Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printed runs' adversaries no real challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cynic project
You could have group of runners that are are the raxor gunny bunnies from doom. You could have a team of runners who are all faces/deckers or jack of all trades. You do not need to make a shadowrunner good at combat,and combat is not even needed in shadowrun. You could be a team of runners who do things on the down low. You know B&E to get info,or item x. You go out of your way to advoid gourds...

But really, when it comes right down to it,is that making up bad guys for shadowrun is damned simple. Making them stronger isn't hard,making them weak isn't either. In shadowrun, the players don't get karma for killing each bad guy, they get karma for the run. So,if you really want the bad guys to be better you could just say these gays roll more dice,or have whatever you want them to have. Hell,I have seen lasers with bombs built inthem that go off when the wrong person tries to fire them.
Necro Tech
The adverseries in the modules can be quite a challenge as long as they work as a team and play smart. I had the guard force out of Dark Angel (Xanadu studios) chew up a six man team that averaged about 60 karma because they had their heads up their buts. The captains coordinated the teams, the runners got flanked and lost two members, two with serious and the others with lights. The mercs out of Eye Witness chopped up half a team because again, they played smarter than the runners.

The guards know their building, have them run outside and come back in the front to catch the runners in a crossfire or to snipe them as they run for it. Your average runner just can't take 10-13 S damage with a couple of successes. Multiply that by three guards and they go down faster than a 2$ whore.
toturi
My group has a BS-meter which they would rate how realistic (not how challenging) the opposition that I throw at them. A 500 nuyen.gif run should not feature ninja troll gangers. A 50000 nuyen.gif run should not have elite sec guards patrolling the mall with assault rifles. A mom-and-pop store does not have Red-8 matrix systems with Black ICE. A soda factory does not have CCSS. Everytime someone in the group goes "That's Bull Shit!", the BS-meter goes up.

And to make sure the GM work to keep things real, every Bull Shit! that the GM gets, the PCs get 1 Karma each. So basically the GM is only making his job harder, everytime he tries to use the GM is God rule.
Kanada Ten
Meh, I do whatever.
Vertaxis666
It's a balancing act for the GM. It's the GM's job to ramp up or tone down the game per the players' abilities and characters' capabilities. You don't have to stick to the printed material in the book to do the run.

Most of the time, players might not even follow the "script" and the GM has to create things on the fly. Printed material is only a guide, and not cannon. If you feel the NPC oposition is too easy, bump up thier primary stats or skills. Instead of a team of human security, toss in a Troll with a Body of 9 so the PCs sweat a little. Maybe put in a sergeant with a higher pistol skill to force the PCs to duck. Instead of a 4 man squad, bring in a 2nd squad that was called in for backup and start a second flank against the PCs.

Plan ahead, know the run, and create contingencies to "What if the PCs do something different". Write down and plan what the response of Lone Star, Corp Security, Yakuza Security, or whomever will have given a "situation" if this is helpful for you to remember. Be reasonable and fair. Think fast on your feet if the party surprises you. Even have Security/NPCs/Opposition be flat footed if the situation calls for it.
mfb
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Well, except for the "for publication" part that exactly what I do when I create a run. To do otherwise I feel really whacks the crap out of suspension of disbelief.

i didn't explain what i meant very well. published SR modules aren't intended to be video games, where you plug the players in and run them through with no considerations made for the PCs' abilities and style of operation. at the very least, adjustments should be made to the NPC stats, because it's impossible for the writer to know who's going to be playing.

i'm not going to send a bunch of fresh-out-of-chargen runners through Double Take (the first run in Corporate Punishment) without largely rewriting the last section. this is because if i don't, the runners are all going to die in the first round. the Ghosts are way too badass for any group of starting runners to survive a head-on encounter with. does that make Pistons a poor writer? no. she statted the Ghosts the way they should be statted, and she's trusting the GMs who run it to adjust the scenario to fit their group.

similarly, i'm not going to out any runner group, especially one with any amount of karma under their belts, through Hunting (the fifth run in Survival of the Fittest) without seriously amping up the hunting party they face off against. most of the characters i run--a large number of whom are pretty much fresh out of chargen--could take out at least half that team by themselves. they're almost all unmodified critters; and critters, as everyone knows, are finger foods for runners.

other published runs are the same. you can't run them out of the box for every group and expect them to work well, because SR has no good way to define the capabilities of runners. that's one of the reasons we like SR, remember? no character levels? well, the downside to not having character levels is, you lose an easy-to-reference tool that tells you how badass a given bunch of runners are, which in turn means that you can't lay out a 'run geared towards runners of Badassocity Index 3, or whatever.
toturi
QUOTE (mfb)
similarly, i'm not going to out any runner group, especially one with any amount of karma under their belts, through Hunting (the fifth run in Survival of the Fittest) without seriously amping up the hunting party they face off against. most of the characters i run--a large number of whom are pretty much fresh out of chargen--could take out at least half that team by themselves. they're almost all unmodified critters; and critters, as everyone knows, are finger foods for runners.

