Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6th World Military and international laws
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
boost
Does anyone know if in any of the source material (source books, campaines, novels, etc) that it talks about national military strengths? Like naval sizes (types and #'s of ships), airforce, etc for UCAS, CAS, etc?

Also what would people guess to say about what has happened to international laws such as the Geneva convention? Are they still around and if so, have they been changed or stayed the same? How does it affect goverment/corperate military operations?

I don't have pirates yet (can't find it) but I think a lot of the info I am looking for is in there. I have seen these 2 posts (this thread and this one). They both talk about spec ops and not really number strenghts.

Thanks,
boost
FlakJacket
As far as I know the only really hard and fast numbers mentioned in canon, and quoted in one of the threads you posted, was for the CAS - 6 active army divisions, 2 Marine expeditionary forces, 16 air combat squadrons and two 50,000-tons air carriers based in Charleston and Mobil. Everything else is up for debate - and trust me, round here that means it certainly will be. To death. wink.gif
Pinel
Also what would people guess to say about what has happened to international laws such as the Geneva convention? Are they still around and if so, have they been changed or stayed the same? How does it affect goverment/corperate military operations?

I have nowhere near enough sourcebooks to give you a canon answer (not that it seems to keeps discussions here short) but one can always speculate.

You still have nation states, ergo there's diplomatic representation, ergo there's still a body of law to govern it. I don't buy the concept of "virtual embassies" in SR, except for the smallest and poorest nations who couldn't afford to maintain diplomats abroad or even an honorary consul: the best tech isn't likely to replace a discreet face-to-face meeting when national interests are at stake.

In the SR era we could call it the "Geneva Convention on Diplomatic, Consular and Corporate Immunity". The bigwigs at the Corporate Court being pragmatic, they wouldn't have reinvented the wheel when it came to defining extraterritorial rules, and the current Convention makes a good platform. This means that corporate enclaves with extraterritorial status would be more or less on par with foreign embassies and the residences of diplomats. This would imply a few interesting loopholes with regards to "corporate foreigners". For example, visiting corp employees who are not accredited to the local enclave would not have any special rights outside of such enclave, except if they could prove they were engaged in legitimate corporate work.

I don't see any reason why the bulk of current international treaties couldn't still exist in one form or another, although in SR the monitoring and enforcement of some would be spotty at best (environmental protection agreements would be a prime example). How powerful or weak one portrays the UN and other world bodies in a campaign is largely a matter of plot hooks, IMO.
Crimsondude 2.0
I always treated the Business Recognition Accords as having liberally appropriated from the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations as well as others (e.g., the Warsaw Convention) to the extent that specifically identified megacorporate diplomatic missions and personnel, including those with reagrds to the Corporate Court receive the same protections afforded under the Vienna Convention (i.e., diplomatic immunity).

As for the Geneva Conventions and Hague Accords, they are still to my knowledge in effect. Not that it actually means anything, but they're still technically around.
hermit
Rigger 3 says only the UCAS and Imperial Japan operate large carriers (Nimitz-equivalent). CAS carriers seem to be smaller, likely Charles-de-Gaulle equivalents.

Also, the Germany book lists the Bundeswehr in comparatively great detail, but I won't repeat that here. You all know what I think of that book. sarcastic.gif

I think NAN has some info on the Native states' military, but dunno about how much in-depth it is.

Finally, I'll check Target:Smuggler Havens later for whether it has anything on the Russian forces.
torzzzzz
think there was some stuff in neo anachists guide?

torz smile.gif
Mad Jack
I know that the CAS has the largest standing military in north america (although it is nearly the least technologicaly advanced) and has the majority of the old US "boomer" subs.
Club
Why the @#$%^ anyone would make an aircraft carrier when the whole thing could be taken out by a single thor shot is beyond me. Read House of the Sun (About how Hawai'i separated) if you don't understand my reasoning. Unless you are willing to give every large ship what amounts to an effective anti-ballistic-object weapon system, it's a waste of cash for anything other than show.

The "Crowbars from orbit" are solid objects designed to survive reentry. Can't see lasers heating them enough to matter. Missiles have to deal with bullet-on-bullet; literally, as I can't see an explosive shrapnel cloud doing anything to damage the bar. I don't know enough about particle beams, but don't think it'd do the job.

