Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Critique
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
BitBasher
QUOTE (Weredigo)
We have different opinions on the matter, let's not hate each other because of it.

While that's all good, he's right. A shifter isn't human and that's perhaps the most important point about them... And something too often overlooked. The posters above have had some good examples of this.

I don't hate anyone on these forums... Anymore wink.gif
Glyph
There is a French film called Baxter that, to me, illustrates how an animal with human intelligence might act - perhaps not actively malevolent, but certainly amoral by human standards, at least in certain ways. Shapeshifters are intelligent, but still think more like animals than humans. They don't act exactly like animals, because a higher intelligence does make a difference, but they will probably find a lot of human behavior to be pointless or irrational.

That doesn't mean a 'shifter always has to be clumsy at fitting in. Fox 'shifters, for example, can have mental capabilities a good deal higher than most humans. But they will still be like "strangers in a strange land", adapting to customs that frequently make no sense to them. And if you play a 'shifter, it is good to occasionally do something to remind the other players that your character is intelligent, but still an animal, and an outsider to human civilization.
Weredigo
I don't hate anyone on these forums... Anymore 

or less
Botch
QUOTE (BitBasher)
[QUOTE]'shifters are not just an animal in a different shape they are a very intelligent animal hybrid which is capable of using its human-analogue intelligence to do a pretty good planned-reward thought routine.[/QUOTE] That's an incorrect use of the word hybrid. Shapoeshifters arte not a hybrid at all, they are zero parts human. None. They are an animal that can appear as if it was human.

Allow me to quote the Critters book:
[QUOTE="Critters, pg 42"]Shapeshifters follow the normal habits of their animal form most of the time (which they seem to prefer over their humanoid form)....

...A shapeshifter lives in it's animal form in the wild..."[/QUOTE] Breeding with your own species is a normal habit of their animal form. Humping other entire species is not.

The word hybrid is defined as a composite of mixed origin. Part animal, part magic; personally I feel that they must to some very small extent be part human or there would be shapeshifters that do not use a human secondary form as adaptive camoflague.

[QUOTE][QUOTE]Please explain how it is counter-intuitive, because I don't see how it is contrary to what common sense would suggest. Many, many species of animal are "on-heat" driven yet have endulge in sexual practices out side of this, I mean, even penguins use prostitution. [/QUOTE] Actually I'd like to see links to support this, only a small handful of animals on earth that procreate for pleasure, mainly humans and dolphins.[/QUOTE]

Care to explain the presence of the mamilian clitoris if it isn't there for fun or the concentration of nerve ending in the penis, which are pretty much the same thing. Have you completely missed the dog shagging legs, etc and the fact that you can get gay dogs? How can a creature be homosexual if sex is not enjoyable and solely driven by male-female procreation urges? Most primates enjoy a quick 5-finger shuffle; the pygmy chimpanze (Bonobo) has a social structure geared entirely around sex. A penguin link

[QUOTE]Allow me to quote the Critters book:
[QUOTE="Critters, pg 42"]Shapeshifters follow the normal habits of their animal form most of the time (which they seem to prefer over their humanoid form)....
[/QUOTE]

Normal habits not all habits, most of the time not all the time, humanoid not human.

[QUOTE]Breeding with your own species is a normal habit of their animal form. Humping other entire species is not.[/QUOTE]

Dolphins, be careful when you say natural or normal, read this first.
Botch
I've now taken the effort to read Critters and have following observations.

Shapeshifters appear as large, well-formed members of an animal species.

They have the innate magical ability to assume a human form

...nor are they humans able to turn into animals.

A shapeshifter lives in its animal form in the wild.

Shapeshifters follow the normal habits of their animal form most of the time (which they prefer over their humanoid form)

So..

