Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new Matrix run thread?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GlassJaw
, please resist reading for now, you can go back and look later

Don't touch this shiny red button! Must resist....ok, I made my Willpower test. smile.gif

Ok, just to review, I've been hired by someone who has been embezzeling money from a small corporation. His superior has proof of this and has also removed him from the promotion computer (what a shocker - he sounds like a very motivated employee).

So my tasks are:

1. Erase the proof of his embezzling.
2. Make a copy implicating his superior.
3. Put the copy in a place where the supervisor won't be able to erase it.
4. Add his name to the promotion computer and ensure he's the one getting the promotion.

What I know:

The entire corp is connected to the Matrix except for some backup computers. I also have the password that controls the corp's thermostat which has no specific username.

Here's what I'm thinking: finding the proof of the embezzelment, making a copy, and erasing it should be somewhat straight forward. I then can edit the file to include the superior's name (do I know his name?).

Putting in a place where he won't be able to erase I'm not too sure of yet. My first thought was the offline backup comps but why would they be there in the first place and how am I supposed to get access to the physical location (is that out of the realm of this run?).

I then need to access the employee database (or something) and put my client's name at the top of the promotion list.

I also realized I kind of ignored the fact of where I'm jacking in from. For simplicity, I wanted to jump right into the run itself.

-----------

Question: Analyze operations are opposed by the system's security right? So if do an Analyze Security, my security tally could still be going up right?

-----------

Ok, what are my options now? Do I have to figure out what icons are what inside? Can I do a Locate File to find records of my client in the database?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
3. Put the copy in a place where the supervisor won't be able to erase it.

Addendum: also someplace where someone else will find it.

My first thought was the offline backup comps but why would they be there in the first place and how am I supposed to get access to the physical location (is that out of the realm of this run?).

That's not the method I was thinking of. This little bit is intended to encourage creative problem-solving rather than to be difficult in and of itself.
I also realized I kind of ignored the fact of where I'm jacking in from.  For simplicity, I wanted to jump right into the run itself.

I'm fine with that.
Question: Analyze operations are opposed by the system's security right?  So if do an Analyze Security, my security tally could still be going up right?

Correct.
Ok, what are my options now?  Do I have to figure out what icons are what inside?  Can I do a Locate File to find records of my client in the dat

You can do a Locate File, or you can look for icons to try to spot security deckers, other SANs, active IC, or your uncle Joe-Bob. You get the feeling that the system has noticed something, so it might be a good time to get something done quick and then leave for a while.

Now I'm away to class, I'll be back in a few hours. Feel free to mull over and post actions while I'm gone.

~J
GlassJaw
also someplace where someone else will find it

Ok gotcha. Copy, erase original, edit, replace in a visible area.

That's not the method I was thinking of. This little bit is intended to encourage creative problem-solving rather than to be difficult in and of itself.

Hmm, is it a red herring? Maybe I can put it in a place where data/files are put before they are backed up. That way, it will get on the offline servers and someone will most likely see it.

Or maybe I could post it in their public database so legal visitors will see it. Ooh, that might work. devil.gif

You can do a Locate File, or you can look for icons to try to spot security deckers, other SANs, active IC, or your uncle Joe-Bob

I think I'll try to do a Locate File to find the records of my client, make a copy and upload it to my headware memory (leaving the original for now), and then split. Then I can edit the file off-line and return later and replace the original with the edited one.
Kagetenshi
I'm back and ready to respond to all actions.

~J
GlassJaw
Can I find something that resembles a file system or database? If so, I'll do a Locate File with the name of my client.

My Browse is 6 so I'm guessing my TN is 5.

1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 7, 8, 8. Should be ok for 5 successes...I think.
Eyeless Blond
In the interest of sparking some ideas for our (anti)hero, I've got a couple of questions for Kagetenshi:

-Re. "some backup computers which should not have copies of the incriminating files": do you mean should not as in they won't currently have them, or should not as in this particular information is not normally backed up? Would sending it off to the backup computers, if that's even possible, set off a warning somewhere?
-Re. thermostat password: On the surface this seems more like a hook for a decker to get on-site, but it may have its uses elsewhere as well. First off, can the thermostats be controlled via the Matrix? Second question: is the password good anywhere else/for anything else?
-How much time does Glassjaw have?

