Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Clothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
What canon spell would you think would be most appropriate to simulate clothing on a naked metahuman form?

This could be useful, for instance when a Mage ceases to sustain a Shapechange spell, or a unclothed Ally Spirit wants to materialize in it's human form wearing setting-approriate clothing.

Would Entertainment or Trid Entertainment be enough? Or would you need to go all out and use Phantasm or Trid Phantasm?
hahnsoo
Umm, Create Clothing (drain code +1 S, by my reckoning)? With successes (up to force) giving you the number of people you could clothe, or the quality of the clothing (1 success = Rags or Scrubs, 2 successes = M.C.Hammer Pants and vest, 3 successes or higher = normal clothing)? biggrin.gif

I would argue that depending on the character, the viewers might WANT to be voluntary for the illusion spell. ("Dear Ghost! Get some pants on, boy!")
LinaInverse
Unstable molecues...! Oh wait...

OK, "Fashion" says you have to end up with a similar amount of coverage as you started with, so that alone won't do it. Perhaps make a custom Manip spell; there already exist spells to Create Food/Water aren't there? How about a spell to Create Cloth, wrap it around your body, then use "Fashion" to shape it appropriately? Or even better, combine these into 1 spell (and up the Drain accordingly).
Fortune
Yeah, I considered Fashion and Makeover as being not quite right.

Making a new spell wouldn't be difficult. I just really wanted to use one already in canon (if possible), because sometimes GMs can be picky that way. smile.gif
torzzzzz
I would use trid Phantasm, as it is flexible and can't be picked up by technological systems, assuming you know what clothing you want and that you have seen them (only a blind person with no hands would not ) you can recreate it.

torz x wink.gif
Fortune
Yeah, that was my original thought, but the Drain Code's a bitch for that simple a spell.
Aes
And once you walk through an AA area with your trid phantasmic pants and a LS cop gets a lucky roll to resist the illusion, what then?

Worse, what if Bubba the Love Troll resists it in the barrens?
Kagetenshi
It's not illusory, but if you have something that covers your arms, legs, and head you ought to be able to Fashion it into a T-shirt and shorts.

Is this a geas?

~J
Kanada Ten
I'd just use Mask, either as the base drain for a resisted "Entertainment" or as is. Entertainment is voluntary, so the second they think "he should put some cloths on" you'd be covered in the "obviously magical" clothing you cast.
Fortune
My real reason for wanting it is for an Ally Spirit. I dislike making the metahuman form that always wears the same clothing, and if I did, it wouldn't be considered 'real' clothing, so would be unaffected by the Fashion Spell. It is also not always conveniant to carry spare apparel for the Ally on the off-chance that it will be needed.

The obvious benefit to frequent users of the Shapechange spell is just a bonus.
tisoz
I'd go with Mask or Physical Mask. Make it touch range for minimal drain.
JaronK
You could create a limited self only version of Physical Mask that can only change the look of your clothing. The drain code wouldn't be too bad.

JaronK
Fortune
Physical Mask makes sense. I just wasn't sure if it affected (or in this case added) clothing. I have no problems with using the Personal option.
Kanada Ten
Can Indirect Illusions even have a Touch range?
Fortune
According to the chart in MitS pg. 55, they can.
Eyeless Blond
So, in conclusion:

Create Clothes (Illusion)
Type P Target 4 Dur S Drain +1(L)
Creates an illusary set of clothes. Successes can be used to improve quality of clothing produced (1 success = up to Ordinary; 2 successes = up to Fine; 3 successes = up to Tres Chic.) To make Fine or Tres Chic clothing the caster must also make a Modern Fashion (6) or (9) Knowledge test, respectfully.

Create Clothes (Physical: Transformation Manip)
Type P Target 4 Dur P Drain +1(S)
Creates an actual set of clothes. Successes can be used to improve quality of clothing produced (1 success = up to Ordinary; 2 successes = up to Fine; 3 successes = up to Tres Chic.) To make Fine or Tres Chic clothing the caster must also make a Modern Fashion (6) or (9) Knowledge test, respectfully. Clothing created in this way is fragile: it has no protective value, and will only last for one day per Force of the spell.

Sound about right?

(Edit): Changed as per below conversation.
Kagetenshi
I think you make it too easy to make Trés Chic clothing, personally.

