Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun: Cyberpunk and what's next?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Demonseed Elite
The mentioning in the other thread about Shadowrun being "furry" got me thinking. Long ago, Shadowrun was a spin off the cyberpunk genre, complete with its typical elements of dehumanizing technology, faceless megacorporations, edgy yakuza, chrome, leather, and cyberdecks. Since then, the authors of the cyberpunk genre, people like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, have said that cyberpunk is a literary genre of the past, less relevent in the modern age and having suffered from its elements being commercialized (Shadowrun, interestingly enough, being an element of that commercialization).

Since then, those authors, as well as others, have moved into what they call "post-cyberpunk" and "slipstream" literature. Post-cyberpunk has many elements of the cyberpunk genre, but its characters are usually less dehumanized and more an integral part of an evolving world. Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age is seen as a good example of post-cyberpunk literature. Slipstream literature is usually rooted in the existing real life day, but with a fantastical twist of some sort. Books like William Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties or Tad William's Otherland books are seen as slipstream, as well as most of Bruce Sterling's recent books.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that when I sit and look at it, it seems to me like Shadowrun is picking up these fundamental changes, intentionally or not, and it is shaping the game. Technology has become less dehumanizing in Shadowrun; most players don't use cyberware to make their characters "inhuman" but are leaning towards more unobtrusive 'ware or bioware. Decking moves more towards "Matrix-on-the-go" and working deckers into mainstream play, as opposed to seperating them into their own isolated world.

What about the faceless megacorporations? Well, I'd argue they've become less faceless. The corporations have been linked to "personalities", either in the corporation itself or in key celebrity figures in the corporation (Richard Villiers, Damien Knight, Lofwyr, etc.). In addition, the overwhelming power of the "Big Eight" has not only been expanded to ten, but has been eroded by an increased focusing on smaller corporations and the entire corporate world as a business ecology.

Elements like yakuza, chrome, leather, and cyberdecks are fading away into a myriad mass of evolving ideas. The yakuza are one of many; not only in the criminal element of SR, but now so much of the game also revolves around organizations people form to fulfill a role in the global society. The Draco Foundation, Yucatan rebels, the New Revolution, the Roman Catholic Church, etc. The world is not run entirely by megacorporations anymore. Icons like chrome and leather and cyberdeck cables have turned into orksploitation, neo-tribalism, and the Wireless Matrix Initiative.

The world of Shadowrun is looking more like our own real world with a fantastical twist, like Slipstream literature. It's even moving towards mimicking elements in the real world, like wireless technology or genetic engineering, in exchange for sticking to traditional cyberpunk elements. Shadowrunners have moved away from being dehumanized, obsolete humanity railing against a corrupt social order and more towards an underground, but necessary, facet of 2064's social order who help define the world, even if that isn't their goal. Just look at how many of the recent events in Shadowrun's world were influenced by the actions of shadowrunners. They are far from being cut out of the world; their strings pulled by faceless megacorps. The world of Shadowrun is populated by hundreds, if not thousands, of communities based on various ideals that form an ecology in the world, more like The Diamond Age's phyles or Snow Crash's franchised institutions than Neuromancer's faceless, monolithic megacorps. Even Shadowrun's recent horrors, like the Renraku Arcology shutdown, were an optimistic view of technology (the ideal of a perfectly-run and user-friendly arcology) turned horribly wrong by the frailities of humanity (religious otaku cults and an AI who seeks basic "human" rights).

And when you factor in magic, Shadowrun's truly fantastical twist on an otherwise very "realistic" world, it's mostly a humanizing factor, not a dehumanizing one. Magic empowers the individual, is based on communal ideas of schools and religions, and brings people together in ritual and ceremony as opposed to the cyberpunk idea of technology seperating people and dehumanizing them.

Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of the idea that Shadowrun is drifting from cyberpunk ideals, because even cyberpunk has drifted from cyberpunk ideals. I think it's more interesting to talk about what Shadowrun might become in light of these literary and social changes.
Ancient History
Ah, c'mon DE. Throw a little John Shirley in there, hit the roots rather than the tree.

Seriously, we're rapidly reaching the end of definative trends and styles in literature. The Mirrorshades group has moved up and out, and so has everyone else, just like music is no longer "Rock n'Roll." So maybe SR is a little less punk and a little more like the future as it would be today. It's grown up a little. I think that's all to the good.
Demonseed Elite
I'd definitely include John Shirley in the whole phenomenon. He's one of the fundamental (if not the fundamental) cyberpunk author, and even his recent works reflect the changes that have gone on in the genre.

And yeah, I agree that SR is growing up and that it's a good thing, and that the players should struggle less with Shadowrun's moving away from cyberpunk ideals and focus more on what Shadowrun should be from here.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Ancient History)
So maybe SR is a little less punk and a little more like the future as it would be today. It's grown up a little. I think that's all to the good.

World without end, amen.
nezumi
Good way of putting it, DE. I've looked back on CP2020 and the like, and really, the games seem to lose their appeal fast. I don't share the dreams or fears they try to capture. While I do enjoy putting my shadowrunners in that sort of position occaisionally, the fact is it is becoming more 'slip stream', and those are the stories they seem to appreciate more.

Nevertheless, it does bring a tear to my eye. Our little boy is getting all grown up! *sniff* I'll miss you, silly +1 to impact leather armor, and you too mister mullet guy fighting all the ghouls.

*sigh*
Demonseed Elite
Nevertheless, it does bring a tear to my eye. Our little boy is getting all grown up! *sniff* I'll miss you, silly +1 to impact leather armor, and you too mister mullet guy fighting all the ghouls.

