Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salvation OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sedna
Oh, irony, thy name is Cheng biggrin.gif
paul_HArkonen
makes more sense than a vengeful, and slightly off human with charisma 3, and a tendancy to just go with the blow it all to hell aproach.
Sedna
Durin's the only one missing, and because of that computer issue, I'm just going to assume he spoke ahead of Alleycat so I won't be the one to stall planning. Hope that's okay.
Kurukami
No prob. The five-minute gap you allowed in the timeline should be more than enough. I dropped in my initial planning comments, should anyone want to check up on them and chip in.
Kurukami
Just in case anyone else was curious, I jumped on Yahoo to grab an overall look at the area our group is likely to be running around in.

Map image (134k)

And this was the concept art that I modified from some SR book's illustration which pretty much fits my concept of Cheng when she's not more formally dressed:

Cheng being a grease-monkey ork.gif
Sedna
Your own artwork (modified notwithstanding)? Nice!
Kurukami
Alas, no. I just took advantage of some graphic design skills I've got. In the original picture, the woman's only got a forelock of hair, and the rest of her head is shaved. I just tweaked it to look like she's got a full head of hair cut pageboy-style. The overall art is, alas, not mine. biggrin.gif
Kurukami
Out of curiosity, WinterRat, just how large a population does this Redwood center have according to the chip Mr. Fan provided us? The transport of several dozen individuals will be a great deal easier than the transport of several hundred... not to mention that not all of them may wish to come back to Seattle with us.

We may, as a group, wish to contact the Ork Underground, or the resistance movement to Saito's troops, or what have you, before we go down there -- so that they can help spirit people away if they don't want to head for Seattle with us. It could add a bit of risk, but I have to imagine that some of them may well have family or friends there in Cal Free. That'll be something we'll need to investigate and discuss when the appropriate time comes.
Shev
Sorry to kind of change Blink on you there, WinterRat. I thought I had a more detailed description of his personality in my contacts list. We'll just say that the elf who greeted us was an assistant smile.gif
WinterRat1
Kurukami- Easily several hundred, pushing the thousands now (so for now, say between 600-800), with more coming in every day. Remember, it's 5 square blocks, and they aren't exactly concerned about comfort, just shoving them in there. As for your other thoughts, consider them noted. When you're ready to deal with it, we'll deal with it.

Shev- You pretty much had 'elven bartender' with about a sentence more. So no worries, however you see him is fine. Makes my life easier. smile.gif
WinterRat1
Just filling in for Neophyte Overlord so action doesn't slow down while he gets his computer fixed. By all means, proceed.
Neophyte Overlord
New computer is in. It's getting all conected and running this weekend, so I should be posting regularly come Monday.

Sorry for the trouble.
paul_HArkonen
I'm assuming that it is possible to notice a difference in the aura of a person who's jacked in and one who isn't, my group has done this but i'm not sure if its house rule or not.
WinterRat1
Given a solid perception roll, I'd say it's possible to read "general emotional state or impression" as to whether or not they're all there (i.e. jacked in or not).
paul_HArkonen
ok, thanks
Digital Heroin
Appologies are in order for my tardiness... thankfully it only seems in character, neh?
paul_HArkonen
no problem, although i do have to ask, how well could our riggers drive the trucks?
Shev
Does anyone know where Kurukami is? S/he hasn't been around since the 18th...
WinterRat1
Don't know. I'll give it a day or two, and if he/she doesn't post, I'll post an approximation of her skill with the truck.
WinterRat1
Don't forget to keep checking World OOC for your karma updates, everyone, last two weeks are back to back up there.

And Kurukami, do you just enjoy changing the location tags? I finally noticed that room became groom in one of your posts, and you not only made that change, you just didn't post your location on that last one. Accidental, or were you just seeing how long before anyone noticed? I admit, it took me a while. question.gif
Kurukami
I'm back. Sorry all... been busy in RL. I'm at work right now... is there a different skill for large trucks than for cars?

