Full Version: "best" adept powers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FlakJacket
Which is why you take them as vision mods and don't lose a thing. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
I was more referring to:

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Coupled with natural Thermo and cybernetic Ultrasound Vision (to round out the cybereye's freebie and to keep Dumpshockers from whining)

smile.gif
Fortune
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how one would go about combining Eye Lights with natural Low Light vision, since Eye Lights cannot be installed in natural eyes, IIRC.
Ol' Scratch
Feel free to read over Improved Sense and point out where it states that it's incompatible with cyberware. Ditto for the cyberware. It's a magical improvement of your senses, not necessarily a magical improvement of your sensory organs though, as with most adept powers, it can be explained as such.
Fortune
That's a bit of a stretch. Canon states that a person replacing their eyes loses all his natural vision augmentations, and an Adept's visual Powers are described as being natural.

Interesting munch though, if it does work as you say. smile.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 31 2004, 12:04 AM)
Feel free to read over Improved Sense and point out where it states that it's incompatible with cyberware.  Ditto for the cyberware.

While I would laugh and then stab anyone who suggested this for an actual game I was to run, it certainly looks like a prime candidate for Best Loop Hole '04. The closest it comes is saying for magic, bio, and cyber that have duplicate effects only the highest rated applies (which I think it says in MitS), IIRC.

[edit] Thought Fortune brings up a good point, too. That's under cybereyes in SR3 right?
Ol' Scratch
That's a bit of a stretch. Canon states that a person replacing their eyes loses all his natural vision augmentations, and an Adept's visual Powers are described as being natural.

You need to re-read the canon material sometime, then.

First, you're confusing a FAQ answer as canon, and even then the question was only asking which modifier you use for determining visibility modifiers.

Second, as previously stated, the Improved Sense power makes no mention of an incompability with cyberware, the Cybereyes entry makes no mention of an incompatibility with Improved Sense, and even the section in M&M on Bioware and Magic doesn't makes any mention whatsoever about artificial Cat's Eyes being incompatible with Improved Sense.

Just because you have a narrowly defined perception of how some adept powers work, that doesn't make it canonical nor the only means to describe how they work. Even a blind swordsman who had his eyes plucked out by an old rival could have Low-Light Vision (and/or other visual senses) and describe it as being some kind of mystical third-eye. He doesn't qualify for the Blind flaw, but it's still a 100% valid and 100% rules-legal concept.

That's the charm of the adept concept. They get to explain their abilities as freely as they like as long as it works within the constraints of the power.
Fortune
That's your interpretation, but that doesn't necessarily make it canon.

According to canon, Eye lights cannot be installed in natural eyes. A troll who installs cybereyes loses his natural Thermographic Vision, just as an elf loses his natural Low Light when doing the same. As an Adept's Powers are described as being natural, a case can be made either way.
Ol' Scratch
Once again, you need to re-read the canon material sometime. Especially based upon your last completely ignorant sentence... which I corrected you on with the very first thing in the last message.
Eyeless Blond
Either way, he'll still lose the ork's natural low-light vision, unless you use Doc's interpretation *and* the ork buys his low-light as an Improved Sense. In the end I suppose it's worth it. It even makes a kind of sense, as much as magic ever makes. After all, you don't restrict the adept from channeling his Killing Hands through a cyberlimb, do you? Or from taking Dermal Sheathing and combining it with Mystic Armor?
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 31 2004, 04:42 PM)
Once again, you need to re-read the canon material sometime.  Especially based upon your last completely ignorant sentence... which I corrected you on with the very first thing in the last message.

Nice couple of edits! wink.gif

If you note, I twice conceded that it could be interpreted in the manner you describe. You, as usual, stoop to heaping insults on anyone who even vaguely disagrees with one of your opinions. Have a nice day. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
Good riddance.
techboy
QUOTE (Fortune)
According to canon, Eye lights cannot be installed in natural eyes.

Where does it say that? I've never seen such a thing. On the other hand, the expanded vision modifiers table in Man and Machine includes an entry for natural low light with eye lights.
Ol' Scratch
There is no such ruling. I suggested he re-read the material since he was making multiple mistakes, but apparently that was a grevious insult.

The only implant that I can remember that specifically mentions it can only be installed in a cybereye is the Basic Eye Laser System. There may be one or two others, but that's the only one I can remember at the moment.
Eyeless Blond
Eye datajacks as well, although neither are really relevant here. Again, my only real point was that you can't get cybereyes (for the Essence savings) and retain your natural low-light vision. Though it has no real basis in the rules, I still don't think adepts should be allowed to get cybereyes without losing their magical improved vision, but that's mostly because I don't like adepts, and has nothing to do with the rules.

Anyway, back to the character:

"I 4 (4-1)"
I think you meant "I 4 (5-1)" here.

"Proj Weapons/Bows 2 (1.0)"

I agree with the people who said this isn't all that useful right now. Seven dice for shooting bows is fine until you hit around 50 Karma or so. I suggest 2 levels of Improved Stealth and either a couple more Improved Senses, Magic Sense, or Empathic Sense. Flare Comp is nice, as is Microscopic Vision if you ever plan on learning B&E, which you should considering you are the stealth man.