That made me laugh out loud, because I completely empathize. Even though it's not the direction of the game I associate with anymore and feel is natural, I also miss the days of leather-clad razorgirls and the guy with one bright chrome cyberarm. nyahnyah.gif
GentlemanLoser
You mean Billy CromeArm? nyahnyah.gif
Jrayjoker
IIRC part of the reason SR3 has moved away from the bitter disenfranchisement of cyberpunk is because the people who GMed it and played it had a significant impact on the development of the game. Part of 3rd Ed's intro actually credits the evolution to input from GMs and players of the previous two editions.

Frankly I am very pleased that the world view has changed from the anti-utopian feel of cyberpunk to a more credible future-fantasy with all the inherent difficulties that the changes have wrought.

I could never get into the pure cyberpunk world in part because it took a lot more energy than I was willing to expend to remain bitter and disenfranchised for an entire gaming session. I guess that is why I couldn't stay Goth that long either. spin.gif
Birdy
Looking at the trends both in Shadowrun, roleplaying in general and literature:

+ They go further down the "Your either a mage or you're useless" road

+ SR get's another FeyFantasy with guns POS

Birdy
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Birdy)

Birdy

I think you are limiting the genre a bit too much with that post...Sure mages are great, but almost all runs are accomplished by teams, and everyone is important in their role.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Feb 8 2005, 08:56 AM)
They are far from being cut out of the world; their strings pulled by faceless megacorps.  The world of Shadowrun is populated by hundreds, if not thousands, of communities based on various ideals that form an ecology in the world, more like The Diamond Age's phyles or Snow Crash's franchised institutions than Neuromancer's faceless, monolithic megacorps.

I just want to say that this was inevitable.

You can write a novel, or even a couple of novels which protray the whole cyberpunk reality, and it works as long as you don't stare at it long enough.

When you're producing a coherent product line comprised of nearly 75 sourcebooks plus another couple dozen novels over 15 years into a period when "Dark Future" begins to blend into "Alternative Earth" there's no way you could ever maintain that illusion.

I consider this to be a remarkably candid statement by Nigel Findley, in Aztlan (Sorry, no page number. I ripped it off AH's site):

:::::[THE BIG 'D'] We, all of us here and others, have striven to weaken the hold of faith on the human heart for generations, so that when magic returned they might be more open to it and embrace it more quickly.  I believe we have made a terrible mistake.

You can't realistically do things to the world that the world doesn't want done. The idea that faith would ever go away is why I never bought into the whole cyberpunk genre. I've been done that road IRL. Why the hell should I treat fictitious elements as entertainment?

You want to know where I see SR going? It's turning Green, and turning towards liberalism which is getting kicked around in the U.S. The neo-anarchists were left-wing Eurostyle anarchists in my mind. But when you read some of the SR3 materials, you can read into it that while the cops are even bigger bastards that IRL, things are more liberal--which goes against the whole idea of a world dominated by a hyperconservative Japanese zeitgeist. Just read the section Love Without Boundaries in Sprawl Survival Guide and tell me that there isn't a liberal bias shifting SR towards a more Progressive-style setting, or that there isn't something weird when a country like the UCAS can be anti-magic, in many parts anti-meta, anti-Indian, and generally one of the most hate-filled places on the planet yet still permits gay marriage according to SoNA (I wonder if it wasn't something personal to one of that chapter's authors).

QUOTE (Birdy)

Birdy

proof.gif
Xirces
I think that the whole notion of Cyberpunk and thus SR (still) is that the protaganists of the story (ie, the players) should be fighting against the extremes of (current, modern day, RL) society as projected into a future world where everything is much worse. Back in the 80s it seemed like the future would either be CP (Japanacorps, big brother etc) or some sort of post-apocalypic thing. It just looks a bit naive now.

Look at what's shaping our world today - big government *in conjunction with* big corps - American/Western corruption, control of citizens, the environment, the media - some of the themes are the same, but look how things are different and project forward 60 years, toss in magic and stir well...

When SR was writtten I'd never used the Internet - I had no idea of what a multinational information source (like the matrix) could do - even just the simple act of discussing a SR sourcebook was impossible beyond your immediate friends. There was no notion of information sharing in that way, controls been handed on down from the music and cinema industries fighting for their lives. Anyone in their late teens/early twenties now cannot imagine just how different the world is, in so many ways.

In some ways we've lived through the revolution, but there's still a fight - good SciFi literature should point us to where we'll be and what will happen and beyond all else - SR is good scifi literature.

(that probably made more sense to me. Flu remedies and wine don't mix.)
Nath
Transporting the cyberpunk genre in Seattle in 1989 ought to naturally result in something with lighter tone, that we could have appropriately called "cybergrunge" wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Xirces)
I think that the whole notion of Cyberpunk and thus SR (still) is that the protaganists of the story (ie, the players) should be fighting against the extremes of (current, modern day, RL) society as projected into a future world where everything is much worse. Back in the 80s it seemed like the future would either be CP (Japanacorps, big brother etc) or some sort of post-apocalypic thing. It just looks a bit naive now.

The idea of corps controlling everything sound cool until reality sets in and you're old enough to realize that it's not in their best interests to be responsible for picking up the trash and paving the roads.

Flu remedies and wine don't mix.

That depends on what the desired effect is.
The Grifter
and you too mister mullet guy fighting all the ghouls.

