Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM/Player Gender
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Req
I am male. I gm for a group of 2 gals and 5 guys. Both of the gals are in long-term relationships with one of the guys (one of whom is me).

None of them read or post here.
Solstice
We have a girl who plays in our AD&D group but so far I've been unable to turn them over to the dark side (SR). All in time. She is pretty decent in the RP thing but she tends to get scared and/or grossed out when icky things attack her character or her character is in a dispute with another character. It's pretty interesting.
Moirdryd
It`s nice to hear a voice from just across the border. Welcome to DS Torz, i think your the first person from Cymru i`ve seen on here (older wiser heads may know better).

On topic, I`m male btw and gm for a group of four (inc me) all male, though i game with another group (no SR atm) with two female players (that said when one of them is a fantasy artist and the other is an editor and writes RPG stuff etc its a done deal).
Foreigner
The last campaign I played in had a total of 5 active players, only one of whom was female.

The current campaign which, AFAIK, hasn't started yet, has 6 players, two of whom will be alternating duties between playing and GM'ing.

Of the six, three are male (including Yours Truly smile.gif), and three are female.

To the best of my knowledge, however, only the two player/GMs and I have any experience playing SR--the other three are "newbies" to the game.

Actually, I should probably include myself among the newbies, because I've only completed one 'run, and that was with the earlier group. I've transferred my PC to the new group, but he's starting over from scratch (i.e., zero Karma, and only the Nuyen he received during chargen), just to be fair to the other newcomers.

The two player/GMs are also starting over with new characters.

--Foreigner
Spider
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Spider @ Feb 15 2005, 01:17 AM)
How explain it and keep it cool when they think about AD&D freaks?

Right. People that play Shadowrun and hang out on-line to talk about it are cool, but anyone who plays D&D is a "freak." Okay.

Right. People that play Shadowrun and hang out on-line to talk about it are cool, but anyone who plays D&D is a "freak." Okay.

Not exactly what i meant. No offense, i have D&D books(and i play back then). We had great games. I just don't like the heroic system too much.

I was refering to the fact that D&D is the most popular and well known RPG around and also to the "fact" that many(not all) persons who end up being know for playing D&D tend to(not always) be socially marginalized (for example, be called a "freak"). So when you talk to people who don'y know exactly what is an RPG they usually refer to that "freak playind D&D in high school i use to know, he was always talkin bout +4 stuff". I say that don't give you a cool look isn't it? But i guess people can be happy gaming freak openly instead of spending their evening sending post! wobble.gif

By the way, i had a girl in my group(one among the boys) she played SR for 3 years(she was a bad-ass sammie). I tried to start a D&D game later and she tought the level-up thing suck too much! nyahnyah.gif

Sorry for my english it's really not my first language
torzzzzz
grinbig.gif
(FrostyNSO)
Torz, you got a gummint job? What do you do?

i work for animal health but i am moving to veternary science next year to do animal pathology and infectious desises! cool but hard work...........

but its so true in the bloodthurstyness i have full on manic characters just for the fun of it!

So... rp is a guy's thing, at least where I live. And all the rp girls I met seem very different than me. I've only seen gothic fem rp'ers up till now. Is this normal?

i can tell you now i am no goth freek ( no affence) it would proberly get me fired but the girls that we play with us are just well normal (if there is such a thing!)
i think its all part of that dark doom and gloom thingy that attracts them........ 'ooooh im going to be into dark magic and dress in black' kind of stuff! teheheheh

torz x rotfl.gif
Luca
in any case it is the typical statistic for any RPG. From D20 to Gurps and Vampire, the story is just the same: a lot of men, really few women: it happnes in my country (Italy) but from thsi forum it is clear that happens anywhere.
torzzzzz
Welcome to DS Torz, i think your the first person from Cymru i`ve seen on here (older wiser heads may know better).

ph'nawda (good afternoon)

My got someone who knows Wales, lived here for 7 years but originally from chester where all our friends seemed to play SR, no may here in Wales well in mid Wales that is.

I MUST CHANGE THEM!!!

tehehehe spin.gif

Torz x

Wounded Ronin
Heh, the most painful thing I can imagine is "Sex In The City: The RPG".
Bigity
I've known/met far more female players online then face to face. And that's not just people playing female characters either.

Only known 3 regular female gamers, two were someone's wife, and the other someone's sister. They played mostly AD&D, but one played 40k, video games, etc etc.

She was also kind of like a den mother or something.
Cynic project
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
ph'nawda (good afternoon)

tehehehe spin.gif

Torz x

Torz, welcome to this forum, may your flesh boil of your skin and your eyes be taped open wile you watch mtv.....

Now that doesn't sound right, well it is nice to see new faces,and I hope you are more mature than at least me.
torzzzzz
well it is nice to see new faces,and I hope you are more mature than at least me.

Well........ i try...... very trying in fact!

tehehehehe

thanks for the welcome and all that, my partner got me into this site and i must say it's 'rather fun' and all that. given me some evil ideas for our next run!

torz x wobble.gif
winterhawk11
torzzzzz: Aberystwyth, huh? Cool! I visited there back in '97 and loved it. (I remember our small group of Americans was amazed to find a Safeway there. smile.gif ) In fact, the spouse and I liked it so much that there's now an elite cyberclinic there in our game. smile.gif

Oh, and poll-wise, just to stay on topic--I'm female. Been gaming since '83 and playing Shadowrun pretty much since it came out. I always play male characters--I just prefer it that way. Never had any problem with the guys in the game...in fact, I married one of 'em. smile.gif
Nikoli
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

It's called IRC
torzzzzz
winterhawk11
Never had any problem with the guys in the game...in fact, I married one of 'em. 

must admit i have no problems with our group but well i'm marrying one, the other is my brother and a the rest of the reprobates are friends. Just because i am engaged to one it dousent mean i wont play dirty in the game ether!

glad you like Aber its a nice place abit quiet tho!

ehehehehehehhehehe spin.gif

torz x
kevyn668
QUOTE (Nikoli)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 16 2005, 02:03 PM)

It's called IRC

Actually, its called "The Sims." smile.gif Newer versions are tailored to be more attractive to females. It's not an RPG like we think of them but its a start. The games focus more on completing tasks that get character upgrades (like outfits and new dosses) and building relationships with AI characters. I think it was in PlayStation Magazine (Dec or Jan).

Back when I played the Other Game, we usually had 6-8 players. 2 of which were girls. They were started playing b/c they were dating guys in the group. One was really good (and utterly ruthless) the other one was pretty lame (but still UTTERLY ruthless). Unfortunately the lame girl was also the DM's chica. We tolorated it b/c A) she was his chica and B) we hoped she'd get better.

The problem occured when me and one of the other single guys started keeping a secret tally of "narrow misses" and "bad moster rolls." Guess who had inordinate amount. We could've said something but I didn't bother to do a statistical analysis so we decided to just wait it out. Eventually she got better at RPing and her number of "lucky rolls" fell back down (mostly because she didn't put her characters in spots where they'd need luck to get out)
tisoz
Groups I have been in usually run about 20% female, most of the time the female is a wife or girlfriend. Luckily they have been good and enthusiastic roleplayers. There have been a couple of times the female joined without it being because of a significant other.

One game I enjoyed was GMed by the husband of a lady that kept wanting me to Control Actions or Control Mind on NPCs. After the umpteenth time, I said, "I'll try." The GM gave me a puzzled look and quietly asked if I had that spell. I shook my head, and he grinned and said, "It doesn't seem to be working."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012