Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR: Reloaded or Revolutions?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GrinderTheTroll
I've been thinking about the whole up-and-coming SR4 and it dawned on me about how this is going to be FanPro's first shot at creating a new rules set. Have they created any new RPG systems or just maintained existing ones like SR? I don't know if any of the original FASA developers are even around or where consulted for SR4, so this could be a very different product (with more than the names changed to protect the innocent).

What I am hoping for simply this: That they've (FanPro) looked at what has made SR successful and addressed many of the issues that are still outstanding rather than the simple "reboot" and start over approach. I have a sinking feeling more than just the Matrix are getting a complete overhaul and am still trying to comes to terms with losing the whole traditional "decker".

Would be interesting to see what resources FanPro tapped to make SR4 a reality. One of my biggest fears is they take the opprotunity to "try something new" for sake of giving us something new to chew on instead of building on a great legacy of gaming.

It's all paranoid speculation for now, I actually can't wait until the new version comes out so I can either celebrate: Not having to buy more rules books, or about how kick-ass it will be.
Ancient History
<shrug> One thing about SR is that, through 2 new editions, they've kept enough of the system recognizable and compatible so that older players can convert and keep playing. The actual system has been changed (in my opinion improved) considerably, but the basic tenents are still there. I'll wager the new edition will be similiar: change everything they can change, with enough familiar for us old-timers to convert without busting a vein.
Patrick Goodman
Actually, it's more like "Evolution." It's not a reboot of the universe, it's not starting over from scratch. Everything is advancing, yes, but it's the same world and the same story.
Siege
But would it still be classified as radical and revolutionary, indeed worthy of a complete overhaul?

-Siege
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Siege)
But would it still be classified as radical and revolutionary, indeed worthy of a complete overhaul?

In my (admittedly somewhat biased) opinion, yeah. I'm not writing for this, at least not yet, just playtesting it, but the writing team is definitely trying to make it worth the effort. I'm hoping that we playtesters will get some leeway to talk a little more about things very soon, so I can stop being so damn vague. I hate having to hem and haw around things, but legal agreements are like that sometimes....
Siege
Ya know, as long as it isn't duplicating the d20 system, I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt.

If it is...I've already commented on the need for a "pulling the trigger" smiley.

-Siege
GunnerJ
PG's comment on another thread that the new system rates a 6 on a scale from 1 (identical) to 10 (completely unrecognizable) is... well not troubling, but ominous.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Ancient History)
<shrug> One thing about SR is that, through 2 new editions, they've kept enough of the system recognizable and compatible so that older players can convert and keep playing. The actual system has been changed (in my opinion improved) considerably, but the basic tenents are still there. I'll wager the new edition will be similiar: change everything they can change, with enough familiar for us old-timers to convert without busting a vein.

Therein lies my concern.

The previous versions where under FASA control, the rules had already been written. What I am striking at is, what will a pure FanPro product look like versus a mature FASA one?
Digital Heroin
It's not like they pulled a Laura Croft on this ("I woke up this morning and I just hated everything."). There has been a long process in developing this new system, no doubt. We have to trust that the writers and rulemakers have done their homework, and tried to preseve the integrity of the game. If that wasn't their intent, no doubt FanPro would scrap SR altogether and develop something different.

PS: I just had to go with the cheesy movie references. biggrin.gif
mfb
it's Lara, you non-geek.

and it's worth pointing out that the "mature" FASA run brought us catgirls and marsupial pouches. personally, until i hear different, i'm willing to accept goodman at his word when he says that the system hasn't mutated into something horrible.
Arethusa
"I woke up this morning and I just hated everything"? What the hell? Tomb Riader written by Camus?
Digital Heroin
Just because Edios can't spell, doesn't make me a non-geek, eh.

Arethusa: Movie reference, after the special ops raid on her mansion.
Kanada Ten
Well, FanPro has produced the Dark Eye, though I don't know anything about it. It's rather recent.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Well, FanPro has produced the Dark Eye, though I don't know anything about it. It's rather recent.

