Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smart Link 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shockwave_IIc
Erm called Shot with a SL2 ends up at base TN not +2 as it doesn't mention that the other part of the SL's benefit is overridden.

Not that i have a problem with called shots as i turned round to my players and said
"You start doing called shots needlessly then so will the bad guys. how PC's you got? cos i have a shed load of bad guys."

Seemed to work.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
"You start doing called shots needlessly then so will the bad guys. how PC's you got? cos i have a shed load of bad guys."

Seemed to work.

This is my same threat I make with APDS or any other "fun" things the PC's decide they want to do.

You sire, are evil! vegm.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)

I've never stated it so explicitly, simply because we (that is my group) told another GM,"How many players you've got? Kill us all and we'll just give you our old character sheets."

One more thing, Physical Barrier spells can't be bypassed because they aren't Armour.
mfb
i use called shots on my players all the time.
Kanada Ten
I'm just saying that the canon rule for call shot is pointless while the FAQ one has merits.

That's simply not true. It's a gamble for low skill characters with low power weapons, and other instances. Remember that most NPCs will stop fighting after a Moderate wound, but with a Pistols skill of 1 and a Light Pistol against an "average" enemy... One simply prays for a success, and that the target only gets one success on dodge. It's just a high risk gamble, but sometimes worthwhile.

The big brute shoves you into the alley, knocking your head against the simbrick. Rain, darkness, and mist swirl around you as the figure looms. Fumbling for the hold-out stuffed in your jacket, you shove it against the assailant's head and pull the trigger.

Now, with two dice, the odds on rolling even a single 9 don't seem very good, certainly not much better than a 13 (which is the same as rolling a 12) for the Called Shot. But even if you manage to get a 9, that won't stop the attacker should it inflict a Light Wound on him. The only hope is the Call Shot dealing him a Moderate.
mfb
or, as i said above, for when you can use modifiers to lower the TN to ~4 or less.
Kanada Ten
Can one call a shot using a shotgun? That could get super nasty.
mfb
by the rules, yeah. if you're looking for realism, though... well, honestly? if you're looking for realism? don't use SR's shotgun rules.
BitBasher
At close ranges, even with the choke open on a normal shotgun it doesn't spread that much at all really. A lot less than most people think it does. Only at long ranges would making acalled shot be kind of pointless.
mfb
in real life, calling a shot with a shotgun isn't a bad idea, even at long range. as i recall, spread is only like 6" at 300yd, or something ridiculous.
Moirdryd
also, i recall it states that Shotguns in SR use mostly solid shells instead of buckshot but the choke and spread rules are provided for those who want to use the buckshot.
Fortune
I only allow Called Shots for 'effect' (or to hit tires and such). With the abstract armor system in Shadowrun, this seems to be the most sensible in my opinion.
toturi
I'd allow Called Shot to bypass mainly because of M & M, otherwise, it would result in a Called Shot to bypass armour applicable only for Gel Rounds only.

However, I would only allow Called Shot to bypass armour, not a Called Shot to specific hit location.
Arethusa
QUOTE (mfb)
in real life, calling a shot with a shotgun isn't a bad idea, even at long range. as i recall, spread is only like 6" at 300yd, or something ridiculous.

Whoah, 6" at 300yds? That's really, really optimistic, even with the tighest choke in the world.
mfb
ergh. "optimistic" isn't the word--"impossible" or, more accurately, "mfb is batshit insane" fits better. according to this site, you can get 70% of your shot into a 30" circle at 40 yards if you use the tightest choke commonly available.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Feb 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Feb 18 2005, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Rolemodel @ Feb 18 2005, 06:08 AM)
Really.  Seriously.  Called shots bypassing armor is perhaps one of the most unbalancing issues I have with ranged combat.  The SL-2 just facilitates this, and while the option to call a specific shot of the body/vehicle/etc., is a viable option, and one that should be encouraged in certain circumstances...

...reducing armor to zero is more or less complete shit.

