Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 10
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
tisoz
Just saw an opinion of top 10 most respected on Dumpshock. I wondered what is your top 10 list. Is it just people that hold the same view as you? Who don't argue? Who run games? Who write SR material? Who you play with?

Lets see a list of 10 names, and maybe some reasons. I'll think about it and post mine later so it doesn't influence things one way or the other.

And no, I would be really surprised to see myself on any list.
Aes
Anyone who contributes constructively to a post. Playing favourites is for kindergarden. wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
I miss Doctor Funkenstein. And Clockwork Lime (those two from my lurking days). I don't miss Polaris.

I like all posters whose names I can condense down into K + Various numbers (usually 10 and 4).

Toturi was a pretty cool guy to have around, right up until that Oni ripped his head off. He will be missed (but he came back from the dead once already...)
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Aes)
Anyone who contributes constructively to a post. Playing favourites is for kindergarden. wink.gif

And multinational corporations. Go Novatech! Erm... smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
Toturi was a pretty cool guy to have around, right up until that Oni ripped his head off. He will be missed (but he came back from the dead once already...)

Why would I leave Yomi? Kaede's right here. And besides, Kisada's taking care of things. (Sandoval, you an L5R player? What clan?)
Sandoval Smith
Well, I guess that some people are just content to rest on their laurels after they've died...

I've only dabbled a bit in L5R (although I favored Cranes when I was playing) but I have a friend who is into it big time, and so I've learned a lot about the game (both PnP and CCG) via osmosis.
Critias
Off Topic:
I enjoy the fluff quite a bit for a rpg, but I can't stay SOTA enough to keep up with the card game. Played a few times, got a few boosters when Diamond started up... too much money, too much of an obsession being encouraged. Keeping up with the tech curve in a card game like that is much more of an addiction than RPGs, financially at least.

Plus I always -- ever since my old M:tG days -- go for themed decks, flavorfull decks, etc, etc. I don't make the gimmicky junk that does well at tourneys. That said, I tried to play Mantis and Crane a bit (because a cross of the two would be about as close as I could get to my ronin duellist from the RPG game).

On Topic:
I see "top ten lists" like this being potentially as troublesome and flamebait-a-riffic as "bottom ten lists," or something. More innately constructive, I think, for people to answer the basic question ("what do you look for in a favorite poster?" sort of thing) without listing people they actually like or dislike, y'know?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I miss Doctor Funkenstein. And Clockwork Lime (those two from my lurking days).

...and Infinity Cubed, and Boogie Woogie Wookie, and...
Those were all the same guy, in case someone didn't notice. wink.gif

QUOTE (Critias)
More innately constructive, I think, for people to answer the basic question ("what do you look for in a favorite poster?" sort of thing) without listing people they actually like or dislike, y'know?

Agreed.
Personally, I despise you all equally. You barely rank above me in my respect-o-meter.
toturi
QUOTE (Critias)
Off Topic:
I enjoy the fluff quite a bit for a rpg, but I can't stay SOTA enough to keep up with the card game. Played a few times, got a few boosters when Diamond started up... too much money, too much of an obsession being encouraged. Keeping up with the tech curve in a card game like that is much more of an addiction than RPGs, financially at least.

Plus I always -- ever since my old M:tG days -- go for themed decks, flavorfull decks, etc, etc. I don't make the gimmicky junk that does well at tourneys. That said, I tried to play Mantis and Crane a bit (because a cross of the two would be about as close as I could get to my ronin duellist from the RPG game).

Off-Topic: Crane... why is it always Crane? Why do people love those powder blue gays so much?

On-Topic: Ancient History. Cain. Kagetenshi.
Sandoval Smith
What about Crab? Almost everyone I've met is always like, "Hida this," and "Kaiu" that. Personally, I thought that oriental characters who could have naturally white hair and blue eyes was a pretty cool concept. Until I was enlightened to the fact that the reason some Cranes can have those traits is because their family tree doesn't fork... dead.gif
Nath
Problem with a Top10 is, since as everybody know, Ancient History is in fact made of hundreds of monkeys typing SR/ED theories, how are you going to decide which ten monkeys should be in the list ?
Sandoval Smith
It's the powers of all those monkeys combined into one MEGA-MONKEY that make AH, so as one collective entity they only take up one spot.
torzzzzz
I think that anyone who gives you a valid point or answer, even if they are wrong, I think that things can be taken personally but i would much rather know where i stand with people,

I don't have any favorites yet but some of the names i look out for are, Eyeless Blond, Foreigner,Ancient History , Austere Emancipator, Hahnsoo, Fortune, and Hermit. As inspite not agreeing on everything they have always put up a good comment.

torz x biggrin.gif
toturi
Ahhh, the Mega-Monkey known as Ancient History.
mintcar
Itīs safe to say that Ancient is among the top 10 amongst most dumpshockers, right? I certainly respect his knowledge and hard work. Synner, Adam and others that are involved with making new shadowrun material are also at the top of my list. But everybody knows this allready. And I too decline playing favorites among us regular posters who lack further merits in this area. twirl.gif
Thomas
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

I knew Doctor Funkenstein from another board - anybody know what happened to him?
toturi
He comes and goes. Either that or he comes, get banned, get un-banned, get banned again...
Thomas
QUOTE (toturi)
He comes and goes. Either that he comes, get banned, get un-banned, get banned again...

