Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] SOTM:2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ancient History
Ialdaboath: Uh, no.

Also: I want my Matrix Monocle, dammit!
Fortune
If you notice, you can't use Improved Ability with Technical Skills ... nor can Centering be used on this category. This includes Computers, Biotech, Demolitions, Disguise, Lockpicking, Forgery, Electronics and, thank Dog for small mercies, Small Unit Tactics!
ialdabaoth
D'oh! My beautiful plan, ruined! RUINED!!
audun
QUOTE (ialdabaoth)
On the original track of this thread:

I wonder how many of you guys have pondered THIS form of munchkinism:

Create a Mental Adept. Max out his Intelligence, max out his Medicine, Biotech, and Cybernetics B/R skills. Give him Centering and Improved Ability on all his surgery skills. Give him an OBSCENE number of dice to roll when performing surgery, and allow him to Center vs. Penalties.

Now use all the SR Companion rules for cyber-implant surgery - especially the Essence/Bio Index reduction rules. You SHOULD be able to get up to a 95% Essence reduction per implant trivially.

Bonus points for the true munchkin: Attempt to argue with your GM that the Essence reduction successes apply linearly, not sequentially, so a 21-die success rate means 105% Essence reduction, thus GAINING your character 5% of the cyberware's Essence cost in Essence. Duck flying hardbound 3rd Ed. book and supplements.

Granted: he's not a munchkin, per se. He's a munchkin FACTORY. He MANUFACTURES munchkins, in BULK. Take all your other characters to him for implantation, and stack up 20+ Essence worth of cyberware AND 15+ Bio Index worth of bioware on each of your bad-asses. Give your Mage a Trauma Damper for free!

Now consider how much this guy could charge for his skills. He's an extraction target, not a street doc.
ialdabaoth
I could see playing him, though, with the right bent: an old Chinese Alchemist-style street doc, who uses daoist chi-charting methods and traditional wuxeng alchemy with cutting-edge surgical techniques to implant cyberware along the natural yin lines of the body, where the body's natural chi is already most attuned to the inclusion of metal and earth principles. Add some artistic skills, some tattoing skills, and some enchanting skills, and he'd make an interesting 'backdrop' character to add to a SR team, a street gang, or even a Wuxeng corp story.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
If you notice, you can't use Improved Ability with Technical Skills ... nor can Centering be used on this category. This includes Computers, Biotech, Demolitions, Disguise, Lockpicking, Forgery, Electronics and, thank Dog for small mercies, Small Unit Tactics!

You are right and wrong, Fortune. Centering can be applied to B/R and Technical skills, just need to initiate a couple more times. While there is no IA: Technical skills, there are IA: B/R and IA: Knowledge skills. Medicine is a Knowledge skill.
Fortune
I edited that post to add the bit about Centering too! Damn!

Actually performing Medicine is the use of Biotech though, which one would think would be where IA would come in. nyahnyah.gif

Ancient History
Even assuming you get the four or five successes necessary to get a positive bennie on the surgery, it doesn't say you can take any of the benefits more than once! Really, 45% of the original Essence cost should be enough until they come out with Epsilonware.
toturi
Actually, AH (nice title... now we know who is actually Lowfyr in disguise) there is no actual limit to the number of time a Surgery Edge can be taken baring any limitation specific to that edge. The closest is a twice per Option limit, so it is 40% Essense cost and 65% Bio cost.

And Fortune (Oh great pointy-eared one biggrin.gif ), you'll need that Medicine to make the successful Medicine Test for the Procedure, before you even get a chance at rolling Biotech for the actual surgery.
Fortune
Still a waste! nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
Improved Ability can be used with Build/Repair Skills. Just takes a little finesse and a lot of muscle to convince a GM that Biotech is a Metahuman B/R skill. biggrin.gif
Lindt
Zen and the art of auto repair.... hmmmm
Eggs
Wow, between the condescension-trolling and the blatant name calling, I'm incredibly happy I never had to deal with SOTA. Jeebus Crispy.
Kagetenshi
We're so incredibly overjoyed that you resurrected a thread one day before the anniversary of the last post just to tell us that.

~J
Eggs
Oh, come on. It's been waaaay longer than that grinbig.gif
Member #5177
QUOTE (ialdabaoth)
On the original track of this thread:

I wonder how many of you guys have pondered THIS form of munchkinism:

Create a Mental Adept. Max out his Intelligence, max out his Medicine, Biotech, and Cybernetics B/R skills. Give him Centering and Improved Ability on all his surgery skills. Give him an OBSCENE number of dice to roll when performing surgery, and allow him to Center vs. Penalties.

Now use all the SR Companion rules for cyber-implant surgery - especially the Essence/Bio Index reduction rules. You SHOULD be able to get up to a 95% Essence reduction per implant trivially.

The maximum number of Positive Options you can list (order in which you may try to obtain) is limited by Medicine Skill or by the rating of the medical equipment used. Medicine Skill is only limited by how much karma you want to pour into it, but the highest equipment rating is 8.

So the maximum number of Positive Options that can even be listed is 8.
Synner667
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
The thing that worries me is ever-so-slightly different. Magically active are 1% of the population, but there are more in the shadows. Fine. Whatever. Initiated magicians are supposed to be a rarity, but the rules hardly support this, and the modules support it even less. Almost every module magician is an initiate. And in any campaign I play initiation is the first thing any magician does.

That is one of my main problems with the current SR universe..
..Awakened/Magical people are supposed to be rare, but you can't swing a cat without hitting a bunch of them.

I know there's more magic around, but it seems to have come on really quick - a mere 60 years, from no mages to mages everywhere !!

But then, I totally hate the SR universe where everyone carries a gun and uses it in public, with barely anyone paying attention, and covert activity being so common that groups of armed people running around barely raises an eyebrow.

I just see SR turning into a D&D mockery of itself, where characters are chosen/designed for their bonuses and the gear you have is much more important than the character you portray.

just my thruppence..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012