Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
i hear you can get pills for that, now.
Nikoli
Yeah, but it's more fun this way
mmu1
QUOTE (Prospero)
It sure will - if it hits where you are. I imagine the NAN war to be a geurilla war. There have been references to U.S. citizens (non-natives and natives, I suppose) hiding troops during the war and to the major leaders like Howling Coyote moving around all the time a la Iraqi insurgent groups and al-Qieda (sp?). Just look at those groups for an example - given Ghost-Dance level mojo that no one knows about or understands, they'd be a major threat.

Oh, I see... So the rise of the NAN was dependant on people being willing to hide a bunch of guerillas whose plan was to do, what, again? Secede from the union and throw all the "anglos" off the land? Good luck with that agenda.

Being a guerilla works if you have a much larger friendly population to hide in.

The reality of the matter is that the NAN vs. the US Army confrontation was about as well thought-out and reasonable as Japan vs. Godzilla or Earth vs. Mars. It's a war won through Deus Ex Machina, up there with gems like nuke-resistant robots in the Animatrix.
Prospero
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Mar 8 2005, 03:55 PM)
It sure will - if it hits where you are. I imagine the NAN war to be a geurilla war. There have been references to U.S. citizens (non-natives and natives, I suppose) hiding troops during the war and to the major leaders like Howling Coyote moving around all the time a la Iraqi insurgent groups and al-Qieda (sp?). Just look at those groups for an example - given Ghost-Dance level mojo that no one knows about or understands, they'd be a major threat.

Oh, I see... So the rise of the NAN was dependant on people being willing to hide a bunch of guerillas whose plan was to do, what, again? Secede from the union and throw all the "anglos" off the land? Good luck with that agenda.

Being a guerilla works if you have a much larger friendly population to hide in.

The reality of the matter is that the NAN vs. the US Army confrontation was about as well thought-out and reasonable as Japan vs. Godzilla or Earth vs. Mars. It's a war won through Deus Ex Machina, up there with gems like nuke-resistant robots in the Animatrix.

It's not horribly reasonable and it isn't going to be, that's true enough. But I do think that the geurilla war thing is not such a bad way to go. I mean, there had to be lots of normal people who were willing to hide NAN fighters. They'd just been stuck in concentration camps by the government and subjected to horrible prejudice. I'm sure there were plenty of groups who were willing to support them just because of that. And I also doubt that their ultimate goals were well known. Hell, I bet a lot of different soldiers had a lot of different goals. I cna't believe it was a rigidly organized movement. So I doubt that secession of most of the western US was a widely proclaimed goal. Most people probably just thought they were fighting to come to some deal so they wouldn't be put back in camps or something. But there's no cannon anything about this, AFAIK, so it's just my opinion of they way things would have to go to inject even a little realism.

And Crimsondude 2.0: I'm sure the government did give a fuck. I mean, you can disappear people to some extent and it's small potatoes, but launching a major missle strike on, say, Albuquerque, NM would pretty much signal the end of any pretense of legitamate government and there would be serious problems domistically and internationally, as most of the world starts to worry about who is in control of the last superpower.
Crimsondude 2.0
They already lost legitimacy when they interned the Natives. What difference would it make when compared to losing what's just south of Albuquerque?

But like I said, I don't think too hard about it because if I did, a) my head would explode, and b) it wouldn't make a fucking bit of difference.
shadow_scholar
Regarding how the U.S. Army got their hoop kicked by some groups of Natives dancing around I think the writers depended heavily on the magic aspect. Which I think could make sense if you think about the psychological impact magic would have. All of the sudden all those young kids who've never seen, never believed, and never thought those miraculous things happening were possible get scared out of their wits and put down their arms. I'm sorry, but if I were to see something like a dozen tornadoes heading for my base I'm frickkin gone. This was a weapon that the U.S. not only didn't have, but didn't understand. I think maybe the writers were trying to set up an ironic parallel to what happened to the first natives that saw the white man come with his horses, steel, and gunpowder. Those are weapons you don't understand and don't have at your disposal. And when your weapons you use don't have any effect, what then? That's right, if you're a soldier, eff Uncle Sam and that contract you signed, you're mortally afraid and run away. Or let me put it in a more recent frame of mind, remember what happened to Japan at the end of WW II? After only two friggin' big bombs were dropped they surrendered unconditionally. It was a weapon they didn't have and didn't understand. Create two big, major magical effects (such as a volcano explosion and a dozen tornadoes ripping apart a base) and you've got the U.S. by their balls, and they give up all that land and move their people out because they are in fear. After that the NANs suddenly have a very low population density for all that land, but nobody's gonna be messin' with their borders, at least for a while until everybody catches up, magic-wise.

