Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR on Xbox 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Aristotle
The first M in MMO stands for "massive", although it is sort of cloudy how many players/subscribers a game takes before it is considered "massive". I'm not arguing that NWN was an MMO. It clearly wasn't. What it was, was an excellent toolkit for running visual MUDs. That was a great idea! I've seen several groups running "persistent" modules across multiple connected computers for months at a time. All of that said... There simply isn't a large enough market to make a visual MUD toolkit for Shadowrun a viable product.

I agree that an MMO takes a ton of investment and money to pay for staff, service, and hardware. The geek in me wants to say the individual servers most likely to do run crazy big RAID arrays. The individual servers are likely multiprocessor monsters in their own right but the bulk of the data is likely on network appliance RAID units. I'd estimated the servers at or around $10k each and the RAIDs at $100k and up. But I digress..

Will we get a Shadowrun MMO? No, probably not. But a single player or Co-op game would be nice. Would a Shadowrun MMO be successful? Maybe. It's no worse a concept for a game than others that are on the market and it comes with a small but dedicated fanbase and a certain level of name recognition among role players in general. Sure, it could work. So long as it's good.

The MMO market isn't stopping. More are released every year, and with so many fantasy games on the market already the publishers are starting to look at other assets. The players are itching to get away from swords and elves. That was a key selling point for City of Heroes, and I'm sure it will lend to the success of Matrix Online (which bored me to tears in beta).

All IMHO, of course.
mintcar
I personaly do not hope for a MMORPG. But the people who say graphics and sound would be worse on a console than their PCīs should know that the next Xbox is said to be equiped with 3 parallell 3 GHz processors and a graphics card of the 500 Mb variaty. I doubt many PCīs will have those specs in a year or so even. Microsoft are flexing their muscles. If itīs true that a Shadowrun game will be among the launch titles like the rumor says, the game will have an insane budget no matter what genre it is. Forget any thoughts about Shadowrun not being strong enough a brand for a top of the line CRPG. If thatīs what Microsoft is planning, they can make it successful with marketing. Not every computer game has a well known name you know. In fact the ones who do are often not very successful (unless the name is from the previous game in a series). Most games licensed from movies suck, for example. There has been a lot of requests for a Shadowrun game. Mechwarrior is a popular series of games. There is a hole to fill in the CRPG market for a present-time or future-time game. I think it would be good buisness.
Wireknight
3 parallel processors? For some reason, can't quite put my finger on it, I'm skeptical.

And, unless X-Box 2 is a terrifying leap in technological capability (or a terrifying loss in hardware costs for Microsoft), it'll probably be equalled or outclassed by the average well-designed gaming PC within four to six months. Of course, it could be. I heard talk that it employs a new Power PC architecture, and Power PC can be mean for tasks that aren't x86-specialized.
RunnerPaul
Because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, any attempt at a Shadowrun MMORPG would be in close competition with the new "Matrix Online" MMORPG that's starting up.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (UV-Host)
Do you think Shadowrun for the Xbox 2 (which possibly will be a MMORPG) could/should use the new SR 4 P&P rules?

What makes you think there will be a Shadowrun game for the Xbox 2 anyway?

The only positive thing I can think of regarding a potential SR console game is that it almost certainly won't be an MMORPG.
Vuron
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, any attempt at a Shadowrun MMORPG would be in close competition with the new "Matrix Online" MMORPG that's starting up.

Actually looking back at the topic I mentioned Matrix Online on the second page wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Vuron)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Apr 15 2005, 07:12 AM)

Actually looking back at the topic I mentioned Matrix Online on the second page wink.gif

I think he ment pointing out how SR would be going head-to-head against that competition-wise, in what would be a somewhat niche market. I believe there would be some Anarchy Online overlap too, though AO might be more a help than hindrance given it's age.
Nikoli
And the fact that it's inane, dated before it was loaded, and has a bad history, regardless of what the current form may or may not be.

