Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shapeshifter Regeneration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
U_Fester
I have a question on Shapteshifter regeneration. I have searched my manuals, read back posts and the such, but I can not find the exact rules/rate for Shapeshifter PC regeneration. Any help would be much appreciateded.

Thanks
Demosthenes
iirc a PC shapeshifter regenerates (Essence)/2 at the end of every combat turn, when in their natural form.
Also iirc, they don't regenerate at all in human form, and there's all kinds of other complicated silly stuff about regenerating drain and stun damage and physical drain and all of that nonsense...it's something of a can of worms, really.
Rules should be in SRComp.

[ Spoiler ]

[edit]Typos
BitBasher
That was in 2nd edition. No longer valid.

In 3rd edition, all creatures with regeneration (pc's included) erase all their damage at the beginning of every combat round unless the conditions are met that causes them not to regenerate at all. Boom baby!
Demosthenes
Thanks Bit.

Note to self: must by SR3 Companion...

Shapechangers are no longer gimped by having a stupid version of a power that works inconsistently.

Note: what bothered me was the inconsistency, not the poor fuzzy-wuzzies being mistreated. Not my cup of tea, though I can see why some people might want to play one...
U_Fester
QUOTE (BitBasher)
That was in 2nd edition. No longer valid.

In 3rd edition, all creatures with regeneration (pc's included) erase all their damage at the beginning of every combat round unless the conditions are met that causes them not to regenerate at all. Boom baby!

Thanks Bit. I looked it up in 3rd Comp, but I guess I need to learn to read first. Must have missed it... MORE THAN ONCE!! rotfl.gif

Just to clarify, they reg fully in both Human and Animal form at the end of each turn?
mfb
yep.
Aes
Which is why you geek them right after the mage. nyahnyah.gif
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (Aes)
Which is why you geek them right after the mage. nyahnyah.gif

Unless they regenerate...
Tarantula
Which is why you have the mage levitate them, then geek them while they can't do much.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Which is why you have the mage levitate them, then geek them while they can't do much.

Assuming they don't resist the levitate, that's actually a really good plan.
Nikoli
Sick though, Shapeshifter with empathic healing...

Forget offering free medical services in the barrens, you can finally get recognized by Krash Kart and Doc Wagon as a sentient and receive a SIN just like real people.
Jrayjoker
So is there an allergy that limits the regen, like silver bullets on a werewolf?
Nikoli
nope, I think it either ups the damage code or the power, but I can't recall which.
Jrayjoker
So the only way to geek them is to do overdamage?
Nikoli
Well, when they receive a deadly wound, you roll a 1d6, on a 1 they didn't heal and have to recover normally, otherwise they are a-okay (aside from potential magic loss)
Jrayjoker
And that assumes they are magical, would the essence loss affect them in any way if they were not magical?
Nikoli
most shifters are magical, being awakened creatures, it would be veritable suicide to not have some magical skills
BitBasher
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Feb 8 2005, 11:02 AM)

Arguably not even that does it. It says in the description of the power that they always regenerate all damage each turn unless they fail a regeneration roll. So unless they fail that regeneration roll, by the rules you could do 300 boxes of damage and they still get back up and kick your ass.

And that assumes they are magical, would the essence loss affect them in any way if they were not magical?
It would only affect them in that if they are attacked by a weapon focus they have to make an essence test at a TN of twice the level of the weapon focus, or that would doesn't regenerate. Beyond that, no. It doesn't matter.

most shifters are magical, being awakened creatures, it would be veritable suicide to not have some magical skills
Er, most trolls are awakened creatures, that doesn't make most of the magically active. Is there a quote somewhere that says a higher than normal percentage of shapeshifters are magically active?
Nikoli
well, they are dual natured.
that's a flaw for a reason.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Nikoli)
well, they are dual natured.
that's a flaw for a reason.