Food for thought: How big is this corporation? How much money are we talking? Most importantly, how important would anyone outside the corp find it that this money was embezzled?
Kagetenshi
You have questions, I have answers.

By "should not have copies", I mean that the incriminating files were stored in places that are not backed up and thus our antihero won't have to physically intrude and trash the backups.

It was implied that the thermostat was matrix-enabled; certainly, the person who gave Glassjaw this job said he found it while a superior was adjusting the temperature from their cyberterminal. As for if it's good anywhere else, it has no associated username so it's of limited value, but there's a chance that it's either the password for something else or one half of a username/password pair.

For time, it wasn't specified. Presumably, "before the supervisor spills the beans". Contact would like to have it ASAP (wouldn't you?) but time is not of the essence.

The corp is an accounting wing for a larger corp. No mention is made of how much or little money.

~J

Eyeless Blond
Accounting wing for a larger corp, eh? This larger corp got a name?

And as a hint of where I'm going with this, let's just say, "News at 11." biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
You search and you search and you search. You find a few files that match, but none are the one you're looking for.

You can read this spoiler if you want to know what's going on and you haven't figured it out for yourself:

[ Spoiler ]

Please don't read this spoiler 'till this minirun is over.

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
The larger corporation is Media Technologies, PLC.

~J
GlassJaw
You can read this spoiler if you want to know what's going on and you haven't figured it out for yourself

Ok, I just read it. I had NO idea about the 5 successes thing but I did just find it in SR3. I'm learning already!

So I'll try again: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 7, 10, 11

(I didn't read the 2nd spoiler)
Kagetenshi
In short order, you find what you were looking for. A file with some basic and trivial encryption (don't even bother rolling, it doesn't even try to scramble itself on a failed decryption attempt), matching the description your contact gave.

Another spoiler-not-to-be-read. Assume they're like that unless I say otherwise.

[ Spoiler ]
GlassJaw
Ok, I'm going to download this file (Download Data operation) and get the heck out of here because I have a feeling I'm close to setting something off.

First, I swap out my Decrypt and Browse utilities and swapin Read/Write.

My R/W is 6 and I'm guessing the TN is 7 (13-6). Ouch. Needless to say, I need all 6 dice from my HP.

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 9, 10, 15. Not bad, should be 3 successes.

Depending what happens, I could try to press my luck and do an Analyze Security to see where I'm at. I could then try an Edit File to get rid of the original. We'll see what happens...back to you K.
Kagetenshi
Ah, the downfalls of only bringing Matrix. Anyone else have the rules for a Swap Memory operation? Is it just an amount of time spent, or is there a test for some reason?

~J
Ouchies
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Ah, the downfalls of only bringing Matrix. Anyone else have the rules for a Swap Memory operation? Is it just an amount of time spent, or is there a test for some reason?

~J

simple action. once he tells the deck to do it, it does it. no check needed.
GlassJaw
simple action. once he tells the deck to do it, it does it. no check needed.

And I think it really only comes into play is in combat. If you are just sitting idle in the Matrix, I think you can swap stuff to your heart's content. At least that's how I read it. If there's something that very time-dependent, then it becomes an issue.
Axe
I think the amount you can swap in a turn is based on your deck's I/O, but most programs aren't big enough to really make that a problem for a good deck. Also, it only really matters in combat. I wouldn't think it requires a check because it only affects your deck, not the host.

That being said I have none of my books here and may be making this all up.
GlassJaw
Swap Memory
Test: None
Utility: None
Action: Simple

The Swap Memory operation enables a decker to load a new utility program into his deck's active memory and then upload it to his on-line icon.
    Loading hte utility to active memory is a Simple Action - the decker simply tells the deck to do it.  If his deck does not have enough active memory to hold the new program, he must first spend a Free Action to unload a program for these actions.
    Once the utility is in active memory, it automatically starts uploading to the icon.  See Ongoing Operations, p. 214, for details on just when the utility will be available to the persona.
Kagetenshi
You grab the file, but you definitely feel some bits shifting out of place around it as you do so.

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Axe)
I wouldn't think it requires a check because it only affects your deck, not the host.

