Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do lasers have recoil?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
otomik
People say they don't but then people also say crap about gauss weapons having no recoil. seems like their might be some recoil involved, photons have some mass (think of solar sails and stuff like that).

The military is talking about 25 and 100 kilowatt lasers. I'm pretty sure there's got to be a mathematical operation for converting that to joules or foot pounds.
Nylan
Damn...My physics notes are in another city currently! If that weren't the case I could give you a nice conversion. Finally, a practical application for that stuff: determining the recoil of a futuristic laser weapon for a role playing game...

My gut reaction is that they wouldn't have much appreciable recoil, even with high wattage like that. Solar sails are HUGE, and specially designed to be pushed by photons. If I recall from class, even a mole of photons has very little mass, and the kick shouldn't be very much, even with them travelling at 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. By the way, where did you get those numbers from? And for what type of application? That seems like quite a lot, and would take quite a bit of juice to work.

Again, this is just my not-too informed opinion on the matter. I eagerly await anyone with any real knowledge or numbers.
Edward
Given what (little) I know about the mechanism for photon release from exited atom I would say no recoil.

However any weapon grade laser is very loud and can not be fitted with any kind of sound dampening device. Even the stealth and silence spells wont help because it is not the weapon making the noise but the super heated air along the firing path.

Edward
Madda_Gaska
I'm inclined to agree with the negligible recoil opinion.

However, I do have another thought to add on this-
Depending on what sort of laser it is (visible or IR being the most likely ones unless I'm mistaken?), there's one of two major problems for observers.
If it's visible then I'm pretty sure it's meant to cause severe damage to your eyes even if you aren't looking directly at the beam. If it's not then the sound isn't really going to help someone pinpoint the firer anyway (though any heat haze remaining might).

Still, when you've broken out the weapons-grade lasers you probably aren't in the realm of covert operations any more.
otomik
By the way, where did you get those numbers from?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/200...1020-laser1.htm
"Research insolid-state lasers received a major boost last month when the Pentagon quietly launched a $50-million initiative to develop a 25-kilowatt laser by the end of 2004, with the goal of deploying by the end of the decade a 100-kilowatt laser that could be installed on warplanes, tanks and ships.

The most powerful laser currently is a 10-kilowatt model that is being tested by the Army." (this is written in 2002)

Of course recoil is going to have to be very substantial to matter when mounted on vehicles, and i think man-portable lasers would only be useful for target shooting sports, but I'm just curious. Anyway if Lockheed is working on it something will come of it, those guys are serious.
Quix
The way you convert the kiilowatts to joules would be to multiply watts by the length of time for the pulse.

1 Watt=1 Joule/sec

Unfortunately I can't find a table giving equivalent energies for any useful reactions, like TNT or gasoline, much less fire arms.
Sorry

EDIT:
found gasoline: 1.32*10^8 joules per gallon

In order to get the same energy out of a 100 kilowatt laser. The laser would need to be on for 1320 seconds, or 22 minutes to deliver the same kind of energy.
Austere Emancipator
7.62x51mm 150 grains @ 2900fps = 2802 ft-lbs = 3799 J. That means a 100kW laser would only need to be on for ~0.04 seconds to generate the same amount of energy as the 7.62x51mm bullet has at the muzzle.

But that's totally meaningless because the 100kW certainly doesn't all go towards launching particles in one direction. What we need is some physicist telling us exactly how much kinetic energy light has. I Googled for "kinetic energy of light" but I haven't got a clue what all those articles are about.
RangerJoe
Back of the envelope calculations:

E = mc^2

A 100 kW laser, pulsed for 1 second delivers 100x10^3 J of energy as radiation (100 kW = 100 x 10^3 J/s)

Equivalent mass delivered in a 1 second pulse (it's a wave! It's a particle!) = E/c^2.

