Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sustain focus, can it sustain any spell?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Akai Sokata
Ok scope this. I was GMing as usual and one of my players picked up a sustain focus. he knows levitate so he locks it in at a force four with a target of himself. so does that me he always levities as long as he holds it?.

and a few more things about levitate? this one happened a few sessions ago, but another player of mine lavitaed a smug out the hands of some street garbage ganger. then proceeded to aim and cast another levitate on the trigger of the gun blasting it off in auto fire at the poor frager that got it stolen from him. don't worry about time this was over the course of three turns.

so the question is can levitate man a target, or can two levitate spells be cast on the same target.

as always pardon my spelling/grammar. im still a idiot
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Akai Sokata)
Ok scope this. I was GMing as usual and one of my players picked up a sustain focus. he knows levitate so he locks it in at a force four with a target of himself. so does that me he always levities as long as he holds it?.

Basically. Remember that sustaining foci are bought by the spell, so a Levitate sustaining focus can't be used for any other spell. Also remember the focus is active, meaning it's glowing on the astral plane, conflicts with astral barriers/wards, can be destroyed in astral combat, etc. Sustaining stuff like levitate is powerful, but there are important drawbacks to keep in mind as well.

and a few more things about levitate? this one happened a few sessions ago, but another player of mine lavitaed a smug out the hands of some street garbage ganger. then proceeded to aim and cast another levitate on the trigger of the gun blasting it off in auto fire at the poor frager that got it stolen from him. don't worry about time this was over the course of three turns.

Hm. Well, I suppose it's not *technically* illegal to do this, but if I ever saw anyone try it the TN mods would rack up like crazy. +4 for Called Shot, +6 Very Small Object, +2 for partial cover (the rest of the gun), +2 for the other Levitate spell you're sustaining (can't use the focus here as you'd need to place the focus on the gun itself while casting), for a minimum TN of 18 for the spell itself. If he gets the spell off, then there's the problem of aiming the gun: +4 for sustaining *two* Levitate spells, +2 for using the gun from far away, and uses the Gunnery skill. Your mage *does* have the Gunnery skill, right? biggrin.gif

You're better off getting Magic Fingers. nyahnyah.gif
Aku
heh, this is actually very similar to a question i had, my character, being realtively low bod, low armor, tends to die, alot. so i wanted to get a focus (prolly around 4) and sustain stabalize on it, he(the mud man) said it wont work, because its a permanent spell, and isnt sustainable. do you guys agree?
Akai Sokata
Hm. Well, I suppose it's not *technically* illegal to do this, but if I ever saw anyone try it the TN mods would rack up like crazy. +4 for Called Shot, +6 Very Small Object, +2 for partial cover (the rest of the gun), +2 for the other Levitate spell you're sustaining (can't use the focus here as you'd need to place the focus on the gun itself while casting), for a minimum TN of 18 for the spell itself. If he gets the spell off, then there's the problem of aiming the gun: +4 for sustaining *two* Levitate spells, +2 for using the gun from far away, and uses the Gunnery skill. Your mage *does* have the Gunnery skill, right?

You're better off getting Magic Fingers. 

Thats what I did, but he used all of his spell pool and bought a few dice with karma and pulled it off with two successes. thanks for the help.

heh, this is actually very similar to a question i had, my character, being realtively low bod, low armor, tends to die, alot. so i wanted to get a focus (prolly around 4) and sustain stabalize on it, he(the mud man) said it wont work, because its a permanent spell, and isnt sustainable. do you guys agree?

I agree. I was thinking for a split second you could use the focus to sustain the spell till it becomes a perm...but why spend the karma...and if you unconscious how can you bind and lock the spell. so I would say no you can't lock stabilize into a sustain focus.
DragginSPADE
QUOTE (Aku)

Nope, a sustaining focus doesn't work that way. If you want to work an effect like that you'd need to learn anchoring metamagic. Anchoring is a major pain in the rear in third edition, but it would let you rig a stabilize spell to go off and be sustained when the right condition occurs. (i.e. you reaching deadly wounds)
tisoz
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Basically. Remember that sustaining foci are bought by the spell, so a Levitate sustaining focus can't be used for any other spell.

Uhm, no. Sustaining foci are only bought at a specific force. The spell they can sustain is named when the focus is bonded. So a focus could be re-bonded, karma paid, and be able to sustain a different spell.

QUOTE (Akai Sokata)
so does that me he always levities as long as he holds it?.

Exactly. He will levitate in place. He has no control over how or where he moves. He can make a strength or willpower test to see if he can overcome the spell.

The reason - magic is mindless. The focus is sustaining and controlling the spell. It can't issue commands or think where it wants the spell to take the levitated item.

this one happened a few sessions ago, but another player of mine lavita[t]ed a sm[u]g out the hands of some street garbage ganger. then proceeded to aim and cast another levitate on the trigger of the gun blasting it off in auto fire at the poor frag[g]er that got it stolen from him. don't worry about time this was over the course of three turns.

so the question is can levitate man a target, or can two levitate spells be cast on the same target.