Thanks, as you can see, I'm new here.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
It's the powers of all those monkeys combined into one MEGA-MONKEY that make AH, so as one collective entity they only take up one spot.

Of course this requires a lot of duct tape.
Adam
QUOTE (toturi)
He comes and goes. Either that or he comes, get banned, get un-banned, get banned again...

It's been ages -- at least a year, probably more -- since anyone has been banned in any way.
Kagetenshi
Doc's departure this time was due to an abrupt uprising of Real Life™. I had a dream the other night that he'd come back to us, though, so take it how you will.

(Yes, I really had a dream that Doctor Funkenstein had come back to Dumpshock. Sad, eh?)

~J
Eyeless Blond
I'm just surprised someone actually reads the garbage that emits from my fingers. Thanks torzzzzz, you just made my day. smile.gif

As an aside, how did so many people end up in the Dumpshocked group? That's the moderator group, right? Oh, and where did all the custom titles come from?
tisoz
Since no one wants to play... frown.gif I thought it would be nice to aknowledge our peers. I wasn't really trolling for flames.

I figured people would list Adam, Synner, Fortune, Ancient History, Raygun, and Pistons.

I would put Doctor Funkenstein (and who knows how many aliases), OurTeam, Cochise, mcmackie, Talia Invierno, and EyelessBlond on it. Too many you say?

I guess I would leave Ancient off my list. The stuff he posts has little to no impact or relevance to my games. Maybe Pistons doesn't post enough anymore, but I expected others to list her. I'm not disappointed by the omission.

My list in no particular order.

Adam - the guy comes here and puts in a word more often than I would expect. If someone asks, questions, accuses Wizkids, FanPro even FASA something, he usually responds. He has a bit of a sense of humor about shutting down topics.

Synner - Too bad he doesn't post like he used to. Friggin' non-disclosure agreements. Have to wait a lot of times to see his ideas when they are printed. What bugs me now is when he asks for criticism, he might not really hear it.

Doctor Funkenstein - It might be impossible to agree with everything he would post. But at least gave an opinion, more often than not gave good advice.

OurTeam - Damn near always right. Usually citing where the relevant information came from. Rarely a heated moment or snide comment, surprised wheen he would utter one.

Cochise - Holds some unwelcome opinions that can be backed up by the rules. I have learned to listen when he speaks.

mcmackie - my Ancient History. Some data I can use. If his program doesn't work, say what the problem is and he fixes it. Usually the inconsistency is something that got agreed to here, not something he interpreted himself. I know my program would use my rule calls, not the ones most people agreed to.

Fortune - Yeah, Fortune, I think you're all right. wink.gif Damn near as old as me, too. Even older than me by a few days. We aught to have each others back.

Talia Invierno and her alter ego - Some original ideas and pushing the envelope. Also the alter egos work in Welcome to the Shadows.

Eyeless Blond - You learned well.

Raygun - I don't use your rules or your site, but I trust the info you give which many a time has links to back it up.
tisoz
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
As an aside, how did so many people end up in the Dumpshocked group? That's the moderator group, right? Oh, and where did all the custom titles come from?

It's a perk for donating for the new Dumpshock equipment. No moderating privileges of which I am aware. wink.gif

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I'm just surprised someone actually reads the garbage that emits from my fingers. Thanks torzzzzz, you just made my day.

See, it doesn't have to be troll bait. It can let people realize they are appreciated.
tisoz
QUOTE (Thomas)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

I knew Doctor Funkenstein from another board - anybody know what happened to him?

He was running a game here last I knew. Excused himself for a week or so to visit inlaws (IIRC) and hasn't been heard from since that I know of.

Though I thought I had his new alias pegged for a couple of days. Either he changed his style or it wasn't him though. Embarrassed to say who I thought it was now.

Spiderwick, Frumious Bandersnatch - he had a couple that didn't last a week.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I'm just surprised someone actually reads the garbage that emits from my fingers. Thanks torzzzzz, you just made my day. smile.gif

Nope, that's the group of people who have donated. Check news&support, but do it quickly.

~J
Ancient History
Oh, well--

Adam, for White Jesus is cool
Neuron Basher, who keeps the fires burning
Raygun, whose site is prettier and better than mine ever will be
Fortune, who I won't insult by making another age joke about
Synner, our bestest friend over the Pond
JongWK, our bestest friend down south

After that it gets hard. I could name some of the regulars, or some of the not-so regulars like Pistons, DV8 and Doc Funk (or any of his other noms du net), but I dinnae ken how I'd rate 'em.

Thanks to everyone that voted me! love.gif

Oh, and I just have to say:
QUOTE ("tisoz")
mcmackie - my Ancient History.