1) They only appear to be animals.
2) By using the term "human form" to mean masquerading as a human, the term "animal form" must mean masquerading as an animal because the term "form" is not defined seperately. They are either both human and animal or neither, just a genetically compatible species.
3) By stating that they are not humans it also does nothing to contradict the interpretation that they are not foxes, etc either by making the explicit statement that they are foxes, etc.
4) In its "animal form", not as an animal.
5) Animal form and humaniod form have been given equal weight re-inforcing point 2.
6) The entry for each type of shapeshifter refers to a humanoid form not human form. "Human form" is only mentioned in the first paragraph and as a heading for the statistics summary, the attack type is also listed as humanoid.

Now we have to define humanoid.

1) The classical definition of humanoid is an automatron that resembles a human.
2) Using Websters online dictionary they define humanoid in relation to Sci-Fi and Fantasy to include

Bipedal, 4 limbed, single headed alien
Dwarf
Hobbit or Halfling
Pixie
Leprecheun
Fairy/Faerie/Faery
Elf
Troll
Brownie
Werewolf
Vampire
Zombie
Ghost or Spectre
Wight

Humanoid is also used in modern science to describe Neanderthals and most non-human primates. The word humanoid most definately includes SR meta-humans.

We accept in SR canon that general statements and rules are over powered by specific rules. As the description of each shapeshifter type uses the word humanoid and not human, the use of human in the first paragraph is superceeded and shapeshifters CAN assume the form of meta-humans.

There is absolutely no mention of genetic compatibility or preference in Critters. The only 2 correct inferences that can be drawn is first that they have animal sex when in their "animal form's" habitat and humanoid sex when in metahuman environments or secondly that they only mate with other shapeshifters.

Oh, and finally, BitBasher could you please read, understand and use the content of your signature link or stop using it.
BitBasher
Before we continue, would you like to point out which logic fallacy from my signature you think I'm guilty of violating? Because your entire previous post largely just created arguments by taking individual words out of context and defining them...
Fortune
The accepted Shadowrun term for refering to all the races of humanity is metahuman, not humanoid. The word metahuman does not appear once in reference to any type of shapeshifter. Humanoid form is used merely to differentiate its appearance from the animal form.
DrJest
So, straw poll - does anyone think that shapeshifters should qualify as metahuman? Can they live successfully alongside (the rest of) metahumanity?

I for one vote yes, simply because they are sentient and capable of making their own choices. Bestial natures are, imho, a handicap to be overcome, not an absolute limit on your behavioural range (heck, I know some people would have trouble claiming they acted better than animals...)
tisoz
I agree with Fortune as stated in my previous post.

I also wonder if they used humanoid, after using human, to signify they are not really human. I remember a Looong debate about shapeshifters and breeding. There the argument was they were capable of reproducing with animals in animal form so they should be capable of reproducing with humans in human form. I figured the use of humanoid was to signify they were not human but only capable of that form.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DrJest)
I for one vote yes, simply because they are sentient and capable of making their own choices. Bestial natures are, imho, a handicap to be overcome, not an absolute limit on your behavioural range (heck, I know some people would have trouble claiming they acted better than animals...)

That's a very human way of looking at it.

Shapeshifters make for interesting characters. They aren't metahumans in terms of nomenclature simply because they aren't a subspecies of Homo Sapiens. Should they be accorded rights as humans? Only someone from the Sixth World can truly answer that question, but we can extrapolate. I think that Shifters as Metahumans (or Sasquatches or Ghouls or whatever) could make an argument for gaining more rights, but only if they (they meaning the population of Shifters at large) want them. The main push for Ghouls to be accepted among metahumanity despite their dietary requirement is mainly because they, the Ghoul Population as a whole, want those rights. I don't believe there has ever been a canon mention of a Shapeshifter who fights for the rights of Shifters in a similar fashion... it's simply a non-issue for them. And it's that blatant disregard for "human" rights (which is simply from the perspective of being an animal with a beastial nature) that makes giving legal rights a tricky matter.