Levitate smg away? No problem, but check for strength or willpower test. Levitate trigger? No, I would not allow it. Let them get magic fingers if they want to effect parts of an item. Fire it on the poor fragger? Maybe, if I were to allow the trigger thing. But totally ineffective. Would need to use Use SMG spell to use the item. Or could argue that it is suppressing fire. Still no, because it has no skill to roll to hit anything. Make a lot of noise and ricochet's and scare the heck out of everyone? Ok.
Sharaloth
Exactly. He will levitate in place. He has no control over how or where he moves. He can make a strength or willpower test to see if he can overcome the spell.

The reason - magic is mindless. The focus is sustaining and controlling the spell. It can't issue commands or think where it wants the spell to take the levitated item.

I have to disagree with this. Sure magic is mindless (unless it happens to be a spirit), but a sustaining focus does not take the control away from the caster. All a sustaining focus does is allow the spell to be sustained without the caster concentrating on it. If the caster lost control of the spell in a sustaining focus then he'd never be able to turn it off, like a quickened spell. If the caster throws the levitate spell on himself through a sustaining focus, then he can zip around all he wants, and he doesn't even have to concentrate on it.

As for levitating and firing the gun... Yeah, you're way better off with a magic fingers spell.
Edward
I would say you can’t fire the gun with any accuracy using the levitate spell, that is what the magic fingers spell is fore. I would allow the pulling of the trigger but the best you could hope for is unusually inaccurate suppressive fire

Edward
tisoz
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
I have to disagree with this. Sure magic is mindless (unless it happens to be a spirit), but a sustaining focus does not take the control away from the caster. All a sustaining focus does is allow the spell to be sustained without the caster concentrating on it. If the caster lost control of the spell in a sustaining focus then he'd never be able to turn it off, like a quickened spell. If the caster throws the levitate spell on himself through a sustaining focus, then he can zip around all he wants, and he doesn't even have to concentrate on it.

So you would allow a magician to cast a high force Trid Phantasm spell at his leasure and let a sustaining focus sustain it? Then the magician overcomes huge drain, sleeping in his nice cozy bed. Any time the magician decides to use the Trid Phantasm spell being sustained, he just needs to command it to project whatever illusion he wants, perhaps even commanding it where and how to move, all with no effort (as in even taking a free action) on the magicians part. To "drop" the illusion, he just commands it to have the illusion there is lint in his navel or something else innocuous.

I don't allow magic to work so wonderfully. If the mage wants to change the sustained action the focus was performing, the mage needs to take over the sustaining. The spell isn't broken, but the magician has to use actions and had the sustaining penalty if he does anything else at the same time. When the magician gives the duty of sustaining back to the focus, the focus will continue sustaining the spell in the same way it was given to it.

In the levitate example:

Mage casts levitate, uses it to travel horizontally x meters a turn. When he passes the sustaining to the focus, it keeps travelling in that direction at that speed until it is opposed or the magician takes over sustaining the spell.
Sharaloth
Hmm, Tisoz, that would run counter to canon, so if you want to houserule that, that's your business, but it's not the way sustaining foci work as described in SR3.

Pg 197, SR3:
Levitate allows the caster to telekinetically lift an object and move it around. The subject of the spell can be moved anywhere in the caster's line of sight . . .

That means that a caster can change direction and speed of the subject (in this case himself) at will.

Pg 191, SR3
Only spells cast on physical objects or beings can be sustained. The owner casts the spell, activating the focus, which then automatically sustains the spell. Casting a spell for a sustaining focus to sustain is an Exclusive Action... The spell must be re-cast for the focus to be activated again.

To paraphrase: If you turn off a sustaining focus (by 'taking over the spell', which I might add, may or may not be possible, it isn't mentioned) you have to re-caste the spell it had been sustaining. You cannot 'pass' a spell to a sustaining focus, you have to cast it into the focus. Sure a mage can keep a sustained trid phantasm around, but it'd be on him, and I'm not sure if he could go to sleep without automatically shutting down all his sustained spells. Your examples are a houserule effect, not canon.
BitBasher
I agree with Tisoz on the spell lock issue.

If the caster lost control of the spell in a sustaining focus then he'd never be able to turn it off, like a quickened spell.
That's false logic. The caster never "turns off" the spell in a spell lock directly anyway, he deactivates the spell lock at which point the spell stops sustaining. Nothing really says he has any control over the spell once it's in the lock, it's autonomous really.
Sharaloth
then it's down to a rules-interpretation issue.

I would assume that any spell cast into a sustaining focus would still be under the control of the caster, within the limits of the spell itself. An Armor spell, for instance has two modes: off and on, and you can do jack about it inbetween. A levitate spell, on the other hand, allows you to vary speed and direction at the caster's discretion. I would assume the sustained spell would allow the caster the same options as always without having to end the spell to change things. I.E. the caster uses a sustaining focus to levitate himself and he's effectively flying and/or floating wherever he wants, without having to re-cast the spell every time he wants to change direction or speed.
tisoz
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Hmm, Tisoz, that would run counter to canon, so if you want to houserule that, that's your business, but it's not the way sustaining foci work as described in SR3.

Pg 197, SR3:
Levitate allows the caster to telekinetically lift an object and move it around. The subject of the spell can be moved anywhere in the caster's line of sight . . .

That means that a caster can change direction and speed of the subject (in this case himself) at will.

