Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Telescoping Staff
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Most blunt trauma, for example, is nearly always useless against zombies in movies, thus a bat wouldn't help (haven't seen Shaun of the Dead).

Take it you haven't seen Resident Evil then either??
Fortune
QUOTE (tanka)
Zombies can crawl, you know. Best to kill them in one go than not at all.

A single sword thrust or slash (even from the super-uber katana) is no more a guaranteed one-shot kill than one performed with an axe. An axe though, will usually disable each opponent hit well enough to slow them down.

Remember though, that the discussion is solely limited to fighitn against Zombies. Swords are normally best used for body shots (and the occasional arm-amputation) ... which would be less-than-optimal against Zombies.
Arethusa
Agh, tanka, don't take this personally, but almost everything you say about katana makes my brain hurt. Then again, so, so, so much insanity has been thrown back and forth on the subject in this thread and the linked one that I really shouldn't just single out you.

As for axes, a lot of you have it completely backwards. Axes are not slow weapons at all, and, in fact, require extreme agression, speed, and endurance at the cost of defensive capability to use. You don't hit and pull back; this will get you killed, as axes are appallingly useless defensive weapons. You attack and you never stop attacking. Even if it's not a single handed battle axe and you're doing it huskarl style, you still swing that thing pretty continuously. There's a reason axes are so deeply culturally associated with ancient Viking/Nordic tradition.
Kagetenshi
I realize that, but the sheer mass of an axe means it's a slower weapon to swing around.

~J
Ol' Scratch
That depends entirely on the type of axe you're talking about. Hatchets and tomahawks are pretty quick and efficient weapons in and of themselves.
Kagetenshi
I tend to classify those as hatchets and tomahawks rather than, say, axes smile.gif

But that is my own personal definition, I admit. You have a point.

~J
Ol' Scratch
You were pretty much dead-on with your earlier comment, though. If training and talent are equal, any weapon is going to be woefully efficient in the hands of a well-trained combatant. Even cricket bats and LP albums (dammit). Some weapons are just easier to learn and to use than others, hence axes being a better choice for a lot of people compared to katana (or a gun vs. a bow).
Arethusa
In regard specifically to axes, they are actually quite a bit smaller and lighter than popularly imagined; rotational inertia's an issue, yes, but they can be lighter than a comparably sized longsword, and skilled use of one (assuming comparison to theoretically equal skill with a traditional European style longsword) is going to involve more movement— and with reason: the more you move and the more you attack, the more you compensate for your utter lack of defensive capacity. If your stamina runs out before your opponent's, you are screwed.

[edit]

To clarify, not taking issue with skill being, most often, the ultimate determinant. That is more or less a given.
Siege
As for an axe being a slow weapon - it really depends on the user.

A strong enough man could employ a sledge hammer with the same speed another man might use a claw hammer.

The same applies to axes - if you aren't strong enough to swing one with any particular degree of speed, you probably need to think about a smaller weapon choice.

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Arethusa)
To clarify, not taking issue with skill being, most often, the ultimate determinant. That is more or less a given.

This also goes for me. Skill is the most important aspect of any melee combat. smile.gif

I just hate it when people under-rate axes. The Norse (among others) chose to use them for a reason ... even long after the introduction of the sword into their culture.

All weapons have their uses, and some weapons are good at more than one task. My point before was that, against Zombies to which body hits would be less effective, axes would be a very useful weapon for disabling/immobilizing/or otherwise slowing them down ... and it'd be not-too-shabby in the outright killing department either. wink.gif
Arethusa
Pft. Give me a katana. It can cut through time.
Ol' Scratch
Only if you get a real one that's been folded 100,00,000 times so that it's mono-molecular.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Pft. Give me a katana. It can cut through time.

What a very interesting idea. Mix with a bit of the Butterfly Effect, some Donny Darko and SHAZAM! We could save Bambie's mother.
Kyuhan
frown.gif We could? *sniffle*
Kanada Ten
Yes! And the map to find the iKatana is on the back of Dunkelzahn's Will! Guarded by a horde of zombi!
Ol' Scratch
Did you seriously just use "zombi" as the plural of zombie?
Herald of Verjigorm
Honestly, I don't want any weapon based on the marketing scheme of the iMac.
Kanada Ten
Did you seriously just use "zombi" as the plural of zombie?

Not seriously, no.

iKatana

Say it fast; it sounds sooo cool. Almost Zen.
Edward
In general axe combat you shouldn’t be just hacking. You take a swink and take of a head pull it back hooking another’s legs tripping it over swing the back of the blade into another’s chin as you ready for the next chop. With this type of action your probably looking at a slower kill rate than a sword but moor of the zombies near you will be of balance.

