Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
iPad
Bullets go right through cars. I have no problems with the current rules.
Ed Simons
There's a notable difference between bullets going right through cars and bullets reducing the car's ability to function. A bullet through the doors, seat, side windows, exhaust system, or trunk will not reduce vehicle performance. You need to hit the tires, engine, axles, gas tank, or drive train and even then a pistol round wouldn't be gauranteed to do significant damage, nor gauranteed to have an immediate effect, though both of those are gauranteed by the rules.

Critias
Unless the driver is a rigger. In which case everything just magically pings off the windshields.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Oct 29 2004, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (GoldenAri @ Oct 29 2004, 11:24 AM)
However, according to the rules I can fire my 12 gauge(10D)  in to rear passanger door (1 success, no called shot) and cripple the vehicle (at least a Serious wound).

What book is this shotgun in? Even the SPAS is a 10S weapon, so if you have 1 success you're only going to be shooting it for 5M.

Note that he was probably using Shot ammo and forgot that he was (I've done that a few times myself!). That makes it 10D, albeit reduced by twice Impact armor (which a standard vehicle doesn't have -- I know, I know). So yes, it'll do a Serious wound with a single net success. With a Called Shot, a single success would disable the vehicle.
Austere Emancipator
Which brings up the point that, for the purpose of determining damage from flechette-type damage (shot ammunition, flechette ammunition, some grenades, etc), all vehicles, at least BOD 3 and up, should be considered armored. They aren't in canon, but they should be.
hobgoblin
body should never have been used to calculate size. you have CF, this tells you how mutch room a normal design in that class can handle. the CF to me sounds like its a nice way to tell size (unless your useing a cabriolet but then the rules dont cover that). this way the only thing a high body rating indicates is mass (if comboed with load so as to take into account all the stuff that is put into the vehicle) and thoughness. therefor you can get a drone that is low on cf and load (cant carry much more then its own mass) but still be so though that you must shoot it with a panther or higher to even dent it...

the problem is basicly that body is a rating used to define to many things at ones...
Edward
Dave I really don’t like your ad hock rules.

They assume that your not always trying to hit the vehicle in a place that matters.

When firing on a meta human it is assumed that unless otherwise stated the shooter is aiming for head or torso. .

Your suggestion that a attack made against a vehicle (without specifying subsystem) staged to deadly results in blowing out a couple of windows and will not stop the vehicle is a problem. It assumes that the shooter is not among for a vulnerable spot and is comparable to saying you only shoot the trole in the arm because you weren’t specifically aiming for the torso, your deadly wound completely disabled his left arm now he is shooting you with the right.

It also presumes that the way the mechanics are listed in the book you never make a vehicle look obviously damaged. Less effective shots can be described as breaking a window and any shot will result in bullet marks on the body (you cant damage anything in the enjun bay without putting some holes in the panel work) personally I describe many shots that are negated by vehicle armour as doing visible non structural damage to the target. It really stuffs up the ruthenium pint job.

Botch asks why it is harder to kill a truck than a car. I am speaking in general terms hear but I have observed trucks to be sturdier in the shacy (to carry the load) to have more durable body work (to deal with road kill and kicked up stones) bull/roo bars (for bigger road kill) and the block is built much heavier. For empirical evidence look at the sate of the vehicles every time there is a crash involving a car and a truck.

Lastly bod doesn’t really relate to size. Look at some of the military vehicles and you will see they have a much hire body for there size than others. There is a relationship but it is not the be all and end all of vehicle size.

Edward
iPad
I think Edward hit the nail on the head........
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Edward)
Lastly bod doesn’t really relate to size. Look at some of the military vehicles and you will see they have a much hire body for there size than others. There is a relationship but it is not the be all and end all of vehicle size.

