Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Occupational Hazzards, part 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
kryton
Hey Doc what Churches are you "walking around in?"

Are you like a heating/air conditioning tech or something or do you just like walking around inside the steeples and other inards of churches? Just curious. I'm from the DFW area so I'd be interested to hear about what churches you've poked around in and what not? That could be an interesting hiding place for runners.

Who's expect to have a safe house in the inards of cathedral....? Just give a nice "gift" to the pastor of the church. Say as much money as a middle class person makes in a year and they might let you crash up there. That'd be a great hiding place. I don't think Lonestar would look there?
kryton
Come to think of it I have an entire shadow clinic under a church in Boston. The cool thing is that it really exsists "somewhat".

If the Paulist Center (Park Street T line) ever knew how close they were to the Green line? I figured with some of the abandoned tunnels and some ingenuity the church might setup a underground clinic for homeless and wayward runners looking to make a "donation". Turns out Fr. Martinez has been smuggling freedom fighters out of Atzlan into UCAS illegally and using Haven as a way station. (Boston has a B, C, D, and E line off the Green. The A line was abandoned in the 40's.)
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
They might also notice if you started reading as a Terrier of pedigree.

~J

woof!

Torz x biggrin.gif
Spetulhu
QUOTE (Critias)
I think some companies work like that because they have no idea how to budget money -- they'll say yes to the $100,000 load balancer, then have no money left the next week when someone asks them for (insert item here), so they get a cheap (instert item here). Then, the next year, they'll sink a hojillion dollars into a backup generator, but have no money left to hire someone that knows how to use it right (so it's worthless). Etc, etc.

From what I've seen it often has to do with fast talking the economy department. Or failing to do so.

There's a certain school where the handyman also oversees security, as in programs the electronic passkeys and checks that the camera system works. He's been asking for some night lights in the long corridors of the school, just so the cameras can actually record something if there's a burglary. The answer is no, having lights on all night drains too much power. Some frigging low-powered night lights? eek.gif

This in a school with lots of greenery for show, greenery situated under honking big special warming lamps. Warming lamps that are on all night long...

A school with several hundred PCs that may or may not be turned off at the end of the day...

But the night lights would be too expensive to use.

mad.gif
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Smed)
I'm an engineer who designs RF equipment. I had to look into RFID technology a while back and it gave me some great ideas.

RFID is a technology that runners fear in my games. Even with today's technology you can insert a small RFID transmitter right into the plastic housiong of something as its being injection molded, making it difficult to detect as its built directly into the plastic with no exposed parts. Without destroying the housing completely you can't find it with a visual inspection. Detecting the metal its made of is difficult as the rest of the device usually has other electronics in it that have larger masses of metal than the RFID transceiver.

You could conceivably make a scanner to detect it when its transmitting, but if the RFID transceiver is coded only to transmit when it gets the right coded signal, detecting it with a scanner wouldn't work unless the scanner put out the correct coded signal at the correct frequency, or the scanner happened to be on when the thing transmitted. The technology makes tracing goods much easier.

Just about every car made after 2001 has them in the key.

Also, a company has started making them in high security key for businesses who need really high end control. The building has several transmitters scattered throughout and the locks are both physical and RFID equipped. When the alarm gets tripped, the transmitters switch to the security frequencies and all regular keys go dead. I have only pulled that on my runners once.

On a side note, Ingersoll Rand and IBM are teaming up to bring you improved matrix security. The servers are time locked and each terminal has an RFID scanner near it that only turns on when you have used your key card to sign into the building and only during hours you are scheduled to be there. Really cuts down on after hours fooling around and unsupervised work.
John Campbell
QUOTE (kryton)
They used to use Halon in server rooms but I heard the practice was considered too dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if OSHA considered it an unexceptable risk.

All the major server rooms I've worked in - the ones that were more than just a bunch of PCs in a spare office - have had Halon fire suppression systems. When you've got fifty million dollars of hardware in one room, fire and water damage to it costs more than the occasional lawsuit from the family of an asphyxiated sysadmin.
Kagetenshi
And unless you are completely braindead about your safety precautions and training, any sysadmin injuries should be entirely their fault.

~J
John Campbell
If by "completely braindead", you mean, "don't bother providing any training whatsoever, or even mentioning the Halon system, and locate the Halon dump buttons in places where they can be easily leaned against accidentally", then, yes, yes they are.

Kagetenshi
I'd list that as completely braindead, yeah.

~J
DocMortand
QUOTE (kryton)
Hey Doc what Churches are you "walking around in?"

Are you like a heating/air conditioning tech or something or do you just like walking around inside the steeples and other inards of churches? Just curious. I'm from the DFW area so I'd be interested to hear about what churches you've poked around in and what not? That could be an interesting hiding place for runners.

Who's expect to have a safe house in the inards of cathedral....? Just give a nice "gift" to the pastor of the church. Say as much money as a middle class person makes in a year and they might let you crash up there. That'd be a great hiding place. I don't think Lonestar would look there?

*chuckle* I'm an organist - I've crawled around the pipe chambers of many churches...and getting TO the pipe chambers usually means I get to explore the innards of churches because they aren't easy to get to. I have not explored many around here tho, unfortunately...the big cathedrals I got to crawl around in were St. John the Divine and Riverside in NYC and Washington Cathedral in DC.