What "special circumstances" are you talking about? A head-shot is a head-shot. Unless they've been encased in carbonite, I'm not sure how they'd plan to avoid massive damage without armor.

The ranged combat rules in the main book do not allow head shots. They only allow vague "called shots" that increase the damage level by 1. Head shots is something the FAQ introduced.

The head-shot is just an example is happend to choose.

My argument is pro-armor bypass, that meaning, if you get to make "a called shot" then I can see where allowing armor bypass would be allowed since you will probably making a attempt to hit a area less-protected (head, neck, etc.)

Yes. My reference to -complete shit- would be in regards to the utter abandonment of the balance of the core game mechanics.

Core game mechanics. Perhaps that's not a can of worms that really need to be opened. Regardless, as our third installation of the rapidly-less-cyberpunk-than-it-used-to-be Shadowrun system plainly put out on called shots as follows - When you aim for a 'called shot', you stage the damage level up.

The silly notion of ignoring Ballistic/Impact was introduced in a FAQ written by some summer intern that liked to roll dice around his desk and 'appear to be as helpful as possible!11!!1! d00d!11!'.

But, on the flipside, if you want to maintain balance but ignore armor? Sure, there's room for that. Just assign a +8 TN modifier to headshots, and adjust accordingly for other parts of the body. That'd be a /little/ better, anyway.

-RoleModel
Tarantula
QUOTE (Fortune)
I only allow Called Shots for 'effect' (or to hit tires and such). With the abstract armor system in Shadowrun, this seems to be the most sensible in my opinion.

Just a note for everyone. There are rules for calling a shot to a tire, regular tires and armored tires have body ratings, armor ratings, and can resist the damage. I think on a M or worse wound regular tires deflate, and add +2 to the handling of the vehicle. Armored/run-flat deflate when destroyed and I think runflats only add +1 to the handling. Again, check these rules yourselves, but I know they exist.
mfb
yes, it must have been some silly intern, and not a logical attempt to consolidate four different sets of called shot rules. the current called shot FAQ answer certainly couldn't be laid at the feet of the authors of M&M and CC, who originally implemented the concept of bypassing armor with called shots. nope, must have been some intern.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (mfb)
yes, it must have been some silly intern, and not a logical attempt to consolidate four different sets of called shot rules. the current called shot FAQ answer certainly couldn't be laid at the feet of the authors of M&M and CC, who originally implemented the concept of bypassing armor with called shots. nope, must have been some intern.

Precisely. I'm glad you see my point.

It's bad enough that we're surging our brains out. But abstract armor ratings with little basis in reality being overruled by something that parallels logic? Honestly.

-The RoleModel
mfb
*shrug* your opinion of called shots wasn't really what i was arguing with. if you're going to blame somebody, pay attention and blame the right people. otherwise, you look like either an ass or a retard.
Rolemodel
I read you. Lima Charlie, mfb.

And my opinion remains that the game's core designers didn't write the FAQ. I'm certainly open to being proven otherwise, but...

...*Shakes the magic 8-Ball*...

...'My sources say yes.'

-TheRoleModel
mfb
i'm not sure who writes it, but several answers i've recieved have referenced the necessity of clearing things with the line developer before posting them to the FAQ. answers you get by email are, it may be assumed, based solely on the FAQ writer's research and opinions.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Charon)
They had to add this rule in the FAQ. Called shot for increased damage makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone ever used it?

Yes, I have. For a Skill 1 individual, it's sometimes the only option.

~J
Rolemodel
Moving on a half a pace, does anyone out there have any suggestions for location based 'Called Shot' TN modifiers?

A few I've tossed around, here and there.

+8 (+10 at time) Head/Heart
+6 (Hands, Feet.)
+4 (Arms, legs)
+2 (Any other specific, non-critical part of the body.)

~The~Role~Model
Tarantula
So its +2 for a knee? But +4 for a leg? Huh?
Rolemodel
Mmmm. The knee, to my knowledge, is somewhere above the ankle, and below the hip. Commonly called The Leg.

