Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage Codes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GrinderTheTroll
One of the things I like about SR is how damage is represented with the Damage Codes. You can almost immediately know by looking at them how powerful a weapon is instead of having to calculate if "2d6" was better than "3d4". My only real reservation is how little room SR leaves to fine-tune them. The idea i've toyed with changes a few things but keeps inline with existing SR mechanics.

Here's my idea: Scale up Power Level, Wound Level, Total Player Boxes and Armor Ratings by a factor of 10 and replacing "L", "M", "S" and "D" with numbers instead.

This allows for "more room" and flexiblity in determining Power and Wound Levels. 5L becomes 50L or 50-10, 8M becomes 80M or 80-30. Armor would work in the same manor; 5/3 becomes 50/30. To determine the TN for the Resistance and Dodge Tests, you'd need to divide the resultant Power Level by 10 (round up). In the interest of streamlining SR4, this could be applied across all damage calculations.

I think this would allow all sorts of weapons and ammunition types to exist and still keep the system relatively simple. This would also introduce a new variable way to tweek Wound Level since now you could take over Light and under Moderate (11-29) damage.

Some example Damage Codes:

5L = 50-10
9M = 90-30
12S = 120-60
18D = 180-100

You could also have things that don't currently exist and could let ammo type directly adjust these values:

55-15 (between L and M)
95-25 (just under M)
120-65 (just over S)
190-90 (just under D)
jklst14
I like the idea. I could definitely imagine them implementing a similar system encorporating an increased number of damage levels.

For example:

Condition Monitor = 20 boxes

Trivial Damage = 1 box
Light Damage = 2 boxes
Moderate Damage = 6 boxes
Serious Damage = 12 boxes
Crippling Damage = 15 boxes
Deadly Damage = 20 boxes

What I would personally like to see is a system where you could be shot, soak all the physical damage but still get knocked off your feet and take stun damage from the bruising force of the bullet hitting your armor vest. I'm not sure there would be an easy way to implement this sort of idea however (short of having weapons do both stun and physical damage, which would be rather cumbersome...)
Arethusa
I don't mind the idea of more precision. Precision is, really, something that the current system is all but incapable of. Grafting 100 'hit points' of damage levels onto that system, however, is unnecessarily cumbersome. Especially when you go that far and don't bother addressing far bigger issues, like penetration and resistability being inextricable when, in reality, they're quite often inversely proportional. Three part damage codes before any of this.

Dev question: any chance any of this is being addressed in/considered for SR4?
surfskin
what about a damage location.

1: Head
2: body (torso)
3: Left Arm
4: Right Arm
5: Left Leg
6: Right Leg

Or some variation there of.

just a thought
Smiley
Careful. Hit location is a much-debated topic and there is a poster or two here that gets their panties in a wad over it.

Our group has no problem with hit location and uses them regularly. It can be a useful houserule and adds more flexibility to combat.
Sandoval Smith
I use hit location in that when an attack causes damage, I roll 2d6, look at my chart, and tell them that's where they took the wound, and then they can role play that out as they see fit. Hit locations are rarely used in SR because as the system stands, it would tend to slow down combat even more, especially one you start figuring in determining armor over various body parts.
Arethusa
If you do hit locations, you need to rework the armor stats ahead of time. That's about as obvious as saying "I should probably work out gun stats before my players start shooting them."
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (surfskin)
what about a damage location.

1: Head
2: body (torso)
3: Left Arm
4: Right Arm
5: Left Leg
6: Right Leg

Or some variation there of.

just a thought

From my personal experience, hit locations add ALOT of complexity, more so that it's worth unless you really like to spend ALOT of time calculating combat.

Anyone here ever play Harnmaster? It's definitely combat intensive, time consuming and very reaslistic.

Interesting enough in Harn, you don't have Hitpoints either, you just keep taking damage and the damage adds to your Attribute Rolls for things like death, bleeding, falling down, dropping things etc. It definitely adds some degree of realism I've never seen before, but it comes at a price.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I don't mind the idea of more precision. Precision is, really, something that the current system is all but incapable of. Grafting 100 'hit points' of damage levels onto that system, however, is unnecessarily cumbersome. Especially when you go that far and don't bother addressing far bigger issues, like penetration and resistability being inextricable when, in reality, they're quite often inversely proportional. Three part damage codes before any of this.

