Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trap Mechanisms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Crusher Bob
You can also use the quote metatags, if you are quoting several different posts...

Another thing to condier about trap design is the 'economics' of traps. The only reason to put a trap somewhere is if the trap would be more effective than an alternative (like say live guards).

Plenty of 'progress impeding' traps like secure 'airlock' type rooms with two doors, designed to slow down any intruders are cheap and effective. Wierd boulder and pit combinations much less so...

Bob the Ninja
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Response: Exactly, a madman, like Rasputin, Imhotep, and Tetsuo Shima. 

When did Imhotep become evil? All the historical evidence points to him being a rather nice guy--hell he gets turned into a god of healing by the Greeks and Romans.

As for traps um... monowire netguns?
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 10 2005, 03:16 PM)
Sandoval Smith:  And you still haven't explained where the will test to not grab the bracelt comes from.
Response: The Willpower test is invoked due to the fact that the bracelet is worth about 15million creds or more, ie Stratospheric value.

In plain words: That's not fair, and it reflects on how poorly designed the trap is. Unless they're roleplaying an overwhelmingly compulsive, or greedy character, warning bells are going to be going off in the PCs' heads as soon as they enter the room. And then there's that statue right there, with an insanely valuable bauble in it's hand. Since it's going to be the rare PC that is dumb enough to just grab it, you take that option away from them by forcing them to make a check. It's poor GMing on the scale of having them make checks to avoid tripping while walking up a mundane stairway, or when sneaking past the sleeping Deadly Monster with Really Big Teeth™, forcing them to make a check to resist the urge to stop and shout 'BOOGA! BOOGA!'

QUOTE (Weredigo)

Rasputin never built elaborate traps involving spinning rooms, Imhotep, IIRC, wasn't insane, and Tetsuo is a fictional character and doesn't count. I could create a fictional character that sodmizes Buicks on a regular basis, but that's not going to make him any more believeable when I try and insert him into a game.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (Weredigo)

Rasputin never built elaborate traps involving spinning rooms, Imhotep, IIRC, wasn't insane, and Tetsuo is a fictional character and doesn't count. I could create a fictional character that sodmizes Buicks on a regular basis, but that's not going to make him any more believeable when I try and insert him into a game.

I have to wonder, would he be a rigger? twirl.gif
Weredigo
Okay, I think I figgered it out.

Rasputin never built elaborate traps involving spinning rooms, Imhotep, IIRC, wasn't insane, and Tetsuo is a fictional character and doesn't count.

Almost All PC's and NPC's are fictional characters, as far as Rasputin not building elaborate traps, watch the movie HellBoy. Imhotep, might be inately good but the dude's still mad as a hatter.

In plain words: That's not fair,

Running Equals Realism, Judging on how "Fair" the real world has been to me, I am just as "Fair" to my players. Sometimes I bend rules against them, Sometimes I bend rules for them. and I bend rules on an equal basis. As Tough, Cruel, Violent, and Frightening my Runs are, I do make up for it by Working with the players and not against them. I may be a New GM, but the only Bad GM is an Inflexible one.

Also, I do apologize for the "quote button" misunderstanding, only have about 1/2 hour on puter a day, so taking a bit to learn all the ropes on these forums.

IF anyone wants to Ask Questions About, or Critique my GM'ing style, or if anyone wants to just randomely insult me for the simple reason of stress relief/anger managemnt, feel free to email me at bass624@cox.net
Fortune
Congrats on mastering the quote function.

Apart from that, I stand by my previous response, which was ... ohplease.gif
Weredigo
In time it'll be developed to be more game freindly, at the moment it's more of an inside joke in the group, and an interesting non"pass/fail" test to new players. I'm a bit of an Eccentric in real life and on game board and was wondering when I'd get lynched for posting here. but hey, no offense taken.