Don't make me go on a rant about that picture again. LOL
hahnsoo
The central themes behind cyberpunk are mostly relevant in Shadowrun, although I agree that Shadowrun is more of an alternate history (similar to historical fiction novels) than traditional cyberpunk. The main themes are Man's inhumanity to Man, the dehumanization of Humanity through the ravages of poverty, industrialization, and social injustice, and the meaning of consciousness. Themes like these also are found in literature in the early 1900s (books like "The Jungle" and to some extent, the Communist Manifesto) born out of the industrial revolution, but Information Age technology adds a new wrinkle to the whole equation. These themes are still relevant in Shadowrun, perhaps even more so than in traditional cyberpunk because it is based on the trappings of a real world and the introduction of magic not as a panacea, but as another way that "technology" contributes to societal injustice (as the arguments over at the Adepts of SOTA 2064 thread suggest) and dehumanization.
Crimsondude 2.0
What's this "justice" thing you speak of?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Actually, it's societal injustice, and I was using it as a meme rather than as an abstract concept. It's a convenient rubrick for any/all ways we can beat down on our fellow man because we like power.
Edward
Part of this evolution is the logical extension of a true cyberpunk world given human nature and intelegent corporate operatives.

A faceless megacorperation is going to be preserved distant and hurtful buy the public, this will damage the bottom line so they present a public face. And while it is true that shadowruners have influenced major events that is usually one very lucky group of runners in the rite place at the right time. very rarely can a runner choose to do something that truly affects a megacorp.

As to the move to les obvious ware this to is a logical evolution, most runners prefer not to be seen or to be seen and ignored, this is a lot harder with a shiny creme cyber arm, ask a navy seal to carry a dozen mirrors on the outside of his gear on a mission and what is he going to say. I would have liked to see cyber arms be ether cheaper or stronger so they have something to offer over muscle toner and booster but t the least they should be vaguely flesh toned and coverable with a shirt (even the obvious ones) to get away from the shiny thing giving away your location problems.

Faith can never disappear, especially in a downtrodden population. What people have faith in can change but belief in something good and greater than yourself is the only way to stay relatively sane when there is no hope of bettering your situation and the only step don is somebody steals your box (I say relatively sain as arguably faith is a delusion depending on wether r not your right, and they cant all be right).

I think it makes much more sense as it is in SR

Edward
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 8 2005, 07:14 PM)

Actually, it's societal injustice, and I was using it as a meme rather than as an abstract concept. It's a convenient rubrick for any/all ways we can beat down on our fellow man because we like power.

Indeed, but injustice implies a lack of something, i.e. justice. That's all I meant.

That and to joke about how I don't believe in justice.
Crimson Jack
I love the evolution of the game. Couldn't be happier. I cringed a bit when I read about SURGE, but its a flavor thing really and there are plenty of elements of the game that I only use when I need to.

The point about the metallic shiny arm thing is both funny yet understandable. It only takes a few hundred dead street sams before the next generation realizes that low-key is better than flashy, for running. Its a logical progression.

I found that "furry" comment an unusual way to describe the evolution of the game btw.
Paul
CD2.0 said most of what I would have, but I'll come backlater to say more. Work is soon, so my time is pressed.

Growing up doesn't mean you have to stop being cool, or that you run out of ideas.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Paul)
Growing up doesn't mean you have to stop being cool, or that you run out of ideas.

Are you implying that the game writers have run out of ideas or quit making it cool?
DarusGrey
The idea of corps controlling everything sound cool until reality sets in and you're old enough to realize that it's not in their best interests to be responsible for picking up the trash and paving the roads.

This is somewhat true and untrue at the same time, corporations are a funny beast, we consider them entities despite the fact that they are not beings at all, but despite having no physical manisfestations a corporation *can* have desires, goals, ambitions.

In the end though..the desires of a corporation are molded and implemented by us humans, humans desire power in general.

Now...part of a corpration's goal is to create dependance, on a product, a substance, a brand, a method.
This is very apparent in modern society, things like TVs, electricity, phones, are considered "nessecities" (both in common view and in many cases law), despite the fact that we as humans could easily survive without them(and many people often lose PRIME nessecities , shelter in particular, in thier pursuit of perceived ones).

When you have dependance, you have customers.
In a SRish example where a corporate worker is also a citizen of respective corp, this is one of the ultimate cases of dependancy, the worker works his life away for the corp, only to spend that money on corp products, services, and commodities.

In this example, "cleaning the streets" is a VERY small price to pay for what is essentially a legion of addicted consumer workers who provide the company with obscene levels of profitability.
(It costs the corp no money to keep them employed, they're getting back..say 80% of the money they give the employee to begin with via consumerism, well the employee still maintains thier profitability outside the corporatiom, as in, they're working to make the corp profits, when you take this to a scale of millions of employees...security, housing, roads..are a small price and *is* in the corp's best interests)

In SR, the corporations end goal is to consume society and become a self sustaining beast whos only purpose is to feed off humanity in a system it created whos only purpose is to keep it alive.

Sorta scary now that I think about it in too much detail..hah.
Pistons
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (Paul @ Feb 8 2005, 05:25 PM)

Are you implying that the game writers have run out of ideas or quit making it cool?

I don't think that's what he was implying. And even if so, I can refute at least one of those -- none of us have run out of ideas, and there's an ever-refreshing pool of writers. smile.gif As for whether it's cool or not? Purely perceptual. Evidently we like what we've done, but we also know that not everyone else is going to share that opinion. C'est la vie.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I love the evolution of the game. Couldn't be happier. I cringed a bit when I read about SURGE, but its a flavor thing really and there are plenty of elements of the game that I only use when I need to.

You know, I don't mind SURGE in the books because it's vague, and IRL because I know of only one PC who underwent it in the very beginning. Since then, no one seems to even acknowledge its existence.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (DarusGrey)
This is somewhat true and untrue at the same time, corporations are a funny beast, we consider them entities despite the fact that they are not beings at all, but despite having no physical manisfestations a corporation *can* have desires, goals, ambitions.

