Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisible to Cameras
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
This has probably come up before and is fairly obvious to most people, but I don't usually deal with magicians so I just wanted to check. If you cast Invisibility on yourself at Force 1 you'd be invisible to all visual based mechanical or electronic devices, but people would only have to roll one success at a Willpower 2 test to see you and not notice the spell?
Catsnightmare
No, they would have to cast Improved Invisibility to be unseen by cameras and a person roll more successes at TN2 than the spellcaster got on their sorcorey test for the improved invisibility spell.
Fortune
Invisibility, being Mana-based, has absolutely no effect on cameras and the like. The Physical spell Improved Invisibility is needed to affect tech.
FrostyNSO
I think he/she may be asking if a force 1 invisability (improved, of course!) would be enough to fool a camera?

It would if the camera isn't allowed to resist the spell?

Does the camera get to make a check using it's device rating?
Fortune
No, objects never get a resistance roll against spells.

There is some debate (in the case of Illusion spells) about whether the Force of the spell must be equal or greater than one half of the OR of the object though.
Modesitt
The passage you're looking for is on page 192, right column.

QUOTE (The Holiest of All Holy Books)
The Force of a spell must be equal or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

So no. A force 1 improved invisibility would not work on a camera. A camera would have an object resistance of 8 or 11, depending on whether your GM thinks a camera is a computer or not. Your spell would need to be force 4 or 5.
Fortune
I know that passage is there, and have argued about it before. This does not seem to be an official rule in regards to Illusion Spells as far as the official SRM campaign is concerned, which is why I stated that there is some debate over the matter.

Unfortunately, after 20 minutes of looking (the Search function doesn't work for me at all), I can't find the thread where bitrunner discusses it.
Fortune
As a note, I was under the impression that ORs only went as high as 10.
Modesitt
Upon re-reading - Yeah. Chart only specifies up to 10, then just leaves it open after that.

This is what you're looking for.

He seems to freely mix the concepts of the Force necessary to affect a given OR and target numbers. I might do a sentence-by-sentence analysis of the two paragraphs in question sometime. I'm personally inclined to just chalk it up to sloppy editing. I think sentence three supposed to go "..against inanimate objects is USUALLY based...". The first word of the next paragraph should be changed to 'Some' to avoid confusion. Actually, it'd be best if everything related to Force was put in the section on ... FORCE! You know, where this would logically be, not nestled in among stuff about target numbers.

One of these days, I'm going to make a list of all the editing changes I'd make to the SR books if I could. Not rules I don't like, just a word here and there to clarify things, move things around, that sort of thing.
Fortune
That's the one, thanks. (I hate that I can't use the Search feature!!!)

It would make sense to have a blanket statement covering the relationship between Force and inanimate objects. I'm surprised nobody has contacted the official info-guy for an answer to this, as it has come up more than once. I would do it, but I think he's getting sick of me by now. biggrin.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Fortune)
That's the one, thanks. (I hate that I can't use the Search feature!!!)

It would make sense to have a blanket statement covering the relationship between Force and inanimate objects. I'm surprised nobody has contacted the official info-guy for an answer to this, as it has come up more than once. I would do it, but I think he's getting sick of me by now. biggrin.gif

We never used to use OR, but we'd give the objects a resistant test, then we decided to re-read the rules since SR2 (doh!). Makes more sense to my players that since inanimate objects get no resistance test, that using the 1/2-OR rules helps fill that gap.

It's hotly debated.
TeOdio
Invisibility is one that crops up a bit in my game as I try to emphasize a stealthy approach. When you look at the passage about The sorcery Test (p. 182 in my book) it seems pretty clear to me that that the Force rating should has to be at least half the Object Resistance when the mage is targeting that object with a spell. Improved Invisibility has no target. It is an indirect illusion. Therefore, it would affect a camera. If someone was watching the recording or watching the camera directly, they could notice some flaws in the image that would give the mage away (the problem with a low force spell) assuming the person could get enough successes to beat what the mage rolled on his sorcery test. A directed illusion spell, like Chaos would require the Force of the spell to be at least half of what the OR is.
Ah Shadowrun, where the rules are never in the right place in the book, but strewn out across countless pages.
sarcastic.gif
Kanada Ten
Improved Invisibility has no target. It is an indirect illusion.

MitS page 55 "Indirect Iullsions are cast on a subject person or area. Anyone who views that person or area is a target of the spell."

The camera is the TARGET of the spell.