~J
Crimson Jack
Maybe stage it 1 success (ordinary), 3 successes (Fine), and 5 successes (Tres Chic).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
So, in conclusion:

Create Clothes (Illusion)
Type P Target 4 Dur S Drain +1(M) (+1(L) for Personal only)
Creates an illusary set of clothes. Successes can be used to improve quality of clothing produced (1 success = up to Ordinary; 2 successes = up to Fine; 3 successes = up to Tres Chic.) To make Fine or Tres Chic clothing the caster must also make a Modern Fashion (4) or (6) Knowledge test, respectfully.

Create Clothes (Physical: Transformation Manip)
Type P Target 4 Dur P Drain +1(S) (+1(M) for Personal only)
Creates an actual set of clothes. Successes can be used to improve quality of clothing produced (1 success = up to Ordinary; 2 successes = up to Fine; 3 successes = up to Tres Chic.) To make Fine or Tres Chic clothing the caster must also make a Modern Fashion (4) or (6) Knowledge test, respectfully. Clothing created in this way is fragile: it has no protective value, and will only last for one day per Force of the spell.

Sound about right?

Bibbity Bobbity Boo! I think that there's no way to create a "personal" version of the Create Clothes spell, just like there's no way to create a personal version of Create Food or Create Water... "Personal" simply means tacking on a "very restricted target" modifier, and since the spell does not affect a living thing, a very restricted target version of Create Clothes would be something like "Create Pants" or "Create Jockstrap"
Eyeless Blond
Good point, though personally I think the "tough" part of making Tres Chic clothing should be the associated Knowledge skill test. The clothes themselves are easy to make; it's the design that's hard. So maybe the associated fashion skill test should be (6) for Fine and (9) for Tres Chic? That way Fine clothing is really really hard to default on, and Tres Chic can't be defaulted on at all.
Fortune
Yeah, I checked and Illusion cannot be Caster Only.

I do think the Drain Codes on those two spells listed is a bit high, since Mask and Physical Mask are only M and +1M respectively.

Also, I'm not sure about the Knowledge Skill roll, as even the Fashion spell has no such need of any associated skill in clothes sense.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune)
Yeah, I checked and Illusion cannot be Caster Only.

I do think the Drain Codes on those two spells listed is a bit high, since Mask and Physical Mask are only M and +1M respectively.

Hm. ActuallyI had used Mask as a template. For some reason I was thinking that clothing should be a multi-sense illusion, which is pretty dumb I guess. So getting rid of multi-sense gives you a

And you're right; no caster-only illsion or manipulation. I was thinking Restricted Target (self), which is also dumb as it would only *affect* you. Sorta an Emperor's New Clothes spell. nyahnyah.gif So yeah that's gone too.

The Manipulation spell is right though. You start with Major Environmental change (create matter), which means (M), +1 Power for physical spell, +1 level for Permenant spell, -1 level for Touch range for a final code of +1(M). Create Food however is +1(S) so that's what I decided to use. nyahnyah.gif

This one you can theoretically use restricted target with to make it self-only, but I'm not sure how that would work; would the clothes disintigrate if you took them off?

Also, I'm not sure about the Knowledge Skill roll, as even the Fashion spell has no such need of any associated skill in clothes sense.

Well I happen to think that it *should*, so there ya go. nyahnyah.gif It really makes no sense that someone can make fashionable-looking clothes with no idea what the current fashions are. Hell, some people can't even dress themselves well, and that's easier to do than actually design your clothes from scratch!
hahnsoo
When they said that Thread Magic was being written back into the game, I didn't know that this was what they were talking about. biggrin.gif
JaronK
Completely overpowered. Think about it... you could use this spell to create a nasty, scary holloween costume... and then with a drain code of just +1(S), you'd have made horror threads!

biggrin.gif

JaronK
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Fortune)
Yeah, that was my original thought, but the Drain Code's a bitch for that simple a spell.

Yeah deadly! don't know then? let me know if you find out as that is such a cool idea and my shaman would find that one interesting!

torz x wink.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (JaronK)
Completely overpowered. Think about it... you could use this spell to create a nasty, scary holloween costume... and then with a drain code of just +1(S), you'd have made horror threads!

biggrin.gif

JaronK

<click....chack...>
BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM

Better be safe...

