Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon Focus Cyber Spurs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ol' Scratch
That's why you initiate a couple of times. Pick up some generic metamagic techniques while you're at it; Psychometry and Sensing are always fun.
hyzmarca
Focus addiction shouldn't be a problem at all, so long as the total force of the cyberspurs in 2 or less. A player with Astral Sight surge can't, by cannon, become a magician or adept so he'd have no use for the vast majority of foci.
lorthazar
Oh no I can see it now, Ithe Order of the the Sight an initiation group made completely of peoplae with Aura Sight edges. The only thing their magic would let them do is pierce aura's well and make Foci. Oh and quite a few of the more innocous metamagics. Still could be a pain in my keister.
Edward
Cyber spurs as weapon focuses, shore but you might want to charge a bit more to reflect the increased difficulty of making them.

On a character with the surge astral sight I don’t know. If he could bond a weapon focus then yes but I didn’t think they could. If so he could only have force 1 before risking focus addiction and burning out at the first failure. I was fairly shore the astral sight surge didn’t make you magical enough to initiate

If he had already lost the essence when he was affected by surg he would still have magic 1. the way it would have to work is I am a samy with cyber spurs, I become magical, I replace the blades on my spurs with weapon foci.

Edward
Conskill
By the rules it's certainly allowed, but I'd think long and hard before doing it to one of my characters, for the same reason I'm not really hot on arm or head-mounted cyberdecks.

The inaccessability of your weapon focus will in no way subtract from the Evil Villians' need to remove it from you if you're captured. Chop chop.
Wireknight
I'd say that you need to be an actual fully Awakened individual(i.e. adept, aspected magician, full magician) in order to bond foci. As it is, the Astral Sight SURGE trait is strongly worded to suggest that it provides only the bare minimum of magical power needed to perform astral perception. If it permitted initiation, metamagic-learning, the bonding of weapon foci, etc, as well, I would think that the cost would be higher.

Maybe a new SURGE trait, that permits more flexible and advanced degrees of limited magical ability manifestation, would be a good fix for this.

Insofar as cyberspurs as weapon foci go, why not? I think it's actually mentioned as a possibility in canon material. You'll take a lot of hits as far as ease of creation goes, due to the advanced composition of cyberspurs, and upgrades(as well as the ramifications of stress and failure) become much more complicated.

Add the fact that they're never really concealed, since the foci are visible even when the blades themselves are retracted into the forearms, and you have a powerful weapon that is impractical for a number of purposes that non-enchanted cyberspurs excel at. Until you get sufficient Masking to hide them, anyone with astral perception is going to see them almost immediately.

Likewise, if your GM uses tactical astral combat in a bastardly manner, you could power up your spurs to kill a mage only to have the enchantment on them broken(and possibly the spurs themselves destroyed in the process) by a spirit or two the magician had hanging around in the astral.
ES_Riddle
Focus addiction only kicks in if you exceed twice your magic rating. This sam could have either a single force 2 focus or 2 force 1 foci without taking the focus addiction risk. IIRC, there is a sentence in MitS that explicitly says that cyber implant foci must be enchanted before they are installed. That would seem to indicate that spurs are okay if my memory is working.
Wireknight
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
Focus addiction only kicks in if you exceed twice your magic rating. This sam could have either a single force 2 focus or 2 force 1 foci without taking the focus addiction risk. IIRC, there is a sentence in MitS that explicitly says that cyber implant foci must be enchanted before they are installed. That would seem to indicate that spurs are okay if my memory is working.

Above and beyond that, I don't believe that weapon foci count toward your totals, for purposes of focus addiction.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Above and beyond that, I don't believe that weapon foci count toward your totals, for purposes of focus addiction.

Weapon foci absolutely do count. The Focus Addiction rules do not make any distinction between types of foci.
Wireknight
Thematically, I've always thought that focus addiction was based upon the growing reliance upon foci to boost one's magical powers. While I can understand a weapon focus being of benefit to the magical capabilities of adepts, how does a weapon focus factor into the magic used by other types of Awakened characters?
Austere Emancipator
It allows them to kick more ass in melee, especially in the astral?
Edward
QUOTE (Conskill)
By the rules it's certainly allowed, but I'd think long and hard before doing it to one of my characters, for the same reason I'm not really hot on arm or head-mounted cyberdecks.