A single PC against Volk or Branwen? Let's see 120-125 BPs... I can't seem to recreate Volk or Branwen. OK, with 60 more Karma, yes. So your guys are experienced runners with 60 Karma under their belts.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 1 2005, 09:26 PM)
A soda factory does not have CCSS.

That's bullshit. A soda factory would have a lot of equipment that would be very expensive to replace, and every minute that the machines are out of operation is money lost. I'd expect CCSS just based on the benefits with regard to monitoring the machines themselves, let alone security.

~J

Edit: incidentally, this'd be a perfect example of why the "that's bullshit" system is bullshit itself.
mfb
that'd be the other half of the hunter team, toturi.
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2005, 11:54 AM)
That's bullshit. A soda factory would have a lot of equipment that would be very expensive to replace, and every minute that the machines are out of operation is money lost. I'd expect CCSS just based on the benefits with regard to monitoring the machines themselves, let alone security.

~J

Edit: incidentally, this'd be a perfect example of why the "that's bullshit" system is bullshit itself.

When a cheaper Matrix based system can do the same? That's bullshit.

mfb, the naga, centaur, gargoyle and kludde are no pushovers either.
Kanada Ten
MOO (matter of opinion). Far more people drink NEW IMPROVED soda than install SotA cyber. Whether you consider it worth protecting with a CCSS or a maglock is based on the level of security found throughout the rest of your game world. President Fox owns several soda factories and in Shadowrun no doubt he would defend them against looters with the military.
Dancer
QUOTE (James McMurray)

As an example, in a recently published set of runs the team is to make a run against a place, and the gaurds (three of them) have stats that even a decker could take them out in combat: Body 3, Willpower 3, Pistols 4, unarmed 4, etc. The entire run's opposition is along those lines.

Combat should be the punishment for a run gone bad. But when the gaurds can't hurt the runners unless they get incredibly lucky, combat is just a minor distraction where the runners lose 3-6 seconds of their escape.

You don't think massacaring half a dozen people counts as a stuffup? Shadowrunners should aim to keep everything as low-key and clean as possible. If they start piling up the body-count they're going to get a lot more attention than they want.
Sandoval Smith
And once again I'm thankful I don't actually have to game with Toturi.

Yeah, there shouldn't be some guy capable of taking apart a Tir Ghost holding down the counter at the Stuffer Shack, but when you're running a module and the team is walking right over the stuff that the module indicates should be presenting some sort of challenge, that's a sign that you need to alter the challange to a more appropriate level.

Emphasis on appropriate.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi)
When a cheaper Matrix based system can do the same? That's bullshit.

When those extra nines of uptime represent at least the cost of the CCSS system? That's bullshit.

~J
mfb
eh. andres packs a solid punch, but he's got no armor. oh, whoops, he's got a 2/1 vest... so, yeah, no armor. the gargoyle's probably the toughest of them; i'd probably place it in the half that'd survive one of my characters. the kludde would be a fun fight, if short--5 body and no armor? and volk's not that tough. his starts aren't high enough to be threatening; you just have to beat him and beat him and beat him until he gets that unlucky 1. the best thing he's got going for him is that 4 karma pool. as for the naga, well, "shoot the mage first" applies even when the mage is a snake. with a combat pool only as high as her body, she won't last long.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (toturi)
My group has a BS-meter which they would rate how realistic (not how challenging) the opposition that I throw at them. A 500 nuyen.gif run should not feature ninja troll gangers. A 50000 nuyen.gif run should not have elite sec guards patrolling the mall with assault rifles. A mom-and-pop store does not have Red-8 matrix systems with Black ICE. A soda factory does not have CCSS. Everytime someone in the group goes "That's Bull Shit!", the BS-meter goes up.

And to make sure the GM work to keep things real, every Bull Shit! that the GM gets, the PCs get 1 Karma each. So basically the GM is only making his job harder, everytime he tries to use the GM is God rule.

