Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sustain focus, can it sustain any spell?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
Since Canon does not state that the caster of Levitate suffers from any TN penalties while using it, he does not suffer TN penalties. The sustaining focus only takes over the sustaining of the spell, the caster still is able to move or lift things as per effect of Levitate.
I'll argue that it shuld incur an additional +1 TN.

Okay, now you've moved on to making new rules up for no good reason. Not only are you ignoring how the game works, but you're making up entirely new rules, in direct contradiction to the ones already in the book, just to be contrary and to prop up an argument that you just can't concede, no matter how wrong you've been proven both by book references and common sense arguments.
If he is simply moving something, he suffers no penalty. If he is doing other more complex things, it becomes a use of a skill and that takes a Complex Action.
That works great for 1 focus. Now explain 6. In 6 different directions and speeds and elevations of course. I refuse to believe there is no TN penalty.

Explain 10 fingers, all moving at different speeds and striking different keys at just about the same time, all while the person using them is thinking about the argument and less about what he's typing. I refuse to believe that it's possible to type using ten whole fingers at once without incurring TN mods for every single one.

Hell, each keystroke requires the use of several different muscles all operating in tandem! That's at least a +100 to the TN for typing while thinking of what to write right there! That's why noone can type at more than 3 keystrokes per minute; it's just so damn complicated to keep track of everything.

Oh, and quit spouting bile at the other Dumshockers, "kid." You're starting to sound like Doc Funk when he was on one of his damnfool irrational tirades, but at least he understood the rules and didn't start making up his own.
Rory Blackhand
I don't believe you could just pick up and use that Sec-Mage's Force 1 Increase Reflexes 3 Sustaining Focus without first bonding it yourself.

This is so mundane and off topic, but you said "I don't believe", as in you were not sure, you didn't know, you were guessing. I hope this answers your question, and I hope we can refrain from insults in the future?
Rory Blackhand
Okay, now you've moved on to making new rules up for no good reason. Not only are you ignoring how the game works, but you're making up entirely new rules, in direct contradiction to the ones already in the book, just to be contrary and to prop up an argument that you just can't concede, no matter how wrong you've been proven both by book references and common sense arguments.

I haven't been proven wrong by book refrences. The book is vague. You have not shown me where you can take control of a spell in a focus and change the parameters. Nobody has quoted the book yet, feeble as your atempts are to avoid confronting what I am actually saying to prop up your lame ascertations. And common sense? Answer my argument about the 6 levitating objects with no TN penalties.

Your lame example of typing is nothing compared to piloting 6 remote control airplanes at once. Stop defending munchkinism.

Oh, and quit spouting bile at the other Dumshockers, "kid." You're starting to sound like Doc Funk when he was on one of his damnfool irrational tirades, but at least he understood the rules and didn't start making up his own.

Bile? I was attacked and responded in kind. I am no door mat. Never have been never will be, "kid".
Sharaloth
Okay, here's the deal. You have no clue how old I am. I have no clue how old you are. I'm inclined to beleive that you are, indeed, as old as you claim, however much your ramblings contradict it. For all I know you're a fifteen year old kid who just heard about SR and wanted to get in on the action. I didn't even bother to check your join date, I don't care. You, similarly, have no bloody clue as to my age, sex, or anything else. All you have to go on is the same I have to go on, writing style and apparant intelligence. You are showing the capacity to write and respond to criticism, even if you seem to lack the ability to understand logical reasoning, which tells me that you are at least in high-school (though you might be a precocious elementary-school kid). Now, were you old enough to be my grandfather (possible, but highly unlikely), then I suppose you could take that as an insult, but I would really rather you try to understand my point of view here.'

So, now that we won't be attempting to out-old each other, let's continue on to your rediculous commentary, shall we?

1) You said you don't give a damn, then you say you do (and apparantly you want the rules errata'd with your particular houseruling, which I shall bring up again later). That's a contradiction, but one of the least of your transgressions.

2) Of course you're unimpressed, you have failed to understand (or perhaps read) the many posts that preceeded your entry into this discussion, or the ones that came after (other than, of course, to attack them without making a point of your own). I wouldn't expect you to be impressed by something that has so obviously gone over your head (apologies for the personal attack, but that's exactly what it seems has happened). It IS an outrageous statement that you will show us we're wrong. Made even more outrageous by your inability to back it up.

3) ohplease.gif I saved the post because I thought it hilarious, an exercise in fallacy. I admit I didn't want you to change your post, but that's because it would have been such a waste of good material. As to why you're here, well, from what you've been doing, it appears you ARE here to bicker (pimply faced kid or not, that's exactly what you're doing, and what you've been doing since you started this rampage).

4) Well, here's the grandfather quote, as well as an assertion that I should not worry about you getting picked on. Alright then. I won't. Instead of trying to be a nice guy and giving you the benefit of one huge doubt, I'll assume you're just an idiot who thinks he can get more respect online by claiming to be old. No, I'm too mature for that, I'm sorry. I'll save the name calling for others who care less than I. I'll try to limit myself to obviously deserved slights.

5) . . . Stop it. Just . . . stop trying to prove my faith in you wrong. A levitate spell is capable of lifting virtually any item not nailed down. That's more than one 'thing' therefore a Levitate spell is capable of lifting 'things'. Only one of these 'things' at a time, yes, but 'things' nonetheless. Learn how to converse.

6) Yes, yours are straw men. And it isn't so much a lame argument, as it is a true one. And, I might add, completely irrelevant to the point I made.

7) I'll defer to others on this point, they have said it better than I would. As to the 6 levitate spells . . . stop with the straw men already! The number of spells sustained is irrelevant to the discussion.

8 ) I'm pretty sure nobody here agrees with everything canon, but most of us agree that any relevant discussion of the rules has to be based in canon, otherwise we're in houserule hell territory. As to your position being supported by canon... no, you beleive that canon should support your argument. As noted earlier, you want your houserule on sustaining foci/multiple sustained spells to be made canon via errata. That does not mean canon backs you. Actually, as noted so many times in this thread, your position is not supported by canon.

9)
Some people refuse to believe shit stinks until they get their noses rubbed in it.
Indeed.

10 and beyond do not deal with my post directly, so I'll let who he is insulting there respond for themselves. With one final note.

I don't give a damn about you or whether you want to play forum Gestapo

Is it just me, or did he just reference what I think he referenced? Aren't there traditional consequences for something like that?
Rory Blackhand
At least you're honest enough to admit your own failings.

I did get my nose rubbed into a pile a few times 20 30 years ago when I was your age.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
I haven't been proven wrong by book refrences. The book is vague. You have not shown me where you can take control of a spell in a focus and change the parameters. Nobody has quoted the book yet, feeble as your atempts are to avoid confronting what I am actually saying to prop up your lame ascertations. And common sense? Answer my argument about the 6 levitating objects with no TN penalties.
Now I'm the first to admit that the book is vague on a number of occasions. I've actually sent Fanpro a very long email recently concerning several vagurities in their books, particularly Matrix. This, however, is not one of them. Re-reading the sections I already quoted, it is obviously clear that control over the spell's granted abilities are necessarily independent of the mental strain (and associated TN mods) related to maintaining the cast spell. Others have said this as well as I several times in the past, and you responded with the argument that you "don't care about the rules," and that in your opinion they shouldn't be. Well I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but don't try to pass it off as canon just because you want it to be.

Your lame example of typing is nothing compared to piloting 6 remote control airplanes at once. Stop defending munchkinism.
And, similarly, I contend that using the abilities granted by six levitate spells is *also* nothing compared to piloting six remote control airplanes at once, and is in fact no more complicate than moving six different muscles in your hand. You'll have to make some sort of argument that it is, because according to the rules as written my interpretatin stands as the more valid one. For support I come back to the arguments proving that sustaining a levitate spell is no more strain-inducing than sustaining an armor spell, an argument you have yet to refute other than claiming that there should be an additional TN mod, a claim which you have yet to support in any way.

Bile? I was attacked and responded in kind. I am no door mat. Never have been never will be, "kid".

Incorrect. the whole series of personal attacks began when you responded personally to an accusation of using the straw man argumentative fallacy. Accusing you of attacking a straw man rather than the point under debate isn't a personal attack; rather it is a valid way of countering a false argument. Responding to it as it were a personal attack puts you in the wrong, but rather than own up to your mistake and admit you were wrong, even after others pointed out that a straw man accusation isn't a personal insult, you insist on acting as if you were personally attacked and continue to respond to what you believe as in kind. This in turn makes others respond to you as if you were a child, or at least an immature adolescent. This is where the "kid" I was quoting comes from.
Eyeless Blond
I should also point out that streching the claim that directing the effects of a levitate spell does not incur TN mods to 6 sustaining foci and and an aerial ballet is an almost textbook example of the aforementioned straw man fallacy, but that only seems to provoke you to respond as if you have been personally attacked. This is why I decided to take up that argument as well rather than dismissing it as tangental and ludicrous, which it is.
JaronK
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)

Yes, you have, repeatedly. Shall we quote yet again the part that says the spell lets the caster move things? Unless you can find anything, anywhere, that says that a sustaining focus changes that fact, you've been proved completely and totally wrong by the book.

As to your strawman arguement about the arial ballet (and yes, it's a strawman), there's no penalty for moving 6 people using the levitate spell, but if your GM wants to impose "attention devided" penalties for moving two people in different ways, that's your GM's call. It would be the same as attempting to make a perfect illusion of a known person... your GM might set a high target number to get the illusion to look exactly right, but that doesn't mean the TN to cast the illusion in the first place changes.

JaronK
Critias
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand @ Mar 14 2005, 11:42 PM)
If that is not canon, it should be, just using common sense.

And this, ladies and gents, is how on-line debates get out of control. One group of people are talking about the game rules in the books, and Rory here's talking about the game rules in his head. All you're doing is wandering around, alone in House Rule Land, swinging your broomstick at a pinata miles and miles away, full of tasty treats that the other children will get to eat while you cry inside your blindfold.

You can't get in a discussion on-line about "common sense" or "how the rules should be" and still use words like "right" and "wrong." Once you stop discussing canon directly, you're just spouting opinions (and insults). You're sitting here disagreeing with the rules, blatantly stating you disagree with the rules, and then calling anyone who agrees with the rules a munchkin or rules-laywer (for being, y'know, right when they state a fact). And, see, that's what my generation calls "funny."

If you want to discuss how Levitate works in a focus, discuss how Levitate works in a focus. Not how you think it should, and how everyone who thinks different is a munchkin, but how it works according to the rules of the game we're all here to talk about. We don't care how old you are, we don't care how tough you talk, we don't care how offended you get at your straw man arguments being called straw man arguments. We care about the rules, and clarifying them.

Change your diaper, swap out your dentures, rub in your arthritis medication, put on your bifocals, and read the rulebook. Then come back and take part in a discussion. "Kid."

(See? It's easy to be rude over the internet -- you didn't pioneer it, just because you started it on this thread.)
mintcar
Rory: If you truly want to come to a conclusion to this debate, adress one of the many answers you have gotten that have said approximetly the following:

A focus sustains a spell, so there is no way you would get a penalty for sustaining the spell. That penalty comes from sustaining, which you are not doing. However, if you were to do something complex using the spell, like orchestrating an arial ballet, then the target number is set by the GM. If you are the GM and you consider that a hard thing to accomplish (and I would tend to agree with you, puting me at odds with Eyeless Blond) then you simply give that task a high TN, and make it an exclusive complex action. This is the way most people here see it. Itīs perfectly allright for any individual GM to rule how difficult a task should be. So your examples are really no problem for a GM to handle within the rules, and they can be handled in accordance with that GM's view on common sense.