<click...chack...>
BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM

rotfl.gif
torzzzzz
yeah, LOL!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Good point, though personally I think the "tough" part of making Tres Chic clothing should be the associated Knowledge skill test. The clothes themselves are easy to make; it's the design that's hard. So maybe the associated fashion skill test should be (6) for Fine and (9) for Tres Chic? That way Fine clothing is really really hard to default on, and Tres Chic can't be defaulted on at all.

I agree. That sounds like a good way to do it, IMO; that way a master designer will be getting a good design every two or three tries whilst a mere mortal won't be doing much at all.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 8 2005, 09:24 PM)
And you're right; no caster-only illsion or manipulation.

Many Manipulation spells can be Caster Only. The only two categories that cannot use that modifier are Combat and Illusion.

I'd rather not use Manipulation as the base category though, as then there'd always be piles of clothes left behind whenever the Ally went Astral, or the Shapeshifter changed form, or even when the mage recast Shapeshift.

Would you rule that Mask (and Physical Mask) could add illusionary clothing? I know it can change the appearance of clothing already worn, along with features, etc.
Edward
We regularly survive taking a deadly wound. Happened to one character twice during an arcology run before something finally got him properly dead. Of cause he was a stealth samy with no concept of stealth.

The way I find such things go is you enter a high threat aria and get spotted by some guards, they open up on the point man as he rounds the corner, the rest of the teem blows away the guards before there next action the med tech and the magician put the point man back together. Happens every few runs. Perversely the smart opponents have les of a chance to get one of us down because they take there initial action to take some cover or some other tactical action and then we do the same. Then ether we all die or they all die.

If you want a character with the repair nanites and a ability to last for 2 years I would recommend a expanded reservoir in the nanite hive. Probably increase time and cost by the same multiple (1 year twice the cost in essence and cash, 2 years 4 times the cost in essence and cash), the reason it is so expensive is you need base materials with a longer shelf life, at human body temp. of cause then what if you need to be on mission for 30 months)

Edward
Fortune
QUOTE (Edward)
We regularly survive taking a deadly wound ...

This is not the thread you are looking for. wink.gif
DrJest
Screw that, I wanna know how he regularly survives deadly wounds! biggrin.gif
Fortune
Illusionary armor!?!
torzzzzz
yeah - tell me I might need it against the dragon!!

torz x wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
Surviving deadly wounds is annoyingly simple. First you get symbiotes, nano or bio. Then you get a trauma dampener. That way whenever you take a deadly physical wound, your symbiotes drop it down to Serious (6 boxes). The trauma dampener then takes a box of that and moves it to stun, leaving you with 5 boxes, a moderate wound. First aid reduces this to Light without too much trouble, and magic can heal it the rest of the way just as easy.

See? Not too hard at all. nyahnyah.gif Now back to magic clothes. smile.gif I agree that you want the illusion most of the time, but some people might feel a little better about the manip because you don't have to sustain it. So I wrote up both. Do they sound good as currently written?
Nikoli
Could always make it sustainable, drop the spell and the clothes melt away.
Aes
I still say illusion would be bad. A sadistic GM would make a gazillion rolls and then tell you how many dozen people in the crowd start yelling "LOOK OVER THERE! HE'S NAKED!"
wagnern
Or. . . You could have a spell that summons clothing for the caster. The spell may require that the clothes to be summoned are mysticly marked in some way and not be in the possision of another indivisual. This could have a material cost. This would iliminate the tres-chic problem and an ilusionalry problem. Also the caster can only chose between the clothing he has prepaired in his 'astral wardrobe'. It does not have much impact on combat, (the clothing may be armored, but he did have to actualy buy it) so it should not have a drain problem. Perhaps the number of successes can influence the mass of clothing that can be summoned (this would make many armored clothing harder to summon). or it could be one of those spells that the number of successes has no effect.

Off topic, Symbiotes stage damage down!! Wow! I need to borrow M&M agian and check that out, I thought they just spead up healing.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Surviving deadly wounds is annoyingly simple. First you get symbiotes, nano or bio. Then you get a trauma dampener. That way whenever you take a deadly physical wound, your symbiotes drop it down to Serious (6 boxes). The trauma dampener then takes a box of that and moves it to stun, leaving you with 5 boxes, a moderate wound. First aid reduces this to Light without too much trouble, and magic can heal it the rest of the way just as easy.