Yes, I agree. But when he passes the sustaining of the spell to the focus, he also passes on the ability to change what the spell is doing. The focus and the spell are mindless, they just keep following the last order.

Pg 191, SR3
Only spells cast on physical objects or beings can be sustained. The owner casts the spell, activating the focus, which then automatically sustains the spell. Casting a spell for a sustaining focus to sustain is an Exclusive Action... The spell must be re-cast for the focus to be activated again.

To paraphrase: If you turn off a sustaining focus (by 'taking over the spell', which I might add, may or may not be possible, it isn't mentioned) you have to re-caste the spell it had been sustaining. You cannot 'pass' a spell to a sustaining focus, you have to cast it into the focus. Sure a mage can keep a sustained trid phantasm around, but it'd be on him, and I'm not sure if he could go to sleep without automatically shutting down all his sustained spells. Your examples are a houserule effect, not canon.

The focus is not being turned off by taking over the spell, which I may add must be possible if it can be handed back and forth to elementals, the spell has not ended so has no need to be cast again.

If you take the casting into the focus literally, then only the focus could be levitated. A spell, once cast into the focus could not be controlled at all after being cast.
Sharaloth
But when he passes the sustaining of the spell to the focus, he also passes on the ability to change what the spell is doing. The focus and the spell are mindless, they just keep following the last order.

As stated earlier, I disagree, but as far as I can tell it's a rule-interpretation issue, and therefore out of the bounds of surety.

The focus is not being turned off by taking over the spell, which I may add must be possible if it can be handed back and forth to elementals, the spell has not ended so has no need to be cast again.

The book mentions nothing about sustaining foci acting like the elemental's sustain service. In fact I'd say they work on completely different principles, since the sustaining foci doesn't degrade the longer it holds the spell for the caster. Pretty much once the spell leaves the sustaining focus, it deactivates, requiring a re-cast to activate again, since the spell can't be passed back and forth like a bad cold.

If you take the casting into the focus literally, then only the focus could be levitated. A spell, once cast into the focus could not be controlled at all after being cast.

No, actually that's covered in the rules. The spell is cast through the focus onto the subject, which is why when the focus loses contact with the subject it deactivates. You could sustain a levitate spell through a focus on the focus itself, I suppose, but why?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tisoz)
Mage casts levitate, uses it to travel horizontally x meters a turn. When he passes the sustaining to the focus, it keeps travelling in that direction at that speed until it is opposed or the magician takes over sustaining the spell.

If this were true I'd say it'd be logical to assume that the sustaining focus would continue to operate when out of the hands of the mage, as it is now in control of the spell.

Needless to say, I don't think it's true.

~J
mintcar
Is it impossible to use sustaining foci the way spell locks are uses in House of the Sun? Were the orc body guard/driver/killer has a pin with an armor spell on it, cast by a mage whoīs at a different location no were in sight? In case that is still possible, I would say the spell is independent of itīs caster to some degree. Of course that doesnīt rule out that the caster could control it if he wanted to.

Back in the days of spell locks that used to be one of their prime uses: The mage hands out invisibility spell locks to all of the team mates. Making them invisible even when out of sight of the mage himself. If they need to deactivate the spell they just remove it from their person for a moment. I allowed it resently even, I believe. May be non canon...

So if a mage hands a levitate focus to another person. What would then happen? I think "he just floats mindlessly" is the boring answer. Iīd give power of the spell to the caster (duh). And if the caster walked away. Then the mindless floating begins (at least if the ground is far below).

You donīt have to remind me that no sensible magican would abuse foci these ways. Itīs to dangerous and expensive to loose them. But itīs fun to speculate.
Sharaloth
Erm... the Mage has to be within LOS to cast the spell at the very least. Once the spell's active and sustained, it can move outside of the caster's LOS without fear of disappearing. The mage can STILL hand out sustaining foci and cast a bunch of invisibility spells through them to have the entire team invisible (hmm... focus addiction?). The way levitate is described, if the caster just set a guy to moving and then left, I'm thinking that's when they would just stop and stick wherever they were when the caster left LOS. Once the sustaining focus is removed from the subject, the spell ends and has to be re-cast to work again, so you can't have an invisible guy drop the focus on the ground to go visible for a moment then pick it up again to go invisible, the spell ends once the focus is dropped.
tisoz
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
An Armor spell, for instance has two modes: off and on, and you can do jack about it inbetween.

Thus an Armor spell is a good candidate to use in a sustaining focus.

A levitate spell, on the other hand, allows you to vary speed and direction at the caster's discretion. I would assume the sustained spell would allow the caster the same options as always without having to end the spell to change things. I.E. the caster uses a sustaining focus to levitate himself and he's effectively flying and/or floating wherever he wants, without having to re-cast the spell every time he wants to change direction or speed.

That's where our opinion differs. I don't think a levitate spell is a good choice to have in a sustaining focus because I don't hold your assumptions. The spell doesn't need to end, the magician just needs to exert his control over the spell. I think sustaining signifies control.

I understand what your point. I just do not agree.

The book mentions nothing about sustaining foci acting like the elemental's sustain service. In fact I'd say they work on completely different principles, since the sustaining foci doesn't degrade the longer it holds the spell for the caster.