I havenīt been a big part of this discussion, so I view myself as an outside observer of sorts. And I can tell you feel cornered and missunderstood. God knows I know itīs easy to get into that situation. Even if you start to lighten up in that situation, itīs hard to get others to stop attacking everything you say. Never the less, it seems to me that youīre mostly the one to blame for the way this thread has turned out. It was probably not your intention, but anyway you need to lighten up.
Tarantula
As to the 6 man ballet. I ask this:

Can you picture 6 people, floating through the air how the ballet should look?

Yes? Its not that hard to picture them up there, doing their twirls and not right? Thats how hard it is for the mage to tell the spell what to do. Thats why its trivial.

Now, what if he was sustaining all the spells? Complete with +12TN modifier and all. He still can make them do a ballet, and study calculus, sustaining that many spells is straining, but he can still ballet them till the cows come home.

Alternately, studying calculus I would argue is an exclusive action, at least, if you want to actually remember any of it when you're done.
Dawnshadow
I believe I have sufficiently proven that changing a direction is not changing the spell.

No, you haven't actually. This is a unique kind of spell that requires concentration on the part of the caster for it to operate correctly, unlike an armor spell for instance. Once you place it into a focus the spell is set. Nothing in canon says you can change the spell once it is placed in a focus.

Yes, I have. Convincing you is not required for the argument to be sound.
But, in the interests of how it's going...

How is my reasoning flawed? Is there ANYTHING in canon to suggest that a spell giving the caster telekinetic control over something and moving it 'up' is different from a spell giving the caster telekinetic control over something and moving it 'left'? I haven't seen anything, in the multiple readings of the spell and descriptions of magic.

What I have seen, is that the spell gives the caster telekinetic control over the target of the spell. Nothing else. If you want the way the spell works, from an in-game perspective? You cast it, and imagine where you want something to go. If you have a sustaining focus, you don't have to concentrate on maintaining the spell, you just have to think about moving the target. If you don't have a sustaining focus, you have to do both.

Beyond that.. Of course the spell is set. The spell is set the INSTANT it's cast. You can't change the force, you can't change the target, you can't change the spell. By your interpretation of the rules, even without a sustaining focus, you can't change the direction the person is going in, because BY CANON, spells cannot be changed once cast.

Likewise, your comments about 'placing spells into the focus' are, to put it bluntly, nonsensical. You cast a spell through the focus. You don't cast the spell, then put it in the focus. It's ALWAYS in the focus.

Please indicate where this makes any reference to the sustaining of the spell?

The reference was in the spell header with the big "S" for sustained.

Good for you, you've proven that it's a sustained spell. Now please address the actual issue -- that using the spell is in no way related to sustaining it, and that the spell is NOT the telekinetic motion of the object, but rather, granting the caster the ability to manipulate THAT object telekinetically?

What parameters are set when casting a sustained levitate spell into a focus?

Speed and direction of the item levitated.

That position is unsupported by canon, the spell, logic, common sense, or the majority of the persons who have posted on this thread. If you want to houserule it, fine, but that is NOT the levitate spell.

I repeat, the levitate spell is NOT the manipulation of the object, but the ability of the caster to manipulate that object.

As for the caster concentrating being required to move it around at will.. of course he has to concentrate on it. Your argument is spacious, nobody has said that the caster doesn't have to concentrate to move someone. What we haven't said, is that he has to concentrate on the spell to do it. To make that work, please see my above arguments about how the spell would have to be different for each different motion, and recognize that your position is unsupported by canon and is in fact in direct opposition of canon.

Car Analogy:
Remote control devices are not comperable to levitate spell/telekinetic manipulation. Yes, the car analogy works to a degree, as far as one vehicle. Extending it to multiple vehicles is not a sound position however. What the car analogy gives, is a combination of tasks (sustaining and using the spell), and the differences between sustaining(the gas) and maintaining(the steering). The difficulties are completely reversed from canon, but that is another matter, and not relevent to my point, which was simply that manipulating the target and sustaining the spell are distinct.

Munchkinism comments: The Canon-based view is fundamentally opposed to yours, and you have insisted that the canon-based view is munchkin. That's your position. Your alternatives are unsupported by canon, and beyond that, I personally find to be logically spacious and irreconciable with my view on how magic in shadowrun works.

You are arguing that firing a gun at a single target deserves a +1 TN for holding the gun. Holding the gun is a trivial task (see previous posts for other examples and justification as to why manipulation of something via a levitate spell is a trivial task), so it does NOT modify the difficulty. Unless, of course, your game includes this modifier. If it does include modifiers for holding the gun, then we'll increase the modifiers by having the weight change with every bullet fired, identical to the recoil modifiers sounds about right. This is completely unsupported by canon, but roughly equivalent to your position -- after all, you have to rebalance your gun every bullet that's fired, so there should be a +1 penalty there.

After all, someone with skill 8 and enough recoil comp to negate full auto is munchkin, so we have to make full auto harder.

And to head off the retorts about how the person with skill 8 and lots of recoil comp isn't munchkin, because they bought the skill up to 8 and paid nuyen... the mage BONDED sustaining focii. 6 of them, according to your example. That's 24-30 karma, assuming force 4-5 to cast. The person, with skill 6 initially and quick 6, paid 30 karma to get the skill up to 8. Comperable. Why does one deserve penalties for the other being munchkin and the other not?

All I am saying is do not allow spells to be sustained that need concentration to keep them going, or penalize them with TN penalties. Can you at least address this?

Um... We don't, that's canon, all sustained spells give a +2 TN unless cast through a sustaining focus.

What you are saying, is that either: manipulating someone under the levitate spell is a complicated task that does not take up an action but provides a TN change, or the levitate spell is a complicated spell and requires an increased target number to sustain to represent this.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (mintcar)
However, if you were to do something complex using the spell, like orchestrating an arial ballet, then the target number is set by the GM. If you are the GM and you consider that a hard thing to accomplish (and I would tend to agree with you, puting me at odds with Eyeless Blond) then you simply give that task a high TN, and make it an exclusive complex action.
Well, more than that, just because you can try something doesn't mean you'll succeed at it. Remember the fingers analogy I gave earlier: just because you can move your fingers without thinking too much about it doesn't mean you can automatically type 120 words per minute. In the same exact way, just because you can telekinetically lift objects with essentially no effort doesn't mean you can perform an aerial ballet with no effort. The act of lifting someone is easy, as the sustaining focus is doing all the hard work for you; using it to do something complex is not. I believe this was covered before as well.

(Edit): Essentially I'm agreeing with you. The point I was trying to make is that using telekinetic control to move the people around in said aerial ballet does not impose its own TN modifier. The task itself may be hard, but the individual movements are fairly easy. Just like typing 120 wpm is hard, but moving your fingers is easy.
mintcar
I figured as much. I sort of suspected "at odds" was not the best phrase to use. But I could think of nothing better, because english is not my native language. And even if we were to be at odds about that issue, my argument is that in that case both of our positions would be valid. TN's are after all given copletely to the GM to decide ("by the power invested in me, I declare..."). Try to use all the modifiers you can dig up that are in the rules, but if the TN doesnīt seem right for some reason, itīs your fraggin' duty to change it. Not every situation can be covered by the rules. So thereīs two arguments on this thread now.

One thatīs about how difficult it would be to accomplish Roryīs aerial feats and what not. This argument has little to do with the rules, as itīs the GMīs call. You could maybe say something worthwhile with knowledge of physics or psycology or something. It would however be good if we could stop talking about it, as nobody is likely to ever have to make that call anyway.

The other has to do with if you can use a spell tossed into a focus like usual, or if it becomes frozen (so to speak). Iīm going with the first option, but I see logic in the second too. This thread should come back on track. There might still be interesting arguments about this out there.
JaronK
I think there's an easy analogy to make with the ariel ballet thing.

When a choreographer creates a dance, it's not the choreographer who does the dancing... the dancers do it. It's still the choreographer's dance, and what he wants is what happens... the dancers don't do any thinking, they just follow directions.

Casting levitate into a sustaining focus is like this. It follows the directions of the caster, even though the caster doesn't have to sustain the levitate spell.

I think in the case of the Arial Ballet thing, you'd cast it as normal into your 6 sustaining foci, and then make a Performance (Dance) or Knowledge: Choreography check with a TN based on how difficult the dance is, to see if they don't crash into each other.

JaronK
TheWinningLoser
Alright guys, as it happens, I was the caster in question about this spell. I picked the focus off an elven spell slinger, and bound it to levitate. Alright. Good so far. I never really intended for that to turn into a heated debate that turns dumpshock into another livejournal. (Calm down Sharaloth.) Can't we all just say that the rules specified in (Insert source book here) aren't exactly clear enough on how levitate works, what it can and can't do, and that we all have no idea what the hell we're talking about?

Thought so.

Now, with that out of the way, why don't we disregard this whole thing and leave it up to the GM to call it based on houserules? Sounds good.

I just thought it would be kind of cool to be a dwarf that's 3'5" tall, 6'5" if you count the three foot gap between him and the ground. Seriously, I can hoof it for god's sake.

END.
Eyeless Blond
Actually if you look over the conversation the honest debate was over awhile back, around page 2-3, where it was discovered that the spell description didn't refer to who or what was sustaining the spell to figure out who gets control over the levitation abilities, but simply refers to the caster. The rest of the thread was spent convincing a small minority that when you're looking for answerf from the canon ruleset you can't just ignore what the books say just because you don't like being wrong.

So, yes, END by all means, but let's give credit where credit is due; this is actually one case where the rules are *not* at all ambiguous, however much you want to ignore them.
Rory Blackhand
Ok, I am going to ignore Sharaloth because she is not worth wasting time on and makes zero sense. I have to work long hours and do not get a chance to return here every day to respond to childish drivel.

Eyeless Blond, nobody on this thread has shown me how the TN penalty for sustaining a spell are arrived at. In a calm and rational way can you direct me anywhere in the rules that shows the TN is solely because of the effort of channeling the mana to power the spell?

It is my contention that the +2 TN penalty involved is not derived from channeling the magic and powering the spell, but because of the CONCENTRATION involved in controlling/manipulating the effects of the spell, or in other words, the actual act of USING the spell's abilities. I have not read, (THOUGH I MAY BE WRONG), anything to dispute this.

So if you follow that logic you understand why I feel there should be a +2 TN modifier for each sustained spell that requires any amount of concentration to use, no matter how trivial munchkin players attempt to make it seem.

To clear it up, I do care about the rules. That is why I am attempting to reason with everyone. But I do not care what a rule says if it needs to be changed. It being the whole point to change a broken rule. Likewise I do care what others have to say. But I did not feel that being verbally gang banged by a bunch of youngsters calling my arguments made of straw good manners either. It is funny that I've yet to ever be insulted or have that kind of language used to my face, which makes it kind of frustrating to a guy that did not grow up in the electronic age.

Now to something in particular:

And, similarly, I contend that using the abilities granted by six levitate spells is *also* nothing compared to piloting six remote control airplanes at once, and is in fact no more complicate than moving six different muscles in your hand. You'll have to make some sort of argument that it is, because according to the rules as written my interpretatin stands as the more valid one. For support I come back to the arguments proving that sustaining a levitate spell is no more strain-inducing than sustaining an armor spell, an argument you have yet to refute other than claiming that there should be an additional TN mod, a claim which you have yet to support in any way.

I agree with you that piloting 6 planes would be more difficult than manipulating 6 levitation spells solely with your mind. I don't think it would be much more difficult though and here is the reason why I feel that way; think carefully for a moment, think about controlling a single ball with your mind alone. You may be using just your mind, but in order to make the ball move you must be able to see it. We have all heard the phrase "don't take your eye off the ball". Now imagine having two balls to maneuver around. You have to at least look to see which way each one is going and where each one is at a given time. According to the spell if you lose concentration the spell drops. So if you take your eye off of one of the balls the other might drop.

