Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elemental Effects
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
It is important to remember that Elemental effects only half the effectivness of Immunity to Normal Weapons. A Spirit hit with a super soaker still has an effective armor rating equal to its force. Unless your squirt gun does at least 2L damage it is as useless against a Force 1 Fire Elemental as it is against a metahuman.
Espiritu
Lol, I meant to be facetious about the healing... I'd want to point out to my players how obviously ridiculous that was to do.
Kagetenshi
I'm up in the air about it. I may be just fine with the way it is, depending on how I end up viewing elementals.

~J
Botch
In regards to fire elementals being damaged by lack of oxygen would you allow halon gas fire extinguishers, Espiritu?
Kremlin KOA
super soaker was partially a joke, fire hose level of water blast would be better
Espiritu
QUOTE (Botch)
In regards to fire elementals being damaged by lack of oxygen would you allow halon gas fire extinguishers, Espiritu?

That's a great idea you have there Botch.
Of most weapons to use against a Fire Elemental, a halon extinguisher in my eyes would be a very powerful way to harm it. I just don't know what Power code or Damage code I'd give it. A hose attached to a fire hydrant would also be quite effective...(That is you would have to understand how to put out a fire that could fly...Since both Air and Fire have 3D movement.)

A killer combination would be to Put A Spirit Barrier around the Elemental while someone walked up and just blasted the water and Halon gas right in to envelop it.

I looked up how the Elemental Weaknesses work. All it does is Add one Damage Rating to elemental effects that they are weak against. So a Damage Rating of Medium would be a Serious if it was their vulnerability. So a thought occurred to me. If the damage was from the element type that they were composed of, would it be fair to say the damage was staged down? And for all other elemental types to be used against them normal damage?

For me their vulnerabilities are pretty simple to judge, and their immunities are as well. A Fire Elemental should be able to pass through an inferno of fire and come out pretty swell on the other end. An Air Elemental through a hurricane without much trouble, and earth elemental across unstable terrain. This is represented well by just staging similar similar elemental damage codes down and vulnerabilities up.

I completely disagree with any STUN damage harming them. The elementals do not have vital organs to pummel so how do you knock them out?

Lastly, the only elementals that I can find to be Immune to Normal Weapons are Great Elementals. I can not find anything else to back up that the "standard" elemental is immune to Normal Weapons.
Brazila
It is in the materalize power for spirits, it gives them essence *2 armor.
Kagetenshi
I think the problem here is that Fire Elementals are being taken as big blobs of fire, which they aren't. Others have said that it's ridiculous for fire elementals to be damaged by fire; I think it's more ridiculous for them to be damaged by halon.

Or, to put it another way: fire elementals can exist just fine in a vacuum.

~J
Espiritu
So why ask me objectively if Halon would, if you already knew that it does nothing? Lol. You could have provided that for a much quicker and considurate answer.

I was unaware of the fact that a Fire ELemental could exist in complete vacum.
Apathy
I think I'd factor in some amount of damage associated with any weapon specifically designed to combat the specific element. If you require a canon reference, I'd note that bug spirits have immunity to poisons and pathogens, but they have a vulnerability to insectisides. The two are virtually the same thing; the only different is that one was specifically built for destroying bugs while the other wasn't. If I used that as my guide, a halon extinguisher would do great against a fire elemental, as would a fire hose, but the spray nozzle on one of those power car wash thingies would be much less effective (even if it were so big that it somehow had the same damage code.)
BitBasher
Note the fact that bug spirits have that explicitly listed in their description, whereas elementals do not.
Botch
Oh how I love the implicit/explicit world of SR.
Lilt
Nowadays, I rule that only vast energy changes applied to the spirit's form are counted as elemental damage. This means that Crushing, Light, Electricity, Acid, Fire, and Blast effects work (probably others) but bullets aren't as effective as they don't hit enough of the spirit.

Water guns do crushing damage, so they get through. Crusing an elemental in a garbage truck would work (assuming it didn't just de-materialise), but smacking it with a hammer is too targeted and thus the elemental's immunity power counts at full effect against it.
Botch
So how big a hammer and how small an elemental do you need to make it work. Low force spirit facing troll with big frying-pan?

Play tested....

We used this last night to a nice effect. Weak elemental invades Crunch the giant's kitchen. WHACK, bye-bye little air element. WHACK-WHACK, bye-bye slightly larger air elemental. WHOOSH-WHOOSH-WHOOSH - Crunch, say hello to angry elemental who didn't like its head being whooshed.

Heh, heh, and he thought it was a magic frying pan. biggrin.gif
Cain
If you want something for earth, try requiring the use of alchemical radicals. I generally don't have a problem with players using those for anti-spirit bullets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012