Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casting Call
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Nikoli
Thinking of trying to run a normal game, again.
No over arching themes or grand plot driving this, more of a develop as we go. Seems more fun for me that was as a GM.

So, what I'm looking for is people to post their interest,
for me to be able to choose, I desire the following:
1. Able to post at least once a day, possibly more
2. Player understanding that if you aren't getting enough 'love' from me, let me know, I don't want to ignore anyone.
3. Other games you have played in recently on DSF if any, so I can get a feel for how often you post, etc.
4. Feedback from you as we play on what types of missions you want to see in the future.

What you should expect from me:
No uber plot watching you from the shadows
Posted house rules, if you have a question or concern, contact me, I'll see what I can do.
I will try and post at least once a day, if I seem to skip you, it isn't on purpose, PM me and I will correct the situation, please do not let it sit for a week and you quit out of frustration.

I am not looking for character submissions just yet
I repeat, do not inundate me with character submissions.
I am looking for players and will PM those that have been chosen and will post the final selection after that. Then and only then will we begin the character creation.
Nikoli
I suppose I should mention I want you to post your interest on this thread.
Whizbang
Of course I'm interested.

Current Games:
Bug City
Bounty Hunt
Liberation
Sword over Soul's Edge
Snowball's Chance in Hell

hmm...types of runs...I'm open to just about anything.
Shev
Hmmm, sounds like it could be fun. My post rate can be less than one a day at times, but I think I can post often enough for you. I play in WinterRat's SR world. Currently, I'm doing the run Salvation, which includes the Shadowlands thread. I haven't posted in the main Living in the Shadow's thread recently, since we just had a meet, but when my character arrives home, I'll post there again.

If I don't feel the love, I'll be sue to let you know smile.gif

As for what types of missions, I don't really care. At this point, I already have a decker character, so I'm prolly not going to be one in this game, but I can go for just about anything wink.gif
Mumbles
I'd love to play. I can post at least once/day, Monday-Friday. Weekends are hit and misss. Sometimes I'm online, many times I'm not.

I'd love to play a Shaman or Phys-Ad type of character. I'm not in any games currently on Dumpshock, though I did submit a rigger character to Rokur's Revelations game.

I like games where there are consequences for the character's actions, where doing something stupd is likely to get someone killed. Where anyone or anything can be a threat.
Kremlin KOA
interested
games include bug city and chasing the prize

will post at least daily

now: three reasons you shouldn't pick me

I post incredibly frequently:
I make multi page character backgrounds that take a long time to read
I have a bit of min/maxer in me

Three reasons why you should pick me

I post incredibly frequently
I make multi page character backgrounds that really show the char's past
my characters are usually somewhat unique and a little different, they add flavor to games
Tashio
I'm interested.

Currently not in any games on DSF, have submited for Rokur's game though.
I can post frequently. Have access from work and home, and am around most weekends, ah whom am I kiding, I'm around every weekend smile.gif Man I need a life.
Have a weapon/infiltration spec or phys add floating around just needs a bit of fleshing out.
Nikoli
As it stands, there are 5 hats in the ring at the moment.

Some things to keep in mind I might not have made clear:
No premade characters please, no I have no way of knowing if it's a premade or not.
The type of game we play is not solely up to me, think weekend gaming group.
I also have no life, so weekend posting isn't a huge deal.
Tashio
Well floating around mostly in my head smile.gif, got a couple concept ideas and I think I jotted down couple stat/ability/power options somewhere but nothing realy concrete. Took me 3 weeks to find these forums, every other PBEM, or related web site has been dead for 2 years at the least. So had time to come up with some stuff.
Nikoli
Glad to have you aboard.

Also, something else for everyone to keep in mind:
I am an America, I have never traveled outside of the US, though I am intimately familiar with i-75 from Atlanta to just shy of Daytno Ohio I am not that well traveled. So if the books from which I draw information have it wrong, just chalk it up to American egotistical ethnocentric ignorance.

I'm also a lousy typist
Nikoli
Okay, the casting call will close in 24 hours from this point.

If there are no other hats tossed in, the 6 that are in now are the players by default.
paul_HArkonen
I'd like to join, I'm thinking something on the lines of a mage, never tried one, but it should be interesting.

Games currently in:

Salvation, Fight Night,
was in Bounty Hunt till I killed myself, (was feeling slightly stupid)
HeySparky
I'm interested. I'll be submitting a character to Rokur's game soon, and if I get tapped for that game I'll have to withdraw interest here - not for lack of interest, but for lack of bandwidth.