In the end though..the desires of a corporation are molded and implemented by us humans, humans desire power in general.

Now...part of a corpration's goal is to create dependance, on a product, a substance, a brand, a method.
This is very apparent in modern society, things like TVs, electricity, phones, are considered "nessecities" (both in common view and in many cases law), despite the fact that we as humans could easily survive without them(and many people often lose PRIME nessecities , shelter in particular, in thier pursuit of perceived ones).

When you have dependance, you have customers.
In a SRish example where a corporate worker is also a citizen of respective corp, this is one of the ultimate cases of dependancy, the worker works his life away for the corp, only to spend that money on corp products, services, and commodities.

In this example, "cleaning the streets" is a VERY small price to pay for what is essentially a legion of addicted consumer workers who provide the company with obscene levels of profitability.
(It costs the corp no money to keep them employed, they're getting back..say 80% of the money they give the employee to begin with via consumerism, well the employee still maintains thier profitability outside the corporatiom, as in, they're working to make the corp profits, when you take this to a scale of millions of employees...security, housing, roads..are a small price and *is* in the corp's best interests)

In SR, the corporations end goal is to consume society and become a self sustaining beast whos only purpose is to feed off humanity in a system it created whos only purpose is to keep it alive.

Sorta scary now that I think about it in too much detail..hah.

No. They're citizens without the right to vote.

But what I meant was that a handful of corporations are not going to control every aspect of life, ever. Even if the government subcontracts the garbage service to a corp (like they do 2 miles from my house), they are not ultimately responsible for every aspect of people's lives, i.e. trash pickup. Corps will not engage in activity which is not profitable. Replacing governments is generally not profitable (PCC notwithstanding), whereas contracting out government services (clearly) is.
DarusGrey
Yes, but my point is given the oppurtunity(via at least in SR, several major rulings and circumstances), it *is* profitable to a corporation to control people's lives, *especially* thier employees, who they get an immense ROI on in that situation.
Same reason most companies include health benefits and such to employees, it isn't directly profitable, but in the big picture it benefits the beast.

Fictional example:

you pay joe wage-slave $100,000 a year, we'll assume he maintains a standard 1-1.7 rate of return a fairly standard figure by today's standards at least(aka, for the $100,000 a year you pay joe, his work generates on average $170,000 for the company, gross, not net).

He lives in corp housing, eats corp food, shops at the corporate store, etc.

Lets assume he spends 100% of his income and relies on some corporate 401k for his retirement.

$80,000(80% I previously stated, probly lowball) a year he spends on corp produced goods/services.

Most retail products/services maintian a 4:1 profit to cost ratio for retail, and the same for manufacturering (it costs $5 to make, you sell it to walmart for $20, who in turn sells is to you, the consumer, for $80).

Since hes spending his 80% on corp goods/services from the corp, they get the very good 16:1 return, maybe %10 off for some employee discount plan or something, but won't confuse the math at this point for that.

So, if the $100,000 a year they pay joe , he returns $70,000 to the company in productivity, *and* 75,000 a year in profits off sales.

Meaning the company is in reality paying him absolutley nothing to do his job.

Services like garbage pickup ($15 per week), water ($30/w), administrative($100 annual), security ($3,000 annual) even if the corporation paid for his housing a bills ($1200/m)(though this is unlikley..plus sourcebooks mention they give the housing at discounted rates in the few examples).

These costs are far over-exceeded by the money joe brings back into the fold by being under the corp's thumb.

If joe was "outside the fold" then its likley only about 30% or less of his income might see its way back to the corporation.

Again, if given the option, it is *very* much in the corporations interest to basically run people's lives, like many things, theres no direct profit, but any aspiring accountant can easily figure out this would be a huge profit getter as standard policy ;>.

(I'm pretty sure my costs are mostly accurate based on current RL costs, though I can't account for the vast volume and such a AAA corp could in theory use to affect the numbers, chances are they're very over-stated in this scenario, as well as the fact that said corp only has to pay cost(+oppurtunity) for services/goods it creates in the application of living condition maintenance).
Paul
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Feb 8 2005, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (Paul @ Feb 8 2005, 05:25 PM)

No. I was continuing Demonseed Elites metaphor.

And yeah, I agree that SR is growing up and that it's a good thing, and that the players should struggle less with Shadowrun's moving away from cyberpunk ideals and focus more on what Shadowrun should be from here.

From his second post. I agree it's a good thing for the game to grow-I just don't necassarily agree it has always grown in the right direction or used the right methods to grow.

I do agree that we need to focus on what the game is from here, since I can't just change continuity. It's just that the areas I would look at would, obviously, differ from what DE might. Now as I write this I will clarify my own postion to myself, as well as you.

Also by disagreeing with DE, I am not heaping blame at his door, or assuming she is the root of all evil here. I am simplely posting a different view point.

Since then, the authors of the cyberpunk genre, people like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, have said that cyberpunk is a literary genre of the past, less relevent in the modern age and having suffered from its elements being commercialized (Shadowrun, interestingly enough, being an element of that commercialization).

And to a certain degree I agree. I don't think they are cmpletely correct though. Some of these elements are just as important today as they were 2000 years ago, let alone 20.

The relation between man and society, man and machines-the struggle for identity will always be a part of the human process. Alienation and social stratification are always going to exsist. They are part of what make the game so damn powerful to me.

I think we need to capitolize on the games roots and future better.

Since then, those authors, as well as others, have moved into what they call "post-cyberpunk" and "slipstream" literature.

I may be the only guy here who doesn't care if Wiliam Gibson is the founding father of cyper punk, or if Neal Stephenson says we're in the new age. Now I understand that some people think they have stuff to say, and that's fine-I am not denying they have opinions. I will say they don't have the market cornered.

