Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Answers Regarding SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Sharaloth
But whatever. I know, it's necessary to cut all ties with Shadowrun, because nobody actually likes Shadowrun.

I like Shadowrun.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
Again, what is this "return"? Decking has always been decking. It was never hacking.

Hacker House...

On the other hand, I would have liked a new term for wireless decker riggers before "hackers." But it could be worse.

As a side, the only Shadowrun I don't like is the one that never changes.
Skeptical Clown
"Change" is a very benign-sounding term. I mean, I wouldn't mind if my car had a few changes. If I give it a new frame, a new body, a new paintjob, a new engine, and new wheels, however, it's really only the same car in name.

But whatever. I'm bitching in mourning of Shadowrun. It was great while it lasted. Except for when it wasn't.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
"Change" is a very benign-sounding term. I mean, I wouldn't mind if my car had a few changes. If I give it a new frame, a new body, a new paintjob, a new engine, and new wheels, however, it's really only the same car in name.

But it's still a car. Shadowrun is not a single car, it's a class of vehicle. We've been driving a '89 Honda Civic long enough, even with all the duck tape holding the bumper on. I don't think what's cool about the Shadowrun world will be gone because deckers don't need decks - and I think the proof is in how many games never even use deckers or riggers.

Of course, you're free to think SR is dead, as I've heard you lamenting it before. But I feel the opposite: I think SR is alive, and most of the new books reenforce that opinion in me.
Skeptical Clown
The point of the analogy is this: You didn't change the old car. You bought a new car, and ditched the old one.

But you win anyway; you get your Shadowrun without the inconvenience of having all the things that make it Shadowrun.
mfb
mourning for a game system that's passed is one thing. deciding that a new system is going to suck based on less than two thousand words is kinda dumb.
Skeptical Clown
I have no idea whether the new game will 'suck' or not. I just know what it isn't: the game whose name it's borrowing.
mfb
you know that, hm?
Kanada Ten
Maybe we just have different opinions on what is required to make it Shadowrun? Oh, wait, that isn't possible!!!

Magic? Check
Machine? Check
Dark Near Future Fantasy? Check
Criminals hired by corporate masters in the name of profit? Check

So... what exactly is it missing?
mfb
heh. deckers.
Skeptical Clown
Yeah, just deckers, really, you're right. Enjoy 4.0!
Kanada Ten
OMG it's not Shadowrun!!! Getting rid of deckers is like taking the dice off the rear-view mirror of a semi-truck. I'm sure Skeptical Clown has more than that in mind (and maybe if he bother to explain we could actually have a discussion).
mfb
based the whole two thousand words that've been put out on the subject, "deckers" is the only thing you can actually say for sure will be missing. so, if you've got some kind of inside line, spill. otherwise, you're just running around telling everyone that the sky's falling.
Skeptical Clown
It doesn't really matter, does it? It's a well-kept secret, but in my opinion, the line has been more or less flatlining since FASA bit the dust. It's themes have become diluted, and its metaplot both bloated and increasingly focused on boring movers and shakers. But as I've been informed many times before, everybody loves that, and doesn't like the old 80s and 90s style cyberpunk. And I'm wrong anyway and nothing has changed, except what has changed. I'm sure you're right and they'll sell lots of books. Just, not to me. Which is fine.
Ol' Scratch
I have no idea why people are saying deckers are going to be missing. Computer criminals who carry around keyboard-sized computers? Yes, those are largely going to be gone from what I understand. But computer criminals who infiltrate systems and work to bypass security measures and hunt down hidden information? They're still going to be there.
Eyeless Blond
They just mean the word "decker" is going to be missing. See, the two whole letters it gets changed somehow makes the game no longer Shadowrun, no longer cyberpunk, and *certainly* not true to the pure cyberpunk origins of Shadowrun (elves, dragons and magic notwithstanding of course.)

Oh yeah, and the sky is falling.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
It doesn't really matter, does it? It's a well-kept secret, but in my opinion, the line has been more or less flatlining since FASA bit the dust.

So... you think that Shadowrun is already dead, more or less, correct?

It's themes have become diluted, and its metaplot both bloated and increasingly focused on boring movers and shakers.

Interesting that you don't see 4th as a way to shrink the metaplot, or is it that you're sure they'll pick the boring ones? As to the themes... well, we never agreed about what those were anyway.

But as I've been informed many times before, everybody loves that, and doesn't like the old 80s and 90s style cyberpunk.

I've heard a few people aching for 80s and cyberpunk, and I doubt both will be gone from the game (maybe diluted, thankfully diluted). Undoubtedly gangs will roam the wild streets at night fight for territory and ninja will strike at the command of their Japanese masters and mohawks never go away. Eco-wars will still go on without the wires. Megacorps will still rule most of the world, nations will still scramble for their crumbs, people will still murder for a pair of shoes as likely as what god the other worships.