E/c^2 = 1.11111111x10^-12 kg (using mks units)

Conservation of momentum dictates that mv is conserved. That is, m(phot)v(phot) = m('gun')v('gun'), with v's going off in opposite directions (this is where recoil comes from)

Assuming a 100 kg LASER OF DOOM (those boys at Lockheed are getting good at miniaturization):

(1.111111x10^-12 kg)(3 x 10^8 m/s) = (100 kg)(v 'gun')

v('gun') = 3.3333 x 10-6 m/s. Yup, that's a micrometer per second. Lasers are effectively recoilless (and that's with a 1 seocnd pulse!). Blaze with impunity.

Now it's time for coffee....
Arethusa
Seriously, light pressure is well beyond negligable here.

[edit]

Joe beat me to numbers. Still, point stands.
RangerJoe
Now, it might be cool to have quad lasers shake and shimmy, simulating recoil, a la Star Wars, but that would just look cool.

*wants his smuggler PC to be able to carry a SR version of the heavy blaster pistol*
Nylan
Thanks for the numbers Ranger Joe...if only I had my physics stuff here. And, just to be the biggest nerd ever, I'd like to point out that the blasters in Star Wars fire an energized gas and are not actually 'lasers.' But yes, it would be incredibly bad-ass to have guys toting laser pistols (I've been waiting for this for a long time, Solo...).
mfb
who's this, that thinks gauss weapons wouldn't have recoil? they must be found and punched, so that they might learn.
Kagetenshi
If sufficiently long, they could have negligible impulse.

~J
mfb
you mean reducing felt recoil by using a slower rate of acceleration? true, but then you're looking at a much longer firing time--in the scale at which felt recoil is a problem (hand weapons), you need to be able to fire much more quickly than that. larger weapons don't need to worry about felt recoil as much, since they're generally more firmly braced against the ground. i suppose you might be able to use that technique in order to make gauss guns more viable for mecha, or something.
Arethusa
I think you guys missed the bigger problem: negligable impulse or not, what the hell are gauss weapons being discussed for in a thread about lasers recoiling from light pressure?

Also, side note: recoil is definitely an appreciable problem with artillery. Simply bracing it on the ground doesn't fix everything; there's a reason artillery isn't simply a barrel and a breach at the end.
otomik
I'd like to expand this topic to cover recoil in sci-fi weaponry

I don't know where you get your info on Blasters but my understanding was that Tibana gas is only used in the focusing process to somehow enhance the energy bolt that comes out of the blaster. to me this sounds like a gas dynamic laser. What you described sounds more like the Ion Cannons which might operate on the same principal as Ion Drives, which are also common in the star wars universe. real life ion drives even have the familiar blue glow: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast15jun_1.htm. It might also be that Tibana Gas has properties that make it better than the current day Xenon Gas (or that Tibana Gas is simply the name for Xenon Gas a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away).

One should be hesitant to look at Star Wars this way, explainations could be painful as Midichlorians. Star Wars was created with Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces. If Lucas were ever a hard sci-fi guy he's been in hollywood doing so much coke and for so long... (remember Ewoks movies?)
GrinderTheTroll
Detailed physics aside (nice job you number crunchers!) a bullet that is fired generates recoil because of Newton's 2nd Law of Mothion stating "equal but opposite reaction", so the exploding powder pushing the bullet out of the gun one way, would need to push the opposite direction (your arm, shoulder, whatever) for the bullet to go anywhere.

A laser "pulse" would be generated differently by forcing the release of photons from some souce (this really depends on how you do it). More than likely, energy levels of some type of material is excited and phonts get realease (yeah I know it's not 100% the way it happens), but the main point is there is no "explosion" as compared to it's bullet counterpart.

As it's been stated and shown, the recoil would be negligible.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
More than likely, energy levels of some type of material is excited and phonts get realease (yeah I know it's not 100% the way it happens), but the main point is there is no "explosion" as compared to it's bullet counterpart.

However, the whole point in the "gauss gun" recoil argument is that you don't need any explosion or other mechanic to push in all directions to create recoil. Whenever an object with mass and velocity leaves the weapon, there is recoil. Photons leaving the laser gun will cause recoil, just not enough for the person firing it to notice.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
More than likely, energy levels of some type of material is excited and phonts get realease (yeah I know it's not 100% the way it happens), but the main point is there is no "explosion" as compared to it's bullet counterpart.