Seeing the bar would be easy, look for the meteor headed for you. Warning and tracking time would be hard, as the things are stealthed in space, and would probably travel incredibly fast.

End Rant #1 ----------------------

There are a couple ways armies could work in SR, and which one you portray depends on your version of the setting. The UCAS army is the one that can vary the most, as it hasn’t fought a ‘big war’ recently.

One vision is the under-funded army. Corporate enclaves don’t pay taxes, so the revenue of every country is going to take a nosedive, and some items on the budget would have to be slashed. Cranky, older vehicles that eat up huge amount of maintenance money and spend most of their time inoperable, poor training, late paychecks, sundry other problems. They probably do some things pretty well (Snipers and water purification are points for my native Canada), but the grunts suck. There is some cannon about the Chicago containment zone and the R:AS quarantine to suggest that at least some of this is the case for the UCAS.

The other extreme is the well-trained, heavily equipped army. Tanks and APC’s, with a drone rigger in the back of every fourth APC. Troops have smartlinks, low-light and flare-comp, maybe even boosted refs 1. Ares Alpha is being phased in as the standard assault rifle. How big the army is can be debatable, but what they have is a juggernought for its size. How I view the CAS

Finally there is the lightly equipped but elite army, my take on the NAN states. Mostly light infantry, but with an overabundance of the heavy man portables. Tries to keep the troops in training or the field as much as possible. Tries to get shaman in as many units as possible.

Of course, I could be talking out my rear end.

Edit: Sorry, just re-read the subject line. This is supposed to be about treaties and accords, isn't it?
Fortune
QUOTE (Club)
Why the @#$%^ anyone would make an aircraft carrier when the whole thing could be taken out by a single thor shot is beyond me.

Because very few Corps, and IIRC no Nations actually have access to Thor Shots.
mmu1
QUOTE (Club @ Apr 11 2005, 10:44 AM)
The "Crowbars from orbit" are solid objects designed to survive reentry. Can't see lasers heating them enough to matter. Missiles have to deal with bullet-on-bullet; literally, as I can't see an explosive shrapnel cloud doing anything to damage the bar. I don't know enough about particle beams, but don't think it'd do the job.

Actually, I think you're wrong, there. Assuming the "Thor Shot" was just dropped out of orbit (as opposed to fired by some implausible railgun at a serious fraction of light speed, and moving too fast to see and react to), it would need to have very sophisticated terminal guideance to hit a moving target - and that means control surfaces and stabilizers.

Provided you could see it (and even if you made it stealthy on radar, IR sensors on satellites could not possibly miss it) it wouldn't necessarily take all that much to throw it off target.

And this is SR - missile defence is only hard when things like international treaties and Greenpeace weenies prevent you from using missiles tipped with tactical nukes to intercept it - you don't need to be very accurate with those.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)
Because very few Corps, and IIRC no Nations actually have access to Thor Shots.

I know Ares have some Thor platforms. Maybe S-K.... oh no, wait: i'm sure they have one - Lofwyr probably inventend them wink.gif

I guess Fuchi had some back in their good old. Wonder who's controlling them now. But that's not based of knowledge, i'm just guessing.
Dawnshadow
Actually.. if I personally had to come up with an orbital death weapon... I'd be more likely to build an 'Orbital Carpet Bombing System' then an 'Orbital Sniper Rifle'. More expensive to use, but more efficient in terms of 'remove large threats' and harder to counter. I'd have some of the more precise weapons, but in general, I'd rather have the ability to wipe out large areas -- for instance, the entire military division they've just sent out.. or most of the bases.

I don't know about the Corps, but from a military/strategic point of view.. killing one single target, no matter how major a threat it is, is less valuable than wiping out the threat and it's entire support group. Tactically, the single threat is the soundest target.. strategically, the support group is -- drop the group and the threat is weakened considerably, and usually pulls back because conventional weapons can now devastate it.
Krazy
why you would put everything on one boat... airfields don't move very quick. without a good idea of how this "Thor Shot" would opperate but taking whats been said... a ninitz class nuc carrier is pretty much invulnerable to a hull shot (exept for the stern). and not counting nucs. so this weapon would be really usefull for dammaging topside gear, radars and the like. but if these things are heavy enough to do damage, dense enough to not burn up and not guided they are going to have to be numerous. I can't see anyone putting ten tonnes of one-shot ordinance in space. even at cannon cost for low earth orbit. and for what, a non-nuc strike on a carrier? good one, you wanna kill one there are easier ways. using this system you've killed the carrier and alerted the rest of the force, even if you take awa a task force's ability to project force (assuming you hit all of the carrriers) the leftovers are more than capable of kickin ass. they'll just have to change how they do it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
I'd rather have the ability to wipe out large areas -- for instance, the entire military division they've just sent out.