Dev question: any chance any of this is being addressed in/considered for SR4?

I liked the "factor 10" since it still make the math easy enough to convert back for the Resitance and Dodge rolls. I know the numbers get big, but I think it's a necissary evil to extract the extra detail.
Fortune
What's the rationale for multiplying the Power by 10, since it doesn't seem to factor into anything and just ends up being divided again?

Why not just convert the Damage Code to a number and multiply it by 10 as you have done, but leave the Power alone?
Austere Emancipator
I toyed with this idea, a Damage Level scale from 0-100, for modern (2004-5) Shadowrun. I don't think I liked it, because it's really hard to figure in the same quick progression from "Light" to Deadly with just 6 net successes while yet not allowing a "Serious" to stage far, far into Over-Deadly with the same or making Deadly damages unstagable to nothing -- unless you work in really quite complicated rules.

Still, I do like the basic idea of it, and if someone has better ideas on staging with such a system than just "+X boxes per success", I'm listening.
DrJest
I'd tentatively put my hand up for a return to the variable staging codes. At first I was happy with the flat Staging 2 of SR2 and later, but now I'm not so sure.
RunnerPaul
I don't mind if they kept the flat 2 for staging up but had a variable for staging back down.
Ol' Scratch
I'm going to be really surprised if staging still exists in the new mechanic. At least in the same way we're currently familiar with it. I know it'd have been one of the first things I would have looked at in the name of streamlining.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Still, I do like the basic idea of it, and if someone has better ideas on staging with such a system than just "+X boxes per success", I'm listening.

That's in essence what my idea would allow. Although I really like the idea behind L, M, S and D, I think that doing "X" boxes of damage instead of one of the 4 pre-designated levels would allow for some variety.

I suppose replacing the damage categories with a number would also work without the need to multiply things, but it still leaves less room to toy with the power level.

Also, I suppose penetration values could be affixed as a suffix to show how much "additional" armor is pierced with the ammunition type. Damage codes would then resemble old SR1 types "9M1" or "9M3" but instead of staging, it would just be additional reduction of Armor used for determining Damage Resistance.

Adding this value into my revised idea, the format would be:

(Power Level)-(Damage Level)-(Armor Piercing)

You'd have something like:

5L = 5-1-0
9M = 9-3-0
12S = 12-6-0
18D = 18-10-0

Ammo Typing might adjust only the (Armor Piercing) value or perhaps adjust all 3 values per ammo characteristics.

5L = 5-2-1 (hollow point perhaps)
9M = 10-4-3 (FMJ)

etc.
Austere Emancipator
How would staging work with your suggestion? I don't need to see actual numbers, but I would like to see the function in detail. Because I really don't like the idea of just adding or reducing the damage dealt by # boxes per net success.

As for armor piercing, you'll want to have a lot of variance, starting with attacks which actually increase any armor present, such as shotguns firing shot, through HPs (which might add a bit to armor), FMJs (which may add or reduce, based on the weapon in question), and different AP bullet designs (which may reduce armor by a bit or by a lot), as well as a number of other common and special munitions in the mix. If even pistol JHP attacks have a positive Armor Piercing value (ie. they reduce armor by X), then you'll end up with insanely high Armor ratings to maintain balance.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
How would staging work with your suggestion? I don't need to see actual numbers, but I would like to see the function in detail. Because I really don't like the idea of just adding or reducing the damage dealt by # boxes per net success.

I can see it working either as it currently does (2-successes re-apply the Damage Level "X" again), or that each success add to the Damage Level, so 5-1-0 with 5 successes would do 6 boxes damage.

The shortfall of the second method is how hard it wuld be to kill someone with a Light Pistol and less than 9 successes, although someone with the sole intent of killing you might use all their Combat Pool. You could take this a step further and allow for Damage Level "bonuses" for conditions like "Point Blank", "Prone", "Called Shot" or "Aiming", but that might just slow-down things.