Assuming you are correct, that you are able to use the spell to levitate the original target of the spell at will, ie.. the levitate spell is being powered by the sustaining focus, I do not believe the sustaining focus will give you license to break your concentration on manipulating the ball without consequences. Which means you must focus your concentration on using a spell like levitation, which in my opinion means you would suffer a +2 TN modifier for each additional task you attempt. A +12 modifier to skill use is not unreasonable considering you are manipulating and focusing your eyes on 6 flying objects potentially going in 6 different directions, at 6 different speeds, and at 6 different rates of travel all at once. Anyone saying this would be easy is simply a munchkin player.

Your eyes can only be in one place at a time. Even if you could move the mouse pointer on the screen you are looking at you could only move one pointer at a time. You may be able to move them quickly, but could you run thru 6 different mazes with 6 different pointers? A turn is 3 seconds in SR. Let's say you had a maze that took 3 seconds to finish. Do you think you could finish 6 different mazes in 3 seconds with 6 mouse pointers under your mental control? If you answer honestly you will see my point. And in other words, you can't just look at the start of the maze, look at the end and make the mouse move thru the maze on auto pilot. That is not what the sustaining focus would do, the sustaining focus is no more than power to make the mouse appear on your screen. Similarly you could not levitate a hammer, a saw, a screw driver, a brick trowel, a cement float, and a wrench and have them fly around building a house for you with a straight up civil engineering roll while you check the blue prints. Thin it thru, and use common sense like I am asking instead of picking holes in a general idea I have. I am not a rules lawyer.

Incorrect. the whole series of personal attacks began when you responded personally to an accusation of using the straw man argumentative fallacy.

Well that is great that you have some place to go and get your quotes. But I take it personal when anyone insults me. According to the dictionary a straw man (is a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted), That does not describe my point of view and I take offense to having my view belittled. Nobody would do it to my face and I am certain i the context in which you all have done it. So I did not start the personal attacks in this thread. If you feel me belittling your points and making smarmy arrogant comments about your labors is not insulting then you have a thicker skin than I. Meanwhile I will respond in the manner that I am spoken to.

Accusing you of attacking a straw man rather than the point under debate isn't a personal attack; rather it is a valid way of countering a false argument.

My point is valid and is on topic. I apparently have a way of typing over everyone's head, or not being clear. For that I apologize. And to be clear, you did not say I was attacking straw men. You said my point was a straw man argument. Instead of attacking me, attack my point if you disagree, nobody likes to be ridiculed that way. My reaction was totally understandable.

Responding to it as it were a personal attack puts you in the wrong, but rather than own up to your mistake and admit you were wrong, even after others pointed out that a straw man accusation isn't a personal insult, you insist on acting as if you were personally attacked and continue to respond to what you believe as in kind. This in turn makes others respond to you as if you were a child, or at least an immature adolescent. This is where the "kid" I was quoting comes from.

Others jumped on the straw man band wagon because like cowardly school yard bullies they saw I did not appreciate it, so used it as a weapon. That is attacking the person and not the point. Even after I made it clear I did not appreciate it, other posters joined in late to flame me from the safety of their mummy and daddy's house. kind of cowardly in my opinion. But usually when someone is losing a debate they resort to this sort of tactic.

I should also point out that streching the claim that directing the effects of a levitate spell does not incur TN mods to 6 sustaining foci and and an aerial ballet is an almost textbook example of the aforementioned straw man fallacy, but that only seems to provoke you to respond as if you have been personally attacked. This is why I decided to take up that argument as well rather than dismissing it as tangental and ludicrous, which it is.

No. What is ludicrous is you suggesting you can control a spell after it has been powered by a focus without a TN penalty.

Yes, you have, repeatedly. Shall we quote yet again the part that says the spell lets the caster move things? Unless you can find anything, anywhere, that says that a sustaining focus changes that fact, you've been proved completely and totally wrong by the book.

You have not quoted to me where the TN penalty comes from powering the spell with mana. So repeat once again if you have, there has been so much straw I can't find it.

As to your strawman arguement about the arial ballet (and yes, it's a strawman), there's no penalty for moving 6 people using the levitate spell, but if your GM wants to impose "attention devided" penalties for moving two people in different ways, that's your GM's call.

Since you insist on insulting my point of view and the work I am putting into this, I would like to know exactly what is weak about wanting a TN penalty when your focus is divided, let's say in the midst of combat?

Below is a situation where you get to use your 6 levitation spells sustained by foci, answer the question at the end:

You are a mage sustaining an invisibility spell on yourself on a hillside. Five hundred meters away is a sub station for the power company, it is a central hub for hundreds of high voltage power lines coming and going plus huge transformers all around the interior area of a fenced in compound. Terrorists are inside the building threatening to blow it up and put the whole city out of power for days if not weeks while repairs can be made. The perimeter is mined and patrolled by paras. A team of 6 mercenaries have hired you to levitate them over the fence. The job will bring you huge profit, rep, karma, and a one time favor from the mayor. As you carefully maneuver your team over high voltage lines and thru a maze of power transformers from out of nowhere a troll pops up with polearm. From 500 meters you can barely see them with the naked eye, but the spell is line of sight so you are legal according to canon. Who knows how you can handle 6 men at once, but they all need to land simultaneously for the signal to attack. You know that one small miscalculation on their flight path will possibly bring them into contact with a power line carrying mega volts of electricity. Tell me what TN would you give to your unarmed combat skill roll vs the troll. And please explain why and if it would be any different to maneuver just 2 or 3 from a closer distance.

I don't think I have a straw man argument just because you can't explain it away with rules. The rules are broken. According to the way you and others have been suggesting, there should be no penalty at all for you to engage the troll while maneuvering any number of levitation spells. You don't just think of a destination and the spell teleports your object there on auto pilot. You must continuously "push" your object in a direction, the split second you stop concentrating on that what happens? I say the spell drops just like the description, IF it is allowed at all. It makes far more sense though to just to say it is not possible to sustain a spell that requires further concentration after it is powered by a focus. That is not a straw man argument. It is well thought out and based on common sense. To say otherwise is insulting, and I take it as so. (Not just because it disagrees with me, but because it is debasing to belittle anyone's efforts)

Critias, I go to many conventions if you would like to change my diapers for me, smart mouth. Pretty cowardly to throw insults from your mommy's computer, huh?

(See? It's easy to be rude over the internet -- you didn't pioneer it, just because you started it on this thread.)

You, however started it with me, didn't you, son? Take responsibility for your own actions. I treat others the way they treat me. I am very polite until crossed. You learn that skill if you want to remain living in this world places I have spent a great deal of time.

Mintcar, thanks for your level headed words. As GM I would not allow spells that require further concentration to work until I see something from the game designers clarifying this matter. The abuse potential is too high. If spells requiring further concentration ARE allowed to be sustained by foci, I would make the spell EFFECT drop when concentration ended and I would charge a +2 TN to any skill test rolled while the caster's concentration was divided on controlling the effects of the spell. This sounds very reasonable to me and will prevent munchkinism.

I havenīt been a big part of this discussion, so I view myself as an outside observer of sorts. And I can tell you feel cornered and missunderstood. God knows I know itīs easy to get into that situation. Even if you start to lighten up in that situation, itīs hard to get others to stop attacking everything you say. Never the less, it seems to me that youīre mostly the one to blame for the way this thread has turned out. It was probably not your intention, but anyway you need to lighten up.

Good advice. I do have my pride as anyone else does. But I will be happy to be a civil as anyone will be with me.

As to the 6 man ballet. I ask this:

Can you picture 6 people, floating through the air how the ballet should look?

Yes? Its not that hard to picture them up there, doing their twirls and not right? Thats how hard it is for the mage to tell the spell what to do. Thats why its trivial.

I disagree. If you have read this entire post I gave an example above of being able to control 6 mouse pointers on your computer screen. If you had 6 different mazes that normally take 3 seconds to complete do you think you could cross your arms and complete 6 of them just using your mind? My point is you have to look and focus your vision on where each one is going separately. The spell, if even allowed to work this way, would power the ability to move the mouse pointer with your mind, but you would still have to make each mouse pointer actually move up and down, right and left. Add the difficulty of an unknown maze pattern and you can see that the task is in no way "trivial" as you claim. You must "push" each object levitated as I have already said. There is no auto pilot and according to the description of the spell it would drop if you lost concentration....so what happens when you lose concentration on a foci sustained spell? I say the object would fall to the earth without your concentration on it, and if this total concentration is a distraction, which it is realistically, then it would incur a TN penalty.

Now, what if he was sustaining all the spells? Complete with +12TN modifier and all. He still can make them do a ballet, and study calculus, sustaining that many spells is straining, but he can still ballet them till the cows come home.

This seems to be a major differing view. I haven't read where it is the "powering" of the spell that causes the +2 TN. As far as I can see it is the "concentration" on the varying spell effects that cause the +2. So spells that do not require concentration to VARY the spell effects like armor and invisibility would not get a penalty if they were sustained in a mindless foci. Does this make sense?

Not convincing me doesn't make yours sound either. Nor does majority make it so either.

How is my reasoning flawed? Is there ANYTHING in canon to suggest that a spell giving the caster telekinetic control over something and moving it 'up' is different from a spell giving the caster telekinetic control over something and moving it 'left'? I haven't seen anything, in the multiple readings of the spell and descriptions of magic.

You are varying the spell effects. That requires concentration and for you to "keep your eye on the ball" so to speak. If you read the spell it says once you stop concentrating on the spell it drops. QUOTE UNDER SUSTAINING SPELLS: "When concentration is lost, the spell's effects disappear" The spell may be sustained by a focus, but it's effects disappear once you stop concentrating on it. If this includes armor spells, so be it.

QUOTE UNDER SUSTAINING FOCI: A sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster" This is the part that must be changed to clarify this problem. You can't maneuver 2 items let alone 6 objects without "attention or concentration", therefore the spell should either not be allowed to be sustained as I wish, or a TN must apply to represent the "attention and concentration".

And a force 6 foci can have 6 force 1 levitate spells in it. I am not a rules lawyer and do not know how many foci a mage can have to be addicted, but if it is 1 focus per point of sorcery that would be 36 force 1 levitate spells. Just enough to get my assault team off the ground and moving over the perimeter wire....goes off to play Flight of the Valkyrie and plan next move.

Beyond that.. Of course the spell is set. The spell is set the INSTANT it's cast. You can't change the force, you can't change the target, you can't change the spell. By your interpretation of the rules, even without a sustaining focus, you can't change the direction the person is going in, because BY CANON, spells cannot be changed once cast.

Sorry I am not as eloquent with wording. I don't mean to change the force level. I mean the varying effects. Just like it says under sustaining a spell. EFFECTS. My very simple contention is if they VARY the spell can't be sustained in a focus, or at best, the spell effects would end if "concentration and attention" ended and it would create a +2 TN modifier just as if the spell was being sustained without a focus. in other words, why bother placing it in a focus if you are going to get the same +2 TN, except that you don't have to pay drain over and over to levitate?

Likewise, your comments about 'placing spells into the focus' are, to put it bluntly, nonsensical. You cast a spell through the focus. You don't cast the spell, then put it in the focus. It's ALWAYS in the focus.

That is word semantics. When you cast the spell the foci automatically sustains it. It is an exclusive action and the foci is tied directly to the spell or vice versa however it is said. You can't power a rocket ship without being connected. You can't power a toaster without being plugged in. Mana has a form, ie..mana storms, to tap it you need to be able to make the connection. Whether you call that attaching a foci to the spell or placing the spell in the foci it doesn't matter does it? I don't get so picky on trivial stuff. The heart of the debate is the TN modifiers and the ability to use levitate type spells, that require further attention, in sustaining foci.

Good for you, you've proven that it's a sustained spell. Now please address the actual issue -- that using the spell is in no way related to sustaining it, and that the spell is NOT the telekinetic motion of the object, but rather, granting the caster the ability to manipulate THAT object telekinetically?

I hope I have addressed this. You can't "lock" a spell with a sustaining focus that requires further attention and concentration to use. Simple as that.