In terms of volume, BOD doesn't always describe just size. It is all about mass, though. RL tracked APCs can weigh 20-25+ metric tons, compared to well under 20 metric tons for most trucks (M2 Bradley 22,700kg, Warrior IFV 24,500kg, M977 HEMTT 17,200kg) -- although tracked APCs are generally smaller in volume to Heavy Transports, they are often heavier, and incidentally have 1 higher BOD.

I could do a similar comparison of jet fighters (BOD 7) vs twin engine commercial/private aircraft (BOD 6) -- for an example, check the max Loads of the two with jet turbine power plants: 12,500kg vs 5,000kg. And the same could be said about Attack vs utility helos (5,000kg vs 3,6000kg in max Loads), etc.

Looking at these figures, the apparently higher Body ratings of military vehicles are due only to their mass. They do not get any extra Body compared to civilian vehicles.
spotlite
QUOTE (Edward @ Oct 31 2004, 06:00 PM)
Your suggestion that a attack made against a vehicle (without specifying subsystem) staged to deadly results in blowing out a couple of windows and will not stop the vehicle is a problem. It assumes that the shooter is not among for a vulnerable spot and is comparable to saying you only shoot the trole in the arm because you weren’t specifically aiming for the torso, your deadly wound completely disabled his left arm now he is shooting you with the right.

just as an aside, while I would never transfer a deadly wound to a non-critical location like an arm, I have never seen anywhere that the system 'assumes' you're aiming for any particular part of the metahuman body. As far as I know its a totally abstract system, so as long as the damage result is comparable I think its ok to describe the area which is hit if you want (i.e. a deadly wound should not result in an arm getting blown off, while a light wound shouldn't hit you in the eye).

I tend to play damage descriptions by ear, based on the level the target soaked down from. if someone is hit with a D, but soaks it down to an M, I may well say they've been hit in the arm. Maybe they turned at the last minute and the shot which previously would have hit them in the throat and taken their head off hit them in the shoulder, instead only causing a moderate wound. If someone was hit with a D and staged down to serious, then they may well have just lost an arm (but then, we also play that you start to bleed out if you take a Serious wound all in one go at 1 box per turn). It's flavour text, the modifiers from the wound apply as normal, but maybe he also dropped his gun held in that arm as a result - though it would be very, very rare for me to do that as there are rules for determining limb loss already. I've never randomly taken a limb from a PC, I use it mainly for non-critical goon-types. I think it adds to the game more in terms of atmosphere than it takes away in 'non-consistency'. I agree with everything else you said though.

I do like the triple body dice vs small arms though. As for AV rounds for small arms - I agree realistically they probably shouldn't be available - but dammit, I LIKED Lethal Weapon two (or was it three? Meh, they're all good.)....
Austere Emancipator
You mean the movie where bullets made out of frying pans penetrate an inch of steel and 3 armored vests? They are APDS, not AV -- they would just make a tiny little hole into a vehicle and the teflon coating would actually lubricate the engine and make it function better. indifferent.gif
hobgoblin
there is one table that makes a mess of the body stuff and that is the one on page 62 of rigger3. now if they changed the last header to read (normaly) then maybe it would make sense (if they allso allowed for makeing vehicles more massive by replaceing aliminium and carbon with steel and similar as a design option). that way you could have a drone that had dual digit body if you wanted to. but as the table stands now the highest body a drone can have is about 2. anything larger then that becomes a car or fixed wing drone (why is that suddeny more massive then a normal drone btw?)...
Stumps
When firing on a meta human it is assumed that unless otherwise stated the shooter is aiming for head or torso. .

Torso? yes.
Head? hell no. Take a friggen called shot for that if you're in the middle of combat!

If you are staked out prone about to snipe you can just tell me your shooting his head, but I'll be a dumb-asses pet monkey if I've ever seen a sniper NOT AIM and instead just tell me that their shooting for the head.

Torso is the most commonly aimed area.
Heads are not really ever aimed at if you know what the hell you're doing!
Do you have any idea how easy it is to miss a head on a target?

Just try going to a timed pop-up range that has silloettes(sp) and try only shooting at the heads.