You asked for an example of sustaining being passed around.

No, actually that's covered in the rules. The spell is cast through the focus onto the subject, which is why when the focus loses contact with the subject it deactivates.

The spell is not cast into the focus, I wrongly assumed you actually read that. It is not cast through the focus either. The focus needs to be in contact with the target to sustain it, breaking the contact, breaks the sustainment. All of which is pretty irrelevant.

QUOTE (SR3.190)
Sustaining Foci
A sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster.

Please note the without attention part. It is the basis for my interpretation.
Sharaloth
'Maintaining' is the word I'm looking at, in conjunction with 'without attention or concentration'. So the spell is maintained, that is, kept active, but not controlled by the sustaining focus. The caster retains full control of the spell. And the spell does actually need to be cast through a sustaining focus, which is why it's an exclusive action to do it. You can't just cast a spell, sustain it yourself, and then link it into a sustaining focus at your leisure, you need to be using the focus from the very start.

In the end, this appears to be an interpretation problem. I'll hold to what I see the rules as saying, because that's what makes sense to me, is supported by canon, and makes for better play. You'll hold to your interpretation for your own reasons, but without direct canon references to why these things can or cannot happen, I don't think either of us has much ground to argue from.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Akai Sokata)
and a few more things about levitate? this one happened a few sessions ago, but another player of mine lavitaed a smug out the hands of some street garbage ganger.

This is definitely "okay", although I'd allow the ganger a simple Quickness check to "keep" the SMG (probably a TN of 4). Levitate doesn't let you manipulate objects too finely or with any amount of strength, at least not like Magic Fingers (the spell you SHOULD be using for this purpose).

then proceeded to aim and cast another levitate on the trigger of the gun blasting it off in auto fire at the poor frager that got it stolen from him. don't worry about time this was over the course of three turns.
Not a valid use of levitate. For one thing, spells cannot target parts of objects, only objects as a whole (unless dealing with very large objects). You'd need Magic Fingers to do this.
Rory Blackhand
This is an interesting thread. I haven't weighed in for awhile. I think there needs to be a rules clarification here. Add something like this to the rule and it works fine;

Sustaining Foci
A sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell THAT NORMALLY DOES NOT REQUIRE CONCENTRATION TO CHANGE IT'S PARAMETERS, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster.

So only if the spell can be cast without changing anything would the spell be able to be quickened. This would rule out Levitation as the caster would have to focus on the spell to change direction, speed, and elevations. It would also rule out Trid Entertainment and other spells as well.

Actually I wanted to add that it would not eliminate the possibility of using Levitate. As someone correctly mentioned earlier once the parameters of the spell were set and sustained the user would lose control of the spell. So for example if the spell was set to levitate at 1 meter/ turn straight upwards. The recipient of the spell lock would simply float away like a balloon.
tisoz
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
I'll hold to what I see the rules as saying, because that's what makes sense to me, is supported by canon, and makes for better play. You'll hold to your interpretation for your own reasons, but without direct canon references to why these things can or cannot happen

I keep giving canon references, but you fail to accept them.

QUOTE (SR3.178)
Sustained spells can be maintained over time.  As long as the caster concentrates on the spell it remains in effect.

QUOTE (SR3.190)
Sustaining Foci
A sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster.

QUOTE (MitS.47)
Limits of Sorcery
<snip>
Magic is not intelligent.  Mana does only what it is told when manipulated by Magical Skills such as Sorcery.  Magical effects do not make independant decisions.

When a magician casts a spell that is maintained by a sustaining focus, the caster never sustains it themself, the focus does. The focus precludes the need for a caster to concentrate on the spell. Since magic and the focus are mindless, there is no way to control spells maintained by sustaining foci. It would follow that is foolish to cast spells needing instructions into a sustaining focus if you expect instructions to be followed.

Your idea of the caster maintaining direction of the spell when all the work is being done by the focus is what lacks canon backing. By your interpretation, spells maintained by a sustaining focus should end when the caster is unconscious or asleep.

QUOTE (SR3.178)
When concentration is lost, the spell's effects disappear.

The reason they don't, is the focus is doing it in place of the caster. The caster is never directing the spell's effects.

In light of re-reading all the rules, I don't think I would allow the caster to override the focus to direct the spell at all. The spell is never controlled by the caster; it is controlled by the focus. The sustaining focus can not direct the spell; it is mindless. The spell cannot direct itself; it is mindless.
JaronK
I'd say that a sustaining focus just sustains the spell. That's all it does. It doesn't usurp controll of the spell from the caster... that would be called a "sustaining and controll usurping focus" or some such. It just means the caster doesn't have to concentrate on the spell... but he still has controll.

JaronK
Da9iel
Yeah, that's the way we've always played. I understand your point tisoz. I'd gladly adapt to it if a GM (or even a majority of players) said that's the way it is, but it never has been.

I'd like to see what the authors had in mind, but I'm afraid to mention it to the FAQ. biggrin.gif
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (SR3.178)
Sustained spells can be maintained over time.  As long as the caster concentrates on the spell it remains in effect.