Yep, while vampires aren't. Makes tham that much more unholy nasty.
U_Fester
Thanks for all the info. Now I can see why one of the guys wants to play this so baddly.... that and he averages a player getting killed every 1.5 games.
Jrayjoker
Just because he can't save his character's life with some reasonable planning and sane actions doesn't mean he should get off the hook with a shapeshifter. I'd let him do it, but throw weapon foci at him at an alarming rate for trying to break the game.
U_Fester
With both of our GM's I don't think that will be a problem at all. wink.gif
BitBasher
Remember, don't let him off the hook too easily. One of the most important and overlooked things about a shapeshifter is that a shaprshifter is NOT a human that can turn into an animal. It's an animal that can mimic a human. He should have to play his animal nature and dock him karma if he doesn't. Most shapwshifters really dont work all that well in scociety. There's nothing humna about a shapeshifter except their look, and only then only part of the time.
algcs
QUOTE (U_Fester)
With both of our GM's I don't think that will be a problem at all. wink.gif

So your not going to let me play that IE that is a WereTurtle ninja? frown.gif

On a more serious note I wouldn't mind playing a vampire. cool.gif

JaronK
I believe shifters have a vulnerability such that if they take damage from a silver source, they only regen on a 3+ instead of a 2+.

JaronK
U_Fester
QUOTE (BitBasher)
One of the most important and overlooked things about a shapeshifter is that a shaprshifter is NOT a human that can turn into an animal. It's an animal that can mimic a human.

This I have stressed to all our players about shapeshifter. The character is not human, will have problems with society and limited social skills. Protecting there secret should be one of the most important things the character does.
Sokei
I currently have a player who is a shapeshifter (white siberian tiger) he so far has done a great job roleplaying the animal nature. He insists on eating meat preferably uncooked , much to the displeasure of the other characters , and he refuses to use firearms, preferring to rip the throat from his enemy in "real" combat. so far this hasn't cause any big issues but their first big run is coming up and we will see what happens. Any idea what a shapeshifter who has never left the ground will think when he on a suspension bridge 200 feet off the water? rotfl.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (U_Fester)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 8 2005, 12:51 PM)
One of the most important and overlooked things about a shapeshifter is that a shaprshifter is NOT a human that can turn into an animal. It's an animal that can mimic a human.

This I have stressed to all our players about shapeshifter. The character is not human, will have problems with society and limited social skills. Protecting there secret should be one of the most important things the character does.

Ditto and ditto again. The previous example is a good one for having a player have to deal with something that the animal side of him would normally fear (cats:water). If they don't roleplay it out, I would be stricter than normal on the karmic rewards/dockings, since this is a main "drawback" (of sorts) to playing this type of character.

"Drawback" negated if you're talking about an earthy campaign with an earthy group: Amerind, Dryad, Wild Druid, Shapeshifter.
Sokei
yeah im not piling karmic awards with most of his acting, although the awe he is inspiring from the amerindian in the group is pretty amusing, she has shamantic background and beleives strongly in the nature religion stuff so to be working with a shapeshifter is like working with a demigod , its amusing to watch play out.
Dancer
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Feb 8 2005, 11:02 AM)

Arguably not even that does it. It says in the description of the power that they always regenerate all damage each turn unless they fail a regeneration roll. So unless they fail that regeneration roll, by the rules you could do 300 boxes of damage and they still get back up and kick your ass.

'Massive tissue injury' (particularly to the brain or spine) causes them to fail the roll on a 1 or 2. Really massive damage might cause the GM to increase the odds even more.
shadow_scholar
The biggest drawback I see to playing a shapeshifter is that they'll be slow, unless they've got a quickened enhance initiative spell. Even then the wired version makes the sammy faster because it also adds to reaction. Being that slow is a very bad thing when your regeneration takes place at the end of the combat turn.
Dancer
QUOTE (shadow_scholar)
The biggest drawback I see to playing a shapeshifter is that they'll be slow, unless they've got a quickened enhance initiative spell. Even then the wired version makes the sammy faster because it also adds to reaction. Being that slow is a very bad thing when your regeneration takes place at the end of the combat turn.

An animal-form tiger/leopard shapeshifter with Enhance Reflexes 3 active adds +5d6+1 to his initiative, slightly better than Wires 3. A tiger-form shifter with the Increased Initiative adept power at level 3 gets an initiative boost of +5d6+7, better than acheivable by any other starting character.
Dizzo Dizzman
One thing to remember when GMing a shapeshifter: When they take Deadly damage, they still check for magic loss even if they regenerate the damage. Shapeshifter mages and adepts kick a lot of hoop, but they won't step into the middle of a firefight (if they know what is good for them!)

