Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any reason I shouldn't allow...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
phydaux
Is there any reason I shouldn't allow a Physical Adapt to bond a weapon focus that adds to his Unarmed Combat?

Something like a ring, or bracelets or nylon hand wraps?
Kanada Ten
I'm leaning towards allowing it, though I wouldn't let it stack with Killing Hands. It, the ring or whatever is a weapon, and thus an attack with such is not just unarmed.
Sharaloth
Tricky. I might allow it, but I'm with K10, no stacking with KH. The force of the odd Weapon Focus (more like a unique enchantment that works like a weapon focus) adds dice to the Unarmed Combat skill being used, and allows for attacks against spirits, basically acting just like a normal weapon focus for such purposes. Still... tricky.

Edit: for clarification, I had a really odd idea of what stacking with KH might mean. After thinking it through for a bit, I realized that I was already assuming that KH would work just fine with one of these odd Weapon Foci, and what I was trying to say was that the odd Weapon Focus would not add to the damage dealt. That would remain normal for the Adept in UC (KH or no).
toturi
How are you going to resolve damage? A weapon focus is supposed to deal damage.
Ol' Scratch
Nope, it works just fine in my experience. I don't even require it to be an actual "weapon," just something to help them focus their abilities, such as a headband or belt or the like.

Whatever advantage they had without a focus is the same as their equal opponent had without a focus. Give them both a focus, and they're on the exact same footing they were previously.
Cain
I agree with the Doc. It's not unbalanced to let a weapon focus work with unarmed combat, and it's not broken to let it stack with killing hands.
JaronK
Well, Hardliner gloves as a focus would work nicely...

JaronK
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (JaronK)
Well, Hardliner gloves as a focus would work nicely...

That's what I'd suggest instead of a bracelet. I had a character with a weapon focus based on them. Reach 0, (Str+1) M Stun is hardly unbalancing.
phydaux
QUOTE (Cain)
I agree with the Doc. It's not unbalanced to let a weapon focus work with unarmed combat, and it's not broken to let it stack with killing hands.

I tend to agree.

After all, all the weapon focus does is allow you extra dice for your combat test. I just wanted to see what the consensus here was.

Here's a quick Q:

Do the dice from a Weapon Focus refresh like Combat Pool dice, or are they usable every action like skill dice? Is it the same for a Spell Focus or a Power Focus?
toturi
QUOTE ( p191 SR3)
An active weapon focus adds its Force to its owner's appropriate combat skill when wielded in combat.
phydaux
toturi, I don't understand the point of that post.

If a character has a skill of 6 and a Force 4 Weapon Focus, then the character can roll 10 dice in melee (plus up to six Combat Pool dice).

I thought we all agreed on that. What was the point you were trying to make?

Unless you were replying to my question on Focus dice "refreshing"?
toturi
QUOTE (phydaux)
Unless you were replying to my question on Focus dice "refreshing"?

I would have thought the point of my post would be obvious. Yes, it is to your question on Focus dice.

If a character has a skill of 6 and a Force 4 Weapon Focus, then the character can roll 10 dice in melee (plus up to six Combat Pool dice).

I think your assertion that only 6 combat pool dice can be used is wrong. The Weapon Focus adds its Force to the melee skill itself. Therefore as long as the weapon focus is active and touching the owner, his skill is base skill + force. So 10 combat pool dice.
phydaux
QUOTE (toturi)
The Weapon Focus adds its Force to the melee skill itself. Therefore as long as the weapon focus is active and touching the owner, his skill is base skill + force. So 10 combat pool dice.

Hmm...

I don't mind a little powergaming (like using a Weapon Focus to enhance your Unarmed Combat) but the GM in me doesn't like letting people throw 20D6...
Tanka
QUOTE (phydaux)
QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 1 2005, 12:24 AM)
The Weapon Focus adds its Force to the melee skill itself. Therefore as long as the weapon focus is active and touching the owner, his skill is base skill + force. So 10 combat pool dice.