As for armor piercing, you'll want to have a lot of variance, starting with attacks which actually increase any armor present, such as shotguns firing shot, through HPs (which might add a bit to armor), FMJs (which may add or reduce, based on the weapon in question), and different AP bullet designs (which may reduce armor by a bit or by a lot), as well as a number of other common and special munitions in the mix. If even pistol JHP attacks have a positive Armor Piercing value (ie. they reduce armor by X), then you'll end up with insanely high Armor ratings to maintain balance.

The fact is Armor Piercing is not an easy thing to simulate in a game system, espcially in the name of "streamlining". My proposition was simply a stab at adding some detail for Armor Piercing where none exists. I've only defined 3 elements to attempt and define this (Power Level, Damage Level and Armor Piercing) but I suppose you might need more dimensions to make a more realistic representation.
UV-Host
Iīd love a revised combat/damage system in SR4.
The old SR damage system sucks imho, since itīs possible to reduce damage to nothing by rolling Body. Thatīs something i never understood. You were hit by bullets and were able to take no damage. Crazy stuff...
I love condition systems, like in SR or Cyberpunk or old World of Darkness. Thatīs something they should keep.
Oh, and hit location would be cool, too. You know what? Just take the CP 2020 damage system, itīs not perfect but itīs deadly enough for a game like SR and is very easy and fast to handle.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (UV-Host)
The old SR damage system sucks imho, since itīs possible to reduce damage to nothing by rolling Body. Thatīs something i never understood. You were hit by bullets and were able to take no damage. Crazy stuff...

Although off-topic for the point of my thread a few comments:

I think you've missed the whole concept that SR gives you what few other games do: A chance to do something about taking damage.

SR is abstract enough that you can say your body armor absorbed the damage (your case and point) or that the bullets are now lodged in the butt-end of your rifle. The point is, YOU got to do something other than stand there and suck-up a +5 Vorpal Battle-Axe.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I can see it working either as it currently does (2-successes re-apply the Damage Level "X" again) [...]

Bad idea. Light attacks would then require almost twice as many net successes to stage up to Deadly/10 boxes (10 vs 6), and Deadly attacks would be just awful with 2 successes just about guaranteeing an insta-kill, don't pass Unconscious & Bleeding. And staging down would then have to work with a completely different principle, since you obviously don't want all attacks to be staged down to nothing with just 1 net success after Damage Resistance.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
[...] or that each success add to the Damage Level, so 5-1-0 with 5 successes would do 6 boxes damage.

This makes staging up damage a lot more difficult, and staging down much easier at low DLs and harder at high DLs.

Both mechanisms would also tend to make the Damage Code of the weapon much more important compared to the amount of dice rolled than in canon SR3, which is not a preferred consequence, at least for me.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
You could take this a step further and allow for Damage Level "bonuses" for conditions like "Point Blank", "Prone", "Called Shot" or "Aiming", but that might just slow-down things.

Assuming no hit locations, I'm dead against anything other than an abstract type of Called Shot, such as exists in SR3 (the book). Point blank range, being prone, or taking aim all make hitting easier, which is what should be modeled into the rules, and those then make doing more damage easier.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I've only defined 3 elements to attempt and define this (Power Level, Damage Level and Armor Piercing) but I suppose you might need more dimensions to make a more realistic representation.

Not really. It's just a good idea to have more variance in the AP rating (I call it the Penetration rating in my rules), with both positive (adds # to any Ballistic armor present) and negative (subtracts # from any Ballistic armor present, to a minimum of 0). For example, a shotgun firing shot might be a "+6" (add 6 to armor), while a HMG or heavy sniper rifle firing APDS might be -15 (remove 15 from armor).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (UV-Host)

As I've said elsewhere on the forums, crazy stuff happens all the time. People get shot and still keep functioning.
GrinderTheTroll
Perhaps ammo type would be used for the staging, since after all, the bullet is doing the damage? Maybe the stage-per-success would be affixed to the bullet type? "+X boxes" per succcess for the type of round fired?

[...] or that each success add to the Damage Level, so 5-1-0 with 5 successes would do 6 boxes damage.

So if the bullet-type from the Light Pistol added +2 Damage Level per success, then that would indeed allow 5 succcesses to push the Damage Level to 11 counting successes.

