Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RECRUITMENT: YARR!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
RangerJoe
Avast ye, me hearties-- I've returned from my depolyment to the ends of the earth, and am keen to start a new YARR!! game (that is, a pirate/smuggler adventure). Now, I've learned my lessons since the first YARR!! game. Truth be told, I made the Dread Captain Slosh as a a PC, and thought it would be fun to run that PC in a world of my own devising. This made the game about as much fun as a week old chum bucket. I also tried to force a high seas boat adventure into a world with suborbital spacecraft. That idea largely sunk.

So I'd like to revive the game from the depth of David Jones' locker, but with a new feel. I'd like to leave the game much more in the hands of the players to decide what kind of pirates they want to be (sea pirates, land pirates, air pirates, last of the saskatchewan pirates, space pirates, 'trix pirates, wussy smuggler pirates, hip/dashing smuggler pirates, etc.). I'd like to see them organize themselves (elect a captain or decide to be a collective of like-minded plunderers).

I'm flexible on power level-- we'll work out details of vehicles and whatnot after we've decided on a scurvy setting.

Of course, dibs on crew appointments go to my first YARR!! game crew if they are so inclined to play (with old characters or new), and I'm looking for 4-6 players or so (anyone who flags in their posting will be assumed to be engaging in appropriate thuggery or looting).

Any interest in swashbuckling 2064-style?

Yarr.
Morgannah
Yep! grinbig.gif
Whizbang
Cool. I'm interested. Will see if anything else is posted when I get back from my business trip Tuesday evening.
kevyn668
I'm game!
Jaruen
Sounds like fun. My buddy wanted to run a D&D pirates campaign, but we got shipped to Iraq, and I came back before he did, and ETSed.
RangerJoe
What kind of piracy would folks be interested in?
Lindt
YARRR!!! WOOO YARRRR!!!!!
Count Iron Roger Reed in for a lovely run for fun and profit.
Morgannah
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
What kind of piracy would folks be interested in?

I'm amenable to anything, really, but since no one's really spoken up just yet, I'll vote "water" just to get the ball rolling. smile.gif

Anyone else?
Jaruen
Shoreline? A little bit of water, a little bit of land? Maybe, if you get enough people, you could run two groups, you know, like two boats, or a boat and a land group, etc...
kevyn668
Aye, Morg. I vote for water. smile.gif
Panzergeist
I would like to try my hand as a rigger, but I can't make a character for at least a week, because I don't have the rigger book with me.
Tarantula
I'd like to play in a pirate game. YARR me mateys!
Morgannah
biggrin.gif Thanks for jumping in, guys. I also like Jaruen's idea of mixing it up a little bit .. no harm in having more than one MO, right?

What's everyone thinking of doing, character-wise, anyway? And Panzergeist, I'm sure we can work through chargen as a group and address at least some of your questions here. smile.gif

As to my potential character? I'd like to blow many things up .. often .. perhaps even specializing in doing this. grinbig.gif Beyond that I have no idea.

<and yes, my name is Morg and I'm addicted to smilies. wobble.gif>
Nightcrawler472
Well, count me in...I have a sudden idea for a guy with a harpoon gun. A very large harpoon gun.

As for the type of piracy...if we got a big enough boat we could probably stash a small T-bird in it/on it and do various types of piracy...just a thought, though.
Sphynx
"Odin, I await thee, your true son am I. I hail you now as I die. I pledge you my sword, and to no man I kneel. Ours is the Kingdom of Steel! "

True Blooded Skandinavian Viking turned Pirate Shaman (Sky Father Totem).

Sven Blurdweg is a giant of a man, who calls upon Odin to give good winds for the sails, strong currents for our ship, and storms of death for any man foolish enough to cross the path of true warriors.
Sphynx
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
I'm flexible on power level

I may be speaking for the vast minority here, but I'd like to get into a game that starts out a little above average. Maybe like 140ish BP starting out, or starting out basic with say 50ish karma to spend. I think one of the biggest difficulties in a board game is advancement is a thousand times slower than in-person gaming. Seems pretty much all the characters I get to play on this board are asked to start below-average (123 BP seems to be the cap for other GMs), and the game usually dies long before you get to see character growth/development.

