Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy with SR4 changes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ankh-le-fixer
I m a big fan of shadowrun since 1996 and i m very pleased with the idea of an all new edition and a new system for SR4 (new technology improvements that match the current SOTA, new game system, new way to handle deckers/riggers that is more "realistic" due to the arrival of the all wireless world) .

Although i personnally dont agree with all changes i have seen in the FAQ, it makes me very excited to see the complete work in august (please dont be late smile.gif ) and despite the lots of complaints we can see on dumpshock (with some hardcore geek complaints about very minor changes like "its horrible to change the name deckers to hackers" and stuff like that : there will always be people who dont accept any changes to their favorite game, that s not a problem : they can stay in SR3!), i m sure i m not the only one that is pleased and confident in the SR4 developpers team to make a good game and major changes to the game system but keep what we really like : the shadowrun universe and background

So this message is for the SR4 team to support them in continuing their difficult work and changes notworthy.gif despite the lots of complaints they can see on Dumpshock

PS i just have a question : why name the new derivated attribute of intelligence intuition and logic instead of perception and intelligence, that seems more simple and intuitive.
mintcar
I would like to add my name to the support list. I choked on the 4:th FAQ but I´m allright now, and more excited than I´ve been since before the passing of the dice pools was annonced.

One idea I really like has been voiced here on the board by Eyeless Blond: That you may withhold dice from a test in order to get some kind of advantage until your next action. You could for example withhold dice for extra defencive value, or extra dice on defencive tests if that is how it will work. This is what Eyeless said:
Assuming your dice pool will remain largely under your own control, it makes feasable the ability to withhold dice for various reasons, only one of which would be gauronteed success. For instance, a spellcaster could withhold dice to make his casting less noticable, or maybe to increase/decrease the area of an area effect spell. Melee attackers might withhold dice to increase the Threshold to hit them in melee (fighting defensively). Ranged combatants might withhold dice to make a Called Shot. Maybe someone doing B/R can withhold dice from their test to reduce the base construction time, essentially hurrying the job along deliberately rather than working faster as a byproduct of doing the job well, as is currently the case in SR3?

This is an incredible idea, in my view. And it would fit in nicely with what we have heard so far. Is it something you´ve had in mind? (speaking to developers)
NightHaunter
I'm in the group of supporters as well love.gif .

I'll admit my initial reaction was OH GOD! eek.gif But unlike some others I have got over it.
Every bit of information that get released calms my fears a little more. Myself and my group has the faith.
In fact it can't get released quick enough as far as we're concered(subject to playtesting of course). facelick.gif
So far we're good. smokin.gif
Eyeless Blond
Heh, it's such an ego-boost to have other people actually agreeing with and bringing your ideas up in other threads; thanks mintcar!

At the moment, I'm a little leery of supporting anything about SR4. My problem though stems mostly from the way the information is coming to light, and the growing suspicion that nothing I say here is being taken seriously by anyone who actually has a say in anything about the new edition. I guess it's to be expected; most companies typically do everything they can to ignore their customers while pretending to listen to them--they want you to spend your money on them, but they want to work as little as possible to do so, a natural function of focusing on the bottom line--and I doubt that Fanpro is really any different in that regard. You'd think, though, that with the sheer volume of talent offering tiself here, for free, wanting nothing more than to help make the new version all that we could wish it to be, *someone* would have been listening to what we have to say.

Because, honestly, Fanpro needs the help. There are a lot of creative people working for the company; as I've said elsewhere I have a lot of respect for the creative talent of the current writers and freelancers. From what I've seen in the SR3 "FAQ" rulings, I have serious misgivings about the company's ability with regards to statistics, analysis, or the other logical areas of expertise needed to make a fully coherent and consistent rules system.

The choice, for instance, of basing everything on a static TN 5 system instead of a TN 4 system shows a disturbing lack of forethought as it narrows the range of reasonable Threshold numbers. For evidence, see the paper linked elsewhere on this subforum regarding the statistics of a static TN5 system, and the number of dice required to have an even chance at, say, a ThN of 6. I doubt the things in that paper ever occured to a single member of the SR4 dev team, which is disturbing because statistics and discrete probability is such a huge factor in balance and playability of a system.

But none of this is going to be read by anyone who can make an actual decision regarding SR4, so what's the point?
Solstice
Great the AD&D fanboys are officially here. ohplease.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
But none of this is going to be read by anyone who can make an actual decision regarding SR4, so what's the point?