The inaccessability of your weapon focus will in no way subtract from the Evil Villians' need to remove it from you if you're captured. Chop chop.

A modest weapon focus is not going to be a problem getting ripped out of your arm. At least no more so than a non magic cyber weapon. And all the same less brutal methods of deactivation still work.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Wireknight)
I'd say that you need to be an actual fully Awakened individual(i.e. adept, aspected magician, full magician) in order to bond foci. As it is, the Astral Sight SURGE trait is strongly worded to suggest that it provides only the bare minimum of magical power needed to perform astral perception. If it permitted initiation, metamagic-learning, the bonding of weapon foci, etc, as well, I would think that the cost would be higher.

Maybe a new SURGE trait, that permits more flexible and advanced degrees of limited magical ability manifestation, would be a good fix for this.

You can say that all you like, but it's just you saying that.

The only thing a bonding ritual requires is one hour of your time, and a focus can be bound by anyone who qualifies to use it. Weapon Foci specifically mention that any Awakened character can bond with one. Astral Sight also specifically mentions that anyone with that positive trait undergoes a limited Awakening. Considering they can also learn and use Enchanting, which requires the ability to bond with foci even if just for the first time, then... well... your preference doesn't have much backing it up beyond that personal preference.

Want an example of a focus you can bond to without even being Awakened? Charms.

Personally, I've played a paranormal hunter with this trait who had joined an initiatory group of other hunters in Quebec. He ended up investing time and karma into learning Psychometry and Divination, granting him the ability to track down his quarry that much more efficiently. He was a great character overall, and I don't know a single rational person who would have considered him even remotely broken or abusive... especially since his initiation rituals had the exact same requirement as any other initiation, but only a fraction of the benefits were gained.
Edward
Where are these charms detailed?

Edward
Tanka
SOTA64.
Edward
Got to get that book.

Edward
Cynic project
And for the truely silly weapon foci.. Oral Slasher, laser......
Cable
QUOTE (lorthazar)
I already made my rulling. (No, I won't tell you.) But I am interested in everyones opinion.

Now that you've gotten a little feedback on the spurs and the X-Men... You've got to tell us your ruling!
lorthazar
Okay my ruling was:

Yes, he can get them, but he has to enhant them himself from hand made telesma. Since the character has Skill wires we can attempt to locate the chips for B/R Edged Weapon, and B/R Biotech/Cybertechnology. he also had to decide if they would be considered one Focus or two Foci. The advantages being if they were one Focus they would be a little harder to break, but with two foci he'd have a spare. Lastly they could be dikoted if he could figure out a way (in character) to make it part of a ritual and double the karma costs of bonding,

As for focus addiction I have decided weapon Foci have no effect. However you cannot weild more than double your magic rating in weapon foci at a time. If you pick up a level 6 focus and only have magic 2, even after you bond it the weapon will only work at level 4.

Edward
Not that I can see a reason to separate weapon foci from other foci but why not allow a magic 2 character to use a weapon focus 6 but risk focus addiction.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
So do you require everyone to forge and enchant their own weapon foci? I don't see much difference between enchanting a Retractable Spur over a Vibro Knife or Telescoping Staff. All three are Highly Processed objects, and that only affects the Enchanting Test itself, not the amount of Karma required.
KarmaInferno
Now there's a question. If you went and hand-forged the blade to specifications the old fashioned way with hammer, furnace, and tongs, from virgin telesma, would it still be considered highly processed?

This reminds me of a runner who asked if he could spend his "offscreen" time constructing a car that way. He wanted to make it a homunculous body for an ally spirit. I let him because I figured it would take years and wouldn't affect the day-to-day game.