Anyhows, not trying to sound like a whiner, just wanted to put my vote out there for something a bit more than average in power-level. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
kevyn668
Not sure what I'll be. Depends on what everyone else is and the power level (I'm very flexible on the last one.)

My choices so far are:
1) The poor sam: made with 90k and running to the sea (air?) to get away from something.
2) Gunbunny (shocker!): I liked the "Sub Sam" that was published in TSS and have tinkered with it a little bit to make it more to my liking. Background would probably be ex Carib League or CAS Marine turned smuggler/pirate.
3) Swashbuckling Face: Erm...he's a face. With a sword. And a high athletics. wink.gif
Jaruen
I was thinking of either a)your first boarder, million dollar samurai, or b)the crows' nest sniper
Also would like to add my vote to the slightly more powerful starting character. I am in total agreement with Sphynx's arguement, also we would have to be a little more self-reliant as soon as we disembark (it would be a lot harder for our fixer to get us that last minute gear, it's a lot harder to shake a L.S. tail on the open seas than it is in midday traffic, etc...)
Lindt
I all ready have a light combat dwarf. Oh, and the drunken basterd.
RangerJoe
Ahoy one and all. I'm glad to see so much interest in plundering on the deep, deep blue.

Here's the rules for making your scurvy crew-member or deranged bilge rat:

* 142 build points (in honor of the ad for the new Hitchhiker's Guide movie I just saw on the tube)

* Max Avail 8 (I'll make a ruling on vehicles later, so don't let that bother you too much if you want to make a rigger--expect a deeply discounted, but not free, vehicle(s) at the start of the game)

* No more than 2 edges and 2 flaws (and mad props if you don't use any, but RP the effects of your favorite ones)

* Any and all books except Matrix (3rd ed)--if you want to deck, we're going to use nice, plain, vanilla decking rules.

* Raygun's firearms are acceptable, because they're so neat (just don't be surprised if the opposition has them)

Send character sheets and character backgrounds (the more I know about your character, the more exciting the adventures will be) to (one word) elysium joe @ gmail.com, preferably in .xls, .doc, or .html format. Feel free to post characters here so that other folks can get an idea of what you're up to.

I'd like to see all characters in by 5 pm on Friday Jan 14 (EST). I'll make final decisions then, and we'll move into an OOC thread to work out the details.

Yarr.
Lindt
Oooo Rayguns guns.... fun times.
Morgannah
So this is how it looks so far:

Panzergeist - rigger
Nightcrawler - harpoon guy (traumatic 7th Sea flashback time wink.gif)
Sphynx - Sky Father shaman
Kevyn - poor sam/gunbunny/swashbuckling face
Jauren - sammy/sniper
Lindt - light combat dwarf/drunken bastard?
Whizbang - ???
Tarantula - ???
Morganna - ???

I'll start leafing through books now to see if I can fill in some of the blanks with my character. smile.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Lindt)
Oooo Rayguns guns.... fun times.

Mmmm...Raygun's guns...gaahhhhh <drools>

Guess I won't be getting any work done for last 25 minutes of the day.

<goes to surf Raygun's site>
kevyn668
Since we have an extra 20 points or so, is the rating cap still 6? Initiation at char gen?
Johnson
I see what I can come up with....
Sphynx
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Jan 10 2005, 07:05 PM)
Feel free to post characters here so that other folks can get an idea of what you're up to.

This is Sven - completed.:

[ Spoiler ]
Nightcrawler472
I really hate college. At the moment I've an English essay due in that I've only done about 1/3rd of, and a big maths coursework thing due in tomorrow I haven't even started.

This means I wont be putting up a character 'till Friday/Saturday, I've got too much to do to avoid getting my ass thrown out of college first.