I read it. Do I win anything? What do I win? Tell me when I win!

wink.gif
Phantom Runner

I'm a big fan of shadowrun since 1996....

Newb!... Hahaha! grinbig.gif

and i m very pleased with the idea of an all new edition and a new system for SR4 (new technology improvements that match the current SOTA, new game system, new way to handle deckers/riggers that is more "realistic" due to the arrival of the all wireless world) .

I must say that the only thing that I havn't specifically liked about the noted updates so far is the change to deckers/riggers. But I don't specifically dislike it either as I can completely see the logic and game decisions behind it all. Especially if the tech level gets a big boost. My gaming group and I were talking about this the other night, basically I thought that in the future a vehicle would most likely be little more than a glorified computer on wheels; with systems such as Autonav, and many others, a car in the SR world would probably be a completely on-line machine. I mean even in today's world we have cars with built in computers, GPS tracking, Autonav, and many other on-line feature. So in the future of 2070 why wouldn't deckers and riggers pretty much be the same thing...if you can hack a database, you have hack a car...

And so far I too think the mechanical changes are a great thing, but I am still a bit leary on how much more will change. Only time will tell...I guess I'm holding on to cautious optimism.

PS i just have a question : why name the new derivated attribute of intelligence intuition and logic instead of perception and intelligence, that seems more simple and intuitive.

Well "Perception" has the very specific connotation of just "noticing details"; whereas "Intuition" can encompass all connotations of Perception and still have a wide enough definition to cover more things. And in truth a person's "Intelligence" is more than just simple logic and any given IQ test will have things that deal with creativity and other "non-cold-logic" aspects of a persons intelligence. So in SR it looks like the devide between Intuition and Logic is more of a distinction between the right and left half of the brain....maybe. Which for game terms is good enough...
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 13 2005, 09:07 AM)

wink.gif

A free trip to Glow City!! nyahnyah.gif
Vuron
Considering that the playtesters and developers that do visit dumpshock have repeatedly said there are still quite a number of rules that are in flux I do feel that it's still possible for the general fan community to have some impact on design choices.

For example if someone posts an interesting mechanic or concept in these forums Adam or DE or Patrick or Synner might go "Wow that's really cool and innovative" and pass it up to Rob who might go "Damn I wish I had thought of it and change the mechanics accordingly."

Basically until we hear that they are working on layout and production I figure there is still a chance (however small) that our input might still have an effect on the end product.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 13 2005, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 13 2005, 09:07 AM)

wink.gif

Yes, but do you count as someone who can change anything? If not, then everything we're posting here is pretty much an exercise in futility.

For instance, among the many discussions here it was mentioned how completely stupid the current "SR4 FAQ" is. It doesn't serve to attract new players because all it does is reference what has changed, which doesn't matter to new players. It doesn't serve to inform existing players of what the new system will be like at all, because there are no actual rules mentioned in the posts. All we get are cryptic references to new in-game vocabulary terms that will be seen in the new rules, which only serve to cause endless confusion and debate, with people trying to dissect the vocabulary words that will be in the new book and reverse-engineer those into what the rules will be, a process that will invariably be wrong but will still cause engless, pointless arguments and confusion. Noone who actually wants to market a book would post up the kind of crap that the "SR4 FAQ" is.

It would be far more productive, interesting to the readers, and better marketing in general to write something like Monte Cook's Design Diaries, which zero in in a specific aspect of the rules and explain it in detail, including the motivations and design considerations that lead up to that decision/set of rules. A design diary entry like that would help people understand the motications and considerations that the dev team put into the rules, and at the very least alleviate the fear some of us have that they simply spread out other PRG books on the floor and threw darts at them, picking whatever mechanics the darts landed on and calling it Shadowrun. nyahnyah.gif

Now, do I expect this to change anything with Fanpro? Of course not. This has been brought up a number of times before and nothing's changed, and I expect nothing to change now. I contend that you, Adam, and indeed anyone who actually reads this post are in fact either powerless to do anything meaningful, or, if not, than be either too lazy or too uncaring to actually change things for the better. And, at the same time, all the suggestions on this board will continue to become more and more disjointed and unrelated to the actual system, because the "FAQs" as presented so far don't actually tell us a damn thing except that you've thrown all the old mechanics out the window.
Nikoli
I actually support this whole shooting match. New editions generate revenue for the company. It's a chance to shake loose the cobwebs of older editions and reach out to a new generation of players that were turned off by the seemingly overly complex rules.

