Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Flashbacks flaw.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
I'd allow it, but would trigger it randomly sometime up to a few days after waking up rather than immediately at.

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Lantzer)
I wouldn't. The inconvenience caused by being useless a little longer when you have been taken out already is small compared to the value of the flaw, and most other triggers. If you live long enough to recover from your deadly stun, then your flashback are probably not going to be a problem. Not much problem in having a panic attack after you have already been saved.

One caveat: I might allow it myself if you think of normal sleep as being deadly stun. It's kind of nifty to have a guy who wakes up every day with nightmares. It also could be an inconvenience at the most inappropriate times, as the flaw is meant to. (Like when you get woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of someone breaking in).

Which is the whole point of choosing such a trigger. To totally negate the drawback. By the rules, the only limitation to the Flashback Flaw is that the character should potentially encounter it a few times in a game, not too few or too much. Whenever there is a risk of combat, the character runs the risk of getting Deadly Stunned and triggering the condition.

By the book and following strictly the guidelines for the trigger condition, such a trigger is perfectly fine. Yes, it might not follow the spirit of the rules but it certainly follows the letter.
Lantzer
Could be. I tend to work with the old rule from Champions: "If it doesn't hinder the character, it's not a disadvantage." I know the original point was that the trigger could be pretty munchy - I just can't help trying to make something work right for the betterment of everyone's fun.

I'll admit - the idea of taking deadly stun as a trigger got a chuckle out of me - as it was intended to. I found it more funny than the 'phobia of masked japanese females with assault rifles' that popped up on somebody's character a while ago.
Jrayjoker
Well, that would be a rare phobia for sure.

Although Mimes might give that character a pause.

Back to flashbacks, I think they are more appropriate for roleplaying than combat and I am rethinking my stance on not taking them for my characters. Anyone have suggestions on when and where to use flashbacks that are not during combat?
hyzmarca
One of my favorite unused character ideas is a mundane paranormal investigator type character who was caputured, tortured, and sexually abused by a sadistic mage when a case when sour. He has a mild phobia of all hermetic magic and flashbacks whenever he is physically restrained. I figure that if he is tied up or handcuffed, he's already so screwed that a few minutes of catatonia won't do too much harm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012