As for my character...I'm kinda revising it a little, I was thinking of playing an up close gunbunny that could board ships....probably have skills in shotguns, pistols & SMG's with maybe a little skill in something else, and possibly a weapon that'll work underwater (if I can find one, I don't have the CC frown.gif)

Anyway, I'll get something up by Friday/Saturday (yay for 4 day college weeks)

*goes to surf Raygun's site and attempt English coursework*

Edit:

Is it ok if I play a Night Ones elf? I really like them for some reason..
Sphynx
Couple of questions.... Do we pay for our own "Ship" (a near impossibility since they seem to start at about 90 mil)? Lifestyle, is that to be covered by the ship, or will Lifestyle represent something else?

Side Note: I assume DocWagon is completely out of the picture, so a good 'doctor' type would be a gem on the ship... My magic is purely for Transformation Manipulation (personal preference) nyahnyah.gif so the one Magic type on the ship doesn't have any healing type spells.

Sphynx
Ray Becker
Can Ralph rejoin?
RangerJoe
Arr! Here be answers to your questions, ye ever-inquiring lubbers--

* Aye, the rating cap is still 6 and the availability cap is still 8.

* No initiation at chargen-- I'd like pirate initiations to be, well, special.

* If ye's got the hankerin' to be a spooky elf pirate, do so.

* With but a crew of 6 or so, I'm thinking that the "pirate ship" will be more of a "pirate boat" of a largish size. Then again, if you can, ahem, acquire a ship, and shanghai a crew, well then a ship it is. Just make sure someone has the knowledge skill sewing/pirate flags 1/3 so you can make a flag big enough to be seen.

What folks are willing to chip in for lifestyle will determine the degree of comodiousness of your vessel-- if everyone starts off with a month of low lifestyle, then we're talking a month with fuel taken care of (although we may still have RP options for stealing/haggling for it) and enough cabin bread and soy-smeat for everyone. A month's medium lifestyle will cover everything a month's low does, as well as include freshies when you call into ports, the occaisional bar brawl, and your snackfood of choice while out at sea. If everyone takes a squatter lifestyle, you'll have a boat, dank and dirty as it is, with no fuel in its tanks (or however it's powered) and nothing but three devil rats in its bilge (and ja knows, between 6 hungry pirates, 3 devil rats don't go too far). If the crew takes a street lifestyle, you'll find the game begining on a dock, with nothing in your bellies, and a strong desire to set sail.... if only you had something larger than this rigger-adapted row-boat.

In the unlikely event folks want to spring for high or luxury lifestyles (which would be classy for pirates), accomodations will range between 3rd and 1st class on the Titanic.

* Paying for the vessel will come mostly out of the rigger character's pocket (at a very deep discount), supplemented by any cash other characters want to throw into a pot. Since everyone is going to be active on the boat, I think we'll design the craft as a pre-game activity, with the basic ship coming pretty much stock (and cheap) and add-ons/customizations costing their base price.

* Until MediSub comes to a sealane near you, Doc Wagon is pretty much out for this game. Then again, if you see a DocWagon air/sea-craft, they do make for mighty fine pillaging.

* Ralph has a dibs spot, just like Iron Roger.
Lindt
Rigger adapted rowboat... heheheh
Sphynx
Well, whomever the rigger may be, I have 10 extra points to put into resources, I can donate half a mil for the boat (was only planning on 400k). That leaves me enough for the Middle Lifestyle I believe we should aim for. I think we should all buy a middle lifestyle so we can pirate in style. wink.gif

Sphynx
Lindt
Yeah, I can easly toss 150k for the boat.

If this ends up being a good bit, I have a somewhat affordable yacht that would make a very choice pirate vessal.
Shall I pm it to you Ray?
Nightcrawler472
When I sort out my character I'll chip in something towards the boat...I'll figure out how much once I've got a cabin full of guns & ammo sorted out nyahnyah.gif

Edit:

One thing that would probably be essential for pirates would be either extra cargo space or hidden compartments (maybe even both) for storing stuff...

And, can I have a hidden panel type thing in my cabin so his guns are hidden? (I kinda see him pressing a button and a bit of the wall sliding up and having his guns on the wall strapped in).