However, the whole point in the "gauss gun" recoil argument is that you don't need any explosion or other mechanic to push in all directions to create recoil. Whenever an object with mass and velocity leaves the weapon, there is recoil. Photons leaving the laser gun will cause recoil, just not enough for the person firing it to notice.

I wasn't talking about a gauss weapon, that would have recoil as you stated. As I think about gauss recoil, would it be because the center-of-gravity of the loaded weapon would be shifting as the mass moved along it guide while leaving the weapon? The "push" would be the magnetic field repulsion, not the physical push of explosive gas or the release of photons/particles, etc.

However, my comments were specifically directed at a Laser/photon-like weapon that, as we both mentioned, would have a very small, non-zero recoil compared to either a guass-like or conventional projectile weapon.
Zeel De Mort
Wow how did a thread questioning the recoil of lasers start? As has been shown already, the recoil is TINY - as you'd expect. But more importantly than that, the rules say laser weapons produce no recoil. biggrin.gif

Gauss rifles would still push back on you when you fired them. Depending how long the acceleration chamber is would dictate how long the slug was accelerating for and thus how sharply the kick would be felt, but there would still be a repulsion in the other direction to that which the slug was fired in. Think about when you hold two positively charged magnets close together. They're not touching, there's no explosion or gas being moved etc, but they repel each other.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
Wow how did a thread questioning the recoil of lasers start? As has been shown already, the recoil is TINY - as you'd expect. But more importantly than that, the rules say laser weapons produce no recoil. biggrin.gif

My guess is too many movies and too much Anime.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
My guess is too many movies and too much Anime.

Akira, probably the most recognizable use of lasers in anime, clearly has an absence of recoil.

~J
RangerJoe
I assume a "Gauss" weapon is a "rail gun" type deal? The idea being that current moving through a conductive slug, hung between two conductive rails, will accelerate when a current is run through the system, right?

If this is the case, then a Gauss rifle will produce recoil the same as any other slug thrower. The slug doesn't care (from a Newtonian perspective) whether it accelerates away from the user, or the firearm itself accelerates towards the user. It's all the same thing. The reason that he slug can accelerate away from the user is because the rifle itself is accelerating towards the user. Ye Olde 3rd Law (Newton) is not rendered obsolete just because the rifle uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate the slug and not expanding gas.

It's not magentism at work, just conservation of momentum.
littlesean
But for the same recoil you would get a higher slug velocity, since the gun is not also being pushed back by expanding gas.
Kagetenshi
The slug is accelerated through a coil rather than two rails, which has the advantage of the slug not actually making contact with the rails and thus not causing the kind of wear and tear caused by a railgun. In principle, however, they’re identical; the implementation is the only difference.

~J
KillaJ
Hey science guys, does gauss rhyme with floss, house, or something else entirely?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (littlesean @ Aug 24 2004, 07:43 PM)
But for the same recoil you would get a higher slug velocity, since the gun is not also being pushed back by expanding gas.

Huh? Recoil is recoil.

There is no magic difference between a magnetic field doing the pushing, an expanding gas doing the pushing, or even your arm doing the pushing.

In a gauss gun, the magnetic field pushes back on the gun just like expanding gasses do in a conventional firearm.

But you aren’t also pushing the gasses. Hence, less momentum and less recoil (or, alternately, more velocity on a slug for the same momentum/recoil).

And, IIRC, it rhymes with house, though it’s more common to pronounce it rhyming with moss.

~J
RangerJoe
Gauss sounds sort of like house, aye.

Okay, cool, so its seperation of charges at work (unless you want to shoot permanent magnets only out of the slug thrower). I guess the question is, in a normal firearm, how much momentum is carried off by the gas expanding out the end of the barrel? My guess would be that it's negligible, but the existance of gas vents of all stripes might suggest otherwise.