QUOTE (SR3.190)
Sustaining Foci

QUOTE (MitS.47)
Limits of Sorcery
<snip>
Magic is not intelligent.  Mana does only what it is told when manipulated by Magical Skills such as Sorcery.  Magical effects do not make independant decisions.

When a magician casts a spell that is maintained by a sustaining focus, the caster never sustains it themself, the focus does. The focus precludes the need for a caster to concentrate on the spell. Since magic and the focus are mindless, there is no way to control spells maintained by sustaining foci. It would follow that is foolish to cast spells needing instructions into a sustaining focus if you expect instructions to be followed.

Your idea of the caster maintaining direction of the spell when all the work is being done by the focus is what lacks canon backing. By your interpretation, spells maintained by a sustaining focus should end when the caster is unconscious or asleep.

QUOTE (SR3.178)
When concentration is lost, the spell's effects disappear.

The reason they don't, is the focus is doing it in place of the caster. The caster is never directing the spell's effects.

In light of re-reading all the rules, I don't think I would allow the caster to override the focus to direct the spell at all. The spell is never controlled by the caster; it is controlled by the focus. The sustaining focus can not direct the spell; it is mindless. The spell cannot direct itself; it is mindless.

The canon references specify that the focus maintains the spell. It doesn't say the focus controls the spell. In fact, it says, nothing about the controlling of the spell.

That puts it in the grey area of GM call. Mine, were I to make one, would be that the caster maintains control, the focus simply maintains it. So if you wanted to use levitate into it you could, and control it however you wanted. When you weren't directing it, it would just continue what it was doing beforehand.

If that was 'hover' then it's hover. If it was 'move forward', it continues to move forward.

For the sadistic GMs, yes, that would mean zap the mage until he's unconscious while the focus is going 'up', and the mage will rise out of the atmosphere eventually wink.gif
Sharaloth
No, Tisoz, you are not proven right by your references. We are, in fact, referencing the exact same passages to prove our very seperate points. That makes it an interpretation difference, as I have stated repeatedly now. I have not ignored your canon references, as I assume (and hope) you are not ignoring mine. The simple fact of the matter is that it does not say 'when a spell is in a sustaining focus it is completely out of the caster's control', neither does it say 'when a spell is in a sustaining focus the caster can still direct it'. The rules simply do not say.

I beleive my interpretation is the superior, but there is absolutely nothing I can find in the book to say for sure. You may beleive yours is the superior, but there is absolutely nothing I can find to support that position for sure either. A sustained spell would not (technically) go away when the caster falls asleep or unconscious, so long as it is maintained by a sustaining focus (I would rule that it would vanish, but a quick search turned up no positive reference to this being the case). Would you be able to control the spell while asleep? No, no you wouldn't, that's just a silly suggestion. I have no idea where you got that "By your interpretation" wackiness, but it wasn't in any of my statements. As far as I'm concerned the 'unconscious' thing is far from what we are discussing and unnecessary to either of our interpretations.
tisoz
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
The canon references specify that the focus maintains the spell. It doesn't say the focus controls the spell. In fact, it says, nothing about the controlling of the spell.

I agree. I don't see why the mage gets control as a sort of default. The focus isn't usurping control from the mage, the mage never had it to begin. Why does the sustaining focus wipe away the TN modifier for actions while sustaining the spell? Because the mage doesn't have to think about it. If he controls it, he needs to think about it.

Sharaloth, the whole wackiness factor gets thrown in because I was trying to figure out how you figure the mage is sustaining the spell in any way (or every way except ones that increase TNs.)

Sharaloth
And that just makes me think you're completely misreading my posts. The mage is not sustaining the spell, the focus is, the mage is directing the spell. I'm fairly certain I made this clear.

Why does the sustaining focus wipe away TN modifiers for actions while sustaining a spell? Well, because it's a sustaining focus. That's what it does, that's all that it does. You pay karma and money for the specific priveledge of having a sustaining focus do exactly this. How hard is it to think 'Levitate spell go up!', or 'Levitate spell hover!'? If it requires enough effort to make doing other things difficult, then I suggest that you are doing something wrong. The distractions implied with sustaining a spell yourself are the effort of channelling mana and keeping the spell active, which the sustaining focus then takes over. The actual comands to the spells require little to no thought at all.
Dawnshadow
The mage HAS to have control of the spell. He casts it. He doesn't just suddenly have the focus grab ahold of mana and shape the spell, he actively casts the spell through the focus and takes drain from it.

My reading of that is that it, is that the focus takes away the need to consciously hold the spell.

Doesn't mean he can't influence the spell, or that he's cut off all connection to it, just means that the focus keeps it going.

Since there's no penalty increase for sustaining a levitate spell and moving, compared to sustaining an armour spell, I would say that controlling levitate is no harder than chewing gum or some other trivial task, so I don't see why applying any extra penalties for controlling it with a sustaining focus would make sense either.

Since the focus is linked to them and part of their aura while active, it just makes sense to me that it holds the spell, and they manipulate it as they want.

In fact, just realized this, there's an implicit requirement that the mage maintains control of the spell. He can turn it off at will, without dropping the focus. Hard to do if you've got no control over it wink.gif
JaronK
The reason we're defaulting to the mage controlling the spell is because the rules say the mage controlls the spell. Sustaining Focii never change this... nothing in the rules say the focus controlls the spell. If it did say that, it would work as you say, doing exactly what it was cast to do (in the case of levitate, you'd just float in place).