Also, Microsoft is no stranger to the MMO world. They brought us Ascheron's Call and AC 2 I believe. So, unlike Blizzard who jumped into the world of real DB tweaking (more than a million rows and a few thousand concurrent connections and multiple updates per connection) without the benefit of real world experience, they already have experienced DBA's who should know what to not do. I think, if they went with a MMO game for SR, they could have a much smoother launch, but the content would be shallow for some time.
Like many folks have said, SR doesn't lend itself to spawn camping. And let's face it, high body count, while fun but unrealistic in many cases in pen and paper SR, doing what many believe to be a proper shadow run (almost nil body count) you'd never have any karma to advance with.
Also, few MMO's work with a [pseudo]-classless system (SR 1~3 had 2 classes, awakened and everyone else, as if you didn't have the magic attribute fromt eh start, you never would. SR 4 might change that, but who knows). SWG has a very fluid class system, allowing you to change many, many, many aspects over time, but it stunk as far as immersion into the star wars 'universe' I mean come on, Storm troopers are commonly found walking around the Rebel recruiting officer and not harrassing them or those that sign up.

I don't think an MMO would be best for SR, however a system like NWN/KOTOR would be awesome. Multiple headed mission objectives, with new missions unlocked based on your performance in the mission, putting together groups on the fly, a GM console, etc. would be freaking cool for the game. Though, they do need to make it a truly 3D environment, unlike NWN (no climbing, incredibly limited ranged combat, etc.) though luckily, they shouldn't have to remove too much from the mechanics like Bioware had to.
Tanka
QUOTE (Vuron)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Apr 15 2005, 07:12 AM)

And Matrix Online is a subpar overglamorization of a movie series gone to pot. The first was good, but only because the Wachowski brothers stole the script (and have just had their pants sued off). After that, the only good thing was the music and CGI. The fighting was so-so and the script was worse than terrible.

That said, MO is filled with bugs and annoyances that just make for a game that is doomed to failure.

However, I'm with the general consensus that the closest we may ever have to a Shadowrun game was Deus Ex. Anything beyond that has way too many problems with implementing something that isn't totally solid.

While it isn't hard to make something roll a set amount of dice (no Combat Pool, so maybe 4th Ed will bring the game closer than we think) against a set TN, getting something to reroll the sixes isn't hard, but annoying. Then making it do a simple while loop to check for any sixes and reroll those, adding up the results every time.

But here's the kicker: Combat. That 9M is pretty subjective, as it has the same chance to hit everybody. Whereas in the d20 system, it's d20 + attack bonus vs AC, SR is (as we all know) (Combat Skill)d6 vs a TN of (representative TN of distance to target) modified by various things (so many variables!). After that, it's (Damage Code of Weapon, possibly staged up)(Damage Level, staged up) - (Ballistic or Impact Armor) vs Body.

See how annoying it would be to code something like that? d20 is pretty straightforward when it comes to getting smacked with a dagger (1d6 damage after the to-hit roll), whereas getting slashed by a dagger in SR is much, much more obscure in total representation.

Yes, yes, only 4 damage levels. But then there's all the inbetween damages, like taking an L after taking an M. Then both the Stun and Physical monitors, and things like Platelet Factories and Trauma Dampers... It boggles the mind of a programmer to try to come up with code that works.
Vuron
QUOTE (blakkie)

I think he ment pointing out how SR would be going head-to-head against that competition-wise, in what would be a somewhat niche market. I believe there would be some Anarchy Online overlap too, though AO might be more a help than hindrance given it's age.

Yes from a strictly competition standpoint the Matrix Online is a scary competitor as it seems to be getting a good amount of support from Time Warner. I'm not saying that another cyberpunkish MMORPG wouldn't get a bunch of "Well they are just copying the Matrix" comments from the gaming media.
Blitzen
The Matrix Online is Craptacular!, and thankfully not the only cyberpunkish MMO there, there is also Neocron 1 and 2, Face of Mankind and a few others. As far as console games or PC titles go there has been Deus Ex 1 and 2 and One for the PS1 among others. So there is a small ever growing genre and what better game to bring it to the forefront than Shadowrun. As for the rumors, who knows, it could happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's some links to a few of the many rumors.

