Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A playtester's point of view of SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
I don't particularly care for being insulted for not wanting it on-line. I don't feel remarkably strongly either way -- whether they're in the book or on the web sight -- but I don't see how someone not wanting it in the book gives them the right to claim anyone who wants easy access to conversion rules hasn't got "half a brain cell" to figure out whatever changes they're throwing our way. I'm more pissed about people's fucking attitudes about it than I am their stances, at this point.

I don't recall being insulting, or using a phrase even remotely similar to that.
Bull
Everyone relax.
Critias
You didn't and/or haven't been, Fortune. But you aren't the only other person posting here (or even the only other person disagreeing with me here). I admit I'm cranky about this sort of thing today, because over in one thread we can get posts censored or deleted for basically saying "you're jumping to ridiculous assumptions," but people can call me stupid or a kiddie 'cause I think it'd be nice to see rules for conversion. No one likes feeling like they're on the shitty end of a double standard, and it's making me grouchy.
Ol' Scratch
Help on converting characters is fine. Desiring it to be a big, major, important thing for the designers to chew their nails over while designing the new rules isn't.

Placing such help on the web or making it available as a free leaflet or something is fine. Wasting valuable space in a major sourcebook for something that's only going to be of minimal use to a small number of people for a very short duration of time isn't... especially since by doing so, you're making everyone -- present and future -- pay for what is effectively going to be useless to the majority of people purchasing the product (especially those new to the game and future buyers).

And considering that converted characters almost *never* fit in with a new rules system completely anyway, it's even of dubious use as a free supplement.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Bull)
Everyone relax.

somehow i get this feeling like the devs won't waste their time with creating a conversion section themselves...once playtesting ends, there will be enough time before SR4's release that one of the playtesters, who will know enough about the system, could do a write-up on how-to convert your character if said PT was asked nicely (i.e. compensated) enough....and remember, there were conversion rules in SR3, so the SR4 conversion section can simply slide on into it's spot in the book.

let's not forget:

1) the section about converting sourcebooks...we can take that out and save 2 pages right there
2) this rule (SR3 pg. 323):

"For elf, dwarf, ork, and troll characters, divide thier Karma Pool by 2 (round down, minimum of 1). The result is the converted character's Karma Pool. The difference between their old and new Karma Pool is added to their Good Karma, and may be spent as the player wishes, per the SR3 rules."

now how would we ever have known that the devs would want us to do that w/o a conversion guide?

just some M.R.E.s for thought...
craigpierce
Doctor Funkenstein Posted: Mar 23 2005, 07:37 AM

archimagus Posted: Mar 23 2005, 07:37 AM 

jinx...you owe me a soda...you can pay up at the con grinbig.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Help on converting characters is fine. Desiring it to be a big, major, important thing for the designers to chew their nails over while designing the new rules isn't.

I can't think of any reason they shouldn't put a few pages in there for converting over existing characters to the new system.

That's been my stance from the get-go. "A few pages."

Where did I ever make it sound like we need a whole chapter of the book devoted to it, we were going to rise up and burn the developers if we didn't get page after page of rich, precise, conversion information, or anything like that? I don't think "a few pages" (later amended to "a couple") is all that big a deal, especially when you consider they did it in SR3 just fine, so it's not like it's some radical new idea I'm pioneering, here.

Stop blowing my request out of proportion and making it sound like something unreasonable. I'm talking about two pages. A single sheet, front and back. I think that would do just fine. I'll give you four cents if I see you at Gencon, to make up to you the price of that part of the book.
Fortune
I do think that Funk has a valid point here though ...

Placing such help on the web or making it available as a free leaflet or something is fine. Wasting valuable space in a major sourcebook for something that's only going to be of minimal use to a small number of people for a very short duration of time isn't... especially since by doing so, you're making everyone -- present and future -- pay for what is effectively going to be useless to the majority of people purchasing the product (especially those new to the game and future buyers).
craigpierce
i think what Critias is upset about is that someone (or a few people) have said (in no certian terms) that only an idiot would need a conversion section, since you can pour through the whole rule book and figure out what you need to change on your existing character...or just create one under the new system that is just like your old one.

and since Critias is someone who wants a conversion section (no matter what size), he has now been called an idiot.

twirl.gif
Ol' Scratch
That's been my stance from the get-go. "A few pages."