What I'd love to see is a general format followed for the main book and all the splat books afterwards. such as a Table of contect at the beginning, a comprehensive Index for material in the book (not for references to other books) at the end, a reprinting of all tables in various indices. Also, I'd like to see some guidelines on the artwork. i've said it before, but if a piece of gear can't exist by game mechanics, I don't want to see it in an official piece of artwork (artist license is important, but when it causes arguements on gear or vehicles, it's counter productive)

all in all, I'm looking forward to the final product, and if you guys need another group of playtesters, I have a batch of folks willing and able to sign NDA's and be held to them for this.
hermit
For example if someone posts an interesting mechanic or concept in these forums Adam or DE or Patrick or Synner might go "Wow that's really cool and innovative" and pass it up to Rob who might go "Damn I wish I had thought of it and change the mechanics accordingly."

They would, if there weren't intellectual ownership and copyright issues.
Adam
Yes, but do you count as someone who can change anything? If not, then everything we're posting here is pretty much an exercise in futility.

In some cases, yes. I am contributing to SR4 development, and I'm paying close attention here, as I have been since, well, before Dumpshock was Dumpshock.

It would be far more productive, interesting to the readers, and better marketing in general to write something like Monte Cook's Design Diaries, which zero in in a specific aspect of the rules and explain it in detail, including the motivations and design considerations that lead up to that decision/set of rules.

We're certainly going to be more in-depth stuff in the future about specific mechanics and world situations.

There are specific reasons why we're doing the early FAQ entries in the current style, and for those purposes, we're quite happy with it.

Now, do I expect this to change anything with Fanpro? Of course not. This has been brought up a number of times before and nothing's changed, and I expect nothing to change now. I contend that you, Adam, and indeed anyone who actually reads this post are in fact either powerless to do anything meaningful, or, if not, than be either too lazy or too uncaring to actually change things for the better.

Or we simply don't agree on the "right" way to be doing things. The FAQ solution right now is not perfect, but it's generating some great discussion. Also, it's certainly not the only advertising or promotion for SR4 that we'll be doing, as we'll be doing ads in all the major trade magazines, the Origins/GenCon booklet, etc. This is still the early stages of a longer plan.
Club
The developers and playtesters are obviously going to make the system the best that they can. Until proven otherwise, I'll assume that they succeed.

That isn't to say that SR4 won't have bugs; every system has them. It'll probably have at least as many as a "SR3 revised" edition would. But that shouldn't stop the system from being good.

I now go back to my normal, pessimistic self
Vuron
QUOTE (hermit)

They would, if there weren't intellectual ownership and copyright issues.

I'm pretty certain that within US copyright rules and likely the Berne convention that game mechanics themselves cannot be copyrighted. Thus it's perfectly acceptable for other companies to borrow something like Exalted's stunt mechanics and adapt it for thier system (in fact it's been done).

Thus whenever some designs houserules for a game on the internet they really can't sue if someone else borrows portions of those rules for thier game.

What can be copyrighted is the fluffy crap that we surround the base mechanics in but otherwise it would be perfectly acceptable for WotC to say they have the copyright on the mechanic that using a d20 vs a variable TN. This patently is not the case regardless of whether or not you include the OGL.
mfb
QUOTE (Adam)
There are specific reasons why we're doing the early FAQ entries in the current style, and for those purposes, we're quite happy with it.

to get people up and screaming about it, so everybody's paying attention to it. much the same reason i put spiders in my brother's bed!
Aristotle
wow... the voice your support thread became... every other thread in this forum ...in less than half a page. Nice!

I'll voice my support in favor of the intent of the new rules, I'm optimistic about the overall game and hopeful about a game where deckers and riggers become useful participants in fast paced, gritty, action under consistent rules. I'm uncertain about some of what has been posted to date in regard to the new rules, but hope to find my concerns unfounded as more information is released.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Adam)

to get people up and screaming about it, so everybody's paying attention to it. much the same reason i put spiders in my brother's bed!

This is just a theory, but I think they're operating under the (perfectly reasonable) assumption that the more detail they go into now the more current fans they'll lose due to the vocal, overblown hysterics of a few. No matter what they do some segment of the SR3 audience will hate SR4 (or at least rabidly claim to until it's released, the crazy geeks). So keeping hard info down to a slow drip is a good way to try to get people to wait for the final rules before they judge SR4 instead of buying into premature hater dissections.