Shadowrun Coming?
Microsoft Renews Shadowrun Trademark
Vendetta Studios rumor
Project Phoenix

Edit: I just found another link today that I thought I should add.
Xdome
Fortune
Was Deus X ever ported to the PC?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Fortune)
Was Deus X ever ported to the PC?

If you mean Deus Ex, it was originally a PC game.
DarusGrey
And, unless X-Box 2 is a terrifying leap in technological capability (or a terrifying loss in hardware costs for Microsoft), it'll probably be equalled or outclassed by the average well-designed gaming PC within four to six months. Of course, it could be. I heard talk that it employs a new Power PC architecture, and Power PC can be mean for tasks that aren't x86-specialized.

Just to note on this, all the next generation of consoles will be more powerful then "gaming PCs" for ahwile after thier release. This isn't speculation anymore, I'm looking at the spec sheets right now for my company on what we're expected to develop for. These machines are just outright sick in power(and I'm sorry that I can't elaborate more due to NDAs about things not public knowledge).

Xbox2 will feature 3 3.0ghz cores, and the PS3 will feature *8* 4+ghz cores , and Nintendo Revolution is supposedly some hybrid of cell/powerpc artitechture(both made by IBM anyways), though no concrete info on NR, since we've only recieved "expected" figures, and the SDKs are just heavily modafied gamecube ones.

I realize its totally off-topic, just felt a need to correct the above assumptions ;>

In all honesty though, "Gaming PCs" are not going to catch up for awhile(if ever), the benefits of a standardized programming enviroment on hardware thats already equal/better then the best PCs (When current consoles can already approach the level of gaming pcs in terms of efficency) is just too much a gap to close.

Did I mention they're sick? *sighs at the costs of new workstations for them*

Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Apr 16 2005, 03:16 AM)
If you mean Deus Ex, it was originally a PC game.

Yeah I meant Deus Ex! I was reading Blitzen's post, and just didn't think about it. biggrin.gif
Vuron
QUOTE (DarusGrey)

Xbox2 will feature 3 3.0ghz cores, and the PS3 will feature *8* 4+ghz cores , and Nintendo Revolution is supposedly some hybrid of cell/powerpc artitechture(both made by IBM anyways), though no concrete info on NR, since we've only recieved "expected" figures, and the SDKs are just heavily modafied gamecube ones.

Wow I can see three CPUs being used in the XBox2 (presumably one or more of them would be dedicated to graphics processing) but 8 CPUs in a PS3 seems like alot of juice and a bunch of heat to displace. I imagine form factor might really take a hit unless we are talking about including some sort of active cooling.

Of course the concept of actually beginning to program a game to take advantage of that sort of hardware seems especially daunting if we begin talking about true parallel processing being utilized in these machines.

Further if they are such heavy duty systems I begin to think that we might see a really big drive to have Linux on Xbox2 as the cost of the hardware is heavily subsidized.
Tanka
IIRC, the PS3 is using cell technology as well (I know a guy who works at IBM, he's been keeping up with some of the stuff they're working on for the PS3). As a result, cooling shouldn't be a big issue.
DarusGrey
Of course the concept of actually beginning to program a game to take advantage of that sort of hardware seems especially daunting if we begin talking about true parallel processing being utilized in these machines.

Yah, trust me, it is daunting, chances are we arn't gonna see any games that fully take advantage of alot of the features until very late in thier life-cycle.
mintcar
WireKnight: Iīm sceptical too, but I read those specs in a game magazine anyway. It may be bogus, but I also read about PS3 and itīs specs were even more frightening. Who knows, maybe we are witnessing a great leap in computer technology. If the rumors are true, there must be some kind of inovation going on, making these monsters a lot more cost effective and making them require less cooling. I donīt know very much about these things, but I do know enough to be a bit dumbstruck by these reports.
Rev
QUOTE (DarusGrey @ Apr 15 2005, 05:45 PM)
Just to note on this, all the next generation of consoles will be more powerful then "gaming PCs" for ahwile after thier release.