I repeat, the levitate spell is NOT the manipulation of the object, but the ability of the caster to manipulate that object.

This is an excellent point. If I was saying anything counter to this, then I stand corrected. It is the ability to manipulate the "target" and only the target of that particular spell. To manipulate a second target would require an additional spell. My argument is that the process of manipulating the spell requires "attention and concentration" in the case of levitation. This puts it at odds with the whole concept of using a sustaining focus in the first place, which of course, is to free the mage from attention and concentration.

Munchkinism comments: The Canon-based view is fundamentally opposed to yours, and you have insisted that the canon-based view is munchkin. That's your position. Your alternatives are unsupported by canon, and beyond that, I personally find to be logically spacious and irreconciable with my view on how magic in shadowrun works.

The canon based view is not opposed to mine. Other than levitate type spells that require further attention and concentration I believe the sustaining focus works fine. The ruling is up to each GM. That the majority chose to run it your way does not make it sensical. I personally find it to be logically specious and irreconcilable with my view on how the human brain, coordination, concentration, and eyesight works that you feel you can manipulate objects with no attention or concentration even with magic considering the parameters are "line of Sight" meaning the spell effects have to be viewed to use, which would indicate some sort of penalty to other actions.

The act of lifting someone is easy, as the sustaining focus is doing all the hard work for you; using it to do something complex is not. I believe this was covered before as well.

The act of lifting something with mana is easy as well. The TN as far as I can tell is because of the attention it takes maintaining and varying the "effects" of a spell, not because of the mana used. I need a quote if not.

Essentially I'm agreeing with you. The point I was trying to make is that using telekinetic control to move the people around in said aerial ballet does not impose its own TN modifier. The task itself may be hard, but the individual movements are fairly easy. Just like typing 120 wpm is hard, but moving your fingers is easy.

That can't be true if you actually think about it. The spell will not assist you at all. It only allows your mind to move those objects meter by meter. Without total concentration the object will not move at all. It doesn't matter where the mana to generate this ability comes from. The TN is from the effort of making an object go a certain direction and speed.

I think there's an easy analogy to make with the ariel ballet thing.

When a choreographer creates a dance, it's not the choreographer who does the dancing... the dancers do it. It's still the choreographer's dance, and what he wants is what happens... the dancers don't do any thinking, they just follow directions.

I disagree. A coreographer watching his dancers move can pick his nose, get up and go to the bathroom, or fall asleep at the boring show and the show will go on. The foci does not have any input what so ever. Once total concentration is lost what would happen to an object a mage is levitating? The foci has no brain, it can't continue a spell on it's own, it does not know where the caster wanted the object to go. According to the description of sustaining a spell the effects end when the caster no longer gives attention to a spell. Can you address this as it relates to a levitate spell? This is a small part of what I am asking.
Rory Blackhand
TheWinningLoser, actually I am glad you pointed this little bit of munchkin loop hole out. The serious discussion may have been over before I entered the fray, but I pointed out where the books are wrong with common sense and certain egos don't like being challenged. It turned into a sore loser thread, sorry for my part of it, but I don't take well to insults.

As GM I would chose one of two courses below.

First, I would not allow spells to be sustained that required any amount of concentration or attention to change once the spell was sustained. Simply put, the focus in question was not designed for that use.

Second, if I allowed you to sustain a levitate at all you would be required to focus your concentration on varying the effects becasue it is a line of sight spell requiring you to see where you are going and requiring you to concentrate on this. Once you stop concentrating on the spell you would fall like a rock, but it would still be there if you regained conciousness before you hit the ground. Further you would receive a +2 TN to all other skill tests just as if you were sustaining the spell without the focus. The benefit to this being you would not have to pay drain to get underway once again.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
And a force 6 foci can have 6 force 1 levitate spells in it. I am not a rules lawyer and do not know how many foci a mage can have to be addicted, but if it is 1 focus per point of sorcery that would be 36 force 1 levitate spells.

I'm not at all sure where you get this idea. A Sustaining Focus can only hold one specific, pre-determined spell of a Force equivalent to the Force rating of the Focus. Nothing in canon backs up this theory that a Force 6 Sustaining Focus can hold 6 Force 1 spells.

Outside of this one thing, the rest of your post basically deals with your own ideas and house rules in regard to levitiation type spells and their relationship to Sustaining Foci. That is fine as far as I am concerned, as long as you admit that they are your house rules. This you have pretty much done numerous times, in saying that you don't actually care what canon states on the matter.

As an aside, Focus Addiction can occur whenever the combined Force of all Foci (of any type) in use at one time exceeds twice the mage's Magic rating.
Rory Blackhand
'm not at all sure where you get this idea. A Sustaining Focus can only hold one specific, pre-determined spell of a Force equivalent to the Force rating of the Focus. Nothing in canon backs up this theory that a Force 6 Sustaining Focus can hold 6 Force 1 spells.

Outside of this one thing, the rest of your post basically deals with your own ideas and house rules in regard to levitiation type spells and their relationship to Sustaining Foci. That is fine as far as I am concerned, as long as you admit that they are your house rules. This you have pretty much done numerous times, in saying that you don't actually care what canon states on the matter.

As an aside, Focus Addiction can occur whenever the combined Force of all Foci (of any type) in use at one time exceeds twice the mage's Magic rating.

Well thanks for clearing it up for me about addiction. That means I could reasonabley have 11 levitation spells sustained in Force 1 foci.

As to my confusion on the number of spells per foci; Page 190 main rule book says "A sustaining focus can only sustain SPELLS with a Force equal to or less than it's own Force"

It said "SPELLS", meaning multiple spells as far as I could see. If it was meant to hold just one spell it might have said "A SPELL" in place of "spells". This leads me to believe multiple spells can be held in a foci, but each must be set.

As to house rules. The solution I set forth is nothing but a house rule, but it makes more sense than leaving it vague. It is still questionable how you can levitate without "concentration and attention" Do you not agree considering it is a LOS spell, meaining you will be giving it attention and concentration to use the effects? This is directly at odds of the purpose of a sustaining focus.

Sharaloth
Okay, first of all:
(Calm down Sharaloth.)

Wha . . um ... huh? Okay? I guess. I'll try to, um, not fly off the handle anymore? If that's at all possible? I think I'm gonna need some clarification here, do you not want me to be angry at you? Or at something else? I'm trying to understand why you would think I'm anything but calm, and in what regards you want me to be less emotional... I'm fairly certain I've been nothing but calm and rational the entire thread through... actually, never mind. I wonder why you would think this, but not enough to really delve into it. I've got more annoying fish to fry.

Now, strange, inexplicable personal references aside, let's get to Rory.

Ok, I am going to ignore Sharaloth because she is not worth wasting time on and makes zero sense. I have to work long hours and do not get a chance to return here every day to respond to childish drivel.

I'm glad you find my posts so well done as to defeat any attempt you might make to attack them. 'Cause that's all your saying here. Anyone who has read my posts knows that I'm making perfect sense (with a sarcastic tone, sure, but that doesn't lessen the truth and logic of them), and if anybody here's being childish, it's you, boyo. Don't take my good will as an indication of weakness, I've been being nice because you're obviously nowhere near a level that attacking you would be in any way challenging to me (or even most people on this board). Learn some rules of logical argument, learn the conventions of conversation, and learn how to present your ideas without making personal attacks or sounding like an ass. Then come back and try again, you might garner a little more in the way of respect.

Rory, you are not getting it. You haven't gotten it for pages, and our every attempt to explain it to you and point you in the right direction have failed. I'm going to make one last try.

Your 6 (used to be 12, but I guess you decided a smaller strawman would make it more beleivable) levitate ballet example is irrelevant (That is: not pertaining to or outside the bounds of) to the argument. If you think there should be target modifiers for sustaining spells in sustaining foci, make another thread, ask it there. This thread's main question from WAY back was about whether you could control a spell once it's in a sustaining focus (in this case 'control' refers to manipulating the effects or abilities granted by the spell, and not actually altering the spell itself). There are camps on both sides of the issue, and ideas were tossed back and forth. What you did, was take one side, and then set up a straw man (the 12 or 6 man ballet) and attack that. You're making a contention (that manipulating a sustained levitate should STILL have some TN penalties just because ... well, because you might have to think a little about it) that is not part of the argument at hand, completely out of the bounds of it, in fact. That is a STRAW MAN argument, a logical fallacy, something that makes you other than right. It is NOT new, not closed to the computer-using generations, but something that has been around for thousands of years. Several logical fallacies were catalogued by Aristotle himself (you DO know who Aristotle was, right?), and the Straw Man is a subfallacy of one of those.

As to whether or not you can manipulate a levitate spell in a sustaining focus, well Eyeless came up with what I think of as the best answer pages ago. I'm sure the original proponents for the 'not' side would disagree, but you are not helping their case. Rory, you are being a vicious little brat who refuses to see the illogic in his own position, and gets offended when we call your straw man argument exactly what it is. You have been making a series of logical fallacies throughout your posting history in this thread, but that is one of the few we have deemed important enough to call you on.

Critias was just flinging the same garbage you were back in your face, hopefully giving you the shock necessary to allow you to figure out what you've been doing. Apparantly, all it did was make you withdraw furthar into your own imagined construct of how this thread is going. Here's what others have been saying restated in a simpler form: Stop being a child. Act your claimed age, and not what you try to insult others with.

If you choose to ignore this, fine. Your perogative, and not my problem. But let no one say that I didn't try.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
Well thanks for clearing it up for me about addiction. That means I could reasonabley have 11 levitation spells sustained in Force 1 foci.

Well, conceivably yes, but you are also limited to a total number of active Foci equal to your Intelligence (SR3 pg 190).

As to my confusion on the number of spells per foci; Page 190 main rule book says "A sustaining focus can only sustain SPELLS with a Force equal to or less than it's own Force"

It said "SPELLS", meaning multiple spells as far as I could see. If it was meant to hold just one spell it might have said "A SPELL" in place of "spells". This leads me to believe multiple spells can be held in a foci, but each must be set.

Well, it technically states ...

As Sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster. A Sustaining focus can only sustain spells with a Force equal to, or less than its own Force. The owner specifies the spell that the focus will sustain when it is bonded. It will only sustain that specific spell. The choice of spell sustained can be changed by rebonding the focus.

In reality though, it's a moot point, as it goes on to state that the Focus must be in physical contact with the target of the spell, and 6 seperate Levitation spells (or spells of any one type) in a single Focus would still not be of any benefit to more than one person.

As to the rest of your post, I am not going to comment further on whether I think it is reasonable or not. I have given my opinion on the matter already in this thread, and nothing that has been said so far has changed my mind. Nothing is to be gained by my arguing the about Levitation/Sustaining Focus matter any further. Suffice to say that as a GM you are, of course, free to use whatever house rules you deem fit in your games.
Rory Blackhand
(Calm down Sharaloth.)

Calm down, girl.

You posted 6 or 7 paragraphs and said nothing. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dawnshadow

This seems to be a major differing view. I haven't read where it is the "powering" of the spell that causes the +2 TN. As far as I can see it is the "concentration" on the varying spell effects that cause the +2. So spells that do not require concentration to VARY the spell effects like armor and invisibility would not get a penalty if they were sustained in a mindless foci. Does this make sense?

Actually, considering the examples of barrier spells and armour spells, and that there is only one modifier for sustaining spells, then you can either have the modifier as for powering spells or utilizing abilities they give. Since the armour/barrier spell applies even if you're shot in the back, it can't be for utilizing the spell, so the modifier must be for casting and sustaining the spell. Since the levitate spell does not have an additional modifier, based on using the spell, then, we must conclude that there is no additional modifier.

In short, because the modifiers are the same, your concentration to vary the effects of spells does not make sense.

Not convincing me doesn't make yours sound either. Nor does majority make it so either.