Three months before press and this is all they have finalized? I doubt it.

Vuron
It seems that while at least some of the people doing damage control would love to go into greater detail about mechanics there are still a pretty decent amount of things that remain in flux. Posting changes that might or might not be implemented is not a great idea as it would confuse people more than they already are.

In general though it sounds like all the playtesters that post here are quite happy with the design choices made and think that it's a significant improvement over SR3 gameplay. Considering that to date these people seem intelligent, well-spoken and genuinely concerned about the game I tend to think that the changes being made do indicate a superior game design.

While internet folk and game forum posters in particular seem to be highly reactionary easily upset people I tend to think maybe placing a little bit of trust in the design team might be a smart idea.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aristotle @ Apr 13 2005, 01:16 PM)
wow... the voice your support thread became... every other thread in this forum ...in less than half a page. Nice!

Haven't you heard? It's illegal to do anything but complain online. Now, Friend Computer has dispatched Happy Fun Teams to bring you to reeducation facility nine. Cooperate and you'll be a happy citizen in no time.

~J
Charon
Are 'Happy fun teams' anything like Team Joy from Feng Shui? Those guy are really dastardly.
Nikoli
Alert! Communist! Requesting paperwork to begin paperwork to request authorization papwerwork to learn about any potential security teams that may or may not be disatched tso that if there are any said security teams I can begin the paperwork to inform them of where the perpetrator went.
Club
The fun thing is, you have to say things like that in paranoia; esp. if it turns into a player killfest.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Vuron)
In general though it sounds like all the playtesters that post here are quite happy with the design choices made and think that it's a significant improvement over SR3 gameplay. Considering that to date these people seem intelligent, well-spoken and genuinely concerned about the game I tend to think that the changes being made do indicate a superior game design.

While internet folk and game forum posters in particular seem to be highly reactionary easily upset people I tend to think maybe placing a little bit of trust in the design team might be a smart idea.

And, for the most part, I have no problem with this (save for my current misgivings about certain Fanpro writer's ability to write good/self-consistent game mechanics). What is bothering me is that every day I'm finding myself less and less interested in SR4 and everything related to it, largely because the stuff that's being fed to us amounts to little more than vocabulary terms. If we had specific bits of mechanics, or at least something describing the considerations being addressed *behind* the mechanics, if the mechanics themselves haven't been finalized, it would be far more interesting than just throwing one-liners at us.
blakkie
QUOTE (Club)
The fun thing is, you have to say things like that in paranoia; esp. when it turns into a player killfest.

Typo corrected. cool.gif
Cain
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with some of the upcoming changes. Heck, I can live with the rigger/decker/hacker thing if those rules get simplified and brought into compliance with the other rules. I like the thought of having to buy up magic. I like the idea that we'll only have one mechanic to deal with, instead of bundles and oodles.

But I'm not happy with the idea of adding more attributes, especially when things are supposed to be simplified. I'm not happy with the Edge idea, since that *will* be a special-case exception mechanic, or won't work anything like the current karma pool. I don't like the sound of a static TN, since that will remove flexibility in how GM's assign difficulty. But I could deal with all of this, if I trusted Fanpro more.

Here's the thing: Trust is earned. I'd love to trust the Fanpro guys on this, but everything I've seen so far isn't helping. OK, Adam's done a great job on the Shadowrun Supplemental, but he's just about the only one I have any faith in. With the mess that is the SR3 FAQ, it's hard to believe that Fanpro can put together a coherent ruleset. And while I like Steve Kenson as a fiction writer, and while I think Jon Szetzo is one of the nicest guys on the planet, I don't have any faith in their ability to write coherent rules. I'm sorry, but Jon's the one who thought the maneuver score was a simple and easy rule. That's not trust-inspiring.
Jérémie
QUOTE (ankh-le-fixer)
So this message is for the SR4 team to support them in continuing their difficult work and changes notworthy.gif despite the lots of complaints they can see on Dumpshock

Same here. I am mostly pleased with all the changes, both the will to redsign it from ground and the basic limited pieces we can see in the FAQ. The only thing I would like more, is more design from zero ground, aka more drastic changes. But overall I'm satisfied.

