Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Humanis Policlub
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Grinder
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Yes, but my concern arises from the appearance of yet another blatant generalization based on a fallacy of assumption that all runners--and specificalyl your runners, with "you" being all of us not yourself, reacting that way.

I'm a non-native english speaker, so i hope i got the idea behind your posting in the way it was meant to be. smile.gif

I never said that every other runner out there besides myself will instantly shoot a humanis-affiliated runner. I just wanted to point out that it is likely to happen, judgign from my experience with such things (ok, the victim was a ghoul) and what years of being a player and a GM teached me about players and their reaction to strange thing (i'm not saying that anyone here is lacking such experience).
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
As it is, he'd probably become a member of some neo-A policlub if canon materials didn't make neo-A's look like such hippies

Just out of curiosity: What did you expect them to be (other than hippies)?

Before I read the manifesto about them (I think it was in the America guide), I'd always kind of assumed that they were the more violent breed of anarchist. Kind of like when I was in high school, and the only place I ever saw the anarchist A was on the jackets of the punk rock kids who wanted nothing more than the chance to torch a pig's car. Then when I was in college, all the anarchists I knew were hippies. I always kind of saw one as fitting the world of SR better, and also you always see pictures near the descriptions of Neo-A's of people with black bandanas around their faces and guns in their hands. I always assumed that it was implied that those pictures were of neo-A's, but I guess I was wrong. Kind of a pity. Since (in my opinion) there isn't really a whole lot of substance to the neo-A philosophy as written (it's basically just a collection of aphorisms, nowhere near a coherent ideology), I'd have preferred to have them as yet another terrorist group. As it is, I can't think off the top of my head of any other terrorist groups in SR that aren't either environmental or racial in nature. I think having a group around that basically just wanted to blow up the corps would help make the corps look less absolutely evil.
Crimsondude 2.0
Being politically-inclined, you don't see them as being similar to the European leftist anarchist movement?
Grinder
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
I think having a group around that basically just wanted to blow up the corps would help make the corps look less absolutely evil.

I guess there are a lot of anarchist anti-corp groups around. The corps are one of the Big Evil Things in SR, so it's likely that a opposition formed. But i think it's very difficult to make a sharp cut between environmental and anarchist groups, as both fight the same enemy.
hahnsoo
It also depends on what "era" you are talking about. In YotC, they mention that Humanis has backed off from its hardcore stance when it turned against them politically and socially. Over 20 years, they evolved from a cross-burning lynch mob to a political lobby and social club. They are still full of racist evil, but they prefer the silk glove rather than the iron fist now (those roles are now taken up by Alamos 2K, Human Nation, Saito's protectorate, etc.).
audun
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
Before I read the manifesto about them (I think it was in the America guide), I'd always kind of assumed that they were the more violent breed of anarchist. Kind of like when I was in high school, and the only place I ever saw the anarchist A was on the jackets of the punk rock kids who wanted nothing more than the chance to torch a pig's car. Then when I was in college, all the anarchists I knew were hippies. I always kind of saw one as fitting the world of SR better, and also you always see pictures near the descriptions of Neo-A's of people with black bandanas around their faces and guns in their hands. I always assumed that it was implied that those pictures were of neo-A's, but I guess I was wrong. Kind of a pity. Since (in my opinion) there isn't really a whole lot of substance to the neo-A philosophy as written (it's basically just a collection of aphorisms, nowhere near a coherent ideology), I'd have preferred to have them as yet another terrorist group. As it is, I can't think off the top of my head of any other terrorist groups in SR that aren't either environmental or racial in nature. I think having a group around that basically just wanted to blow up the corps would help make the corps look less absolutely evil.

I didn't know there was a Neo-A manifesto, but then I haven't read every book out there. Any idea which book it is in?
Most anarchists I know are the of "autonom" kind (if you're European you know what it means), though I'm probably more of a hippie myself. I always figured that the Neo-A's would be something in that direction since they took over Berlin.
CircuitBoyBlue
It's in the Neo-A's guide to North America, which is a pretty hard book to find in my experience, and is first edition (my group has had a few copies, but they've been hard to get and jealously guarded).

I am pretty politically inclined, and know a lot of people in the protestor culture here in the US, including a lot of anarchists. But I've never even heard the term autonom. What does it mean?
Grinder
Autonom in terms of political is hard to translate. Maybe "independent" but with a more violently undertone. Just my first idea.

I know a lot of anarchist, syndikalist, trotzkists, all that kind of left-wing people. And i would say that 99% aren't violent molotov cocktail throwing people who happen to get the whole coverage of the media when a demonstration gets out of control. The rioters are normally a hardcore bunch of guys, roughly 100 in hamburg, i.e. There's the Hafenstrasse (harbour street) where a left-wing autonomous centre was established over the years. Besides friendly independent thinkers they have their share of violent near-terrorist who like phrases like "revolution has come, no matter the cost" "all power to the people" or "when we change the system at the price of some people's life, it's ok". All this is roughly translated, it's a difficult theme.
audun
CCBlue:Wikipedia is your friend The article is somewhat misleading as not all autonomen are marxists, but it's good enough. If you want some anarchists with black bandanas and SMGs autonomen aren't far from it. IRL most limits themselves to stonethrowing and black bloc-tactics, but in the Sixth World they would probably be armed.
CircuitBoyBlue
Ok, I'm familiar with these people. I just hadn't heard the term (from what I gather from that link, it's mostly used in non-English speaking countries).

Back on topic, has anyone actually played a current member of Humanis or its affiliated terrorist groups? It seems to me these groups would be pretty well represented in the shadows, given their propensity for secrecy and willingness to hurt things (not to mention their need for an under-the-table cash source).
Grinder
Once had a player who played an ork, member of the Horde. The char was able to act "normally" when on a run, but here and there hangs out with his fellow ork friends and beats up humans. It can work, when the char doesn't voice his opinions too loud. But most likey the char will get killed (in a tragic accident or sth. like that) by the members of his hatred group, i guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012