And I'm wrong anyway and nothing has changed, except what has changed.  I'm sure you're right and they'll sell lots of books.  Just, not to me.  Which is fine.

What more do you want then? I can't think of a way that SR could please you anymore since you already have everything you want from before? What was the last SR you read? What was the last thing you were excited about?
Skeptical Clown
Why exactly are you asking the questions? Because it matters, or because you feel like proving me wrong? It's an aesthetic question, and I already hashed it out for weeks last fall with Synner. Suffice to say, I have nearly all the Shadowrun books, save a few early ones and the very latest (SoTA 64). If you mean the last time I was excited by the PROSPECTS of a book, then SoE. If you mean the last time my expectations were more or less met by the product, I suppose either Cyberpirates! or the SR3 core rulebook.

It's selling point is not a mix of technology and magic; if that's all that was required, I have my pick of games to choose from (for example, Urban Arcana). The aesthetic essence is that cyberpunk feel that was created in 1989, and established and developed in the 90s. Obviously, our aesthetics are different, so what else is there to discuss?

Also, the Sky is Falling. Anyone else need to throw that in? Go ahead, get it out of your systems.
mfb
because we like it, and you're telling us it sucks. it's just as okay for us to tell you why we like it as it is for you to tell us why you don't. personally, i think SR was pretty close to biting the dust when FASA came apart--from MitS to SURGE, i was displeased with a hell of a lot of SR stuff. ever since Fanpro took up the reigns, though, i've been basically happy with what's been put out. i, personally, don't care about the 80s. i lived through them, they had their ups and downs, but they hold no real appeal to me. they hold even less appeal to kids who weren't even born until 90--kids who weren't there to see what all the fuss was about, kids who are a large part of the gamer community. those kids, and those of us who keep up with them, want to see what today's technology and social structure and trends will be like in 60 years, not what Ronald Reagan's future will be like.

keeping SR stuck in an 80s future would make it a niche game. niche games don't get books, and they don't often last. whether SR4 comes or not, you'd be out of a game either way.
Kanada Ten
Because it matters.

The aesthetic essence is that cyberpunk feel that was created in 1989, and established and developed in the 90s.

Can you give an example? Something that exemplifies that cyberpunk feel in the books?
Skeptical Clown
QUOTE (mfb)
because we like it, and you're telling us it sucks. it's just as okay for us to tell you why we like it as it is for you to tell us why you don't.

Don't recall saying it wasn't okay; I recall asking why.

And no, it doesn't matter. And no, I'm disinclined to even bother discussing it. It's needless frustration for me. Have a good evening!
mfb
yes. because "Why exactly are you asking the questions? Because it matters, or because you feel like proving me wrong?" isn't in any way an indication you think that what we're doing is not okay.
Kanada Ten
And no, it doesn't matter. And no, I'm disinclined to even bother discussing it. It's needless frustration for me. Have a good evening!

Your choice. When I write for SR, your non response will be forgotten.
Bull
Just a reminder... If you can't keep it friendly, at least keep it civil. Several posts have been verging on flames, and warnings have been issued.

Thanks!

Bull
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
I have no idea whether the new game will 'suck' or not. I just know what it isn't: the game whose name it's borrowing.

And you know this...how? There's not enough information out there for you to be making this sort of pronouncement.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
But whatever. I know, it's necessary to cut all ties with Shadowrun, because nobody actually likes Shadowrun.

What the hell gives you this notion?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
It seems as though in this case, I'm going to like the setting material, but hate the new rules.

Whether that means I'll never touch the book again depends on the severity of the rules changes.

I really have a bad feeling about this...

I think you're jumping to conclusions based on nothing but a very short press release. I think I'll go out on a limb here, NDA-wise, and tell you that from this playtester's POV so far, it's recognizable.

{snarkiness, not necessarily directed at HMHVV Hunter alone}
If you'd all just sit back, let us work, and quit complaining about something you don't know a damn thing about yet, things would go much smoother and I think we'd be able to help allay the FUD that some people around here are spreading as thickly as they are.
{/snarkiness}
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
But whatever. I'm bitching in mourning of Shadowrun. It was great while it lasted. Except for when it wasn't.

It ain't dead. Quit whining.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 23 2005, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown @ Mar 22 2005, 09:35 PM)
I have no idea whether the new game will 'suck' or not.  I just know what it isn't: the game whose name it's borrowing.