And I have most of SR books since SR1, and I just bought a new SR3 rulebook (my first print started to fall apart) just 2 or 3 month ago cyber.gif
Bandwidthoracle
The new matrix stuff makes me nervous, but honestly I cannot think of more capable hands to handle SR4, peace and love to all you devs.
Hasagwan
While I can't say that everything is the way I would like to see the changes, I do now understand why it's being changed. I would like to thank those Devs who are putting the effort forward to explaining to us. Those explenations have really helped me step back and look at things in a little more open manner (also got me to open my SR2 books to bring the SR3 changes into perspective)

I don't know if I'll use the new rule sets, but I know from reading the Devs posts that they're concerned about the same things as I and the bar they're trying to reach is close to what I want (i.e. same shadowrun gritty feel, diversity of characters, and a rule set that supports both) that I'm willing to be patient and see.

The only thing I can strongly urge would be for a way for players to play a true rigger/decker instead of the hybrid if they want (merging is strange but if they can still be seperate if they choose it'll go down smooth enough nyahnyah.gif )
mfb
as long as everyone involved in the process takes responsibility for making the game as good as possible, i think the WMI and SR4 will come out okay.
Ellery
It's easy to avoid decker/rigger hybrids--just don't give people enough points at character creation to be good at both; they must at least use some different skills from each other. So you can be mediocre at both, but you can also be good at one and lousy at the other. Maybe the tests will rely on different attributes, too, further complicating one's attempt to play a high-powered hybrid.
Hasagwan
QUOTE (Ellery)
It's easy to avoid decker/rigger hybrids--just don't give people enough points at character creation to be good at both; they must at least use some different skills from each other. So you can be mediocre at both, but you can also be good at one and lousy at the other. Maybe the tests will rely on different attributes, too, further complicating one's attempt to play a high-powered hybrid.

Ummm..... I'm not talking about me forcing players to be one or the other. I'm hoping that if a player chooses to just rig or deck, that he can if he wants.
Fortune
QUOTE (Hasagwan)
I'm hoping that if a player chooses to just rig or deck, that he can if he wants.

As Ellery says, it will more than likely be based on skills, so it should definitely be possible to concentrate on one and not have any ability in the other.
Vuron
I think it should be still very easy with SR4 as decker types would still focus on computers and electronics while riggers would focus on vehicle skills and mechanical abilities.

If anything I think this new change will bring the Decker and Technician character types together and the Rigger and Mechanic types together as deckers should also be decent techies and riggers should be good gearheads.

One thing that might be a change is that with cyberdecks going bye-bye there might be more of a convergence of the VCR with the decker response increase of thier decks. You could in theory have techie characters who at the cost of being sitting ducks if combat breaks out can jack into the buildings security system at a maglock panel and try to override the system etc.

Just because there appears to be some convergence of the character roles doesn't mean that the roles can't be more clearly defined in gameplay.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
as long as everyone involved in the process takes responsibility for making the game as good as possible, i think the WMI and SR4 will come out okay.

Haven't you ever heard the saying, "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions?"
Wireknight
Actually, the road to hell, in gaming, seems to be paved with the works of designers who don't view massive and overwhelming disagreement with their ideas, by the player-base, as a sign that their idea or ideas might just not be very good or appropriate for integration into the canon ruleset and setting. It's impolitic to outright say that your opinion as to how the game should advance outweighs the opinions of the massed player-base, but I've seen a few decisions made in the history of Shadowrun that certainly gives me the impression that that was what the line developer was thinking.

Sargent and Gasciogne were a good example of this. They had some very good works (Paranormal Animals of Europe was top-notch), but they also had some very bad ideas that a majority of players really didn't like. Rather than interpreting this dissenting view's scope as being indicative that the ideas were probably not such a good thing for the setting, they ignored everyone and canonized them anyhow. Later developers even had to undertake historical revisionist subplots to excise those ideas from the setting at a later time.
Vuron
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Actually, the road to hell, in gaming, seems to be paved with the works of designers who don't view massive and overwhelming disagreement with their ideas, by the player-base, as a sign that their idea or ideas might just not be very good or appropriate for integration into the canon ruleset and setting.

Seriously I think you are giving way too much weight to the frenzied opinions of a handful of diehard messageboard fanatics. If anything I'd say that opinions among a broader subsection of the gaming community like RPGnet (and truthfully that's a very small subsection of the total gaming audience but one of the broadest that you can get a decent amount of feedback from relatively rapidly) tend to think these design changes are a very positive sign.