SR3 page 195 "Invisibility affects the minds of viewers. Improved Invisibility affects technological sensors as well."
Panzergeist
I don't think that passage applies to indirect illusions, since they aren't cast on the object which they are fooling. It would, however, apply to the thing being made invisible, so you would need force 5 invisibility to make a drone invisible.
Kanada Ten
If that were the case then the mana Invisibility could not even make your clothes invisible because mana spells cannot affect inanimate objects. You are free to rule that the OR/2 relates to the spell's subject and not the target in the case of Indirect Illusions (thus requiring mages to use high force spells to make their high tech armor disappear).
GrinderTheTroll
This line of thinking has helped me understand the whole "OR or not to OR issue":

Since Improved Invis affects the mind and cameras don't have minds (or get resitance rolls for that matter) the only way to make the spell work on an inanimate, non-living object is to cast a spell of high enough level to effect it, that being OR/2. Technically, all you'd need is 1-success.

In the case of a camera, someone is probably looking through it and at that point, the viewer would need to roll to resist the spell, since they have a mind which is directly what the spell is targeting. This is where the number of successes generated are important.

The bottom line is, since inanimate objects don't get resistence tests, so they can only be effected by casting a spell at high enough level that being OR/2.

SR3 does a poor job of explaining this, but thinking about it in this manner helps it make sence to me since, after all, cameras have no mind for the spell to effect.
Tarantula
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
In the case of a camera, someone is probably looking through it and at that point, the viewer would need to roll to resist the spell, since they have a mind which is directly what the spell is targeting. This is where the number of successes generated are important.

Except magic can't target through digital means. Not to mention the time delay issues. If someone looks at the film of what the camera recorded, and the spell affected the camera, it doesn't record them, period.
Moon-Hawk
I agree. The person looking at the output of the camera (in real-time or recorded) is not a target of the spell, but they are getting their information from a camera, and the camera has been fooled. Therefore the person still can't see you, but that's not because they're being in any way affected by the invisibility. They are relying on information gained from a source that was a target of invisibility.
Subtly different.
GrinderTheTroll
Ah, so if I understand what you are both saying is, as long as the camera is beatin (OR/2), then no matter what is on ther other side, they can't see it? It makes good sence, because, as mentioned, you can't record magic, and if you forced a resistance test, you'd need to make once each time you look at the replay, which is impossible.

Great, let me restate my explaination:
This line of thinking has helped me understand the whole "OR or not to OR issue":

Since Improved Invis affects the mind and cameras don't have minds (or get resitance rolls for that matter) the only way to make the spell work on an inanimate, non-living object is to cast a spell of high enough level to effect it, that being OR/2. Technically, all you'd need is 1-success.

In the case of a camera, someone is probably looking through it or at a recorded section of the moment.  Since the spell "beat" the camera, they would show nothing. Interestingly, the number of successes generated are not as important.

The bottom line is, since inanimate objects don't get resistence tests, so they can only be effected by casting a spell at high enough level that being OR/2.

SR3 does a poor job of explaining this, but thinking about it in this manner helps it make sence to me since, after all, cameras have no mind for the spell to effect.

Moon-Hawk
I totally agree with your revised statement.
mfb
this seems sensible to me.
TeOdio
Don't forget, however, you can record magical effects as long as they are Physical spells in nature. I think K10 hit it on the head in his explanation (thanks for the MITS look up on that, once again 2 books to say one thing hehe). They also give examples where Physical Illusion spells like Trid Phantasm can effect a user. I still think a person viewing the spell as recorded whether it is an invisibility spell or a Trid Phantasm spell, physical mask, etc would get a roll to notice something wasn't right. THe camera would record exactly what it sees. remember, this ain't D20. Invisibility is not a static spell that does the same level of effectiveness for every spell user. A mage must take shape some magical energy, the Force of the spell if you will, and attempt to create an image (or in the case of invisibility, erase an image). The amount of successes determines how well the Mage makes the image stick. For instance, a mage that generates 2 successes might not have been as precise with his creation of the image. A person seeing the image, assuming they might be smart enough to notice the differences enough to "determine the illusion is not real" SR3 p195, would have an easy time if the Force was low like a 2 or 3. If the Force wass relatively high, like a 5 or 6, than power of the magic fueling the illusion might still be enough to fool someone even if the spell was cast poorly (ie, few successes). Because of that reason, I feel a person viewing what the camera recorded, might pick up on the irregularities in the image. If you follow the OR argument, however, the Force of the spell needed to "fool" a camera would almost assuredly fool your average guard watching it anyway.
mfb
that's not how Imp Invis works, though. if the spell is successful, the camera simply fails to record the subject of the spell. there's nothing for any viewer to notice--the viewer isn't being affected by the spell at all, as a matter of fact, so there's no reason for the viewer to resist.
The White Dwarf
This thread has shined some useful light on some oft contested or misunderstood points. Thanks guys, hope some others get the same use out of it.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
... but people would only have to roll one success at a Willpower 2 test to see you and not notice the spell?