I'm in McQuillan's "Chasing the Prize".

I'm really digging PbP Shadowrun. Been a long time. So fair-warning that I'm still pretty rusty. smile.gif
Tashio
Just a little word of warning though the last time I played SR was like 8 years ago, not to sure if it was first or second ed, I just remember having WAY to many dice rolls, Did Second Ed have Damage Staging IE 7m3 or was that First Ed? I've read through the rule book and various other books a couple times but might need a prod on occasion when I do something I should not be able to smile.gif
Nikoli
Yeah 1st ed. had the crazy 7m3 damage codes. if you have access to the books, I highly recomend reading through them.

as the GM I have the following books:
Main 3rd ed.
Rigger 3
Cannon Companion
SSG
Matrix
MiTS
MJ. LBB
Sota '63 and '64
Man and Machine
YotC
Target: Wastelands
SR Companion
gobogen
Hey, I'd love to be part of this. I miss my gaming group from home so much... Anyways, I play in Bounty Hunt right now as Jaws, and you can definitely count on me to post almost everyday and often more than once a day.

What I'm looking for is a good old regular game of shadowrun. You know that game that every character has an interesting personnal history, but the group also has its own insides and good memories.. Types of run varying greatly and going slowly up in difficulty level. Contacts multiplying as the characters seem to know about everyone they need to know. Enemies multiplying as well as you piss off some people and have to get out of town in a hurry once in a while. A game which has its tensed, exciting moments and its relax inter-run downtime. What I like the most (which you can now tell from what I've written) is to see all the characters really develop and become more and more fleshed out and interesting as we go. Also to know better the players themselves. It is because what I have described has happened to me that I like RP so much.
Tashio
Have 3rd Ed
R3
CC
M&M
YOTC (Have not read it though)
SR Comp
MiTS
+ Few others
Don't have either Sota, SSG, MJ LBB, Target: WL
Nikoli
SOTA:63 is a great resource for B&E archtypes
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Oct 18 2004, 11:28 AM)
1.  Able to post at least once a day, possibly more

Now that my wife's doing better, I'll be able to post almost as regularly as I used to (which is still a fair bit more than most anyway).

2.  Player understanding that if you aren't getting enough 'love' from me, let me know, I don't want to ignore anyone.

I've never been the shy type. smile.gif

3.  Other games you have played in recently on DSF if any, so I can get a feel for how often you post, etc.

Nothing recently. The last major game that lasted until the end that I was in was... oh crap, what was the name of it... uhm... oh yeah, Vein of Truth. I was going by the name of A Rodent of Unusual Size at the time. If I did it right, the link should jump to my first post in the thread. I'm so very rusty...

4.  Feedback from you as we play on what types of missions you want to see in the future.

See the response to #2 above. biggrin.gif

Book-wise, I haven't had a chance to get SOTA:2064 or MrJLBB yet, but I plan on getting them eventually. I pretty much have everything else shy of a few 1st and 2nd edition books.

As a question for you, and a follow-up to #4, what kind of a broad scenario do you have in mind to start with? A traditional Seattle Shadowrunner game, or one based out of a different location or different starting point? Do you tend to focus more on corporations, the underworld, magic, the Matrix, or anything else? Do you assume starting characters are little better than gangers, or more like the experienced criminals and runners the rules assume?

Just curious. smile.gif
Nikoli
As long as it's within the books I own
You could see it in the game.

Once I have the players chosen, then we'll work together and determine the variables of the game, like a them, if any. Expected level of power, preferred level of power, etc.

I'm only running the game, I expect the players to tell me what kind of game they want.

By the way, love the handle, always nice to see nods to some of my fav. movies.
And, glad to hear she's doing better.
paul_HArkonen
Oh yeah, sorry I gorgot to post my interest, I'm interested in doing a regular shadowrun, you know nitty gritty, running and SINless, It's been a while since I've done that.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (paul_HArkonen @ Oct 18 2004, 01:46 PM)
Oh yeah, sorry I gorgot to post my interest, I'm interested in doing a regular shadowrun, you know nitty gritty, running and SINless, It's been a while since I've done that.

I think he was only looking for people to voice their interest in joining the game. smile.gif The rest of it will be voted/decided once he puts a group together and all that jazz.
Nikoli
Thanks Dr. Funkenstein, that's the idea
Nine-9
Right, I'll throw my bowler in as well.

Reasons to have me in your game...

I'm not (currently) in any other DSF games, which means I can concentrate more fully on this one (not that this will help you judging in how well I post....rats).

I have FAR too much free time and internet access to post to the game.