Can an old Shifter be taught some new tricks? They are intelligent enough. Will they want to? That's a different question.
DrJest
Although I can see where you're coming from, I think it bears repeating that shifters are sentient. Although a shifter will by definition have a starting viewpoint completely alien to ours, it is no less sentient for all of that. However, its emotional and mental growth is completely environmental; if the shifter stays in the wild and does not encounter humans, then its mental state is going to be animalistic. I think we can safely leave these ones out of the equation, since they have no real impact on shifters within metahuman society. A shifter that associates with humans is going to start basing its mental growth on human attitudes, simply because animals don't have the mental range to challenge the full scope of the shifter's intelligence. Although a shifter may retain - is likely to retain, even - aspects of its animalistic nature, it will define itself as a sentient being by its interactions with other sentient beings,

Therefore the metahuman viewpoint is completely valid in discussing shifters within metahuman society since a shifter's intellectual development must by definition have been shaped by metahuman society (since, conspiracy theories aside, there aren't any non-metahuman societies to influence the shifter).

Um. I hope that made sense.
Garland
QUOTE (DrJest)
it will define itself as a sentient being by its interactions with other sentient beings,

Why would it have to do this? Familiarity with metahumanity may only breed contempt.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see a wolf shifter who encounters humans and lives with them for a while suddenly saying, "I am smarter than my brothers in the wild, so I have MUCH more in common with humans. Henceforth I shall consider myself to be more like them and less like my original pack." I think it'd be a pretty maladjusted shifter (not that I'm saying it's impossible) to come up with a view like that.

A more likely scenario, in my opinion is, "My wild brothers might not be as smart as me, but they make a lot more sense than these humans. How do any of them figure out who's in charge? And what is the deal with this meat that isn't actually meat? Can't they smell each other? Who the frag does this street belong to, anyway and how do they tell? If it wasn't for [whatever reason] I'd be back in the wild in a heartbeat."
DrJest
As I said,

However, its emotional and mental growth is completely environmental; if the shifter stays in the wild and does not encounter humans, then its mental state is going to be animalistic.

By making the decision to live in metahuman society, it has already taken that first step - and it was the shifters in metahuman society that I was discussing.
Garland
There are all kinds of reasons to decide to live among metahumans. It could have nothing to do with an actual like of or identification with that society. It could be that the shifter enjoys less competition from its own kind there, or finds it easier to obtain food. Maybe the shifter hides among metahumans to avoid bringing scrutiny (like from corp researchers) on its pack in the wild, or it's there to punish a corp (or metahumanity in general) that has defiled its natural habitat.

I think maybe what I'm really objecting to is the generalization.

And I don't think sentience has much bearing on the issue. I'd imagine that it's probably of dubious value to a shifter in the wild; it only lets them cope better with encounters outside what their instincts equip them to deal with. In my opinion, it's like a muscle that gets flexed only when it's really needed, and it's less of a headache to just live like an animal.
Fortune
One might also keep in mind that, just as normal metahuman starting characters in Shadowrun are not considered 'newbies', the Shapeshifter character doesn't necessarily have to be new to metahuman civilization. He might very well have been around metahuman society for a while, and learned a thing or two about how things work in this other world.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Garland)
In my opinion, it's like a muscle that gets flexed only when it's really needed, and it's less of a headache to just live like an animal.

Reminds me of a friend's roommate I once knew. biggrin.gif Granted, the person walked the Appalachian Trail about once every 3 years or so...
Garland
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Garland @ Feb 23 2005, 05:58 PM)
In my opinion, it's like a muscle that gets flexed only when it's really needed, and it's less of a headache to just live like an animal.

Reminds me of a friend's roommate I once knew. biggrin.gif Granted, the person walked the Appalachian Trail about once every 3 years or so...

