Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Generation Preference
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Paul
NSRCG and BeCKs. Bethyaga is my homie.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I think it's unfair that Dwarves get a net +4 to their attributes without any attribute penalties, along with free Thermo and +2 dice vs. toxins and disease, AND they only cost 5 points. But hey, I'm not complaining... anything to get more people to play Dwarves, I guess.

Yes, but that x2 instead of x3 to running multiplier really *really* sucks for them. Unless you're making a dwarf rigger, of course, but then the Str and Body bonuses are essentially worthless, as is resistance to toxins.
Smiley
I gotta go with Hahnsoo. My group has had a few discussions about the point values for the different races and has talked about switching Elf and Dwarf, but we haven't found it annoying enough yet to house rule it. Maybe because nobody ever plays a dwarf (except that one time... the ONLY time I've ever had a character die, thank you VERY much, Ryan.)
TeOdio
I've used Sum to 10 in my Game for years. I have an un-natural hatred for the points based system. I'll agree that the Sum to 10 definitely allows for a much more powerful character than just regular priority. As a GM, if I want to scrutinize a character, it's a hell of a lot easier for me to check the Priority(Sum to 10) than to bust out a calculator and check out the point based character. I also cap my players flaws at 6 points with which they can buy edges. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the point based method let's you buy Edges with your points, and you don't have to take a flaw for that. That's just wrong.
wink.gif
TeOdio
Damn folks, who cares what a certain metahuman race costs! If my players concept is to play an Ork, he or she pays the Ork cost. If they want to play an elf, they pay the elf cost. There are soooo many reasons I could justify why a Dwarf should be cheaper than an Elf just from reading the source material alone, without having to revert to "pure" bonuses and the like. I've got no problem with how much the costs are.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Xirces
QUOTE (TeOdio)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the point based method let's you buy Edges with your points, and you don't have to take a flaw for that. That's just wrong.
wink.gif

That's one of the advantages, IMO - that edges and flaws buy/cost BP. Sometimes you don't want to offset that flaw with an edge and extra skill points might be better. sometimes you want to sacrifice a couple of points for that edge...

Forcing characters to balance their edges and flaws is limiting. YMMV. smile.gif
Shockwave_IIc
I Prefer to use points. It's just too many time i have found that 90k isn't enough or that i have no need for 1 Mil. Points (and BECKS) allows for a more even spread. I've looked a BECKS and all though i'll never ask for characters to be that way in one of my games. i will allow characters to be made that way and build one that way myself if a GM requires it.
Paul
BeCKs is by far the most versatile system in my opinion-having used it for a while now I can say how nice it really is. Combined with the NSRCG, well its amazing. Not only does it have everything in one place, but it organizes it for you. As a Game Master they are an invalueable tool.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Smiley)
Maybe because nobody ever plays a dwarf (except that one time... the ONLY time I've ever had a character die, thank you VERY much, Ryan.)

Our group has TWO dwarves now. The dwarf point value came into question after I did my analysis. Now both of us want to take extra flaws to compensate for the extra cheese that dwarves get, or play new characters entirely.

Even with a slower movement modifier and the need to customize your equipment, the attribute bonuses exceed the "net +3" general rule about metahuman races (or it used to be that way, anyway, in SR2). Maybe we need to just simply reinstate the -1 Quickness again.
Fortune
Maybe we need to just simply reinstate the -1 Quickness again.

Or remove the +1 Willpower.
TeOdio
QUOTE (Xirces)
Forcing characters to balance their edges and flaws is limiting. YMMV. smile.gif

What's wrong with that ?
biggrin.gif vegm.gif
Xirces
It's not like it's some sort a big philosophical problem I have, but most of the time when making characters I find it difficult to *have* to balance edges and flaws - it seems silly to have to find that /extra/ edge or flaw that you don't want and might not match the concept. Just seems to make more sense with BP...
Raife
Priority all the way.

IMO, points favor certain builds to heavily. In my game I much prefer to have lots of metahumans running around and points really favor humans to strongly.

Also I like the feel more. Point buy feels like I'm playing some other game.
Bigity
I like SumToTen for most games, second is Point Buy.

Don't like BeCKs. Standard Priority is ok, but hard to be unique sometimes.
Jrayjoker
What book is sum to 10 in?
Herald of Verjigorm
Mentioned in Companion, but uses the priority chart from SR3 with just a slightly different accounting.
Bigity
It's in the 2nd Edition Companion, but not the 3rd edition one.
Herald of Verjigorm
I don't have my copy on-hand, but I thought it got a small paragraph on the page with the BP main chart.
Bigity
Possibly, don't have my copy either smile.gif Can someone enlighten us?
Kagetenshi
Nope, not so much as a whisper.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012