The bugger actually tracked the construction days and resources on his own based on the test results we did. Two years real-time. Finished it, summoned the spirit, bonded it.

Of course, the gaming group broke up a month later due most of us graduating from college and moving away.

smile.gif

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
If you went and hand-forged the blade to specifications the old fashioned way with hammer, furnace, and tongs, from virgin telesma, would it still be considered highly processed?

Absolutely. There will still be some sort of electric motor or similar system for the retraction, and the blades and the structure will be made of very complex compound materials. Unless of course you get cold iron cyberspurs...

Also note that in order to get the Virgin Telesma bonus, you have to personally go and look for the iron, the nickel, the cobalt, the tungsten, the oil, then personally refine all those to useful materials by hand, and then manufacture the cyberspurs from those materials by hand. I just don't see that happening... Just getting the Hand Made Telesma TN modifier will take quite a lot of work, considering that it's just a -1 TN.
Ol' Scratch
Actually, I'd say that's more like requiring that you have to enchant the sheath of the weapon, too. When it comes down to it, spurs are little more than knives that you can jerk back into your flesh. The mechanisms used for the extension/retraction and housing of them is the only complicated part... the blades themselves are no more complex than any other blades.
Austere Emancipator
Okay, I can see that. The retraction system probably shouldn't count against the OR for enchanting the spurs into a weapon focus. The supporting structures should, however -- just like the handle and pommel on a sword do. And there will be plenty of complex compound metals in the blades themselves, plus plenty of complex plastics in the structure.
KarmaInferno
Hm. I don't see that so much.

Why not forge the blades themselves, nothing else, just in the exact shape the old manufactured blades were, complete with attachment holes and everything. Just the metal blade and nothing else. Heck, do it the hard way with non-powered hand tools.

Then you enchant it by itself normally.

Then you go and attach all the mechanical bits that make it a cyberspur. As long as they're not directly affecting the structure of the enchanted blade in any way, they shouldn't be a problem.

Or are you saying that if you stuck a piece of tape or clamped a ring to a katana weapon focus it'd stop working?

That's all the uber-razors are ... replacement blades. I see no reason for enchanting the entire retracting mechanism, of even the clamps that attach the blades to said mechanism. The blades themselves would fall under the OR of their composition. Dikoted polycarbonite unobtainium blades would be harder to enchant than the more mundane choice.
Austere Emancipator
Well, like I said, I agree that it would actually be pretty dumb for the retraction/extension system to count, since it doesn't really have anything to do with how the spurs work in combat. The way the blades are attached to your body does matter, though.

To say that enchanting a replacement blade and then attaching it to a human body would allow you to use that blade as a Weapon Focus Cyberspur is like saying that you could enchant a dagger-blade as a Weapon Focus and then weld it into a long shaft and it would work as a Weapon Focus Spear. I would absolutely not allow that in my games.

Also note that "Alloys" count as OR 8/Manufactured High-Tech Objects and Materials. Steels are alloys. Weapon-grade steels are a heck of a lot more complex, more high-tech, and have seen a lot more manufacturing than the examples of OR 5/Manufactured Low-Tech Objects (leather & brick, for example). You could use low-tech materials (like the cold iron I mentioned), but that should absolutely get you some penalties compared to the high-tech Cyberspurs.
Fortune
There are cyber upgrades to Razors (and I believe Spurs) in canon that are solely based on replacing a better blade in the mechanism. Why could this 'better blade' not be enchanted like any normal weapon before being attached (which, IIRC, does not even require major surgery)?

[edit] As for actual attachment, Essence has been paid for the whole mechanism, so it is already connected mystically to the character's aura.

I never made any specific claims as to OR. The blades could be constructed from any number of alloys, with a variable amount of orichalcum included to help in enchanting, but so can any melee weapon. That isn't the point. There is no reason to restrict cyber-implant weapons more than any other Melee type in regards to being considered Foci.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fortune)
Why could this 'better blade' not be enchanted like any normal weapon before being attached (which, IIRC, does not even require major surgery)?