And yup, WinterRat, the changing of the location tags is accidental. biggrin.gif I definitely didn't mean to fubar it like that. Off to edit my posts...
Kurukami
Good gods, have I derailed the thread?
WinterRat1
I don't think so. I pretty much saw little, if any, posting in general on dumpshock this past weekend. Did something happen that was a major event that would've caused this phenomenon that I'm simply unaware of? Anyway all, if no one says anything in the next day or two (RL) I'll assume you've all accepted the plan and Cheng, as group leader, has assigned jobs that you've simply accepted and ask Cheng what those jobs are. So drop your opinions, or be at her mercy. biggrin.gif
Kurukami
*bump*
Sedna
Hopefully this integrates a bit of everyone's, without absolutely derailing anything and while adding a few hopefully useful thoughts.
(Back! smile.gif )
Shev
Making a Shadowland search, which is basically an Etiquette (Matrix) test (p.66 SRComp). I use my Camo program to throw off tracking attempts, I jump from RTG to RTG, etc. Basic methods of throwing off any attempts to locate me.

For the Shadowland search, I roll 4 2 1 and 1. Ouch.

Shev
Just to reply to your wry little comment, Sedna, the camera isn't hidden. It's in plain view... on the telecom in the room spin.gif
Sedna
wobble.gif nyahnyah.gif smile.gif
Shev
So, I know I had a horrible roll, but does that mean Avalanche doesn't find anything, or just finds a little, or what? And how will we handle the post in the Shadowland thread, exactly?
Sedna
When she returned to her apartment, Alleycat sent out knowbots through open-access Matrix and through Shadowland, with a time limit. The subjects were:

* roads (between Seattle and California), condition
* satellite weather imagery of the area (that should be open access, more or less)
* border requirements
* San Francisco
* eta camps generally
* "Redwood County Center for the Protection, Education, and Relocation of Metahumans" (especially staff list, if available)
* Alexander Wong and sister (she's also entering the picture and physical and other data in case something comes up under a different name)

After eliminating everything that she can't see as relating directly to the team's needs (ie. virtually all history) and sorting and indexing the rest, she'll chip the results, one copy for each team member, and print off one copy for a file to take to the meet.

It's not Etiquette as such for this roll, since I'm not looking to interact with people: maybe Computer/IN/hacking pool?, maybe with Security Procedures as a secondary skill? Let me know what you need.
WinterRat1
Sedna- Sounds fine. Go ahead and roll

Shev- It depends really, on the nature of the roll and the interaction. Normally, someone would simply reply to you on Shadowland. Of course, it's up to you to decide how much you trust the veracity of the information. However, in this particular case, I'll tell you that you will receive no replies. You may interpret this as either no one having the information you seek, or no one trusting you enough to come forward with any useful info. (you receive no responses due to your low roll. WHY they don't respond is for you to decide. You may assess which you believe more likely and proceed accordingly.) Did that make sense?
Sedna
Rolled:

Security procedures: 5, 2, 1
Computer + hacking; partial default against IN: 9, 8, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 1
Shev
That's fine. I may have to reply to my own post, and exand a bit more than Avalanche would have originally liked. He might reveal his race (but not his albinism) and come right out and say it's a run that'll "give it to Saito where it hurts". Nothing too explicit (nothing is truly hidden in Shadowland...) but perhaps enough to merit a re-roll?

Keep in mind, this also represents Avalanche searching through databases looking for profiles that look promising as potential contacts. I assume this search turned up nothing, but another search might have someone reply, or come up with a name that might be useful.

Anyways, I'm conducting the test again. Don't forget this test gets a -2 modifer to TN smile.gif (being on Shadowland)

I get 2, 3, 5, and 5.
Sedna
I'm sorry Shev -- it's just that for some reason the combination of your noting the SL TN adjustment and your signature came across as incredibly funny to me. (I need this laughing smiley!)
Shev
heh, it is rather ironic. I just came up with that becuase it seemed whenever you try to do something immediately after you fail, you usually get a +2 to your TN, so I thought it was catchy smile.gif

Not sure if it applies to matrix searchs, but it's up to WinterRat to decide.
Digital Heroin
Steele's going to make three calls:

The first is to Sgt. Greenly, to see if he can get a little bit of talk stirred up about his being let go on the cop nets, something he was trying to hide before.