I mean, I'm not exactly a surgeon, but I'd assume that means it's somewhere in the +4 to +4 range. In that range, anyway.

Model!Role
OrphanProcess
QUOTE (Charon)
They had to add this rule in the FAQ. Called shot for increased damage makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone ever used it?

Scenario:

5 dice, 3 combat pool

After all TN modifier except call shot, you have 2 options

9M TN 4
9S TN 8

<snip>

Had a player use it in our last game... He's an adept, sniper style. Aimed for 5 actions, target was stationary, total of -6 to TN. Used a called shot to scale damage, still had a TN 2.

Now, I'll admit... It's not common for him to do this.. This is only the second time he's used that called shot option. Usually lighting, cover, etc. mess up the target numbers. Now once he can use centering on his rifle skill... that's what worries me wink.gif
Kagetenshi
He has Rifles 10? Not bad.

~J
Jrayjoker
So the aim rule is skill/2 maximum simple actions for aiming, right? I can only assume this sniper has been around for a while.

Question, do the improved skill points for a physad power add to the total skill for purposes of aiming?

SL2, it is not even a debate in my book. Use the rules as they are written. if you ever have to pull a gun you better be prepared to use it very well. I can see a runner saving up for this even if SL1 is readily available and cheaper.
Kagetenshi
No, IA does not count for either pool use or aiming.

~J
Tarantula
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
Mmmm. The knee, to my knowledge, is somewhere above the ankle, and below the hip. Commonly called The Leg.

I mean, I'm not exactly a surgeon, but I'd assume that means it's somewhere in the +4 to +4 range. In that range, anyway.

Model!Role

Well, the foot is +6... but a foot is part of the leg also. So does that mean its +2? Or is it +2 +6 for a total of +8? What about an ear? Is it +2 for an ear since its a non-critical part of the body? What if his head happens to be turned, that shooting him in the ear would then cause his head to get hit? How about a cigarette? Weapon in hand? Belt buckle? All +2 for those also?
Rolemodel
I'm sorry. I was a bit intoxicated while pitching a few posts recently. I neglected to mention that final modifer was post SL-2 being attached, and used, in a situation that allows armor to be outright bypassed.

So, to answer your question: It falls under the +4(+2) for called shot, standard rules - And essentially, like many things, specific circumstances call for GM calls that stick to the spirit of the rules, even if they don't match up completely 100%.

So. If you're going to call a headshot, and bypass the 7/5 armor rating of your local Black Ops operative, the TN will reflect the difficulty.

Suppose that makes me somewhat biased against twinky backalley rapes of rules mechanics.

So. Guns. Watches. Your grandmother's external stomach. Really, I don't care, and more than likely a it'll be a +4 unless it turns into an instant kill-o-matic shot.

-RoleModel, slightly more sober this time around. Honest.
LynGrey
I do not allow called shot for location shots on the human body.. or by pass armor.. why you say.. well one thing Flechette ammo.. i use flechette ammo and call shot to bypass armor.. oh look.. you have no armor.. so i get staged damage.. did i mention i'm using the already broken AVS? Yeah look Bam your dead... next please.. BAM youre dead.

As far as SL2, i only give character with a deep back ground involving combat experience, and also not in conjunction with a Firearm skill above 4.. its just nasty if you go above that.
toturi
Yes, using SL2, Called Shot(Bypass armour) and AVS is deadly. But that works both ways. If you are looking for a less lethal game, it is your game afterall.
Fortune
Even without using Called Shots to bypass armor or stage damage, I don't seem to have any lack of lethality in my games.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (Fortune)
Even without using Called Shots to bypass armor or stage damage, I don't seem to have any lack of lethality in my games.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly agreed.

Combat in Shadowrun is deadly enough, without any more help from our resident Summer-Intern-Rules-Adjuster.

TheRoleTheModelTheRoleModel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012