Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Into D20
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sesix
Ok I love SR as is, but all my friends are stuck on this D20 flux that has sprung from the hertical mouths of WOTC. I tried to get them to play it as is, but they cant get in to it, due to the taint of the D20 upon thier very gaming soul. So, I still wanted them to see, enjoy, and feel what SR is about, and well.......do any of ye know of a good place (sites, books,ect.) where I can get rules and info on hopes of converting this master peice into a some what resmblence they can understand, yet still shows and feels the true meaning of the game? Thx for any of the help ye can give.
Edward
D20 lakes several of the core elements of SR.

The one that is hardest to apply to D20 is degrees of success. Also the chance of success and failure when you really shouldn’t.

Wound penalties could be applied to D20 with effort.

If you come up with the degrees of success mechanic the spell system could be converted across.

The degrees of success, and wound penalties are the mechanics that back up the gritty reality of SR. I point you to raven loft witch utterly failed to scare me because you can be beaten to within an inch of your life and still shoot strait. The risks of magic are also part of this but without wound penalties loosing HP to cast a spell is just another form of mana..

Edward
Sesix
So maybe come up with the rule if yer say down 1/4 of yer life ye get a -1 to all rolls, then when yer down 2/4 it becomes a -2 and so forth? Or maybe go a little more extreme and have it -2 at 1/4 etc.? That sounds good to me. What ye think?

The magic part I dont know yet, I will have to do some studying on that.

I dont think degrees of sucess would be hard to do. As normal come up with the target number. If they beat the target number by say a couple numers (1-3), they suceeded but barely. If they get the number right on the dot, they just made it but cause of the lowness of thier roll, say it only works half ass. Something like that. In crease the sucess rate the further thier roll suceeds the target number. Well at least thats how I think it would be done.
ES_Riddle
SR d20 would (in my opinion) completely miss a lot of the grit of the system, both for the reasons that Edward mentioned and for the joy that is a natural 20 of guaranteed success. If you fail to convince them to try the SR system, then you should use the optional rule that a natural 20 is not an autosuccess and is instead treated as a roll of 30. I'd also the defensive roll optional rule instead of static armor class.

If you want to do degrees of success, good luck. The d20 system is built on hit or miss, so there is no room for marginal success.
Wutasumi
Triple the target numbers, and call it the DC.

Really, just make them use the D6, or just hit them with the BBB untill they forget all about D20 and say it's how you awalys played.
Slacker
Has anybody ever taken a look at the D20 game Cybernet from Mongoose Publishing? From the description it sounds like a conversion of shadowrun to the D20 system.

Personally, I would have to agree with ES Riddle, trying to apply the d20 system to shadowrun would lose alot in the translation. Despite its complexity when compared to d20, I would not want to play shadowrun any other way.
mfb
i bought it. it's... eh, it's okay, i guess. i really don't like their version of decking; it's too simplified and abstract. interesting way of handling 'essence loss', though. the loss is variable, instead of fixed--much cooler, i think.
mmu1
QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Oct 16 2004, 12:20 PM)
SR d20 would (in my opinion) completely miss a lot of the grit of the system, both for the reasons that Edward mentioned and for the joy that is a natural 20 of guaranteed success. If you fail to convince them to try the SR system, then you should use the optional rule that a natural 20 is not an autosuccess and is instead treated as a roll of 30. I'd also the defensive roll optional rule instead of static armor class.

If you want to do degrees of success, good luck. The d20 system is built on hit or miss, so there is no room for marginal success.

A natural 20 in d20 is only an auto-success on to "to hit" rolls and saving throws, it doesn't apply to skills, and the 5% chance of auto-success is no big deal, a SR character with a skill of 6 has a 5% chance of making one success against TN 17 - that's not automatically going to succeed at everything combat-related, but it's damn close.

That said, I doubt you're going to be able to recreate the SR feel using d20... I like both, but I don't see the point in using one to play the other.