Hmm...

I don't mind a little powergaming (like using a Weapon Focus to enhance your Unarmed Combat) but the GM in me doesn't like letting people throw 20D6...

This assumes they have 10 Combat Pool, and also that they don't care if they get shot to bits the next pass.
phydaux
QUOTE (tanka)
This assumes they have 10 Combat Pool, and also that they don't care if they get shot to bits the next pass.

10 combat pool dice is the bigger assumption.

The way I play MY PhysAdepts is I don't attack. I wait for the other guy to attack me, then throw ALL my combat pool into the counter attack.

If I get more successes, then I injure him. biggrin.gif

(Although ties DO go to the attacker...)
Fortune
QUOTE (phydaux)

Well, that's the way it works for all Weapon Foci in canon.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (phydaux)
the GM in me doesn't like letting people throw 20D6...

An adept probably should be throwing that many in anything except unarmed (assuming you're using the advanced melee rules), so it doesn't bother me too much. If a physad starts with 5 edged weapons/6 survival knife and 4 points of improved ability they will be able to easily toss 16 at char gen. It doesn't take much karma to boost that 5/6 to 5/8. 8 skill+4 IA+8 combat pool is easily possible.
Sharaloth
QUOTE (phydaux @ Apr 1 2005, 12:49 AM)
the GM in me doesn't like letting people throw 20D6...

It depends on the power level of your game. In my rediculously overpowered game 10 Combat Pool is the average among the PC's (Uniformly high Int, Will and Quickness scores, usually with one in the 8-9 range and the other two at 6). There's one PC who has the 8 point Ambidexterity and a specilization in swords of 8 and a force 3 weapon focus in his lead hand. He throws 15 dice into melee tests without putting a single combat pool die into it. The killer Sammy has a hand cannon specialization (unique super-heavy pistols made specially for him) at 12, and usually fires a bunch of of no-combat pool potshots at whoever he wants dead to waste their combat pool before throwing 22 dice into a called shot for the poor slot's head. At one point, I actually had to roll all 40 of my personal d6's on a single test for an NPC (I can't remember if it was an attack on one of the players or a damage soak roll or what, I just remember the player's eyes going wide as I grabbed the whole pile of dice and started shakin'...)

On the other hand, in a lower-powered game, such shenanigans would be rediculous and probably not happen often.
hyzmarca
Weapon foci gloves are less unbalancing than all otehr types of weapon foci in the hands of an adept. If fact, they're pretty much a requirement if you use the two weapon combat rules in CC. An ambidexterious Samurai with paired monoswords can go toe to toe with an Unarmed:6 IA:6 adept. An ambidexterious adept with paired monoswords would slaughter an unarmed adept. Between the reach bonus and the potential extra dice the unarmed adept has given up a lot.

Sure, with a weapon foci 6 and 18 karma you can have a begining unarmed adept throwing 18 dice + combat pool.
However, with a weapon foci 6 and 24 karma an ambidexterious sword adept could throw 27 dice + combat pool at -1 TN. Make him a whip adept and its -2 TN. Give him a second weapon focus 6 and he's throwing 36 dice before combat pool.
Fortune
Fresh out of chargen, even without a Weapon Focus, an Adept could throw 23 dice for melee (or even more, depending on how you rule Off-Hand attacks in conjunction with Improved Ability).

Melee Weapon Skill 5/7 = 7
Ambidexterity or OffHand Weapon Skill = 3 (+ another possible 2)
Improved Ability (Melee Weapon) 5 = 5
Enhanced Articulation = 1
Combat Pool = 7

For a total of 23 (or 25)

If you rule that Cultured Bioware can be had at chargen, add another dice for a Reflex Recorder.
toturi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Sure, with a weapon foci 6 and 18 karma you can have a begining unarmed adept throwing 18 dice + combat pool.
However, with a weapon foci 6 and 24 karma an ambidexterious sword adept could throw 27 dice + combat pool at -1 TN. Make him a whip adept and its -2 TN.

