Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clever street name
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (pragma)
The Sam Riddle refers to had his name derived from Mr. Fisher of Splinter Cell fame, though I am not certain of it. However, given the stealth focus and the night vision goggles and the utility launcher he had the group tech cook up on a cruise to Brazil, I would say its a safe bet.

I don't know if that was the intention or not. He never introduced himself before Riddle started calling him Sam in game. He just looked the part with the ruthie tux and the electronics gear that he had access to.
TimeKeeper
Personally, I've come a long way from the crappy nicknames given (both by friends and to myself). I've used several over the years and the only ones to stick are TimeKeeper (given to me by friends in high school 8-9 years ago) and Nocren (self used and created about 6 years ago).

For characters, The most memorable names I've come up with is Drake Hardedge (total rip off of the cabbie from Quarentine), and recently a new Mage Private Eye, Trent Kammon, or "Trench". Due to the fact that he does where a fedora and trenchcoat and it's a derivitive of his name.

I also used to have a set of elf twin mages that went by the names of Razzle and Dazzle.
Charon
QUOTE (TimeKeeper @ Apr 15 2005, 04:38 PM)
Personally, I've come a long way from the crappy nicknames.  I've used several over the years and the only ones to stick are TimeKeeper...

Not such a long way.

rotfl.gif

No offense intended. wink.gif We use whatever names suit the style of our games.

---

Nikoli : Jude is a good name. In fact there are a slew of saints name that could be used for descriptive or ironic purpose.

I browsed through a site featuring Saints name once, looking for medallion featuring a saint with an ironic patronage. Didn't think of it for SR purpose. Duh.

Patron Saints

My conclusion was that I should get a medallion of St. Barbara, patron of impenitence. biggrin.gif
Smiley
I been to that site once or twice. Good place for NPC ideas.
Nikoli
I too like to use such things, especially in these online games because of the preponderence of my fellow dumpshockers to read so much into every detail, flexing their google trying to glean some clue about the nature of their Johnson, or the Fixer or the guy on the street. It's really fun for laying false trails os mistrust on the players...
Swing Kid
I ran with a guy named Sammy Steel once. We all ragged him until he gave up the Shadows for writing cheesy detective novels.

When you really think of it, the whole name thing is really kinda "20th century comic book." The best names are those that work like real nick-names. For instance, if we have a runner whose last name is Cooper and we call him Coop, or a guy whose favorite cartoon character is Yakko being known as Yakko. These are the best.

If the character is actually a ganger, then more elaborate names are expected, so throw caution to the wind, like having Koolade, Harley-D, or Lugnutz (which I still laugh at). In the Matrix (ahem...the REAL world), then these names should be like the ones we use here, working humor or wordplay. Heck, no Decker in thier right mind (I REFUSE to call us Hackers) would ever go meat-side using their inline names. I would call up my fixer in a heartbeat to put out a hit on someone calling me "Swing Kid," in the sprawl.

Damn, nevermind, those guys at Dante's still call me "the Fiddler," so I guess even I fall prey to that crap. I hate that, I really do. I mean, for Dunk's sake, call me by my real (ahem) name....If you know it.
Kaosaur
Most of my characters are one of either two things:
A play on words of some movie anti-hero, or
A horrible piece of toilet humor, usually something phallic.

One of my characters has an extremely long and strange first name...The only pronounceable part of his name is Pud, so that's what he goes by...but his streetname is Wang. (yes, the first is fat and short and the later is of a much larger stature...don't ask, it wasn't my idea)...

I've also run a Thumper...a "Coach Sniffer" (a highschool girls basketball coach....)...Senor Pecker...and on the other hand Plik Snakeskin (kudos if you can figure reference)

*sigh*....I didn't name any of them at least...I had a really perverted GM.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kaosaur)
Plik Snakeskin (kudos if you can figure reference)

Escape from, I don't know, one of those big cities.
Trax
Escape from New York
Escape from L.A
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Kaosaur @ Apr 15 2005, 10:57 PM)
Plik Snakeskin (kudos if you can figure reference)

Escape from, I don't know, one of those big cities.

Escape from Branson, Missouri? smile.gif
Nikoli
No, you want Bronson, Missouri
TimeKeeper
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (TimeKeeper @ Apr 15 2005, 04:38 PM)
Personally, I've come a long way from the crappy nicknames.  I've used several over the years and the only ones to stick are TimeKeeper...

Not such a long way.

rotfl.gif

No offense intended. wink.gif We use whatever names suit the style of our games.

---

I said I've stopped using them. TimeKeeper was bestoded upon me by my friends long ago and I signed up on the Deep Resonance forums with it because I thought it was cool.

And my character that uses that name is still around. Made him an Otaku turned Decker/Club DJ/Fixer.

Actually, this brings up another point...

Nicknames and callsigns are really only cool among those that use them and bestow them. TimeKeeper for myself was cool and I used to live up to it. I could tell you the time of day rounded to the nearest quarter hour without a watch. I also kept track of any time-based events that me and my friends did.

I've used Nocren for so long. It started as a re-spelling of Conner MacLeod (Nocren Dolemac) on a Final Fantasy board and I've used it on a lot of other boards since. Mainly because TimeKeeper was always fragging taken. Hell Nocren's my Xbox tag now.

I served on a carrier and you can see a lot of pilot callsigns. Some of them made no sense to us not in the squadren, others you just had to look at the names.

(These were Marines BTW)

Lt Alex Hubbard = "Mutha"

Cpt Simon Wood = "Sportin'"

Then there was that one guy they called "Two-bags". (I'll let you figure that one out).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012