JaronK
Rory Blackhand
You can't CONTROL a spell sustained by another mage can you? Even if you are the recipient of the spell you would still levitate where the other mage wanted you to go. The same thing applies to the focus. The focus is now sustaining the spell. Even if you are the one who cast it you do not control it any longer. It is treated as if another mage is sustaining it.

So this means you do not get a free ride to somehow CONTROL 5 or 6 illusions while levitating all around while reading a book.

The levitation can be set, but it would be as I stated earlier. If you were moving upwards when you gave CONTROL of the spell to the focus you would move up with no more concentration on your part. You would NOT be able to stop the levitation direction as the CONTROL of the spell is now slaved to the focus.

Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
You can't CONTROL a spell sustained by another mage can you? Even if you are the recipient of the spell you would still levitate where the other mage wanted you to go. The same thing applies to the focus. The focus is now sustaining the spell.

That isn't really a good analogy, because you didn't cast the spell that is being sustained by the other mage. You did cast the spell that is being sustained by the Focus. There is a difference.

The default ruling in canon is that the caster controls his spell. There is nothing in the rules that contradicts this in regards to the Sustaining Focus.
Rory Blackhand
Yes it is a good analogy. It is the only one that makes sense. Or you could have hundreds of detailed illusions under your control, levitations, etc..., why not take a nap? You are not devoting any of your concentration to guide these spells according to what some want us to believe. And spell focuses can be placed on mundanes to give them bullet barriers etc... Should they get to control the levitation? There is a penalty to concentrating on a spell for a reason. Once you place it in the focus you are giving up CONTROL. You do not get to change it around anymore.
Rory Blackhand
And there may or may not be anything in cannon. But it is likely that the designers knew that spells like levitation could not be used in sustaining focuses. They are for bullet barriers and such. Not anything that requires concentration to use. And this is a good change to add to canon if it is nt there.
Fortune
Back that up with a canon quote then.

The TN penalties come from the strain of sustaining the spell itself, not from concentrating on it and adjusting it. Otherwise spells like Armor and Camouflage would not incur the TN penalty, because they do not require alteration after casting.

I don't know where you are getting these 'hundreds of detailed illusions' from. The spells sustained by a Focus have to be cast on a person or object to be valid. That eliminates most Illusions from being useable by a Sustaining Focus.
Eyeless Blond
Funny thing is, all this is irrelevant for Levitate. Let's look at the spell description:
QUOTE (pg. 197 @ SR3)
Levitate allows the caster to telekinetically lift an object and move it around

It doesn't say "the person controlling the spell," it says caster. Does the sustaining focus cast the spell? No. Therefore it is not the caster, and has nothing to do with control over the livitate spell's effects.

In fact, the same thing can be said of all sustained spells. In all the spell descriptions it's the *caster* that is granted the abilities, not whatever is currently in control of the spell. The exception is most detection spells, where it is the target which is granted the abilities. This whole discussion is irrelevant.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
And there may or may not be anything in cannon. But it is likely that the designers knew that spells like levitation could not be used in sustaining focuses. They are for bullet barriers and such. Not anything that requires concentration to use. And this is a good change to add to canon if it is nt there.

It isn't there for a reason. The designers did not intend anything like you state, otherwise the limitation would be listed in canon.
Rory Blackhand
Ok, forget the illusions. I have 12 sustaining focuses. I am going to cast levitate on each one. According to you, I can control the spell I cast. So my team is going to do the swan ballet suspended in mid air while I CONCENTRATE on studying astro physics. Since the focus does all the work somehow...See how stupid this sounds? You have to think past a simple levitate spell to show the abuse potential.
Rory Blackhand
It isn't there for a reason. The designers did not intend anything like you state, otherwise the limitation would be listed in canon.

Because the designers are perfect? Or because you say so?
Sharaloth
Rory, your first post and the comments therein relied upon a change to the stated canon rules, which is fine for a houseruling, but completely tertiary to a discussion of what the canon implications of the wordings are. Your analogy, as Fortune said, is a bad one. The sustaining focus does not cast the spell, the caster does, the focus maintains the spell, keeping it fed with mana, chanelling the various energies into the actual result of the spell. This says nothing, and I'm repeating myself ad nauseum here, nothing about whether the castor loses control of the spell when he casts it into (SR3 wording) a sustaining focus.

Can you have 5 or 6 illusions active in sustaining foci, be gliding around on a levitate (in a sustaining foci) and be reading a book? Sure, why the heck not? If you want the focus addiction problems, you can have it. Hundreds? Where'd you get all that karma, and what kind of idiot activates hundreds of foci at once?

Wait. I just gotta see if I can organize your thoughts for you.
You are not devoting any of your concentration to guide these spells according to what some want us to believe.

Okay, does this refer to my point of view, or Tisoz' ? In both of them you're not devoting much of your concentration to guide the spells, but in one you're devoid of any ability to guide at all, and in the other you just have to control the spell with a few simple thoughts, as opposed to the large effort reqiured if you were sustaining it yourself. I'm going to assume you meant my side of things.
And spell focuses can be placed on mundanes to give them bullet barriers etc... Should they get to control the levitation?