Depending on what kind of division that is and exactly what it is sent out to do, it could well be spread over an area as large as 10,000km^2 (100km x 100km). Of course if they're only moving out they'll be packed much tighter. Still, that's what you've got tactical nukes for.

QUOTE (Krazy)
a ninitz class nuc carrier is pretty much invulnerable to a hull shot (exept for the stern). and not counting nucs. so this weapon would be really usefull for dammaging topside gear, radars and the like.

The Thor would smash one hell of a hole through any ship ever built. It would definitely be capable of sinking a Nimitz-class carrier.

QUOTE (Krazy)
a non-nuc strike on a carrier? good one, you wanna kill one there are easier ways.

Assuming you want to stay away from nuclear weapons, what would you suggest for a Corp On The Go? Conventional warfare in the air, on the surface, or under it are right out.
Krazy
Any group that has the ability to put a wepon in space has the ability to stage a high speed low level air strike on a single target. without radar and a damaged deck a carrier is out of the battle.

please forgive, as I'm unsure of the mechanics of the thor shot. and I suppose I should have mentioned modern converntional weapons striking the hull of the ship as opposed to the deck or stern areas of the vessel, as that's what I meant
Dawnshadow
Nuclear weapons have some serious drawbacks to them though -- flattening an area from orbit would be preferable to a nuclear strike, and yes, I'm well aware that forces can be spread out over a very large area. But, when you don't have to worry about fallout and so on, within an hour every major base can be wiped out, along with a large portion of the fleets and so on. Non-nuclear strikes mean you can use the weapon a lot sooner in the conflict -- nuclear weapons are last resorts.
Austere Emancipator
An air strike on a carrier battle group? You can count me out. Might also want to consider reaction times and cost of maintaining ability to commit such a strike within 48 hours anywhere in the world.

[Edit]Air detonation = negligible fallout. Sure the affected area will be a bit hazardous for quite some time -- but then there's not much point in hanging around in a flattened and burnt wasteland anyway. Not that corps have to worry about large-scale military operations in the first place.[/Edit]
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Actually.. if I personally had to come up with an orbital death weapon... I'd be more likely to build an 'Orbital Carpet Bombing System' then an 'Orbital Sniper Rifle'. More expensive to use, but more efficient in terms of 'remove large threats' and harder to counter.

Dunno, if you target it right and take out their C3I centres or other key targets then a couple of well placed thor shots can be just as effective as the mass bombing approach.
Fortune
QUOTE (Grinder)
I know Ares have some Thor platforms. Maybe S-K.... oh no, wait: i'm sure they have one - Lofwyr probably inventend them

I guess Fuchi had some back in their good old. Wonder who's controlling them now. But that's not based of knowledge, i'm just guessing.

Ares and SK are definites. I don't recall Thor Shot capability being possessed by Fuchi, or anyone else for that matter.
Nath
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ares and SK are definites. I don't recall Thor Shot capability being possessed by Fuchi, or anyone else for that matter.

QUOTE (Target:Wastelands - page 79)
Only Ares and saeder-Krupp are confirmed to have Thor shots for sure. Fuchi used to have a couple, but after the breakup it's believed they got decommissioned (a parting gift from Shikei Nakatomi). One for sure was knocked down out of orbit and is drifting toward the sun.
Fortune
Well, there you go. smile.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Mad Jack)
I know that the CAS has the largest standing military in north america (although it is nearly the least technologicaly advanced) and has the majority of the old US "boomer" subs.

No, they are midle of the road on this one, mate. They ain't up to par with the first tir tech boys, but they ain't yolkes either.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Club)
Why the @#$%^ anyone would make an aircraft carrier when the whole thing could be taken out by a single thor shot is beyond me. Read House of the Sun (About how Hawai'i separated) if you don't understand my reasoning. Unless you are willing to give every large ship what amounts to an effective anti-ballistic-object weapon system, it's a waste of cash for anything other than show.