Heh, I was actually thinking about some similar experiences I've had. A trek like that is like prison, or Catholic school. It changes a person. biggrin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Garland)
There are all kinds of reasons to decide to live among metahumans. It could have nothing to do with an actual like of or identification with that society. It could be that the shifter enjoys less competition from its own kind there, or finds it easier to obtain food. Maybe the shifter hides among metahumans to avoid bringing scrutiny (like from corp researchers) on its pack in the wild, or it's there to punish a corp (or metahumanity in general) that has defiled its natural habitat.

From a metagaming standpoint, Shifters have to distribute their attribute points between two physical forms and mental attributes. Those with strong emphasis on their mental attributes and their human form probably aren't going to make it in the wild. Conversely, those who grew up with a strong animal form aren't likely to make it in the "big city". It seems reasonable that they would head to the environment in which they have adapted and molded themselves, finding their own territory and niche to fit in.
Weredigo
My straw vote is yes <ducking for cover >
Botch
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 23 2005, 07:02 PM)
Before we continue, would you like to point out which logic fallacy from my signature you think I'm guilty of violating? Because your entire previous post largely just created arguments by taking individual words out of context and defining them...

According to your sig you commited ...

False Cause
Amphiboly
Composition Fallacy
&
Suppressed Evidence

and to a lesser extent ...

Hasty Generalization

I dropped in the line about your sig. because you give a brief non-contextual quote from critters as the definative interpretation of the section on shapeshifters. Whilst the opening paragraph of descriptive text does reference shapeshifters as being able to adopt a human form the remainder of the shapeshifter section refers to humanoid forms both in general and specifically.

You appear to go on to interprete the statement that shapeshifters are not humans who can take on an animal form as meaning that they are animals that take on human form. This is not an exclusively valid propersition as a full understanding of your fallacy sig. link makes clear. There is another alternative, they can take on the form of an animal and a human, but are neither, just shapeshifter. The continual use of "animal form" and "humanoid form" without defining or expanding on the term "form" does not allow you validly support your interpretation without recourse to information that is not contained within Critters.

There is no explicit statement in the shapeshifter section that shapeshifters are animals. The opening paragraph states that they appear as large specimens of their animal form, not that they ARE large specimens of their animal type. Just because a being is in Critters does not automatically mean it is an animal.

In regard to normal habits and how they affect the behaviour of a shapeshifter you again contracted the available information to give the impression that Critters states that they are animalistic by default and make a special effort to function as a human look-a-like. My reading of that section is that they behave and exhibit behaviour that is suitable to the form they are in and tend to prefer an environment that is suitable to their animal form. Whilst it is directly implied that they are not fully confortable with human society, there is nothing to support that they are well integrated into their animal form's social groups. The nature of the societal organisation of the 'shifters base animal fall into main categories, alpha-pack and individual parental units. For a 'shifter to be outside of this they are either rogue or disinterested in groupings larger than a single family unit.

Yes, the extracts I used from Critters were brief, but they were not taken out of context but rather used as place markers for those interested in reading the section. BitBasher, you yourself have read that section and should be capable of using my reply to your ascertions to re-evaluate both of our interpretations of that section using the full reference material. Short of posting the entire section in this thread most quotes will be called "out-of-context", whether they are or not.

This is the start.

As an aside remeber humans are animals too. Animals that are sentient. Similar to anything else?
DrJest
Here's a question. Where do shifters come from in the first place? If they're a magical mutation of an existing animal type, I could see them being ostracised by the animals - animals as a rule are not tolerant of mutations.

On a similar note, it's worth reading parts of Pratchett's Fifth Elephant. It's comedy, yes, but Angua has some points to make about the relationship between wolves and werewolves that would be pertinent.
Vulpis umbrae
man, how crappy would it be to make a shifter character that is not a magic user?
I've wanted to make one for a while now, and figure if I don't want to be a shaman or mage, I've gotta go adept, even though he'll blow really hard for a while.

Without access to masking, you're in trouble, and if you're not magical you'll be the slowest bastard ever. The extra buildpoints for being mundane don't really add up to the lack of possibly for ass-kicking advancement being an adept.