Do remember to Attune your weapon focus for added goodness.
phydaux
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Make him a whip adept and its -2 TN. Give him a second weapon focus 6 and he's throwing 36 dice before combat pool.

Yes, but as the reach of the weapon goes up, so does its cost. This was my initial problem with allowing a focus for Unarmed Combat to begin with - No Reach makes the focus way cheap (Nuyen wise).

Some people felt that using the dice from the focus with Unarmed Combat and Killing Hands was cheesy. Well, I don't find it any more cheesy that a Diacoated Katana Weapon Focus.

"Hmm, a (STR)D or a (STR+3)S? What would I rather roll 20 dice to hit someone with?"

And TWO Weapon Foci? Ain't happenin', Bub. That's munchkinism of the worst sort.
phydaux
QUOTE (toturi)
Do remember to Attune your weapon focus for added goodness.

What does Attune do?
Fortune
QUOTE (phydaux)
What does Attune do?

It's a Metamagic that let's an Adept attune himself to particular items (each item type is a different Metamagic), granting him -1 TN to use it. It costs Karma to Attune an item, depending on the OR of the item itself.

It's described in SotA '64.
Fortune
QUOTE (phydaux)
And TWO Weapon Foci? Ain't happenin', Bub. That's munchkinism of the worst sort.

Why? It's perfectly within the rules to use two Weapon Foci.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (phydaux @ Apr 1 2005, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 1 2005, 02:08 AM)
Make him a whip adept and its -2 TN. Give him a second weapon focus 6 and he's throwing 36 dice before combat pool.

Yes, but as the reach of the weapon goes up, so does its cost. This was my initial problem with allowing a focus for Unarmed Combat to begin with - No Reach makes the focus way cheap (Nuyen wise).

Some people felt that using the dice from the focus with Unarmed Combat and Killing Hands was cheesy. Well, I don't find it any more cheesy that a Diacoated Katana Weapon Focus.

"Hmm, a (STR)D or a (STR+3)S? What would I rather roll 20 dice to hit someone with?"

Reach 0 weapon foci start at 190,000. That's not cheap. At force 4 they are 460,00. If you're going to go that far you might as well get 1,000,000 nuyen of resources and spend the extra 280,000 to get a reach 1 force 6. If your're going to be a one trick pony you might as well go all the way.
Besides, there are plenty of reach 0 weapons that make good foci. The Couger fineblade comes to mind. It does STR+1 M. A Sap Focus does STR+1 M Stun, just like the hardliner gloves. If you aren't going to deny foci to edged weapon adepts and blunt weapon adepts there is little reason to deny them to unarmed adepts.

Also, I am aware of nothing in canon that prohibits two weapon foci. Cheesy yes, but technically legal.
phydaux
QUOTE (Fortune)

First rule of being a GM - Just because the rules allow it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Fortune
Meh. It costs quite a bit of Karma, which makes the character weaker in other aspects of the game. I never had a problem with it in my games.
Critias
That's an awful lot of karma, money, and just plain attention for a character to sink into a gimmick ability ("being good in melee"). It's nice and all, sure, but hardly game breaking. All someone's gotta do is, y'know, shoot the maniac with the sword, and the problem is solved.

I don't call anything people try to do to just handle the "being good in melee" schtick cheesy or munchkinny, because it's ultimately a one-trick gimmick sort of thing. It means the character is aimed more towards style and cool factor than raw, brutal, combat effectiveness. It means the player at the very least has a strong concept and mental image in mind. Let 'em go ahead and pull whatever they wanna pull in that direction, I say.