Sure if the core design goal is lets please every dumpshocker out there they kinda screwed up (althougn I think pleasing every Dumpshocker out there might require a contact drug putting some major happy drug being built into every page of a product) but if you assume that as a company they actually want to make money and <gasp> acchieve sales growth then they have to compete with gaming products like d20 and nWoD etc in gaining new gamers.

Chances are they actually thought about what they wanted to do with the license upon acquiring it and have put in hours of brainsweat trying to generate design goals for a new edition that tries to increase sales without pissing of the existing fanbase.
Solstice
QUOTE (Vuron)
If anything I'd say that opinions among a broader subsection of the gaming community like RPGnet (and truthfully that's a very small subsection of the total gaming audience but one of the broadest that you can get a decent amount of feedback from relatively rapidly) tend to think these design changes are a very positive sign.

Especially since most of the either a) have never played SR or b) haven't played for years...they have no clue what is going on and are mostly naive. The opinion of some RPGers who in the past threw up their hands and walked away from SR in 1st or 2nd edition is very questionable...at least to me. If this is the target of SR$ then I can see the connection based on some of the recent (proposed) changes.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
The opinion of some RPGers who in the past threw up their hands and walked away from SR in 1st or 2nd edition is very questionable...at least to me.

I personally question the opinion of people who's reaction to the huge stinking pile of crud stuffed into the rules was "Yes sir, I'd like another plate of that headache inducing crud, sir!" nyahnyah.gif

If this is the target of SR$ then I can see the connection based on some of the recent (proposed) changes.

That they are targeting people that like to play a game instead of fight against misshapen rules and build their own house work-arounds? If that makes them money grubbers (as the addition of your $ would imply), then I guess I'll have to say money grubbing is a good thing and my friend. *shrug*
Wireknight
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 14 2005, 08:57 PM)
Seriously I think you are giving way too much weight to the frenzied opinions of a handful of diehard messageboard fanatics. If anything I'd say that opinions among a broader subsection of the gaming community like RPGnet (and truthfully that's a very small subsection of the total gaming audience but one of the broadest that you can get a decent amount of feedback from relatively rapidly) tend to think these design changes are a very positive sign.

Eh. Communication of opinions with regard to SR didn't occur via the Dumpshock forums back in the days of Sargent and Gasciogne, or at least, not in the same fashion it does now. Back then, #shadowrun on Undernet IRC, a pseudo-precursor (or at least a starting point, it's still there, albeit on its own server now) was pretty much the biggest game in town, though it wasn't quite as legitimized back then. Regardless, virtually everyone I encountered who played the game was pretty unhappy with the direction those two took the setting and system, back then, and I wouldn't describe their opinions as "frenzied".

I mean, do you think the S&G plot advancements were cool? Catholicism is fake, Vatican uses nukes, Leonardo is an IE that can destroy the global network in a heartbeat with his telepathically connected pseudo-alchemical/enchanted uberdeck, etc, etc...? Ways and Paths that made magicians and adepts from Tir na nOg much, much better than magicians and adepts anywhere else? At the time they were developed, and in the immediate aftermath, there was a lot of "I told you so" and "I don't like this. I really don't like this" from the community, but the same sort of plot introductions kept coming until those two vanished off the radar.

Either way, if a whole lot of people disagree, with only a few people agreeing or at least assuming a neutral stance, then it's probably at least worth it to consider whether or not the changes you're doing are as cool or functional as you believe.
Vuron
QUOTE (Wireknight)
I mean, do you think the S&G plot advancements were cool? Catholicism is fake, Vatican uses nukes, Leonardo is an IE that can destroy the global network in a heartbeat with his telepathically connected pseudo-alchemical/enchanted uberdeck, etc, etc...? Ways and Paths that made magicians and adepts from Tir na nOg much, much better than magicians and adepts anywhere else? At the time they were developed, and in the immediate aftermath, there was a lot of "I told you so" and "I don't like this. I really don't like this" from the community, but the same sort of plot introductions kept coming until those two vanished off the radar.

Note with the exceptions of the Ways and Paths most of the concepts you've mentioned were contained in the metaplot. Even though I personally dislike the ways and paths with the exception of the uber Path of the Righ they remain relatively playable in SR3.

