Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacker vs Decker Terminology
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
audun
I can probably say this without violating my NDA (no, I'm not involved in SR4. I'm just a newbie freelancer):
It's hacker. Not a mistake, not marketing (I don't think FanPro even has it's own marketing guy, they're not that many). Hackers are the Matrix 2.0 fusion of deckers and riggers.
Critias
Which is a good thing, before anyone starts crying or writing sad poetry.

For one, it implies (strongly) there's no longer a "deck" involved. Be happy.

For another, it means they finally came to their senses and realized how much deckers/riggers can and should overlap. Be happy.
SuperSpy
QUOTE (Critias)
...before anyone starts crying or writing sad poetry.

Too late I say as
I mourn the loss of my deck
Worthless is my jack
Fortune
QUOTE (audun)
Hackers are the Matrix 2.0 fusion of deckers and riggers.

And there was much rejoicing! biggrin.gif
Kesh
Fabulous news. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (audun)
Hackers are the Matrix 2.0 fusion of deckers and riggers.

That's interesting. Very interesting.

I'm curious as to how well the two would merge. Some would say they should have done this from the begining. However, I think there's something very flavorful about having a piece of hardware implanted into your brain that co-opts the natural processing power of your brain to get near-biological levels of effiency and performance out of equipment, which is what's I think made the Rigger work well as a seperate archtype for so long.
Synner
Note Audun's comment is unconfirmed and unofficial. Inhis own words he "is not involved in SR4" in anyway. Just because we're sometime freelancers doesn't mean we're privy to development decisions like that. Don't take it as a given until you get it from the horse's mouth. I'm sure this is one of many things that will be addressed in the development blog that's been announced...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Synner)
Note Audun's comment is unconfirmed and unofficial. Inhis own words he "is not involved in SR4" in anyway.

I noticed that. It's one of the reasons I didn't go off and make an "OMFG!!!!11!!!11eleven11!!!!! They're merging Riggers with Deckers!!!" thread.

Still, it's an interesting theory.
hobgoblin
and makes kinda sense. have a spider drone with a wireless link on its back crawl into the ventilation system and look for a network cable. have it hook in and allow you access to the buildings security network. as you move around you have a feed from the drone about where the diffrent security systems are, bypass them and hope to god that there isnt a corp "hacker" on watch that notices your little intrusion on his turf wink.gif

and i realy do hope they make sure to put usefull info search rules into the main book with sr4 so that you dont have to see all those people that do matrix runs just to scoop out hte target (rather then do a info search and get hold of stuff like blueprints and so on).
audun
QUOTE (Synner)
In his own words he "is not involved in SR4" in anyway.

Are you? Would be great if you were at least smile.gif

Of course nothing is certain, but once you get the idea that hackers are to replace riggers and deckers you might notice that the blurbs released so far (press release and blurbs in 2005 catalog) mentions neither. It mentions hackers though proof.gif
hobgoblin
the proof is nowhere to be found, but as allways people are happy to take a rumour and run with it nyahnyah.gif

only time (and the release of sr4) can tell us...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Mar 16 2005, 02:55 PM)
One thing I've seen, people have latched onto the fact that the press release blurb uses the term hacker instead of decker, and run with it. I'm wondering if this might be premature.

I don't have to wonder anymore. Acording to the new FAQ posted, no more cyberdecks, and no more deckers. No word yet that confirms or denies the Decker/Rigger fusion theories, so that at least is still open for wild speculation.
hobgoblin
hmm, informative yet not...
still, the argument for dumping hte decker name makes a bit of sense...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012