"A few pages" that I'd rather see be used for useful material, not a one-shot ordeal to satisfy a small population of players who, even then, will only "need" it for an incredibly short amount of time.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Fortune)
I do think that Funk has a valid point here though ...

again, i would like to point out bullet-point number 2 in my previous post...with a very different gaming system, you never know what more besides attributes and skills may need to be changed on an existing PC. SR2 to SR3 wasn't a very big leap, and even it had one thing to change when updating a PC to the new rules that couldn't have been guessed by looking at the rules in the chargen section - or anyother section besides a conversion section for that matter

i think that, with as many changes to the system as they appear to be making, a conversion section is warranted.
Fortune
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 24 2005, 12:10 AM)
i think what Critias is upset about is that someone (or a few people) have said (in no certian terms) that only an idiot would need a conversion section, since you can pour through the whole rule book and figure out what you need to change on your existing character...or just create one under the new system that is just like your old one.

and since Critias is someone who wants a conversion section (no matter what size), he has now been called an idiot.

I understand what Critias is upset about. That doesn't mean I automatically have to agree with his point of view though. A Conversion Guide would be of limited value to current players (it would only be necessary for a short period of time after the initial release), and have absolutely no relevance to newcomers to the game. As such, in my opinion this sort of thing would be best served by putting on the official web site.
Neuron Basher
QUOTE (Critias)
You didn't and/or haven't been, Fortune. But you aren't the only other person posting here (or even the only other person disagreeing with me here). I admit I'm cranky about this sort of thing today, because over in one thread we can get posts censored or deleted for basically saying "you're jumping to ridiculous assumptions," but people can call me stupid or a kiddie 'cause I think it'd be nice to see rules for conversion. No one likes feeling like they're on the shitty end of a double standard, and it's making me grouchy.

If you feel like you're being insulted in a thread in violation of the ToS, REPORT IT. I don't have time to read every thread so I miss things unless they're pointed out to me. As far as the censorship gripe is concerned, as I posted in the thread in question, feel free to bring it up in the Bug Reports forum and we can discuss it at length.
Critias
I don't like crying to mommy if someone hurts my feelings, just like I don't like it if someone else goes crying off. I mentioned the occurence(s) in passing as a way of partially apologizing for and explaining away my general grouchiness this morning, not as a way of filing any sort of official complaint and expecting anyone to do anything about it.

I wasn't trying to start shit up or get a big argument going, I was trying to half-assedly apologize for Fortune -- who's been just fine -- if I was being rude (and I don't think I especially was, but just in case my mood was showing).

And, Funk, the offer stands. In fact, I've upped it to a whole shiney nickel. I'm sorry if they raise the price of your SR4 book for the extra two pages of material needed for conversion, and if you genuinely feel it'll be all my fault if that happens, look me up at Gencon for your payment.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Critias)
And, Funk, the offer stands. In fact, I've upped it to a whole shiney nickel. I'm sorry if they raise the price of your SR4 book for the extra two pages of material needed for conversion, and if you genuinely feel it'll be all my fault if that happens, look me up at Gencon for your payment.

I don't think it's the personal expense he's concerned over, but rather the opprotunity cost. Inserting those two pages on character conversion (or for that matter any pages concerned with updating old sourcebooks for use in the new edition as was in the SR3 sourcebook) are pages that have limited marginal utility. After the first month of existence or so they're not useful, and can easily be scrapped in favor of a couple cent reduction in production costs (saving Fanpro money), or in other rules with more longevity (like initiation rules, or a short section on Edges and Flaws, whatever). The point is, the vast majority of people will not need or use those rules, so they can be much more easily scrapped in favor of more money for Fanpro, more money for us, or more useful rules.

Unless you want to pay a nickel to each and every person who buys the core book. smile.gif
Critias
The same argument could be made about any rules, though. I only use an Index the first couple times I have to look stuff up in a book, I know my way around SR3 so well by now it's freakish. Does that mean I think an Index is wasted space, and shouldn't be in my (or anyone else's) SR3 book? Or the decking rules (wholesale), for that matter? Or the rigging rules? Or half the spells listed? Or all the light pistols? These are all things I don't use very often. I'm not trying to get the dev team to leave them out of SR4, am I?