BitBasher
QUOTE (Dancer @ Feb 8 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (shadow_scholar @ Feb 9 2005, 03:26 AM)
The biggest drawback I see to playing a shapeshifter is that they'll be slow, unless they've got a quickened enhance initiative spell.  Even then the wired version makes the sammy faster because it also adds to reaction.  Being that slow is a very bad thing when your regeneration takes place at the end of the combat turn.

An animal-form tiger/leopard shapeshifter with Enhance Reflexes 3 active adds +5d6+1 to his initiative, slightly better than Wires 3. A tiger-form shifter with the Increased Initiative adept power at level 3 gets an initiative boost of +5d6+7, better than acheivable by any other starting character.

Technically no, as stupid as this is the fine print IIRC says that adept powers only work in *human* form. Don't kill me, I didn't make that rule up.
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Dancer @ Feb 8 2005, 10:32 PM)
A tiger-form shifter with the Increased Initiative adept power at level 3 gets an initiative boost of +5d6+7, better than acheivable by any other starting character.

Not necessarily true. You can pump up Quickness and Intelligence via bioware (muscle toner & cerebral booster) and then up your reaction via Reaction Enhancer (probably going to have to be Alpha or better to get the most out of that last essence point, I don't have any books on me to verify) but you can end up with a pretty nasty quick starting character. Yeah, the shifter is faster in animal form, but you have to remember that the shifter is depending upon chance with his Initiative dice (+5D6) while a Sammy gets that missing die at an automatic maximum 6 if they take Reaction Enhancer 6. If I run a Sammy at full Quickness and Int, and get Wired 3 with Reaction Enhance 6 I have an Initiative at 21 + 4D6 (a possible max roll at 45) while the shifter has a max very close to that also depending on how the attributes end up (again, I don't have the rules w/me) but they have one more die to chance. Make that Sammy a Night Elf and you can move your Reaction up on more point to 22.

Edit: Can you tell I've made some nasty enemies for my players before?

I didn't see the latest post pointing out that you can't use the initiative bonus in animal form. That sucks.
Dizzo Dizzman
I've made a street sam with 21+5d6 iniative. As far as I know, that is the absolute fastest character you can make. cyber.gif
Dancer
Best you can get is Wired 3 plus 4 levels of Alphaware Reaction Enhancer. That goes for 980,000 nuyen.gif and 5.96 Essence.
Dizzo Dizzman
Well, you can combine Boosted Reflexes, Reaction Enhancers, with a Synaptic Accelerator and other bioware.
hyzmarca
Shapeshifters are best used as tanks. Pump up their body so that they can soak damage, give them good Quickness and Strength, as well, depending on your taste. Give them some decent weapon skills and have them wade into battle. Used this way, they can be absurdly deadly.
Unfortunatly, they cost too much to reasonably make a shifter magician. The Bp cost of being a Shifter combined with the BP cost of 3 extra physical attributes should religate the spellcasting Shifter high power games and suicidal players.

Also, Physical drain is only regenerated at 1 box per minute.

Regenration isn't usefull if you can afford the skills or stats to back it up.

Killing a shifter isn't easy but yo should always remember that a seperate regeneration test is required for every deadly wound in a CT. Silver and fire both increase the regeneration TN to 3. Silver also increases Both Power and DL of a weapon. Concentrated fire from a decent team will take down a Shifter. Concentrated fire from a team with flamethrowers, lasers, and silver bullets is even better.

However, the worst penalities of the Shifter are social. If he doesn't have high chrisma and good contact he is easily screwed. Remember, Shapshifters are considered to be animals and those than commit crimes have no more rights than a rabbid dog.
They can't be tried in court. The Star can sell them off for research or just throw them in an incinerator.
If they can keep their cover as humans they may be alright, but most people will be creaped out by a Shifter. Clerks will refuse to serve them. Resturants will turn them away. Anyone with Astral perception can recognize a shifter instantly unless it has masking.
There are people who hunt Shifters profesionally and there are amature hunters as well. Living Shifters are worth a lot to some people, either as slaves or research subjects. Shifter corpses are probably worth a pretty penny to researchers, as well.

Even in the NAN, Shifters only have limited rights because there are concerns about their bestial nature. Most everywhere else Shifters have none.