Huh? Alright. I think what you're trying to say is this: "Mundanes can be given sustaining foci and have Armor spells and such cast on them, should they be able to control a levitate spell similarly sustained on them?" My answer: No, of course not. They don't control the bullet barrier spell anymore than they would control a levitate spell. The caster controls such things.
There is a penalty to concentrating on a spell for a reason. Once you place it in the focus you are giving up CONTROL. You do not get to change it around anymore.

Okay, this seems fairly clear. My answers: Yes, yes there is. No, no it doesn't. And finally: That's not supported by canon, and up to interpretation.

[Edit:] Eyeless, that was brilliant. I didn't even think of that bit, thanks for the backup.
Dawnshadow
Alright, mental excerise outfits on people wink.gif Time to sort out how a sustaining focus might work.

From Canon, we have:
1-it maintains a spell.
2-focii are magical and tied to their bonded's aura

Now, for the sake of making everything nice and easy to deal with, we'll treat spells as a complex shape that the mage has to keep locked in his mind to sustain -- hermetics might invoke magical symbols and patterns into a complex shape, shamans might have something else, norse runes for a Loki shaman, a complex structure of stones and art, whatever. It all functions as a mana construct that is the spell.

To sustain it, the caster must maintain the construct by holding the spell in his/her/its mind, which means that part of his attention must be on the spell, to keep it from fading. If he doesn't concentrate on the spell, it breaks down, the mana falling into natural flows around the mage, and the spell ends.

Now, because sustaining focii are tied to the spell, and only sustain that spell, we can think of them a little like a framework that when the spell is cast, holds it. If you want a way to visualize it, we can say a bunch of tubes that the mage fills with water/mana, that shape the spell.

Because the focus is tied to the mages aura (since it's a link to the mage, and bonded with karma), that the mage can cast the spell into the focus so that the spell does not require him to sustain it. The spell is still in his aura, still part of him, because the focus is part of him. (Again, it's a valid link for him, so it must contain part of his aura) So, you have a mage who's still got the spell going, but the spell is not decaying and ending without him holding the spell in his mind. He's still aware of the spell, it just doesn't break down.

Now, as far as controlling the spell.. The mage not lost access to the spell, as it's still being maintained by something within his aura. The mage has not lost his skill with sorcery (obviously). The shape of the spell simply isn't breaking down and fading like it would without the sustaining focus. It doesn't require him constantly holding it and dividing his attention. He does something else, and the shape is still there when he directs his attention towards it.

Now, for spells that are not just on/off.. Do different tasks require variations of the spell? Does going 'forward' with levitate require the spell to change it's shape? Does going up or down? Since there are not multiple spells, the answer is obviously 'no'. So changing the spell's shape isn't necessairy.

Therefore, we can infer that there's some other mechanism for controlling how a spell works. Since the focus is part of the caster's aura, the spell is still within his aura, and so, we can infer, the control of the spell is still in the aura.
Sandoval Smith
Oh my god, never before had I thought of how game breaking it would be to have a mid-air, magical reproduction of "Swan Lake." Despite all the posts people have made, I have yet to see any reasonable arguement for why sustaining a spell suddenly means that you have no more control over it.

As for hundreds of illusions running around while you sleep, I have no problem with that, if you somehow have hundreds of sustaining foci active. Those illusions will keep doing whatever it was you told them to do before you went to sleep.
Rory Blackhand
Well, it is late here. I have to sleep. Tomorrow I will show you that you are wrong.

In the meantime can anyone tell me how they plan to make exacting and advanced manuevers with 12 levitated friends while studying calculus?

If anyone has ever juggled you will understand what I am saying. You just can't focus your mind on that many different tasks at once. There would be a penalty regardless of what rules lawyers dig up. It is just too sensless otherwise and I have yet to be convinced.
Rory Blackhand
Those illusions will keep doing whatever it was you told them to do before you went to sleep.

According to you, though, a PC will be able to make them change and interact with the environment while the PC sleeps...because there is no "concentration" on the spell, so no penalty...all 12 of them.

Oh my god, never before had I thought of how game breaking it would be to have a mid-air, magical reproduction of "Swan Lake." Despite all the posts people have made, I have yet to see any reasonable arguement for why sustaining a spell suddenly means that you have no more control over it.

But I was just joking. My team is going to fly around and drop grenades on you from an elevation out of gunshot range. And I am going to control it all without so much as a +1 TN to my other spells I will be casting.

I have yet to see any reasonable argument for why sustaining a spell in a spell focus means you still have control over it.
Sandoval Smith
I can't recall if it's actually in the books, but doesn't it take a simple action to move around with a Leviatate spell? So all you need are 12 simple actions, and you have your ballet production.

According to you, though, a PC will be able to make them change and interact with the environment while the PC sleeps...because there is no "concentration" on the spell, so no penalty...all 12 of them.

I don't know what you think you're talking about, but it's nothing that I, or anyone else in this thread has said. Put away your strawmen before you get burned. The arguement being advanced is that when put into a Sustaining Foci, you still have the same ability to affect the performance of the spell as if you were still sustaining it yourself.
Sharaloth
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand @ Mar 13 2005, 10:46 PM)
Well, it is late here. I have to sleep. Tomorrow I will show you that you are wrong.