Plus I remember reading somewhere that the Great Ghost Dance was magic of such a high magnitude the drain was measured in how many people died during the ritual. I'd say it was the largest use of magic ever seen in this world, maybe before, but definitely since.
Crimsondude 2.0
Hundreds died, IIRC.

And there were three big magical effects: Redondo Peak erupting, killing around 20,000 people in and around Los Alamos; the tornadoes and storms that took out the 6th Cav while it was invading New Mexico; the eruption of a half-dozen volcanoes along the west coast.

The thing is, I don't doubt the stupifying effect the GGD would have on the U.S. It's that the U.S. is too stupid to know when to give up.
shadow_scholar
Indeed. Well said.
Crimsondude 2.0
I mean, the U.S. government can give up, or it can harken back to the 100,000 airplanes. Make 'em, recruit 'em, turn 'em, or kill 'em. Doesn't matter to them. And given the circumstances, if it means turning various bases (like Bangor) into glowing craters, then so be it. it beats the alternative, because when the U.S. decided to capitulate they were facing an enemy with magic and nuclear weapons.

But like I said, we're too stupid to give up. Even if it means depopulating a bunch of useless states like Washington.

Which brings me to another point: How did a bunch of Indian terrorists launch an ICBM? I can accept them taking over the complex. I can accept the military's inability to take out the missile as it left the silo. But how on Earth did they get the codes to launch that missile?
Kanada Ten
What if we say (since canon says not) that the actual, intended effect of the Great Ghost Dance is some kind of mind control that rolls out despair and saps the will of the enemy? Maybe it only affects those descended from the anglo aggressors or something, and causes their soul to be haunted into surrender.

But how on Earth did they get the codes to launch that missile?

It was a set-up. I don't even think they necessarily launched it themselves, but then I like the IEs.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
What if we say (since canon says not) that the actual, intended effect of the Great Ghost Dance is some kind of mind control that rolls out despair and saps the will of the enemy? Maybe it only affects those descended from the anglo aggressors or something, and causes their soul to be haunted into surrender.

I think, if that explanation were a person, his bones would snap in a light breeze.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
But how on Earth did they get the codes to launch that missile?

It was a set-up. I don't even think they necessarily launched it themselves, but then I like the IEs.

Unfortunately, I don't. it makes a certain amount of sense if you consider the influence of the IEs as presented in canon. It's been my belief, as stupid as it is, that they were responsible for the downfall of the U.S. for various reasons--amongst them being so that it makes it easier to carve out TT from the S-SC rather than Oregon.

But it's still an inordinate amount of handwaving that they happened upon the most secure set of numbers on the planet.
Kanada Ten
But it's still an inordinate amount of handwaving that they happened upon the most secure set of numbers on the planet.

I suppose the question comes down to what methods can be employed to go around the codes altogether? Such as triggering a hypothetical doomsday device or fail-safe (good movie)?

I think, if that explanation were a person, his bones would snap in a light breeze.

Then snap away.
hahnsoo
Just two points, although I'm not favoring either side of the argument for my own sanity:
* The Mormons passively helped the SAIM. There are enough Mormons across the West that I could see them as being a major positive factor.

* The original Great Ghost Dance was supposed to do two things: Make the Buffalo return, and make the White Man go back to his homeland.

