Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using 2 pistols at the same time
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GrinderTheTroll
So all runners wanna do it one time or another it seems and time SR3 rules are tripping me up a bit.

The PC has SL-2 (no ambidexterity edge) and is firing x2 Ares 3 (SL-2, RC1)

What would the penalties be for him weilding and firing each weapon (SA x2) in the same combat phase?

Thanks.
Kagetenshi
+2 per pistol, recoil applies to both pistols, further penalties for aiming at different targets, smartlinks provide no TN mods.

At Short range and with no recoil comp, firing at one target, TNs would be 6/6 and then 8/8.

~J
Critias
In other words, he's racking up impressive TN mods. No Smartlink (which is already a TN of 2 worse than he's used to), a base +2 for using a second weapon, the recoil adds up very very fast, and he takes MORE TN penalties if he tries to do anything more than unload at one guy.

It's really not worth it unless you've got Ambidexterity, lots of recoil comp, and don't rely on targeting systems in the first place. Adepts can pull it off better than most (partially because not relying on smartlinks is part of their gig anyhow, partially because they can have tons of dice to throw at it, partially because they can Center against penalties)... but even then, you're normally going to do a lot better with one gun, taking your time and firing properly.

Just like in real life.
Kagetenshi
FA-capable SMGs and the suppressive fire rules can work nicely, though.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Only uncompensated recoil is applied to both weapons. On the first Simple Action there is no recoil at all (neither weapon is producing any). On the second shot, each one is absorbing their independant recoil so, again, no recoil is being applied.

Thus the target numbers would be 6/6 and 6/6.
hobgoblin
spray and pray...
lorthazar
Actually all that is if you are firing the two handguns at the same time. I have a few character who use two Beretta 300X (a custom gun based on Equilibrium) one loaded with APDS and the other loaded with Glaser. Against armored opponents the APDS rips through like nobodies business, and for the paranormal animals and the ocassional unarmored combatant the Glaser rips them to shreds. Since I never fire the two weapons during the same combat phase I ignore all the penalties. This makes for good tactical thinking on the part of your gunslingers.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
FA-capable SMGs and the suppressive fire rules can work nicely, though.

A decent amount of recoil compensation (Gas Vent IV, Personalized Grip, Underbarrel Weight) and use of either Tracer or Incendiary Rounds can actually work quite nicely to compensate for the +2/+2 modifier on 6-round FA bursts. No need for the Suppressive Fire rules, either.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)

That's accurate. I had missed his note that there was recoil comp involved, though in my defense I did state that my numbers were sans recoil comp.

~J
Arz
Never overlook the bounty that is suppression fire. After he has used up his combat pool any fool can hit him. If he just soaks you can still get lucky, and he takes a wound.
Ol' Scratch
I was just correcting the numbers for his example. Wasn't trying to say you were wrong. Sorry if it came across that way.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 8 2004, 01:37 PM)

That's accurate. I had missed his note that there was recoil comp involved, though in my defense I did state that my numbers were sans recoil comp.

~J

So +2 per weapon is the only penalty (for this scenario)?

What about shooting the 1st pistol at Target A and 2nd pistol at Target B?
lorthazar
Oooh, i just had an evil thought. Using twin Remington Roomsweepers with shot ammo. Double the power, Double the fun.
Ol' Scratch
Grinder: Yes, the +2/+2 penalty is the only one unique to your situation beyond the lack of a targeting bonus for a smartlink or laser sight. Otherwise, all standard modifiers apply. That includes the one for multiple targets.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
So +2 per weapon is the only penalty (for this scenario)?

What about shooting the 1st pistol at Target A and 2nd pistol at Target B?

+2 for a second target, so it'd be 6/8 6/8.

~J
Everfast
Do you think there should be a penalty to someone who uses their right hand in pass 1 and their left in pass 2 for instance? Is there no off-handedness penalty?
Moon-Hawk
If you have 6point ambidexterity then there's no penalty. If not, you are using a different skill, off-hand pistols, or you're defauting to that skill from pistols, so there's your penalty.
GrinderTheTroll
I am looking for the penalty, not the Target number, so I could apply it as needed.

