Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
It doesn't 'fail to work' when uninjured. That's like saying you fail to bleed when uninjured. The Power as described heals you when you are wounded. A Geas is supposed to limit that Power in some way.

So, can you give me a real example of when the Power would fail because of the Geas when the Power would otherwise normally work?

It would normally work all the time. It is only useful when you are injured. The ability should be working all the time, but not doing anything useful when you are uninjured.
Fortune
Ok, then I'll once again re-word the question.

Can you give me an example of when the Geas would cause the Regeneration Power to fail to heal the wounds that a character has?
toturi
Non wound Attribute Damage. Attribute damage is usually incurred through Wound Effects which I think should be removed by Regeneration. Using the Optional Rules from T:WL, you can simply applying Stress without wounds. QED, apply Attribute damage in the form of Stress without wounds.
Club
Upon due thought, the power should cost at least 5 power points after Geas. Regeneration is one of the main attractions of playing a shapeshifter, and making it a physad power seems wrong to me somehow.

Or make a Mage-path adept with a custom heal spell, range of self.
Kagetenshi
You may think it should be removed by regen, but it isn't canon.

~J
toturi
OK, by the wording in Critters, all damage is removed, to use the exact wording. So even Attribute damage is also removed. By the book, Attribute damage is removed by regeneration. Poor choice of words for my previous post. So apply damage in the form of Stress when the subject is without injury.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Toturi)
So even Attribute damage is also removed. By the book, Attribute damage is removed by regeneration.

Nope. Attributes are stressed and have wound effects, they do not take damage. Damage is either Light, Moderate, Serious, or Deadly.

~J
Fortune
What damage? If all Attribute damage is removed by the Regeneration, you still haven't given an example where the Geas can cause Regeneration to fail in healing the (wounded) character.
toturi
No, Under Wound Effects - Attribute Damage. Damage. So if you inflict Attribute Damage without injury, then Regeneration cannot heal the damage.
Canid13
Another issue which may come up is the new Power in SOTA 64 which allows an adept to take someone else's injuries into himself. Now, imagine an adept with that power and regeneration - regardless of how he/she acquires it.

That means, in roughly 5 minutes, the adept can heal 5 characters from deadly damage to nothing and be fine himself. You have a 1 in 6 chance of it failing, so statistically 5 PC's should be safe.

Since I have a shapeshifter adept who now knows about this power, this is gonna become a regular occurance for my group :o(
Botch
Only works when injured?

Then the first wound is not regenerated because regeneration was not in effect when the wound was taken. When injured a second or subsequent time the regeneration power will heal that damage because it was active when the wound was received.

mfb
QUOTE (MitS page 32)
A geasa... should not duplicate a limitation the character already possesses.

regeneration is already limited in that it can't affect you if you're not injured. you can't take this limitation twice.

additionally, the "stress without injury" thing doesn't work. attribute stress is defined as damage to the body; any damage to the body is an injury.
toturi
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (MitS page 32)
A geasa... should not duplicate a limitation the character already possesses.

regeneration is already limited in that it can't affect you if you're not injured. you can't take this limitation twice.

My argument is that it does. Just that it has little to no practical effect! There is no limitation to Regeneration, that I can recall apart from it not being able to heal Drain. Just that it has little to no effect on someone with no injuries.
mfb
not by canon, it doesn't. the rules only mention the effects of regen on injuries; ergo, it can't be assumed that regen is working on the body when there are no injuries. the idea the regen has any effect on the uninjured body has no basis in the rules.

i need to go do my morning run and head to work. this argument seems like an idiotic, immeasurably stupid waste of time.

i'll be sure to post again, once i get to work!
toturi
QUOTE (Critters p13)
Regeneration

A creature with Regeneration power cannot be killed by any damage except that which injures the spine or brain... For any other result, the creature suffers the standard damage penalties for the combat Turn in which the damage was inflicted, but the damage vanishes at the beginning of the next Combat Turn.

If you don't believe me, this is freely available for download on the official SR website.

Only damage is mentioned. Therefore the operative word is damage. Is there a situation where damage(of any kind) can be inflicted without injuries? What is injury then? There are 2 types of injuries (p 125 SR3): namely Stun and Physical.

QUOTE (M&M p124)
Damage to implants or the organic body is represented by Stress Points.

Stress is therefore damage. Injury, however, still remains Stun and Physical damage. With the advent of M & M, Injury has become a subset of Damage. Thus you can have damage while uninjured. Which the Regeneration power should heal EVEN while you are uninjured.

BTW, Wounds and Damage is also closely related but not the same. Wounds have been generally used to describe physical damage, but not Stun. However, there has been instances of wounds being used to include Stun as well.
mfb
QUOTE (SR3 page 125)
Types of Injury in Shadowrun
Damage in Shadowrun is defined as Physical and Stun.

i submit that injury and damage are used interchangeably in SR3, and are therefore the same thing.
SirKodiak
As a GM, I wouldn't allow such a geas. But as a neutral party, I'd allow it.

Neutral parties can't allow geasa, only GMs can, so your point there is meaningless.