When it comes to Traps in Corp Facilities my Fav to use are Auto Guns loaded with Anasthetic DMSO Gel Rounds. Not Necessarily Panther cannons or Vindicators, just simple belt fed SMG's. Easily disarmed, bypassed, or destroyed with enough investigating and work, but just the thing for those players who think it's safe enough to walk around a corner without checking it. What keeps it firing on corp employees, access to a facial recognition database. What could be worse to your reputation, getting killed in a Corp Facility, or having to put up with not the rumors but the solid fact of having to be carried out by team members because you weren't carefull enough.

The one trap I hated most in Corp Facility, artificial gravity flooring. Was only controlled by the CEO's personal computer, which is isolated from everything else. Yer walkin along, all's quiet and all of a sudden the floor CLOBBERS you across the skull, and all you can do is lay there and wait, cause the flooring is putting out about 4G's. Not fun.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Almost All PC's and NPC's are fictional characters, as far as Rasputin not building elaborate traps, watch the movie HellBoy. Imhotep, might be inately good but the dude's still mad as a hatter.

Oh, I think I see what you're talking about now. I thought you were giving real life examples, although the inclusion of Tetsuo should've clued me off sooner. I thought you were giving examples of real life crazies to justify who would build wonked out traps like the spinning room.

It's slightly amusing that in an argument about a spinning death trap room, you used, 'running equals realism.' A good GM will should always play 'fair.' The will save for the bracelet is unfair because it arbitrarily usurps control of the PC from the player (especially since how are they supposed to know it's so valuable at a glance if it doesn't have a price tag dangling from it or something). That's the same kind of unfair as if whenever one of your PCs saw one of those uber-rats you mentioned in your other thread chewing on a dumpster, you made them roll a will save to keep from shooting it.

Finally, if the spinning room was an in joke, and not something to be really taken seriously, then you should've mentioned it sooner. They your intial description of it was written, you made it sound like you were taking pride in being a bad GM.
Weredigo
Meh, nobody's perfect.

That's the same kind of unfair as if whenever one of your PCs saw one of those uber-rats you mentioned in your other thread chewing on a dumpster, you made them roll a will save to keep from shooting it.

Uhm, No, I did not make them roll a will save to keep from shooting it. They just decide on their own.
Jrayjoker
But if they wander into an anchored spell that compells them to shoot the uberratthingfromhell.
tisoz
I kind of like the spinning room trap compared to Grimtooth's. It is about a notch more survivable and isn't automatically sprung. The PCs could walk through the room/trap without anything happening.

Not that there were not a lot a valid complaints.
Tanka
I wholeheartedly concur with Fortune on this one.
Herald of Verjigorm
I must state that a trap based on an expression of compassion to pass has a place in the Shadowrun timeline. However, it has no place in most actual shadowruns, but a moderately insane hermit's dwelling (for certain rare hermits that would take a team of runners to get to) or archeological dig could be viable locations.
Weredigo
or archeological dig could be viable locations.

yup, as stated earlier, it's a trap for a dungeon delving adventure/run, usually in an abandoned temple or dwarven hall or some such.
Nice to see that there are Others who share the "Good Shadowrunner" viewpoint.
Kagetenshi
Fortune summed up my take on that one.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned previously, devious traps have very little place in a corporate setting. I do love the mazes Deus constructed for exactly this reason, and am planning to add some of Artificer's left-over creations in the near future. Still, simpler is better. Pressure plate linked to a blade to swing out of the wall, falling-log trap, the classics. Phantom of the Opera (the book) gives some ideas for additional ones, like the iron tree; that is, admittedly, more of an execution method than a trap, though in the book it does double as one.

Incidentally, the only person I'm familiar with to have actually built trap doors, acid vats, lime pits and other such staples is Dr. H. H. Holmes, a serial killer active during the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893 and for about three years thereafter. Imhotep was considered the first architect and physician; I suppose that gives him the required knowledge for trapmaking, but he seems to have been more about healing. Tetsuo Shima was not prone to the kind of psychotic behavior required for trapbuilding until his mind was shattered well past the point at which he could have planned it out. Rasputin, while certainly mad, does not seem to have had any directly homicidal tendencies that I can find.

Does anyone have ideas for good Artificer-style traps? The only ones coming to mind at the moment are straight out of Prince of Persia (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you).