If someone really wants to spend a hojillion nuyen, dozens of skill points, most of their adept improved ability dice, a ton of karma, etc, etc, on something that can be countered and trumped by a decent handgun and a few combat pool, more power to 'em.
toturi
QUOTE (phydaux)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 1 2005, 02:32 AM)

First rule of being a GM - Just because the rules allow it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

No, the first rule of the GM is for the players to have fun. If you players are having fun playing munchkin PCs, you suck it up and do your job.
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (toturi)

No, the first rule of the GM is for the players to have fun. If you players are having fun playing munchkin PCs, you suck it up and do your job.

Amen.
Straw Man
Depends on the situation. What if one player's having fun playing a munchkin, but the other players are getting shut out because he's covering all of the bases? I host MunchkinRun games sometimes, so people can get out that crazy Shamanic Magical Adept with the VCR3, Encephalon, and a slide whistle geasa, and shake it out of their system. Then we go back to playing the dark, brutal world that I see Shadowrun as. Both are viable playing styles, but I find the latter more fun.
Austere Emancipator
The first rule also includes the GM having fun. If the players cannot have fun at the same time as the GM, better just walk out.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Straw Man @ Apr 1 2005, 09:50 AM)
Depends on the situation. What if one player's having fun playing a munchkin, but the other players are getting shut out because he's covering all of the bases? I host MunchkinRun games sometimes, so people can get out that crazy Shamanic Magical Adept with the VCR3, Encephalon, and a slide whistle geasa, and shake it out of their system. Then we go back to playing the dark, brutal world that I see Shadowrun as. Both are viable playing styles, but I find the latter more fun.

I think Toturi said:

I don't think his statement applies to a situation where only one player is having fun while the others are being shut out... He did use the plural form of the word player...

:cyber
And GMs count as players (you sit at the table, you roll dice, you're there to play the game as well - it's not like GMs are professional referees or something...)

[Edit]A_E beat me to it.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The first rule also includes the GM having fun.

Now that deserves the amen.
toturi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The first rule also includes the GM having fun. If the players cannot have fun at the same time as the GM, better just walk out.

If the GM isn't having fun, he isn't GMing. GMing is fun, either you have fun or you force yourself to have fun. Either way, the GM has fun.
phydaux
QUOTE (toturi)

If you're a GM who enjoys hack & slash, then sure.

If you're a GM who enjoys role playing and character & plot development, then you find other players.

I've been playing and GM'ing since '79. I've had good RPG groups and bad RPG groups. Life is too short (at least mine is, now) to suffer munchkins.

Remember, the GM is playing too, so he also gets to have fun. wink.gif
phydaux
QUOTE (toturi)
If the GM isn't having fun, he isn't GMing. GMing is fun, either you have fun or you force yourself to have fun. Either way, the GM has fun.

To that, I have five words:

Knights of the Dinner Table

Sometimes, because of players who are pin heads, GM'ing is NOT fun.
JaronK
Something to mention... since Weapon Foci add to your skill directly, with Ambidexterity they actually add more than their force in total dice. Consider: Adept with Edged Weapons 6, duel weilding with a force 6 sword in one hand. His effective skill in Edged Weapons is 12 due to the sword, and his offhand adds 6 dice (since his main skill counts as his Offhand skill with Ambi 6). So he went from 9 dice total (6 main, 3 off) to 18 dice total (12 main, 6 off) for a total increase of 9 dice. Yikes. If he's dual weilding, his offhand focus weapon can be a knife or dagger, so it's got lower reach (and is cheaper), and will still add Force * 1.5 dice. Yowie.

It's still perfectly legal, and a guy with a pistol and enough distance can blow him away. It's also really costly.

JaronK
phydaux
QUOTE (Critias)
If someone really wants to spend a hojillion nuyen, dozens of skill points, most of their adept improved ability dice, a ton of karma, etc, etc, on something that can be countered and trumped by a decent handgun and a few combat pool, more power to 'em.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, eh? Not even a katana? biggrin.gif

One of the things I've always likes about Shadowrun is how it balances melee, missile and guns.

If I want to play a character that used a bow and arrow and take that character on a run through the shadows, then I can. Sure a gun is better but the bow and arrow is still good (WAY better that it would be in real life).

