Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial Arts Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Dog @ Mar 6 2005, 06:39 PM)
hahnsoo: It was sarcasm, go get a coffee.

I knew it was sarcasm when I posted. I still say that humility is the way to go.

And I can't drink coffee, it makes me go color blind. No, I don't know why. No, it doesn't make sense. I've not found a single case report or journal article that supports the mechanism. But that doesn't stop it from happening.
Dog
(this response was to CJ's last comments)
Fair enough, I'll clarify:

My face to face experience has taught me that when the topic of martial arts comes up, most of the people you talk to are not as knowledgeable as they think they are and lack real experience. I see no reason to suspect otherwise on this board. Now, since we seem to mostly be red-blooded testosterone laced males between puberty and retirement around here, almost all of us want to believe we can kick ass. Therefor I expect that any comment that insinuates one person has greater knowledge or skill on the topic will invite all sorts of suffering because the very nature of this board provides us with a safe, anonymous venue to be tough guys, whether we are really such or not. Whereas most guys don't seem to feel their manhood is at stake if I tell them I'm better at singing on stage in tights.
I am sure there are also rare-steak eating badasses on this board, but like I said, they're probably also smart enough not to get dragged into this.

And I have posted to martial-arts related questions on this board with similar results, going back a year or more, when I posted as Tag. But, like then. MOST particpants are too smart to get riled up, while SOME get all pissy about it.

Better?
hahnsoo
*shakes head, sighing* I personally don't care about martial arts nor have I ever commented on them. My closest experience was disarming a rather stupid knife-wielding thief who wanted my wallet in Northside Chicago and watching the guy run off, but I have no formal training. I do think that you are reaping what you are sowing, dude. How can you expect people to respect what you have to say, speaking the way you do?
Dog
Is this where everyone rags on hahnsoo because how should he really know colour blind? What, we just gonna take your word that you can't drink coffee?
Man, some people just post on this board 'cause they want everyone to think they're some kinda genetic peculiarity who's colour blind, can't drink coffee, but disarms knife wielding thugs. Am I just s'pose to beleive you can tell me about coffee drinking now? biggrin.gif
Now, respect'd be nice, but I'd rather be right. wink.gif
Crimson Jack
Whatever. If it makes you feel better to assume that everyone is... "pissy"... about your comments, then so be it. I didn't read anyone's comments as being such.

I can tell you that for myself, I don't consider myself a badass, unless its a challenge of drawing/illustrating. Nothing about what you said had anything to do with my id being squished or deflated. I just found your comments to be brash and unmerited, given that you don't know anything about any other person on the board.

Your own personal experience is just that, your own. You reword the same egotistical view of everyone with claims of martial prowess, as you did in your original post. Assuming that they are all a bunch of talk and not worth their salt. My point is based only in logic, not in wounded ego, as I have nothing to prove as far as which color my belt is (it's leather).
Dog
Then why did you just post?

And, umm... I did capitalize SOME. You're saying everyone a lot when you quote me, go read it over again. Now who's making assumptions?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Dog)
Is this where everyone rags on hahnsoo because how should he really know colour blind?

The one big difference between his statement and yours is this: His involves a statement about himself, which could or could not be true. There's no proving it one way or the other. Yours involved a statement about everyone on this board's level of martial arts experience, which also could or could not be true... but everyone here knows that you can't possible know that. Therefore, its bullshit to assume anything. Is it that tough to understand?

Why not just say, "In my experience, I've come across a lot of people who boast and brag about how badass they are, but when it comes to shove... I take 'em down."

Rather than, "In my experience, I've come across a lot of people who boast and brag about how badass they are. I see no reason why everyone here on dumpshock isn't the same way."

Gawdamn, son. It's really easy.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Dog @ Mar 6 2005, 07:10 PM)
Now, respect'd be nice, but I'd rather be right. wink.gif

And your counter-transference statement about everyone else having egos and being testosterone-filled idiots was right? I seriously doubt that... ironically, it is wrong AND it doesn't get you any respect.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Dog)
Then why did you just post?

Because its a lot of fun when someone like you starts yapping like they know everything about everyone. It aint wounds that are the inspiration for my retorts. It's amusement.
Dog
Once again, you guys are saying 'everyone', not me.

I said 'seems', 'appears', 'too many' and 'some'. In this case, some seems to be two.
hahnsoo
I'm saying you need to learn to lurk before you leap, and that you lack basic fundamentals of etiquette, let alone netiquette. If all you are going to do is pick apart other people, then folks are going to tear into you like the troll that you are. Don't be that troll. Say sorry, learn humility, post your experience rather than your dogma. No one cares about your credentials, they only care about what you have to contribute.
Dog
Not yet, not until you say that 'everyone' was your choice of word. biggrin.gif
hahnsoo
And what are you going to do if I don't, martial arts master? Come over here and kick my ass? smile.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Dog)

I said 'seems', 'appears', 'too many' and 'some'. In this case, some seems to be two.

I've said Banana, Enima, therefore, and Cheesewhiz sometime today, but I don't see how that's relavent either wink.gif
Dog
Umm... no hahnsoo, I think I'll just ignore you.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Dog @ Mar 6 2005, 05:20 PM)

I said 'seems', 'appears', 'too many' and 'some'.  In this case, some seems to be two.

I've said Banana, Enima, therefore, and Cheesewhiz sometime today, but I don't see how that's relavent either wink.gif

Whoah. I don't know what you have planned for tonight, but count me out.
Fresno Bob
Didn't you buy any meat?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Dog)
Umm... no hahnsoo, I think I'll just ignore you.