For most people (myself included) this is a les intuitive type of combat than connect the sharp edge with the enemies flesh as hard and often as possible. My personal preference would be a moderate weight sword for welding in 2 hands or a pare of light axes (but I don’t think I could take out zombies with those

I would question the ability of a katana witch is moderately light for its length to reliably sever the head of a zombie in the hands of a less than skilled individual. Even with the advantage of immobile opponent and heavy weapon the headsman’s axe was not always a single slash decapitation.

Where is Doctor Funkenstein that he wants to use a cricket bat? I have never met a American that was into cricket. As an Australian I will have to vote cricket bat as being a valuable weapon.

Edward
Arethusa
QUOTE (Edward)
Where is Doctor Funkenstein that he wants to use a cricket bat? I have never met a American that was into cricket. As an Australian I will have to vote cricket bat as being a valuable weapon.

It's on random.
DrJest
It's not an area I'm personally well-trained in, but having seen colleagues working out with axes (typically one-handed war axes paired with shields) I've come to realise that there's a lot more subtlety and speed to axe combat than I had once believed. Mind you, I've had my eyes opened a lot to mediaeval Western melee combat; one of the lads on the SLA Industries list teaches it, and the number of misconceptions we have on the subject are startling, often enhanced by the pop-martial arts movies.

EG: Katanas are better constructed than longswords? 90% of them were actually of weaker construction, because the fighting styles didn't emphasise blocking and parrying. Only the very best swords were of the quality we tend to ascribe to the weapon in general. On the flip side, a longsword was a real bastard to try and break - typically forged from 3 steel rods braided together and beaten out.

Western Europe had no unarmed martial arts? Wrong again. It seems we had some quite advanced unarmed techniques, but they, like the armed combat techniques, fell by the wayside because we adopted firearms for war long before the Orientals did.

The other classic, incidentally, was using a greatsword in a confined space. No problem, says the Dodd. Apparently there's a style called half-sword or something like that; one hand on the hilt, one halfway down the blade, you use it a lot like a staff.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Honestly, I don't want any weapon based on the marketing scheme of the iMac.

Hey man, a katana with a G5 processor? Sign me up.

And yes, that's what the unbladed part partway up the blade was for.

~J
lorthazar
Actually in a sword versus axe fight my money is not the the guy with the axe. Several reasons to this one.

A: Seeing as how I have personally snapped 1 inch steel rods with my axe I imagine I could snap a sowrd being used to parry quite well

B. If armor is involved the sword is at a disadvantage. Plate armor was designed to stop the aword, meanwhile axes and maces deliver enough power to a small area to damage the armor and the person underneath.

C: Lastly say sword or katana and people cringe a little. Say battle axe and they cringe a lot.
Tanka
If the person is blocking the axe with their sword, they deserve to get it broken.

Personally, I'm a fan of having steel bars under bracers, blocking with that arm. It stops the axe cold (shatters your arm though) and the guy wielding the axe tends to be a bit, well, surprised. Take the advantage and kill the guy with the sword.

Again, it all comes down to skill. I'm more versed with a katana than any other weapon, so I prefer it.

Against armor, yes, slashing weapons tend to suck. If you pit a knight against a samurai, chances are good the knight will win because he has armor. If the samurai can get a good shot in between the armor, then he can win. Outside of that, he really has no chance, as katana weren't designed for stabbing.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka)
If you pit a knight against a samurai

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

~J
Tanka
...Dare I ask?
DrJest
It's the old, old argument that has cropped up a googleplex and one times in fantasy arguments, especially among barely literate gaming geeks.

In summary:

"The samurai would win because of his l337 martial arts skills - sorry, ski11z - and uber katana!"
"The knight would win because of his uber armour and rock hard sword!"

In short, long-time roleplayers practically pull their hair out when the subject comes up smile.gif
Tanka
Except I read a decent article as to why... One of the Dungeon (yes, yes, D&D magazine) mags that was put out recently, I believe.
Kagetenshi
The answer is the Samurai would win because the Knight would sink on his way to Japan from all the heavy armor. Samurai never leave Japan unless they’re going to the US, in which case they carry guitars.

~J
Stumps
C: Lastly say sword or katana and people cringe a little. Say battle axe and they cringe a lot.

That is of course unless they're folks like me.
I cringe at the name of Katana simply because I've seen what a good (not cheap store-hang-on-your-wall-to-impress-your-friends) katana can do.
An axe is VERY powerful, yes.

