Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Signature Characters in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Toa
Ok, I know this thread won't do anything to actual developments. But try to see it as a plaything. Might spawn a few ideas. wink.gif

What do you think might happen to our well known characters from the SR universe in the five years that bridge the editions?

The first that came to my mind was Captain Chaos - his years of work have gone down the sink. He either commits himself to reconstruction (and therefore stays with us as our 4th Edition sourcebook host), or plainly gives it up. A younger generation will pick up his heritage and create all-new data havens. We'll then see our share of Captain Chaos impostors. My opinion: a Captain ought to go down with his ship.

On a similar thought I remembered Fastjack - and came to the conclusion that his time was over. I don't think he'd care to start from the beginning again, considering his age. It's probably for the best if he dies sometime during the crash and it's consequences.

I see either Damien Knight or Nadia Daviar running for president of UCAS.

Lofwyr ought to get a slight setback. Maybe an assassination attempt that almost succeeds. But he has to live and still be the same arsehole - Shadowrun wouldn't be the same without him.

Harlequin... well, sitting on some beach with Frosty, having a Bud.

Art Dankwalther might succeed at ruining Richard Villiers but definitely will ruin himself in the process.

General Saito is most likely in for a whipping from two fronts, but I'd love to see him keep his hold on some territory in North America - I just don't know how he'd manage to do that, yet. wink.gif

I think that's enough for a start... what are your ideas?

Ricky Ratboy will be seized by a master shedim and - as leader of a small death cult in the Seattle sewers - act as main villain in one of the adventures in On the Run. *vile grin*
Pthgar
Oh man, what's Dodger going to do? Meagera might very well die.
mfb
ricky ratboy's dead. died in SSG.
Sandoval Smith
Just because the Matrix goes down doesn't meant that all the data is going to be lost. Systems will have to be updated and files transferred to 'modern' hosts. All of Cap's hard work will still be there, it just might not be immediately accessible.

Who was Rick Ratboy?
Toa
QUOTE (mfb)
ricky ratboy's dead. died in SSG.

Why do you think I mentioned the shedim?
mfb
oops, heh. i just saw the name as i was scanning through.
nezumi
Captain Chaos will never die. What I think will happen is some new guy he trusts takes on a large piece of the responsibility of running a data haven, and gradually the original Cap lets the new guy post under his name.

After all, Captain Chaos has been busily posting for well over fifteen years, right? And he was no newbie when he started. I could see a Dread Pirate Roberts thing going on.
Req
QUOTE (Toa @ Mar 16 2005, 09:46 AM)

No way. Ghostwalker 4 prez.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Toa)
The first that came to my mind was Captain Chaos - his years of work have gone down the sink. He either commits himself to reconstruction (and therefore stays with us as our 4th Edition sourcebook host), or plainly gives it up. A younger generation will pick up his heritage and create all-new data havens. We'll then see our share of Captain Chaos impostors. My opinion: a Captain ought to go down with his ship.

The Nexus would survive another Crash with only one exception--physical penetration and destruction of the DDH.

Shadowland (Seattle), OTOH... Might not. But it'll be backed up, and they will probably have plenty of volunteers to help restore it.

On a similar thought I remembered Fastjack - and came to the conclusion that his time was over. I don't think he'd care to start from the beginning again, considering his age. It's probably for the best if he dies sometime during the crash and it's consequences.

Fastjack will never go away. He'll day at 107 when he jacks out and breaks a hip in the bathroom.

Harlequin... well, sitting on some beach with Frosty, having a Bud.

Down the beach from Lucifer, no doubt.

And btw, my prediction about Novatech is based in part on suggestions in SOTA64 and some other personal speculation, but I feel confident it will be Novatech, and it won't be the same as it is now.
Garland
And Aina suffers through yet another drastic change in the world, all the while inching closer to the return of the Enemy.
hermit
Dodger: Will be bitter because of Meagera's death in SC/CE.

Cap'n Chaos: Still on the bridge, this time of a new ship. Pirates don't sink with their ships, Arrr! Honestly, I'd miss him dearly if he'd go.

FastJack: Will continue being a decker and graduyally lose contact with SOTA, and will become more and more of a living fossil, one of a dying species, one of the last true deckers. Will die poor, bitter and lonely in 2103.

