Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fragging Drek
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
it's also entirely reasonable that in 60 years time shit and fuck have become so mainstream that they are no longer profanities

Then they wouldn't have any problem saying them whatsoever.
Kremlin KOA
but the impact would not be there... think about it when you use a profanity you are using a word with a level of emotive impact... if that word stops having that impact it would no longer be used for the same purpose. of and 60 years ago where I live people didn't use shit, although faggot was a common insult
Cable
Not only do I GM using the slang...But I fall one step deeper into madness by adding slang slang terms. Ex:

Hoi Chum Bucket!
John Campbell
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
but the impact would not be there... think about it when you use a profanity you are using a word with a level of emotive impact... if that word stops having that impact it would no longer be used for the same purpose. of and 60 years ago where I live people didn't use shit, although faggot was a common insult

I'm reminded of old childrens' books that I've read, from when my parents or grandparents were kids, wherein the protagonist gets scolded by his parents (or any convenient adult authority figure) for saying that an unpleasant scent "stinks". The polite word was "smells".

I can't imagine a modern parent scolding their kids for saying that something stinks (at least not in reference to an actual smell). It's no longer considered even mildly rude. That hasn't caused the term to be dropped from use, though... quite the contrary. While it may have lost some kick as a rude epithet, it's in common use in polite speech.

If modern profanity loses its profane status, it's not going to drop out of use. It'll just get used in polite speech as well.

Similarly, watch what's happening to the word "suck"...
Kagetenshi
"I just use spit."

"Try again," Jane suggested. "It's the wrong word."

"Saliva."

And remember, Captain Kangaroo had an episode that controversial for using the word "toilet".

~J
Sabosect
At the same time, that also makes it less likely to be used on the streets. Are you going to say "doody" or "shit" when wanting to actually cuss? Same case here.

In most other areas, the words have no real application. They would still be around, but your average sarariman isn't likely to use them very often.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012