Do you just have to bite the bullet and have crappy skills/stats for a while, relying on being able to take a shotgun slug to the heart and be 'cool' 3 seconds later to make it to the point where you're not too bad?

Shifters seem like a really good roleplaying opportunity, with a good GM...just a little cost prohibitive. They should weaken regeneration and reduce the cost a bit.

Just my two cents (or nuyen)
BitBasher
According to your sig you commited ...

False Cause
Amphiboly
Composition Fallacy
&
Suppressed Evidence

and to a lesser extent ...

Hasty Generalization
Woo, time to address the issues!

I dropped in the line about your sig. because you give a brief non-contextual quote from critters as the definative interpretation of the section on shapeshifters.
No, I gave a brief non-contextual quote from critters as my interpretation of shapeshifters. SR is not set in stone, nor do I believe it should be, Many things in SR are open to multiple interpretations, and this is merely mine. It's not intended to be the only way to interpret, it's just my way.

Whilst the opening paragraph of descriptive text does reference shapeshifters as being able to adopt a human form the remainder of the shapeshifter section refers to humanoid forms both in general and specifically.
Yes, and as humanoid refers to a shape, not a race (which is human or metahuman) I fail to see the relevance.

You appear to go on to interprete the statement that shapeshifters are not humans who can take on an animal form as meaning that they are animals that take on human form. This is not an exclusively valid propersition as a full understanding of your fallacy sig. link makes clear.
You're right those two things are not exclusive in and of themselves in a vaccuum. However, Generally speaking all mammals are animals, as (and you noted below) are humans. Since shapeshifters are explicitly not human, and they are by definition animals I don't see how this statement is untrue in this case. Technically humans and shapeshifters are both animals, but that doesn;t make the shapeshifter human.

There is another alternative, they can take on the form of an animal and a human, but are neither, just shapeshifter. The continual use of "animal form" and "humanoid form" without defining or expanding on the term "form" does not allow you validly support your interpretation without recourse to information that is not contained within Critters.
This is ignoring that their natural form is in fact the animal, which has been expounded on in multiple sources in SR canon. My arguments based on shifters are not wholly limited to the critters book, and I never claimed I was limiting myself to solely the critters book.

There is no explicit statement in the shapeshifter section that shapeshifters are animals. The opening paragraph states that they appear as large specimens of their animal form, not that they ARE large specimens of their animal type. Just because a being is in Critters does not automatically mean it is an animal.
Do you mean other than:

1) Shapeshifters are specifically referred to as a creature in their description in the first paragraph.

2) Shapeshifters are listed specifically as large versions of their animal form with the innate magical ability to change to a human form. They are not listed as having two basic nonmagical forms, it's explicitly stated the change to human form is an innate magical effect. Also in the first paragraph.

3) Viewing the shapeshifter astrally automatically reveals it's true form, which refers to its animal form. This is backed up in at least one canon module IIRC.

In regard to normal habits and how they affect the behaviour of a shapeshifter you again contracted the available information to give the impression that Critters states that they are animalistic by default and make a special effort to function as a human look-a-like.
I said this because it specifically stated they prefer their animal forma, and the animal form is specifically listed an innate magical ability. Since the human form is the effect of magic, and because of information from other SR books, the animal form is in fact presented as the default.

My reading of that section is that they behave and exhibit behaviour that is suitable to the form they are in and tend to prefer an environment that is suitable to their animal form. Whilst it is directly implied that they are not fully confortable with human society
No argument here

there is nothing to support that they are well integrated into their animal form's social groups. The nature of the societal organisation of the 'shifters base animal fall into main categories, alpha-pack and individual parental units. For a 'shifter to be outside of this they are either rogue or disinterested in groupings larger than a single family unit.
I dont remember anything from any canon source that addresses this at all. Page number or book reference for shapeshifter scocietal organization please?