Still, if you absolutely must try, look at d20 Modern / Future as a starting point. They're designed to be more gritty than standard D&D.
FrostyNSO
Make the close-minded 20-dicers play D6.

SR was simply not made to play with d20.
Synner
If you really must use D20 the best solution is to go drop the basic set and go with D20 Modern ruleset, use the additional magic rules from the setting Urbana Arcana (what a disappointment) and refer to the new D20 Future for passable systems for "decking", cyber and biotech. They don't plug perfectly into SR and D20's system will inevitably lead to the players missing out on some of the quirks that are inherent to the setting and that the SR3 mechanics reflect but that's a given. The way Magic works is a big one, but rigging, decking and combat will also be affected. Combat in particular is inherently more tactical and deadly with the SR ruleset than with D20 basic - wounds and modifiers make the way combat plays out very different.
mfb
i'm not sure it's quite fair to call the d20 players close-minded, given the general attitude towards d20 on these boards. accurate, maybe, but probably not fair.
TheScamp
D20 lakes several of the core elements of SR.

Not only what you mentioned, but there's the whole level and class-based stuff to deal with, as well.
FrostyNSO
If you go and play D20 modern with a Shadowrun setting, you may get them into the setting and game world, and they may like it. However, instead of having players who want to play D&D (or whatever) all the time, you will have players who want to play D20 modern all the time.

Serious, just dump them into Shadowrun as-is. They have roleplay experience, so they should catch on fast and you can teach the rules as you go.

I just get shivers thinking of "Epic Level" shadowrunners. Keep it karma, keep it D6, it'll pay off in the long run and save you lots of headaches.
RangerJoe
You know, I've sat through a lot of d20 bashing on these boards and even been complicit in some. I'm no fan of d20 and the reign of destruction it has brought to good games like Starwars d6, but here's my idea this time around: Your pals like playing d20. Cool. Some folks are like that. Let them roll up 6 stats like they're used to (only secretly call them Int, Wil, Cha, Quickness, Str, and Body) and go from there. Come up with some self-consistant (or self-arbitrary, if you prefer) rules. Do everything behind the GM screen, let them know what the results of their actions are, interpreted through the rolls of the dice, and buy lots of new SR books to give you good ideas. Everyone wins. Peace breaks out.
Adam
West End pretty much died in 1998 [although now it's been bought by someone new and brought back to life...], around the time they lost the Star Wars license. WotC's Star Wars [which features Degrees of Success, I might add, even though that's "unpossible!" for a d20 game. . .] was released in 2000.

Star Wars d6 died because WEG screwed the pooch, not because of d20.
Wutasumi
I like both, I just think it's a horrible idea for SR, it'd be like playing D&D D6...
twofalls
Wow, you guys seem so close minded ( I don't mean to offend anyone, it just seems that you are from where I sit. ) I run both D20 D&D and Shadowrun, and yes the systems are miles away from each other. Shadowrun is system intense, one of the most system heavy games out there (barring Rolemaster or Ares Magika). But the feel of the setting doesn't have to be compromised because of the system. Spirits/Astral Space are an issue, need to come up with a way to involve shamans that wont break a D20 system... but its not impossible. I say D20 Modern is a good start, I haven't looked at the Urban Arcana but I'd be more inclined to use the Shadowrun world and then use the D20 spells that make sense in a modern world. You could even rename a few to give them more modern sounding themes. It would be a little work, but its not hopeless.

I happen to like both rules sets, but the SR rules are far more intense than the D20 system and a bit much for some players. That doesn't mean a D20 Shadowrun game can't capture the excitement of corporate espionage or cyber/magic.