Recoil would be increased by gas exiting the muzzle of the firearm, which you would not have in an electric system. The question is, how much difference does that make.
TheScamp
n a gauss gun, the magnetic field pushes back on the gun just like expanding gasses do in a conventional firearm.

No, what he's saying is that in a regular firearm, the gasses are still burning even after the bullet leaves the barrel, causing a little "mini-rocket" effect. The recoil on the gun isn't entirely a reaction to the bullet's acceleration, but some is also the result of the wasted explosion that's still got to go somewhere even after the bullet is gone.

With no excess gasses to worry about, he was saying that a gauss weapon of the same recoil could produce higher bullet speeds.
RangerJoe
It's very enlightened to pronounce Gauss like moss. The "ow!" sound (like in house) is much more American. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Gasses are non-negligible, as can be seen by firing a blank.

Scamp: not quite. Even if all the gasses burn off, they’re still something extra pushing.

~J
Pthgar
My buddy, who works with non-destructive testing on automative and aerospace parts using magnetic particle testing, says it's gauss rhymes with "house." I've always pronounced it as rhyming with "gauze." but apparently I'm wrong. Again.
RangerJoe
Cool. So Gauss weapons are like low-cal firearms, not diet firearms. That is to say, you get more velocity per "unit recoil," but by no means is a Gauss weapon "recoilless."
Bigity
I wonder, if under SR3 rules, the skill for firing gauss weapons would be seperate, such as the skill for firing rocket pistols and the like.
TheScamp
That is to say, you get more velocity per "unit recoil," but by no means is a Gauss weapon "recoilless."

Well, you could probably significantly lessen the recoil by pre-accellerating the round in a circular chamber or something, then just divert it to the barrel when you want it to fly. Then again, that would turn the gun into a big ass gyroscope, making aiming kind of difficult.
RangerJoe
In addition to the gyroscoping problem, I don't think that pre-accelerating the round would lessen recoil-- conservation of momentum being the active issue at work.
Austere Emancipator
Assuming that all the propellant gas exits the weapon at the same velocities as the bullet itself, you're looking at the gases making up anywhere from 2.5% (5 grain propellant, 200 grain bullet on a .45 ACP) to 50% (28.5 grain propellant, 56 grain bullet on a 5.56x45mm) of the recoil. That could be off by a bit, depending on exactly how fast the gases tend to exit the weapon compared to the projectile, and then there's gas operation, muzzle brakes, etc messing up with the equation.

Main Entry: gauss
Pronunciation: 'gaus
Although, since many/most speakers of American English will tend to pronounce the beginning of the /au/ diphthong far in the front, it won't sound quite like it would in German.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
It's very enlightened to pronounce Gauss like moss. The "ow!" sound (like in house) is much more American. smile.gif

Actually, it demonstrates that you dont know how to pronounce the word. biggrin.gif

The term gauss taken from the name of Carl Friedric Gauss (spelled "Gauß" in German). He was a total badass in regards to math and physics.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Bigity)
I wonder, if under SR3 rules, the skill for firing gauss weapons would be seperate, such as the skill for firing rocket pistols and the like.

More generically, the "new" (SR3) skill system is really just the old sytem (SR1-2) but we are using the "Concentration" skills as General Skills.

Used to be:

General: Firearms
Concentration: Pistols, Rifle, SMG, Assault Rilfes, Lasers, etc.
Specilization: Ares Predator (Pistol), AK-97 (Assault Rilfle), etc.

Is now:

General: Pistols, Rifle, SMG, Assault Rilfes, Lasers, etc.
Specilization: Ares Predator (Pistol), AK-97 (Assault Rilfle), etc.

So since Gauss Rilfe would be a "Concentration" of Firearms, not a specific "type" and since "magnetic weapons" don't really classify as rockets for the most part, then it probably should have it's own skill under SR3.

Silly yes, but oh well.
Bigity
I know how the old stuff used to work, I usually use a less "broken down" version in my games. I find that making the combat skills take more skill points tends to make players (at least new ones, or more combat types) take all the combat skills and neglect things like Etiquette and other social skills.