Except for consoles having half the ram, no hard disk, and far poorer screen resolution.

They'll be better in some ways at least for a while, and start out worse in others and fall further and further behind. The only lasting advantage they have over pc's is hardware standardization. Todays middle of the road gaming pc blows both consoles out of the water in every way. I expect that the same will be true in 2011. Halflife2 isn't a pc only game because they don't want to sell another few million units, its because the game is far beyond what anyone has managed to do with current consoles.

It is going to be cool... real physics in console games. smile.gif
Pthgar
QUOTE (UV-Host @ Apr 14 2005, 02:58 PM)
Do you think Shadowrun for the Xbox 2 (which possibly will be a MMORPG) could/should use the new SR 4 P&P rules?

Where did the info that there was going to be a SR game for XBox 2 come from?

[edit] Sorry, I didn't see the four flippin' links above.
DarusGrey
Except for consoles having half the ram, no hard disk, and far poorer screen resolution.

Well you have the ram right, but then again, in a console, 1/2 the ram isn't being eatten up by the OS either.
But thats sorta a moot point, all the new consoles have 256-512 ram..which in a console is TONS, because most programs in consoles are optimized, you don't have to write a console game designed to work across 10,000 possible pieces of hardware, just one.

That said, the Xbox2 will have a HDD, not getting the HDD is also an option, theres a package for both.

PS3 is still up in the air on the HDD.

NR I can't comment cause most of its specs are still a mystery.

However, "far poorer" screen revolution is definetly wrong, both the PS3 and Xbox2 are standized around 1080i (1920xwhatever resolution, higher then most monitors go).
Both are also supposed to have DVI cables as an option in you actually want to hook them up to a monitor.

But with HD becomming more and more common, the next gen consoles are built around taking advantage of it.

Oh and for the record..I can 100% confirm none of this stuff is "bogus"..its all public information availible via public announcements made by the respective companies.

As I said before, these machines are just outright sick, its going to be a very interesting year for consoles.
But really, I guess people will have to wait later in the year to see, but PCs are not catching up anytime soon, and I say this as an avid PC gamer who will be very saddened that my yearly $2000 investments will be trumped out by a $250 product.
(HL2 is actually supposed to be a release title for xbox2, and it hardly uses a fraction of availible resouces).
mintcar
I had missed your post DarusGrey. I beleive you, I just wanted to cover my ass because all I had was unsubstantiated rumors.

It does truely seem like PCīs will have a hard time catching up. You seem to know a bit about this. Can you reveal anything about how this "sick" thing is possible? These things will shove gaming computers out of the market if the price of said computers isnīt reduced to a fraction. It all seems like a wet dream for the gaming consumer. Almost to good to be true.
blakkie
QUOTE (DarusGrey)

Well you have the ram right, but then again, in a console, 1/2 the ram isn't being eatten up by the OS either.
But thats sorta a moot point, all the new consoles have 256-512 ram..which in a console is TONS, because most programs in consoles are optimized, you don't have to write a console game designed to work across 10,000 possible pieces of hardware, just one.

However you do need to watch that RAM as will they include video RAM. A lot of PCs have that much RAM in their video card alone. I have 1/2 that much in my video card, but only because I've got an year-old card.
DarusGrey
The final amount of video ram actually hasn't been determined yet, though we've been told to expect certain figures.The Video ram/unit is seperate from system ram (no surprise..just like a regular PC).

Heres a minor public spec sheet.

"CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible. :

The video card thing is correct, Xbox2 is current slated to use next generation tech from ATI along time before its made availible to the PC market.
We're also told to expect 512 system ram now as opposed to 256.

As to someone's question of why consoles are suddenly getting all this "beyond pc" tech, answers fairly similar and delves into minor conspiracy theories ;>.
Basicially Intel/Amd's business model doesn't allow this stuff, we could of had 4ghz chips 8 years ago if it was simply a matter of having the technology and fabrication to make them. But..then..that isn't as profitable as releasing the chips over 10 years in very minor power boosts..now is it?.