A 500 nuyen.gif run should feature ninja troll gangers if the party mixes it up in the wrong circles. There is no rule to say that your payoff (monetary or karmic) equals the difficulty level of the run.

I don't bow to my players' whims (ie "That's Bullshit!") when I'm running. Nor do I let them punish me as GM (ie awarding karma for their disapproval). I put whatever I feel like in a run so that my players don't have a scale to call something bullshit or not. They don't know what to expect and I like it that way.
tisoz
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
A 500 nuyen.gif run should feature ninja troll gangers if the party mixes it up in the wrong circles. There is no rule to say that your payoff (monetary or karmic) equals the difficulty level of the run.

I don't bow to my players' whims (ie "That's Bullshit!") when I'm running. Nor do I let them punish me as GM (ie awarding karma for their disapproval). I put whatever I feel like in a run so that my players don't have a scale to call something bullshit or not. They don't know what to expect and I like it that way.

If the world were real, the person coming up with jobs where the pay was in no way linked to the risk or difficulty would find his rep shot. The ones where the pay was too high would get completed. The ones where the difficulty was too high would get the runners killed or they would bail because everyone knows that fixer is crazy, so it isn't going to hurt their rep.
hahnsoo
Back to the Soda Factory, there is no obvious reason for a Soda Factory to have CCSS... but shadowrun isn't about obvious reasons. Maybe the Soda Factory is run by ghouls. Or vampires. Or it's a front for a corporate black ops group.
toturi
Or it could really just be a soda factory. With CCSS just because the GM was a jerk.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi)
Or it could really just be a soda factory. With CCSS just because the GM was a jerk.

Or because it makes sense for there to be CCSS…

~J
mfb
actually, i can see a soda factory having CCSS as a money-saver. if you figure the factory is largely drone-run, you probably want a rigger there to keep an eye on things. since you've already got a rigger there, you may as well have him do security as well. on the other hand, if you're controlling the drones through slave nodes on a Matrix host, i'd have that host run the security.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2005, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 2 2005, 08:29 AM)

Or because it makes sense for there to be CCSS…

~J

There might be performance issues that may justify the cost of CCSS over localized matrix connection, especially if it is connected to the machinery.

Depending on the scale of operation of a soda factory, the land cost, the building cost, the equipment cost (the water, the carbonization machines, the syrup and the various other ingredients that are needed, the actual machinery for the making the soda and the extensive tubing for the liquids. Is the plant also doing bottling? That's alot more items needed there. The machines for process control aren't cheap. Plus, the costs for hiring shifts of controller, maintenance, and also the quality control folks. There's also costs for insurance and electricity.) All of this could adds up into the millions, for a mid sized operation, I'm not sure if the corp will skimp on the security, especially if it's a large revenue production with rival soda brands out there on the market.

Plus, don't forget, if the corporation that owns the soda factory is also a producer of CCSS, they might decide to install it for testing purposes. The whole synergistic utilization resources by having your own facilities use a system that you can get at a base cost and it'll give you free testing of that system. The other way can also be said, the CCSS system produced by your company is a known quantity, you know it's capabilities.

edit: and what mfb said, many of the machinery will probably not be far off from being a drone even if it just stands in one place and shifts around injecting syrup into the bottle and the drones for loading the bottles into the boxes. It's basically a robotic drone which will need a controller (yes it can be automated via a computer, but that computer can be monitored and its program can be changed by a user, in this case a CCSS). Plus, there's the loaders for all the supplies and bottles from the supply trucks to the storage areas and from there to the production line, then from the finished product line back to the storage point before loading back on the trucks for distribution.

addendum: I'm not saying what's stupid or not, but I don't believe it's correct just to say that using a CCSS is stupid and that a matrix system is better and to just leave it at that. There needs to be a more detailed breakdown.
Foreigner
And don't forget the really over-the-top uber-NPC's like Teachdaire, the Elven assassin from SR1 and SR2.

Speaking of which, has anybody tried to convert that walking rules violation (IIRC, he was an Adept who somehow managed to have Adept powers out the wazoo in spite of also being a walking Cyberware storage depot; colloquially known as "The Not-in-MY-Game-Osaurus") to Third Edition, and more importantly, did you do it without breaking the rules?

Just curious. wink.gif

--Foreigner
James McMurray
Couldn't he do that with initiation? Given 6 grades of initiation and 5.x essence cost in cyberware, you'll still have 6 points to spend on adept powers.