And, yes.

Anyone who finds me at Gencon, mentions this thread, and holds up an SR4 book gets a nickel. A dime, if you tear that page out of your book and give it to me (so I can have copies to give to my gaming group).
Fortune
None of the things you listed are actually useless to newcomers to the game though (or even the majority of gamers who are not new to Shadowrun). If a Conversion Guide (if any) is posted on the 'official web page', and labeled as being canon by the developers, then the problem is solved for everyone concerned.
DrJest
Not that I have strong feelings one way or another, but a conversion guide would be useful not just for taking SR3 characters to SR4 but in making use of existing pre-SR4 published material. Just a thought.
craigpierce
QUOTE (DrJest)
Not that I have strong feelings one way or another, but a conversion guide would be useful not just for taking SR3 characters to SR4 but in making use of existing pre-SR4 published material. Just a thought.

sure...never use that mission book but want to now...oh drek, there's 15 NPC's to update to SR4...good thing i have my handy conversion table in the back of my book.

hey, i agree that it would be well served on the site and not in the book.....but i know how i have a tendancy to delete files off my PC if i think i don't need 'em anymore...and as soon as i thought i didn't need the converter anymore and deleted it, sure enough i'd find a use for it.

just my 2 nuyen.gif - i really don't care myself so long as they make some kind of coverter
Blackout
Yes conversion manuals are great but they don't always come out and to be honest they aren't always needed. and the kiddie thing wasn't an insult.
Penta
Yes, it was an insult.
mintcar
I think they should have conversion rules in there. If they focus on a way to backtrack how many of new build points or karma old characters should be composed of under the new system, it should not take up to much space. They shouldn´t try to cover every problem that may arise.
Eldritch
Yes, they should have some sort of conversion guideline.

But they won't.

Why?

<my theory>

Becuase they don't care about the current fan base. They are after a completly new fan base. They assume that most of the older players will carry over no matter what they do;
Change rules
Change the name of deckers to hackers.
Change the stroy line.

Whatever they do, a whole bunch of these peeps will buy it regardless... Like Lemmings.

And they know they will loose players/customers. They will consider it an acceptable loss.

Is it their right? Yes

It's any companys right to do what they want. But a lot of companys loose sight of good customer service - and that's all any of this is when you get right down to it. Customer Service.

It's ccompletley within McDonald's rights to not hav a register operator working when you walk in. And it's your choice - stay like a dork and hope you get taken care of, or go someplace else.

</My theory>

Many of the more verbal amoung us have ask everyone to stop Bitching and offer suggestions.

Here's mine:

Don't do it. Make SR4 that is. It is unncessary. The system is not broken. it does not need a complete overhaul.

Is it damaged? Maybe. Fix it. Don't replace it.

But if it was damaged - then it was damaged when they released it.

Should it be considered a defective product at that point? I spent $30 on a rule book, and now I'm being told "It's broke. It's been broke all along. Now, Here's a fixed version for you to buy...."

B.S.

Siege
What are the chances they will release two books? One with the new rules and mechanics and the other with fluff, background and flavor material?

Although if the mechanics are indeed as streamlined as they say, they may very well have plenty of space left to include something along the lines of a conversion chart.

-Siege
Kanada Ten
But if it was damaged - then it was damaged when they released it.

It was damaged when FASA released it, and likely SR4 will be damaged as well (after all nothing is perfect). Sure, they could simply continue to duck tape it together until we have a million books and no one has any idea where anything is. I don't know how many times I've answered the question about "what's channeling, where can I find it?" and similar.

Should it be considered a defective product at that point? I spent $30 on a rule book, and now I'm being told "It's broke. It's been broke all along. Now, Here's a fixed version for you to buy...."

Er, no, what you're being told by FanPro is, "Hey, we're going to finish up SR3 and make it a playable as possible with the rules we started with. And then, for those that want to, we've developed the world and rules into a new system that should feel more or less familiar with some changes and streamlined rules. These should be more accessible to new players and help everybody in the long run." It's us that's telling you the rules are broken.

Becuase they don't care about the current fan base.