So for this case, +2/+2 (can't use SL-2) for 4 shots at the same target and +2/+4 for 2 shots at target A and +2/+4 for 2 shots at Target B.

Thanks all, I had it slightly wrong.
Critias
There's no such thing as "off hand pistols."
Moon-Hawk
Oh, are offhand skills only for melee weapons? I guess I forgot about that, 'cause it's stupid. wink.gif
My fault. Sorry to post bad info.
Critias
Yup. You just use your normal Pistols skill (or SMG or whatever is applicable) for an off-hand shooting attack. Which, as you mentioned, is stupid (it's easy to get irritated at how differently they treat the modifiers, skills required, and general rules for melee versus ranged combat).
Kagetenshi
Given that melee and ranged combat are nothing whatsoever like each other, it makes a little tiny bit of sense.

~J
Critias
I'm just noting this is the third or fourth time I've had to point out specifically to someone there's no "off hand pistols" or "off hand smgs" skills -- it's an easy assumption for people to make, given the slew of new (well, not new any more) rules about ambidexterity and various two-weapon methods of harming people, in CC.

They read over the Ambidexterity Edge, they see there's a couple pages of new stuff, they see a big skill list that's all "Off Hand This" and "Off Hand That," and people make a fairly easy assumption, I guess.

I mean, if I need a whole new skill to use two knives at once, it's not any less logical to think I'd need a whole new skill to use two pistols at once, too. It's an easy mistake.
Kagetenshi
It wasn't elegant, but as compared to applying one of the two current sets of Ambidex rules to both types of combat, I think I prefer it.

~J
Stumps
It's easy to get lost in the text, math, game and forget about what the game is trying hard to immitate.
A form of reality through the medium of being believable.

If you come to a rulling and see what their intintions were, but see a better approach to reach a believable reference to an immitated reality, then by all means...strike into it.

Me personally...I think, at this point anyways without much look into it, that I would have an easier time shooting someone with my left hand at medium range by means of multiple shots than by swinging a sword with my left hand.

That's just me.
lspahn72
QUOTE (Critias)
Adepts can pull it off better than most (partially because not relying on smartlinks is part of their gig anyhow, partially because they can have tons of dice to throw at it, partially because they can Center against penalties)...

We have a PC in out group who is a phy adp who starting using two pistols, but has graduated and respend karma on the Ares Laser Pistol and the appropriate skill. No recoil on that i believe, just alot of reloading....

Bigity
Yea, and it sucks in smoke. Does heavy rain effect the lasers also?
lorthazar
Yes, as does Fog, humidity, DarkWall spells, mirrored surfaces, polished chrome and many other things.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (lorthazar)
mirrored surfaces, polished chrome

Not so much for any laser capable of being used as a weapon. I'm pretty sure they'll do a number on most normal mirrors.

~J
lorthazar
well striaght on I would agree as the photons reflected back would just hit the others that follow, but at any angle a substantial part of the laser will be deflected. Still might take damage, but not nearly as much as most objects.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (lorthazar @ Nov 9 2004, 11:33 AM)
mirrored surfaces, polished chrome

Not so much for any laser capable of being used as a weapon. I'm pretty sure they'll do a number on most normal mirrors.

