Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ruthenium
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gilthanis
QUOTE (DarkShade)
you betcha.. the whole idea of completely recording every photon that falls on you then recreating the image electronically from every possible viewing angle & then resending this info on the other side of the suit without any noticeable jitter and more than perfect picture quality sending once again from every possible viewing angle just boggles the mind... oh and with no noticeable processor or power source even!, compensating for movements and even for creases in the suit!
.. it just doesnt rhime with other sr tech levels..

any case, back to the point of the previous few posts, about `hidden in plain sight`being harder to SPOT than NOT VISIBLE AT ALL... good try but no cigar. whether you can hear the target or not is not relevant here, as spotting a DEAD <and thus, rather silent> elf in complete darkness is still by the book easier than spotting a tap dancing ruthenium coated troll.... who is singing My Way..
imho ruthenium needs some revising..or more details..
DS

So you are saying that only needing one success on an open test is far less balanced then say the cheeseyness of a force one improved invisibility spell with oh say 9+ successes (yes this happens because sorc. 6 + spell pool 6 and even some mages use home ground to be that sneaky in advance not to mention karma for rerolls. This is simple to do.)
Stumps
For Darkshade and everyone here.
Movies of present day "Ruth-suit" called Optical Camo.
The PDF explaining the system

It's not a Ruth-suit yet. But it's the beginning of one.
BitBasher
And if anyone read the PDF they would know that it doesn't actually work, it's a trick they cannot duplicate at all without completely cheating. It requires a fixed position camera behind the user and the user must stand in one specific spot. Additionally, the viewer must be standing in one specific place looking at the item to be stealthed.

It's the equivalent of a green screen and takes about as much work.
lorthazar
But, give them ten years and you'll be able to plaster it on the stealth bomber with the sensors and fly it top speed over a jungle and no satellite will see it. that is how the tech curve works.
BitBasher
QUOTE (lorthazar)
But, give them ten years and you'll be able to plaster it on the stealth bomber with the sensors and fly it top speed over a jungle and no satellite will see it. that is how the tech curve works.

Not when the tech curve hasn't started yet. Read the PDF, this tech does not work at all as presented. It's very deceptive.
Ol' Scratch
It does work as presented -- optical camouflage that takes an image from one side and paints it on the other side of the camo. It doesn't work as ideally as they would like, however. Big difference between the two.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (lorthazar)

Something I forsee as happening sooner than the bomber is for one of the strykers (or later derivatives) that's already harder to detect by noise being outfitted with this technology once it is better developed.

The Iraqis are nicknaming the soldiers that ride them as Ghost soldiers (or something like that) and there are stories of where they are caught with their pants down because they didn't hear the Stryker moving in on them as opposed to the normal tread tanks.

A fast, rather quiet tank that's hard to see because of the optical camo... Very scary. And the ambushes that it can set up would be interesting.
Backgammon
Ghost in the Shell.
BitBasher
Fuchikomas/Tachikomas Rule!
Kagetenshi
Yes, yes they do.

Just don't give them natural oil before a mission, no matter how much they beg.

~J
PBTHHHHT
Man, I love those little guys. The part that sticks to my mind was the one that said 'wow' or was it 'whoa' when the tank passed them on the highway (episode 2?).

[ Spoiler ]
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Yes, yes they do.

Just don't give them natural oil before a mission, no matter how much they beg.

~J

Yeah, genetic memory is a funny thing! I think that's really, really neat though. Bad Batou!

And I don't think that leash was going to do a whole lot of good!

Man, I love those little guys. The part that sticks to my mind was the one that said 'wow' or was it 'whoa' when the tank passed them on the highway (episode 2?).
Yeah, and they all thought the one was lucky for getting shot to pieces because now he was going to get a rebuild and THEY wanted a rebuild!
Kagetenshi
Stickers!

And at least in subtitles, I believe it was a structural analysis.

~J
Garland
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Yeah, and they all thought the one was lucky for getting shot to pieces because now he was going to get a rebuild and THEY wanted a rebuild!

That's the problem with things that don't feel pain.
Shockwave_IIc
Just finnished a re-read of the Graphic.

Still laugh when one of themtries to rally the others for a revolution to get the humans to be their slaves and perform mantiance no them. Till another pipes ups and says "But they do that anyway!"

LMAO biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Or in the Graphic when one manages to hook up to one...
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (DarkShade @ Dec 1 2004, 11:58 AM)
also something I am not clear about, how do you SEE while wearing such a seamless suit? your eyes obviously dont show & there are no gaps so the system can pick up all the light that falls onto you..

DS

Take a look at the picture on page 103 of M&M for an idea about what they do with your eyes. They aren't that noticable if you're being sneaky.

For higher rating suits, I think Botch's idea about ruthie shades with ruthies on the inside is exactly what they should do, though it would screw over mages.

For combating ruthies, supressive fire by the guard using a full-auto weapon filled with paint rounds is not a bad idea.
Stumps
Ruth-shades are not a difficult thought to follow for the answer to eye cover.

Look at the movie of the Tokyo University guy playing with the ball.
Notice that when it passes in front of his face you don't see him at all. You see the shelf behind him.
Then take a look at the "mirror" movie.

Like these, a pair of shades can follow the same concept realtively easily by simply having the material finely laced over them in their manufactoring.
Micro-cameras can be installed above each lense in the lense frame.
16'' Wires, that run from the ear-frames of the shades, can link it into the main suits system and still allow you to see.

Another neat trick?
Full masking, and use a smartlink system as a video-camera that is jacked into your head. (NOTE: not all GM's even remotely see this as possible...just the one I had.)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012