St. John the Divine is 2 football fields long and has chapels in the catacombs which rival normal sized churches...not to mention that they actually have catacombs. *shiver* I'd hate to work THERE at night. I can totally see safehouses in there tho - until the shedim came. Then it would be Resident Evil time...
Arethusa
QUOTE (DocMortand)
St. John the Divine is 2 football fields long and has chapels in the catacombs which rival normal sized churches...not to mention that they actually have catacombs. *shiver* I'd hate to work THERE at night. I can totally see safehouses in there tho - until the shedim came. Then it would be Resident Evil time...

As cliche as that idea is, even mentioning it drips tasty atmosphere.

On another note, are the chapels/catacombs open publicly at night, out of curiosity?
DocMortand
Not sure - I think the bigger ones are, the smaller ones aren't. But it's totally possible that none of them are open - just the main church.

[edit] Just found out - the smaller ones are only available by tours and special events - apparently in 2001 there was a major fire which gutted some areas.

Here's a link - it's a really neat shot which shows the gothic cathedral:
http://www.stjohndivine.org/
Also, the main church isn't open all day either...my bad.
[/edit]
mmu1
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (DocMortand)

As cliche as that idea is, even mentioning it drips tasty atmosphere.

On another note, are the chapels/catacombs open publicly at night, out of curiosity?

You want atmosphere? St.John the Divine also has a sculpture studio inside one of the crypts (got interviewed for college by the guy running it) - it's large and cluttered with half-finished statues, tools, benches covered in smaller pieces, scaffolding to work on the big ones, etc. In the dark, it'd be creepy as hell.
kryton
Speaking of churches I wonder what lies below the Vatican? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a small city of catacombs. South of the Vatican there's the old Roman catacombs.
Demosthenes
Having been in part of the Vatican this January, I can tell you it's bloody huge, even if it doesn't seem so...
Given the vast amounts of halls, apartments and so on, the numbers of service corridors must be incredible.

I just had the horrible thought of someone having a firefight in the Sistine Chapel...
[shudder]
kryton
When I was they're they had metal detectors. The vatican is HUGE. I would be more worried someone would go after the papal jewels. You'd be amazed to look at the jewels. They were all gifts and have to be worth hundreds of millions. I like that the Swiss guard still protects the Vatican along side the Itallian police with SMG's. I dunno I think it might be hard to get a gun inside....Then again I wouldn't have thought you could hijack two planes out of Boston's Logan Airport and fly them into the World Trade Center.....
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
I just had the horrible thought of someone having a firefight in the Sistine Chapel...

If anyone does, it will be Americans. *shudder*
Demosthenes
I looked at the procedures at the metal detectors with an eye to getting guns etc inside when I was there (thinking too much like an SR player, I suppose).

Metal detectors, but no x-rays and no dogs the day I was there.

Security?

Ah, that would be where you catch the bad guys planning...
kryton
I dunno I could see a suicide bomber going in there to do some damage. Muslims aren't just real fond of the Catholic church, or christians in general. I think it was a muslim who shot the pope. (Whenever I say the words popemobile I have to smile.)
torzzzzz
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Mar 10 2005, 09:12 AM)

If anyone does, it will be Americans. *shudder*

you think so?

torz x biggrin.gif grinbig.gif nyahnyah.gif
BlacKat
All the server rooms I worked in have halon systems. When you hit a dump button or the fire system self activates it gives a 30 second buzzer warning and lights atsrt to go off. Thats the admins warning t get the hell out. When I worked at Motorola in Massachusetts their server room was so big they had two systems one that only dumped under the raised floors and then the "big" system that flooded the main room. Their system was a 1 minute sunder due to the size of the room and with that many servers and ac units going at once it was pretty loud too.

As for the vatican, there are supposed to be some impressive crypts under there. I remember watching a discovery show on them(maybe it was pbs I cannot remember right now), Where they showed one crypt of a saint that was built from the gilded bones of the faithful. He had a huge cage around the sarcofogus and the walls were done up in bone and skulls, all plated in gold.

Also supposedly the vatican library is somewhere under there as well, with a copy of just about every book about religion or by the religious in it going back to medivil times. If I remember right the library was started in the late 1300's-early 1400's

Blackat
Sorry about the mixed response post but I am just egtting to this thread
Demosthenes
QUOTE (BlacKat @ Mar 10 2005, 05:14 PM)
Also supposedly the vatican library is somewhere under there as well, with a copy of just about every book about religion or by the religious in it going back to medivil times.  If I remember right the library was started in the late 1300's-early 1400's

More importantly, the Vatican library contains a copy of almost every book the vatican has ever censored, censured, banned, or burned...

Just think of that datasteal, chizzlers...

Edit: chizzlers = Dublin dialect for children, among other things.
Arethusa
Why, I bet they have the old slang words we used to use before they got purged! God, wouldn't that be a welcome change?
Da9iel
Hoi! Fraggin right chummers!
torzzzzz
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Not sure - I think the bigger ones are, the smaller ones aren't. But it's totally possible that none of them are open - just the main church.

[edit] Just found out - the smaller ones are only available by tours and special events - apparently in 2001 there was a major fire which gutted some areas.

Here's a link - it's a really neat shot which shows the gothic cathedral:
http://www.stjohndivine.org/
Also, the main church isn't open all day either...my bad.
[/edit]

wow what a cool place, i like the name for The Chapels of the Seven Tongues, would love to know why they called it that!

must have been really fun to work there!

torz x grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012