Being used as a figure of speech or standard of any sort is fan-fragging-tastic.
tisoz
Ancient, no hard feelings and I was not slamming you. I hope I explained why well enough.

Also have to apologize for those that didn't quite make the cut.
Ancient History
Are you kidding? I'm touched. wink.gif
toturi
QUOTE (tisoz)

Are you kidding? I'm glad I didn't. If I did, I would think I actually did something right! biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

...One monkey to rule them, and in the darkness bind them.
Demosthenes
...with duct tape
tisoz
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 10 2005, 11:24 PM)

Are you kidding? I'm glad I didn't. If I did, I would think I actually did something right! biggrin.gif

Actually, you were on the bubble. IMO, your "the book says" or doesn't say stance knocked you off. Some others got discounted for trivial, frivolous posts - post pumping almost.

Now if I wanted to start trouble, I'd have you tell me who I should bump to get you on the list.
DocMortand
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Mar 10 2005, 07:22 PM)
Toturi was a pretty cool guy to have around, right up until that Oni ripped his head off.  He will be missed (but he came back from the dead once already...)

Why would I leave Yomi? Kaede's right here. And besides, Kisada's taking care of things. (Sandoval, you an L5R player? What clan?)

Heh I always played the Kitsune clan before they disappeared into the void...Have kept up with L5R for a while tho.

And we all know Ancient History owns my soul.
Drain Brain
How come nobody's come up with Sphynx yet?
GrinderTheTroll
Um, yeah.

This is a silly topic.
TheQuestionMan
Ancient History
Adam
Synner
Plastic Rat
Raygun
Fortune
Kanda Ten
HMHVV Hunter
Blackjack
Wordman
grendal

and many others

Cheers

QM

P.S.: These are not listed in order, but as a group I respect highly.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Drain Brain)

Who?
Synner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 10 2005, 02:58 PM)
Synner - Too bad he doesn't post like he used to.  Friggin' non-disclosure agreements.  Have to wait a lot of times to see his ideas when they are printed.  What bugs me now is when he asks for criticism, he might not really hear it.

Believe me, I hear it. I might not agree with it, but when I do (and even sometimes when I don't) it filters into what I write. And truth be told it's not the freelancing that's kept me from posting like I used to, RL is a bitch these days with me holding down 2 jobs.

My list (restricted to regular Dumpshockers and in no particular order):
Adam
Pistons
Doc Funkenstein
Kagetenshi
Kanada Ten
Ancient History
NAth
Fortune
Snow Fox
DrJest
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Drain Brain)

Who?

Sphynx being the god of Welcome to the Shadows.

And ditto on Doc Jest... wink.gif alright matey?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Um, yeah.

This is a silly topic.

<nods>
Drain Brain
Silly topics start all the time... remember the saying: If you can't beat them, etc... wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 10 2005, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Drain Brain)

Who?

That means absolutely nothing to me.
Arethusa
If you can't beat them, lock the fucking thread and throw it in a disused lavatory with a sign saying beware of the leopard. This thread needs to fucking die. This is the single worst thread I've ever read here. Congratulations to all involved.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you can't beat them, lock the fucking thread and throw it in a disused lavatory with a sign saying beware of the leopard. This thread needs to fucking die. This is the single worst thread I've ever read here. Congratulations to all involved.

Were you here for the thread when someone exhorted everyone to scan and distribute the books on filesharing programs?

This is a silly thread, but let's not lose perspective here.

~J
Smiley
Who remembers the depleted uranium bone lacing thread?
Arethusa
I remember that one. And, yeah, pretty bad, but a thread that was at least initially seriously intended to name the "best" members of the community more or less wins over anything you got.
tisoz
Perhaps you see it as silly because:

A) You are not on anyone's list

B) You have no respect for any fellow Dumpshockers

C) It would be more interesting to see peoples list of 10 least respected Dumpshockers

[edit] Best could be defined by several parameters. This was aimed at opinion/demeanor you respect? Best could also mean "never loses/concedes a debate", or "keeps things interesting", or "most entertaining."
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Drain Brain @ Mar 10 2005, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 10 2005, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Drain Brain)

Who?

That means absolutely nothing to me.

"Welcome to the Shadows" is where all the play by post games are run. Sphynx tends to run some of the most interesting games over there. It's ben quite a while since I've seen him post on this side of the fence.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (tisoz)
Perhaps you see it as silly because:

A) You are not on anyone's list

B) You have no respect for any fellow Dumpshockers

C) It would be more interesting to see peoples list of 10 least respected Dumpshockers

[edit] Best could be defined by several parameters. This was aimed at opinion/demeanor you respect? Best could also mean "never loses/concedes a debate", or "keeps things interesting", or "most entertaining."

Since I've been biting my tounge for a while, here's why I don't like this thread:

Choosing "favorites" as it where, demeans the whole idea of a community where we all get to say what's on our mind. Sure there are some responses that we enjoy over others, but I am not sure how you can "respect" any one post over another since the ideas here are opinions or arguments over rules.

/rant off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012