Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealing a foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Zenmaxer
:: grins :: Believe it or not, one of my players did that. it gets worse... he was a wujen so it put him in the wood domain for summoning purposes whenever he wanted.
Fortune
Groan. ohplease.gif biggrin.gif
toturi
Hey, if he sets it on fire, he'll be in the fire domain. biggrin.gif
Zenmaxer
:: nods :: I think you've got a handle on how this guy behaved.

So you guys think an aura isn't solid and that it does not in any way obscure other astral objects contained within it?
Fortune
Unless the Aura covering the Focus was a barrier of some kind in and of itself. The Ivy coat may be facetious, but it should work as an Astral Barrier, thereby obscuring everything behind/beneath it. Of course, the coat itself will glow as any magically-active living organism does, so it wouldn't be a stealthy method.

Just trying to obscure the Focus within the Aura of the mage wouldn't work though, as each Aura is quite distinct, and can be scanned and identified using Aura Reading/Perception/whatever.
Zenmaxer
I agree with you on that point, but what I'm wondering about is how deep one sees into an aura. I'm under the impression that they're fairly solid and you only see cyberware because it reduces the overall glow of the aura in that area, not because you can look at see the individual "holes" it makes.

next question: does focii size have an effect on ease of perception??
Fortune
QUOTE (Zenmaxer)
I agree with you on that point, but what I'm wondering about is how deep one sees into an aura. I'm under the impression that they're fairly solid and you only see cyberware because it reduces the overall glow of the aura in that area, not because you can look at see the individual "holes" it makes.

Try looking at an Aura as the essence (no pun intended) of the being...a summary of everything that being has to tell, such as his current health, the presence of cyberware, the presence of awakened genes, etc. Any foreign Auras trying to hide within the core of the being will be reflected by the host's Aura, and while the hidden Focus might not be immediately identifiable, it will none-the-less be detected.

This type of problem is completely within the realm of the Masking Metamagic, and is one of the main benefits from getting it as early as possible. There is really no other reliable substitute for Masking.

does focii size have an effect on ease of perception??

No, the TN for perception is based on Force, IIRC. An exception could probably be made for some huge Power Locus, but in any other case it isn't really relevant.
Zenmaxer
:: nods :: That sounds kinda reasonable, even if the SR fluff doesn't really support that... let me go look for the assensing success test table.

as for size, the reason I was asking is because there's no lower limit for a focus. a sufficiently determined munchkin could micromill low force foci.... which would prolly be rather hard to see.
Fortune
Astrally Active is Astrally Active. A Focus still glows, no matter how minor its Force. The munchkin-in-question would be doing things in a legal manner, and is still limited by Focus Addiction. He'll go through hell going through Wards...it's a pain to shut down and recast multiple spells reliably. Let him try, and let natural consequences show him that while it might be cool some of the time, nothing is that good that it can be used all the time. wink.gif
Zenmaxer
:: nods :: however, small foci do rock when inactive..

-from the assensing table-
1-2 successes "The general state of health...along with the presence or absence of cyberware."

however you'd need 3-4 to glean even the general location of them. and 5+ to figure out just where they are. I think meeting in the middle is fairly logical and forcing the aggressor to successfully assense the target to notice the foci is not absurd.
Canid13
Definately. Assence the mage's aura and if you get 2 sucesses then you've spotted the aura within the aura.
Fortune
Yep, that's how I'd work it. Actual specific identification of the previously hidden Aura would require a new Assencing test.
Kagetenshi
I'd require at most one success, if I required an assencing test at all. Probably Perception at TN 2 or 3.

Correction: identification, you're right, would require the test. Just spotting it, I'd say no.

~J
Zenmaxer
Okay, let's agree to disagree, Kage. I'd require 1-2 successes on the initial assensing test for most cyberware foci, and 5+ if they aren't active. I think it's a fair trade, considering the difficulty of upgrading the implanted foci.
Kagetenshi
I'll disagree to agree nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

~J
Zenmaxer
:: bows slightly and tips my jester hat ::
As you would... This has actually been quite helpful, as the campaign my friend is running centers on a finnish enchanteering business
Fortune
Any rule that's even close to fair is fine, as long as it's consistant. smile.gif
Zenmaxer
and vaguely consistent with the canon, which all floated ideas here are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012