I'm sure that's why the freelancers are constantly asking for opinions. I'm sure that's why polls show a majority of the current fan base wanting a new edition. But then again, I'm pretty sure they will have a conversion guide - just hopefully not it the books.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Mar 24 2005, 01:55 PM)
Yes, they should have some sort of conversion guideline.

But they won't.

And you know this...how, exactly? Since it hasn't been discussed anywhere except, maybe, here. And yes, before you ask, I have read this entire thread.

Where the hell do you get off assuming that we, the freelancers who are working on this thing, don't care about the existing fan base?
Lucyfersam
I've got to say, if this had happened 6 months ago, I probably would have said "no, the system doesn't need an overhaul, it's fine the way it is." However, I recently brought a new player with no former exposure to SR into my regular game, and they are having a very difficult time getting into it because the of the arcane nature of the rule base (and this is someone who does a lot of role-playing and game mastering in other systems, so it's not that they are new to role-playing). Watching this has put me firmly in the camp of "if they can streamline the rules and make it more accessible without changing the feel of the game, more power to them." I've been playing this game for a long time now (not as long as some, I got in at the beginning of 2nd ed.), and overall I really like the system and world, but if streamlining it can make it more accessible to my friends who I want to play in my games, I'm more than willing to lose the system.

As for them not caring about the fan base, that is just not true. First off, they are all fans themselves, that's why they do this (I promise you it's not for the money). 2nd, this is the most open and interactive development of a new edition I've ever heard of. No other game publisher has worked as hard as they seem to be to talk and listen to the fan community during the development process, it is really quite an amazing thing and I would like to thank them for it. They deserve our gratitude for listening to us and trying to make the best game they can for us, not us bitching that they don't care what we think.
Eldritch
And you know this...how, exactly? Since it hasn't been discussed anywhere except, maybe, here. And yes, before you ask, I have read this entire thread.

Where the hell do you get off assuming that we, the freelancers who are working on this thing, don't care about the existing fan base?

How? I don't Know, as in a fact - I know is in a guess. rememeber, my stand on all of this is that is is purely about money - and not about the game. It's just not cost effective to put in a couple of pages that will see limited use to a few people.

Where do I get off assuming?

I'm allowed to assume all I want. I'm also allowed to post those assumptions here in the course of these 'discussions'. It's why the SR4 forums were started. So we could discuss the change - with what limited info we had. Did FanPro not think that we'd make assumptions? Guesses? Be irritated? Wonder at their motives? Worry about what they will do to our favorite game?

And I feel that they don't care becuase they are doing it. That's how I feel, and there is not much you can do or say about it. Sorry if how I feel offends you.

Well, here's my feedback.

Is it my fault you are offended? Or that you feel the need to bust our humps becuase you have some inside information?
No. It's not. You have inside info. Great. Well the fact that you can't say anything should keep you out of these discussions. You're probably toeing the line of your NDA....
Blackout
I think if the demand is high enough for a conversation manual it will happen, its good business.
Kanada Ten
Kinda easy to do as well. All the playtesters could simply build all their old character using the SR4 chargen and then compare them to the original. Sure, you need a lot of tweeking, and I would suggest converting some of the monsters characters posted on Dumpshock as well, but it's easier than actually rewritting the rules in the first place.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Eldritch)
I'm allowed to assume all I want.  I'm also allowed to post those assumptions here in the course of these 'discussions'.  It's why the SR4 forums were started.  So we could discuss the change - with what limited info we had.  Did FanPro not think that we'd make assumptions? Guesses?  Be irritated?  Wonder at their motives?  Worry about what they will do to our favorite game?
I think Fanpro knew *exactly* that there would be lots of people with misgivings about the coming new edition. This is why they kept it so tightly under wraps, and are now coming out with a devblog to explain (hopefully) what the changes will be and why they were made. Please at least attempt to be patient with them, and stop second-guessing their motives when you don't really have any clue what they're thinking yet.