I've got plenty of opinions on the state of affairs.

Technology has become less dehumanizing in Shadowrun; most players don't use cyberware to make their characters "inhuman" but are leaning towards more unobtrusive 'ware or bioware.

Then I disagree with what you say is inhuman. Unobtrusively being loaded with 3 points of cyberware is still as dehumanizing as three points of obvious wares. That technology is being utilized better in a more socially acceptable fashion (If that's even true in the 6th world.) does't mean that we've suddenly accepted this as standard practice, or even if we have that doesn't mean some how we retain our "Humanity".

All of that wetware has an effect. If your street sam suddenly gets a new piece of ware and avoids bullets less, is he not a little less connected to the real world than Joe average? I can't take a bullet and laugh, that's for sure.

Decking moves more towards "Matrix-on-the-go" and working deckers into mainstream play, as opposed to seperating them into their own isolated world.

And here is a case of the game world not being a good enough mirror of what the sixth world would be, because of difficult and hindersome rules. Face it seperating the party is tough for a skilled GM. Decking isn't easy, it's a drawn out and complicated process on the best of days. let alone on its worse.

But just because we as players can't utilize the game in this fahion well doesn't mean that when we write the game we should give up on this concept or some how write it out.

What about the faceless megacorporations? Well, I'd argue they've become less faceless.

I agree thsi has happened, and I think it is a mistake. In my ow game they remain faceless. None of my players have ever met Damien Knight, or encountered a dragon. And we're cool with that. Because in our game those players in the game of life move in circles far above my players. f they were to meet those people it would be under cirumstances so drastic as to be life changing fo them. (How often do people get to really meet the president? I think of it sort of the same way.)

The yakuza are one of many; not only in the criminal element of SR, but now so much of the game also revolves around organizations people form to fulfill a role in the global society.

I like that we explore these groups, but I don't see their function in the same way.

The Draco Foundation, Yucatan rebels, the New Revolution, the Roman Catholic Church, etc. The world is not run entirely by megacorporations anymore.

A mistake in some ways, but realistic. I don't think these groups change the near absolute grip Mega's have on the world. After all how much economic clout does the DF have? Still not enough to directly compete with Aztechnology in my opinion.

I think we just run different games here.

And when you factor in magic, Shadowrun's truly fantastical twist on an otherwise very "realistic" world, it's mostly a humanizing factor, not a dehumanizing one.

I guess that depends on how you run your game. I don't see it in the same way you do, which decking, rigging, and nearly anything could fit into in my opinion.

Magic empowers the individual, is based on communal ideas of schools

You're serious? we fundamentally view not only the game world differently but the real one apparently too. Since when has any ritual, religion or ideal connected more than segments of a society?
Paul
Okay I ca't figure out why my post is fuxxored.
mfb
you have to note who's being quoted. {quote=mfb}blah blah.{/quote} replace the {} with [], obviously.
Nath
Nah, you don't need to specify a name. I think it's only because he mispelled on that one, at the beginning:

"[QOUTE]And yeah, I agree that SR is growing up and that it's a good thing, and that the players should struggle less with Shadowrun's moving away from cyberpunk ideals and focus more on what Shadowrun should be from here. [/QUOTE] "
Demonseed Elite
Paul, you're interpreting some of my opinions too far. I don't have anyone in my games interact with Damien Knight or Lofwyr or anything. They never get that close. But in the game world, when a megacorporation does something now, it's usually attributed to a personality. Damien Knight is going for this, or Lofwyr wants that. It's not very faceless. The corporations seem to have distinct faces more than just "Ares."

And the relationship between man and technology is still immensely important, just different. In the game world of Shadowrun, people seem less alienated and dehumanized by technology and more adept at working technology into humanity or adapting humanity to technology in a synergystic fashion. Which reflects our current real life views about technology and how they have changed since the 80s. In the 80s, America was losing jobs to Japanese zaibatsus and was worried about acid rain and greenhouse effect from industrial pollution. That went to American dot-commers living it up and a cellphone, iPod, and hybrid car for every man, woman, and child. We've come to accept, even shape, our relationship with technology. If there's an underlying anxiety now, it's in extremist and fundamentalist groups utilizing our technological society against us in terrorism. Which has crept into Shadowrun in interesting ways (what is the Renraku Arcology situation if not an originally-optimistic technological infrastructure being usurped by fanatics?).

Personal views about religion aside, Shadowrun has never stressed a dehumanizing factor in magic. Pretty much the opposite, with its focus on neo-tribalism or the integration of mages into society through corporations. There's a whole lotta communal activity in Shadowrun magic, from an economy of traded foci and formulae, to magical initiatory groups, to a shaman communing with their totem.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Personal views about religion aside, Shadowrun has never stressed a dehumanizing factor in magic. Pretty much the opposite, with its focus on neo-tribalism or the integration of mages into society through corporations. There's a whole lotta communal activity in Shadowrun magic, from an economy of traded foci and formulae, to magical initiatory groups, to a shaman communing with their totem.

Cybermancy? Blood Magic? Bugs (specifically, the Universal Brotherhood)? Corporate Wagemages? Dragon/IE overlords with hidden agendas? The Great Ghost Dance (the magical equivalent of nuclear weapons)? Secret conspiratorial magic societies (Illuminates of the New Dawn, half of the folks in Threats)? Not to mention considerable latent racism against the new metahuman races (remember, Brackhaven almost won the UCAS election). While I'm not discounting your view that magic has beneficial effects in the Sixth World, it also has had a deletorious effect on humanity as well. Magic is just another tool for people to inflict destruction and injustice on other people, just as technology is just a tool for better or for worse. More people are scared of magic than embracing it in the Sixth World, and rightly so. Magic has also "marked" those who practice it with crosshairs... remember the adage "Geek the mage first?"