Sure, 50 meters is simple enough if your fast enough.
100 meters might even be probable if you're a good aim and laying prone.
200 meters is really starting to stretch it on a timed pop-up range.
By 300 meters you have to be the dumbest sob to be generally aiming for a head shot!

Now...to bring it more to a realistic style.
Take that same timed pop-up range except this time stand in front of ONE of the firing lines that holds the targets (presently laying down waiting the start of the session). Note that there are 3 more of these firing lanes on the range, all of which are waiting for your session to start.
The session starts and you have to shoot the target that pops up at lane 1, run over to lane 2 and shoot the target that will pop up there along your way to it, and then on to 3 and the final 4th.
All the targets on all 4 lanes were randomly between 50, 100, 200, and 300 meters in distance while you were speed-walking/running/crouching/in prone.
You had to run back and forth shooting these until the targets stopped popping up.

Now, just with that. Would you ever bother to aim for anything but the torso?

Now do some justice and let the targets start firing back at you while you do all of that.
Still want to try for head shots?
hobgoblin
heh, maybe its time we introduce a dice roll to say what part of the target you hit?
Stumps
NO!!

oh man people have tried...oh they have tried.
SR is just not the system for that....you'd have to re-do SO SO SO much crap to do hit locations...

I tried once...it's an ugly disection.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Stumps)
you'd have to re-do SO SO SO much crap to do hit locations...

All personal armor and preferably tune firearm Damage Codes. Then you should decide on some rulings relating to cover and concealability, and perhaps introduce some things like semi-called shots (Aim Low/Aim High, that sort of thing). Am I forgetting about something?
Stumps
supressive fire, vehicle damage from fire arms, the condition monitors, aimed shots, called shots, every modifier would need to be translated to a system that has a way of telling us where the rounds went and how far off they were when they missed their mark, *takes a deep breath*, burst-fire, automatic fire, flamethrowers and the like, recoil, recoil modifier gear, body layout over X amount of D6 and what those areas detail, what armor covers how much of the previous statments areas, armor week spots, bunnies, shotguns shot radius and it's translation to the location system, chain guns, vehicles would need a hit location too, so would drones, thrown weapons the abilities to do so acurately therein, and every targeting system in the game.

I'm sure I'm fogetting something
lorthazar
Is every one forgetting that the part of a vehicle you need to damage to make it unusable is often the size of a dwarf, incredibly complex, sometimes fragile, and in some cases explosive in it's own right.

Also the Body of vehicle acts as both ballistic and impact armor.

In case your also wondering not just any handgun can harm a car it has to have a base Damage level of Moderate of better. In other words be a true monster of a gun. And flechette do their extra damage against people to a car it is actuall less than worthless
Kagetenshi
No, it doesn't. You're thinking of vehicular armor, which acts like vehicular armor rather than either of what you mentioned.

~J
lorthazar
Sorry was operating under the mistaken impression that they left that in form Second Ed. Of course it sill works that way in my campiagns making vehicles much harder to kill so i was wondering why everyone was compalining so bad. If you wann beef up vehicles though I suggest adding this oldie back in.
Kagetenshi
Not really. The problem expressed by some is that either vehicles are immune to the weapon, are incapable of staging it down completely even if the adjusted power is 2, or have a rigger inside. That doesn't alter the stated problem.

~J
Stumps
Roll Karma point as a die to hit the gas tank biggrin.gif
j/k
lorthazar
Well any driver can make a car virtually invulnerable if they are skilled enough. Your post made it sound like you were perplexed by the ability of a skilled shooter to cripple of destroy a parked, empty car with his Ares Predator.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Stumps)
supressive fire

That's no more affected than any other type of gunfire. Roll as normal. No extra ruling required.
QUOTE (Stumps)
vehicle damage from fire arms

Unless you want to add hit locations for vehicles -- which using hit locations for people absolutely does not require -- you do not need to change any rules regarding vehicles.
QUOTE (Stumps)
the condition monitors