I'm standing against the crowd here. Go ahead and throw your rotten fruit... I'll just make wine. wink.gif
hobgoblin
d20 modern would be the way to go when it comes to a sr d20 lookalike. and from what i recall there are no epic level rules out for d20 modern. urban arcana i have not looked at but d20 modern have a small fx chapter about magic (and one about psionics btw) and covers the basics.

like stated before on threads about this, the hitpoints "problem" is taken away by a low set massive damage rule. damage from a single source that over a set number makes you roll a save or go down mustch as if you had taken a deadly wound in sr.

while d20 modern and d&d uses the same basic rules they have been tunes to diffrent worlds. d&d have a massive damage setting of 50 points flat. d20 mdern uses the constitution score, a number hit by most weapons on a lucky roll (avarage human is 10).

im not saying it will be the same as sr, not by a longshot, but i fear that forceing them over may just hurt rather then help (some people are hopeless that way, and that goes for both communitys)...
FrostyNSO
Don't get me wrong, D20 has a place in roleplaying there is no denying that. I like D&D a lot, but (and this is where it gets to personal style) I just think the D6 rules are more realistic. Of course every rule system can be abused to take that away, but When I was an RPG n00b, I was introduced to some d20 and shadowrun right off the bat, and the gritty d6 just appealed more and seemed more 'real world'. (funny considering it's a game with orks, magic, and nerds like me playing it)
Sesix
I completly agree that the D6 system SR uses is best fit for it. But as stated its a heavyer system type compared to the D20, but there in lies my problems. Im working with a group that prefer a kind of non-chalant form of play. They like skill checks all that. But they like the story more then the mechanics, and....well.....SR has alot of mechanics to remember while trying to enjoy it. Personally I love it, but my friends dont. I tried to get them to do it before and well, they just came out retarted by the D6. They were to use to D20.
hobgoblin
merge cybernet with urban arcana or something then wink.gif
its not sr by a long shot but its cyberpunk with trolls and magic...

atleast cybernet have the style in place (in a way). d20 future (that d20 modern addon) is to clinical in its descriptions of everything so that you will have to add all the flavor yourself. and cybernets cyberware is a bit more interesting then the stuff in d20 future to wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
like stated before on threads about this, the hitpoints "problem" is taken away by a low set massive damage rule. damage from a single source that over a set number makes you roll a save or go down mustch as if you had taken a deadly wound in sr.

Really, that's been stated before? I guess I must have refuted it before, too, in that case. No, that doesn't make the hitpoints problem go away. Mid/High level runners, especially once they've got some decent gear and ware, can rack up a Fort save high enough to still make them all but invulnerable to small arms fire.

Lowering the limit of Massive Damage doesn't help when the Fortitude Save DC is still low enough for more powerful characters to manage it every time. But if you make the Save DC higher, the mage-types don't stand a chance of surviving any decent hit from rifles, shotguns, etc. Massive Damage starting from maybe 5 with a DC of Damage Caused just might work, but that'll still leave unarmored mid/high level trolls invulnerable to anything but the BFGs.

The hitpoint problem is taken away by using the VP/WP system without VPs -- the "ultralethal/ultrarealistic" system mentioned in some d20 books. That way your hitpoints don't increase unless you increase your Constitution or get feats/magic/ware that directly increases your WP (HP).
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2004, 05:02 AM)
The hitpoint problem is taken away by using the VP/WP system without VPs -- the "ultralethal/ultrarealistic" system mentioned in some d20 books. That way your hitpoints don't increase unless you increase your Constitution or get feats/magic/ware that directly increases your WP (HP).

Wow is that brutal. I think that that will result in a lot of dead level 3 characters. Magic missile from a level 3 caster averages 7 damage. Geeking the mage becomes even more important in that setup than it is in SR since you will go down in two shots.
Kremlin KOA
uh it's worse... by fifth level the mage can gut the entire sec team in one action as by ther fireball does an average of 17.5 damage
hobgoblin
well if they port over the d&d troll they got worse things to worry about then stopping BFG rounds with their nose (namely regneration!).

i didnt say it would be a exact replica of sr, but to me atleast it removes the problem of takeing 10000 rounds and keeping on ticking. there is allso the fact that one can make a troll in sr able to stop a panther round so its not a inherent problem of d20...
Kremlin KOA
not with starting gear... i've tried
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a troll in sr able to stop a panther round so its not a inherent problem of d20...