I would assume +2 DL would be common "heavier" round type.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (UV-Host)

It's an abstract system. Mechanically, you reduced the damge. In game, you were hit by the bullet, but you're just so tough, or turned just the right way, that really it was just a flesh wound that barely slowed you down. Or you're simply so tough that a gut shot doesn't even slow you down (thus counts as only a light wound). Or there's the classic 'hero takes the shot in the shoulder.'
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
Or you're simply so tough that a gut shot doesn't even slow you down (thus counts as only a light wound).

If a shot to the abdomen doesn't even slow you down, that could just as well count as no wound at all. The Light/Medium/Serious/Deadly-progression really doesn't do justice to the kinds of traumas you might suffer from as after-effects of a wound, so I tend to consider it simply an abstraction of the immediate effects -- thus even if a gut shot might require medical attention afterwards, if it doesn't cause an immediate drop in performance (enough even to turn "average" tasks "challenging", sr3.92) I wouldn't consider it even a Light wound.

This does have some problems, such as Deadly then necessarily describing a wound capable of killing the average human in a matter of seconds, ie. extensive damage to the heart, the major arteries between the heart and the brain, or the CNS itself. Good thing medical technology has vastly advanced in the 21st century.
Vuron
Also you need to definitely have some comparitive mechanic to overdamage to represent the really nasty wounds that come about via high end weaponry. However I think people need to be wary of having something akin to regular vs naval damage as tbh it kinda smells like some palladium sdc/mdc mechanic.

However there does need to be some improvement concerning how small arms effect vehicles and how heavy weapons effect people as the current system does leave a bit to be desired.

Of course this starts getting into icky issues like critter hardened armor etc which will quickly make a alt system really hard to hash out.

All that being said be very wary of critical hit charts etc as they quickly become unmanageable (think rolemaster) without adding much to gameplay. Further body location charts tend to discourage stylistic roleplaying as suddenly to survive a mission you need to wear a helmet which is sooo not cyberpunk wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Vuron)
Further body location charts tend to discourage stylistic roleplaying as suddenly to survive a mission you need to wear a helmet which is sooo not cyberpunk wink.gif

I get this comment a lot, actually. The way I see it is, the players have to make a decision: To be cool and die young, or be not-cool and die a little bit older. I don't want to force either on them.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (UV-Host)
I love condition systems, like in SR or Cyberpunk or old World of Darkness. Thatīs something they should keep.
Oh, and hit location would be cool, too. You know what? Just take the CP 2020 damage system, itīs not perfect but itīs deadly enough for a game like SR and is very easy and fast to handle.

Staging to nothing does not mean no damage. It means no damage that matters. If you're in melee, it says nothing about little cuts. There could be none, there could be dozens. If you're getting shot, the bullet grazed you or was stopped cold by your armour. If you aren't wearing armour, then it just didn't do any damage that matters.. so they hit you in the chest, it flattened against your ribs, you're bleeding, but the actual damage is nonexistant. Even a light wound in Shadowrun is damage that goes beyond surface injuries.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Interesting enough in Harn, you don't have Hitpoints either, you just keep taking damage and the damage adds to your Attribute Rolls for things like death, bleeding, falling down, dropping things etc. It definitely adds some degree of realism I've never seen before, but it comes at a price.

sounds like how blue planet does it. there you roll 3d10 againt the damage done after armor and burst/auto have had an effect. for every dice that comes out as a success the type of wound changes. a light one just adds -1 to your test (take many of them and you fail all the time. 1 sting may hurt, 1000 may incapitate). a moderate one force you to make a test or pass out (and allso adds a negative to all tests). a deadly one makes you take a "death save", if survived then go to the same test as done for a moderate wound (and again it adds a negative mod to all tests).

no hitpoints, no wound areas (and to increase damage? take a -1 to hit and get a +1 to damage, repeat as you feel needed).

some of the heavyer weapons have so high a damage number that unless your wearing some heavy armor you get a automatic deadly wound with a added modifier to the difficulty of the saves.
Austere Emancipator
For more discussion on what do the various Damage Levels mean, read, uhh, this thread.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Mar 29 2005, 07:39 AM)
Interesting enough in Harn, you don't have Hitpoints either, you just keep taking damage and the damage adds to your Attribute Rolls for things like death, bleeding, falling down, dropping things etc.  It definitely adds some degree of realism I've never seen before, but it comes at a price.