You don't need to touch these. The only related thing is possible separate wound effects from hit locations -- such as no Over-Damage from limb hits. The condition monitor can stay the same.
QUOTE (Stumps)
aimed shots

No difference whatsoever.
QUOTE (Stumps)
called shots

Instead of calling a shot for special effect or for +1 DL, you're now calling a shot to a body part. Apart from what I said above, no extra ruling required.
QUOTE (Stumps)
every modifier would need to be translated to a system that has a way of telling us where the rounds went and how far off they were when they missed their mark

No they wouldn't. When you're not hitting someone extremely well, your chances of hitting a particular body part are in no way affected by recoil, visibility, movement, etc. You'll hit a guy in the arms just as much when it's dark as in daylight.
QUOTE (Stumps)
burst-fire

No change.
QUOTE (Stumps)
automatic fire

Cut them into bursts, other than that no change.
QUOTE (Stumps)
flamethrowers and the like

Play them like spells, grenades, and all other types of large area damage -- ie play them exactly like they are played in canon. No extra ruling required.
QUOTE (Stumpts)
recoil, recoil modifier gear

Hit locations have absolutely nothing to do with recoil. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
QUOTE (Stumps)
body layout over X amount of D6 and what those areas detail

If you use random hit locations, you need to have a hit location table. I thought that much was obvious.
QUOTE (Stumps)
what armor covers how much of the previous statments areas, armor week spots

I already said you need to re-do armor. Factoring in armor weak spots is as ridiculous as factoring in the aorta and the spine on the hit location table. Such things are covered by the dice rolls as always.
QUOTE (Stumps)
shotguns shot radius and it's translation to the location system

Easy: Use any of the great house rule suggestions abound in the shotgun-related threads and you don't need any extra ruling for shotguns and hit locations. It's a good idea to do this regardless of whether you use hit locations.
QUOTE (Stumps)
chain guns

Just what the hell have these got to do with hit locations? "Because people now have hit locations, we also need special rules for weapons which have a chain-driven belt feed with a separate delinker/feeder"? Eh?
QUOTE (Stumps)
vehicles would need a hit location too, so would drones

No they don't. Just like separating Firearms skills doesn't mean you need to separate Computer skills or Sorcery skills, just because one part of a game is more detailed doesn't mean every other part has to as well.
QUOTE (Stumps)
thrown weapons the abilities to do so acurately therein

Thrown weapons are in no way affected. They function as they always have.
QUOTE (Stumps)
every targeting system in the game

Nope. Not one single targeting system needs to be changed in any way. Smartlinks, laser sights, vision magnification, even Naval Weapon Control Networks, everything functions exactly like they always have.

Looking at these, maybe it's better you forget about the rest. Other than the ones I already mentioned, only shotguns firing shot at significant ranges and burst/FA fire could be considered to be a problem, but only if you want to completely forget about GM's job of describing combat.
Stumps
You forgot the bunnies
Austere Emancipator
Did I? Must be getting old.
mfb
gangbangers blew up a car? that should've made the nightly news, can i see a link?
lorthazar
From seven years ago, good luck. Besides it never made the news. Chicago newsrooms have more important things to report than the doings of gangs.
Edward
Stumps. Your point on head shots is well made head shots are rather difficult. For descriptive purposes I would on occasion say it is a head shot when the result is death or massive injury (1 or 2 overflow boxes left) this will not be common and is descriptive only.

As to the difficulty I will point out that under any circumstances it is as easy to take a head shot with a SL2 and range finder as a center of body shot is without targeting mods. This point however is meaningless unless your talking about using the called shot rules.

Edward
Catsnightmare
Well having experienced first hand the way the standing rules can seriously screw vehicles and drones, (In one run I lost two drones, total replacement costs were in excess of 250,000 nuyen. My GM literally jaw-dropped when I told him.), I'm getting seriously tempeted to house rule some stuff in this game I'm preparing to run now.