See? Not too hard at all. nyahnyah.gif Now back to magic clothes. smile.gif I agree that you want the illusion most of the time, but some people might feel a little better about the manip because you don't have to sustain it. So I wrote up both. Do they sound good as currently written?

Well, first, symbiotes reduce healing time, they don't reduce the wound level. Perhaps you're thinking of platelet factories? So, deadly physical, you subtract one to stun, and one from platelets, leaving you at 8 physical. First aid would possibly reduce that to a serious. Then magic to make the friendly mage pass out. And by surviving deadly wounds, I was meaning the mage. Its considerably harder for the mage to pull it off.
Kagetenshi
By canon First Aid would reduce the wound by one level, namely to Medium (three boxes) from eight boxes.

~J
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 8 2005, 11:16 AM)

Well, first, symbiotes reduce healing time, they don't reduce the wound level. Perhaps you're thinking of platelet factories? So, deadly physical, you subtract one to stun, and one from platelets, leaving you at 8 physical. First aid would possibly reduce that to a serious. Then magic to make the friendly mage pass out. And by surviving deadly wounds, I was meaning the mage. Its considerably harder for the mage to pull it off.

Ally spirit who gets everything it wants wink.gif

Been saved 3 times by one.. each time gets 'her' quite a boost -- first time was a force upgrade, next two she's getting another force, some karma pool, and more spells.. one he has the time and is out of the hospital.

Bear in mind that saving his life didn't always put him back into the fight wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Tarantula)

Er, right, platelet factories. *facepalm* And for some reason I was thinking they staged the damage down once all by themselves; dunno where that came from.

Okay, so you're at 8 boxes, a Serious wound. Biotech reduces that one level to Moderate at 3 boxes, which puts the mage resisting damage on a Foece 3 heal spell (1M, plus the mage's wound mods). That's really not so bad you know.
JaronK
Even without all that gear, if you take a deadly wound but have a trauma dampener, and then they use first aid on you, you're now at medium wound (3 boxes) and one box of stun. No mage in the world will have trouble healing you from that! And the stun goes away quickly enough.

JaronK
hahnsoo
Hey, how about a Use Skill (Steal Clothing) spell? "Yoink!" biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 9 2005, 05:16 AM)
I agree that you want the illusion most of the time, but some people might feel a little better about the manip because you don't have to sustain it. So I wrote up both. Do they sound good as currently written?

Yeah, they sound fine. I'm just not sure what I want now. embarrassed.gif

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about the whole thing, and the Fashion spell would do the trick in the first place. spin.gif

Do Ally Spirits incur penalties for sustaining spells? I would think that they do, but I don't recall it being specifically stated.
Tarantula
Hows this. Since we were talking about mages suffering deadly wounds and living through them but having to worry about magic loss. They already lost their magic when they got the trauma dampener and platlets put in to avoid dieing from deadly wounds so much, so now they're already lower on magic, so the point is moot.
The Jopp
Give your ally spirit a NAKED metahuman form. That way you can give it any clothing you want, including armour.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 9 2005, 05:16 AM)
I agree that you want the illusion most of the time, but some people might feel a little better about the manip because you don't have to sustain it. So I wrote up both. Do they sound good as currently written?

Yeah, they sound fine. I'm just not sure what I want now. embarrassed.gif

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about the whole thing, and the Fashion spell would do the trick in the first place. spin.gif

Do Ally Spirits incur penalties for sustaining spells? I would think that they do, but I don't recall it being specifically stated.

Hay Fortune if you are the fashion conscious type then you MUST!! get Tailored pheromones to go with it. then you can look and smell attractive!! biggrin.gif wink.gif

( I know its off the point abit but they Kick ass!)

torz x cool.gif
Fortune
Really, I just want an Ally Spirit that can change clothes on the fly. smile.gif

If you think pheromones are good, you should check out some of the Adept Powers in SotA '64. biggrin.gif
torzzzzz
oooo, i will take it to bed with me! ( I'm sure its around here somewhere)

Thanks!!

torz x smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012