There are a number of ways that Magic is portrayed as beneficial and as dehumanizing. I think this is the way it should be... this isn't "World of Darkness", where Magic is ONLY used by the powerful to maintain their power, nor is it some sort of happy fun fairy land like Narnia where magic can only do (mostly) good. Shadowrun takes the concept of Magic and couches it in realistic terms, which is part of why the setting is so compelling.
Demonseed Elite
Cybermancy? Blood Magic? Bugs (specifically, the Universal Brotherhood)? Corporate Wagemages? Dragon/IE overlords with hidden agendas?

Most of these things aren't common knowledge to the people of the Sixth World. And corporate wagemages? Most shadowrunners might scoff at the lifestyle, but most normal people don't. Being a wagemage is virtually easy street.

There is some prejudice against magic, but it certainly doesn't seem pervasive in Shadowrun. Dunkelzahn was elected president of the UCAS, afterall, and he's a millenia-old giant lizard who could melt your brain with a thought. And he got in on a message that couldn't really be described as anything but optimistic and inclusive, even in a cynical world like SR. Maybe his message was all a lie, but it must have been a comforting lie.

Besides, that's partially my point. In cyberpunk, it wasn't about the application of technology (or in SR's case, magic). It was that technology, itself, and the culture it creates, was a dehumanizing force. Neither technology nor magic, nor the societies they create, is really a dehumanizing force in Shadowrun now, it comes down to who is using it and how. Which is more in line with our views as a society today, in real life, as opposed to say, the 80s.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Most of these things aren't common knowledge to the people of the Sixth World. And corporate wagemages? Most shadowrunners might scoff at the lifestyle, but most normal people don't. Being a wagemage is virtually easy street.

And that's exactly why mundanes are afraid and jealous of magic... corporate wagemages are in positions of power and high salaries, by virtue of a single talent that only 1 in 100 possess. It is like the resentment common middle-class/lower-class people have against doctors, politicians, and lawyers (who comprise less than 1 in 100 of the population) and other high paying professions... the feeling that "I'm poor because these fat cats are rich and they are taking all of my money". Also, prejudice against magic has a subset of prejudice against the metahuman races, which is one of the single biggest culture shock factors of the Sixth World.

I'm in agreement with the notion that magic and technology aren't universally dehumanizing, realistically... well-written cyberpunk shows both sides of the story, with a focus on "the gutterpunk looking upwards". But both elements CAN and ARE dehumanizing in some cases, and Shadowrun still carries those themes, and those themes are, in fact, some of the more compelling things about the setting as a whole. Shadowrun just does it with a holistic and wide-angle POV rather than from the narrow POV from the streets.
Garland
I think magic can be a little dehumanising, on the shamanic side of things. You've got people striving to emulate their totem, be it Snake, Crab, Fenrir, etc. Some of these totems can lead to some pretty bizarre people, especially if things get played up. And then there are toxic shamans...
Crimsondude 2.0
They strive to live up to the principles of their totems, not emulate them.
Rev
Company towns have existed, and do exist now. Places where the corporation owns the land, the houses, the furniture, everyone works for the corporation, etc. Throw in a company controlled pension you loose if you quit and the corporation might as well own the person after a couple decades.

I actually find the snow crash style of things more plausible than the company town model, and very compatible with the old feeling of shadowrun. People living prepackaged lifestyles in corporate owned neighborhoods. This is actually a reasonably large business for disney today. They have at least a few such "towns" where people are living their whole lives in the disney bubble. The big trend in malls today is supposedly the "town center" which is physically modeled after a real small downtown, but without the civil rights and with a bunch of huge parking lots next-door. Throw in a bunch of cross promotion, incentives, etc then transfer the tribalism many americans today feel about thier government to their corporation and it is very easy to see a large swath of people interacting primarily with one corporation. I knew quite a few people who were ridiculously loving of thier corporations during the 90's when they all expected to get rich from them. Sheesh talk to somebody who works at microsoft for years (not somebody who leaves, somebody who stays), it can get extreemly creepy.
Paul
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Paul, you're interpreting some of my opinions too far. I don't have anyone in my games interact with Damien Knight or Lofwyr or anything.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply your game specifically. I apologize for using you as my whipping boy/girl. (Sorry I honestly have no idea what your gender is, and have been too lazty until this point to ask. I believe you are male, am I wrong? smile.gif )

It was my intent to say that sometime the material presented in the books is meant more as a snap shot of a small part of the sith world. It is not, I think the writers intent to be all inclusive, but rather to set themes for us, the players, to draw from.

My problem is themeatic, not a specific section of writing (Usually. I admit to my own personal pet peeves.) or specific author.

But in the game world, when a megacorporation does something now, it's usually attributed to a personality.  Damien Knight is going for this, or Lofwyr wants that.  It's not very faceless.  The corporations seem to have distinct faces more than just "Ares."

I agree with this asessment completely. I agree with you. I do think that's a bad move on the games part as a whole. That's why I don't emphasize those parts of the game in my own game. I am betting your game may be similar, but even if it isn't as long as you're having fun who am I to really criticize?

The golden rule for me is do what's fun. My group just has a weird idea of fun. (Think Ronin meets the hopeless feel of the end of Dawn of the Dead with a Pulp Fiction tyle narrative, and you got our game. Yeah I said Tarantino. smile.gif )

And the relationship between man and technology is still immensely important, just different.  In the game world of Shadowrun, people seem less alienated and dehumanized by technology and more adept at working technology into humanity or adapting humanity to technology in a synergystic fashion.  Which reflects our current real life views about technology and how they have changed since the 80s.