~J
Weredigo
Artificer style traps. well kinda fuzzy with term "artificer" but let me see if I can help.

Keep in mind, these traps can be disabled by any character who has skill of B/R Locks, or you can alternate over to intellegence.

1. door leading into room with no use, null purpose, but is apparantly stocked with supplies, food, perisables. Switch in doorframe if not braced after door is opened activates waterclock, which counts for some said time in which one player or more might be caught in doorway, set into wall either above, below or either side of doorway is spring loaded metal sheet, it is thin, it is sharp.

2. Floor alphabet spelling quiz as seen in "Indiana Jones and the last crusade", many variations are available, also easily "pacified" by a smart Player with a good solid staff.

3. Not a deadly trap mind you, but very annoying and confusing to players, Simple little signs set into wall by a group of doors, 3 or more, Pressure on floors keep the signs from moving, however once players move out of the room the little signs switch. "Hey waitaminnit, didn't we go through the "monkey" door?"

4. Spiral staircase, leads up, and up, and up, and up, monofilament lines stringed somewhere up there, after the first ascended story or so have a pressureplate activated to add a second string at the bottom.

5. Another way to trick players into wasting valuable time. used to have something like this. My Dad made it actually, he called it a Window into Infinity. Two pieces of two way mirror, set apart about an inch or so and set together in a frame, put lights around it, add electricity. make it look like a door frame, with a keypad, Last time I checked Dikoting is transparent.

6. Strobe Lights, Speakers, behind thin Dikoted Titanium walls, and recorded sounds of combat. Activate as they are right in the center of the room. If they're a good Team and they keep thier cool and breeze past this one. If anyone panics there could be a problem after the lights go out. Freindly fire not only isn't, it's also known to be more accurate.

Last few are just for laughs

7. For the StreetSam, a door that leads to no where, just set into the wall, reinforced with ferrocrete. When all other attempts to open fail, let him exhaust himself pounding it down.

8. For the Mage, Fairy's, and lots of them.

9. For the Decker ( not the one on matrix watch, the one that is walking around in the party ) a dataport leading into a Datastore containing nothing but PopUps.

Last but not least.

10. an innacurate map.

If I didn't help with your game, please tell me I atleast got a chuckle, an evil grin, a humorously raised eyebrow at least.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Artificer style traps.  well kinda fuzzy with term "artificer" but let me see if I can help. 

Artificer is an Earthdawn induced nightmare that can be very fun in games if used correctly. Basically, (I don't have the books on me right now) it was a machine/metal elemental of vast power. It was originally designed to fight Horrors, but after a while while corrupted by them. Once that happened it proceeded to set up a standard operating proceedure that went something like this:
1.) Find good hunting grounds, often near or in abbandoned kaers (those things where Namegivers hid during the Horror's Scourge)
2.) Burrow into the ground.
3.) Build a fiendish dungeon, complete with hordes of traps.
4.a) Wait until some hapless adventurers wandered into it and laugh at thier messy deaths.
or
4.b) Get bored and move on, leaving it as a trap ridden dungeon for some hapless adventurers to find in the future (it just doesn't get to laugh at them in this case).

QUOTE (Weredigo)
5. Another way to trick players into wasting valuable time.  used to have something like this.  My Dad made it actually, he called it a Window into Infinity.  Two pieces of two way mirror, set apart about an inch or so and set together in a frame, put lights around it, add electricity.  make it look like a door frame, with a keypad, Last time I checked Dikoting is transparent. 

It's probably just my sleep deprivation, but I don't get what this is supposed to do. Could you describe the effect it has?

QUOTE (Weredigo)
9. For the Decker ( not the one on matrix watch, the one that is walking around in the party ) a dataport leading into a Datastore containing nothing but PopUps. 

