Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Essential Cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DrJest
I'll see your "eewww" and raise you a "yeeuuurrgghh"
Krazy
Full compliment on eyes and ears (maybe just my game-style but many lives have been saved by hearing footsteps, guns cocking and the such) and as for sound dampening, in my game I re-invented the current flash bang (why FASA didn't I'll never know) so sound dampening is a must in ambush situations.
smartlinks, and optical are great (how many blocks is 60 meters? why do you need 2,000 m range?)
I prefer boosted reflexes, and I permit upgrading but the calculations are a bit convoluted.
high rating headware radios are a must. (ever run six characters in four different parts of a building?) but they need to be encrypted
as for how cyber ears look, I figure that they are common enough that people notice, but don't really care (get cosmetic mods so they look like the originals) and they don't know whats in them anyway.

I'm not a big fan of cyber-weapons, but my games usually involve players getting weapons taken away "Hey bring over the chainsaw we got us another sammie!" but the gamma and finger-tip injector, very nice. makes the pick-and-roll much easier.

oh and eye lights aren't that great. they may be polarized to that a person can only see the source of they are looking into it. by that rationale, you would only be able to see about a two inch circle of light. (and what about dust in the air?) for pitch blackness, everybody's on thermal for long range, lowlight for close range, and with as many lights on as possible. just like that post about taking the tac-nuke into the creepy mutant infested research lab. I use a modified cosmetic mod to make my eyes glow merely for intimidation purposes.
Weredigo
Nothing Really, I've got no problem playing a character completely unmodified by either Cyberware, Bioware, or Magic.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 30 2005, 03:22 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I know it's bio-ware, but I'm a big fan of the mneumonic enhancer.

It's one of the most broken pieces of ware in the game. You might as well proclaim your undying love for the Ares Viper Slivergun or a smartlinked, SPAS-22 toting adept.

I also think that the memory trigger cyber (whatever it's called, basically turns off your short term memory) is a neat idea. You'd think Johnson's would be a big fan of that. Talk about deniability. The team doesn't even remember. No lose ends, no having to pay an assasin.
I wonder how many shadowrunners would actually be willing to use it. hmmm...

Kinda like getting dosed with Lase' after each run.

Anyone seen the movie Paycheck?

Unless your runs normally take place in the span of half an hour, beginning immediately on meeting your employer, I'm not sure why you'd think this is a good idea.

The silver guns a waste. Any armors and a decent body, and you might as well be spitting at them. If you think it's broken, don't use it. It's in the book, so I do. It's nice for mages too. Help off-set their high karma requirements a bit.

Data filter:
"The data filter blocks the flow of information from short to long term memory. THe user cannot later recall or remember anything that happened while the data filter was active. This device is popular with influential people who need to have aides or secretaries present during confidential proceedings:such employees are fitted with a data filter that can be remotely activated"
"the drawback to data filters is that the user is distracted while it is activated and cannot remember anything for more than a few minutes."
Game effects
While active, a character with a data filter suffers a +2 perception modifier and will not remember anything that occurred later. Data filters can be set to deactivate after a certain length of time (the subject will not remember to turn it off).

NO half hour limit. The +2 modifier can be a killer though. I've never actually used it, but it seems like an idea with some potential. I see johnson's as being big fans of teams that can and will use this and still function properly.

Obviously there would be logistical problems with any run taking more than a day or so, but a short term run, could be good.
Kagetenshi
The silver guns a waste. Any armors and a decent body, and you might as well be spitting at them. If you think it's broken, don't use it.

I have no idea how things like this get started.

Unless you're talking security-grade armor, this is completely false. Twice impact armor is almost never more than one point above ballistic armor. It'll do just as much as a normal pistol, only with a silencer, burst-fire, and a massive magazine, all with good conceal.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
Salvette Gaurdian w/ silencer and extended clip

Only advantage for the SG is the built in silencer. Good for unarmored gangers though
Shockwave_IIc
The thing is with the Data Filter (as much as i like think it's a cool gadget) is that would you be able to increase your skills based on things you learn? (which i know is not strickly canon). Would you remember the revalation that it's always the blue wire that you cut? Or the quickest way to clear a jam that you found out?
Kagetenshi

Does the word "conceal" ring a bell?

~J
fistandantilus4.0
like I said, the benefit of the built in silencer. smile.gif

Yeah, the gaurdian isn't really a 'conceal' style weapon.
shop for the occasion I guess
Critias

Only advantage for the SG is the built in silencer. Good for unarmored gangers though

Except for the fact the Slivergun's actually burst-fire capable. Not as a Complex Action, but genuinely Burst-Fire capable. And, as was mentioned -- just how big of an "extended magazine" does a Guardian need to come close to a Viper's capacity?