Now see, and I am having fun dwelving off like this DE (Best conversation I have had all week. Period.), I see it differently. I think we are, as awhole, even more isolated and alienated. Alone. How many people turn to the internet for their interaction these days? How many of us get the lions share of our socialization through machines?

Automated banking, and more, have allowed us to remove the (wo)man from business. I can live athome, telecommute, order groceries to be delivered, with direct deposit to pay on my check card, buy my moie tickets from automated teller- the list goes on. I can have even less human interaction than any other time in human history.

I think this would be evenworse in the sixth world. A situation exacerbated by the sixth worlds many disconnects-magic, the matrix, rigging. Man is now closer with the tools he uses than at any other time in history-imagine what the sixth world would be like?

That's my view point.

In the 80s, America was losing jobs to Japanese zaibatsus and was worried about acid rain and greenhouse effect from industrial pollution.  That went to American dot-commers living it up and a cellphone, iPod, and hybrid car for every man, woman, and child.  We've come to accept, even shape, our relationship with technology.

What you see as acceptance I see slightly differently. For me it's the difference betwen saying Okay and Mea Culpa. Society seems to have given in at points, as if Machines have dictated our future. How many people do you know, or does any one her eknow that live on their cell phones, their schedule dictated by it, or by their job?

If there's an underlying anxiety now, it's in extremist and fundamentalist groups utilizing our technological society against us in terrorism.

I think that misses a lot of things. I know a lot, A LOT of people who don't own computers because they're afraid of them or don't understand them. Technology has alienated all sorts of people-how much of th world actually has access to computers? To the internet? Technology is the privilege of those witht he money to have it.

Which has crept into Shadowrun in interesting ways (what is the Renraku Arcology situation if not an originally-optimistic technological infrastructure being usurped by fanatics?).

Agreed.

Personal views about religion aside, Shadowrun has never stressed a dehumanizing factor in magic.  Pretty much the opposite, with its focus on neo-tribalism or the integration of mages into society through corporations.  There's a whole lotta communal activity in Shadowrun magic, from an economy of traded foci and formulae, to magical initiatory groups, to a shaman communing with their totem.

Which I think is the writers loss. Think of how mundanes must feel? Magic is this X factor. This unexplainable X factor that just shows up at random, no socioeconomic factors that can be controled, no heritage or genetics that can be reliablely screend for.

It'd be like winning the lottery, and the prizeis being a freak that everyone wants to use and th public thinks of as a walking human nuclear weapon. Wow, what a great prize right?

Now sure there are some coping systems right? Neotribals, or hermetic orders-but those are selective too right? Some discriminate based on all sorts of factors besides just having magical capabilities-race, gender, nationality, etc...So it's not like you just won the powerball, fucked Miss America and moved into the white house at the same time.
mfb
QUOTE (Paul)
How many people turn to the internet for their interaction these days? How many of us get the lions share of our socialization through machines?
why is socialization online less valid that socialization face-to-face? i'd call it more post-humanization than de-humanization. which is, i think, where SR--and cyberpunk as a whole--is heading. the 'threat' is no longer from big, monolithic, faceless entities; it's from small, fast-moving, ever-mutable groups who are taking advantage of the great power available to the individual.
Garland
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
They strive to live up to the principles of their totems, not emulate them.

I think that's what I was trying to say. But you're right, there's a difference. It's a matter of degree, and I'm sure there are shamans all along the range from "emulate" to "live up to principles." I'm talking about the extremes.
Wireknight
I wrote a section for SOTA:2063 on health spells' applications into genetic engineering and bioware, as well as the engineering of certain Awakened traits, under the catch-all term "Magenics". This was stated as a push toward the more biotech(rather than cybertech, though not in exclusion of) friendly idea of post-Cyberpunk, which I think Shadowrun has a unique path towards, vis-a-vis its integration of magic and technology. I am a fan of certain cyberpunk authors' works, and the genre itself, but having read a few post-Cyberpunk novels, such as The Diamond Age and Transmetropolitan, and been very impressed, I am of the mind that Shadowrun has the means (see above) and the drive to evolve a bit into the post-Cyberpunk genre/era.

Cyberpunk was a product of the 1980's, a time when the Japanese were producing the absolute cutting edge of technology, Japanese corporations were overtaking markets where American interests had prior flourished, glass and chrome corporate culture was at an alltime peak, computer technology for the home user was a new and innovative concept, and biotechnology was a futuristic bogeyman that rarely made the headlines. Greed was good and the idea of genetically engineered or nanotech-augmented humanity had by and large not been considered. It turns out that the Japanese didn't take over the global economy, information systems integrated with, rather than mutating, culture and society, and cocaine-snorting men in five thousand dollar suits with cellphones the size of small cars ceased to be the apex of corporate haute couture. It was a different time, and a different mindset. Some of its predictions were true, others proved as vacuous as the idea that we'd all be in flying cars and living on the moon by the year 2000.

Post-cyberpunk is a more organic, yet equally fantastic and high-tech, vision of the future. There's still cyberware, because in the end metal just plain outperforms meat in certain fields. There is more emphasis on bioware, on genetech, and on nanotech. That this evolution, in Shadowrun, occurs simultaneous to the presence of magic, grants Shadowrun the opportunity that no other game has, insofar as evolving into a unique and intriguing Awakened post-Cyberpunk world. When I'm not attempting to get certain existing rules ratified for sanity's sake, I'm working on ideas along this thread. I'll probably continue attempting to submit my ideas for Magenics as opportunity arises. I think Shadowrun, like all other things, should be an evolving work-in-progress. Fantasy is eternal, based on cultural myth more than current culture, so D&D, while stable, is also less capable of any form of novel evolution. Shadowrun, on the other hand, has great evolutionary opportunity.