It might require a Null Operations test, but for now we'll skip it.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Eh. I'm not sure how much I like having to do Null Ops *every* Combat Turn you're hacked into something. Maybe every half hour or so, but otherwise any kind of Overwatch is completely impossible. But that's just me whinning.

Any chance of the spoiler sections seeing the results of Sensor tests and other such background as well? It could be instructive.

(Edit:) Besides, swapping in R/W takes less than a second, literally. Unless this file is unreasonably large for an accounting statement it shouldn't take much longer. Anyway, no biggie.
GlassJaw
You grab the file, but you definitely feel some bits shifting out of place around it as you do so

Ok, I don't like the sound of that. Time to get out of dodge.

Assuming no Null Op test is required, I'm going to try a Graceful Logoff.

My Deception is 6:

1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 9, 10

Assuming I get out, I'll then edit the file offline by putting the boss's name in place of my client. I'll wait an hour or so then head back in....
Kagetenshi
You try to log off, but your view derezzes briefly as your disconnect signal is rejected.

[ Spoiler ]
GlassJaw
You try to log off, but your view derezzes briefly as your disconnect signal is rejected.

Umm, what does that mean...?

Ok, I know things are probably pretty bad right now. How about an Analyze Security? (Analzye 6)

1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 8, 9, 9

I think I need to look up the rules for an "Un"-Graceful Logoff too. eek.gif
Kagetenshi
It means that you failed to log off. There are three common reasons for this. The first, Black IC, you can pretty much discount. The other two are failure to get a success or the host getting the same or more successes than you. Keep in mind that you can try again.

Ungraceful logoffs leave datatrails that can be followed to your jackpoint.

Still analyzing, or trying logoff again?

~J
GlassJaw
Probe IC could affect my logoff too right? That would make my TN really high. Is there a chance I didn't see it but it's affecting? If so, I might have to try to find it and destroy.

Before I do that, I'll try another Graceful Logoff:

1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 10, 10, 11, 11
Kagetenshi
You catch sight of a gray blob rushing towards you as you sever connection with the system. The room snaps into focus around you.

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
Probe IC could affect my logoff too right? That would make my TN really high. Is there a chance I didn't see it but it's affecting? If so, I might have to try to find it and destroy.

There’s certainly a chance for you not to notice, that’s what makes Probe so scary. IIRC it adds dice to the system’s security test rather than raising your TN, but that does indirectly make it more difficult to perform operations.

~J
GlassJaw
Ok, I read the spoiler on this one just because I wanted to see why I was able to get out. Can I go back and read the others?

So I was up to about 12 on the security tally. Why didn't I notice any IC before? Is it because my Sensor test didn't detect anything? What can I do to be more aware when things happen?
Kagetenshi
You didn’t perform a Locate IC operation, and the IC, while proactive, didn’t start proacting yet. I suppose you can read the other spoilers, but if you do I’ll be rerandomizing the security sheaf. The security rating and soforth will remain the same, though.

~J
GlassJaw
I suppose you can read the other spoilers, but if you do I’ll be rerandomizing the security sheaf

Nah, I won't read them. No biggie.

Ok, so how do I edit the file offline?

How big of a file is it anyway? What is the general scope of the contents? What did my client embezzel?, How much?, How did his boss find out, etc?
Kagetenshi
You can edit it however you’d like; it’ll be a Computers test against a low TN (again, negligible protection). The contents are a bunch of receipts, statements, and some system logs, as well as a security photo. From what you can tell, it seems to span the course of several years, amounting to a total take of about sixty-five thousand nuyen, a decent chunk of it in a car that was signed over to your friend under suspicious circumstances. No mention is made of how the evidence was discovered.

~J
GlassJaw
Ok, cool. Can do I a global find and replace with my client's name and his boss? Then I want to delete the security photo as well.

My Computer is 6 and I have a TP of 3:

2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 11, 11, 14
Kagetenshi
You do so with ease. Anything else you want to do?

~J
GlassJaw
Anything else you want to do?

Uhh, is there anything else I should be doing?

After I do that, I'll probably wait about an hour and then head back in. The first thing I'll do when I get back in is erase the original file and replace it with the one I just modified. Then I'll have to find a "public" place the file as well. Maybe I'll look for a public company message board or something. I could even hack the company's home page. We'll see.

I'll then have to find the employee database and see if it has promotion info.

