Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bound in hobbit snot
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Feonyx
I find the color (glossy) pages in my BBB are all falling out, but the others are fine. It might have something to do with players trying to decide what to play or it might have to do with the glue not being able to get a good grip on the spine.

Feonyx
Joe Outside
I rebind my books myself the day after I bind them. I got a bunch (in excess of 100) three-ring binders real cheap a while back, so I raze off the spine, three-hole-punch the pages, add hole reinforcers to the first and last ten pages, and voila. Works quite well, but it gets really heavy.
paul_HArkonen
My personal ones are falling apart as we write. However, our GM's books, the one who has most of his books from back when FASA was printing them, are in perfect condition.
Sabosect
I've been trying to keep mine together using the same materials, but the hobbits run away screaming when I tell them how I want them to help.

That aside, I find the smaller books are holding together much better, despite the level of treatment. They should use hardbacks for the bigger books.
Cable
Just to round off my poll. My group and I have several books now spiral bound. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. But, its also the last step. The binding is cut far in and the only thing left to do is to buy new books...

Be careful
Botch
Somebody is bound to have asked this question from various sources, but I have an option to digitise all my SR books for free at work with a duplex scanner. What are the ramifications of doing this? Before anybody asks, they are for my personal use only and I will not be putting them anywhere near P2P, I am just plain fed up with lugging a 3ft stack of books around that fall apart when you start using them for their intended purpose.
Siege
I think you violate the copyright when you transfer the creative material from format to format.

When you transfer the written material to an e-format, for example, it's in violation of the copyright and therefore illegal.

I think.

That said, I think the police have better things to do than to kick in your door and confiscate your books - just don't hand them out if you want to support the company that actually produces SR. That is, however, entirely up to you.

-Siege
tisoz
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
I actually have everybook from every edition and only my Matrix book is falling apart. Since I have been hauling my books to various game sites once a week for the last 15 years I consider myself extremely lucky.

I find it hard to believe you are hauling all those books everywhere every week. I have almost every book and would hate to even try picking them all up at once.

Teh last group I was in, the three people with books all had at least the BBB rebound. I think I was the luckiest with being limited to only needing to rebind the BBB. I have a couple of supplements that are getting a couple of loose pages. My BBB had the glossy character pages fall out the first time I let someone else look at the book. Having previous editions, I knew the bindings were terrible and you could not treat them like a regular book.

Hardcover is not going to help much. I went through a 2nd edition softcover, then a hardcover, before buying a third softcover. If they are going to fall apart, I may as well buy the cheaper ones.

My 3rd edition hardcover has only been opened to check for a number or signature.

Somebody is bound to have asked this question from various sources, but I have an option to digitise all my SR books for free at work with a duplex scanner. What are the ramifications of doing this?

You are right, it has been asked before. The answer, given to people who want electronic copies of books is that it is ok to make your own, but still wrong to obtain a copy of a book you own that someone else made.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Siege)
I think you violate the copyright when you transfer the creative material from format to format.

When you transfer the written material to an e-format, for example, it's in violation of the copyright and therefore illegal.

I think.

That said, I think the police have better things to do than to kick in your door and confiscate your books - just don't hand them out if you want to support the company that actually produces SR.  That is, however, entirely up to you.

-Siege

It's considered a form of copying, which in and of itself is perfectly legal.

However, distributing said copies is a violation, yes.

-np
Eddy_Munster
A quick question to those who have had this re=binding done at Kinko's. Does this include having the pages laminated and then spiral bound?

Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Eddy_Munster)
A quick question to those who have had this re=binding done at Kinko's. Does this include having the pages laminated and then spiral bound?

No, the 5 dollars only covers the binding. I think it would get a little costly to laminate all the pages.
Ol' Scratch
You are right, it has been asked before. The answer, given to people who want electronic copies of books is that it is ok to make your own, but still wrong to obtain a copy of a book you own that someone else made.

Err, no. It's not illegal (unethical, perhaps, but not illegal) to obtain a copyright violation, though doing so knowingly can get you into trouble. The illegal part, as KarmaInfero stated, is in the distribution.

The RIAA suing people for downloading music, for instance, is just them being a dickwad. That's why they always have to settle out of court and try to sucker people into singing a contract that says they won't download copyrighted material again... because that way, should they download copyrighted material, the RIAA can actually sue and win (that being the important part) for breach of contract.

Don't confuse being sued for something as that something being illegal. I could sue you for looking at me cross-eyed. That doesn't make it illegal for you to look at me cross-eyed.
Stumps
It's sad and interesting to note that it's listed as "GM's only" and "Players only".

It tells me that the amount of groups who have only one GM is getting larger.
That's sad.

And yeah, I finally went electronic for now since I'm on the move so much with the military.
Plus...I'm finding Acrobat to be a seriously bad-ass way to keep track of stuff you care about in the book (as well as rewrite things you don't like) grinbig.gif
Kanada Ten
It tells me that the amount of groups who have only one GM is getting larger.
That's sad.

Pretty big assumption, don't you think? We'd need to know how many groups had multiple GMs before (what 10 years ago?), and how many have multiple GMs now.

From anecdotal evidence, I think most groups still have multiple GMs, but that each GM has a game system they prefer.
Stumps
True...I'm just always sadened when it hits into a laid out assumption that groups have GM's and Players seperated rather than united to work together to account an interesting story.
Ol' Scratch
You totally lost me on that one, Stumps.

Out of the 132 people who have voted thus far, only 6 have voted in the "only" categories. That's less than 5% of the voters, and even that doesn't necessarily mean they only have one GM... it just means that players are blaming their GM(s) on the condition of the books, or vice-versa.
Stumps
btw...there's an easy answer to all these books falling apart.

Get one of these:
CLICK

Then do this:
CLICK (but much nicer with the knife)

Get some of these:
CLICK

And one of these:
CLICK

And reassemble it nicely with little guick tabs like these:
CLICK
Stumps
Alright...I'll take it back.

I just didn't like seeing the seperation.
I'll go back to being my normal republican self as I suck at being liberal.
Mr.Cato
I only had my SR1 softcover and my SR2 hardcover fall completely apart...

Think the books are normaly allright quality
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Stumps)
Then do this:
CLICK (but much nicer with the knife)

Wow. And I thought I had read some really boring books...
Stumps
LOL
I hadn't even looked at the text itself...that's great! Thanks for the laugh...I needed that.
Deamon_Knight
Stumps, not a flame, but have you actually TRIED to put a whole BBB in sleeves and bind them in a 3 ring binder? I did. Imagine tripling the size of the BBB, not to mention finding a 3 ring binder to fit in all in. It becomes really unwieldy at that size, I finally just got the covers laminated and spiral bound at kinkos, $14 all told. I think that ends up being the best solution.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012