Lofwyr: Will lose a lot of money, as well as a lot of prestge within the dragon community. Will lose all chances of being Loremaster for the forseeable fututre (and I am speaking in dragon terms here)

Celedyr: Option 1: Will mastermind Matrix 2.0's implementation. Might well have had a hand in SC/CE. Option 2: Will be thoroughly and totally fucked and lose all of his assets, business and most of his hoard, though I cannot imagine any bank daring to carry out an evicition order against a GD.

Damien Knight, Richard Villiers, and Nadia Daviar: Will compete running for president. One of them will die.

Ghostwalker: Will tighten his grip on Denver. Might well expand Denver's borders in all the confusion during SC/CE.

Aztlan: Will go berzerk.

Japan: Will not be a superpower after SC/CE. after all, they want to update SR to current world standards, and Japan has seen a steep decline already.

China: will reunify, possibly under some Kuomintang-style dictators with Lung's backing. Will start building shiny large aircraft carriers.

Israel: Will be in dire trouble. Let's hope they have found the lost Arc in 2065. They're gonna need it.

Harlequine: Will sit back, have a drink, and watch the chaos unfold, watching with slight amusement and the jaded pleasure of someone who has seen numerous cultures crumble and die. After all, that's what makes his life interesting.
Cochise
Though it originally wasn't my idea: I'm all for Pax as new sysop of shadowland biggrin.gif

Bastard Admin From Hell taken to the extreme ... vegm.gif
Penta
Hermit:

Israel has something better. Nuclear weapons.smile.gif

However, I really don't think they'll touch that region much. It's too easy to get dragged into the politics.frown.gif
Charon
QUOTE (hermit)
Lofwyr: Will lose a lot of money, as well as a lot of prestge within the dragon community. Will lose all chances of being Loremaster for the forseeable fututre (and I am speaking in dragon terms here)

I think Lofwyr has taken enough hits recently. I'd prefer it if he seized the opportunity of System Failure to finally turn Europe into his personal domain, the same way the Pope domimated a squabling Europe at the height of his power (Just before protestantism, reform and counter reform).

Lofwyr ain't perfect, we get it. That's the point of the recent development. But he should become formidable again IMO.
Deacon
QUOTE (Toa)

Art Dankwalther might succeed at ruining Richard Villiers but definitely will ruin himself in the process.

PRESIDENT DANKWALTHER!!! grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Charon
- Mr. Dankwalther, what are your plans to improve the unemployment rate in the country?

- I intend to grind into the dust the country's second largest employer.
Toa
QUOTE (Cochise)
Though it originally wasn't my idea: I'm all for Pax as new sysop of shadowland biggrin.gif

I also somewhat dig that idea... wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 16 2005, 11:46 AM)
Japan: Will not be a superpower after SC/CE. after all, they want to update SR to current world standards, and Japan has seen a steep decline already.

See, I can appreciate not wanting Japan to be the be-all and end-all of cyberpunk superpowers in SR, but...

Who else is going to overtake them? The only reason Japan is still the #2 economy is because the U.S. is #1. With the U.S. fractured and mostly hurting, China fractured and parts hurting, and god only knows what happened to India, Japan should still remain the top economic superpower. And if that means military superpower, too, well... It's not unheard of.
Young Freud
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 16 2005, 11:46 AM)

See, I can appreciate not wanting Japan to be the be-all and end-all of cyberpunk superpowers in SR, but...

Who else is going to overtake them? The only reason Japan is still the #2 economy is because the U.S. is #1. With the U.S. fractured and mostly hurting, China fractured and parts hurting, and god only knows what happened to India, Japan should still remain the top economic superpower. And if that means military superpower, too, well... It's not unheard of.

I've thought the same thing hermit is. From what SSG has implied about the Indian Union, I could see them taking over the high-technology reins from Japan. Even if half their population dies from VITAS and Kashmir cookout, they still got the manpower to rival the JIS, the UCAS, and CAS.

QUOTE (hermit)
China: will reunify, possibly under some Kuomintang-style dictators with Lung's backing. Will start building shiny large aircraft carriers.

Yeah, along with India, it's been said plenty recently that it looks like 21st century is going to be either an Indian century or China's time, rather than the 80s view of Japan running the world economy.

QUOTE (hermit)
Israel: Will be in dire trouble. Let's hope they have found the lost Arc in 2065. They're gonna need it.