For the exact same reason that I wouldn't allow someone to buy a Weapon Focus dagger and attach the blade to a shaft and use it as a Weapon Focus Polearm. The blade-part of cyberspurs isn't the only meaningful part for the use of the cyberspurs as a weapon -- how it is wielded (or, because it's a cyberimplant weapon, how it's attached to you) is also very important. In my games, I believe the enchanting has to address that as well.

QUOTE (Fortune)
There is no reason to restrict cyber-implant weapons more than any other Melee type in regards to being considered Foci.

And I'm not imposing any more restrictions on cyberimplant weapons than any other melee weapons. I require the whole of any melee weapon (hafts, handles and all) to be enchanted, I'd give a similar penalty to the Damage Code of a cold iron sword as to cold iron cyberspurs, etc.
Fortune
I had a big reply ... but it died. frown.gif

I don't know where you get tthat I have a problem with a high OR. I don't ... there are always ways to bring down the Enchantment TN.

In the end, my argument is that the entire mechanism (blades and all) is already paid for with Essence. In the long run though, it makes no difference to the TN if you enchant the blades or the whole thing. In my opinion though, it's like saying that one would have to enchant his entire arm if he had a Cyberarm with Spurs implanted.
Ol' Scratch
I just don't get the house ruling to begin with. It always comes across odd when a GM comes up with contorted rules and reasoning to discourage something he doesn't like. I'd rather a GM simply tell me he doesn't like the idea behind it and ask me to come up with something more appropriate in his take of the setting.

As it stands, the house rules just don't make a lot of sense. Compared to a lot of weapons, Spurs are pretty simple and straight-forward weapons. The weirdness with increased Karma and having to forge and enchant them yourself is just plain weird.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't know where you get tthat I have a problem with a high OR.

Those bits were mostly referring to KarmaInferno's question about whether it would be considered Highly Processed even if it were a Virgin Telesma. That, and I somehow got the feeling from your reply as well that you didn't completely agree that the high OR should stay.

QUOTE (Fortune)
In the end, my argument is that the entire mechanism (blades and all) is already paid for with Essence.

I just don't see why that would make a difference to the functioning of a weapon focus. Especially when the whole thing is enchanted before the Essence is paid, and the blades themselves seem to cost Essence too.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Nov 11 2004, 09:28 PM)
I wouldn't allow someone to buy a Weapon Focus dagger and attach the blade to a shaft and use it as a Weapon Focus Polearm. The blade-part of cyberspurs isn't the only meaningful part for the use of the cyberspurs as a weapon -- how it is wielded (or, because it's a cyberimplant weapon, how it's attached to you) is also very important. In my games, I believe the enchanting has to address that as well.

Well, the obvious difference there is that the polearm idea has the foci well out of the reach of the user, making it just a chunk of metal.

The cyberspur is arguably much more in "contact" with the wielder. I tend to think of the stuff "holding" onto the blade as part of the cybermechanism, paid for in essence and a "part" of the user's aura. Not much different than someone "holding" onto a normal knife in their hand.

But your arguement certainly has merit.

I just don't see why that would make a difference to the functioning of a weapon focus. Especially when the whole thing is enchanted before the Essence is paid, and the blades themselves seem to cost Essence too.

The ability to swap in and out blades for the hand razors makes this a somewhat nebulous issue. What is eating up the essence? The implant as a whole? Each component? If it's each component then if I shave off some material, drill holes to remove mass and weight, will it reduce essence cost? Kinda iffy.

As for your comment on alloys and highly processed materials, wouldn't that make nearly ALL weapon foci "highly processed"? Aside from say purely wooden weapons like clubs and staves, it's a fair assumption that almost all metal components of weapon foci will be some alloy or another, not straight iron.

Hmm. Orichalcum spurs? grinbig.gif

hmm orichalcum weapon focus 6 spurs on an adept with IA cyber implant combat and an appropriate martial art to give him Close compbat with spurs add ambidex 8 and muscle aug
the ork from hell cyber.gif
toturi
Weapon foci all have orichalcum, in case anyone forgot.
lorthazar
Well I have always envisioned the blade as seperate piece that can be removed in case of broken spurs. besides why use a motor when myomer works so much better.

the reason for my convulted ruling was that he is barely magical.
Edward
Would you make him pay more for a non cyber weapon focus because he is barley magical?