That was a translation of a German-language fantasy game from across the pond. Most of us don't have a whole lot of use for it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
PG's comment on another thread that the new system rates a 6 on a scale from 1 (identical) to 10 (completely unrecognizable) is... well not troubling, but ominous.

It should be less ominous than all that, really.
GunnerJ
It's just that I'm very used to, and attatched to, the dice roll vs. TN to generate successes system. I see threads of info about 2D6 rolls for attributes, and while it doesn't sound bad, it sounds like kind of a big leap, and makes me a bit anxious.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
It's just that I'm very used to, and attatched to, the dice roll vs. TN to generate successes system. I see threads of info about 2D6 rolls for attributes, and while it doesn't sound bad, it sounds like kind of a big leap, and makes me a bit anxious.

That's actually Decipher's CODA system (2D6 + skill).

The new SR system is not like that; Bull was being facetious.
GunnerJ
I know he was joking, but there was some speculation that because it was the second time someone "in the know" brought up the 2D6 thing, there may be a grain of truth to it. But it's not worth speculating over until concrete details emerge.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
The new SR system is not like that; Bull was being facetious.

Well that is good to know. <wink>

As for mine own completely uninformed opinion (what can I say, I've been busy for a few years now and out of the loop). The folks at FANPRO that are developing the game are, for lack of less colorful terms, born out of the original Shadowrun. And while all of us may/may not agree with their general direction/take on something, that doesn't mean that they aren't going to try their darndest to make the game enjoyable for as many people as they can.
Bull
Many of them aren;t exactly fresh off the farm, either...

Rob Boyle was Assistant Editor on the original SR3. A fair number of freelancers and playtesters involved now were involved with SR3 to some degree.

There are a lot of new faces, but there is still some experience there to temper that.

Bull
Cain
Welcome back, K.

Out of curiosity, Bull, how many of the SR4 staff were around for SR2 or 1? Or are otherwise old-timers, like you or me or Paolo. (There's only a handful of people on this forum who started playing SR1, let alone started in the 80's. What percentage of the new team have that kind of history with Shadowrun?)
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Cain)
Welcome back, K.

Out of curiosity, Bull, how many of the SR4 staff were around for SR2 or 1? Or are otherwise old-timers, like you or me or Paolo. (There's only a handful of people on this forum who started playing SR1, let alone started in the 80's. What percentage of the new team have that kind of history with Shadowrun?)

Did I work on it back when? No. I've been playing role-playing games for more than 25 years, though, and I've been playing Shadowrun since its release in 1989. I started working on it as a freelancer with SR3 and, specifically, Man & Machine.

As I mention on my playtesting blog (link in my sig, updates hopefully forthcoming very soon), we're all fans. We're not planning on doing anything to hurt the game, since we all love it.
Grinder
That's good to hear. And as you and surely a lot of the other playtesters and writers are around at dumpshock, you know what we, the fans, are complaining about and waht we want re-designt. And waht we don't want. Like d20. smile.gif
Synner
I echo Patrick's comments. I'm one of those new faces among the freelancer crew who came aboard half-way through SR3 (actually its been three years and quite a few books now, I wonder when I'll qualify as an old-timer?), but I've been playing since 1990 (it took SR1 a few months to work its way to my corner of the world) and I've been an active contributor to the community and DSF since it called itself the Deep Resonance Forums and wore funky Christmas tree colors.
Grinder
And you're doing imo a fine job smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Synner)
I'm one of those new faces among the freelancer crew (actually its been three years and quite a few books now, I wonder when I'll qualify as an old-timer?)....