So basically..the three big console makers (MS, Sony, and Nintendo are ALL using IBM chips..coincidence?).
Basically "Hey..you make chips..you don't compete in this market, we'll send over some truckloads of money to develop this technology for us"...and they did.

Once they start putting these things in consumer electronics and such, I expect there to be major waves from the intel/amd arenas

(and for the record, as I've stated in past, I'm a game developer, so I'm obviously very knowledgeable about my own industry wink.gif)
blakkie
There is manufacturing, and then there is manufacturing at a price that people are willing to pay.

P.S. Some Hertz are more equal than others. It's been a while since i looked at the PowerPC, but wasn't it tilted towards RISC, and even with pipelining generally needed the extra cycles to accomplish the same computations?
DarusGrey
P.S. Some Hertz are more equal than others. It's been a while since i looked at the PowerPC, but wasn't it tilted towards RISC, and even with pipelining generally needed the extra cycles to accomplish the same computations?

Pretty much, the main point was this technology has been availible for better part of a decade, the big 3 just finally got together and decided to "make" it economically feasible for thier consumer development.

Hopefully it'll bootkick the PC industry into some *real* advances and I'll be totally wrong that they won't catch up.
blakkie
QUOTE (DarusGrey @ Apr 17 2005, 01:40 PM)

Pretty much, the main point was this technology has been availible for better part of a decade, the big 3 just finally got together and decided to "make" it economically feasible for thier consumer development.

Hopefully it'll bootkick the PC industry into some *real* advances and I'll be totally wrong that they won't catch up.

Huh? The PowerPC tried and flopped a while back. There may have been industry compeditors that worked against it, but effort was put in. In the end it was the consumers that had the final thumbs up/down.

Yes, the frequency was higher on the PowerPC then too, but like I said some Hertzs are more equal than others. Because it's more RISC-like they can have a smaller die (less junctions/transistors), which means less heat at the same frequency.

EDIT: A *real* advance would be for software to stop bloating with little return. Then we could reap more benefits from hardware advances. wink.gif
DarusGrey
There may have been industry compeditors that worked against it, but effort was put in. In the end it was the consumers that had the final thumbs up/down.

I wasn't specifically referring to the powerPC core (my mistake if seemed that way), just the industry in general, that the business model of Intel/AMD strifles hardware advancement in the name of profits (Honestly, not that you'd expect otherwise..). I was just saying that hopefully some serious competition will finally give them a kick to push faster.

PowerPC has still been used in macs and consumer consoles for along time to great success (though thats going offtopic yet again..lol).

Kaosaur
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: A *real* advance would be for software to stop bloating with little return. Then we could reap more benefits from hardware advances. wink.gif

Preach it, man...
Preach it!
Blitzen
The rumor/prospect of a Shadowrun video game over the last year or so has really started picking up some steam. If you do any kind of search you will find forums everywhere discussing the possiblity and people because of it are finding out about the 4th edition. As previously stated by Kagetenshi in the Decking versus Hacking Thread, its terms like Rigger, Decker and drek that seem to be familarities between the fans. Muzer Fuzin Mizo Branzin Hacker term. Anyway, with the heightened awareness of Shadowrun properties, and with any luck, there is a fair chance a video game could be done.

Just a few of the many, many Links

D&D Online Forums
G4 Forums
Petition
RPG Codex
Gamedev.net
MMPlay.de
Pthgar
Perhaps there is some coordination in the vid game developement and the pen and paper.
mmu1
Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's just one the aforementioned "minor conspiracy theories", but didn't Microsoft essentially sell X-Boxes at a loss just to successfully grab a large share of the market?

They might very well be doing the same thing again, God knows they can afford to.
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1)
Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's just one the aforementioned "minor conspiracy theories", but didn't Microsoft essentially sell X-Boxes at a loss just to successfully grab a large share of the market?

They might very well be doing the same thing again, God knows they can afford to.

Consoles usually sell at a loss to the manufacturer early in it's lifecycle, and around break-even later on. It's a lead-loss to make money on the software franchising fees they charge for game developers. Console makers pay very close attention to one particular sales statistic, average games bought per console. They need multiple games/console to make their money and then start turning a profit.
Rev
Min-spec limits the technology. Optional hard drive means that the vast majority of the games must support no hard drive. Same thing with the resolution. xbox2 and ps3 games must be playable on a regular tv.

