Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM/Player Gender
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Crimson Jack
Curious as to what the male:female ratio is within Shadowrun. Straight-forward question. I would think that there isn't a huge female audience, but then again... that's the whole point of this post.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Straight-forward question.

Not so much as you'd think, really…

~J
Crimson Jack
Oh man, don't tell me that I need third and fourth options. eek.gif
Sokei
well in my group we have 5 guys and 2 girls, unfortunatly the females havent picked up on the wonder of DS so i thought id post that they exist smile.gif
Arethusa
Need third option for Saturday nights. Please modify poll, you insensitive clod.
AnotherFreakBoy
I've only just started reading again after a long hiatus, but if you had been around a year or two ago you'd know this question couldn't possibly be as straightforward as it first seems.

Still, the less said about that the better.

That said, I'm male.

[EDIT:]Now that I look, it appears that you have been around a year or two, also, I use too many commas[\EDIT]
toturi
I wonder what would it mean if you went with Null vote.
Scratch
I'm shocked. I can't be the only geekgirl on DumpShock.
Kagetenshi
You aren't. However, you appear to be the only one on right now.

~J
FrostyNSO
Our group refers to Shadowrun as "SR".

Most girls I know, refer to it as "Playing Nerd Games".
Smiley
As sausage-fests go, SR is better than most.
Spider
I rather not think too much about this topic.

Depressing read isn't it?

girl(s):"Guys what are you doing saturday night?"

us:... guess what cool.gif

How explain it and keep it cool when they think about AD&D freaks?

anyway...
JaronK
My gaming group is me (male, DM) and one male player, with three female players, for shadowrun. For D&D, it's the same, though it's a girl DMing and one of the girls switched out for another.

JaronK
Slash_Thompson
My group is Gm (me, male); four Male Players, and two female Players.

I'm the only one who posts to DS.

for the record: my D&D group is five guys. the girls didn't want any of it. wink.gif
Diesel
Group is 2 guys, 2 girls. None post to DSF. Their loss.
Brambles
I can't vote (it says I allready voted) so I'll post it here:

I gm SR for an all male group (from 4 to 6 persons). I'm a girl. None of my girlfriends is even remotely interested in gaming, and they have no idea I play SR or DnD.
torzzzzz
biggrin.gif

shocked. I can't be the only geekgirl on DumpShock

Its sad but true the girlies are in a minority in shadow run but saying that we are the most blood thirsty of characters? ........ well i am and i love it ! hehehehe give me a gun and bring it on!

torz ( and yes i am slightly deranged but i fell it helps!) grinbig.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Spider)

Right. People that play Shadowrun and hang out on-line to talk about it are cool, but anyone who plays D&D is a "freak." Okay.
Grinder
QUOTE (Spider)

us:... guess what cool.gif

anyway...

Don't game at the "cool" nights like friday and saturday. Go out, drink some beer and do, what other "cool" guys are doing then. Start gaming at sundays or under the week. We have to do so nearly every week (gaming under the week, that is), because of the different working times of the players. So we can go out at the weekend and try to be "cool". wink.gif
Drain Brain
There's a female going by the handle of Blitz who hangs with us in the "Welcome to the Shadows" section, but I don't think I've ever seen a post from her in this forum...

So I thought I'd make her known...
torzzzzz
biggrin.gif

Well just thinking about it all you have to wonder that it is not imprtant to be a 'boy or 'girl' if you can play or have a good try thats the main thing! i love playing and im the only girl in the group, i have also played ciberpunk, rifts, and outhers and i have a kikarse chaos army in 40k. and i work for the government! tehe! i think it has affected my brain. I'M now off to do some science hehehehe (manical laghf!) grinbig.gif
Sokei
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Spider @ Feb 15 2005, 07:17 AM)

us:... guess what  cool.gif

anyway...