~J

Yeah, but then you get the Bad Karma flaw for 7 years. Or 7 years and 7 days if you're into ED crossovers.
Kanada Ten
well striaght on I would agree as the photons reflected back would just hit the others that follow, but at any angle a substantial part of the laser will be deflected

The mirror must be built to reflect the specific frequency of the beam. I suspect most damaging lasers will use IR as the base (as they have up to now) which eats chrome and most metals for breakfast, no significant power loss. Copper is a better bet, but not much at the power levels we're talking about. A sapphire-carbon coating should help but would cost.
DrJest
Has anyone tried applying the melee two weapon rules to firearms? As I understand it (and this is all rather new to me, so bear with me) you add half your off-hand skill (remembering that at Ambi-6 and higher you don't need a separate skill) to a single skill check, then increase the power of your attack by half as well if you hit. Now, I like this. It's a simple and elegant rule. And I have to say that I don't see a particular issue in using it with firearms (I probably will, as it goes, make it into a house rule), but I wondered what the rest of you think about it.
Ol' Scratch
If I were going to do anything like, I'd much rather treat the situation as Burst or Full-Auto Fire. Not sure exactly how I'd implement it since I don't mind the current rules all that much, but if I were going for something that fit with the rest of the system, that's where I'd start.
Stumps
QUOTE (DrJest @ Nov 9 2004, 11:55 PM)
Has anyone tried applying the melee two weapon rules to firearms? As I understand it (and this is all rather new to me, so bear with me) you add half your off-hand skill (remembering that at Ambi-6 and higher you don't need a separate skill) to a single skill check, then increase the power of your attack by half as well if you hit. Now, I like this. It's a simple and elegant rule. And I have to say that I don't see a particular issue in using it with firearms (I probably will, as it goes, make it into a house rule), but I wondered what the rest of you think about it.

That's a fine idea if they are shooting at the same target and both weapons are exactly the same.

It won't add up exactly right for the damage that the weapons can individually offer though.

9M = moderate damage going into the target
and a second
9M = adding another moderate damage into the target on top of the previous damage which would make it a serious wound.
(this is all un-modified from staging on both sides)

is a bit different from

9 + (9/2)= 13M

Skill wise, we'd be looking at a difference of: (with Ambi-6)
6D6
and a second
6D6
That's 4 total chaces to stage up past two moderate wounds. (two chances per roll)

vs.

9D6, which is roughly around 3.5 chances to stage up one moderate wound.

It's a GREAT idea, and one that I like the looks of for simplicity, but it needs a way to account for that other moderate damage from the second weapon without making things too uber.
DrJest
The question that immediately springs to my mind is, why don't melee weapons get the increase? If you get hit by two swords, you get wounded twice...

Maybe the right way to do it for both would be to make the increase +50% power and +1 damage level?

EDIT: that reminds me:

That's a fine idea if they are shooting at the same target and both weapons are exactly the same.

Yes it would only work if you were shooting at the same target. If you were crazy enough to be shooting at two different targets, use the current rules. As for the weapon being the same, I don't think it's a major issue; after all, most heavy pistols do 9M base damage, most light ones do 6L... as long as the weapons are in the same class, it shouldn't cause a significant problem.
Stumps
The issue with the weapons being exactly the same was not actually addressed in my last post.

It's not the damage that is effected by them not being the same.

It's the TN's for your chance to hit.

On one weapon you have a laser sight, on the other one you do not.
On one weapon you have a gas vent 3, on the other one you do not.

Under the idea of increasing +50% to the power and increasing the die roll +50% (and increasing the damage rating +1 level as you suggested), you will be rolling one cast of the dice.

One cast of the dice for two weapons that have different TN's to their chance of hit.

That's not going to work, and I can't for-see any system that could be devised to make that function in one roll since the TN to hit will be different for both of them.

Like I said. It's a GREAT idea if you've got two firearms that are set-up the same way. (and potentially if you add that +1 level of increase to the damage)

Ol' Scratch
Nah. If you follow the basic premise of the melee rules, it doesn't really matter what you have in your off-hand. It could be a hold-out or it could be a heavy pistol with EX Explosive rounds; it would still only add 50% of its dice to your other gun. That's it. Nothing else. Just like in melee. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
I can see it in my head... A massive troll with a gyromount and extra (articulated) limbs firing a PAC with AV ammo and a Streetline Special simultaneously.
Ol' Scratch
Hey, it's not my idea. It's one of my running beefs about the melee rules. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Melee is a bit different. Rapier-and-dagger fighting was very common and very effective for a long period in history. Wielding such a "supporting" weapon in your off-hand can demonstrably increase your ass-kicking ability.