Also (not pertinent to Shadowrun), Castle Falkenstein is another RPG that does the Native American Nation thing (set in the Victorian Age, so it's a bit more plausible), and they have an interesting take on the Great Ghost Dance. It's in the "Sixguns and Sorcery" sourcebook which deals with the Post-Civil War US.
Prospero
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I mean, the U.S. government can give up, or it can harken back to the 100,000 airplanes. Make 'em, recruit 'em, turn 'em, or kill 'em. Doesn't matter to them. And given the circumstances, if it means turning various bases (like Bangor) into glowing craters, then so be it. it beats the alternative, because when the U.S. decided to capitulate they were facing an enemy with magic and nuclear weapons.

But like I said, we're too stupid to give up. Even if it means depopulating a bunch of useless states like Washington.

Hey! Washington is good like it is, thanks very much. And, yeah, the U.S. might be too dumb to give up in some situations, but its been a looooong time since there's been a major war on U.S. soil. That's gotta have an effect.

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Which brings me to another point: How did a bunch of Indian terrorists launch an ICBM? I can accept them taking over the complex. I can accept the military's inability to take out the missile as it left the silo. But how on Earth did they get the codes to launch that missile?

They had some magic, right? Mind probe - easy. Even if the Awakening hadn't happened yet (I don't remember what exact year the ICBM thing was), there's a lot of cannon references to the fact that magic worked, you just had to put a lot more effort into it. So someone could have figured out mind probe and gotten the codes.
Crimsondude 2.0
AFAIK, the football doesn't work that way.

AFAIK.
FlakJacket
I always figured it was the US government that launched the missile. They get advance warning that a small faction of SAIM, hell maybe they infiltrated someone and they agitated for the whole idea, is planning to take over the silo so they make a few modifications to the missile. When SAIM makes their moves Washington presses the button and the missile launch sequence starts automatically without the silo controllers needing to do anything and it can't be stopped. They've already fixed the warhead so it doesn't detonate and they only launch a single one so Russia won't retaliate.

Then send in the Delta team who conveniently kill all of the terrorists so there's no-one left to challenge your version of events. The way is now clear for you to throw the natives off of their lands and sell the resources to the corporations.
Crimsondude 2.0
That works, too.

More logical than a bunch of effing IEs, too.
Necro Tech
Maybe the SAIM had inside help. There are many Native Americans in the military and almost anyone can be bought.
Crimsondude 2.0
One of the missile operators was Indian.

Damnation. I retract my question. Something else just occured to me that rendered it moot.
audun
QUOTE (Prospero)
[....] would pretty much signal the end of any pretense of legitamate government and there would be serious problems domistically and internationally, as most of the world starts to worry about who is in control of the last superpower.

We already do... dead.gif
Prospero
QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (Prospero)
[....] would pretty much signal the end of any pretense of legitamate government and there would be serious problems domistically and internationally, as most of the world starts to worry about who is in control of the last superpower.

We already do... dead.gif

Good comment. I have to laugh about it, otherwise I'd cry. smile.gif frown.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Mar 8 2005, 08:59 AM)
Yeah, and despite Aztlan propaganda, the native Indians of Mexico are treated very poorly by the Aztlan government.  I imagine there'd be a steady immigration north to the NAN states.

I meant to reply to this earlier, but while it has been suggested in several books (SBs, novels) what makes you think that any of the NAN countries, or anywhere north of the border, would actually want them?
mfb
the NAN might, just to fill out their own populations. they've got quite a bit of farmland; while the anglo reservations probably maintain a lot of that, there was still a major population shift away from the western mid-west, which means there are a lot of crop fields in need of cheap labor. this meshes nicely with the general drop in crop production and the rise of soy products, as well; if america's breadbasket loses too much labor, natural foodstuffs will become scarce.
Kanada Ten
Or that they'd want to leave? I mean, Mexico hasn't exactly treated them well either, and they still hang on.
Crimsondude 2.0
n/m
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012