And...of course...let's compare pricetags, hmm?
fistandantilus4.0
30 rnd to I think 18 ? no book in front of me though.

Price for 2 HP's is not that big of deal, even w. index,

but yeah, that complex action is a good point.
Do flechette work ok with a Gas vent?
fistandantilus4.0
wasn;t this thread about cyberware? I'm still interested in the potential for the data filter (or problems/lack of potential)
Arethusa
Canon places no restrictions on flechette and gas vents. And the AVS has a mag capacity of 30 rounds.

Don't try and think about it too much.
Critias
I'm not (quite) on the "OMG it's so broken!!!!" bandwagon, but I do believe there's certainly nothing innately weak about the mamajama, either.

With the ability smartlink-II's give (and the "bypass armor" called shot rules), the flechette-only weakness is largely ignorable... making for something you can aim for a simple action with, and then fire a 12D armor-bypassing burst (at TN 3) with, that's quiet, concealable, and has a big enough clip you can do exactly that ten times before having to reload (and if the fight's not over after 10 12D armor bypassing +1 TN to dodge bursts, fired at TN 3, then you needed something bigger than a handgun, anyways).

Which might not be game breaking, I guess. Maybe. Quite. But is certainly not worthless.

Edit -- but, anyways. Yeah. Sorry. Off topic. I stand by my "full suite of cybereyes/cyberears" as the chrome I miss the absolute most, when I'm using a character that hasn't got it. Smartlinks are nice, dermal sheating is good to have, enhanced articulation is very very handy...but it's the eyes and ears that ache when they're missing.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Modesitt brings up a good point too: what *do* you use an Image Link for, other than the smartlink dot or the stopwatch/crhonometer function of the Math SPU (which can just as easily be a display link as they're just text). Do you need one for the vitual dashboard you get while datajack driving? Are there any other reasons to have one?

I had a character with an eye camera and image link use them to help him sneak into places.

He looked around a corner just long enough to take a photo - then looked at the image while hidden, zoomed in on details, etc, to determine where guards, cameras, cover, etc was.
toturi
A datajack. Anyone going cyber should get at least a datajack, even Mr Cyberzombie Robocop has one. biggrin.gif
Tarantula
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Canon places no restrictions on flechette and gas vents. And the AVS has a mag capacity of 30 rounds.

Don't try and think about it too much.

True, but I think the AVS has its silencer occupieing the barrel customization spot, which prevents it from getting gas vents.

To be clear: As far as flechette goes, its all fine and dandy, just the AVS inparticular can't get the gas vents, due to its silencer.
phydaux
My favorite Sam PC ever has exactly this:

Boosted Reflexes III

Cyber Eyes with Low Light, Flair Comp and Magnification III

Smartlink II

Predator II w/ Concealment Holdster & Extra Clips

Cahones like Big Brass Bells

(sometimes a silencer and gel ammo)

I tried to play him like Yojimbo. He never went out looking for a fight, but he never backed down from one, either.

And if ge got into a fight and lost, I'd always ask the GM "What new scar does my character have?"

Sometimes he got the snot beat out of him, but after several runs he ended up with quite a street rep (and a face that looked like a street map).
Straw Man
Knowsoft Link. If you don't know why, you probably need one.
Demosthenes
wasn;t this thread about cyberware? I'm still interested in the potential for the data filter (or problems/lack of potential)

Problems?
Watch Memento...
Nikoli
Oh man, that'd be a great NPC. Has a filter, but doesn't know it...
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 29 2005, 02:14 PM)
Transducer.

Dual datajacks.

That's pretty much my standard gear for all characters, too. Magicians included. I usually throw in an obivious Cyberforearm with a Pocket Secretary and oodles of storage memory, too, but that's more of a stylistic preference than a "must have."
Kagetenshi
I should try that sometime. Thus far I've gone entirely cyberlimbless, but there's so much neat stuff to be done.

~J
Eyeless Blond
So long as you keep in mind that cyberlimbs are mainly useful as mobile concealable storage units and have nothing to do with actually enhancing your body in any way cyberlimbs are dead useful. Just don't try to make your cyberlimb as strong as your meat limb, for any melee/Str-based character.
Nikoli
I wish they'd make those cyber skates like they did the guns, where you can finally install them outside of a cyberlimb.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Oh man, that'd be a great NPC. Has a filter, but doesn't know it...

Hell of a "Mysterious Cyberware" flaw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012