But that's just my opinion. I think it's a pretty solid one, but in the end it's most important that a game evolve in tune with the beliefs of its players, more than the beliefs of one crackpot writer, or one freelancer, or one production line manager.
QUOTE ("Demonseed Elite")
Which has crept into Shadowrun in interesting ways (what is the Renraku Arcology situation if not an originally-optimistic technological infrastructure being usurped by fanatics?).

I thought it was derivative survival-horror pap, cleverly integrated into the existing Shadowrun canon, but if you'd like to look deeply for a more literary agenda, please, feel free.

QUOTE ("Demonseed Elite")
In the 80s, America was losing jobs to Japanese zaibatsus and was worried about acid rain and greenhouse effect from industrial pollution.  That went to American dot-commers living it up and a cellphone, iPod, and hybrid car for every man, woman, and child.  We've come to accept, even shape, our relationship with technology.  If there's an underlying anxiety now, it's in extremist and fundamentalist groups utilizing our technological society against us in terrorism.

That perspective views city-dwelling progressive humans from 20 - 30 as being the only people in society. Which they're not. The fact is, there are a large number of people who do not fit in this modernistic mold; you're describing the razor's edge as if it were the entire razor.

Despite the permeation of technology in every factor of our living - on the razor's edge, and some way further down the blade as well - we have become even more isolated as individuals from that technology. 200 years ago, there was very little technology that could not be understood in its entirety by any single reasoning being. One man, for instance, can, in fact, build a steam engine. Today's technology, conversely, is inexplicable, and an increasing number of increasingly complicated things happen behind black plastic boxes whose function we are only dimly familiar with.

If technology in Shadowrun has not followed a similar track, it is to the detriment of the game, and I would consider such to be supremely unrealistic. With more of technology being a removal of the human mind from its physical constraints, with much more technology being hidden away and horribly unexplicable, the disconnection of humans and their machines, as well as the disconnection between humans who use the latest technology and those who do not, should get /wider,/ not narrow.

Of course, this is only my perspective, informed by a different set of information than your own, and used to fill a different purpose, most likely, in my game than your perception is. That's why I'm somewhat careful about describing your own perceptions as being incorrect; rather, I would characterize them as different from my own, serving a different purpose, and at worst, less realistic given the history of technology in our civilization.
Paul
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Paul)
How many people turn to the internet for their interaction these days? How many of us get the lions share of our socialization through machines?

Why is socialization online less valid that socialization face-to-face? I'd call it more post-humanization than de-humanization. which is, I think, where SR--and cyberpunk as a whole--is heading.

A valid point certainly. I examined my comments and realized that I was looking at life in a very traditional fashion. Same for humanity-and then I realized I have no good reason why.

So yeah I agree that post humanization could describe some of it. Maybe not all, but some.

As for the rest:

The 'threat' is no longer from big, monolithic, faceless entities; it's from small, fast-moving, ever-mutable groups who are taking advantage of the great power available to the individual.

I think if I wrote that sentence it would read like this:

QUOTE ("MY version")
The threat is no longer just from the facless, monolithic traditional vessels of power-megacorporations, nation states, and religion. Now a new facet has evolved in the game-small, fast moving, ever-mutable groups who are taking advantage of the intracies of the sixt world.

Obviously my version differs from your own.
Demonseed Elite
I thought it was derivative survival-horror pap, cleverly integrated into the existing Shadowrun canon, but if you'd like to look deeply for a more literary agenda, please, feel free.

I do like to look deeply into it, since I helped write it. wink.gif

I won't deny it was some survival-horror fun. But, like this thread, I do a ton of serious thinking about Shadowrun, and I did when I worked on the Arcology material also. You should see the huge discussion I'm having with Lars and Peter on one of the freelancer groups right now. We put a lot more serious discussion into this stuff than people might think.

And yeah, I realize those cultural descriptions don't describe everyone, but they describe roughly the same facet that cyberpunk originally reflected. It's just that the feelings that cyberpunk developed off of don't particularly resonate today, especially with people who grew up in the years after the cyberpunk-inspired 80s.

And WK, if only I could write Shadowrun material like Transmetropolitan. I just don't think I could get away with so many four-letter words. grinbig.gif

Paul,

You're right, your wording differs from his a bit. But if you turn on the news on a given night in America or talk to most people and ask them about their concerns, they revolve a lot more around those mutable groups than anything else.
mfb
QUOTE (Paul)
Obviously my version differs from your own.

heh, not really. i agree with your statement; that's how things are in SR. but my statement was referring to real life, explaining why the changes outlined in your statement are occuring. i didn't make that as clear as i could have.

god, can you imagine trying to write a ruleset that accurately portrays transmet?
Wireknight
Heh, it's the post-Cyberpunk theme and ideas, not the actual world, that I found inspiring in Transmet. I don't think anyone capable of making an RPG that simulated the world of Transmetropolitan would also be capable of being allowed to wander about unmedicated and unrestrained.
mfb
they let neal stephenson roam the streets...
Cynic project
Tell ya what you get bioware that you can make in a day,and then have it be stable,I will then say cyberware is gone.

But the facts simple, that once you get the resources to build cyberware, you can do so at speed and in numbers. Bioware on the other hand well.

Now as for a little trick, we live in a world with less care about other people. We live in areas where we do not know who lives next to us, or care what happens down the street. We live in a world where tens of people are killed each day. We do not blink. Yet we spend months of our times when a rich black guy, or some random white guy kills his wife? We live in a world that will have you pay for the honor of being a walking add and have you think it is cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012