sounds like how blue planet does it. there you roll 3d10 againt the damage done after armor and burst/auto have had an effect. for every dice that comes out as a success the type of wound changes. a light one just adds -1 to your test (take many of them and you fail all the time. 1 sting may hurt, 1000 may incapitate). a moderate one force you to make a test or pass out (and allso adds a negative to all tests). a deadly one makes you take a "death save", if survived then go to the same test as done for a moderate wound (and again it adds a negative mod to all tests).

no hitpoints, no wound areas (and to increase damage? take a -1 to hit and get a +1 to damage, repeat as you feel needed).

some of the heavyer weapons have so high a damage number that unless your wearing some heavy armor you get a automatic deadly wound with a added modifier to the difficulty of the saves.

To delve into Harn a little further:

The location chart is divided as such:

The rows contain body parts (head, hands, feet, knees, forearms, torso, etc.) while the columns are divided into 3 sections: Bludgeoning, Edged and Piercing.

Each section header is then divided into 3 more columns with number ranges for each.

These number ranges are how much "damage" you weapon does (base + 1 to 4D6). You cross reference your "damage" column with the hit location to see what happens.

So if you hit someone in the hand, they need to make a roll to see if they drop what they are holding. An edged (sword) attack to most places results in a roll to see if you start bleeding. Needless to say, piercing attacks to the the Eyes and Throat lead to Kill rolls. These results are number coded (used for the Attribute roll) and color coded (used for determining Injury Points) depending on severity.

The color code is the referenced to a base damage + some random element, and becomes your Injury Points. For every 10 Injury Points, you add +1 to the TN you need to make your various Attribute rolls (see above). With enough Injury Points it just eventually becomes impossible to do anything but bleed and die.

As complex as it is, we still have some vivid memories of lobbing off forearms, fingers, heads. The visual imagery of getting hit the mouth with a mace or taking an arrow in the eye-socket made all of us howl with the sheer gruesomeness of it all.
hobgoblin
heh, hit locations help with picturing damage. thats for sure. but is it realy usefull for much else?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
heh, hit locations help with picturing damage. thats for sure. but is it realy usefull for much else?

It adds the extra realism some people like. I must admit, sometimes I'd like to shoot someone in the leg to slow them down or something like that, but SR doesn't permit these types of things or atleast have any rules to govern the effects.
Vuron
For a random hit location chart you'd probably want to use a bell curve style probability chart which while it's not fitting with the standard dice roll mechanics it allows for a less random insanity.

Example 3d6 chart

3 - Right Hand Shot
4 - Right Foot Shot
5-6 Right Arm Shot
7-8 Right Leg Shot
9-12 Torso/Head Shot
13-14 Left Leg Shot
15-16 Left Arm Shot
17 - Left Foot Shot
18 - Left Hand Shot

You'd probably want to have a second chart on torso/head shots which uses a d6 on which 6s indicate a direct head hit.

Note that I've chosen to have head shots not be 3s or 18s as lets face it assume that someone's roughly aiming at the torso there is a decent chance that the head is going to be hit. Of course not all head shots are going to be the same so the second roll would likely indicate some sort of increased damage power code hit. I'd suggest something like a +3 +1 damage code at a minimum.

Assuming heavy pistols stay at 9m a head hit become 12S.

Of course for multiple rounds hitting this becomes difficult as realistically you'd want to get rid of the burst fire and automatic fire modifiers (or change them to a TN modifier) but then you'd have to roll to hit for each bullet which would increase resolution time alot.

With this type of system you'd likely want to make the TN modifier for called shots quite a bit higher or make the called shot be something like a +/- 2or 3 to the 3d6 roll for location and direct head hits occur on 4-6 on the second hit for a torso shot. That way you have increased lethality on called shots but not instakills. Further I'd make called shots incompatible with burst fire or automatic fire as even with enhanced ballistic capabilities it would be stupid for a gun to remain that accurate on an extended burst. Pretty much this would be the province of heavy duty pistoleers and sniper types rather than the samurai with the valiant LMG. Of course called shots with shotguns should be practically unattainable unless you are at ridicolously close range which gets into the whole dodge thing.