There is nothing in the books, that I know of, that says a character who successfully resists an Illusion spell doesn't notice it. The words from SR3 (mine is a 9th printing) says that successfully resisting the spell allows the observer to "determine that the illusion is not real".

For example, a GM could describe it by saying that someone who successfully resists an Invisibility Spell will see a shimmering, translucent form of the invisible person/object. That would allow the observer to determine that the illusion was not real.

I believe that if Improved Invisibility affects a Camera then there is no evidence of the Subject on the signal coming out the back of the camera, on the data which gets recorded to video tape/disk/chip, or on the monitor being viewed by security guards. I believe the security guards to not get a chance to resist the spell.
Kanada Ten
Just as a note, all Indirect Illusions are resisted by Intelligence, even Mana based ones (SR3 page 195).
Lindt
Needless to say, this needs to be fixed for SR4... Im getting to the point where Invs should be mana based, Improved Invis should be physical based, and get it over with.
Jrayjoker
I concur, the difference is profound, and should be accounted for as such. I also think the drain on improved ivisibility should be upped considerably. It is too powerful a spell otherwise IMHO
Kanada Ten
This topic has some of the more common - and uncommon - ways of defeating invisibility of any kind.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I concur, the difference is profound, and should be accounted for as such. I also think the drain on improved ivisibility should be upped considerably. It is too powerful a spell otherwise IMHO

You see, I just don't get it when people say that. It's already at M+1 drain, and since I can't imagine taking it too low to fool cameras, that's at least a force four, 5M. Given it's usefulness, you're probably going to want to caste it on some of your chummers too. The mage probably has a force four or five sustaining focus, but if they don't, or they need to use it more than once, or they're already sustaining a spell, that TN is 6, and drain rises to +3M.

And honestly, all it does is make you invisible. For the same price as that whiz focus, you can get a ruthenium cloak and enough sensors to be even better than magically invisbile, so it's an advantage not just given to mages and essentially, since invisiblity is such an easily countered advantage, I have a hard time viewing it as overpowered.
Kanada Ten
You see, I just don't get it when people say that. It's already at M+1 drain, and since I can't imagine taking it too low to fool cameras, that's at least a force four, 5M.

Actually, unless you're using a house rule (or the second edition make magic less powerful option), the drain is Force/2 (4/2) +1 M, or 3M. But as you say, the situation dictates differently. A mage can kill bunches of people with a Force 6 Manaball set a Light since the number of dice can get obscene and only face 3M Drain as well.
Jrayjoker
That is more of what I was talking about...3M, not too hard.
Fortune
That's still 4 successes over 2. With the Average Willpower being 3, casting that spell would cause drain in the average person (without Pool use).
Jrayjoker
But who makes a mage with WP less than 5? And which mage isn't going to leave some pool for drain?
Fortune
Whether the character is optimized is not the point. Not every awakened person is strong-willed. As far as using the Pool goes, there might be other factors, like wanting more successes, or keeping dice for Spell Defence, etc.

3M is about right for Force 4 (or 5) Improved Invisibility.
GrinderTheTroll
Interesting enough, you could have a guard station with a camera showing who's down the hall before they would reach the checkpoint. Your 1-success, Force 5 Improved Invis fools the camera, but the guard gets > 1 success and sees through the Illusion as you pass the checkpoint.

Invisibility *is useful*, but it's not a game breaker in the SR world.
Lantzer
Grinder, a cheaper tactic would be a closed door. It doesn't even have to be locked. Just a set of fire doors, like those found in many large buildings. The invisible person still has to open the silly thing to walk through. And that is easily noticable.

Invisibility is a cheaply countered advantage, with just a little thought.
GrinderTheTroll
Ha! That settles it, doors in front of each checkpoint from now on. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
And not glass doors either, to easy to cast through. And I would definitely put resistance on the doors so they can t just be shoved open quickly and allow a spell or knockout agent to be employed before the guards can react.

God! we're sinister.
mfb
pshaw. that's not sinister, that's SOP in the sixth world.
BitBasher
Additionally in secure areasyou could also go the GITS route and have pressure sensors in the floor of key areas, totally invisible, under the carpet/tile. Simple Visual recognition software could match a person's general weight to the image of the person walking on the floor. A pile of extra weight = invis person sneaking around following folks through doors. Inexpensive and autonamous system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012