I'm thinking of using 2nd Editon rule as lorthazar suggested, and/or another house rule suggested in an earlyer thread of allowing vehicle armor rating as extra dice for damage resistance tests.
Sandoval Smith
What I feel about shooting is that when you are not specifically aiming or doing a called shot, you are pointing your barrel at the center of mass and hoping for the best. It should take an extraordinarily lucky shot for one regular bullet to be able to disable a car. If nothing else, there's a whole lot of metal, body structure, and all sorts of other power dampening objects that the bullet will have to go through before it hits something vital. After all of that, one regular bullet just doesn't have the damage capcity to do too much. A lucky shot will blow out the raditor, or make the engine choke on it's own pistons.

I like D. Funk's tripling the body roll against non-vehicular ammo. It means that even without a rigger, a mundane vehicle can still have a good chance of being able to get the hell out of Dodge, if none of the shooters gets too lucky.
Ol' Scratch
What I feel about shooting is that when you are not specifically aiming or doing a called shot, you are pointing your barrel at the center of mass and hoping for the best.

If that were the case, staging wouldn't be based on the skill you use to take down an opponent (be it a metahuman, vehicle, or anything else).

I like D. Funk's tripling the body roll against non-vehicular ammo. It means that even without a rigger, a mundane vehicle can still have a good chance of being able to get the hell out of Dodge, if none of the shooters gets too lucky.

Glad you dig it. But after reading Catsnightmare's post, I might try playtesting his suggestion about allowing the Armor Rating to add extra dice for the test on top of that (though only on a one-to-one ratio, not triple the armor). Seems really good on the surface and after a little number crunching.
Stumps
Something to keep in mind.

The average pistol on a runner is a Pred III.
9M is not exactly a "normal round"
It's more akin to a hand cannon if I remember Raygun's claims right.
lorthazar
Here is an idea one of my players just suggested. Allow only a single Stage up and two stages down when resolving damage form small arms (anything less than a Heavy Machine Gun)

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Stumps)
The average pistol on a runner is a Pred III.
9M is not exactly a "normal round"
It's more akin to a hand cannon if I remember Raygun's claims right.

QUOTE (Raygun @ Jun 10 2004, 11:28 PM, http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...00&#entry124361)
Personally, I figure that the baseline Ares Predator is a 10mm Auto.

The 10mm Auto is far from a hand cannon. It's certainly a powerful pistol caliber, with about as much kinetic energy at the muzzle as a .357 Magnum at the same barrel length. But, considering all small arms, it's still very close to the Sucky end of the metal penetration scale. The 10mm Auto is also very much a "normal round", being in use by FBI in their Glocks, among others. Whether you consider "Heavy Pistol Ammunition" "normal rounds" or not is, of course, another matter entirely.

I'm sure it's entirely possible to disable a car with a single shot with a 10mm Auto pistol. Firing from a distance of 1 meter at a parked car, it might even be likely in the hands of someone who knows where to hit it. However, that seems to me like a worse chance of "making a kill" than you'd have with a .22 LR pistol firing at a human. Nearly anyone can kill a human with a .22 LR pistol if the human is still, 1 meter away. Thus I have no problem with the average sedan dealing better with Heavy Pistols than humans deal with Hold-Out Pistols.
Edward
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
What I feel about shooting is that when you are not specifically aiming or doing a called shot, you are pointing your barrel at the center of mass and hoping for the best. It should take an extraordinarily lucky shot for one regular bullet to be able to disable a car. If nothing else, there's a whole lot of metal, body structure, and all sorts of other power dampening objects that the bullet will have to go through before it hits something vital. After all of that, one regular bullet just doesn't have the damage capcity to do too much. A lucky shot will blow out the raditor, or make the engine choke on it's own pistons.

but your not shooting centre of mass. To do so would be stupid.

On a meta human you shoot centre of mass because that is where most of the organs are.