Further you'd likely want to add in some way of burning karma to avoid sniper rifle instakills or changing the dodge rules so that you can force rerolls on called shots etc.
GrinderTheTroll
I don't think anyone is at a loss for how to do it. The argument is really, "Is it worth it?"
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Vuron)
You'd probably want to have a second chart on torso/head shots which uses a d6 on which 6s indicate a direct head hit.

I'd say the less rolls the better. If you're going to add a hit location roll, at least make sure it's a single, stand-alone roll. My current hit location chart for ranged combat looks like this:
3, 4, 5: Critical Torso Hit (+1 DL) (Spine, Heart, Lungs)
6, 7: Left Leg (No Over-Damage)
8: Left Arm (No OD)
9: Right Leg (No OD)
10, 11: Chest
12: Abdomen
13: Right Arm (No OD)
14, 15: Hip
16: Head (+1 DL)
17: Face (+1 DL)
18: Eyes (+1 DL)

Of course that's not completely intuitive, the optimal situation would be a clear progression from down to up (legs -> head) or from up to down (head -> legs), or with torso and head in the middle as with your table. Personally, I have to have a hitloc table with equal likelihoods for both arms and both legs, which makes building an easy table a bit more difficult.

You can always do a search for "hit locations" to find plenty of past threads on the subject as related to SR. You can be sure it won't happen in canon SR4, though, since so many are against it and it doesn't exactly fit the "more streamlined" approach that seems to be stressed.
Vuron
Ohh it would require a huge redoing of large areas related to combat as armor would likely need major revision unless full body ballistic armor becomes the norm in the future. Factor in damage boxes for various body parts and it becomes very clunky very quickly. Not that it's inherently bad it just becomes a much more specialized product whose target audience is largely limited to gun fanatics (I mean even more than it already is wink.gif)

It's worth a fan netbook down the road if people can get off thier butts though.
mfb
if you absolutely have to have a shot placement mechanic, why not just use the attack roll? take the highest die on the shot. if it's 1-2, you hit the arms; 3-4, you hit the legs; 5-6, torso; 8+, headshot. simple, vaguely skill-based, no extra dice.
mintcar
No hit locations! mad.gif Details are for roleplaying. smile.gif
Vuron
QUOTE (mfb)
if you absolutely have to have a shot placement mechanic, why not just use the attack roll? take the highest die on the shot. if it's 1-2, you hit the arms; 3-4, you hit the legs; 5-6, torso; 8+, headshot. simple, vaguely skill-based, no extra dice.

Considering the probabilities of a high skill character rolling an exploding die you'd pretty much have a headshot every combat action. Assuming you have some enhanced mechanic for headshot damage high skill characters suddenly become that much more deadly. It's not a bad idea but suddenly a high end firearms skill plus init boosters creates the high probability of TPK situations. I'm not saying that having a supremely skilled rifleman with init boosters being able to slaughter huge numbers of combatants regularly doesn't have a level of versimilitude it just transforms the game in huge ways.

Remember that anything that increases randomness also tends to disadvantage the party over time as suddenly the gangers you used to laugh at can really slot up with a few random shots.
GrinderTheTroll
One of the few times I thought it would come in handy would be for shooting someone is the leg to slow them down. As SR stand now, someone at 9-stun, 9-physical boxes can still run full-speed.
Arethusa
Jesus, did Patrick just refuse to answer this thread because he knew what would happen if he didn't even grace it with a "sorry, no answers; NDA, you know"? Did he just want to fuck with me?

QUOTE (Vuron)
Ohh it would require a huge redoing of large areas related to combat as armor would likely need major revision unless full body ballistic armor becomes the norm in the future. Factor in damage boxes for various body parts and it becomes very clunky very quickly. Not that it's inherently bad it just becomes a much more specialized product whose target audience is largely limited to gun fanatics (I mean even more than it already is wink.gif)

No. As I went over repeatedly here, realism and detail are not worthless, nor do they necessarily preclude wide appea.. Shitty, sloppy design precludes wide appeal.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Jesus, did Patrick just refuse to answer this thread because he knew what would happen if he didn't even grace it with a "sorry, no answers; NDA, you know"? Did he just want to fuck with me?