I'm surprised Israel was still around in 2050-2060s, especially as a Zionist nation. Unless VITAS kills off all the Palestinians (who would be the majority in 2020) and they received enough foreign aid to replace US's share (which is unlikely: Israel is the #1 recipient of US foreign aid, while the US is the top provider of aid to Israel), I have a hard time seeing them looking like the Israel we've known. Add in the constant onslaughts of the neighboring Arab nations, I think that the country would be the size of a postage stamp by 2060.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Young Freud)
I'm surprised Israel was still around in 2050-2060s, especially as a Zionist nation. Unless VITAS kills off all the Palestinians (who would be the majority in 2020) and they received enough foreign aid to replace US's share (which is unlikely: Israel is the #1 recipient of US foreign aid, while the US is the top provider of aid to Israel), I have a hard time seeing them looking like the Israel we've known. Add in the constant onslaughts of the neighboring Arab nations, I think that the country would be the size of a postage stamp by 2060.

Nuclear weapons and the demonstrated willingness to use them are quite a deterrent. While there is no U.S. aid, there is also no U.S. restraint on the Israelis to doing whatever they please with the Palestinians.
Kagetenshi
Fastjack is alive and well. In 2074 he accepts one last job, engages in physical penetration into one of the backbone routers of the Matrix. While inside he is trapped within and becomes an inextricable part of the Matrix.

~J
Grinder
That would be a nice end (and beginning) for him imo. biggrin.gif
DrJest
I haven't read the most recent Matrix books (and at this rate, I probably won't be forking out for Matrix at all, no point if there's going to be a new edition in August), but from way back I always suspected Fastjack of being an AI. At least up until 2nd ed, the guy had never been seen in the flesh. Did we ever have proof positive of his physical existence?
Young Freud
QUOTE (Pthgar @ Mar 19 2005, 02:00 PM)
Nuclear weapons and the demonstrated willingness to use them are quite a deterrent.  While there is no U.S. aid, there is also no U.S. restraint on the Israelis to doing whatever they please with the Palestinians.

According to the SOTA books and the whole Ibn Eisa fiasco, they don't seem to be that much of a deterrent. In 2063, 10K Daggers and Constantinople have made money of the perpetual Arab-Israeli conflicts. In 2064, Zartan mentions that if Mossad was behind the Ibn Eisa hit, that would pretty much be suicide to the Israeli state. The loss of support from Nachtmeister has also hit them hard.

The Israeli economy, like Saudi Arabia, is tied heavily with the US, in the form of loans and reserves. The collapse of the US following the NAN and CAS seccession devastated the Saudi economy, up to the point that the House of Saud hooked their wagons to the IUM and merged with the the neighboring countries to form Arabia. I could see something similar occuring in Israel. In addition, areas of the country have been polluted and left uninhabitable by the Libyan chemical weapon strike.

In short, there's a lot that's going against Israel.

As for others, I say:

Philippines- the Philippines revolution gets out of Masaru's claws, the Huk disintegrates into a bunch of warring factions and, soon, a reign of terror descends upon the islands. Masaru books it on the last plane out to Seattle where he hosts the revived Wyrm Talk, while Filipinos slaughter each other in complete anarchy.

Tir Tairngire- repluses an invasion from Saito and the Human Nation, then collapses from Rinelle. Hestaby goes back to Mt. Shasta and barricades herself into the resort, cutting off all human contact.
Kagetenshi
I'd suggest getting Target: Matrix anyway.

~J
DrJest
Yeah, the Target books are a slightly different matter, since they're more oriented towards info rather than rules. But I doubt I'll drop the cash for any more rulebooks at ths juncture.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DrJest @ Mar 19 2005, 03:44 PM)
Did we ever have proof positive of his physical existence?

I don't know that we ever meet the guy in the flesh, but if he's an AI, he can spin a good story. In the Denver sourcebook he talks about the Mac he used to log on to the internet in 2012 the day the Awakening happened. And then later goes on to relate that he's since cannibalized that Mac for parts and has used the old CPU from that Mac in every deck he's built since (admittedly, the chip is doing low grade deck tasks like third-tier memory packet routing in the storage subsystem, since that's about all the horsepower it'd have compared to "modern" hardware), and that if he uses a deck that doesn't have his Mac's old chip in it, it just doesn't "feel" right.