If your shooting a vehicle centre of mass is a big empty aria so you shoot the enjun bay assuming the vehicle is not armoured you have to shoot threw 1 or 2 layers of light steel not strong enough to reliably hold the weight of human (I have seen people destroy car hoods by siting on them). The enjun bays on most modem cars are tightly packed with hoses, electronic leads and components not strong enough to stop a bullet.

As to the normality of a predator it is the 2nd most powerful light weapon in the game. (heavy pistols can reach 10M base shotguns are not really light weapons) if that’s not a hand canon then what is.

Edward
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Edward)
if that’s not a hand canon then what is.

A Conc 6 Sporting Rifle. The Ruger Super Warhawk firing APDS or EX-Ex.

If you want to base your argument on how easily cars break down in the real world, then you also have to take into account how guns work in the real world. In the real world, you can't fit 15 rounds of "hand cannon" caliber ammunition in a through-grip pistol magazine and still expect the gun to be wieldable by anything but a troll. In the real world, handguns suck for penetrating lots of metal compared to rifles -- low velocities, large projectile diameters, rather soft projectiles.
DrJest
Interesting points all. I've been cogitating away while reading this thread, and my conclusions - such as they are - run kind of like this.

Just blasting away at a vehicle gets you pretty much nowhere. The ratio of empty space to critical components is too bad. As a commentary on weapons used by the LRDG said: "Boyse A/T Rifle - A rather old-fashioned design, the Boyse was a high-velocity rifle shooting a special armor-penetrating projectile. While it was effective at penetrating vehicle armor at several hundred feet, the amount of damage done by the non-explosive bullet was negligible (the chances of hitting something vital inside the vehicle were pretty slim)".

AFAIK (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), most normal rounds lose too much energy penetrating a vehicle's body to do much damage inside once they get there. Hence the use of weapons such as the infamous .44 Magnum as "trunk guns" for stopping vehicles (usually, I believe, by cracking the engine block).

These lead me to the following conclusions:

A weapon with a base Power level (before considerations of automatic or burst fire) of 9 or less has its damage staged down by two levels, not one. The average heavy pistol, therefore, now does nil damage before successes.

A weapon loading non-penetrating rounds suffers the vehicle's Body as automatic successes on the damage resistance check.

Vehicle armour, as in 2nd Ed, adds to the Body for damage resistance in all cases.

Rounds that therefore should cause more damage do; explosive in a heavy pistol, for example, stages down only one level since the power will go up past the required 9, but is non penetrating so tends to do more surface damage (eg, automatic successes from the Body).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (DrJest)
AFAIK (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), most normal rounds lose too much energy penetrating a vehicle's body to do much damage inside once they get there.

Unless you hit some of the heavier supports, this is not true. Most of the body of the car does not slow down even your average handgun shot that much. With deforming/fragmenting ammunition it would make a significant difference to the amount of steel the round can penetrate afterwards, but since you are probably not depending on penetrating a lot of metal to stop the average sedan with a handgun, this wouldn't matter much.

There are, of course, a lot of thicker spots in a car's body. Rigid crash bars and what have you. Hitting these would stop many handgun rounds, especially deforming and fragmenting kinds. But the sheet metal/plastic covering offers no protection against firearms, as witnessed by the fact that nearly any firearm will cleanly penetrate a non-armored car door. Some handgun and many center-fire rifle loads will penetrate two car doors just fine, and still seriously wound or kill anyone foolish enough to hide behind them.

The 9 Power limit for double down-staging seems a bit artificial, since that means a 10M pistol is better at disabling vehicles than a 9S Sporting Rifle or MMG (5L vs 4L), and that just plain doesn't make sense. I like adding more dice to the Damage Resistance test, because of scalability issues like that.

Also, using experiences with antitank rifles in WW2 as a source for what happens to your average vehicle when shot is not a good idea. Unlike most drones, cars, motorcycles, etc, armored vehicles are designed so that their vulnerable spots are hard to hit. Shooting at tanks at any of the common engagement angles, you are basically relying on hitting the crewmen, machinery operating the main weapon or the turret, or, with massive luck, the ammunition in such a way as to detonate it.