It's a state of mind, Synner. You're an old-timer if you consider yourself one; as for me and my perceptions, I'm glad you're on board.
Solstice
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 25 2005, 10:27 AM)
There's quite the hew and cry going on at the Dumpshock forums regarding the upcoming SR4. I don't have time right now, but I know that about 99% of it seems, to me, to be nothing but people ranting and bitching about something they don't actually know anything about. I'm hoping, in my copious unstructured free time, to be able to address this. For now, though, I just want to say this:

Guys, we (the guys playtesting and writing Shadowrun 4th Edition) are fans of the game, too. We love Shadowrun and wouldn't deliberately do anything we thought would hurt the game. We're trying to bring it up to snuff with the world around us, which has largely outstripped it in terms of the tech available to us now. We're trying to give it a longer life by making it possible to bring new players in without having to explain that every single system in the game uses different rules, some of which are impossible to use.

So apparently we are a bunch of idiots with invalid concerns. Gee you'll have to excuse me if I don't 100% trust the "all-knowing, all-encompassing, all-loving" game developers. It's not like a system hasn't been screwed up before.

"It's ok kids, no need to be scared, it's just a completely different system than the one you've played and loved (and cursed at) for years."

Well if we should just "shut up and trust you" why don't you get a little more forthcoming with the ol' (er..new) information there my curmudeonly friend.
Demonseed Elite
We can't be more forthcoming with any information. Not possible. We signed NDAs when we started freelancing or playtesting and should we choose to ignore those, we're basically out on our asses. Myself, I enjoy the writing thing, so I'll be sticking to the NDA.

There's a lot of valid concerns out there and they are definitely heard by the writers and playtesters and taken into the discussions. There's also a lot of speculation. Some is fairly accurate, some is wildly off-base. And we can't say which is which.
GrinderTheTroll
There's quite the hew and cry going on at the Dumpshock forums regarding the upcoming SR4. I don't have time right now, but I know that about 99% of it seems, to me, to be nothing but people ranting and bitching about something they don't actually know anything about. I'm hoping, in my copious unstructured free time, to be able to address this. For now, though, I just want to say this:

Here's how I think he meant to end this sentence: "Fuck you."

More "thank you oh great developers" threads please. love.gif love.gif love.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Solstice @ Mar 25 2005, 01:16 PM)
So apparently we are a bunch of idiots with invalid concerns.

You care to point out to me, Solstice, where I said that you're idiots with invalid concerns? Since, looking at my blog entry you quoted, I never said that. I said a lot of people were bitching about something they don't know anything about, which is true. There's not enough information out there right now. And yet, the bitching about things that haven't been mentioned continues.

Doesn't make you idiots with invalid concerns, but it doesn't mean you're not bitching about something you don't know about, either.
Gee you'll have to excuse me if I don't 100% trust the "all-knowing, all-encompassing, all-loving" game developers. It's not like a system hasn't been screwed up before.

"It's ok kids, no need to be scared, it's just a completely different system than the one you've played and loved (and cursed at) for years."

Won't be the last system to get screwed up (if in fact it gets screwed up), either. Your point?

I'm not asking for 100% trust. I don't give that out, either, except maybe to my mother and my wife-to-be, so I don't ask for it. I am asking you, as I said in my blog, to give the writers and playtesters the benefit of the doubt. You're assuming that it's automatically going to be screwed up, based on nothing, which implies that you don't think any of us who are working on the thing are worth our weight in spit or that we're going to deliberately screw things up just to spite you. You'll have to excuse me if I don't take that very well.
Well if we should just "shut up and trust you" why don't you get a little more forthcoming with the ol' (er..new) information there my curmudeonly friend.

Who said I was your friend? You presume too much.

And as I can become more forthcoming, I will. As Demonseed mentions elsewhere, I'm under a legal agreement not to discuss things unless the Powers That Be (in this case, Rob Boyle at FanPro) has cleared them. I'm ready and willing to talk about a lot of the new system, but I haven't been given the go-ahead and I like being a freelancer for FanPro, so I'm not going to jeopardize that. As soon as I get the go-ahead, though, you'll hear it here first.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Mar 25 2005, 01:31 PM)

Here's how I think he meant to end this sentence: "Fuck you."