And I feel that they don't care becuase they are doing it.  That's how I feel, and there is not much you can do or say about it.  Sorry if how I feel offends you.
See, here's the real problem: you just don't like even the idea of a new edition. You've gotten into your "safe zone" with SR3 and are uneasy about the prospect of anyone messing with the core foundation of the rules, no matter how flawed, convoluted, and essentially incomplete they've been proved to be over the past several years. This uneasiness has led you to conclude that it's going to suck, really for no good reason other than you're scared of change. And that's why people here are going to object to your blanket statements about SR4 sucking and spreading FUD around all over the place; you're basing it all, not on any actual concrete data, but your own fear.

I'm sorry if the above sounded harsh or in any way like flamebait, btw, but if you read your own posts you'll know it to be true.
mfb
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Well, here's my feedback.

one man's "feedback" is another man's "making stuff up as you go along, and then getting mad at the writers/playtetsters for what you've made up, and then getting snippy with them when they call you on it". different strokes for different folks, i guess.
Blackout
Now see I am all about a new version of Shadowrun, heck its about time. Also lets not forget its nice to see a new edition of something that isn't D20.
Eldritch
See, here's the real problem: you just don't like even the idea of a new edition. You've gotten into your "safe zone" with SR3 and are uneasy about the prospect of anyone messing with the core foundation of the rules, no matter how flawed, convoluted, and essentially incomplete they've been proved to be over the past several years. This uneasiness has led you to conclude that it's going to suck, really for no good reason other than you're scared of change. And that's why people here are going to object to your blanket statements about SR4 sucking and spreading FUD around all over the place; you're basing it all, not on any actual concrete data, but your own fear.

Well then I gues you're reading in to it what you want.

I'm not afraid of change. SR has been changing, growing and evolving since it was published - both with and without the core rules re-editioning.

They could very easily rewrite the core matrix rules without re-editioning the book. They could do that with any rule. Hell they even could have written the change in grounding rules into one of the event books. "ZGrounding use to wrok, and now it doesn't becuase....." instead of it just doesn't work anymore. Stupid. And unimagninative.

No, this isn't about fear. Or even anger. It's all irritation. And to be honest it's not just fanpro - it's the entire industry. Most of the companies have it stuck in their head that it is now an "Industry Standard" change and completly rewrite the rules every few years. Now it's happening to my favorite game, and it just ittitates the hell out of me.

I still haven't seen any proof that rules are "broken". Sure plenty are imperfect, but that is true with every game - every system. There is plenty Opinion that the rules need help. But that's just the opinion of a small section of the entire fan base that takes the time to post here at DS.

ANd no, I won't take offense to anything you say here. As long as you continue to be civil. smile.gif

Yeah, they could very easily write a new, great system. A system I'd even like. But it's not necessary. There are lot's of great game systems out there. I've played and liked SR since it was published. I wouldn't have played it just becuase the setting was cool. I grew to like the rules as well.

Critias
They could very easily rewrite the core matrix rules without re-editioning the book. They could do that with any rule. Hell they even could have written the change in grounding rules into one of the event books. "ZGrounding use to wrok, and now it doesn't becuase....." instead of it just doesn't work anymore. Stupid. And unimagninative.

So they can re-write all the rules and release a new rulebook (that you still have to purchase to get those new rules), but as long as they don't come out and say it's a new edition, you're happy?

Perverse.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Critias)
So they can re-write all the rules and release a new rulebook (that you still have to purchase to get those new rules), but as long as they don't come out and say it's a new edition, you're happy?

That so reminds me of how White Wolf handled their "Revised" Second Editions of Vampire, Werewolf and Mage.

Oh, we're not putting out a new edition of Vampire... it's just, well, it was the first time we'd written a Second Edition to one of our World of Darkness games, and we've matured as game designers writing the Second Editions to the 4 games that came after it. We've learned a lot since then, and we just want to bring our flagship game up to the level of quality that you've come to expect from us. We don't anticipate having to do this for any of our other game lines as they're already the standard we want to bring Vampire up to meet.

18 months later...

Here, Have a "Revised" Second Edition of Werewolf. Mage will be getting its "Revised" Second Edition in about a year.

It's no wonder they had to do an entire metaplot hard-reboot for the 4th Edition versions of the WoD. If you're going to be making major alterations to the mechanics, at least have the decency to change edition numbers. At least WotC had a smidgen of good sense when they decided to call theirs 3.5 instead of Revised 3rd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012