I'd also listen to toturi's advice about shifting around your attritutes and skills a little. Honestly your skill in stealth is almost certainly going to be more important than your skill at negotiations; only rarely will you be able to negotiate better than a Johnson, who's usually highly specialized for just such a purpose, and Stealth'll actually keep you alive.
Ol' Scratch
Again, my only real point was that you can't get cybereyes (for the Essence savings) and retain your natural low-light vision.

No argument from me there.

For adept powers (all geased because I appreciate the flavor they add) for this type of character, I'd likely go Improved Projectile Weapons 4, Improved Stealth 4, Improved Reflexes 2, Quick Draw, Traceless Walk, and Improved Senses (any four of choice). But that's just me. I almost never bother with the Improved Physical Attributes; Attribute Boost is fun every now and again, but IPA is just a waste of magic.
Shanshu Freeman
I could be way off, and I'm half awake here, but;

Thermo and low light naturally occur in metahumans as a fact of biology right? Magically active or not, an elf can have lowlight, and a dwarf can have thermo, right? Physiological science. If the sense organ is removed, then so are it's inherant benefits...

If I remember right, can't cyberwear be taken with you into the astral plane because it's paid for with essence? Which means your cyberlimb or your spurs or whatever aren't left behind when you go astral.

Physad's abilities are explicitly unnatural They are supernatural or magic, aren't they?

That do anything for anybody?

I dunno... some random disjointed thoughts.
Dr. Black
Adept Vision/hearing etc. enhancements are considered natural. This according to the FAQ. I would rule that Cybereyes/Ears would replace the "natural" benefit that an adept receives from adept powers.

I know many people feel that an adept should stay mostly magical, or only accept some "light" cyber mods. But what about the full on Cyber Adept. Seems to me the rules were pretty explicitly written that awakened types can accept all except that last point of cyber/bioware and geasa themselves to maintain an equivalent full magic rating. smile.gif

An adept with 8 power points(geasa), 2 bioindex, and 4 pts in cyberware (essence 2) has a real magic attribute of 1 and with geasa functions like he has a magic of 6. Take a single, or even a few, talisman geasa (earings, necklace, or some more personal body piercings in areas that we all know and love). Make sure the adept powers are useful but not critical to overall character function, so that even if you lose the talismans you are still as functional as any other character with 4pts of cyberware and 2pts bioware. love.gif

That would be a pretty trick character to play. With all those options you could fill mutliple roles in a team, especially if you take Skillwires 3, 16mp, CED3 and Custom Activsofts with the cluster option - add EA and you get to roll up to 8 dice for those skill tests. eek.gif

What about magic loss you say? Well on a magic check 2d6 you would have to roll a 2 to lose that last point of magic - a 1 in 36 chance. I would hedge my bets by jacking body with Bonelacing Plastic, Dermal Sheath 1, and Suprathyroid - that should get a human to body 10. Wear good armor, and suffering a deadly wound should be pretty rare. nyahnyah.gif

Min maxing? Well we all do that to one degree or another in our own lives so I wont get into that discussion. rotfl.gif

Well rounded, heck yeah. A character like that could be a face, first or second rate sammy, B/E expert, etc. The trick is all the cool abilities and the skillwires. grinbig.gif

Character story. She hung with the gangs as a youth and started selecting the cyberware/bioware for its obvious benefits. Turns out she was a late bloomer on the magical charts and and when her almost defunct magical ability kicked in she embraced it. Turns out she always had this affinity for some old jewelry her grandmother left her and she never left home without it. It just didnt *feel* right not having all her jewelry in its appropriatly pierced areas, they had become something of a good luck charm to her. Low and behold she discovers that she had bonded the jewelry like a fetish in order to keep from losing all those magic points.

You get the idea. Go ahead and tear it apart. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
Adept Vision/hearing etc. enhancements are considered natural. This according to the FAQ. I would rule that Cybereyes/Ears would replace the "natural" benefit that an adept receives from adept powers.

Once again, no, they're not. The question asked which modifier do you use for visual penalties, and the answer was Natural. Since you guys seem to have trouble reading that, I'll quote the exact entry below.

FAQ: Does the adept power of Improved Sense (specifically, thermographic or low light vision) count as natural or augmented when determing visibility modifiers?
Natural.
Glyph
Combining adept abilities and cyberware can actually produce a tough combination, but there are two problems with a full-bore cybered adept:

First, when adepts accept a geas for magic loss, the game master is the one who selects it. The good news is that many GMs feel this is a silly rule and let adepts pick their geasa like any other awakened character. But most good GMs will still look carefully at geasa, since they are supposed to be an actual limitation on the character.