I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind, but it hardly seemed diplomatic or productive.
More "thank you oh great developers" threads please.  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif

I don't really need a love-fest based on nothing any more than I need a shitstorm based on nothing. I thank you for the sentiment, but I'm more inclined to want to have people love or hate the book (and the production and development team) on its own terms. Which they can't do right now because there's not a book yet.
GrinderTheTroll
Bah c'mon Pat, don't get all bent, I just having some fun at your expense.

It reminds me Christmas as a kid when you want to know what you are getting but no one is telling. That and many of us have been through games that used to be good and got screwed up along the way.

More "thank you oh great developers" threads please.  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif

I don't really need a love-fest based on nothing any more than I need a shitstorm based on nothing. I thank you for the sentiment, but I'm more inclined to want to have people love or hate the book (and the production and development team) on its own terms. Which they can't do right now because there's not a book yet.

This was meant sarcastically all the "X is so great" threads make me sick.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Bah c'mon Pat, don't get all bent, I just having some fun at your expense.

I'm not all bent, at least not at you; I took your post as polite and friendly, as I think it was intended. I am a bit irritated by some other folks, but that's going to happen.

I would appreciate it, though, if you wouldn't call me Pat. That's what my mom and my grandmom call me; everybody else (even my fiancee) uses Patrick, which I very much prefer. Thanks.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I would appreciate it, though, if you wouldn't call me Pat. That's what my mom and my grandmom call me; everybody else (even my fiancee) uses Patrick, which I very much prefer. Thanks.

Damint man you just loaded my AK-98 with APDS with one sentence... vegm.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)

Damint man you just loaded my AK-98 with APDS with one sentence... vegm.gif

I fail to see how, but as long as it's not pointed at me, then I don't much care.... devil.gif
Solstice
No, it's not that I don't trust you or think nothing of you. Quite the contrary. But I don't know why you seem angered and surprised by all the wild conjecture thrown about. Would seem a natural reaction given that no effort is being made to quash the more negative rumors (unless they contain at least some truth).

It's really about whether SR4 will generate a negative spin or whether judicious use of key tidbits about the upcoming changes can be used to generate positive spin and anticipation. Refusing to comment is almost the same as admitting it's true.

One question: I understand the use of NDA. Why the secrecy? I admit I'm a bit ignorant to the game of RL corporate intrigue but wouldn't anything potentially valuable (corporate knowledge, trade secrets and whatnot) already be covered under a copyright or patent already?

Penta
Possibly not. Copyright doesn't apply to books, as I understand it. Nor Patents.
Solstice
QUOTE (Penta)
Possibly not. Copyright doesn't apply to books, as I understand it. Nor Patents.

I don't see how that is possible. What keeps everyone from bootlegging "legal" copies of any book?
Demonseed Elite
Ideas are not protected by copyright. Text is. But SR4 is not a book yet, it is still ideas. So it's not protected. So if I were to post here "Here is what we plan to do with SR4...", that's not protected. Someone else could run with that idea and use it.

But there's also more to it than that. SR4 isn't done yet. Mechanics are still being discussed, tested, and changed. So, if someone were to come out and say "This is how we're doing it" and then two days later, after testing, it's changed, well, then people come back and complain that it's not what they were told.
Solstice
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Ideas are not protected by copyright. Text is. But SR4 is not a book yet, it is still ideas. So it's not protected. So if I were to post here "Here is what we plan to do with SR4...", that's not protected. Someone else could run with that idea and use it.

But there's also more to it than that. SR4 isn't done yet. Mechanics are still being discussed, tested, and changed. So, if someone were to come out and say "This is how we're doing it" and then two days later, after testing, it's changed, well, then people come back and complain that it's not what they were told.

Well that explains some things. Thanks.

See how easy that was? biggrin.gif
otaku mike
QUOTE (Bull)
There are a lot of new faces, but there is still some experience there to temper that.

And we will listen religiously to your divine words Great Old One wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

It reminds me Christmas as a kid when you want to know what you are getting but no one is telling. That and many of us have been through games that used to be good and got screwed up along the way.