Why have standing armies after world war two? Really, you can just nuke them,if you wana ...

It is because sometimes you need to project force over a large area and need to do so in the fastest means you can. A large air craft carrier can dominate nearly any sea and large amounts of land.
Grinder
But even the best aircraft carrier can't conquer a country, so you still need a standing infantry army.
Edward
My understanding of thor shot mechanics is that they orbit in space, de orbit under there own power, targeting during early rentery is achieved threw rockets, after that it is purely ballistic (control surfaces that can survive rentery are not feasible on a object designed to preserve maximum kinetic energy). The later part of the flight is unguided but during the beginning of the flight it can select its impact point accurate to a couple of meters

It impacts with the full energy of a bus moving at mach 10+, this should be enough to penetrate the deck, hold and lower hull of any ship capable of staying afloat.

This would allow an aircraft carrier to dodge in the couple of seconds between detection and impact. Hitting a moving target would be easy provided its rate of movement remains constant. Unfortunately the carrier will likely not have enough time to dodge if it wait for confirmation of trajectory.

This will lead to an interesting situation where a fleet of ships about to attack an enemy that “might” have thor shots during a meteor shower and every vessel immediately changes coerce randomly.

Edward
Penta
Zig-zagging. Not unheard of in previous wars.
Edward
QUOTE (Penta)
Zig-zagging. Not unheard of in previous wars.

Of cause if you have a regular pattern to your direction changing you will still be hit.

I can see a military commander with a dice on the bridge of his ship that is used to determine the time on each heading.

Edward
Cynic project
QUOTE (Grinder)
But even the best aircraft carrier can't conquer a country, so you still need a standing infantry army.

But having the ability to move in air support over a large area is rather handy.
Vuron
QUOTE (Edward)
My understanding of thor shot mechanics is that they orbit in space, de orbit under there own power, targeting during early rentery is achieved threw rockets, after that it is purely ballistic (control surfaces that can survive rentery are not feasible on a object designed to preserve maximum kinetic energy). The later part of the flight is unguided but during the beginning of the flight it can select its impact point accurate to a couple of meters

It impacts with the full energy of a bus moving at mach 10+, this should be enough to penetrate the deck, hold and lower hull of any ship capable of staying afloat.

This would allow an aircraft carrier to dodge in the couple of seconds between detection and impact. Hitting a moving target would be easy provided its rate of movement remains constant. Unfortunately the carrier will likely not have enough time to dodge if it wait for confirmation of trajectory.

This will lead to an interesting situation where a fleet of ships about to attack an enemy that “might” have thor shots during a meteor shower and every vessel immediately changes coerce randomly.

Edward

Based upon my understanding of the Thor mechanism it pretty much is a satelite based massdriver system that is basically taking unguided high mass projectiles and throwing them at supersonic speed.

The key advantages is that you can in theory throw a lot of objects rapidly at the earth without having to deal with the power consequences of maintaining stuff like orbital lasers (which also definitely exist). In terms of fine tuning it's more a matter of straddling big objects or leading a target. In terms of actually being able to peg a small manuverable object like a man or a manuverable jet etc would be very limited. The flight time and the fact you can't actually control the objects as they past thier initial firing phase prevent them from being really cool assasination weapons (orbital lasers and various guided missles are preferred for this goal).

So if I have some aircraft carriers and I'm worried my oponent might have thor shots what are my options?

Well they need to be controlled so either they have staff on board the satelite (unlikely) or they need some sort of method for being controlled remotely. That means a decker can be exceedingly useful in crippling effective control of the satelite.

Well let's for a second assume that decking in and taking over the thor satelite is not an option for anyone short of the smiling bandit or fastjack. What other options do I have. Well you can try to destroy the thing with a laser type weapon (either orbital or ground based) or with some modified high earth orbit targeted missle. However actually destroying the satelite isn't absolutely neccesary if you have the ability to blind it with some sort of laser. Note the US and Russian supposedly used to do this type of stuff a bunch during the cold war as it doesn't require a whole ton of power to blind a satelites optical sensors.

So yeah thor shots are scary weapons but still not dealbreakers if you really really want to fuck with someone who has them. Granted you are pretty much saying it's go time if you decide to cripple them but it's definitely within the resources of almost all the megacorps and the big nation states.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012