So nothing's changed, eh? Just keep ignoring what I'm saying and go off to your egotistical world of martial artist superiority. If I'm not the one to get you to think, then it'll probably be someone else eventually.
DocMortand
OY!

I complained once about the chambara bashing, then I shut up. 'Taint gonna win against THIS crowd, egos or not. Everyone has an opinion...and they are entitled to it. Whether they are idiots or idiot savants.

sheesh...go ahead, keep bashing each other...makes you all look mature. *grin*
Arethusa
Yeah, you complained, and unfortunately were clearly wrong— and you sure as hell didn't look too great throwing a fit afterwards. Not doing too great here, either.
DocMortand
*bah* It may not be an art to you, but it is to others. Although if you want to start trading insults, feel free. rotfl.gif
Tziluthi
Dude. If you want a discussion on Martial Arts, go visit Bullshido.com and see what kind of reception you get when you exclaim that Tai chi or Tae Kwon Do would be a good martial art for anything. smile.gif

Dog, you're probably wise to just give this thread up. The mob has turned against you, and nothing will turn their opinion to your favour.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Tziluthi @ Mar 6 2005, 10:14 PM)
Dude. If you want a discussion on Martial Arts, go visit Bullshido.com and see what kind of reception you get when you exclaim that Tai chi or Tae Kwon Do would be a good martial art for anything. smile.gif

Yeah, I took TKD for 3 years (got to purple belt...had to restart due to move) and it can be impressive, but in a street fight you wouldn't catch me kicking high kicks. Sweeps, maybe.

bullshido.com, huh? I'll have to check it out, thanks.

[edit] ROFL! The article saying a TKD studio got held up reminded me of one of my TKD teachers. At the start of white belt he told us newbies "If you are held up by a guy with a gun, GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY AND DON'T BE STUPID."
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (DocMortand)
[edit] ROFL! The article saying a TKD studio got held up reminded me of one of my TKD teachers. At the start of white belt he told us newbies "If you are held up by a guy with a gun, GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY AND DON'T BE STUPID."

Number One Self-Defense Technique: "Here is my wallet Sir"

That being said... TKD, street situation... well, if you've got the split-second to do one of the kicks, there are some really nice hard ones that should make the person want to go somewhere else..
torzzzzz
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Dog @ Mar 6 2005, 06:39 PM)
hahnsoo: It was sarcasm, go get a coffee.

I knew it was sarcasm when I posted. I still say that humility is the way to go.

And I can't drink coffee, it makes me go color blind. No, I don't know why. No, it doesn't make sense. I've not found a single case report or journal article that supports the mechanism. But that doesn't stop it from happening.

Do you think it may be a caffeine allergy, do you have the same responce when you drink tea, or red bull (caffine drink) or take proplus?

torz x wink.gif
Tarantula
Dog, as far as you having had experience "trading punches", jiu-jitsu is mianly a grappling martial art, and doesn't tend to have much emphasis or training in strikes. Thusly, I doubt that while you may have a lot of combat experience, that much of it was in the way of trading punches.
Tziluthi
Dude, don't even go there. I train in jujitsu and the first 3 belts are largely striking. Unless Dog is talking aout B/GJJ in which case, yeah, probably just grappling. On the other hand he could just be speaking euphemistically, in which 'trading punches' might mean 'getting into fights'.
Tarantula
Just how traditional of a jiu-jitsu school are you going to? A lot of modern schools tend to merge styles lately, especially if a particular style is lacking in one area. Jiu-jitsu is typically lacking in strikes, so less traditional schools will often teach people basic strikes when starting out.
Tziluthi
Probably my school is less traditional then some, but then, Dog's probably is as well. Assuming that he does JJJ. I think you will find that the schools that teach strikes are probably in the majority in western countries.

EDIT: Rereading Dog's earlier posts, it turns out that he does combat Jujitsu. A quick search on google will reveal to you that it is indeed JJJ, but it uses strikes and soforth.
Dog
(Dog pokes his head in the door and glances around suspiciously...)

Psst...Tziluthi, check Bissett Combat Jiu-Jitsu in Winnipeg. Look familiar to you?
Tarantula, I gotta agree, you really can't tell what you're gonna get just based on what they call it.

(Quickly shuts door...)
vapor
wow.

if there was a need for professional threadjackers there are a few people here who could be making millions...
Tarantula
Well, no you can't. If people would use the correct terms for what it is you could, but especially with martial arts, they're gradually blending together until one and another are rather quite similar, maybe a distinction here or there, but nothing too terrible. Thus, when someone actually uses a specific name for their art, I assume they're discussing that specific art defined under that name, not something based off it, or a weird western variant offshoot of it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Aku @ Feb 27 2005, 10:54 PM)
well, realistically speaking, Tai chi training isnt really a combative style, it's ment to relax and things like that. So thats kind of understandable.

Sped up however it can work, but i dont know how those rules are currently written to do anything with them.

Uh, actually, tai chi is a real martial art. I don't know how good it is compared to other CMAs or how it would stand up to MMA, but it was originally designed to be combative. It's just that here in the US we have leigons of wussy tai chi teachers at health clubs who don't know how to fight, so that kind of pees in the pool, so to speak.

EDIT: Also, while we're talking about bullshido.com, I also post as Wounded Ronin there. If you pay 20 bucks to get special supporting member access, you can even read my training log. Booya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012