Let's be silly here. One round, one success, base damage 20D, Body 24, 15 Armor. We're not going to bother Dodging, because that's a different matter entirely.

5D. That means nine successes are needed to stage to nothing. Troll will expect eight successes, and will still take a Light. This seems absurd until you realize that the armor on the Troll is greater than the Power of most sniper rifles. The troll is probably as wide as he is tall, counting all gear. Furthermore, if we drop the armor by a single point to 14, suddenly the Troll is taking S damage.

I'd like to see how your troll stops the panther round while still moving.

~J
Kremlin KOA
kage he needs 8 successes to stage the D and how did you get 15 armor?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Oct 17 2004, 11:45 AM)
kage he needs 8 successes to stage the D and how did you get 15 armor?

He said he was being silly to prove the point. A troll's not going to stop a Panther assault round unless he gets fantastically lucky on the die rolls and has ridiculous stats on top of that. And that assumes the shooter only scored a single success on the attack.
Kagetenshi
He needs nine successes because the successes on the body test cancel with the successes on the attack test before they start staging. The good Doctor already addressed why I used 15 armor.

~J
Kremlin KOA
kage that's for dodge tests, in damage resistance you stage up the damage, then you stage it down, odd successes are wasted
hobgoblin
ok so the d20 damage system when useing hitpoints are not as deadly as sr, but personaly i dont care. i at one time viewed the d20 as the big bad wolf that was going to eat the rpg community as we knew it but i dont see it like that any more. its just a system like any other out there, with its bad sides and good sides, and its oddball quirks. it can emulate sr to a degree but like any other emulation it will not be 100% perfect (then it would in fact be sr). i see no reason to be so clearly hostile against the d20 system like some of the people on this board (and some others) are.

most if not all publishers to date that port games over create dual stats books. in fact the only pure d20 books out there are there to cover established setting syles like cyberpunk, steampunk and so on rather then to emulate a existing game. this allows the gm and players to tailor what kind of world they want to play in rather then be forcefeed one like sr does (alltho with a nice setting like sr, this can be a good thing). and given that the d20 system by itself is free to use by anyone (unlike gurps where its under lock and key), we will see all kinds of small time publishers push out more or less compatible works that when put together can create a gem or a monster.

basicly there is nothing inherently bad in the d20 system that i see, its just a framework for the players and gm to tell a story like any other rpg system out there. munchkins and powergamers will allways be around. its not the systems job to control them, thats the gms job. have the wrong players or the wrong gm and any system can be so abused and twisted that you would not recognize it...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
ok so the d20 damage system when useing hitpoints are not as deadly as sr, but personaly i dont care.

And I'm not saying you need to care. But if someone wants to keep the balance and feel of the game the same when crossing over to d20 (if indeed such a thing is possible), hit points simply have to go because they are less deadly.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
basicly there is nothing inherently bad in the d20 system that i see, its just a framework for the players and gm to tell a story like any other rpg system out there.

My problem with the d20 system is that it's designed to emulate video games (which, admittedly, the original D&D helped inspire). There is almost nothing believable in the system itself. It relies on a win-or-lose dice mechanic with no margin of success, it relies on levels and classes (even the so-called "classless systems" still use 'em). And it's wound mechanic (whether hit points or vitality points; they're the same damn thing, only on a different scale) is a dead-or-alive mechanic.

I think the main reason people dislike the d20 system isn't so much because it's popular, it's because they don't *like* the mindless videogame style of gaming. They prefer games that at least try to be somewhat believable, complete with a lack of reliance on two-dimensional and ill-conceived classes, include different levels of success, and rely on a wound mechanic that actually causes problems while wounded.

While Shadowrun's system definitely has its fault, it reflects reality and believability far more than the d20 system ever could.