Also, note that he had Legendary Status way back in 2050. To build ones self up to having a Legendary Reputation, takes time and careful effort, so he's been around a while before that. We know that AI's can only be "Born" in hosts that have a certain minimum level of processing power, and in the pre-2050 era, not only could you count the number of eligible hosts in the entire world on one hand, your High School Wood Shop teacher could count the number of eligible hosts on the hand he uses as an object lesson for shop safety and the importance of wearing your gloves.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DrJest)
Yeah, the Target books are a slightly different matter, since they're more oriented towards info rather than rules. But I doubt I'll drop the cash for any more rulebooks at ths juncture.

Well, that's where all the stuff on FastJack is, so… smile.gif

~J
DrJest
Heh

From this old-timer's point of view, back when everyone was all hotly denying the existence of AI's in 1st Ed, a "The lady doth protest too much" syndrome set in. Fastjack was a tempting suspect, since he was an absolute genius decker and had never been seen in the flesh.

Of course, our other theories included FJ being a spirit that had taken up residence in the Matrix. Or that FJ WAS the Matrix; that the Matrix had, as a unified system, crossed over into sentience and FJ was the face that sentience chose to wear.

Ah, the heady days of big hair, loud rock, staging codes and those dinky little claws that let you jack into the Matrix and run it with your brain.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DrJest)
and those dinky little claws that let you jack into the Matrix and run it with your brain.

That got recalled by the manufacturer because they found they were giving people advanced forms of brain cancer...
Cynic project
CFS finally showing a back bone and at least kicking Saito's ass all the way back to Japan.

Nova Tech merging with Ares, Tranys, ZIC, or Spinard. All these companies would have good reasons to merge... To think what SK would think when they aren't the biggest corp on the world. That could happen if Nova tech merged with either ZIC or Ares. If it Merged with Ares, we are talkign about a corp with 3 votes on the CC.

Art, just dying. only causing novatech enough problems to make it merge with another corp.

Ghostwalker/ DF sowing the seeds that would rebuild North America into one nation.

Ryan getting eaten by a dragon....
Kagetenshi
Why would Ghostwalker want reunification?

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (DrJest @ Mar 20 2005, 07:44 AM)

IIRC, in the SR1 rulebook there is an in-character rules example where Fastjack is using Electronics B/R (or Computer B/R) to fix or upgrade something (a telecom?) for another character (Sally Tsung?). I recall the example, but I'm vague on some of the details. It has been over 12 years since I even had that book.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune)

IIRC, in the SR1 rulebook there is an in-character rules example where Fastjack is using Electronics B/R (or Computer B/R) to fix or upgrade something (a telecom?) for another character (Sally Tsung?). I recall the example, but I'm vague on most of the details, but it's been over 12 years since I even had that book.

I thought that was Dodger. Unfortunately, that book happens to be near the bottom of my Stack-o-Shadowrun at the moment, and said stack happens to be in the bedroom where my Lady Love is sleeping, so I can't go check.
Fortune
There's a few examples using Dodger, but I do specifically remember at least one using Fastjack outside the Matrix.
Crimsondude 2.0
It was definitely in SR2. He was using a "science" skill or some sorts.
The Grifter
How about Hatchetman?

The Smiling Bandit <<strikes again! Ha! Ha! Ha!>> ?
fistandantilus4.0
Hatchetman got turned into a zombie. I don't think we'll be hearing from him much. He'll be busy playing with his IMS.

"oooh... look at all the pretty memories..."
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (The Grifter)
How about Hatchetman?

The Smiling Bandit <<strikes again! Ha! Ha! Ha!>> ?

Hatchetman has been dead for quite a while. Given the amount of time that has passed since he got turned into a cyberzombie, the chances of him managing to survive cancer, his spirit attempting to lose itself, etc et al are so low that I'd believe Dunkelzahn was alive before I believed Hatchetman was.
The Grifter
Yeah, I knew Hatch got turned into a cyberzombie. Just wonderd if he would still be kicking around.
mintcar
You all seem to keep better tabs on the signature characters than I ever did, so I´m tempted to ask a few questions. It has probably been up for discussion multiple times before but what the heck:

•Does the shadowtalk hold up to scrutiny?

•If you take a look at history, is there a good chance that I will be able to believe the shadowtalk posts in the new edition, if they´re supposed to be, is made by the same folks 5 years later, taking into account all that might have happened in that time?

Basicly; has there generally been a good concistancy in the shadowtalk posts? I never payed much attention to the names under the posts, so I wouldn´t know.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mintcar @ Mar 20 2005, 04:35 PM)
•If you take a look at history, is there a good chance that I will be able to believe the shadowtalk posts in the new edition, if they´re supposed to be, is made by the same folks 5 years later, taking into account all that might have happened in that time?