I like that. I seriously like that. I'm willing to bet that my players would be asking about getting a hard-wired pop-up blocker installed into thier headware after that. Reminds me of "The World's Most Annoying Website." If you don't know what it is and really want to find out here you go. Please open this in a different browser so that you can kill the process before putting your fist through the computer.
Weredigo
QUOTE (Weredigo)
5. Another way to trick players into wasting valuable time.  used to have something like this.  My Dad made it actually, he called it a Window into Infinity.  Two pieces of two way mirror, set apart about an inch or so and set together in a frame, put lights around it, add electricity.  make it look like a door frame, with a keypad, Last time I checked Dikoting is transparent. 

It's probably just my sleep deprivation, but I don't get what this is supposed to do. Could you describe the effect it has?

Basically even though it's just a Flat Picture + frame against a wall it looks like a tunnel of lights leading off for Miles/Infinity. They make Awsome decorations when they are turned on, turned off, it's just a normal Mirror.

Artificer is an Earthdawn induced nightmare that can be very fun in games if used correctly. Basically, (I don't have the books on me right now) it was a machine/metal elemental of vast power. It was originally designed to fight Horrors, but after a while while corrupted by them. Once that happened it proceeded to set up a standard operating proceedure that went something like this:

Well as much fun as this looks to put characters through, unless there's some reward at the end of it I'd never do that to my players. Not the ones I wanna keep in the game anyways. So if I tag a historical reference onto this Artificer thing the best term to use would be a type of Golem correct?

Hmm, interesting quiz question, does anyone here know what Mythos Golem originate in, and how to really easily kill one if encountered in game?

Toshiaki
QUOTE (Weredigo)

Basically even though it's just a Flat Picture + frame against a wall it looks like a tunnel of lights leading off for Miles/Infinity.  They make Awsome decorations when they are turned on, turned off, it's just a normal Mirror. 

Ah, I get it now. Just having a slow day.

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Well as much fun as this looks to put characters through, unless there's some reward at the end of it I'd never do that to my players.  Not the ones I wanna keep in the game anyways.

Well, I left the reward part out because motivations vary greatly between groups. The Earthdawn kaers open up all sorts of possible rewards for your players. They were essentially refuges for the metahuman races during a magical holocaust. As such, most have a number of powerful magic users in them. Sometimes the kaers held out, and eventualy opened peacefully. In those cases you didn't tend to have a lot of loot left behind. However, just as many were breached by the Horrors (big Uber-nasty spirits) and so have a wealth of treasure and knowledge left behind. All in all Earthdawn was Fasa's setting that allowed them to have an excuse for dungeons with an excess of traps, critters and forgotten loot lying around for adventurers to find.

QUOTE (Weredigo)
So if I tag a historical reference onto this Artificer thing the best term to use would be a type of Golem correct?

The following assumes that by historical reference you want to use the Earthdawn/Shadowrun crossover stuff, feel free to ignore it if that wasn't what was implied. I'd probably use Artificer as an undiscovered type of free elemental. It was big too. Really big. Not really something that your party would normally end up fighting and defeating, but more of something for them to explore and escape from with some loot. If I remember correctly, Artificer was stated to use such dungeons as it's material body when it wasn't hanging on the Astral plane. Anybody recall if it manifested the dungeon's as it's physical body or if it "possessed" them to enter the physical plane?

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Hmm, interesting quiz question, does anyone here know what Mythos Golem originate in, and how to really easily kill one if encountered in game?

The golem is based of off Jewish mythology. The best known myth happened is placed in 16th century Prague. Rabbi Yehudah Levi ben Betzalel made it a frame of tree limbs and flesh of river mud. Depending on who tells the tale, he Rabbi either had to shout holy words or write the name of God on it's forehead (see note).

The capabilities of the Golem were limited at first, but grew in time. Physically, it started nearly invulnerable and didn't progress much. However, mentally it evolved greatly. From it's creation it was able to understand human speech, though it was never able to speak itself. Another way that it could be commanded was to write instruction and then place the paper in it's mouth. That allowed it to be animate even when the creator was not present (remote services anyone?) The accumalated experience and knowledge eventually led to a distinct personality. That personality eventually got drunk on it's power and role as community guardian. After this change, it became so dangerous to those it was originally created to protect that the Rabbi was forced to unmake it.