Since the insides of tanks are complicated and very hard to visualize from the outside, most AT riflemen would just fire at the front center of the hull, hoping there's something important behind there (unless they're giving up on penetrating/damaging the hull and turret, in which case they're just firing holes in the tracks). There's a whole lot of space inside a tank, and very little of it is filled with absolutely critical targets. Shooting 14mm holes through it won't get you very good results. In most vehicles, the "critical target density" in the area where most of the shots are concentrated is much higher.

Modern tanks are a bit different, and most modern tankers would probably be screwed after a 14mm incendiary projectile penetrates the interiors. Fortunately, that will never happen.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
What I feel about shooting is that when you are not specifically aiming or doing a called shot, you are pointing your barrel at the center of mass and hoping for the best.

If that were the case, staging wouldn't be based on the skill you use to take down an opponent (be it a metahuman, vehicle, or anything else).

Perhaps I could have phrased that better. An attack without a specific declared target is going for expected point of most effect. The higher the skill of the shooter, the better they are at getting that bullet consistantly to the target's center (instead of a shot that takes a chunk off a rib (M), you get a clean penetration and the bullet gets to bounce of various internal parts, doing even more damage (D) ).

With a car, it might not be center of mass. Instead, most shots will probably be directed towards the cab / engine compartment (which like center of mass on a humanoid, would be location of expected most effect on a vehicle). And aside from empty space, there's a lot of heavy metal stuff in there that can take a bullet and stop it cold.

So, summation. One man, with predator vs car is a contest where the odds should be on the car.
lorthazar
Well maybe your average man with stripped down gun. Unfortunately those are few and very far between in Shadowrun PC's.

First a Predator is basically a 10mm or .44 magnum. And I am not talking the soft load 10mm ammo that FBI uses everyday. i am referring to the heavy hitting XTP rounds that actually make the weapon a match for a magnum. The Ruger Super Warhawk is a .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh in terms of power. Now any of these will blow through thin sheet metal, plastics, and fiberglass. The last two being what cars of the 2060's will be made of.

Second most characters I know of have at least a 4 in Pistols or whatever gun they are using. This makes them quite confident with their weapon. Ontop of that most of the ones trying to hit a car with a gun will have a smartlink, letting them feel where the bullet will go with pinpoint accuracy. Ninety percent of these people will have either learned or been taught where to shoot to inflict maximum damage of a vehicle. As mentioned above the engine on a car is a pretty big thing.

Now as for rigger being able to dodge fire in their vehicle. Well that can be disallowed if the vehicles isn't already moving, is in a tightly restricted area, or many other factors. being a rigger doesn't make it so bullets bounce off the wind sheild. they just never hit the car in the first place.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (lorthazar)
First a Predator is basically a 10mm or .44 magnum. And I am not talking the soft load 10mm ammo that FBI uses everyday. i am referring to the heavy hitting XTP rounds that actually make the weapon a match for a magnum.

When I said a 10mm Auto pushes about as much kinetic energy out the barrel as a .357 Magnum, I was talking about the "heavy hitting" loadings. No matter what you put into a 10mm Auto, it won't get anywhere near the kind of energy levels a .44 Magnum is at, unless you like exploding handguns.

Some of the most powerful factory loads for 10mm Auto get ~650 ft-lbs out of a 5" pistol barrel -- up to 1300fps with a 175gr bullet. A 158gr .357 Magnum can get 1350fps out of a 6" revolver barrel for 635 ft-lbs. A .41 Magnum can easily push a 210gr bullet at 1300fps for 788 ft-lbs. A .44 Magnum can propel a 210gr bullet out of a 6" revolver barrel at 1500fps for 1050 ft-lbs.