Yes, the extracts I used from Critters were brief, but they were not taken out of context but rather used as place markers for those interested in reading the section. BitBasher, you yourself have read that section and should be capable of using my reply to your ascertions to re-evaluate both of our interpretations of that section using the full reference material. Short of posting the entire section in this thread most quotes will be called "out-of-context", whether they are or not.
Actually in a general sense both interpretations could be allowed by the text, alshout I feel your interpretation is a serious reach of the material, and can only really be valid allowing the other sources in SR where shapeshifters have appeared.

As an aside remeber humans are animals too. Animals that are sentient. Similar to anything else?
Yes, but in SR where there are several, or many species that meets that description it means very little. smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DrJest)
Here's a question. Where do shifters come from in the first place? If they're a magical mutation of an existing animal type, I could see them being ostracised by the animals - animals as a rule are not tolerant of mutations.

They aren't? Where are you getting this? Perhaps in certain social subsets of animals, but I don't think it's a general rule that mutants are ostracized by animals.
Botch
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Do you mean other than:

1) Shapeshifters are specifically referred to as a creature in their description in the first paragraph.

2) Shapeshifters are listed specifically as large versions of their animal form with the innate magical ability to change to a human form. They are not listed as having two basic nonmagical forms, it's explicitly stated the change to human form is an innate magical effect. Also in the first paragraph.

3) Viewing the shapeshifter astrally automatically reveals it's true form, which refers to its animal form. This is backed up in at least one canon module IIRC.

In regard to normal habits and how they affect the behaviour of a shapeshifter you again contracted the available information to give the impression that Critters states that they are animalistic by default and make a special effort to function as a human look-a-like.
I said this because it specifically stated they prefer their animal forma, and the animal form is specifically listed an innate magical ability. Since the human form is the effect of magic, and because of information from other SR books, the animal form is in fact presented as the default.

My reading of that section is that they behave and exhibit behaviour that is suitable to the form they are in and tend to prefer an environment that is suitable to their animal form. Whilst it is directly implied that they are not fully confortable with human society
No argument here

there is nothing to support that they are well integrated into their animal form's social groups. The nature of the societal organisation of the 'shifters base animal fall into main categories, alpha-pack and individual parental units. For a 'shifter to be outside of this they are either rogue or disinterested in groupings larger than a single family unit.
I dont remember anything from any canon source that addresses this at all. Page number or book reference for shapeshifter scocietal organization please?

Actually in a general sense both interpretations could be allowed by the text, alshout I feel your interpretation is a serious reach of the material, and can only really be valid allowing the other sources in SR where shapeshifters have appeared.

Yes, but in SR where there are several, or many species that meets that description it means very little. smile.gif

No, I gave a brief non-contextual quote from critters as my interpretation of shapeshifters. SR is not set in stone, nor do I believe it should be, Many things in SR are open to multiple interpretations, and this is merely mine. It's not intended to be the only way to interpret, it's just my way.

So far you have only cited Critters as direct source material (other than nebulous novels) and yet feel that it contains enough information to state ...

Actually shapeshifter's AREN'T a species in that manner really. A shapeshifter is a genetic abberation of the normal base animal of the type that is born to the base animal of the type. They don't have shapeshifter colonies, befcause shapeshifters are a subset of, and are a part of the original animal cultures. Except of course, those that leave their family and become shadowrunners.

This information is not in Critters, if you could quote the book and pages references, that would move the discussion on.

Whilst the opening paragraph of descriptive text does reference shapeshifters as being able to adopt a human form the remainder of the shapeshifter section refers to humanoid forms both in general and specifically.
Yes, and as humanoid refers to a shape, not a race (which is human or metahuman) I fail to see the relevance.

Well, it specifically states that they can only transform into an almost-human appearance and continues from that point onwards to describe their appearance as humanoid, not human. How can metahuman be defined as a specific race? It is the same type of catch-group term as humanoid is. We can only say it looks somewhat like a human, so do orks, dwarves, and elves. Tall, thin, pointy ears, bit odd around the eyes; fox 'shifter or elf, from that description alone?