Oh, and my character'll probably be called Makaber, not decided yet.
Morgannah
In the past, I've had my oceangoing characters outfitted with a larger boat as well as smaller craft (like waterscooters) for tactical purposes. smile.gif This may be something to consider.
RangerJoe
Snazzy compartments can be sorted out when the vessel is finalized (i.e., if there's room, etc.) I like the idea, though. I'll come up with a pricing scheme for hidden panels/compartments with fancy mechanisms when the time comes.

*walks up to rotating bookshelf and gets back to work*
Jaruen
All Right, here is what I have on Thor Young, my dwarf sniper.

I used Attributes 60 BP, Skills 47 BP, Race 5BP, Resources 30 BP = 142 BP
[ Spoiler ]

I also have 108k newyen unassigned for ship purchasing purposes

Oh yeah, and I have 5 months Medium Lifestyle, Suprathyroid modified
kevyn668
So, what skill does waterscooter use?
Morgannah
We've always used the bike skill .. may not be canon (since I don't have my books with me, currently), but it worked fairly well.

I may have to back out of this run, guys, I'm coming up with absolutely nothing remotely interesting, character-wise. Keeping at it, though.... smile.gif
Jaruen
Waterscooters seem to fall under motorboats, and that is the way I have always played them, but I can see where Morgannah is coming from with bikes. RangerJoe?
RangerJoe
I'd treat waterscooters as a motorboat skill, as they are more like boats than bikes. Being the nice GM that I am, though, I'd let a player default to their bike skill at only a +2 mod.
Jaruen
Hey RangerJoe, how do you want us to give you backgrounds? e-mail you, PM you, post them as a second spoiler? Are backgrounds going to figure into your selection of who will be able to play?
RangerJoe
Avast ye, the email would be best.
Whizbang
hmm...thinking perhaps a picker of locks, minds, and databases...in short a covert ops/decker/magician adept...but will have to see what the points allow.
kevyn668
Glad I took Motorboat then. smile.gif

I'll slap some stats up tomorrow sometime. I went with the Ex-CAS Marine. Can we get an update on who's in and who's not?

Also, is Seamanship the knowledge skill we need for day to day running of the boat? I was gonna take Rope Handling or some such but...

Secondly, does anyone have Gunnery or Heavy Weapons? Do we need them?

I'm new this pirate thang but I'm picturing a combination of "Down Periscope" and "McHale's Navy" as a good idea of what we are. Am I on the same page?

Oh, and "Yarrr" and stuff. biggrin.gif
Fix-it
Arrr... This crew still be hirin' deck hands?

I've an inklin just to put in a general purpose smuggler/pirate. contacts, scuba skills, guns, an' barely any cyber (in the fine cyberpirate tradition)

and where are we playing? Ivory coast, Carribbean, or Phillipines?
kevyn668
FIx-it brings up a good point. Should we be "cyber light?"
Jaruen
I have Astronomy, the Edge Direction Sense, the vehicle skill Ship, and an internal GPS. Should I take Navigation knowledge skill or somesuch? I was thinking of being a crow's nest, "land-ho" type of guy, who can be a back up navigator if our rigger gets hurt. Of course, if our rigger has drones, then my idea might be a little unnecessary. But I leave the decision up to the team and the GM
Sandoval Smith
I had a cybered magic medic I was playing around with a while back. I'm not sure if we need another sniper, but especially with those extra points, I could give him some gunnery and launch weapons abilities.

"Go on boyos, you go have fun pillaging that that Renraku research facility. Me and Mr. Deck Gun will have a fine old time until you get back and need to be stitched back together."

He was well on the road to burnout, and not playing the role of shadow medico because he wanted too. He had two geas to cover magic point loss. He had to have consumed at least a shot of alcohol within the past hour(always carried a hip flash, frequently took nips), and had to mutter in rhyme when he cast spells (do you know how much it sucks trying to rhyme 'road pizza' and 'sucking chest wound' while under fire? Don't even get me started on hematomas). Would these geases be acceptable in this game?
kevyn668
A magic healer? You are so hired...matey! Arrrr!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012