I've been playing since 1993 and still love the game, I even managed to play and enjoy Harlequins Back...

Oh, and finally, I work in computer games development, take me and I'll harass management some more about making that Shadowrun PC game everyone wants wink.gif
Nikoli
That mean you work for Microshaft?
Nine-9
nope!

(thank god)

doesn't mean I can't harass anyway though wink.gif
Cthulhu449
I would like to play if I could; I would hope to play a decker, but barring that I will play anything else. Just give me a reply about what the team might need and I'll have it done by tonight. Thanks.

Oh, reasons to have me in the game:
1. I'm a college student. I don't have anything else to do but drink and go to late classes, and therefore:
2. I can post about as often as you would like.
3. I write good histories.
4. I would enjoy an online game even if it were just a bunch of players standing around and talking at eachother in character.
5. I'm only in one other game, so I won't be overloaded (Bug City right now).
6. Other than that, just a solid knowledge of the rules, and I have all of the books to reference if the need ever came up.

Oh, and off topic: Nine, what do you mean you managed to play Harlequin's Back and enjoy it. I ran that for my players and we all loved it. You aren't a Harley hata' are you? smile.gif
Hemlok
I'm relatively new to the forums and currently only in one game, The sword over the soul's edge. I'd like to see something with a good deal of intrigue, be it corporate espionage, underworld wars, or perhaps a more global high-power campaign sent to high-profile jobs, and for some unkonwn reason, the idea of being Yucatan rebels really strikes a chord.
Mr Hamster
I'm up for this game, love the traditional shadowrunning approach. Just let me know and I could whip a character up for you pretty quick; I like playing mage/faces and breaking and entering guys, but can do whatever you'd like.

You should let me in cause...
1. I too am college student with tons of free time, so I can and do post like a madman.
2. I write pretty good posts. Online I'm playing in Bug City as Terry O'Neil, so you can check that out.
3. I like playing good/believable characters who have a good reason for being in the shadows and are skilled at what they do. As in I like playing pros and hate anime-tastic monstrosities of a character history.
4. uhhhh... I'll be your friend?

yeah, so please let me in.

Cheers.
Johnson
Just by the sound of whats happening, this sounds interesting. Just reading through some of the posts it looks like there is going to be very interesting characters.

I would like to part take, I am currenty in the following

Snow Balls Chance in Hell
Liberation
Chasing the Prize
and on the recruitment list for Revelations.

I gather I have missed the casting cut off.

But I well keep checking.

Maybe I will be lucky..

Nikoli
No, the casting cut-off isn't until around 1:33 PM (-5 GMT or EST)
Johnson
Well lets wait and see. I would like to join
Nikoli
You're in the kitty so to speak. I'm evaluating the submissions already posted on the board.
Tarantula
I'd like to give it a shot. I'm new to the forums and submitted a character to Rokur's game, but I'm doubting it'll get chosen (I was a bit later than others at submitting it... sorta like here).

Anyway, I would really love to get into a game of shadowrun, and I'll be able to post most anytime, as my school, work, and home all have internet access, that I can get to while there. It'd be nice to get into a game, I miss playing shadowrun. (Preferably I'd play a rigger, but any character can be fun and I'll be willing to give it a shot.)
Nikoli
QUOTE (Nine-9)
nope!

(thank god)

doesn't mean I can't harass anyway though wink.gif

But Microsoft owns the rights to any video game based on Shadowrun, therefore your management has little to do with it, unless they just don't want to get in bed with ol' Billy boy.
Kremlin KOA
last time I checked those will expire in a year or so if not used
Nikoli
sweet,
though it's not like them to allow intellectual property right expire.
But they might not have a choice as they have yet to move in any signifigant way and WizKids have a right and obligation of sorts to produce something. (by obligation I mean, we as the consumers have voice positive opinion towards such a game)

Sounds like MS will have to piss or get off the pot
Kremlin KOA
I am not 100% sure on the particular case, but game licence contracts tend to have a time expiry on them so that if one does not produce the game the licence can be pulled...

of course microsoft could be using the legalese ass rape techniques they learned from IBM to stop this.

Microsoft learned their business practices from IBM and Jesus

From IBM, they learned the art of the legalese ass rape by receiving it from IBM

From Jesus they learned "It is far better to give than to receive."
Nikoli
lol

and if you can't, b'ah screw that, just buy 'em and use their brand recognition to sell an inferior product.
Nikoli
Okay Casting call is officially closed.