You appear to go on to interprete the statement that shapeshifters are not humans who can take on an animal form as meaning that they are animals that take on human form. This is not an exclusively valid propersition as a full understanding of your fallacy sig. link makes clear.
You're right those two things are not exclusive in and of themselves in a vaccuum. However, Generally speaking all mammals are animals, as (and you noted below) are humans. Since shapeshifters are explicitly not human, and they are by definition animals I don't see how this statement is untrue in this case. Technically humans and shapeshifters are both animals, but that doesn;t make the shapeshifter human.

That is terrible logic to justify you prior points. You have taken that, because it is not human, it must be the base animal type with some magic and brains. By removing the word animal and using specifically the term fox we should be able to clarify a bit.

a) It is not a human which turns into a fox
b) It can appear as a humanoid
c) It can appear as a large, healthy fox

So, not a human, but neither is it definiatively a fox. Animal yes, but not an member of the 'shifter base "animal form", just "appears to be a large, well-formed" fox. There is nothing in the Venn grouping that would allow you to apply consistent interpretational logic to that section of critters in the way you have.

There is another alternative, they can take on the form of an animal and a human, but are neither, just shapeshifter. The continual use of "animal form" and "humanoid form" without defining or expanding on the term "form" does not allow you validly support your interpretation without recourse to information that is not contained within Critters.
This is ignoring that their natural form is in fact the animal, which has been expounded on in multiple sources in SR canon. My arguments based on shifters are not wholly limited to the critters book, and I never claimed I was limiting myself to solely the critters book.

By castigating thread replies that do not contain book references and page numbers, and by only citing Critters as reference you did limit the information under discussion to only Critters or committed a argumentative fallacy. Nowhere in that section does it say that a fox shapeshifter is a fox, merely that it can appear as a fox and as a humanoid. It goes on to expressly state that the "humanoid form" is not human, without stating that the "animal form" is the actual animal in question. This is very important when decrying shapeshifter culture/habits.

This is not SR knowledge, so no page numbers can be referenced. To deny Where'dhego his 'shifter sub-cultures because they are only genetic abherrations on a base animal species, you must first understand what and how their societal organization functions. 'Shifters by their very being would find it equally hard to immerse themselves in the social groupings of either form.

I would like to know why shapeshifters cannot breed with humans, will not have sex with humans, cannot have their own cultures, do not form communities of 'shifters, or be able to immitate metahumans. If you could provide book names and page numbers I would like combine this additional information with those cited from Critters to build the whole picture portrayed by yourself.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Botch)
Well, it specifically states that they can only transform into an almost-human appearance and continues from that point onwards to describe their appearance as humanoid, not human. How can metahuman be defined as a specific race? It is the same type of catch-group term as humanoid is. We can only say it looks somewhat like a human, so do orks, dwarves, and elves. Tall, thin, pointy ears, bit odd around the eyes; fox 'shifter or elf, from that description alone?

*sighs* I'm tempted to play Earthdawn again, after this long-winded thread. The term "Namegiver" comes to mind, and was pretty unambiguous.

Shapeshifters are no more metahuman (no Human DNA) than Sasquatches. I think Metahuman only applies to a subset of beings who can all breed with each other in the Homo Sapiens species.
tisoz
I'm sure I posted it earlier, but don't plan going looking for the post.

Read SR Companion, it uses human form exclusively, not metahuman form. Thr preceding section, dealing with ghouls, uses the term metahuman. I think they made a distinction between human and metahuman for a reason. IMO, it means they can only shapechange between human form, not any metahuman form, and their animal form.

The info in Critters where they don't even want to commit to human but use humanoid extensively, leads me to believe they do not become human but only take on human humanoid form.

Sex with humans, yes. Breed with humans, no. And If you disagree, fine. There was about a 300 post thread about this previousely, and I would rather pound nails into my head than get into a similar argument.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012