This'll be the first time we've had a jump of this size in the timeline. It's hard to say what kinds of life-shaking events any of the recognizable names will have in that period. It'd be cool if the authors slipped that sort of thing in.

Basicly; has there generally been a good concistancy in the shadowtalk posts? I never payed much attention to the names under the posts, so I wouldn´t know.

Yes, very much so. There's a short list of shadowtalk posters who have been well developed over the game's history, and and not only are their characterizations consistent, some have undergone character development. One example that springs to mind would be a certain Dr. Kristine Martin, who is no longer just a mouthpiece for the biotech corps, owing to the fact that she's separated from her former employers due to disagreement on a question of ethics.

They're also not afraid to kill off one of their recognizable names, either. Matador used to be the source of info on all things merc. He was killed in the line of duty. One of his lieutenants started posting shadowtalk under the handle Picador, and while it's clear she's got a different point of view on things, she's grown into her own as a shadowtalk poster.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, but there was also a metaphorical changing of the guards. Matador was Dowd's creation from a decade ago. To keep using him would be like people still posting with characters Findley created (Chromed Accountant being a key exception). The evolution of shadowposters is inevitable, and it's interesting that in the last year or two they have, as asides, "cleaned house" and killed off or retired all sorts of shadowposters and runners from SR1 and 2 like Wedge or Spook (shame we didn't even learn about what a cool backstory she had until she disappeared).

Deckers, it seems, are the ones who seem to never go away. But I imagine it'd be a bigger deal in the shadowtalk for someone like Fastjack to disappear just because he managed to survive into every subsequent edition to date, or Smiling Bandit, who to be fair was absent from shadowtalk for a long time, when it became helpful to bring back one or two (him and KAM) posters who could speak with authority on genetech when gentech made a comeback.
mintcar
Cool. While I started with the game early in the 2:nd edition era I was very young at that time and got most of the books used when I got a little older. I´ve followed the 3:d edition in more of a straight order, so in time I might learn to identify some of the reoccuring names and their development. The only ones I recognize at this point are the most famous ones and a few that always bitch about the same things, like Dragonslayer and Errant Knight. smile.gif

<<<edit>>> One of my favourite Shadowtalk moments is when Prime Runner starts to brag and everyone turns on him, telling him that he´s pathetic. Wonder were they got their inspiration for writing that? ohplease.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Probably from the maxim, "Braggers tend to be floaters."
mintcar
You could probably make that a scientific fact by studying this forum.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
(Chromed Accountant being a key exception)

There are others that have been around forever and never seem to go away:
There's the Chromed Accountant's arch-rival, the Keynesian Kid.
Speaking about rivalries, there's also SPD vs. X-Star.

Maybe that's the secret to longevity: be an authority on a subject, but have a rival shadowtalk poster who's also an authority on the same subject, and doesn't always agree with you.
Young Freud
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 20 2005, 05:26 PM)
(Chromed Accountant being a key exception)

There are others that have been around forever and never seem to go away:
There's the Chromed Accountant's arch-rival, the Keynesian Kid.
Speaking about rivalries, there's also SPD vs. X-Star.

Maybe that's the secret to longevity: be an authority on a subject, but have a rival shadowtalk poster who's also an authority on the same subject, and doesn't always agree with you.

This worked with what I considered the top two rivals in Shadowtalk: Neon Samurai and Nightfire, both on the opposite sides whenever a debate about Ares came up.

BTW, whatever happened to them? Did Neon get a pyrrhic victory over Nightfire, then get wiped out by Ares?
Crimsondude 2.0
AFAIK, nothing ever came of it. They've both appeared in 3e books, but never together to my knowledge.
Cain
QUOTE (Fortune)

IIRC, in the SR1 rulebook there is an in-character rules example where Fastjack is using Electronics B/R (or Computer B/R) to fix or upgrade something (a telecom?) for another character (Sally Tsung?). I recall the example, but I'm vague on some of the details. It has been over 12 years since I even had that book.

That was Dodger, not Fastjack. He was using program carriers, to boot.
This'll be the first time we've had a jump of this size in the timeline. It's hard to say what kinds of life-shaking events any of the recognizable names will have in that period. It'd be cool if the authors slipped that sort of thing in.

Are you sure? What was the jump from 2nd to 3rd?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012