Don't game at the "cool" nights like friday and saturday. Go out, drink some beer and do, what other "cool" guys are doing then. Start gaming at sundays or under the week. We have to do so nearly every week (gaming under the week, that is), because of the different working times of the players. So we can go out at the weekend and try to be "cool". wink.gif

unfortunately the "cool" nights are the only time my group can get together. on the upside we generally play at my place of employment, so either myself or Judgeito is getting payed to play SR. It helps lessen the sting of being forced to work 24-30 hours friday - sunday.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
And there's always the problem that, as we saw in an earlier poll, it's mostly GMs on DS. So you're getting a biased sample. This is only good for telling DSer gender.

Not that this is scientific in any way, shape or form, but shmeh...

As for me, it depends on which Shadowrun game I've run. Right now I'm standing at two gals, four guys, but previously I've had greater numbers with a higher ratio of females to males.
Grinder
QUOTE (Sokei)
unfortunately the "cool" nights are the only time my group can get together. on the upside we generally play at my place of employment, so either myself or Judgeito is getting payed to play SR. It helps lessen the sting of being forced to work 24-30 hours friday - sunday.

What are you working as?
Cray74
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Curious as to what the male:female ratio is within Shadowrun. Straight-forward question. I would think that there isn't a huge female audience, but then again... that's the whole point of this post.

For quite a while, I had 2 regular female gamers in my SR group (out of 5-6 regular gamers). College and careers have dragged them off to the far corners of the state, though, so I'm back to an all-male group.
nezumi
I've got one female player in my group, and I had to marry her to get her to play : ( I have no idea what favors I'll have to dish out should I decide to invite a second girl in.
Sokei
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Sokei @ Feb 15 2005, 02:49 PM)

What are you working as?

Both Judge and I work as front desk clerks at a hotel , we play in the lobby and dive for the phone on occasion but it works. It also is the only time i have to plan adventures with classes and such killing my free time.
Grinder
Oh, i see. But having a job which allows you to game is very nice, i think. (if i understand you correct and you're gaming at your working hours).
Sokei
yeah , SR isnt in the job description but we manage to play on the clock. We have actually had guests recognize the stuff we play starwars/card games/ SR etc and sit down and talk about the games. Its disturbing how many people actually play some of these games. Had some lady watch us play Doom (the board game) last weekend.
Jrayjoker
Our group of 7 has 1 girl.

That being said we need a transgender option or two...It is only fair.
Grinder
QUOTE (Sokei)
yeah , SR isnt in the job description but we manage to play on the clock. We have actually had guests recognize the stuff we play starwars/card games/ SR etc and sit down and talk about the games. Its disturbing how many people actually play some of these games. Had some lady watch us play Doom (the board game) last weekend.

Sounds like a pretty nice and relaxed way of earning money. Lucky you. smile.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (Sokei)
well in my group we have 5 guys and 2 girls, unfortunatly the females havent picked up on the wonder of DS so i thought id post that they exist smile.gif

Ditto here. My group has 4 women in it and most don't even use the internet much let along DS. smile.gif
shadow_scholar
Male GM here, with 5 total players, 3 male, 2 female. I'm about to lose one of the guys, though, he's being shipped to Kosovo, which sucks. FWIW, though, it appears all the guys are far more combat and tech oriented, while the females are psuedo pacifists and very deep into the social skills. Overall it makes for a good mix in an SR group, but I forsee Mars and Venus rearing their ugly heads before long.
Prospero
In the game I'll be (hopefully) starting soon, there'll be 3 or 4 males (including me, the GM) and 1 female. There's another girl in our gaming group, but she categorically refuses to play Shadowrun. Wierd.
Kagetenshi
Have you asked her why?

~J
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Need third option for Saturday nights. Please modify poll, you insensitive clod.

Yay, I'm an insensitive clod. LOL

rotfl.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (AnotherFreakBoy)
I've only just started reading again after a long hiatus, but if you had been around a year or two ago you'd know this question couldn't possibly be as straightforward as it first seems.

Still, the less said about that the better.

That said, I'm male.