Also, neither Critters nor Shadowrun Companion mentions anything abour regenerating Stun damage. Infer from that what ou will.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Sokei)
I currently have a player who is a shapeshifter (white siberian tiger) he so far has done a great job roleplaying the animal nature. He insists on eating meat preferably uncooked , much to the displeasure of the other characters , and he refuses to use firearms, preferring to rip the throat from his enemy in "real" combat. so far this hasn't cause any big issues but their first big run is coming up and we will see what happens. Any idea what a shapeshifter who has never left the ground will think when he on a suspension bridge 200 feet off the water?

Most cats, including the big ones, have no problem with heights, and tigers are known to be good swimmers and not have a problem with water. Honestly, he'll probably be more comfortable with the whole thing than the metahumans.
Tal
Thing is, you've got to identify the shifter for what he is first. Assuming he doesn't do anything stupid like shift in front of a Star camera, he's just some SINless ganger on the physical plane. Astral's where'd he'd have to worry, I guess.
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (Tal @ Feb 9 2005, 01:48 AM)
Astral's where'd he'd have to worry, I guess.

Yeah, Masking's more important to a shapeshifter than a metahuman.
Human mage without masking? "Oh, he's a magically active human"
Shapeshifter without masking? "Oh my frag! It's a fraggin bear!"
Smiley
Or, "What the... an seal?"
Ranneko
Actually on this note, I can't seem to find if they regen stun at that rate, it appears to me that stun damage take the normal time to recuperate from for a shifter. Is this true? Because then i know which route I would take to deal with one.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
"Drawback" negated if you're talking about an earthy campaign with an earthy group: Amerind, Dryad, Wild Druid, Shapeshifter.

Amerind or not, Wild Druid or not, the fact remains that these are people who are going to spend the better part of their working day in close proximity with a fraggin' predatory animal. Afording oneself the luxury of "being comfortable" with that situation is just asking for trouble. Sure, there are professional wild animal handlers out there who may give an outward appearance of easygoing comfort, but on the inside, they're thinking about everything that they know about their animals and their personalities, watching for the smallest sign that the animal's instincts are going to take control of the situation.
Sandoval Smith
Having a player be a shifter can be as hard as the GM wants to make it. As the SRC says, 'shapeshifters are virtually immune to death by damage,' so they can tank it in combat, to a certain extent. I still wouldn't want to push those wounds to 'deadly' to often. Wards are a big pain in the butt now, and at the start, you can either have one contact, or some gear, but not both.

If your game involves lots of gun combat, then a shifter is probably going to have some balance issues. Killing them outright is tough, but the drawbacks tend to keep them in under control.
Traks
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Feb 8 2005, 09:12 PM)
"Drawback" negated if you're talking about an earthy campaign with an earthy group:  Amerind, Dryad, Wild Druid, Shapeshifter.

Amerind or not, Wild Druid or not, the fact remains that these are people who are going to spend the better part of their working day in close proximity with a fraggin' predatory animal. Afording oneself the luxury of "being comfortable" with that situation is just asking for trouble. Sure, there are professional wild animal handlers out there who may give an outward appearance of easygoing comfort, but on the inside, they're thinking about everything that they know about their animals and their personalities, watching for the smallest sign that the animal's instincts are going to take control of the situation.

Maybe she isn't smart enough to realise that smile.gif

I have one player with shapeshifter adept, I think that regular magic tests do balance things out. Besides he have a really big secret to hide, and once he had to explain why he eats human hearts. Strangely enough he is still alive, but my players ARE too trusty and will have pay for that someday.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Ranneko)
Actually on this note, I can't seem to find if they regen stun at that rate, it appears to me that stun damage take the normal time to recuperate from for a shifter. Is this true? Because then i know which route I would take to deal with one.

Stun regenerates just as fast as physical for regenerating creatures. In the description of damage regeneration it says "all damage" regenerates at the start of the turn. It does not make the disctinction between physical or stun, they are both "damage" and thus both regenerated.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Stun regenerates just as fast as physical for regenerating creatures. In the description of damage regeneration it says "all damage" regenerates at the start of the turn. It does not make the disctinction between physical or stun, they are both "damage" and thus both regenerated.

Arguable ... That's all I'm going to say at this point. The rest can be left to the search function ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012