You're absolutely correct. But the fact that I've laid out logical arguments in valid form does. I even wrote out the explanation as a proof for one of them.

You are varying the spell effects. That requires concentration and for you to "keep your eye on the ball" so to speak. If you read the spell it says once you stop concentrating on the spell it drops. QUOTE UNDER SUSTAINING SPELLS: "When concentration is lost, the spell's effects disappear" The spell may be sustained by a focus, but it's effects disappear once you stop concentrating on it. If this includes armor spells, so be it.

QUOTE UNDER SUSTAINING FOCI: A sustaining focus is used to "lock" a sustained spell, maintaining it without attention or concentration on the part of the caster" This is the part that must be changed to clarify this problem. You can't maneuver 2 items let alone 6 objects without "attention or concentration", therefore the spell should either not be allowed to be sustained as I wish, or a TN must apply to represent the "attention and concentration".

The spell effects of levitate are: the caster can manipulate the subject of the spell.

They aren't being varied, they're being used. To make using the spell impose an additional TN is like making getting shot while under an armour spell impose a +2 TN.

You don't seem to have a problem with it, so, house rule it. Most people seem to think that the current system works fine, so, that's the way the system should be. Majority SHOULD rule in this, because it's meant to be fun for everyone.

As a note: Nobody's said that if you ignore the subject, it keeps going (at least after someone dug up the details on the spell) -- that was your idea as I recall, for when it was put into the focus. Most of us just ignore it, I presume assuming it just hovers there like a bump on a log.

As for the quote under sustaining foci:
I disagree, because I place the emphasis on the word 'maintaining' it. It says nothing about utilizing the spell. It is the subject of the clause, which is modified by the 'without attention or concentration on the part of the caster', which, as far as I can tell, indicates that the spell remains until the focus is deactivated, leaving the caster able to concentrate freely on the utilization of the spell. What appears to be the source of the disagreement is that you believe that utilizing the spell is one massive complicated task that involves sustaining it -- whereas, as has been shown with examples, it is two -- the complicated task of sustaining the spell (+2 TN unless a focus is used) and the trivial task of utilizing the spell

Sorry I am not as eloquent with wording. I don't mean to change the force level. I mean the varying effects. Just like it says under sustaining a spell. EFFECTS. My very simple contention is if they VARY the spell can't be sustained in a focus, or at best, the spell effects would end if "concentration and attention" ended and it would create a +2 TN modifier just as if the spell was being sustained without a focus. in other words, why bother placing it in a focus if you are going to get the same +2 TN, except that you don't have to pay drain over and over to levitate?

As above, the spell effects are: The caster can manipulate the subject of the spell telekinetically.

They aren't being varied. They are simply being used. That's part of why there is such strong opposition to your position.

The other part of why is because nobody can comprehend why you would decide that for levitate alone, there is a +2 TN for utilising the spell, but nothing for the parts of the spellcasting which are identical to other spells such as armour or barrier. Don't you agree that if the +2 TN is based on utilising the spell, then that something is fundamentally inconsistent with: armour, barrier, analyze device, analyze truth, mindlink, mind probe, decrease/increase attribute/reaction/reflexes, hibernate, oxygenate, prophylaxis.. you get the idea of the list.

Likewise, +2 for utilizing the spell would apply to anyone using the spell.. not just the caster. So, the person who just had +4 quickness from an increase attribute spell, just got +2 TNs to everything -- which doesn't make sense.

I'm ignoring the semantics one, because it is just semantics. I included it because it was bugging me, that's all.

I hope I have addressed this. You can't "lock" a spell with a sustaining focus that requires further attention and concentration to use. Simple as that.

Third time: There is no part of the spell which is being varied. The spell is being used. The effect is not being changed.

An analogy: You turn your car on. You start driving. You have your foot on the gas to keep moving. You can "lock" the motion of the car by turning on cruise control. You still have to drive -- but you've locked the sustaining of motion -- which is what turning on the car allows for: You to move from point A to point B.

This is an excellent point. If I was saying anything counter to this, then I stand corrected. It is the ability to manipulate the "target" and only the target of that particular spell. To manipulate a second target would require an additional spell. My argument is that the process of manipulating the spell requires "attention and concentration" in the case of levitation. This puts it at odds with the whole concept of using a sustaining focus in the first place, which of course, is to free the mage from attention and concentration.

Your entire argument reads as a violation of that point, because your entire argument is based upon the +2 TN for sustaining and using a levitate spell is based on the difficulty of manipulating the spell. If you want to make it an action with a roll to manipulate the spell, that's logical. If you want to apply a penalty to doing something else while manipulating the spell, but not have a roll, that's fine. But, recognize that it has NOTHING to do with the sustaining focus, and is IN ADDITION TO the +2 TN for sustaining a spell. Also recognize that doing so when the caster is doing nothing else would be.. well... silly, because the task, at least as far as a single object is concerned, is quite trivial?

On the note of your situation:

I'm impressed. Fairly well thought out situation. If the mage wants to ignore the troll with the polaxe, no different then before, and troll gets a free hit (and team falls).. Mage wants to fight back and not concentrate on the drop? No difference, team waits there in midair. Mage wants to do both? +vision mods on the team, in addition to all the combat ones is how I'd rule it. Painful. But, reasonable, considering the situation. That being said -- That is a highly unusual situation, and should be dealt with as the EXCEPTION, rather than the rule -- and using it as a basis for the rule is, well, poor, from a logical standpoint. Rather like saying that because people can die in car accidents, the speed limits everywhere should be low enough that fatalities can't happen.
Rory Blackhand
Fortune, I could have an 11 intelligence pretty easy if you allow pushing beyond racial max at double cost, and some bioware or an attribute spell. So 11 Force 1 foci is not out of reason, nor is 12 if I were a a couple of grades initiate.

Actually it is not a moot point if I wanted to cast other force 1 spells in a Force 6 focus.

It is a shame you refuse to address the glitch I pointed out in the rules though. Sustaining foci were designed to remove concentration from the spell. The levitate spell by nature requires concentration and for your eyes to be on the target at all times. The minute you look away your spell should end going by canon. it makes no sense you being able to levitate with no concentration or attention at all, and nobody pointed this out, or the line of sight issue.

Nobody is even willing to take me on with my multiple spell scenario. I guess I am right by virtue of non argument.

Nobody has agreed on what happens to the spell when you stop manipulating it either. Suddenly for instance.

If you have nothing further to say I'm not sure wy you keep posting? If you are going to keep posting I could use your help in figuring this out.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
Fortune, I could have an 11 intelligence pretty easy if you allow pushing beyond racial max at double cost, and some bioware or an attribute spell. So 11 Force 1 foci is not out of reason, nor is 12 if I were a a couple of grades initiate.

Oh yes, definitely, which is why I said 'conceivably'. You wouldn't even have to add house rules to do so. The Exceptional Attribute Edge will allow a human to have an Attribute Maximum of 11. You could also use an Increase Attribute spell to pump up an Attribute, as you say. Bioware though, at least according to canon, cannot raise an Attribute above the calculated Attribute Maximum for that character. I'm not quite sure how you figure Initiation can help in raising your (non-Magic) Attributes though.

Actually it is not a moot point if I wanted to cast other force 1 spells in a Force 6 focus.

I'm not sure I follow. Even if you could put more than one spell into a single Sustaining Focus, they'd still all have to be the same spell. You couldn't put Levitate, Armor, Camouflage, Oxygenate, Increase Reflexes, and Invisibility all into the same Focus at the same time.

It is a shame you refuse to address the glitch I pointed out in the rules though.

That's because I don't consider it to be a glitch, nor do I see it as a problem at all.

If you have nothing further to say I'm not sure wy you keep posting? If you are going to keep posting I could use your help in figuring this out.

I believe I have added to the conversation, and addressed other aspects of your post(s) not related to the actual subject that you and I disagree on. I also think that I have done so in a civil manner. I don't think I am under any obligation to refrain from posting my opinion, and my view of canon (or even house rules for that matter). I just don't see any reason to keep repeating the same argument over and over.
toturi
Yes, from a strict reading of Canon, 1 Sustaining Focus may sustain multiple spells of the same name.

Sustaining foci is designed to remove the penality from the concentration needed to sustain the spell. You suffer the penalty not concentrating on using the spell, but from the concentration needed to sustain the spell. Being able to levitate without the penalty from sustaining is canon. You do not need to expend any further effort to levitate unless your action requires a skill use.

Yes, LOS is usually required for sustaining, but with a sustaining focus, all is needed is for the focus to touch the subject.

What multiple spell scenario? Can you be more specific? If you do not, I assume that you are wrong by non argument.
Rory Blackhand
In short, because the modifiers are the same, your concentration to vary the effects of spells does not make sense.

Ahhh, only if you acept canon as being complete, which obviously I do not. Canon is not the Holy Bible, it contains many errors, they get corrected on occasion, I think? That is what I am here to share my views for. An argument could be made just as easily to say that an armor spell needs focus to wrap the mana around you as walk around and change positions. I am not convinced that the powering of the spell is the TN modifier. If you can quote somewhere that it is I will accept it.

You're absolutely correct. But the fact that I've laid out logical arguments in valid form does. I even wrote out the explanation as a proof for one of them.

So have I. I'm not as eloquent as you, but the fact more people follow your idea does not make it any more valid than mine. The two GMs I know in real life both agreed with my conclusion right away. As a player I would love to have my cake and munchkin it too, but common sense tells me that you just can't move an object around without concentrating on it, which incurs a TN, which in turn defeats the purpose of sustaining foci, hence my conclusion to ban spells from those foci that require attention ti utilize the effects of.

The spell effects of levitate are: the caster can manipulate the subject of the spell.

Ok, answer this simple question now. How can you manipulate the levitation spell without any concentration? That is what a foci eliminates, concentrating on a spell. When sustaining a spell the spell ends when concentration is lost. It doesn't matter if it is sustained by you or the foci. You seem to place more value and power on the foci, I plac more value on the concentration of the spell. You can't levitate without concentration, the spell should not be allowed to be sustained by a dog brain foci.

They aren't being varied, they're being used. To make using the spell impose an additional TN is like making getting shot while under an armour spell impose a +2 TN.

Not true. You say you are using something, correct? Everything else in SR you do gives a penalty. You can't type keys on a computer and shoot your pistol without a penalty. Getting an extra +2 for using levitate effects is not like getting shot with an armor spell. It is like shooting your pistol while trying to step over broken terrain, you can either fall or you can snap a shot off, you can't do both to the best of your ability because they both require you to look and concentrate on what you are doing, so you get a penalty for dividing your time.

As a note: Nobody's said that if you ignore the subject, it keeps going (at least after someone dug up the details on the spell) -- that was your idea as I recall, for when it was put into the focus. Most of us just ignore it, I presume assuming it just hovers there like a bump on a log.

I'll admit I jumped into this conversation without reading the rules at all. I did make assumptions. I did think it thru and used common sense though. I no longer think the subject would keep going. I do not believe it would hover either. I think once you lose concentration on the subject the spell would not be functioning, this means you can't take your eye off the subject ever or risk a crash, in my situation with the high voltage wires that could be critical.

I disagree, because I place the emphasis on the word 'maintaining' it. It says nothing about utilizing the spell. It is the subject of the clause, which is modified by the 'without attention or concentration on the part of the caster', which, as far as I can tell, indicates that the spell remains until the focus is deactivated, leaving the caster able to concentrate freely on the utilization of the spell.

Reread your post. You realize you are contradicting yourself? You say you focus on the "maintaining" of a spell. This is nothing but powering it with mana as far as I can see. How do you maintain a levitate? A levitate needs concentration and utilizing. You see it is not a spell that should be possible to maintain, because you can't meet the requirnments of "without attention or concentration". And the last sentence, how do you "concentrate" freely on something? Either you are watching the team mate you are levitating over the wire or you are watching the football game on the trideo, don't you see? It can't be done with levitate the way you want it to. Not and to make sense.