Of course one of the charms of Shadowrun's system is that it's multiple systems rolled up in one. If you get bored with the magic system, you can start playing a decker, rigger, or sammy and, lo' and behold, you're practically playing under a completely different yet similar system. That's just cool, even if overly complex.

If people prefer to stick with d20 games, more power to them -- but they're the ones losing out the more exhilirating and rewarding gaming experiences. And to be frank, I'd much rather see Shadowrun stay in a niche market than have it saturated with the types of players that are attracted to the d20 system.
John Campbell
QUOTE (twofalls)
Wow, you guys seem so close minded ( I don't mean to offend anyone, it just seems that you are from where I sit. )

Yeah. It's close-mindedness. It's not like any of us who hate the idea of d20 Shadowrun have played D&D for TWENTY FRAGGING YEARS or anything.
Cochise
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
kage that's for dodge tests, in damage resistance you stage up the damage, then you stage it down, odd successes are wasted

No you're the one who is wrong here: Look at this thread to find out why (it's not directly aimed at explaining the difference between ranged and melee, but ranged attacks are explained in detail).
Kremlin KOA
eek.gif touche Cochise, that is a subtle but significant change
toturi
If SR was run with D20 rules, it would still be a great game setting, but it would lose its uniqueness. While the flavour of the world is still there, it still becomes difficult to emulate the feel of the RP experience while you are using the D6 rules.
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (Sesix)
Ok I love SR as is, but all my friends are stuck on this D20 flux that has sprung from the hertical mouths of WOTC. I tried to get them to play it as is, but they cant get in to it, due to the taint of the D20 upon thier very gaming soul.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing you can do for them. They will have to be shaved, sterillised and destroyed.

You might try one more shot at explaining to them. It sometimes helps if you kill one of their number first as an example. Otherwise, they fully deserve their punishment, of a lifetime of D20 gaming.
hobgoblin
looks like the only thing i can do is to shake my head at the orthodoxy that is the dumpshock forum...

i belive i never stated that you would get the sr feel from porting over, the only statement i made in that direction was that you can play a game of cyberpunkwith magic and monsters in the d20 system by useing the right set of books.

as for the video game comment, any rpg can be made into a video game. hell i would belive that most gunnbunny runs in sr behavesmutch asa first person shooter. if you want graded successes, look at how mutch above the targetnumber the dice and the skill ends up. want staged effects of wounds? say that for every 5-10 points lost you get a -1 on all tests (includeing saves, initiative, attacks, defense, you name it).

as for two dimentional classes, looked at the idea of multiclassing or the generic classes in d20 modern? classes are what you make of them...

most of this sound to me like statements made out of ignorance rather then anything else...
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
as for two dimentional classes, looked at the idea of multiclassing or the generic classes in d20 modern? classes are what you make of them...

most of this sound to me like statements made out of ignorance rather then anything else...

Yeah, because I'm a 10th-level Smart Hero/5th-level Tough Hero/3rd-level Charismatic Hero/2nd-level Fast Hero person myself, and I'll totally stomp all over a puny little 1st-level Dedicated Hero who stands no chance whatsoever of defeating me with his pitiful BAB and skill selection. Just like in real life!

ohplease.gif
twofalls
[
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 18 2004, 02:39 AM)
  Just like in real life!

Just like in real life? Why do so many gamers try to make this comparison? I've not ever played an RPG that was anything like RL, and I simply wouldn't want to play such a game. Hell, I can't figure out the whole Sim craze. Okay fine, so D20 SR wouldn't be SR... so what? D20 can be played in the SR world, using D20 mechanics, and that is better (IMHO) than being stuck with only playing D20 hack'n'slash in a fantasy enviroment for the balance of your RPG career. Assuming you like your friends and want to keep gaming with them, and assuming you care about them having fun (as much as or more than you do about yourself having fun) then you try to find a happy medium.