But a katana can slice clean through the human body.
Screw that, it can slice clean through a dummy in the shape of a human body made entirely out of bamboo.
And that, my friend, is no easy task. It tends to be a hell of a lot more thick than a human body.

Now, do my SR characters use them?
hell no.
They're too overdone in SR.
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The answer is the Samurai would win because the Knight would sink on his way to Japan from all the heavy armor. Samurai never leave Japan unless they’re going to the US, in which case they carry guitars.

~J

Dude, no, that's ninja that carry guitars.

Sheesh, common knowledge!
DrJest
But a katana can slice clean through the human body.
Screw that, it can slice clean through a dummy in the shape of a human body made entirely out of bamboo.
And that, my friend, is no easy task. It tends to be a hell of a lot more thick than a human body.

At the risk of opening that can of worms again, the very best katanas can do that. But the very best longswords can as well. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

And my answer to the age-old question is, whichever one rolls higher nyahnyah.gif
Critias
So will most guns. It's why armies carry them now.
Edward
The uselessness of the katana against armour is probably a myth. Samury warriors did were farley heavy armour. Of cause it is very different in style so they would need to learn the weak points in western armour while western armour defeating techniques where more portable, revolving around hitting it very hard at a joint.

One other point. I would much rather survive an attack using a katana than an axe. Axe wounds tend to be very messy and not heal well involving shattered bones and such. A good katana well welded and I will have a nice clean slash that a competent surgeon will have a far easier time putting back to rights. Not saying I would like it but I don’t want to have crushed bones to deal with as well.

Edward
Tanka
Samurai armor wasn't made of metal in plates. It was hard leather (sometimes) over bamboo shafts. Bamboo is hard to cut through, but metal is harder.
Lindt
Axe, katana, what ever. Chain saw. I dont have to swing.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 11 2004, 12:06 PM)

Ninja carry electric keyboards. Samurai carry guitars.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

So they do carry an axe afterall. Who woulda thunk it.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Man, you fucking rock.

QUOTE (DrJest)
At the risk of opening that can of worms again, the very best katanas can do that. But the very best longswords can as well. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The average quality of a true katana is still staggeringly better than the average quality of a long sword, and it is simply not true that the best long sword can equal the performance of the best katana against a soft target. The metalurgy behind a European longsword quite simply will not support it, and the Europeans Were Underrated And Just As Good As The Japanese kneejerck internet reaction to katanaphilia is understandable, but just as wrong.

QUOTE (tanka)
Samurai armor wasn't made of metal in plates. It was hard leather (sometimes) over bamboo shafts. Bamboo is hard to cut through, but metal is harder.

Metal was used more than you think. Less than in European armor, but it was not al leather and bamboo.
Lantzer
QUOTE (DrJest)
In short, long-time roleplayers practically pull their hair out when the subject comes up smile.gif

I just find them funny.
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 11 2004, 12:06 PM)

~J
Kagetenshi
You have been taken in by their cunning once more. Those are Ninja disguised as Samurai disguised as Ninja, and those are really keyboards. You can tell, because only a Samurai would have been so careless as to carry a guitar as a Ninja.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Arethusa)
The average quality of a true katana is still staggeringly better than the average quality of a long sword, and it is simply not true that the best long sword can equal the performance of the best katana against a soft target. The metalurgy behind a European longsword quite simply will not support it, and the Europeans Were Underrated And Just As Good As The Japanese kneejerck internet reaction to katanaphilia is understandable, but just as wrong.

The quality of the blade has nothing to do with it. (and there's nothing knee-jerk about pointing out that the Europeans had better steel and didn't have to try as hard to make a useable sword)

The katana's famous "soft target" performance is due to the way the shape of the cross-section of the blade is optimized for slicing instead of chopping - which incidentally also makes it inherently more susceptible to chipping and fracturing. No amount of folding is going to save you from the laws of physics.

Ol' Scratch
Unless it was done in Japan. Japan's magical, dontcha know?
Mercer
Unless you are talking about the katanas the Hard Master and the Soft Master made for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow before Zartan killed the Hard Master. Because those swords were the shizznit.
easytohate
http://www.thearma.org/essays/katanavs.htm

http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

Here are the documents that appeared in dragon, from the writer's website. He's a true scholar of the form and probably knows more about what he's talking about then any one of us here at the boards.
Arethusa
I'm surprised. Those are actually remarkably informed and intelligent.
Kagetenshi
Indeed.

What instrument did the Knight wield?

~J
Ol' Scratch
Bongo drums.
DrJest
Depends on the era, of course. By the 15th century he had the complete drum kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012