Personally if I was going to do it I would use the compressed fibre composite blades with the di-coat option. True its OR 10 and no question about it but I just need to find a good tails monger to make it for me it will take the full month. 2 successes would be to much to ask.

I would not consider the dagger weapon focus pound to a stave to be a pole arm weapon focus because it’s a different type of weapon. What do you think of these scenarios.

1 I have had this katana weapon focus for several years and the binding on the grip is warn. I replace it.

2 My combat knife weapon focus falls 3 storeys, I retrieve it but the plastic grip is shattered. I replace the grip with a new one.

3 To celebrate my kills I tie a not of cloth to my combat axe weapon focus from everybody I kill with it.

4 The above combat axe had 5 such strips of cloth when I enchanted it. In the corse of combat they were out and fall off.

5 In a heated exchange my combat axe weapon focus is badly chipped. I grind the chip out restoring a sharp edge. What if I weld appropriate material into the chip to restore it to its original form.

6 The di-coat on my katana weapon focus wears out. I strip of the grip and handle and send it to be recoated and reassemble it.

7 While my katana weapon focus is being receiving its new coat of diamond I loos the original binding (the house it was in blew up say) I obtain a new handle for it.

8 In a heated exchange an opponent severs the haft on my combat axe. I affix a new handle.

9 My long spear haft breaks about 2 feet off. Rather than fixing it I decide to modify it to be a short spear

10 The binding that holds the spear head to the haft on my weapon focus wears out. I retrieve the haft and head and rebind them

11 My spear weapon focus is left in a building that burns down the haft is completely consumed but after the fire burns out I retrieve the head undamaged.

12Dose it mater wether the spear was di-coated tungsten with a plassteel shaft or stone and wood virgin telesma.

13 There was a bo staff beside the spear. It was completely consumed. That one is gone.

Edward
Conskill
I would not consider the dagger weapon focus pound to a stave to be a pole arm weapon focus because it’s a different type of weapon. What do you think of these scenarios.

To bastardize a concept from ED, I think of foci in terms of a pattern of energy laid into a physical object. The magical aspect of a focus becomes innert when the form of the item no longer coincides with the pattern in some sort of radical fashion. This is supported by MITS, where it states that an enchanting formula is always for a specific material basis. A formula for a weapon focus (katana) will only work on katanas.

To that end...

1, 2, 5, 8, 10 - If you are restoring the item to a condition closer to its original form, you suffer no penalty.

3, 4 - I would not consider something like tied cloth which can fall off in combat to be a part of the item.

6, 7 - No comment. It's completely my own bias, but thinking about a diakoted weapon focus causes me to twitch.

9 - The form of the focus is gone, the magic goes inert. Depending on my whim, it's either destroyed or simply inactive until the character restores the object to its original form.

11 - Similiar to 9. Either the focus is destroyed or inactive until it's restored. I'd lean towards destroyed in this case.

12 - The "grade" of material (virgin telesma, manufactored, etc) doesn't matter, but the actual material does. A wooden stave focus is a wooden stave focus, and can not be replaced with tungsten without causing the magic to go.

13 - Gone is gone.
toturi
9 and 11) They are destroyed. But I'd allow a discount in bonding karma. In 9) you can straight away rebond the spear as a weapon focus and rebond it normally(as opposed to first bonding). Same for 11) after you attach a new shaft, you may bond as normal.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
As for your comment on alloys and highly processed materials, wouldn't that make nearly ALL weapon foci "highly processed"? Aside from say purely wooden weapons like clubs and staves, it's a fair assumption that almost all metal components of weapon foci will be some alloy or another, not straight iron.

Yes, yes it pretty much does. Certainly all useful bladed weapons are, as are most purpose-built clubs, telescopic staves, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012