Sheesh.

indifferent.gif
Kanada Ten
One way to create SR's deadly sensibilities is to have a static hit point system. Base hit points of 20 shared between Subdural and Physical, damage that deals 10 points in one blow causes unconsciousness and the death process in the case of physical. Don't increase the hit points with level, and only allow the Con bonus to affect it.

Drain is an important aspect of SR and can be achieved by requiring a Will save following spell casting and conjuring (using the bonus for Wisdom and Charisma respectfully) and using the difference between the DC (drain level tn) and the die roll. Low level spells might have a DC of 10, while really powerful spells would have a 40 DC (meaning they could kill the character). A DC over the Magic rating deals physical drain. You could also incorporate the slot pool system, allowing a mage to increase the effective dice score by spending slot points. Make sense?

Character creation is another important aspect. I suggest allotting points over dice rolls.

d20 Modern seems like a good place to start for gear, but I don't know. Sometimes I think BESM might be a better starting place.
mmu1
My initital recommendation was d20 Modern, but I've thought about it, and Mutants and Masterminds and the Damage Save mechanic is also something really worth looking at.

Instead of using hit points, when you're hit you make a save vs. a DC determined by your opponent's attack power. If you fail, bad things happen to you depending on how much you failed the save by. Stun and Lethal damage are already built into the system, as well as (IIRC) penalties for various wound levels.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (mmu1)
My initital recommendation was d20 Modern, but I've thought about it, and Mutants and Masterminds and the Damage Save mechanic is also something really worth looking at.

That sounds pretty good, what's the tech level? One could always mix and match, but...
Wounded Ronin
D20 modern has one, and only 1 saving grace to it.

Wanna hear what it is?

OK, get ready......

The one and only saving grace of D20 modern is that you can go around shooting people with an 8mm Nambu pistol.

NAMBU CONQUERS THE EARTH!!!!!!!
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
One way to create SR's deadly sensibilities is to have a static hit point system. Base hit points of 20 shared between Subdural and Physical, damage that deals 10 points in one blow causes unconsciousness and the death process in the case of physical. Don't increase the hit points with level, and only allow the Con bonus to affect it.

D20 already has a subdual damage system, I think. So no need to add that. I personally like Constitution working directly as your Hit Points more, because with just CON bonuses to HP, you won't see the kind of variation as you see with the Body attribute in SR.
And that's probably how I'd run Drain in D20, if I had to.
Kincaid
I'm a little surprised about the feelings of d20 as a system. I've played d6, d10 (both Alderac and WW), d20 et al and managed to enjoy them all. System matters, but who you're playing with is still the most important factor in having a good time.

As for converting d20 to Shadowrun...I agree with some of the other posters that you should encourage your players to try out the d6 system--part of the fun of Shadowrun is rolling that one die over and over to actually hit the TN 24. But, if your players are adamant about d20, then Mutant & Masterminds and/or d20 Modern would be the way to go. I've always found d20 a little too random for my tastes (not unlike the botch system in Shadowrun for low level skills) so I've adopted the 3d6 system suggested in Unearthed Arcana (v2.0). If you're worried about things not being leathal enough, check out the Grim and Gritty combat system--although you'll have to be very careful about how that system interacts with magic.

Not everything is going to transfer directly; finding a way in graft wound penalties without creating a lot of paperwork (are you at 64% or 65% of max hp?) could be a hassle. IMO, the coolest thing about Shadowrun is the world and converting to d20 won't hurt that aspect of the game one bit.
mmu1
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Oct 18 2004, 11:01 PM)

That sounds pretty good, what's the tech level? One could always mix and match, but...

It's a superhero game (although the mechanics are applicable to any time period or power level), so the tech level is pretty abstract - you'd still have to use some other setting (d20 Future, maybe?) for the gear, although some of the superpowers could probably be stolen and re-labeled as cyberware.
Lindt
SACRILIGE!!!!

Yeah, everyone is saying D20 modern, and I fully agree with them. If they wanna play SR, tell them to learn a new system. Its good for them. On top of D20 modern, I might also suggest Alternity (although its outta print).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012