What appears to be the source of the disagreement is that you believe that utilizing the spell is one massive complicated task that involves sustaining it -- whereas, as has been shown with examples, it is two -- the complicated task of sustaining the spell (+2 TN unless a focus is used) and the trivial task of utilizing the spell

Not massive, not any worse than firing at another target standing directly in line with the first one you kiled this round with your pistol. Just a +2. As I have already made clear. You can't say it is trivial in any stretch of the imagination to divide your computer screen into 6 pieces, place 6 mazes on each section, and control a mouse pointer thru all 6 mazes at the same time. And watch tv at the same time? Please be realistic, even though it is a game we all want t to make sense.

They aren't being varied. They are simply being used. That's part of why there is such strong opposition to your position.

No they are not. I am saying they are used. And when using an item or a skill your attention is divided enough to merit a +2 modifier to second or third simultaneous actions. Just like pushing a ball around with your mind would require.

The other part of why is because nobody can comprehend why you would decide that for levitate alone, there is a +2 TN for utilising the spell

Can you show me in canon where it says you are correct? I have given a simple answer above. It takes concentration to wrap armor around you, to push the mana out ahead of you looking for life, to control thoughts, etc... it doesn't matter. You say it is for powering mana I say it is for concentrating on the spell effects. Show me you are correct by canon and we will discuss it further.

Likewise, +2 for utilizing the spell would apply to anyone using the spell.. not just the caster. So, the person who just had +4 quickness from an increase attribute spell, just got +2 TNs to everything -- which doesn't make sense.

I never suggested that. You are confusing passive spells like armor and attribute spells that conform to the sustaining focus principle and require no concentration. I am only saying spells that require further attention like control actions, control thoughts, levitate, etc.. should not be allowed to be sustained in a foci.

Third time: There is no part of the spell which is being varied. The spell is being used. The effect is not being changed.

I didn't say it was being varied. My words exacly were that is was being used. You need concetration and attention to "use" it just as I said. This is counter to sustaining foci, which are supposed to get rid of concentration and attention. Read the description. Only passive spells should be allowed in foci, or as I said there has to be a penalty, common sense tells us that. I have pointed this out more than three times.

An analogy: You turn your car on. You start driving. You have your foot on the gas to keep moving. You can "lock" the motion of the car by turning on cruise control. You still have to drive -- but you've locked the sustaining of motion -- which is what turning on the car allows for: You to move from point A to point B.

You like cars, ok, great. You put the spell on cruise control. It still requires some of your attention to steer the car. You can't just go to sleep and have a spell like levitate work, which counter to the whole concept of a sustaining focus. In your example you will take a crash test if you start playing air guitar to your favorite tune on the radio. You need to expend effort, which makes playing air guitar not as effective as if you were not driving at all. Do you see my point? I was being over blown by using 6 or 12 levitating friends to show how absurd it is not to have TN penalties for concentrating on levitation, regardless of how it is powered, foci or you. See my point now?

Your entire argument reads as a violation of that point, because your entire argument is based upon the +2 TN for sustaining and using a levitate spell is based on the difficulty of manipulating the spell.

Ahhh! this is the simplest thing to refute you have said! No, wrong. I do not say the +2 TN is from sustaining the spell. I say it is from concentrating on the use of the spell provided by the foci. It is a division of your full attention if you attempt to do anything else. And to make it clear, in my 12 man ballet, I would require a sorcery test with +24 to the TN to pull it off! Each success would be how masterful the Swan Lake looked to observers. No success could mean anything from you were able to focus your purely ungodlike mind on just one or two of them getting off the ground in a massive show of farce.

I'm impressed. Fairly well thought out situation. If the mage wants to ignore the troll with the polaxe, no different then before, and troll gets a free hit (and team falls).. Mage wants to fight back and not concentrate on the drop? No difference, team waits there in midair. Mage wants to do both? +vision mods on the team, in addition to all the combat ones is how I'd rule it. Painful. But, reasonable, considering the situation. That being said -- That is a highly unusual situation, and should be dealt with as the EXCEPTION, rather than the rule -- and using it as a basis for the rule is, well, poor, from a logical standpoint. Rather like saying that because people can die in car accidents, the speed limits everywhere should be low enough that fatalities can't happen.

Glad you liked my situation. The problem is I have used that over and over. Not with seperate spells, but with a zodiac boat covered in ruthinium polymers to bring a team over a wire. I thought everyone did the same thing? My point is if you are focusing on the "use" of 6 spell abilities in a delicate situation I am giving you a freebie letting you even control that many levitates. But if you need to do anything, even scratch your ass, it is going to be a +12 mod to any skill used. That is a +2 for each spell ability used, which I feel is fair for even allowing you to spell lock a levitation in the first place.
Critias
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Critias was just flinging the same garbage you were back in your face, hopefully giving you the shock necessary to allow you to figure out what you've been doing.

That's sort of what they keep me around for. I think of myself as the guy at the zoo that throws poop back at the monkeys. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This one's a doesn't.
Rory Blackhand
I'm not quite sure how you figure Initiation can help in raising your (non-Magic) Attributes though.

I meant initation would help me be able to have more foci Force levels. Not in being able to sub divide my brain into completing more tasks.

That's because I don't consider it to be a glitch, nor do I see it as a problem at all.

Once again, only if you consider juggling half a dozen friends in the air in different directions with "no concentration or attention" as the sustaining focus description says not to be broken. Sure.

I'm not sure I follow. Even if you could put more than one spell into a single Sustaining Focus, they'd still all have to be the same spell. You couldn't put Levitate, Armor, Camouflage, Oxygenate, Increase Reflexes, and Invisibility all into the same Focus at the same time

That's not what it says. it says you can put "spells" in a focus. Each spell cast can't be changed. I see no limitation that the spell must be copies of just one type. As far as I can understand I can cast and set 6 different Force 1 spells in a Force 6 foci.

I believe I have added to the conversation, and addressed other aspects of your post(s) not related to the actual subject that you and I disagree on. I also think that I have done so in a civil manner. I don't think I am under any obligation to refrain from posting my opinion, and my view of canon (or even house rules for that matter). I just don't see any reason to keep repeating the same argument over and over.

I'm not asking you to stop posting, or even insinuating it. I am asking for help. If you think I am not clear on something I wish you would humor me and help me is all. You post on everything but the subject and it clutters the thread. If you care to comment on these items I'd be thankful.

How is a levitate spell compatible with a sustaining foci in relation to the stated purpose of a sustaining foci in eliminating the need to concentrate or give attention to a spell? You need LOS, so you must need to focus your gaze on a subject to get it to move. Or does the spell change when it is powered by a foci? If so why?

Under sustaining a spell it says the effects end if you do not concentrate on the spell. What happens to an object being levitated in a sustained levitate spell if the caster goes to sleep?

How are you able to direct and use the effects of a levitate without imposing any kind of TN penalty at all to other actions in light of the fact that everything in SR carries a penalty when distracted?

Thanks.

Being able to levitate without the penalty from sustaining is canon. You do not need to expend any further effort to levitate unless your action requires a skill use.

Please help me out of this trap. It does not require effort to "use" the effects of a levitate? If there is no effort how does the effect get "used"? isn't there some effort to guiding a levitated ball around in the air? It might not be written down in black and white, but shouldn't it be? This is not a passive spell. This is a spell that requires some effort to use it's effects. Something has to give the subject a direction, speed, and elevation, right? It isn't the focus. In my opinion, and for the arguments mentioned I feel canon is broken and needs to be fixed if it says there is no effort to levitate.

Yes, LOS is usually required for sustaining, but with a sustaining focus, all is needed is for the focus to touch the subject.

Which further makes it astoundly absurd to allow levitation to be used as a foci sustained spell. Unless we are prepared to say the caster can levitate the subject even if the subject is in another city or out of LOS like all the other passive spells are fine being used as such. I had not explored this angle further, but it definitly gives more weight to the argument to ban non passive spells that require further concentration and attention to "use".

Does anyone at all see the point I am making? Whether you want it to be that way or not does anyone even see logic behind it?

What multiple spell scenario? Can you be more specific? If you do not, I assume that you are wrong by non argument.

I made that quip to mock someone else that said it to me. If nobody argues with me I must be right? Ok, whatever. I meant when using 12 locked levitate spells. Do you think there is no effort in using 12 spells? Do you think the human mind is capable of directing 12 objects in 3d at varying speeds? And potentialy out of line of sight? Am I crazy for asking for a TN for using a skill while trying to maintain this herculean task of mental prwess?
Rory Blackhand
That's sort of what they keep me around for. I think of myself as the guy at the zoo that throws poop back at the monkeys. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This one's a doesn't.

Thanks for helping out with the debate here, girl. Love ya.

Can you answer any of my questions? Or are you just here trolling for friends?
toturi
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand @ Mar 17 2005, 02:01 PM)
Your entire argument reads as a violation of that point, because your entire argument is based upon the +2 TN for sustaining and using a levitate spell is based on the difficulty of manipulating the spell.

Ahhh! this is the simplest thing to refute you have said! No, wrong. I do not say the +2 TN is from sustaining the spell. I say it is from concentrating on the use of the spell provided by the foci. It is a division of your full attention if you attempt to do anything else. And to make it clear, in my 12 man ballet, I would require a sorcery test with +24 to the TN to pull it off! Each success would be how masterful the Swan Lake looked to observers. No success could mean anything from you were able to focus your purely ungodlike mind on just one or two of them getting off the ground in a massive show of farce.

What is the difference between an instant spell and a sustained spell? The sustained spell is sustained and sustaining requires concentration. The strain of concentration while sustaining causes the +2 TN penalty. If the TN is from concentration in the usage of a spell, then the penalty should also apply to instant spells, but it does not. Also if concentration is required to make use of a sustained spell, then it would mean that even if a spell sustained by a focus, the caster may not do any Exclusive actions, defeating the purpose of a sustaining focus in the first place.

I am not saying that canon isn't broke. I am just pointing out what canon says. What you wish to do is your business. You could choose to interprete canon to say that the TN +2 modifier is from the concentration on the spell, even if it was sustained by a focus, I can only say that I do not read it as such and no matter how literal and strict I try to squeeze the meaning of the wording in canon, I can't find myself making such a interpretation.
Dawnshadow
I'm restricting myself to the issues which can be debated rationally, without wasting my time by reiterating everything that has already been brought up on your use of fallacious logic. You have proven yourself to be singularly incapable of grasping the basis of the straw man fallacy.

You say that utilising the spell is what imposes the +2 TN, because you are manipulating mana.

That negates the benefit of sustaining foci for ANY spell, because a sustaining foci locks the spell, and as such, your armour spell remains stationary, entirely. You can't move, because that requires adjusting the flows of mana to account for your new position.

Hence, your rebuttal is invalidated, and we revert to powering the spell as the only task which the +2 target number could be derived from.

You have disagreed with this countless times, and each time, it has been an invalid disagreement which breaks down when examined.

Likewise, whether or not you have two GMs is irrelevent to whether or not your logic is flawed. You are hiding behind your assertation that canon is wrong or incomplete or both, rather than simply accept that, ACCORDING TO CANON, you are making an illogical jump. Likewise, you do not seem to accept the basic premise that CANON IS ALWAYS CORRECT IN SHADOWRUN. If you disagree with canon, you make a house rule, which is something at applies in your game, but is not canon, and is irrelevent to canon. Canon is what determines the rules of the world.

Your insistance that sustaining 'active' spells is a trivial task while sustaining passive spells is a complex task simply proves to me that you have no basis for consistency in your arguments. If you are going to insist that concentrating on using a spell is a complex task, then if you want to be consistent with other spells, you must apply an additional modifier to the tests to represent that, because the canon modifier MUST be for maintaining the spell, as indicated above by your inability to create ANY form of valid reasoning for why it is not simply powering the spell, and logic (as opposed to non-logic, fallacious logic, and guessing).