Anyways, here's some things from the definition of Geasa that affect this argument:

"a geas is a restriction an awakened character chooses..." [MITS page 31]

Your proposed geas is not a restriction, so doesn't qualify as a geas.

"Such conditions should generally break the geas about half the time" [MIST page 32]

Your proposed geas does not have failing conditions about half the time. Note that it does not say "at least half the time". Most PCs spend much more than half their time undamaged. As such, this rule, which you've been trumpeting, doesn't help you.

Now, they list condition geas that don't match the half-the-time rule, but yours isn't one of them. The limitation "must be injured" might be fine for some things, given that, but the fact that it is not a restriction, which is part of the very definition of a geas means you can't use it.
toturi
What is the geas? "Must be injured". Unless you spend more than half the time injured, you are breaking the geas more than half the time. It is a greater than necessary limitation. It is a limitation, because more than half the time he has no access to use it. That the power is almost useless when he has no access does not qualify a limitation.

"a geas is a restriction an awakened character chooses..." [MitS p31]
It is a restriction, so it qualifies as a geas.

"Such conditions should... half the time" [MitS p32]
It breaks the geas more than half the time. Being uninjured breaks the geas.

It is a restriction because you can't use the power if you are uninjured.

Also neutral parties can allow geasa, or other rules modifications, whether GMs allow it in their games is another matter.
Fortune
You are only breaking the Geas when trying to use the Power or Magic. If you had the Singin Geas, but weren't singing all the time, it wouldn't matter whatsoever, as long as you weren't trying to use the magic so Geased. As soon as you attempt to use the Magic without fulfilling the Geas, then you are actually breaking it.
toturi
You can be breaking the geas even when not using Magic. Geas like prayer or fasting. Usually you are not praying when using Magic. If you forget to fast or had eaten, you have broken the geas. The condition needs break the geas for a certain period, not just only when you are using Magic.
Fortune
You only break the Fasting Geas if you try to use magic within 24 hours of eating. If you eat, but do not use your magic for a day, you do not break the Geas.

Geasa are conditions on your magic use, not on your life as a whole. With fasting, you could eat every single day, three times a day for a week, but if you didn't try to use your magic during that time, then no Geas would be broken.
toturi
If you break the geas, but did not use Magic, it does not mean that you do not have one(or the appropriate amount) Magic point down. You still lose your effective Magic rating, BUT if you don't use Magic, then it does not really matter.

With fasting, you could eat every single day, three times a day for a week, but if you didn't try to use your magic during that time, your geas would not matter but your effective Magic Attribute is still lowered.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
You only break the Fasting Geas if you try to use magic within 24 hours of eating. If you eat, but do not use your magic for a day, you do not break the Geas.

That isn't actually true. Any time a geas is unfulfilled, it is broken. A talisman geas is broken anytime you lack the talisman, regardless of whether or not you try to use magic without it.

~J
mfb
it doesn't matter, regardless. SR3 does not explicitly subdivide damage into injuries, wounds, and whatever else. subdivision is one possible explanation for the choice of wording, but because it's not spelled out, you have to default to the simpler explanation--namely, that the words are used interchangably. ergo, injuries and damage are not, by canon, seperate; therefore, stress is an injury; therefore, there is never a time when the regen power won't be applied to any injury; therefore, "only when uninjured" is already a built-in limitation to the regeneration power; therefore, it is not viable as a geas to the regen power.
toturi
The only built in limitation that I know by Canon is the limitation by Quick Strike. Stress is damage but not injury. It was and has never been refered to as injury.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That isn't actually true. Any time a geas is unfulfilled, it is broken. A talisman geas is broken anytime you lack the talisman, regardless of whether or not you try to use magic without it.

And yet, it wouldn't count against you with your Initiate Group. Only when you actually use magic without fulfilling your Geas(a) is it considered to be a Geas infringement.
Kagetenshi
That's true. It is broken without being infringed, or insert-convoluted-wording-that-I'm-too-tired-to-come-up-with-right-now-here.

~Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 18 2005, 02:51 PM)
And yet, it wouldn't count against you with your Initiate Group. Only when you actually use magic without fulfilling your Geas(a) is it considered to be a Geas infringement.

Which edition of MitS are you using? The Geas/a stricture state that you must take a geas if you lose a Magic point, but it doesn't say you can't break the geas or that if you break your geas, you are violating the stricture.

By the way, I'd also like to ask another question: If there was a power that cost 8 PPs, would you allow the perfectly legal Exclusive geas? After all, no clever munchkin wordplay here.
Fortune
I must be remembering this strangely-worded tidbit ...

MitS pg. 33: Only if a Geas is the same as a stricture of a magical group to which a character belongs does breaking a Geas also break a stricture.

By the way, I'd also like to ask another question: If there was a power that cost 8 PPs, would you allow the perfectly legal Exclusive geas? After all, no clever munchkin wordplay here.

Yep, I'd have no problems with that.
toturi
Then by that wording, breaking your geas is breaking your stricture, therefore you will get into a lot of trouble with your avatar/group. It doesn't matter that you didn't perform magic.
Fortune
Then a person with a Fasting Geas is truly screwed by that point of view.