In the meantime can anyone tell me how they plan to make exacting and advanced manuevers with 12 levitated friends while studying calculus?

If anyone has ever juggled you will understand what I am saying. You just can't focus your mind on that many different tasks at once. There would be a penalty regardless of what rules lawyers dig up. It is just too sensless otherwise and I have yet to be convinced.

I just had to keep a record of it, in case he edits later.

Please do not throw down such a hefty gauntlet, you'll never be able to pick it up again, and I don't think the DS admins want it littering their floor. First of all, if I'm going to be levitating my 12 friends into some form of ballet (all with sustaining foci, mind) then I'm going to make damn sure I don't have to check for magic loss while I do it. So, giving the spell a good force 4 to keep my chummer's involuntary movements from disrupting the spell, as well as allowing for some of the faster manouvers (not that that'll be a problem, as you'll see). So I'm gonna be a grade 18 initiate at least. Now, to get to such a level of power, I've probably got to be able to do mental gymnastics that would drive lesser beings to madness, plus I'm so highly initiated into the magical world that a simple levitate spell is beneath my usual notice. But, hey, I've got this dream of making 12 people twirl and jump and all sorts of ballet stuff while floating in midair. No problem! With those sustaining foci, I only have to pay minimal attention to each person, possibly next to nothing. So, hey, my ballet dream is coming true, but it's too easy, so I decide to do something that REALLY takes up my brainpower, like calculus (Maybe I'm a shaman who knows grade 10 math and that's it, but can wrap the metaplanes around my little finger). So now I've got a bunch of floating people striking poses and gliding through the air with the greatest of ease, and I'm trying to work out derivatives at the same time. Give me an intelligence check, and maybe a couple perception ones so I don't have two of my participants slam facefirst into each other, and not only have I put on my air ballet, but I've picked up a new knowledge skill at the same time, Hurrah!

That was a waste of my time, and yours.

You cannot prove us wrong because there is no canon evidence of right or wrong in this case, just statement and interpretation. Take my word for it, it's not worth the effort.

[edit:] Well, looks like I forgot to include the inhuman intelligence level of my example uber-magician. Thanks, Fortune. With his INT of 12, I'm beginning to think calculus wasn't hard enough to make the entire thing interesting. How's working on the unified field theory, proving Einstein from 1st principles, playing chess with Lofwyr AND directing ballet. That's a well stuffed straw man for ya.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)

1) Sustaining a spell in a sustaining focus does not require concentration, since the spell does not vanish as it would normally. So it doesn't matter if you've got 1 focus, or 1000 focii, as far as sustaining goes. As far as focus addiction goes, you've just burnt out. Enjoy life as a mundane.

2) The debate is over here, where you don't lose control over a sustaining focus. Not over there, where you're manipulating 12 spells while reading a textbook and making people dance in midair.

3) Making complex manouvers would require concentration, because you're attempting to position multiple people at once in a complicated and rapidly changing pattern. It would not require concentration to maintain the spells. Studying calculus while doing that is simply trying to add a multitude of tasks to the casters list of things to do in hopes of creating an insane example so that you can attempt to justify a position that has no strength.

4) Do not confuse a group of trivial tasks with a complicated task. Chewing gum is a trivial task. Chewing 4 pieces of gum, without keeping them separate, is a trivial task. Chewing 4 pieces of gum and keeping them separate is a complicated task, not 4 simple tasks. Controlling 1 spell would therefore be a trivial task. Controlling 4 spells that are doing the same thing (4 levitate spells going up), would be a trivial task. Controlling 4 levitate spells going in interlocking spirals would be a complicated task.

5) The fact that you have not been convinced of something does not affect the validity or soundness of anothers position. At best, it indicates that you also have firm convicitons and a strong position. At worst, it indicates that they are attempting to argue with a wall. In neither case, does it make their position less valid.
Sandoval Smith
To dissociate from Rory's 12 strawmen ballet, there is nothing in the description of Sustaining Foci that says they alter the nature of the spell. Levitate moves things where you tell it to. So if you put Levitate into a Sustaining Focus, and then don't tell it to go anywhere, then nothing happens. I think that telling a Levitate spell where to go is a simple action (don't have my books), so if you've got multiple people sustained, you're going to be keeping yourself too busy spending simple actions juggling them around to read that Calculus book.

The fallacy of Rory's posts is that he's somehow gotten it into his head that not having to concentrate to sustain them = not having to concentrate to use them. Let's hope he clears himself up on that.
Sharaloth
No mention of a simple action to move in SR3. I assume it's a free action because it's never stated otherwise. Is this errata'd or cleared up somewhere in MitS?
Fortune
A few things about Rory's Strawman post(s)...

*Isn't the number of Foci a mage can use limited to Intelligence?

*Sustaining Foci can only hold spells cast on a person or object. Independant Illusions that interact with the environment would not qualify as such.

*Focus Addiction becomes a factor when a mage uses more than twice his magic rating in Force worth of Foci.

As was said by many people, absolutely nothing at all in canon backs up your assertion that a mage loses or turns over control of a spell when he chooses to sustain it with a Focus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012