You reject the use of taking the logical conclusions of your arguments against sustaining the levitate spell as simply wrong (the 'getting shot with an armour spell') but you give no valid justification for it, and are taking the point out of context. The CONTEXT is your THEORY that powering a spell is pathetically easy and does not impose any TNs, but using the spell imposes a +2. Getting shot implies damage resistance which is using the spell.

Likewise, I am not overvaluing or undervaluing foci. I am taking foci as is written in canon, taking the spell as written in canon, and taking the modifiers as written in canon. You are undervaluing foci, and overestimating the complexity of tasks, and, as the person who is trying to oppose canon, the burden of proof falls to YOU to justify why a task is harder. Common sense is not a justification, it is an attempt to avoid delivering a justification, typically because you cannot explain one, occassionally because of laziness.

Likewise, I am not contradicting myself. 'Concentrate freely' means simply that. The spell remains until the caster disables the focus. He now has telekinetic abilities over that object as long as the focus remains in contact with it. He can go do anything he wants, come back, and he still has the ability to manipulate it. He can spend a few hours in a harem indulging in hours of behaviour which is not considered polite to mention in society. It doesn't matter, the spell is still there when he comes back. Because there is no TN or test assigned to utilizing the ability, then it is a task like waving or chewing gum or giving someone who will not listen to reason the finger.

And again with the straw man fallacy. GIVE UP ON THE STRAW MEN. They only weaken your position. You CANNOT negate any argument with straw men.

Now, considering the 'cruise control'... NO ONE HAS SAID THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CONCENTRATE TO USE THE ABILITY GRANTED BY ANY SPELL. NO ONE. EVER. You can't get over the fact that according to canon, there is no penalty for it. Tough. That's your problem. House rule it. Quit trying to insist canon is wrong because you can't understand it.

Now.. as for your 'simple' refutation of my last point....
You are being inconsistent and changing your argument. What you said in your "rebuttal" is that you aren't using a +2 TN for using the spell. THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO USE THE ENTIRE TIME, INSTEAD OF +2 FOR SUSTAINING THE SPELL. If you can't keep your arguments consistent, then give up.

Now... consider this. When you're trying to teach a mule, you hit it on the head with a 2x4 first to get it to pay attention to you. If the mule never does, you sell it to the glue factory, because it's useless.

I'm sick of breaking 2x4s.

Note for everyone else: Yes, I've finally reached a point where I need to vent some frustration. I'm normally fairly calm even when in disagreements -- but sometimes, it's just not worth it. I am not a teacher, nor will I ever be a teacher. I do not have the patience of a saint. To those who have listened, I'm sorry if my temper has spoiled my image in your minds.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
That's not what it says. it says you can put "spells" in a focus. Each spell cast can't be changed. I see no limitation that the spell must be copies of just one type. As far as I can understand I can cast and set 6 different Force 1 spells in a Force 6 foci.

Once again I will quote the relevant passage ...

QUOTE (SR3)
The owner specifies the spell that the focus will sustain when it is bonded. It will only sustain that specific spell. The choice of spell sustained can be changed by rebonding the focus.

QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
I'm not asking you to stop posting, or even insinuating it. I am asking for help. If you think I am not clear on something I wish you would humor me and help me is all. You post on everything but the subject and it clutters the thread. If you care to comment on these items I'd be thankful.

I have made my feelings and opinions on your questions known already in this thread. You chose to disregard them as being irrelevant and/or wrong, even if (or even because) they follow canon. I don't feel the need to endlessly repeat myself for no reason. My thoughts have not changed on the matter.
Rory Blackhand
I'm restricting myself to the issues which can be debated rationally, without wasting my time by reiterating everything that has already been brought up on your use of fallacious logic. You have proven yourself to be singularly incapable of grasping the basis of the straw man fallacy.

Maybe if you stop using straw man logic I will be able to see some substance to your endless and idiotic drivel. You are singulrly incapable of thinking outside the neat little box you are sheltering in and refuse to lowe with dignity. Sorry, I won't humor your hot air filled ego on this one.

You say that utilising the spell is what imposes the +2 TN, because you are manipulating mana.

No wonder you are confused, you keep placing words in my mouth, which of course would confuase anyone since they came from you and not me. I never said the TN comes from "manipulating mana" I said the TN comes from using the spell effects. It is obviously over your head to envision levitating objects with your mind, so we are stuck in an endless cycle of you justifying the unjustifiable, omg, just because it is "canon". whoopty doo.

That negates the benefit of sustaining foci for ANY spell, because a sustaining foci locks the spell, and as such, your armour spell remains stationary, entirely. You can't move, because that requires adjusting the flows of mana to account for your new position.

How do you know it doesn't work that way? Do you have a quote from canon? I have asked for a quote anywhere in your precious canon that uses logic to explain the TN for sustaining a spell and all you throw out are home ruled theories. If you can't quote the rules don't assume the rules are on your side. it does not mention the reason why the TN is +2. You ASS-U-me it is because of manipulating mana, I don't. It could be a number of factors all lumped into a +2 TN.

Hence, your rebuttal is invalidated, and we revert to powering the spell as the only task which the +2 target number could be derived from.

Since you misquoted me, your entire drivel here is invalidated. Make sure you understand what a person is saying before you lay into him for being wrong, and be insulting being wrong.

You have disagreed with this countless times, and each time, it has been an invalid disagreement which breaks down when examined.

Each time I point out common sense your logic breaks down. What is your point? Try examining what I am saying as a whole and not nitpick every detail.

Likewise, whether or not you have two GMs is irrelevent to whether or not your logic is flawed.

But it validates that maybe I am better at explaining things face to face, or that I do have a valid point when speaking to someone who has no other motives of assauging an inflated ego.

ACCORDING TO CANON, you are making an illogical jump.

There is nothing illogical in my jump. It is illogical to say you have no penalties to juggling a dozen friends with 12 different levitate spells. In fact it is so foolish this is becoming pointless to argue with flawed minds and what I can only see as giant egos.

Likewise, you do not seem to accept the basic premise that CANON IS ALWAYS CORRECT IN SHADOWRUN.

Sheeeeeep.

Your insistance that sustaining 'active' spells is a trivial task while sustaining passive spells is a complex task simply proves to me that you have no basis for consistency in your arguments.

More ASSumptions. I never said that. That is your lack of reasoning coming up with that. I said all spells have a user penalty unless they are powered by a foci. You have yet to quote me otherwise so you are house ruling it in your favor, which does not mean you are correct, or have anything to do with canon what so ever.

You reject the use of taking the logical conclusions of your arguments against sustaining the levitate spell as simply wrong (the 'getting shot with an armour spell') but you give no valid justification for it

Oh gave justification for it, you just chose to ignore it. Ignorance is bliss in your case.

Concentrate freely

Concentrate freely is a contradiction. it is a straw man argument easily blown away in the wind. Either you have to give attention to use the spell effects or you don't. Your limited visualizations prevent you from grasping the difference between passive and active spells. Lack of independent thinking and creativity seems to be a theme here.

And again with the straw man fallacy. GIVE UP ON THE STRAW MEN. They only weaken your position. You CANNOT negate any argument with straw men.

Great idea, when I set one up I'll let you know. My words are rock solid. Now stop producing straw for us.

NO ONE HAS SAID THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CONCENTRATE TO USE THE ABILITY GRANTED BY ANY SPELL. NO ONE. EVER.

It is the bases of your strawman argument. The entire argument you have is layed on this very foundation. If you are concentrating on the ability it is going to distract you from doing other tasks, hence a TN penalty. You refuse to lose your munchkin loop hole and to continue is pointless without a logical reader to interact with.

If you can't keep your arguments consistent, then give up.

If you can't read my posts correctly make them up. That is a great way for you to win. You are a legend in your own mind.

Now... consider this. When you're trying to teach a mule, you hit it on the head with a 2x4 first to get it to pay attention to you. If the mule never does, you sell it to the glue factory, because it's useless.

Stop making an ASS out of U and me. Heavy on the U. or you will get sold.
Critias
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand @ Mar 17 2005, 01:38 AM)
Can you answer any of my questions? Or are you just here trolling for friends?

You stopped asking actual questions about five pages ago, and you know it. You call people who follow canon sheep, you state outright that you don't care what the rules say, and you're just being a total ass in general for no reason. You're wrong, people have been telling you you're wrong for pages, you're unable to actually say out loud "You're correct, I understand I'm wrong according to the rules," and it's hilarious to everyone but you. Everyone else here is arguing canon and you're arguing assinine opinion. Someone points out an argument of yours is fallacious, and you take it as open season to start a flame war. It's ridiculous. All the actual logical rational arguments that were worth trying to use on you, other people have beat me to. You ignore them, refute them with all the rhetoric and eloquence of "NUH UH," flame whoever it is that said it, or do all of the above.

You're being condescending and wrong at the same time -- which only the worst internet forum-goers are capable of managing.

Why the fuck should I be in a rush to try arguing with you, too? When instead I can amuse myself at your expense, everyone but you can maybe get a chuckle, and you can get back a little of the attitude you're dishing out? You're trolling for trolling's sake, plain and simple. You flash your age (which you can't back up, of course, which is one of the reasons no one gives a crap how old anyone on the internet claims to be) around like it makes you right, you state over and over again you don't care what canon says (when it's all everyone else is talking about), and you just generally seem to be incapable of pulling your head out of your ass long enough to admit that you're making shit up and calling it common sense (instead of debating and clarifying the rule of the game, which was the point of this thread).
Demosthenes
I never said the TN comes from "manipulating mana" I said the TN comes from using the spell effects.

But the +2 tn for sustaining a spell is a penalty you suffer because you are sustaining a spell. Not because you are "using the spell effects".

Create Food creates a lump of Soy-like goo. It's a permanent (P) effect, which must be sustained for a short period of time (divided by extra successes on the Sorcery test).

During that period, you are not "using the spell effects". You are sustaining the spell, waiting for it to become permanent.

Detect Enemies is a sustained spell that allows the subject to detect people who want to hurt her. The subject need not be the caster - indeed, it works better if it isn't. The caster of the spell sustains it. The subject of the spell uses the spell effects.

The +2 TN modifier for Sustaining a spell (in the SR system) is therefore derived from the effort in keeping a magical effect active, not from the distraction involved in "using" the magical effect.

The scenario you suggest, where a magician is trying to move 6 different subjects with 6 separate telekinetic manipulations, all of which are locked by sustaining foci, does not require the magician to have TN penalties for "using the spell effect", which you seem to use synonymously with "sustaining the spell" (this is an observation, not an attack).

SR Canon - that is to say, the Rules of the game, which you think are incomplete - do not say how difficult or trivial it is for the controller of a telekinetic manipulation to use the effect of the manipulation.
The nearest example I can think of for comparison would be Magic Fingers, where successes on the spell become the equivalent of quickness and strength for the caster to use on targets at a distance, iirc.
Using Magic Fingers on a subject you can see is no more difficult than using your own hands (unless there are modifiers mentioned in the spell that I don't recall), so it seems reasonable to assume that using Levitate is no harder than walking or swimming (in terms of mental effort) - which makes it pretty trivial.

Trying to manipulate 6 things at a time is pretty distracting, I grant you, but that has nothing to do with rules for the Levitate spell, or any other spell, or with sustaining spell.

What penalties would you assign to a non-rigger driving at high speed down a city street while talking on a hands-free cellphone and trying to shoot out the window?

[Edit]Or for a better analogy:
What penalty would you assign to a Rigger issuing orders for a series of complex manoeuvres to 6 drones from captain's chair mode? [/edit]

[/End attempt at constructive post]

I never knew Critias was a girl.
Critias
QUOTE (Demosthenes)

You're as surprised as I am. I never knew my girlfriend was a lesbian, but I like it!
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Mar 17 2005, 07:48 AM)

You're as surprised as I am. I never knew my girlfriend was a lesbian, but I like it!