Although admittedly the melee-version of my above example would be more like a troll wielding a Dikoted Claymore with brass knuckles on the off-hand.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, but it applies across the board. It doesn't matter if it's a dagger, a brass knuckle, a longsword, a battleaxe, a stun baton, or a ten-foot pole mounted with fifty whirling and dikoted death blades of certain doom... they all provide exactly the same thing to the process: extra dice, and extra dice alone.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 12 2004, 11:01 AM)
a ten-foot pole mounted with fifty whirling and dikoted death blades of certain doom

Certain doom for whom? I bet that thing has a pretty heft self-decapitation rate. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
Only if you score more 1's than successes on your Whirling Death Blade Stick skill (note that this is a very lame and dull reference to Monofilament Whips due to a complete and total lack of wit on my part). Of course that doesn't matter in melee combat using the two-weapon skills; your off-hand weapon don't mean squat. biggrin.gif
Stumps
Yeah, but Doc...

Doesn't it matter in Firearms, unlike melee combat arms, when you're using two weapons with different TN modifying equipment on them and you're trying to put them both into one roll?

I mean, to me...that just doesn't work.
Herald of Verjigorm
How is that worse than a reach 2 off-hand weapon and a reach 0 primary weapon?
Ol' Scratch
Yes, that's the point. smile.gif

The current rules for two firearms take into account the differences between weapons. But if you were to go with a straight-up conversion to the rules for two melee weapons, you lose that characteristic completely. I'm not trying to encourage that change.
Modesitt
If I were going to do anything like, I'd much rather treat the situation as Burst or Full-Auto Fire. Not sure exactly how I'd implement it since I don't mind the current rules all that much, but if I were going for something that fit with the rest of the system, that's where I'd start.

When I threw the idea of mounting two guns on one turret on a drone, my current GMs responce was that as long as they are identical, just treat it as an increase in maximum rate of fire. This was to preserve the fragile remnants of his sanity because GMs get angry and start breaking things when you make them do division.

I can see a very similar thing working out for two guns in normal hands. Maybe change the rules so dual-wielded SA guns allow you to perform a four-round burst, dual-wielded BF guns allow you to perform a 6-round burst.
DrJest
Turning it on its head, then, how would you re-do the 2-melee rules? I agree that melee in Shadowrun is not as well thought-out as it might be; the classic example from my point of view being that there is no advantage to attacking at all (I don't deny for one moment that a skilled combatant can turn an attack around; I've studied enough martial arts that it's practically a given. But by the same token I know that the attacker has the advantage because they're guiding the exchange).

The initial problem I run into is that there are so many combinations for how you use two weapons. I would say that in its simplest form, it breaks down into:

1) Attack with both

2) Attack with primary, defend with secondary

3) Defend with primary, attack with secondary

4) Defend with both (full defence).

I think the canon rules are so simplified because Shadowrun makes no differentiation between attack and defence (it boils down to both parties attacking simultaneously). What might make it easier to redo 2-melee would be to introduce two kind of defence action:

1) Defend (parry, block, deflect, whatever). Against the standard base target of 4, modified as normal, but the defender doesn't damage the attacker if they score more successes.

2) Riposte. Against a base target of 5, modified as normal; this version works like a normal Shadowrun melee defence.

Add in the modifiers for using 2 weapons as affected by the Ambidexterity edge, and allow different options to be used by each hand. So you could attack with one hand and defend with the other if you think your opponent is going to riposte; attack with both if you think he's going to defend. As a defender, you could opt to defend with one hand and riposte with the other.

Thoughts?
Herald of Verjigorm
1) full offense
2&3) regular with different choices of which weapon SR sees as primary
4) full defense

If you allow basic maneuvers/combat options with weapons, that provides all the detail you need for those cases.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012