Edit: And in 3rd he could spend 20 karma per extra point of adept powers. I don't remember if that was available in SR1 or SR2.
Foreigner
James McMurray:

Thanks. That's about what I figured. smile.gif

I was just looking for clarification.

Unfortunately, it may take a while. frown.gif

I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but my character is only a first-level Magican's Way Adept, with 5 Karma points at this time.

In a nutshell, he'll need to complete at least one more 'run (if I'm lucky smile.gif ) before he has enough Karma points saved up to initiate the first time.

--Foreigner
Chance359
Speaking of which, has anybody tried to convert that walking rules violation (IIRC, he was an Adept who somehow managed to have Adept powers out the wazoo in spite of also being a walking Cyberware storage depot; colloquially known as "The Not-in-MY-Game-Osaurus") to Third Edition, and more importantly, did you do it without breaking the rules?

Not as of yet, but I've been thinking about it. It can't be done cause you need Delta grade cyber and cultured bioware, ass-loads of karma to get the skills. I'll try and run him through BECKS and let you know.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (toturi)

Or it has CCSS because the runners don't have a decker, but a rigger who rarely gets the spotlight in the low power champaign. Again, more people drink soda than install SotA, and a few batches of contaminated Pepsi will have just as much financial ruin as a single stolen prototype from TransSys.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
a few batches of contaminated Pepsi will have just as much financial ruin as a single stolen prototype from TransSys.

Is that what the whole "New Coke" thing was about? *grin*
Kagetenshi
No, that's what created Crystal Pepsi.

~J
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 2 2005, 08:29 AM)

Or it has CCSS because the runners don't have a decker, but a rigger who rarely gets the spotlight in the low power champaign. Again, more people drink soda than install SotA, and a few batches of contaminated Pepsi will have just as much financial ruin as a single stolen prototype from TransSys.

I really like this response. While it doesn't mean every run will be against a CCSS stup (especially since I run 3 years before they became commercially available) it does mena that sometimes the rigger will have to come out of the safety of his van and put his butt where his drones usually go.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2005, 02:55 PM)
No, that's what created Crystal Pepsi.

~J

I can see this becoming a fun little plot in some campaign. The Cola Wars of 2065...
Plus, you have to do the aftermath of it. With only one brand surviving from it so you can do the lame reference to 'Demolition Man'. Now all Colas are Coca-Cola*.

* yes, I'm a Coke fan, guess it stems from being originally Atlanta, the headquarters of Coke. nyahnyah.gif
Chance359
Teachdaire:
(28 Karma) B: 5
(50 Karma) Q: 7 (10) <12>
(28 Karma) S: 5 (cool.gif <12>
(4/60 karma) C: 2/8*
(40 Karma) I: 6
(18 Karma) W: 4
E: 0.25
R: 6 (15) <19> + 4D6
M: 9
B.I.: 4.125
(180 Karma) Grade of Initiation: 9**

Bioware (All Cultured):
Adrenal Pump: 2
Enhanced Articulation
Trauma Dampener
Muscle Aug 3
Muscle Toners 3

Cyberware (all Delta Grade):
Titanium Bone Lacing
(2) Smartlink: 2

Physical Adept Powers
Increase Reflexes 3
Centering (Athletics, Stealth, Rifle, Pistol, and Unarmed Combat)

SKills:
(30 Karma) Bike: 6
(15 Karma) Etiquette: 3
Street: 5
(121 Karma) Rifle: 11
WA2100 13
(65 Karma) Pistol: 9
(96 Karma) Stealth: 11
(8 Karma) Throwing: 3
(90 Karma) Unarmed Combat: 10
(66 Karma) Centering: Tia Chi: 8

Alright so there he is, the man, the myth, the pain in the ass. I spent 1.4 million on bioware and cyberware, which would be equal to 140 Karma

Grand Totals:
228 on attributes
+180 on initiation
+491 on skills
+140 on Resources
+24 Ring
=1063 total (He to can be yours if the price is right)

*: The second rating is for when he can use the power of personality to threaten
**: Assumes group with no ordeal
James McMurray
Why do you have to spend karma on resources? Wouldn't he have started with resources at A and then earned another 400k?
Chance359
I used BECKS, so you have to pay for resources.
James McMurray
Ah. Since I have no idea what BECKS is, I'll just wander away aimlessly.
Chance359
BECKS

It's the second one down.
Kagetenshi
Alternate chargen system. Probably the worst possible system for recreating a character like this, as it jacks up the prices significantly as you climb to the extremes of a single skill or attribute.