Note: Similar myths involve writing the name of god on the forehead or arm of a recently deceased individual, returning them to life. In both the case of ressurection and golem, erasing the name undid the magics.
Weredigo
Damn yer good. Would very much appreciate getting your opinion on the topics I've started. Hmmm... Well I've got a set of adventures planned for the current group, although they have not yet gotten the toes wet on thier new characters and are itching to get back to thier previous characters. I'm wondering if I can keep them busy long enough to design a proper Artificer.

Last dungeon I put them through was part natural cavern with all sorts of nasty critters, and part "re-existence" of an abandoned Hall of the Dwarven Lords (of which there are many) which were inhabited by WodeWose/Kobolds. Unfortunately they didn't take the shift between hungry mindless creature attacks and Guerilla Tactic Combat very well and ended up having to negotiate for a truce.
Scratch
QUOTE (Toshiaki)
...it became so dangerous to those it was originally created to protect that the Rabbi was forced to unmake it.

As a followup on this series of posts, in staying true to the mythology (of course, provided that your GM is also...) the best way to handle a Golem would be to destroy the divine names scrawled on it because those are what animate it and give it power. By removing that physical representation of the divine it is imbued with, it would reduce it to the elements from which it was molded.

Toshiaki's post is very thorough, mentioning both versions of the Golem's creation, though early on I was always told it was the forehead. As an interesting sidenote, the more orthodox Rabbis will wear a phylactery on their foreheads that contains tiny versions of holy script. The connection has grounding in the metaphor that the Golem story presents, that humanity, according to this paradigm, is not a race of creators, we are simply the created. Because of that, any attempt at creating something like the golem will ultimately fail.

Granted, that is only the intention. Naturally mystics and metaphysicians have taken the story of the golem in different ways...sometimes the exact opposite of its intended purpose, that because man is a microcosm of god, they are imbued with the ability to create, however unlike god, we are not perfect, therefore our creations will not be either.

It's all a very interesting thing....however perhaps more than you were interested in hearing, Weredigo.
Weredigo
It's all a very interesting thing....however perhaps more than you were interested in hearing, Weredigo.

actually quite the opposite, I find both views quite interesting, informative, and definitive. I just hope it doesn't jam up the topic.

to get it back on track though, what kinda traps might a group encounter in the sewer section of the Orc underground? am currently running my group through DNA/DOA and would like some ideas...
Tanka
Traps? Oh, just your usual "Ork springs out of hidden doorway" types. Nothing fancy.

They may have smart Orks down there to build diabolical things for them, but that doesn't mean they have the money for it.
Weredigo
With easy access to the store rooms of shops, resteraunts, and myriad other businesses, plus what can be scrounged from junkyards and local dumps you'd be surprised the contraptions that are devisable. They don't even have to be lethal, just make enough noise to be heard a few tunnels over, and a noise that is distinct so the echo's don't throw you off as to where to start sending the troops.
Although most people might use the canon of Orks and Trolls having low intellegence I personally don't, I'm sure enough of them have the ingenuity of Macguyver if not the swiss army knife.
tisoz
How do they keep the kids from setting them off? You know
[ Spoiler ]
Weredigo
My making sure that said kids who do set the traps off are heaped extra chores such as washing dishes or laundry. and being vigilant with the rules and patient with thier desire to be the little fireballs that they are.
tisoz
I assumed the kids who set off the traps would be maimed or dead.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Toshiaki @ Feb 12 2005, 05:17 AM)
If I remember correctly, Artificer was stated to use such dungeons as it's material body when it wasn't hanging on the Astral plane.  Anybody recall if it manifested the dungeon's as it's physical body or if it "possessed" them to enter the physical plane?

You don't, not quite. It was a giant contraption looking vaguely like a metal armadillo with gears, spikes, wheels, etc. projecting from it, though it rarely appeared in physical form. What it did was burrowed through and created the dungeon through some innate power; it at no point possessed the dungeon. However, it did maintain a link to them and fed off of the suffering of those injured within. The wounds are apparently far more lasting than would be expected, defying even magical healing; there's an account of an Adept who got her leg crushed in a trap and who still feels it and walks with a limp to this day (well, the day Horrors was written at least) despite having access to healing magic powerful enough to reattach limbs.

