Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Authors/Editors of SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Bigity
I know you guys aren't going to release a whole lot of specific rules-related info, but can we get a list of the folks who participated/are participating in the writing of the new edition?
Nikoli
That might be a bad idea, as those folks are likely working hard. Given the collective computer ability on DS, it wouldn't be long before they were being bugged for information, embittering them.

I'd rather they remain sheltered until the first publication.
k1tsune
Also.. Such short notice mean that us poor artists and such can't get in on the fun? T_T
CirclMastr
But if we don't know who is writing, how will I know who to bribe to get my name into some shadowtalk?
Bigity
I wasn't planning on bothering anyone, just curious smile.gif
k1tsune
QUOTE (CirclMastr)
But if we don't know who is writing, how will I know who to bribe to get my name into some shadowtalk?

Look! I'm back on Dumpshock! I can blackmail you with old logs again!
DocMortand
Heh...if they're looking for random people for shadowtalk, they're welcome to my nick...*hopeful look around*
Garland
Or mine. New shadow commentators for a new edition, right, guys?
Bigity
Sweet.
CirclMastr
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (CirclMastr @ Mar 15 2005, 03:17 PM)

Look! I'm back on Dumpshock! I can blackmail you with old logs again!

Uh, Kagetenshi already posted it a long time ago. Besides, that PC was unrelated to my name, which I'd love to see in print love.gif ( nuyen.gif ) love.gif
Snow_Fox
I think most of it is written by now and the editors are chopping away, the release date if gencon and this will be a major release so i assume they will make damn sure they have it in time. I also expect as the core rule book they will have very little in the way of shadow talk.
Paul
Yes, who are the victims...Uhm I mean responsible parties....I never said political prisoners... cool.gif
otaku mike
Rules are rules. There never has been Shadowtalk in a SR base book. I don't think you'll see any in the next one.
The_Sarge
Wrong, to a degree. smile.gif

SR3s opening had shadowtalk, even if it was Cpt. Chaos.
But in the race-section there was even more.

It was no discussion, but it was Shadowtalk.

And if they do this race-thing again, I wouldn't mind narrating the Orcs. smile.gif
mattness pl
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Heh...if they're looking for random people for shadowtalk, they're welcome to my nick...*hopeful look around*

mi tu biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
If I see either Stephen Kenson's or Mike Mulvihill's names in this core book, I will set it on fire.
Penta
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
If I see either Stephen Kenson's or Mike Mulvihill's names in this core book, I will set it on fire.

I would suspect that you may want matches, then.
Crimsondude 2.0
No. My blind fury is powerful enough for ignition.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (mattness pl)
QUOTE (DocMortand)

mi tu biggrin.gif

mine sucks though
Crimsondude 2.0
Seriously. Any sense of optimism for SR4 I had for the last two and a half days has gone straight out the window. If those two are involved, I will not buy the core book, and I probably won't bother continuing to play SR because it's their crap in SR3 that I was specifically hoping to avoid with a new edition.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

mine sucks though

Hey, they used "Tupac" once. There's still a chance!
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah. I love how they took 20 years of hip-hop history and turned it into 6 months of craptacular ork chic.
fistandantilus4.0
Kinda touchy lately aren't we?

Got the SR4 blues?
Critias
What, did you just now start reading CD's posts? It's not like he's only like this in the last few days, or something.
fistandantilus4.0
Good point. I usually enjoy it.

Maybe I'm the one feeling touchy.
Synner
Crimson, all I'm gonna say is, if you've liked the last few books you should be giving us the benefit of the doubt.
brightlight
I think the recent source material has been great.

I just hope that this expensive new HC rulebook wont need 20pages of errata! Spend the extra time and hire someone to proof read it!
JACK THE CHIPPER
To come back to the topic title:

Any bets who of the regular dumpshockers is involved and won't/can't/mustn't tell?
Demonseed Elite
Yeah. I love how they took 20 years of hip-hop history and turned it into 6 months of craptacular ork chic.

Funny thing is, I see that as realistic. Hell, the recording industry now is trying to turn the history of hip-hop into craptacular chic. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner)
Crimson, all I'm gonna say is, if you've liked the last few books you should be giving us the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry Synner, but this is a non-negotiable point.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (JACK THE CHIPPER)

Any bets who of the regular dumpshockers is involved and won't/can't/mustn't tell?