~J
Crimson Jack
Yeah, he'd be a lot cheaper to build using the BBB and SC.
James McMurray
Wouldn't it be simpler to build as close as you can and then say "he earned X karma and Y money". So you start with an adept with resources A, magic B, attributes or skills C, the other D, and race E. Or use SC if it ends up netting you more starting off (I've never used it so I don't know if its better, worse, or equal to BBB).

It should be obvious that he isn't a starting character. But I guess if you're looking at a point buy system to see what he would be worth, that's cool.

And of course don't forget that he was originally created with SR1 rules. You can probably roll back to creation systems back then and juice a bit more out of the system before having to switch to finding out what he earned after creation.
Kagetenshi
With point-build, 128 points, you get

Elf Physad

Body 1

Quickness 7

Strength 5

Charisma whatever it is he does

Intelligence 6

Willpower 3

Bike 6

Rifle 6

Pistol 6

Stealth 6

Unarmed 5

(¥1,000,000 gear)

at chargen.

<Calculating costs to increase to current levels and correcting errors… complete>

Upgrading to actual current stats costs 389 karma before bonding to the ring and any other foci as well as ¥400,000 for the gear (trusting entirely to Chance's total here and for a lot of the karma costs).

~J
Chance359
Teachdaire was SR2
James McMurray
See, that just shows my ignorance of him. I thought someone mentioned SR1, and since I have no idea who he is I didn't realize he was an elf.

But I make up the super badasses in my campaigns anyway, so its really all academic to me. biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
He's a pretty cool 'flavor' NPC. In fact, there are a few really cool NPCs in Prime Runners.
Foreigner
Hmm.

Given a choice, I think that I'll take the second version, thanks. wink.gif

The first sounds a little too much like cheating to me.

(Or at least "legalized munchkinism". rotfl.gif )

--Foreigner
Fortune
What's the difference? Either way Teachdaire is technically rules-legal. He's not even as tough or tweaked as some PCs I've seen (my own included).
Foreigner
Fortune:

I may have misremembered what I mentioned earlier.

I seem to recall something to the effect that the character would have been almost impossible to duplicate as a PC, and that the game developers ignored that detail in developing an uber-NPC.

Or at least that's what I thought they said....

frown.gif

Everyone else: (As if you didn't already know nyahnyah.gif ) The version of "The Foreigner" which Sahandrian and I came up with for his campaign was intended (eventually, at any rate) to duplicate Teachdaire's abilities without resorting to non-magical methods--that is, using strictly Adept or Mage abilities, and without cyberware or bioware.

I picked "The Foreigner" because he wasn't as well-known as the other pop-culture assassin characters [i.e., Remo Williams (from The Destroyer book series, by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy), Jonathan Hemlock (the main character in The Eiger Sanction and The Loo Sanction, by Trevanian--Clint Eastwood played Hemlock in the 1975 film adaptation of the first novel), or James Bond, to name but a few].

--Foreigner
Crimsondude 2.0
I seem to remember a big argument on ShadowRN, AOL (back when there were several FASA people on, including Tom, Mike, and Lou), a couple SR websites, and possible Deep Rez about the rules legality of Teachdaire's hydraulic jacks in his meat legs, but other than he was rules-legal.

And as has been proven elsewhere, he's also achievable as a PC. Especially since he was a TNO Warrior elf with super-duper-TNO Deltaware or whatever the Hell they used to tweak his stats.

[edit]
hahaha. This is totally OT, but I remember flipping around my old copy of Stranger Souls looking for canon references to the Secret Service, and I could swear that I could hear the sound of dice being rolled as I re-read the last two chapters.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
What's the difference? Either way Teachdaire is technically rules-legal. He's not even as tough or tweaked as some PCs I've seen (my own included).

Aside from, say, that ring of his?

~J
kevyn668
I don't know this Teachdair poser but I gotta vote for Blackwing (aka Bloodwing) as the uber "Elven Hitman." (remember that contact?)

And just to keep it on track, Dragon Hunt was pretty damn tough IIRC. The Cobalt Marys? Yikes! The Troll Bouncers at the Cobalt Mary? Yeow-za! The KE teams? Holy Frag!
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 3 2005, 01:49 PM)
Aside from, say, that ring of his?

Meh. The rules allow for Foci with unique enchantments. This is just one example of such. This kind of thing might be out of the range of most normal PCs though.

If anything, Teachdaire is short a few Metamagic techniques, some of which could come in quite handy, like Attunement (Item).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012