[EDIT:]Now that I look, it appears that you have been around a year or two, also, I use too many commas[\EDIT]

I figured, that people know, who they, feel, that they are, gender-wise. I didn't feel, like, putting options, like, "male who feels like a woman", or "female who dresses like, a man, on Saturday, nights." The question, wasn't meant, to, be that, deep or, soul-searching. wink.gif
Solstice
No we don't need a trangender option. You vote with the gear God gave you and leave it at that. We don't care if you think your some kind of gender bender. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Solstice)
No we don't need a trangender option. You vote with the gear God gave you and leave it at that. We don't care if you think your some kind of gender bender. wink.gif

Oh, then change my vote to nothing.

~J
Wounded Ronin
I've known a handful of female gamers over the years, but only a handful. Most are male.

I blame, uh, SOCIETY! Yeah, that's it.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I've known a handful of female gamers over the years, but only a handful. Most are male.

I blame, uh, SOCIETY! Yeah, that's it.

You insensitive clod! wink.gif
torzzzzz
smile.gif

For quite a while, I had 2 regular female gamers in my SR group (out of 5-6 regular gamers). College and careers have dragged them off to the far corners of the state, though, so I'm back to an all-male group.

i work in the government and have a very hectic working week but i still find time to shadow run at nearly 30!

the problem is that the general girl oppinion of role players is spotty geeks stitting around getting cheepies as they have just killed the 'monster' i think it go's back to D&D i had the same oppinion but my partner got me into shadow run and it went form there, i am now assimalating some outher girly frends into it and the ones who have played love it.

i think that you have to be of the right type........ sounds stupid but most girls are into makeup and boys and stuff, but i was allways into live roleplaying sorwd fighting and guns ( clay shooting)....... shadowrun gets the imagination going and is a dam good way of passing 11 hours without even thinking of it! and not getting pregnant!

torz x
DocMortand
Of course it doesn't help when guys pull the "OMG!!11! There R chix0rs! That r0x0rs!1!!" quote and scare away most normal girls...heck, that sorta reaction would scare away most normal PEOPLE.
Brambles
Torz is so right...

I always wanted to play dnd but as a girl, having been to an all girl school, it's kinda difficult to find any group. And then if you find one, the guys are too afraid to talk (eek, it's -a girl- She must be stupid and not know anything about DnD *ignore*) Eventough I always wanted to... I had to trick some guy into taking me to his rp group, and eventually charm the dm to play dnd.

I bought SR because my boyfriend wanted to play it, and me to dm it... after I got the books, there's never been a chance for him to even touch them grinbig.gif But I would never have bought them if he hadn't said that he'd read cool stuff about it.

So... rp is a guy's thing, at least where I live. And all the rp girls I met seem very different than me. I've only seen gothic fem rp'ers up till now. Is this normal?
Kagetenshi
I know rather a lot of female gamers. Most of them aren't in my groups (though I did have a group that was female-weighted once), but they're out there.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
"I am a meat popsicle."
Nikoli
Heh, it's true a lot of guys are intimidated by female roleplayers.
Partially because guys know that they shouldn't be making all the same crude jokes that might otherwise be said (regardless of the pre-existing condition of making those jokes).

Personally, I'd love to see more girls in my gaming group, we just don't know any that can show up on a regular basis.
Drain Brain
I confess to being a wee bit intimidated by female gamers, but only when they're "One-Offs."

See, I often play female characters (to represent gender splits equally) and I feel if there's a lass in the group they'll see through my poor portrayal of their gender - although I religiously try to avoid either the "Butch Lesbian" or "Exotic Amazon" stereotypes.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Heh, it's true a lot of guys are intimidated by female roleplayers.
Partially because guys know that they shouldn't be making all the same crude jokes that might otherwise be said (regardless of the pre-existing condition of making those jokes).

Really? In our group, I think we make MORE crude jokes with the gals around than we ever did. *grin*
FrostyNSO
We had a regular chick playing in our group for a little. Scary thing was, she was totally girly in the RL, but once things got going she was the most bloodthirsty of the bunch. She thought up things that made hard-ass, insensitive a-holes shudder. Kinda that ruthless animal cunning thing.

Got the wife to play once. Did really good, but didn't like the hours.

Torz, you got a gummint job? What do you do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012