Do you want to go through the Logons again?
Kagetenshi
You can do whatever to the file, just checking what you wanted. You do have to perform the Logon operations again, though.

~J
GlassJaw
You do have to perform the Logon operations again

Which ones do I actually need? Do I have to Logon to the LTG, then the RTG, then another LTG, the the PTG? Let's say I'm in the Redmond LTG. Where do I go from there? What LTG is the corp located?
Kagetenshi
The corp itself is on the same RTG as you are, but a different PLTG. I suppose we skipped a LTG logon earlier: you’ll be going LTG > RTG > LTG > PLTG.

~J
GlassJaw
Yikes. I can really see how your security tally can rise fast. I never really realized the benefits of jacking in from the inside. Of course, you have to get inside.

Anyway, here are my Logon attempts, all with Deception 6.

LTG: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 5, 5, 8, 8, 8, 9

RTG: 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 9, 10, 17

LTG: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 9, 10, 17

Host (PTG): 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 10, 10

PHEW!!

Kagetenshi
You reach the PLTG with little incident, bumping into the errant bit here and there.

[ Spoiler ]
hobgoblin
about that null op. what you do is to basicly tally the time the icon of the decker sits idle and then use that to set the targetnumber for the null op. basicly the longer you sit around the easyer it will become for the host to detect that something funny is going on.

i like the use of spoiler tags in this thread wink.gif

and swapping in a app can be done in the background and you can have more then one operation running at the same time (you just have to multiplex the bandwidth available, just like opening multiple webpages or downloading more then one file at a time in real life). its just the initiation of the swap mem operation that takes a simple action (either when you yourself is in combat or when the rest of the team is on combat. take a look at the non-combat actions section on page 209 in sr3. i defines a nice system for use both to time how long stuff takes and for when a decker is in the system while his team mates are in combat).
GlassJaw
You reach the PLTG with little incident, bumping into the errant bit here and there.

Ok, I'm going to head right back to where I found the original file. Do I need to do another Locate File?

If not, I'm going to do an Edit File and delete the original and then do an Upload Data to replace it with the one I editted. My R/W is 6 and IIRC, the system's File rating is 13.

Edit File (erase original): 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 10, 10 (my guess is 2 successes)

Upload Data (with editted version): 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 9, 9 (yikes, I'm hoping 2 successes again)

Assuming these succeed, I might do an Analyze Security to see where I'm at.
Kagetenshi
You find the file without difficulty, it's right where you left it. In a matter of seconds the old file is gone and the new is in place, with only a brief stutter.

[ Spoiler ]
GlassJaw
Hmm, so far, so good...and that's the problem.

I'm going to do an Analyze Security.

Analyze 6: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9

i like the use of spoiler tags in this thread

I don't!! I have to make Will checks everytime I see them!! nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Security Rating: Green 8

Alert Status: No Alert

System Alert Level: 0x0eb4 (two points of security tally)

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
That's a question. If you use Analyze Security, does it return the security tally before or after the use of the program? For instance, Joe Bob the decker has Tally 5, and rolls a hundred billion successes on Analyze Security. The host rolls two successes against Joe's DF. Does he find out Tally 5 or Tally 7?

~J
hobgoblin
i think thats upto gm. atleast its never defined in the books...
CirclMastr
For instance, Joe Bob the decker has Tally 5, and rolls a hundred billion successes on Analyze Security.

Joe Bob better have lots of large friends or he won't hang onto that deck for long. wink.gif
Fortune
I'd rule that Analyze Security program returns totally up-to-date data, so it would give the tally after the host's successes were added.

If that isn't logical enough, here's another way of looking at it. Wouldn't the host's detection test take place immediately upon activation of the decker's Analyze Security program, therefore the host accrues its successes before the results of the AS program are processed.
Necro Tech
Just a quick break in. If you want to put the file where his supervisor can't delete it you have a couple options.

1.) Edit the file and raise the required user access from supervisor to superuser (if said exec doesn't have it).

2.) Rename and move the file to another host and hope he doesn't have the computer savy to find the thing.

3.) Edit the file so that all search querries for the file from his station find something else (a self deleting trojan program that disappears when the file you want found is properly accessed).

4.) Perform edit slave on the supervisors work station to filter all incoming data to have a similar affect as #3 above.

Just a few thoughts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012