~J
BookWyrm
Well, I think that, One: all of the Grimtooth's Traps books are an excellent read, even if you've never played any kind of medieval RPG. They range from the embarrassing to the downright lethal (and beyond), and are meant as examples of what truly sick & twisted minds can create. Two: While most of them are impractical to have in a corporate scenario, there are other ways to 'get' the PCs. Some of the Sci-Fi items in Traps Lite & Infernal Machines in Traps Bazzare are designed for more contemporary or post-modern games. And, Three: there are other fiendish devices that already exist that you can adapt to SR. Lightbulb bombs that detonate when you flick the wall switch, monowire tripwire explosives, or simple lockdowns that are triggered when the password isn't entered.

It all depends on what mood the GM's in.
Weredigo

Oh no way in heaven, hell, or on earth would I condone such violent actions towards children nor use such in my game.
vapor
QUOTE (Weredigo)

Oh no way in heaven, hell, or on earth would I condone such violent actions towards children nor use such in my game.

why not? they make cheap land mine detecters...

wink.gif
Weredigo
Because Adults scream louder, leave a definitive goopier mess, and deserved it...
vapor
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Because Adults scream louder, leave a definitive goopier mess, and deserved it...

but kids work for a lot less.

mmmmmmm child labor.....
Weredigo
Null point chummer, corpses don't pick up paychecks
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Null point chummer, corpses don't pick up paychecks

Juan Atzcapotzalco managed to pick up a bequest, so that may not be the best of assumptions.

~J
John Campbell
If you can't get a corpse to pick up a paycheck, you clearly need a better decker.
Weredigo
why not? they make cheap land mine detecters...
There's a good use for those turtles I was thinking about... why use a landmine detector that only works once... why not one that works numerous times... just dikote the shells...
Sandoval Smith
But for that you need to find a turtle that can survive being inserted into a plasma generating blast furnace. And if they can survive that, why bother dikoting them, since there's no way a mere mine can hurt them. The big problem with this plan though, is that turtles, even indestructible ones are quite slow.

Plod...plod...plod...BOOM! plod...plod...plod...plod...plod...plod...BOOM!
SirKodiak
Lightbulb bombs that detonate when you flick the wall switch

"We really have to stop storing these in the maintenance closet next to the normal lightbulbs."
KaOs
QUOTE (John Campbell)
If you can't get a corpse to pick up a paycheck, you clearly need a better decker.

This is totaly going in my sig.
DocMortand
I do agree, most of the traps in the Grimtooth books aren't useable in SR - but there are a few. The elevator traps interested me for later use (makes for good security to have traps for unwanted people)

Actually, this has a secondary plot thread which I would like to bring up (which might interest Lina as well, as Angel builds her Koresh Compound) - and that is mines. How futuristic have people gotten with mine technology?

An example to bring up goes from ancient tech (Bouncing Betty from WWII) to more SR vintage (monowire tripwire activated bombs...first the insult of getting sliced by the monowire, then the further injury of detonating the bomb) to true sci-fi (John Ringo did a neat force bomb where a box created a monomolecular "plane of force" which sliced 360 degrees around the plane...so combine that with a bouncing betty and you got people being cut in half...and the bloody mine had 6 charges, so it reset itself!)

I dunno if the last example is possible in SR (altho could it be done with a magic triggered bomb?) but what are some examples people have used or seen in their games? Again, I ask for the mechanics - what perception/agility/athletic TN#s were necessary to avoid the mine, how would you disarm it, etc.

There might be some good mines in Grimtooth as well...I've only read the first two, so those who have the rest might chime in with better ones, or suggest good combos of magic and mine.

Afterall...a mine is a terrible thing to waste.

*listens for retching*
Weredigo
The big problem with this plan though, is that turtles, even indestructible ones are quite slow.

Ah, but "Awakened" High Speed turtlesas suggested in the Rats thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012