It specifically mentions (I believe on the same page) that Geasa only affect your Magical Skills. If you are not using those skills, then the Geasa cannot be broken.
toturi
It states what tests are not subjet to geasa and that because certain geasa cannot be performed in astral, a geas may hamper Magical skills in astral space.

Also if a player is stupid enough to take a fasting geas, then he deserves to have it bite his PC in the ass.
Fortune
MitS pg. 33: Geasa only affect a character's use of Magical Skills.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 18 2005, 04:49 PM)
MitS pg. 33: Geasa only affect a character's use of Magical Skills.

So? Geasa affects only the character's use of Magical Skills.

The important question is: Does the use of Magical Skills affect Geas? Does using Magical Skills break the geas? Unless the condition or restriction forbids your using Magical Skills, the geas is not broken if you use Magical Skills.
Nion
Geas on a spell: Must be using Sorcery.
biggrin.gif
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Fortune)
I must be remembering this strangely-worded tidbit ...

MitS pg. 33: Only if a Geas is the same as a stricture of a magical group to which a character belongs does breaking a Geas also break a stricture.

Translation:
Stricture - Members must be celibate
Geas - Chastity

Break geas, break stricture.

Geas - Fasting
Stricture - Members must fast
Conclusion: either members all die after a few days, or members must fast for specific days/times/periods (all _days_ of Ramadan or Lent, every Friday).

In the latter case, breaking the stricture inevitably breaks the geas, but breaking the geas does not per se imply breaking the stricture. Unless you joined the bonehead Jim Jones magical society for suicidal anorexics o'doom.
spin.gif

Of course, YMMV
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
Then a person with a Fasting Geas is truly screwed by that point of view.

It specifically mentions (I believe on the same page) that Geasa only affect your Magical Skills. If you are not using those skills, then the Geasa cannot be broken.

I think the balancer here would be that most groups that either exist for more than about four weeks or aren't composed solely of people with the Nutrition spell wouldn't take permanent fasting as a stricture.

~J
Tarantula
You could always have nutrients injected through an IV or somesuch.
mfb
QUOTE (toturi)
Stress is damage but not injury. It was and has never been refered to as injury.

but "damage" is used interchangably with "injury". you haven't yet proved that you can be damaged without being injured--the difference between damage and injury is never spelled out in the book, or even strongly implied. therefore, damage and injury are the same thing; therefore, stress is an injury. prove that SR3 strongly differentiates between "injury" and "damage", and you'll have a case. as it doesn't, you don't.
SirKodiak
What is the geas? "Must be injured". Unless you spend more than half the time injured, you are breaking the geas more than half the time. It is a greater than necessary limitation.

Let me quote myself to point out the wording you are basing this whole argument on:

"Such conditions should generally break the geas about half the time" [MIST page 32]

The limitation is not "conditions should generally break the geas at least half the time". It is that the "conditions should generally break the geas about half the time." You're trying to build your whole argument around rules-lawyering the specific language of that line, but you don't match the language of the line. Being broken more than half the time and being broken about half the time are different things. Nowhere in the geas rules does it mention that a tougher geas is better. Nowhere in the geas rules does it mention that a more strict geas is better. If you want to use your power as a GM to say that that is better, then fine, but then we're hitting the fact that the GM can make any ruling they want, so the argument is pointless.

By a strict, literal interpretation of the rules, which is what you're trying for, your proposed limitation does not match the criteria you're trying to use. It says "about half the time" and characters aren't injured about half the time.

Also neutral parties can allow geasa, or other rules modifications, whether GMs allow it in their games is another matter.

The concept of a neutral party allowing something is meaningless. They can support a rules modification, but the only people who have the authority to allow rules modifications are: the developers of the game, when acting in an official context, and the GM. Other people can discuss it, approve of it, have an opinion about it, but they can't allow it.
mfb
good point. the only-when-uninjured geas is broken way, way more than half the time, which makes it not viable as a geas.
Tarantula
Could have 1 level of pain resistance and just always cause a light wound (hit your head on a door or something) enough to be about half the time. Ignore the TN mod, and now you're "injured" properly without the regen healing it. Bam.
mfb
doesn't work. you're still injured, you're just not taking mods for it.
Tarantula
Yes, you're injured, which leaves you injured about half the time (if you do it right), without mods, allowing you to take the cheezy geas.
mfb
except that the regen will heal that injury within three seconds, since you're injured.
Kagetenshi
Stun. Doesn't regenerate.

~J
mfb
i don't believe that's correct, though i don't have my books on me to check. stun does, i'm pretty sure, regenerate.

edit: checked the Critters .pdf. based on the fact that it doesn't specify physical or stun damage in the power, the regeneration power extends to stun damage by default.
Tarantula
Where is the critters pdf? I was going off what others said that stun didn't regen because I don't have the book.
Jrayjoker
Free download at shadowrunrpg.com
Kagetenshi
Ah, how odd… I was pretty sure it was specified for Shapeshifters, but no, physical damage due to drain is just regenerated much more slowly.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012