Here are the names of the lucky ones:
Tashio
Nine-9
Dr. Funkenstein
Kremlin KOA
Johnson
Whizbang

To the others that submitted, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

To those that made it,
Please begin discussing what roles need to be filled and who will design characters to fill them.
i suggest you do not over specialize and everyone should have a secondary ability besides combat.

And I realise it was more like 23 hours, but I'm an impatient person.
Kremlin KOA
eh you had more than enough submissions by then...

okay team here's the major roles as I see them in sr I suggest we each grab atr least three of these into our char to have some redundancy

Entry guy: The guy with the skills to get you into the facility, preferably undetected.

Magical: a magician of some sort to fight magic with magic.

Getaway guy: usually a rigger.

Madic!: the one who patches people up

Face: Team negotiator, has friends, makes sure Mr Johnson pays decently.

Demo tech: for when stuff needs to be bblown up

Matrix guy: the one who does the computer stuff

Quiet killig guy: the stealth combat guy, kills guards without making large amounts of noise

Tactical guy: the tactician who co-ordinates the group and keeps them working like a well oiled machine.

Sniper: the extreme long range killer, for removing threats before you get there, or just to make wetwork easy.

combat guy: this is the standard short range multi opponent combat guy. the "Street sam" if you will.

Heavy gombat guy: This guy IS the big guns, for when the opposition is tough, you have him cover your retreat.

I would like to use either a medic/entry guy/Quiet Killing guy
or a face/medic/combat guy
Nikoli
Some quick crunchy stuff (aka house rules):

Astral Perception will not trump normal invis, but it will do so for improved invis.

Invis clouds the mind, therefore the in my interpretation, while spell is active the recipient vanishes from your mind. However once the spell is dropped you can trace the magic as normal.

I shall snipe unto you as you snipe unto me.

SOTA and Optempo will only come into play if I feel it's necessary for maintaining the balance of power.

You get sloppy with the guards, expect the guards (and LS) to make you sloppy in return.
Ol' Scratch
Wouldn't it be easier to decide on the theme and general nature of the game before we start deciding on character roles? A standard game will have different demands than a military game, and a DocWagon campaign will have different demands than one based upon a group of Rockers. smile.gif

Personally, I wouldn't mind an occult-based game. I'm just in love with the mythological and magical aspects of the Sixth World, and find it a crying shame that it rarely gets explored beyond "you encounter a security mage."

Maybe we could be a covert team working for the Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research who goes out on various missions dealing with what's left of Dunkelzahn's Will, traveling into the darkest parts of the Amazonian jungle to find some rare, magical flower, and/or steal some up-until-then unknown powerful relic from the Smithsonian or private collectors around the world. Things like that.

Just my first idea. smile.gif
Tashio
I'm pretty keen to play a covert/infiltration type game, magical orientated or not. I'm realy undecided what I want to play so maybe some focus would help smile.gif

I have always loved mages in any game setting, though I'm still trying to get SR figured out so many options and variations.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tashio)
I have always loved mages in any game setting, though I'm still trying to get SR figured out so many options and variations.

Yeah, I have a hankering for a magical type myself. smile.gif Possibly an adept, but more likely a full or aspected magician. I just really dig the whole magical aspect of the game.
Kremlin KOA
so Funkenstein you want the magical mystery tour? something like we are on retainer to Draco, or the atlantean foundation? I'm cool with that, it does change how we should weight those 12 parts I might go transport/tactical/surveillance/heavy combat (aka rigger) in a magical game
Tashio
Yea I might play magical adept, bit of both worlds, MA's do need to get a few levels of initation behind them before they realy start getting somewhere, I guess depends on what sort of start we're getting and how long we plan to go on for.

Otherwise probably an aspected mage, Astral + Conjuring I'm still trying to figure out, either its realy simple and I'm just missing something or its confusing.

Otherwise I'll probably throw in a weapon/infil specialist. Healthy dose of stealth/electronics with some Narcojets, stungrenades and such. A change from the I open fire with my Assault Cannon, a city block disappears smile.gif
Nine-9
hmmm, a high magic gme would be an interesting idea. Seeing as I usually play hermetics or shamans, might be nice to get the chance to play a physadept.

I kinda disagree with tashio about initiation, mages can start plenty strong, specially if your willing to drop a point of magic for the versatility of some low level cyber/bioware.
Whizbang
hmm...I generally like to play deckers and magic users...might try a different variant of magic if we take the high magic route.
Ol' Scratch
If we do go the magic route, I might actually play some mundane muscle for the group. Sort of the magically-ignorant bodyguard or paranormal hunter the organization sends along to keep the rest of you mojo slingers out of trouble. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012