Well, we're all enlightened, nonsexist, and open-minded here, aren't we?

Now all you need to do is dikote your girlfriend and shoot people with her... devil.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
Sheeeeeep.

If you want to discuss house rules or what "should be canon but isn't" then start a new thread for it or at least make it clear that is what you are doing. Otherwise, the rest on this forum will expect you to be talking about the actual rules for Shadowrun and will argue according to those. The general standard here is that unless otherwise specified, any discussion of rules is about the current books, their contents, and ways to interpret them.
Tarantula
The heart of the arguement.

QUOTE (Rory Blackhand)
I feel canon is broken and needs to be fixed if it says there is no effort to levitate.

Now, thats your opinion, which is fine, but you are no longer discussing the rules as written and are instead discussing a house rule. Make it clear you are not trying to contradict canon, but feel it is broken and that you are house ruling (read: changing canon) to fix it. This will stop 99% of the arguements against you.

Now, furthermore, you have failed to grasp the concept of a straw man fallacy. You then proceed to throw it around, wanting to appear more intelligent than you are, while using it incorrectly. Strawman is a name for it. Just like Pepsi is the name of a type of soda. It doesn't mean your arguement has the consistancy of straw, nor does it mean its a man, or any combonation of the two. It says you've focused on a point that is not relevant to the discussion, in order to make your belief appear stronger, when the point focused on is not relevant.

You also fail to understand what sustaining a spell is. You get +2 for sustaining a spell. Period. That is what the penalty is for, and that is why it exists. As long as the spell is a sustained spell, and you are sustaining the spell, you get +2 to what you do. Now, if the sustaining focus is being used, it removed the +2 modifier for sustaing a spell. Period. It has its own rules to be used (bonded, touching subject, etc) but what its purpose is is to sustain the spell in place of the magician. This removes the +2 tn.

I asked you, if I have my 6 man ballet, or whatever other example you're using, and I'm sustaining all 6 spells. +12 TN modifier. Why is it completely possible and ok for me to do that (via your arguement), and make the ballet? Because theres a TN modifier? Would you force a success check to make them ballet? What would the base TN be? +12 after than because of sustaining the spells.

Example: You would set the base TN at 8. Ballets are fairly tricky, but not too hard. Now, the magician is sustaining 6 spells, so its +12. His TN is 20 to make them ballet. Near impossible right?

Now, he has sustaining foci, all they do is sustain the spells for him, enabling him to not take a TN penalty for having them active. Now his TN is 8 again, and within the realm of possibility.

Admit you are not discussing canon, you think it is broken, and that you are trying to make a rule to fix it. Say "This is my house rule to fix what I believe is an error in canon. I am not interpretting canon as not allowing this, I just don't believe it should be allowed, and will make my own house rule to fix this error."
Dawnshadow
The straw man fallacy is to take an argument and instead of forming a counter-argument for that original argument, to take an argument which is similar but easier to refute, and attack that instead.

Your arguments have all been that 'it doesn't work at high enough numbers'. High enough numbers reaches the point where it is reasonably beyond all but the best caster's ability to create when not using sustaining foci, and when using sustaining foci would logically result in burning out -- if the caster even had stats that high. The fact that the stats are theoretically possible to get at is irrelevent. Much like using 'every character could have body 11 or better' as an argument for something. That is why your arguments have all been straw men.

Common Sense would indicate that when a large number of people who are presumably either GMs or players, but have a large amount of collective experience disagree with your interpretation about the rules, that your interpretation is not supported by canon.

Likewise, "Common Sense" is not common. It's the derived form of judgement based upon your values, typically as a child. It's always different, fundamentally not measurable, and, most importantly, not a valid premise for anything in a logical debate. What became ingrained in you in your childhood is not a justification for anything.

No wonder you are confused, you keep placing words in my mouth, which of course would confuase anyone since they came from you and not me. I never said the TN comes from "manipulating mana" I said the TN comes from using the spell effects. It is obviously over your head to envision levitating objects with your mind, so we are stuck in an endless cycle of you justifying the unjustifiable, omg, just because it is "canon". whoopty doo.

And now, since you seem to have forgotten what you've been saying...

It takes concentration to wrap armor around you, to push the mana out ahead of you looking for life, to control thoughts, etc... it doesn't matter. You say it is for powering mana I say it is for concentrating on the spell effects.

UTILIZING the spell is what you are saying requires the concentration, and the concentration imposes the +2 TN.

How do you know it doesn't work that way? Do you have a quote from canon? I have asked for a quote anywhere in your precious canon that uses logic to explain the TN for sustaining a spell and all you throw out are home ruled theories. If you can't quote the rules don't assume the rules are on your side. it does not mention the reason why the TN is +2. You ASS-U-me it is because of manipulating mana, I don't. It could be a number of factors all lumped into a +2 TN.

I don't have a quote from canon. Why would I? It's a counter-factual argument, that is, one based on a premise which is false, but assumed to be true for the purposes of the argument. Much like 'What if Julius Caesar had not crossed the Rubicon'.

And as for how I know it doesn't work that way -- even you haven't argued that passive spells can be sustained in foci. I have no need to prove it -- it's the logical extention of Your position, not mine. You need to decide if that's what you want to be supporting.

What is based on logic, and will now be argued in baby steps:

All spells have a few elements in common(set A) which may cause a TN modifier.
Some spells have an ability granted (B). We will term these complex spells.
All spells have a +2 TN modifier.
A complex spell and a normal spell have the same modifier.
The elements that may affect the TN of a complex spell is A union B.
The elements that may affect the TN of a normal spell is A.
Basic assumptionAll elements in set A result in the same TN modifiers.
Set A union B has the same modifier as Set A.

[ Spoiler ]

Therefore: Either B is an element in set A initially, OR, B does not impose a TN modifier.

Extention: If B is an element in set A inititially, then all spells are complex spells.

Your stubborn refusal to accept the second case means that for you to have any logical strength, you must be in the first case (All spells are complex spells).

Likewise, you do not seem to accept the basic premise that CANON IS ALWAYS CORRECT IN SHADOWRUN.

Sheeeeeep.

A sheep would be following you, not opposing blatant illogic. I paid money to get shadowrun books, so I should USE them. They created the universe. They are the 'all powerful God who created everything' or 'the laws of nature, physics, etc', whichever theory you prefer. They might have made something that's different from the real world. So? It's their creation.

Your insistance that sustaining 'active' spells is a trivial task while sustaining passive spells is a complex task simply proves to me that you have no basis for consistency in your arguments.

More ASSumptions. I never said that. That is your lack of reasoning coming up with that. I said all spells have a user penalty unless they are powered by a foci. You have yet to quote me otherwise so you are house ruling it in your favor, which does not mean you are correct, or have anything to do with canon what so ever.

Um.. lets see.. help me out with this...
Armour: +2 TN. You reject the consistent position with your argument as described above, so all there is to give it is sustaining the spell. Using it's a trivial task, it's just there.

Levitate: +2 TN. Your position is that the target number is for using the spell... why is sustaining it not a modifier? Sustaining it must be trivial then.. That's not consistent with the armour spell..

Concentrate freely

Concentrate freely is a contradiction. it is a straw man argument easily blown away in the wind. Either you have to give attention to use the spell effects or you don't. Your limited visualizations prevent you from grasping the difference between passive and active spells. Lack of independent thinking and creativity seems to be a theme here.

Actually, it's trying to play in your system that prevents there from being a difference. We've proven that for your argument to be valid, there can't be a difference. See above.

Contradiction is not Straw Man. Contradiction is just that -- Contradiction. And, as someone who can type at 120+ wpm, listen to music, and chew gum at the same time.... Please... Give it a rest. I can even walk, talk, breathe and appreciate the view of the outside world at once, all while concentrating on one of the above.

NO ONE HAS SAID THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CONCENTRATE TO USE THE ABILITY GRANTED BY ANY SPELL. NO ONE. EVER.

It is the basis of your strawman argument. The entire argument you have is layed on this very foundation. If you are concentrating on the ability it is going to distract you from doing other tasks, hence a TN penalty. You refuse to lose your munchkin loop hole and to continue is pointless without a logical reader to interact with.

Argument isn't a straw man. Beyond that, you seem to have missed the entire point of the argument -- that the concentration on moving someone with your mind isn't enough to warrent a TN change. Not that it isn't there, it's just NOT WORTH IMPOSING, since it would be +.1 or some such trivial amount.
Demosthenes
(Tarantula said)Now, furthermore, you have failed to grasp the concept of a straw man fallacy.

Or even a straw "girl" fallacy. ohplease.gif

I think he abandoned reason for insults and sheer mulishness several pages back.
Still," 'tis all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye..."

"Baaaaaaaaaaa"
JaronK
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
QUOTE (Critias)

Now all you need to do is dikote your girlfriend and shoot people with her... devil.gif

Demosthenes... I can't believe you'd say something as silly as that. She needs to be made into an Ally spirit first!

Anyway, Rory's off in his own little dream world of ballet, and doesn't care about cannon... that's clear enough. One side of this is saying "here's what the rules are in shadowrun" and the other is saying "But they should be this!" Fine.

The rules are there's no penalty, but you still control the spell. Anything else is house rules.

JaronK
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (JaronK)
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Mar 17 2005, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (Critias)

Demosthenes... I can't believe you'd say something as silly as that. She needs to be made into an Ally spirit first!

Anyway, Rory's off in his own little dream world of ballet, and doesn't care about canon... that's clear enough. One side of this is saying "here's what the rules are in shadowrun" and the other is saying "But they should be this!" Fine.

The rules are there's no penalty, but you still control the spell. Anything else is house rules.

JaronK

Mmhmm, a very apt description JaronK.

I really should read some of the older threads about dikote, ally spirits and sex.. they sound very interesting.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Critias)

LOL, That made me laugh!

hehehehehe

torz x biggrin.gif
Sandoval Smith
Rory is like Weredigo's crotchety, less likeable grandfather(either that or we've discovered Bobby Crosby, AKA 'Pupkin''s Shadowrun identity). We've ground his nose in shit until it's impacted his sinuses, and he still hasn't figured out it stinks, so why don't we just let this topic die? Everything constructive that could've been wrung out of this was wrung out three or four pages ago, although there still will be a high amusement factor if he keeps on ranting at an empty thread (especially if he claims that the lack of response means 'he wins.'). Everything he's done in the last page or two has been pointless trolling and flamebaiting, and very little is every accomplished by indulging such immature behavior.
Eyeless Blond
Okay, let's try a different tack. Look at the rules in the Matrix section for monitored operations. Look at the rules where it describes action types for activating cyberware, or indeed at the rules for any type of *action*, such as observing something in detail. The rules are clear on this: doing anything or concentrating on something in Shadowrun is not measured by a TN modifier; it is measured by spending Free (or sometimes even Simple or Complex) Actions. The way I (and others) see it is the actual concentration on the spell's effects is seen in terms of actions rather than some arbitrary TN modifier that isn't supported anywhere in the book. In most cases the action is automatic and doesn't require an action, like the rest of movement is handled in Shadowrun.

This, of course, is in addition to the pages and pages of arguments which you have heretofore ignored, prefering to cling to your own reasoning at the expense of logic and common sense. It's clear that you're going to ignore this argument as well, because what you're arguing is not the canon ruleset or indeed anything that the rest of us can argue over, but only the world and system of rules that exists in your own head. Noone will ever be able to convince you because you insist on discarding the world under discussion for one that exists nowhere but in your own mind.

Someone please close this topic; it's obvious we're never going to teach Rory the fundamentals of logic without hundreds and hundreds of man-hours, and I seriously doubt that he's going to pay me the $45 an hour that I charge for private tutoring.
Neuron Basher
This thread is on the verge of being closed. Rein it in and end the personal attacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012