I think that sums it up pretty well. I always try to sneak peaks at any presents out there. I don't deal well with anticipation.

Although I do think some of the anger over not knowing what's coming is a bit over the top. We could just wait patiently, but then we'd just be discussing the ins and outs of a rules system that is about to be defunked more or less.
Really I think most of us just want to see our concerns addressed, and we know that you guys can't really do that just yet. Just give us what you can when you can, and we'll try to keep the bitching to a minimum.Really. Honest.... I think...
Shadow
You (the devs and freelancers) are asking for a lot of trust while giving us precious little to go on. Now I am not saying I don't trust you, cause I do. But you ask for trust right after you announce for 4th ed, which by the way, you have been denying working on for over a year.

I am sure there are reasons that you denied any plans for a 4th ed. I am sure they are valid and practical. But you still 'lied' to the community when asked about it. So you might want to consider that when you are asking for peoples trust.

I know you all love the game, I know you all think you know whats best for it. But the only difference between you an me is that you work for Fanpro and I don't. So your version of 'love' out ways mine. While I have liked a lot of the the books FanPro has put out (Sota and MJLBB) I think the direction you have taken on some of them is way different then I would have gone.

So bear in mind that all the players on DSF feel the way I do, we all love the game, we all think we know whats best, and we all don't want it to get ruined. So of course given very little info we are going to speculate and argue about every thing.
Commiekeebler
Here's a novel idea, folks.

Instead of complaining and arguing about things we know nothing about (the 4th edition), let's channel that energy into complaining and arguing about things we know everything about - the 3rd edition!

That way, the devs get to hear about everything that is broken in the current rules (as if they didn't know themselves) and most importantly, things that aren't broken, things that work, things that are "keepers" that we'd all hate to see gone.

Because devs read this forum, right? And then maybe our thoughts about the game as it is now will steer you folks in the right direction?
Solstice
QUOTE (Commiekeebler)
Because devs read this forum, right?

I think "troll" was the word you looking for...

wink.gif
Dizzo Dizzman
Okay, here is a question that might not break the NDA to answer:

Did this SR4 thing break way too early? I know somebody posted on dumpshock about a cover for SR4 and the next day it appears on the website with precious little about what the changes would be (and I'm honestly not trying to be critical).

I'm wondering if this thing got out of Fanpro's hands by accident. I would have expected some kind of announcement of SR4 that included more details about the rule system, if nothing more to prevent the kind of wild speculation that has been happening on dumpshock.

P.S. I do totally agree that the longer you let people speculate without giving them some kind of info (if nothing more than a "hey you're way off base!") the more paranoid everyone gets. Not that you can do anything about it Patrick (and the rest of the freelance crew), but I do wish the powers that be in FanPro would give y'all a little more leeway to at least tell us when we're totally wrong.
Demonseed Elite
I'm wondering if this thing got out of Fanpro's hands by accident.

No, it didn't. When I was told about it early, they told me the exact day and time it would be announced (Tuesday during GAMA, noon Vegas time). And that's when it was announced, so it definitely wasn't a case of it getting out when they didn't expect it to.

As for rules, speculation, and all that, it's not really new. I remember all the wild craziness when D&D 3rd edition was announced, before anyone knew what was going on with it. Though I do expect you'll see some postings soon giving some more information, since the structure of the dev blog appears to be basically up.
Dizzo Dizzman
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Dizzo Dizzman @ Mar 27 2005, 06:01 PM)
Did this SR4 thing break way too early?

Seeing as back on March 1st, they posted a FAQ that unlike the previous FAQs had no wording to the effect of "There are no plans for SR4", I think they were gearing up for an announcement soon after. It's true that no one picked up on the missing wording in the two week window between the 1st and the 15th, but sooner or later, someone would have noticed, and would have started asking questions about it.
Fortune
There's no way it could have been kept a secret after unveiling the news at GAMA. Logically speaking, the announcement to the community at large had to be planned to coincide with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012