I'm not trying to fuck with anybody, Arethusa. I didn't chime in on this because I don't have anything to say. Combat rules are very much in flux right now.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Vuron)
Ohh it would require a huge redoing of large areas related to combat as armor would likely need major revision unless full body ballistic armor becomes the norm in the future. Factor in damage boxes for various body parts [...]

Armor definitely has to be redone, but that won't lead to any additional complications, just an additional "Coverage" attribute for all pieces of armor. Separate damage boxes for different body parts are in no way required, nor necessarily even realistic.

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Combat rules are very much in flux right now.

I guess that's a good thing.
mfb
QUOTE (Vuron)
Considering the probabilities of a high skill character rolling an exploding die you'd pretty much have a headshot every combat action. Assuming you have some enhanced mechanic for headshot damage high skill characters suddenly become that much more deadly.

assume not, lest ye be assumed. with a system like this, it'd be foolish to include enhanced damage for headshots.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2005, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 29 2005, 05:10 PM)
Jesus, did Patrick just refuse to answer this thread because he knew what would happen if he didn't even grace it with a "sorry, no answers; NDA, you know"?  Did he just want to fuck with me?

I'm not trying to fuck with anybody, Arethusa. I didn't chime in on this because I don't have anything to say. Combat rules are very much in flux right now.

Easy there. Wasn't serious.

Though, now that you've said that, is there anything you can say without violating your NDA (in terms of issues being looked at, general design paradigm, etc)? Or is it still that vague?

[edit]

Same question here.
Vuron
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Vuron)
Considering the probabilities of a high skill character rolling an exploding die you'd pretty much have a headshot every combat action. Assuming you have some enhanced mechanic for headshot damage high skill characters suddenly become that much more deadly.

assume not, lest ye be assumed. with a system like this, it'd be foolish to include enhanced damage for headshots.

Heh include a damage location chart and not have increased damage or penalties for certain types of shots the realism police will beat you with a sack of d20 modern books.

While it's not absolute I've never seen a location chart that doesn't attempt to factor in stuff like bullet enters brainpan and turns cerebellum into cottage cheese please begin to build a replacment character.

Of course the thing is that there are competing interests at stake here people who want grim and gritty modern combat rules (think something like millenium's end) vs those people who don't want combat rules getting in the way of a good time. Ultimately it's always a tradeoff when you develop a system trying to stay between those two desires.

Typically what that leads to is a base rule set with an optional rules heavy combat system in an secondary sourcebook. If that's what SR goes to I'm not sure that's inherently bad.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Though, now that you've said that, is there anything you can say without violating your NDA (in terms of issues being looked at, general design paradigm, etc)? Or is it still that vague?

I think I'd be walking on thin ice about it right now, but I'll see if there's anything I can tell you. No promises.
mfb
QUOTE (Vuron)
Heh include a damage location chart and not have increased damage or penalties for certain types of shots the realism police will beat you with a sack of d20 modern books.

the extra damage is handled by higher numbers of successes. a guy with skill 3 is unlikely to get many headshots, and it also unlikely to kill people with a single shot. a guy with skill 6 is more likely to get headshots, and more likely to get one-shot kills. if the guy with skill 3 lucks out gets a headshot, but doesn't kill his target, it's a glancing hit. i don't think a guy who gets a single success on a headshot should have a reasonable chance of killing his target--one success means you winged his ear. that's not a deadly wound.
FrostyNSO
Even shots that hit the skull itself (esp. from pistols) have decent chance of glancing off (though not as much from short range), and anything too low in the head may not be enough to kill the guy (but usually incapacitate him. Usually).
Arethusa
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Vuron)

the extra damage is handled by higher numbers of successes. a guy with skill 3 is unlikely to get many headshots, and it also unlikely to kill people with a single shot. a guy with skill 6 is more likely to get headshots, and more likely to get one-shot kills. if the guy with skill 3 lucks out gets a headshot, but doesn't kill his target, it's a glancing hit. i don't think a guy who gets a single success on a headshot should have a reasonable chance of killing his target--one success means you winged his ear. that's not a deadly wound.

Unfortunately, we've still got the problem with gangsters and 3 year olds that would never be able to accidentally kill anyone.

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I think I'd be walking on thin ice about it right now, but I'll see if there's anything I can tell you. No promises.

Thanks, regardless of what you can or can't come out with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012