Same for the guy with a sword, the Troll with Titanium Bone Lacing or the Adapt with maxed out Unarmed Combat and Killing Hands. With decent armor and better than average Initiative & Reaction you can hold your own up to SMGs and Heavy Pistols.

Now if the other guy has an AK or a SPAS, well then you're just boned...
phydaux
QUOTE (JaronK)
So he went from 9 dice total (6 main, 3 off) to 18 dice total (12 main, 6 off) for a total increase of 9 dice. Yikes.

And if his weapon of choice is Knives, and he has TWO knives that are BOTH Force 6 Weapon Foci, his Unarmed Combat skill becomes 18 for a total of 27 dice when using the knives in both hands.

And if the knives are Diacoated (and why wouldn't they be?) then he's swinging for (STR+1)S damage.

And if it were two Diacoated Weapon Foci Spurs, then it would be (STR+3)S damage rolling 27 dice plus Combat Pool.

Munchkin Fu at its finest.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (phydaux)
two Diacoated Weapon Foci Spurs, then it would be (STR+3)S damage

[Edit]Cyberspurs do (STR)M Damage, (STR+1)S when Dikoted. Depending on the GM, you may well get (STR x 1.5 + 1)S in addition to the +50% dice with dual Dikoted spurs.[/Edit]
toturi
The (STR x 1.5 + 1)S is in the SR3 rules, meaning they aren't optional, anyone with the main rulebook(anyone playing the game) should be using unless houseruled. The 50% more dice is "optional" since some people are playing without Cannon Companion.
Austere Emancipator
I wasn't talking about what's canon or not, what's "optional" and what isn't. It's simply a fact that some GMs do not allow both 50% more dice and +50% STR to Power.
toturi
My point was that some GMs was more willing to accept the 50% STR than the 50% more dice, rather than vice versa.
Lantzer
When dealing with pair cyberweapons in melee, I generally give the player the choice round-to-round between using the rules to give a boost to strength, or to give a boost to dice.

The rules in the basic book don't allow for 2-weapon fighting with anything _but_ paired cyberweapons, and the Cannon Companion doesn't mention how it's two-weapon rules mesh with the previous rules. So my approach gives paired cyberweapon folks a boost in flexiblilty over someone with paired knives, for example, but doens't make them hands-down superior in every way.
Ol' Scratch
I allow both just fine.

Again, and just like with Weapon Foci, without Ambidexterity the two combatants are on the same foot as they would be if they both had Ambidexterity. Nothing changes balance-wise by applying the rules directly.

The +50% damage rule was added to 1) give users a reason to even bother with paired spurs and 2) to keep them attractive compared to the more common melee weapons. Dual spurs on a STR 6 character have a Damage Code nearly equal to that of a Katana, for instance (if memory serves -- I'm rusty). So now if you only let one use the Ambidexterity rules, the other suffers. That's not balance.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (toturi)
My point was that some GMs was more willing to accept the 50% STR than the 50% more dice, rather than vice versa.

Oh, OK, that's certainly true. From earlier discussions I have been left with a feeling that there're more GMs who only use the CC rules and ignore the bit in SR3 about dual-cyberweapons than those who ignore the CC rules either completely or just for cyberweapons. And then there's Lantzer's approach, also shared by several GMs, and I think yet a few more possible approaches which I can't think of right now.

I agree with Doctor Funkenstein that in most situations using both rules will only serve to make things more balanced and to make cyberimplant melee weaponry slightly more attractive compared to conventional melee weapons. It only gets silly with really high STRs.
Nikoli
Why does everyone forget the power Counter Attack.
If you are playing an adept that waits to be attacked, this is a godsend. UA combat (Some Specializations) 5/7, IA: UA combat 6, Counter attack 6
7+6+6= 19 dice before dice pool should someone happen to swing at you
toturi
Because the guy might have loaded up on that Death Touch spell?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012