The second is to Duffy, to offer him a place to stay for a little while, in exchange for a little bit of decking to get a quick approval on a visitor's visa for Tir, and a work visa for Cali to be tacked onto his SIN.

The third is to Z, to see what he can gather about the camp as a prospective legit employer.
WinterRat1
Sedna-
* roads (between Seattle and California), condition

No sweat on this one, consider yourself to have relevant details. In general, the roads are being heavily patrolled and the borders tightly guarded on the Cali side. Things are chaotic enough without letting any troublemakers (read: people like yourselves) over into the state.

* satellite weather imagery of the area (that should be open access, more or less
)
You've got it, when it's relevant, just ask

* border requirements

Visa required, ID scans, pretty solid checks, better have some good traveling papers or forgeries in order. Note that on the major highways, there's a good chance you'll run into troops, not just joe schmoe guards. Especially as you get closer to the Bay Area.

* San Francisco

Saito's the man. It's crazy and dangerous, and if you're a meta...consider relocation. Anything in particular you wanted here?

* eta camps generally

Eta camps? What eta camps? They only have Centers for the Protection, Education, and Relocation of Metahumans. That's the offical spin. The unoffical spin- think Japanese internment camps in the US during WWII. Not quite genocide or anything close. But it's only a hop, skip and a jump away.

* "Redwood County Center for the Protection, Education, and Relocation of Metahumans" (especially staff list, if available)

Nothing. It appears to be an isolated system, either that or you turned up blank.

* Alexander Wong and sister (she's also entering the picture and physical and other data in case something comes up under a different name)

Your knowbots lacked the hacking to get into any systems that had data on them.

Shev- Check Shadowland

Digital- Note that you haven't sent me your 20 questions or a more thorough bio yet, so I lack info on your contacts beyond a one sentence summary. If you could send that to me, it would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, roll etiquette for each contact. Note: I recognize an etiquette roll may not be appropriate for all of these requests/contacts, but since i lack detail on them or the nature of their relationship with you at this time, we'll go with the standard SR system for this for the time being.
WinterRat1
Note: At this point it may be a blur whether or not posts should be here, in Shadowland IC, or in LITS: World IC. A general guideline is, if it is focused on or related to the run, directly or indirectly, it should be in Salvation, or Shadowland IC, if it's Matrix related. If it is more personally related and not connected with the run, put it in World IC.

For example, Tin Star's calls to contacts on possible help for the run should be in Salvation, while Avalanche's digging in the Matrix should be on Shadowland IC, since that's what it's there for. Kurukami's...extracurricular activities should be in World IC, since it's of a personal nature and has nothing to do with the run.

Just a clarification that hopefully will help clear things up a bit as to which posts belong where.

Oh, and by all means please narrate and elaborate on your encounters/calls/investigations. Of such things role-playing, stories, and bonus karma are made. wink.gif
Sedna
Trying to keep this relatively short ...

Mostly the intent behind the knowbots is to fill out general information she and other team members might need but which she doesn't have at all, from both the public and the Shadowland povs. That covers the direction of most of the queries; and that's why the overview summary chips for everyone: so in most cases the general information is fine.

Pity I can't check up on Mr. Fan wink.gif

Roads, borders, San Francisco, camps (I assume they'd be called "eta" or "internment" in Shadowland (except by the Humanis types), "relocation" on the public nets, anything else of that sort: all these are mostly overviews, but in such a way as to get a "feel" for the area even possibly as a "native", with the possibility of miscellaneous odd and potentially interesting details. (Consider the Aztlan reporter's Yucatán article and interview for one example of how these kinds of details sneak in.) No need to specify at this point: just wanted the possibility of their existence in the research.

Wrt weather satellites and their multiple spectra imaging: those images don't usually require hacking, but sometimes those things pick up things they aren't expected to. I'm hoping for possible linear heat patterns on the camp ... ie. utilities running hot (electrical?) and cold (water, sewer?). The resolution at least should be good enough for that.