Someone remind me though, do Laser Weapons have a seperate skill?
mfb
pre-accelerating would not help. you're still imparting the same velocity to the round as if you'd just accelerated it in a straight line. every action has an equal and opposite reaction, whether the action you're taking is to push a pellet with a magnetic pulse through a straight tube or to redirect an already-moving pellet down that same tube; the recoil would be just as sharp and sudden either way. if you didn't need to worry about getting your shots off quickly, you could accelerate the pellet over the course of a few seconds, which would spread the recoil out over that time period and likely make it so that you don't even feel it. however, you'd have to deal with a 2-3 second delay between the time you squeeze the trigger and the time your pellet shoots out of the barrel of your weapon, so the advantage you gained in low felt-recoil would be completely negated.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Bigity)
I know how the old stuff used to work, I usually use a less "broken down" version in my games. I find that making the combat skills take more skill points tends to make players (at least new ones, or more combat types) take all the combat skills and neglect things like Etiquette and other social skills.

Someone remind me though, do Laser Weapons have a seperate skill?

Yeap there is a Laser Weapons skill.

As far as neglecting other skills, my players just tend to default to things like rocket launchers and laser weapons since they usually don't have them on-tap all the time. Defaulting to a skill isn't nearlly as bad (or complicated) thankfully as it was with that damned skill-web thingy.
Kagetenshi
Yes, they do.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
if you didn't need to worry about getting your shots off quickly, you could accelerate the pellet over the course of a few seconds, which would spread the recoil out over that time period and likely make it so that you don't even feel it. however, you'd have to deal with a 2-3 second delay between the time you squeeze the trigger and the time your pellet shoots out of the barrel of your weapon, so the advantage you gained in low felt-recoil would be completely negated.

You'd also require one hell of a barrel to evenly spread the acceleration of the projectile over one second. If you're more concerned with momentum than energy, you'll want a barrel that's (Muzzle Velocity)/2 x Acceleration Time (units) long. For a 1000m/s (3048fps) muzzle velocity and a 0.1sec acceleration time, that's a 50 meter barrel. In other words, it's a completely useless idea for anything but extremely massive projectiles launched at rather low velocities from a huge mount.
mfb
coiling most of the barrel could make it workable, maybe with a counter gyro around the whole assembly to negate the gyro effects of the pellet itself. but, like i said, what's the point?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
coiling most of the barrel

What would that look like? You're saying the barrel would be in the shape of a coil, ie the projectile would go 'round and 'round as it makes way towards the muzzle? (Which wouldn't help, since you'd still get a sharp recoil as the projectile is directed forwards at the last curve.)
mfb
sorta. the rear part of the spring should be tightly-wound, but as it gets closer to the barrel, it should loosen up and become straighter, until it's fully straight at the end. that way, the transition from 'round-and-'round to straight is steady and slow.
SirBedevere
For what it's worth laser functions are defined by this formula.

I=(P/[{L/F}^2])/R^2

where I=Delivered energy intensity (watts/cm^2)
P=Discharge energy (watts)
L=Wavelength (cm)
F=Focal value (cm)
R=Range (cm)
L/F=Divergance angle (radians)

This is a quote taken from the Traveller TNE book 'Fire, Fusion and Steel' but as far as I know this is correct real world physics.

I don't know if this is any help. When I'm GMing lasers are VERY, VERY diffictult to get hold of which at least cuts down on the problem biggrin.gif

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
the rear part of the spring should be tightly-wound, but as it gets closer to the barrel, it should loosen up and become straighter, until it's fully straight at the end. that way, the transition from 'round-and-'round to straight is steady and slow.

It seems to me that won't allow you to spread the recoil over time without lengthening the barrel regardless. Recoil-wise, all we're interested in is the velocity of the projectile in the intended direction. That's all that's generating recoil. Even if you're forcing the projectile into a cork-screw motion, you'll need the exact same barrel length to get the same recoil spread time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012