Secondly, adepts and sammies are already the toughest two types of characters to create, point-wise. They need high physical Attributes but still need moderately good mental Attributes, and they also need a wide range of combat and other skills. When you are spending 25 points on being an adept, and 20-30 points on resources on top of that, you really spread yourself thin. The benefits are counteracted by your inferior skills and Attributes. It depends on the point allocation. For a 150-point game, that kind of character would actually be the smart choice. Trying to do it with 120 points would be pretty painful, though.
Fortune
M&M page 15:

Eye Light System
This light system mounts high-powered, low heat lights in the cybereye ...

As to whether an Adept loses his visual Powers after implanting cybereyes, barring a specific canon ruling, a case can be made either way, as I have said multiple times.

As for an Adept's Powers being considered natural, my mistake. I don't know where I came up with that. My apologies for that, and also to the Doc for my tone last night. I need to learn not to post when tired and in the throws of a migraine.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
Eye Light System
This light system mounts high-powered, low heat lights in the cybereye ...

That's the flavor text. You'll find similar comments in a few other cybereye accessories (such as Vision Magnification). It has to be specifically mentioned in the Game Effects description for it to be limited only to cybereyes, just like the Basic Eye Laser System and (thanks to Blondie) the Eye Datajack mentions it in their Game Effects. Same book, even.
toturi
But isn't flavour text as Canon as game mechanics?
Ol' Scratch
Not when it comes to the rules of the game. Read over Vision Magnification or the fluff vs. rules for Ruthenium Polymers sometime.
mfb
the inability to mount a sensory system in a natural organ is a pretty important distinction. if the eyelight system was not intended to be mounted in a natural eye, the text should be errata'd to reflect that; the vague reference to cybereye mounting is not strong enough to be convincing. or, well, it's not strongly-worded enough to convince me; obviously, though, i'm more resistant to M&M's jedi mind tricks than Fortune is!
GlassJaw
I'd also listen to toturi's advice about shifting around your attritutes and skills a little. Honestly your skill in stealth is almost certainly going to be more important than your skill at negotiations; only rarely will you be able to negotiate better than a Johnson, who's usually highly specialized for just such a purpose, and Stealth'll actually keep you alive.

If we can get back on topic....

So how would you go about making an adept for a small (let's say 3 players) group? Would you just go for stealth or give him some secondary skills as well?
Ol' Scratch
Depends on what the rest of the party is capable of.

Personally, I don't like designing characters that way. Having weak spots in your group makes for a more fun experience in my opinion, though it could lead up to the standard question that gets ignored in Shadowrun; "why would a Johnson hire a team not suitable to the job?"
Siege
Definitely secondary skills - three people for a team is pretty light and the talent will be spread thin.

-Siege
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Depends on what the rest of the party is capable of.

Personally, I don't like designing characters that way. Having weak spots in your group makes for a more fun experience in my opinion, though it could lead up to the standard question that gets ignored in Shadowrun; "why would a Johnson hire a team not suitable to the job?"

Marketing.

Think the advertisements from Ghostbusters.
Shockwave_IIc
Glad the Eye light debate is virtually over, thats some thing i do with so many of my characters wether it be Magic, Racial or Edge based.

QUOTE (Glassjaw)
So how would you go about making an adept for a small (let's say 3 players) group? Would you just go for stealth or give him some secondary skills as well?

Adept Power wise i'd go with fast and stealthy, a little cyber to help with the shootyness (1 Essence worth).
But i know you're not wanting cyber, which makes covering base's with only 3 people very difficult
Ol' Scratch
Eh, even without SOTA:2064, pulling off a warrior adept-face is pretty easy to do, and that covers three areas well enough.

Priorities: Attributes > Magic > Resources > Skills > Race.
Attributes: All of them are important, though Quickness and Charisma are the two I'd focus on.
Skills: Melee/Martial Art Skill, Firearm Skill, Etiquette, Negotiation.
Powers (Geased): Improved Ability: Melee Skill 4, Improved Ability: Firearm Skill 3, Improved Reflexes 2, Improved Senses 4, Quick Draw.
Edges: Ambidexterity 4, Friendly Face, Good Looking & Knows It, Good Reputation 2; Bad Karma, Dark Secret, Police Record (or any other flaws equally -13 points)
Resources: Twin firearms (at least one with a Laser Sight for when you need accuracy over lots of lead), twin melee weapons, Vashon Island Actioneer Line suit, form fitting body armor, pocket secretary, and a handful of diverse contacts.

...and bam, you have someone who's pretty gosh-darn effective across all three categories. You're throwing 10 (Specialization 7 + IA 3) dice up to four times a phase with a +0/+0 modifier on your firearms rolls, you have 16 dice available for all of your melee tests, and you're more than capable of dealing with established contacts or people you run into on the street as well as any dedicated mundane face can.

With SOTA:2064, you could even choose to go into munchkin territory as the face role if you like (Kinesics 3 alone is ungodly; -3 TN [-5 with Good Reputation 2, meaning -5 on all Availability checks amongst other things] *and* +3 dice on *all* social Charisma Tests... plus more; they need some real frelling playtesters), or you could focus on one of your other areas, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012