Nothing. It appears to be an isolated system, either that or you turned up blank.

Your knowbots lacked the hacking to get into any systems that had data on them.

Holes are informative too. I'm not the hacker of the team and recognise it, so these knowbots weren't designed with hacking skills beyond letting them loose on SL (standard means of searching for information there) ... but they were designed to pick up the Matrix locations which "pinged" a name, but which they couldn't get into. Those go into a separate "Attention" file for Miss Cheng and Avalanche. Eventually, I'll really be hoping for a camp staff list and what the standard camp prisoner processing routine is ... that second one might even be openly available (if not under the word "prisoner").

(Incidentally, the timing and request allow me to connect Avalanche with his on-Matrix handle. The current Matrix thread will almost certainly have come up within my search parameters. If I can confirm (casual about-to-be-upcoming conversation?), I'll forward those locations his way asap.)
Sedna
Shev, in your next post, write in whatever you feel appropriate to getting rid of Alleycat and getting free to do your own thing (even if does end up with her taking the bus): I'm okay with whatever you decide. IIRC the Puyallup civic centre should be B or C security: it's unique in Puyallup that way. You probably don't want to drive her all the way home: it's a tiny dive in a not-quite-Barrens area, but also not-so-great part of Puyallup.
WinterRat1
Sedna- Assume that you an just ask me for general information when/if the need arises. Was there anything else more specific that I missed?
Shev
Just to check: Sedna, Alleycat gave Avalanche the contact info for everyone else, right?
WinterRat1
Quick question, no one is waiting on me for anything, are they?

Digital, I haven't forgotten you, I'm waiting for you to post your calls in game before responding. Kurukami, I'm just eagerly anticipating any post you have, especially any flavor ones, since you've always got some entertaining ones. biggrin.gif
The rest of you, didn't miss anything, right? Just let me know.
Sedna
Unfortunately, Shev, I don't think anyone gave out personal contact information, and Alleycat hadn't thought to ask before he mentioned it. (Although I'd be surprised if something of the sort hadn't been dropped in Shadowland somewhere.) We have the chip copies from Lady Cheng (I don't know her Matrix handle in-game), we have the street names of everyone on our team, and you can assume Alleycat summarised for you anything that was said in your absence.

However, you can safely assume that everything the knowbots pulled up (including the places on the Matrix which were pinged but inaccessible), Avalanche receives at the end of the day ... privately addressed to his Matrix handle.
Shev
Ok.

Hmmm, crap.

When I get home WinterRat, I'd like to make a SL search on all the street names of the team, and see if I can get anyones contact info. Making a computer + 6 hacking pool test:

I get 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 7, and 8.
Sedna
I'll also preempt part of that roll -- if Avalanche asked Alleycat about this while giving her a ride home, she'll give him her cell number. So that's one down at least.
WinterRat1
Everyone except Sedna and Shev- Avalanche is looking for you all. Is it reasonable to assume you gave each other contact information at some point, or do you want to make him work? Post so I know who he has to track down and who we can just say he knows how to get in touch with.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Sedna)
We have the chip copies from Lady Cheng (I don't know her Matrix handle in-game),

I was thinking about going with "Pirate Queen". That's what I posted in the Shadowland thread under, anyways, and it matches the icon imagery that I'd initially put forth. Basically both that and her alias "Lady Cheng" are based off of some actual history.
Kurukami
Regarding the search, I would've probably given out a cell number with a fictitious alias -- one paid through a certified credstick, not tied to either of the two cover ID's I've got. Avalanche may certainly search, but since "Miss Cheng" doesn't correspond to any of the identitys or addresses that she has, it could be difficult for him to track down useful data.

On the other hand, the name "Cheng" likely would've turned up the Pirate Queen web-alias.
paul_HArkonen
Blaze would have given it to him.

In terms of his street rep Blaze would be fairly unheard of on the matrix, (most of his work being in meat world and astral) but most of the info on him will turn up a shaman who is short of toxic, but of the avenger ideology.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012