We all are! Its a huge secret. cool.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Curiosity compels me to ask: Why?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (JACK THE CHIPPER)

Well, I'm playtesting it and throwing some additional material into the mix. Have no idea what my credit will read like, though. Probably just "playtester."
mfb
mulvihill made SURGE, and also that fantastic explanation for what essence is and how it works. kenson just writes poor rules, in my experience, and pushes SR in directions i don't wish it to go.
Critias
He also writes fairly ridiculous novels. Don't forget those.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 18 2005, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 17 2005, 10:30 PM)

Curiosity compels me to ask: Why?

They are the most awful writers of SR material (non-novels) I have encountered throughout my time playing all three editions of Shadowrun, but to sum up: Mike has poor ideas and a poor writing style, and Stephen is simply put a poor writer. Between the two of them, I've had more than enough of taking it up the ass while playing this game, and like I said--my enthusiasm about SR4 stems directly from my hope that I wouldn't have to put up with either of them or their shit anymore.

But if that's not the case, which is the impression I'm getting since no one around here is willing or able to say whether they are involved, why should I bother? I keep thinking in my mind that to stick with another edition of SR tainted by them is like sticking with an abusive spouse--stupid, and very painful. I love this game. It's the only game I've played, and I've stuck with it longer than literally anything else in my life, but this is just insane.
Demonseed Elite
Well, I can say that I'm not involved. Well, not yet. I might try to do some playtesting and maybe see if I can get any input anywhere, but I'm definitely not one of the people who has been working on it for the past year.

But then again, I'm not much of a rules person. In my opinion, it's probably better the rules aren't in my hands. I think the otaku rules in Matrix are the most I've ever done when it comes to mechanics. I have more fun with the setting stuff. Though I'd love to write some flavor text to for SR4, but like most of the main rule books, it'll be mostly rules, probably.
Digital Heroin
<- The new Captain Chaos.... biggrin.gif
Patrick Goodman
Not quite sure how to respond to that one, CD, since I don't agree with you on much of it. While we're not close, I do consider both of them friends, and I happen to like Steve's writing and most of Mike's ideas. I do appreciate that you kept it civil.

I don't think I'm violating anything when I tell you that I don't believe I've seen Mike's name on the playtest list at all; I don't believe his day job allows him much time to freelance on projects like this one (last I heard, he was still working for WizKids Games full time). I have seen Steve's name on the list, but I don' t know in what capacity he's involved. What with his dayjob at Green Ronin, I don't know how much he's going to be able to do besides just playtest.
Crimsondude 2.0
Great...

But at this point, I just don't care anymore.
Kanada Ten
I don't think having those that wrote the rules participating in playtesting is a good idea. In fact, it's a horrible idea. As bad letting them edit their own work only easier to solve.

Playtesters have to all but hate the game and at least the developers.
Paul
I am not I'd agree with anything CD2.0 has said, but man I have loved how he's said it! Dude I haven't laughed out loud like this in a while.
Vuron
Maybe they can dig up Nigel Findley and collect genetic material for a legion of rapidly developed clones and it will be wonderful. But realistically I'd expect a mix of good ideas and bad ideas and a somewhat mixed view of where the game should go. Of course we could get some funky mix of cybergeneration meets forgotten realms but I suspect not.
Kanada Ten
I'm more hoping for a mix of Shadowrun and the future, the real future. But we'll see, eh?
Vuron
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I'm more hoping for a mix of Shadowrun and the future, the real future. But we'll see, eh?

I'd be for that too but IMHO that would likely require an extensive reboot like a Ultimates versions of Shadowrun (likely based on a revamped timeline around 2050 again)
Adam
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
But at this point, I just don't care anymore.

Well, I won't bother telling you then, that, unless I'm mistaken, Steve and Mike aren't directly working on the book.
mfb
you know, this SR4 stuff is a real rollercoaster.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I do appreciate that you kept it civil.

Well, gee, thanks.

I think the adage, "It's nothing personal, just business" applies not just to this case, but to everything related to SR. It's not like I dislike them as people, or wish them harm. I've never met them, know little to nothing about them, and frankly, I don't care. My gripe is with their work product. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to actually mention it.

Anyway, I got your and Adam's comments. Fine. Good news for me. But considering how much the very idea of it upset me, and it did, I shall refrain from thinking about this any further.
Adam
So, you got the news you want, and it still upsets you?

I'm confused. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
It's somewhat like finding out that there is not in fact a slug in your porridge. Sure it's good news, but it doesn't mean you're going to be in a rush to finish the porridge.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012