However we've heard zero about how the metaplot will advance in 5 years at this point in time. It's quite possible the metaplot might have some really crappy ideas incorporated but currently we have zero evidence either way. If the metaplot really sucks I'll be definitely in the screaming hooligan category but without some indication I'm not going to assume a return of Leonardo and the uber IEs yet.

So yeah I'm pretty much talking about the mechanics that have been detailed (if detail is actually a valid description) thus far. Based on anecdotal evidence I'd say that feedback is currently pretty positive among the broader gaming community. Yes the type of feedback I've seen on Dumpshock has been on balance negative I've seen the exact same thing happen on specialized messageboards before Dnd 3.0 came out, as nWoD was being announced etc. In general there has always been a certain % of fans that say fuck this and don't upgrade but when those games were released the doubters tend to come back into the fold. I really don't see SR4 and dumpshock being the exception.

I'm not saying that the fears people are expressing are a bad thing to be venting here in fact I tend to see them as a good opportunity for people to brainstorm and share thier ideas. What is kinda funny to me is that I've seen people do the how dare they change my favorite game several times and for the most part I'm always amused when a good percentage of the haters end up being big supporters later on.
Solstice
QUOTE (blakkie)
That they are targeting people that like to play a game instead of fight against misshapen rules and build their own house work-arounds? If that makes them money grubbers (as the addition of your $ would imply), then I guess I'll have to say money grubbing is a good thing and my friend. *shrug*

No no you misunderstand. You must have missed the part where SR$ was determined as the official DSF acronym.
blakkie
DSF people are self-selected as in they are people that generally have the ability to put up with SR3 shortcomings. To the point of denial about fundemental problems with the mechanics, because "damn it, I've dealt with it for years". They also had to invest a lot of effort to reach that mastery of the system, internalizing the dogma. See the reaction I got from suggesting increasing Essense. Essense is arguably the most OOC contrived & arbitrary, IC convoluted mechanism in the entire system. Yet 4 out of 5 DSF would likely save it over their own grandmother.

However we've heard zero about how the metaplot will advance in 5 years at this point in time.

Note quite true. The biggie, Crash of '65, is out. I'm guessing that is pivotal to the changes they are making to the underlying rules. Particularly decking.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 14 2005, 04:10 PM)

No no you misunderstand. You must have missed the part where SR$ was determined as the official DSF acronym.

Yes, yes I did. Link and/or reasoning?
Vuron
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 14 2005, 04:10 PM)

Years of seeing people use T$R and Ha$bro etc has pretty much dimmed the pithy nature of that insult. However I wouldn't be surprised if it pretty much is taken quite personally by the developers and playtesters active here. In any case it's pretty much going to likely cause those people who decide this is a cool insult to lose a good bit of credibility...
Vuron
QUOTE (blakkie)

However we've heard zero about how the metaplot will advance in 5 years at this point in time.

Note quite true. The biggie, Crash of '65, is out. I'm guessing that is pivotal to the changes they are making to the underlying rules. Particularly decking.

Okay I will grant you that but the Crash of '65 being due to the corps using core wars to shatter the world's telecommunication's infrastructure is a lot different than OMG Leonardo used his uberdeck to do a shutdown matrix operation.

We know some vague hints about the metaplot advancing in certain ways although I suspect the Crash of '65 more of a SR3 plot device more than a SR4 metaplot element but details are very very sparse currently.

Note: If system crash is a Leonardo centered adventure than I would tend to say yes some game designers might be getting a handful of choice nastygrams
blakkie
QUOTE (Vuron)
We know some vague hints about the metaplot advancing in certain ways although I suspect the Crash of '65 more of a SR3 plot device more than a SR4 metaplot element but details are very very sparse currently.

But it so handily clears the way for massive rethink of the Matrix and deckers. Perhaps I will expand on the waking dream I had while posting here.

Note: If system crash is a Leonardo centered adventure than I would tend to say yes some game designers might be getting a handful of choice nastygrams

I don't even bother with nastygrams. I'm so use to uber-elves being the center of metaplot happenings that I just flat out ignore the instances and dream up my own reason. It's alway warm and cozy in my Happy-Fun Bubble™.
Wireknight
Don't forget Micro$oft. M$, official video game developer for SR$!

"From the heart of my parents' basement, I stab at thee!"
Pthgar
ohplease.gif very droll.
Fortune
QUOTE (Vuron)
If system crash is a Leonardo centered adventure than I would tend to say yes some game designers might be getting a handful of choice nastygrams

I'd be happy! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012