And you know this...how? There's not enough information out there for you to be making this sort of pronouncement.

actually, he said in an earlier post (sorry...too lazy to find it and quote it directly) that he hasn't played in 2 years...so i believe he is basing his opinion on SR3. he probably also feels that SR4 sounds like it resembles the game he enjoyed (SR2?) even less than SR3 did.

i for one (not choosing sides, just stating my official opinion on this matter) will have to wait until i get my copy of SR4 to decide whether or not i want to switch to it. as it stands right now, i'm worried that they may be tampering with things too much in a attempt to make the game more accessible and marketable - all the while taking the personality and originality out of the game.

i'll still run it at the conventions (i've already signed up to demo it at this year's gen-con indy), but my decision will effect what i play in my home game (when i can get one) - who know's...i may stick with SR3 and never buy another book; or i may LOVE SR4 and buy all the new books.

for now...i too remain skeptical
craigpierce
QUOTE (archimagus)
...but my decision will effect what i play in my home game (when i can get one)...

to go off topic for a quick sec...

i live in englewood, co (a suburb of denver) - if you're looking for a player/GM, please hit up the player/GM registry! i'm desperate to play eek.gif
Salvation122
QUOTE (mfb)
they hold even less appeal to kids who weren't even born until 90--kids who weren't there to see what all the fuss was about, kids who are a large part of the gamer community.

Not really, no.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Salvation122)
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 23 2005, 04:59 AM)
they hold even less appeal to kids who weren't even born until 90--kids who weren't there to see what all the fuss was about, kids who are a large part of the gamer community.

Not really, no.

If they're not, then they should be, neh? If not now, then pretty soon.
Unless you want SR to simply fade away into nothing...
DrJest
Personally, I anticipate my own kids taking at least a passing interest in roleplaying. Already (at 10 and 12) they're heavily into Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR, which is a good enough place to start.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 23 2005, 08:17 AM)
If you'd all just sit back, let us work, and quit complaining about something you don't know a damn thing about yet, things would go much smoother and I think we'd be able to help allay the FUD that some people around here are spreading as thickly as they are.
{/snarkiness}

Hey hey hey, unless FanPro's statement about it was a complete lie, some of us are arguing about something we know something about (if not very much).

I find the entire line of reasoning absurd. I was born in 1985 but appreciated Star Wars and classic Star Trek, along with many of my contemporaries. Soylent Green and Blade Runner are still popular amongst my age group. Hell, I even know a decent number of Metropolis fans. Can you explain exactly where you get off saying that just because someone didn't live through the conditions that created a game's style, they won't appreciate that style?

~J
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 23 2005, 08:17 AM)
{/snarkiness}

Hey hey hey, unless FanPro's statement about it was a complete lie, some of us are arguing about something we know something about (if not very much).

Like what? I'm looking at a printout of the announcement from the Shadowrun official website. It is, from my experience looking at the playtest documents, wholly accurate. It also says nothing. It's a press release that says "We're making a new edition and we're changing a lot of things around."

I'm not complaining about you, by the way; you're another one that I find worth reading and discussing things with. But the vast majority of the whinging that's going on here right now is based on the fact that everybody's playing Chicken Little based on this press release and a couple of questions in a very incomplete FAQ. The sky isn't falling, there is no wolf in the fold...they're just bitching for the sake of bitching, and that doesn't accomplish a damned thing.
RangerJoe
You know what really gets me about the pending Crash of '65? The fact that my character's accumulated Transys Neuronet stock options are going to be worthless.

/Can't Fanpro think of the little people....
Pthgar
Never take stock options or corp scrip. wink.gif

Hey, you could sell them now and get the money for your char. It's kinda like insider trading. Explain it away like you went to a diviner and saw bad things coming so you decided to consolidate your portfolio into more hard assets like real estate and such.
RangerJoe
Wow. I hadn't thought about the "end of the world as we know it" that way before. SR4 is the biggest boon to metagaming ever. smile.gif

I wonder if my character can get a decker buddy of his to snag him the trademark on the term "hacker"....
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Can you explain exactly where you get off saying that just because someone didn't live through the conditions that created a game's style, they won't appreciate that style?

because things that are old-fashioned are out of style, and very few people enjoy playing non-stylish characters. how many of your characters have mullets? how many of them use "radical" as an exclamation? how many of them fit the Bill and Ted archtype?

people today make fun of the "high technology" of the 80s and 90s--cellphones the size of a car, keyboards that rattle like machineguns when you type on them, DOS prompts. these are not the basis of a game that details any kind of future modern gamers will understand. these are the basis of a game whose stylistic idiosynchracies will only be understood by a limited few, and enjoyed by an even smaller subset.

two decades isn't enough for a retro game--two decades ago isn't "retro", it's "lame" and "out of style". a 50's future game? sure, that'd be cool. (hell, at least then we'd have our goddamn flying cars!) but an 80's future game wouldn't be, because it wouldn't be looking back--it wouldn't have moved forward far enough to have anything to look back to.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Like what? I'm looking at a printout of the announcement from the Shadowrun official website. It is, from my experience looking at the playtest documents, wholly accurate. It also says nothing. It's a press release that says "We're making a new edition and we're changing a lot of things around."