You can find more powerful loadings for any of these, but that's about as high as they get in common use. Those Hornady XTPs of yours are not even near the 650 ft-lbs mark, with 556 and 490 ft-lbs at the muzzle for 180gr and 200gr loads.
lorthazar
10 MM
155 Grain XTP-JHP** 1450fps 723
180 Grain XTP-JHP** 1350fps 728
200 Grain XTP-JHP 1250fps 694
200 Grain FMJ-FP 1250fps 694

And those are factory loads in the mid ranges don't believe me check here

compare these to .45 ACP or to the wide range of ammo Here

Now this isn't taking inot account the various custom lods you can order or the handloads you can make yourself

Stumps
Ok...here's my little thought on the vehicle damage.

Small Arms vs. Parked car. Have fun! Shoot the hell out of it! Aim for the tire, open the hood and aim at an integral part of the engine, aim for the gas tank if you want, shoot at the driver seat. Hell, shoot the mirror off all you want.

Small Arms Vs. Moving Car.
This is SO much more dificult to do things like Aim At Tires like people keep talking about.
It's not as hard as aiming for someones head but shooting at a moving vehicle in any effort to disable it with small arms fire is a bit difficult with most forms of small arms.

Case in point: This is why they made the .50 callibur rifle round. (not to be confused with the .50 cal pistol round.)

A .50 calibure round will split an engine block.

An assult rifle round won't really do that.
Automatic fire of many rounds from an assult rifle (M4 for example) will disable the vehicle and make it much easier to take out things like tires because you are shooting a mass amount of rounds along the path of the tires.

But saying that I can take a 9mm pistol of some sort and disable a vehicle with it is a bit of a stretch.
The best chance I have is to shoot the tires, but the chance to hit it is not very high.

A motor home was driven at medium speed in circles around State Police for training. They each emptied two magazines before they hit the tires.

It is much more likely that the passengers and driver of the vehicle will be seriously injured from the rounds traveling through the vehicle than it is that the vehicle itself will be disabled.
Shooting a vehicle midway up the door across the driver side is one of the most effective ways to stop a vehicle by simply firing at it.
This is because you will have the highest chances of seriously wounding the driver which will cause them to stop driving the vehicle.
It is even easier to shoot the driver from head on, but it's not recomended that you stand in front of a vehicle that you are shooting at as the repercutions of shooting a driver tends to be a loss of control and your own safety would be in serious risk.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (lorthazar)
And those are factory loads in the mid ranges

I got all those on my first Googling. Those are certainly not "mid range" in the 10mm Auto power scale, those are near the absolute top. Even most of the "full power" 10mm Autos are well below 700 ft-lbs. This site, for example, calls 600-650 ft-lbs "full power" and 700-750 ft-lbs "nuclear".

Similarly I could point to some of the original .44 Remington Magnum loadings which produced 1200 ft-lbs+. Or even to some of the .41 Magnums which fire a 240gr bullet at 1700fps for 1500 ft-lbs (at pressures in excess of 50,000 psi). This doesn't change the fact that 1050 ft-lbs is around the upper end of what people commonly fire out of .44 Magnums, 800 ft-lbs for .41 Magnums and 650 ft-lbs for 10mm Auto.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Stumps)
Case in point: This is why they made the .50 callibur rifle round. (not to be confused with the .50 cal pistol round.)

Weeeell, the .50 BMG was designed to be used in AAMGs, so I guess it works out that it was made to punch through engine blocks of moving vehicles, just not ground-bound ones. The same goes for the Russian 12.7x108mm. Most .50/12.7mm rifle calibers were indeed designed for AAMGs or, in some cases, antitank rifles.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (lorthazar)
The Ruger Super Warhawk is a .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh in terms of power. Now any of these will blow through thin sheet metal, plastics, and fiberglass. The last two being what cars of the 2060's will be made of.

Isn't the Ruger Warhawk a very obvious stand-in for the Ruger Redhawk, which is just a .44 magnum?
Austere Emancipator
Ruger Super Redhawks are available in .44 Rem Mag, .454 Casull and .480 Ruger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012