Consider that most of my whining has been about the use of the term "hacker" and the apparent continued existence and expansion of the WMI. That and the five-year gap. It's all about picking the visible targets; you can do a lot of whining with very little smile.gif

~J
Patrick Goodman
I'll try to get back to you on some of this, as soon as I hear back whether or not I'd be violating my NDA. (For the record, I'm against the terminology change myself, but I don't have anything better.)
GunnerJ
I've always liked netrunner. Is that a common enough term, or is it nigh-near copyrighted? (Not that such issues stoped FASA from appropriating Gibson's "decker" in the first place.)
Eldritch
The sky isn't falling, there is no wolf in the fold...they're just bitching for the sake of bitching, and that doesn't accomplish a damned thing.

I think a lot of the comnplaints come from one place; the Wallet.

I won't speak for the vast majority of gamers out there;

But I believe that the whole concept of re-editioning game systems is just a grab for money. Flat out, bottom line. End of story. This is all about money.
(And I don't expect a response to that last statement - I have always believed that, always will. And I have never seen/heard anything to make me think otherwise)

The words Ludicrous, ridicoulous and Just dumb come to mind. I have been gaming for 25 years, I've seen lots of things come and go. And one thing I am tired of is re-editioning. I don't consider Rifts an 'anomoly' as was mentioned in another thread. They just know how to do things right.

SR isn't broken. Is it perfect? No. Will SR4 be perfect? No.

Is the sky falling?. Yeah, if you don't have the funds to reinvest in the "Next big thing". I don't. Won't. And probably wouldn't if I did. Fasa/Fanpro has enough of my money on rules books. I'd rather see more place/event books.

And on the hacker/decker note, I agree; Hacker is old hat and brings to mind little kids goofing off. Not 'professionals' It doen't matter what is true or not' it's the perception ogf the general public.. If they are determined to cut ties with Decker, then Netrunner is the next best thing.

Kagetenshi
Actually, any way you slice it hackers aren't professionals. Hackers in the respectable sense are indeed the consummate unprofessional, the "if it works, go with it" mentality that is so fatal to any large or critical project.

~J
Nikoli
Umm, there are rumors of Palladium publishing a new edition, so there goes the anomoly if it's true.
Pthgar
If one plans on buying all (or most) of the books for SR, then whats the problem with buying this one? Of course new books are for making money. You say that like its a bad thing. Other thing for making money include; new novels, movies, comic books, cars and every other consumer good. Nothing lasts forever and if you expect something to survive, it has to grow, change, and adapt.

A new version is not the sign of a dead line. No new versions is the sign of a dead line, by definition.
Salvation122
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
QUOTE (Salvation122 @ Mar 23 2005, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 23 2005, 04:59 AM)

Not really, no.

You misunderstand me. I'm twenty. I'm the oldest member of my group. Everyone loves the dark eighties-kitsch feel Shadowrun has/had, although we try to shy away from the anime crap that's slowly creeping in.
Eldritch
If one plans on buying all (or most) of the books for SR, then whats the problem with buying this one? Of course new books are for making money. You say that like its a bad thing. Other thing for making money include; new novels, movies, comic books, cars and every other consumer good. Nothing lasts forever and if you expect something to survive, it has to grow, change, and adapt.

The problem is 'have to' vs 'want to'. I didn't have to buy the renraku shutdown book. I didn't - didn't want it in my campaign. I did buy bug city. Wanted it.

New rules are a 'Have to'. If you want to continue with the game, you have to buy the new books.

novels/comics/movies - no I wouldn't pay for a rehash of a book I already own. I own LOTR, I would not by the movie edition of the same novel.

A new version is not the sign of a dead line. No new versions is the sign of a dead line, by definition.

As mentioned, Rifts has survived just as long a SR without a new edition. And they have continued to grrow, expand, and publish new materiel.
Garland
I reject the idea that SR should be held to the "standard" of Rifts. Cool ideas and art, horrific system.

Edit: Forgot the period.
Arethusa
Bullshit. If you want to keep playing SR3, you go right ahead. No one can stop you.

Hell, you don't even need to own any books to play. The only person who really has to have access to books for significant periods of time is the GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012