Heh, that xbox spec sheet is funny. Haven't looked at the public spec's before.

"Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM."
Translation, "please don't pay attention to how much this part of the spec sucks, we have to save a buck someplace".
It isn't embarassing now that it is up to 512 though.

" "
Translation, "ok we really really don't want to talk about video ram, so just move along".
Video ram itself isn't nearly as important as on a pc, but it makes the total ram comparison significantly worse. When I said 'half' before its because the video ram on a pc pretty much wipes out the operating system overhead advantage of the console.

"Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X. "
Twice as much data on one disk and 2-3x faster. That's no quantum leap. Actually it's going to be really irritating with no hard disk, many more pixels to draw, and lots more processors to keep busy with only a little more data. Multi-disk games on the way? PS3 is better here with blue-ray but there are even more processors to feed!

If the Cell is half as good as the hype it will be in gaming pc's in a few years. If it is as good as claimed it will be in every electronic device smarter than a calculator. smile.gif

It isn't suprising that consoles come up with new architectures more often than pc's. They are monolithic. Most PC hardware manufacturers are really component manufacturers. They have to fit into the existing tech or spend a lot of money switching people over. Really I think the xbox is decidedly the oddball in not coming up with its own wierd architecture instead being a stripped down pc with a really nice GPU.

It's going to be an interesting time.

Microsoft will be first to market with a significantly less powerfull unit, but probably better tools. Sony comes out of last gen with a big lead and the heavy hardware some months later but nobody knows how much of a pain it will be to use it. Nintendo lurks in the bushes with some kind of a suprise.

PS Intel & AMD are supposedly starting to sell dual core CPU's for PC's this week.
Superbum
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Like many folks have said, SR doesn't lend itself to spawn camping.  And let's face it, high body count, while fun but unrealistic in many cases in pen and paper SR, doing what many believe to be a proper shadow run (almost nil body count) you'd never have any karma to advance with.

You could work it like World of Warcraft does and offer mission/quests (shadowruns.....) and upon completion you get karma. Besides, I've never awarded karma for kills as a DM anyways why would it change for a MMO.
Slacker
QUOTE (Superbum)
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Like many folks have said, SR doesn't lend itself to spawn camping.  And let's face it, high body count, while fun but unrealistic in many cases in pen and paper SR, doing what many believe to be a proper shadow run (almost nil body count) you'd never have any karma to advance with.

You could work it like World of Warcraft does and offer mission/quests (shadowruns.....) and upon completion you get karma. Besides, I've never awarded karma for kills as a DM anyways why would it change for a MMO.

It's not so much that a MMO has to award experience (or karma in Shadowrun's case) for kills, but it is definitely how most is gained.

For a Shadowrun MMORPG not to do so would be a major departure from the genre and probably too big of one. The hours that people spend playing such games are mostly filled with mindless killing to level up, with the occasional quest to break up the monotony.

If Shadowrun does become a MMORPG with only giving karma awards for missions, it will necessitate a hell of a lot more scripting than any other such game to maintain a steady player base.

Not that it couldn't be done. I just don't see it happening.
mfb
a setup like MxO would work. trying to level by spawn camping in MxO is a waste of time--it's usually too difficult to be worth it, and always gives too little XP to be worth it. the way to grind is to do missions, which you get from contacts that you find.

that said, i don't want an SR MMO.
Superbum
I would love a MMO that didn't focus on racking up kills for xp. WoW and MxO both have pretty unique takes on gaining xp to lvl or raise skills. Plus, for being a departure on standard MMO settings, WoW has a pretty big player base.

IMHO, a MMO based on SR that awards karma for run completion would be far more fun than a SR MMO that awards xp for kills. Just like WoW it could be easy for both casual and power gamers to "level" and would cut down on farmers.
Nikoli
Well, that's the thing with SR. There should really be little to no farming.
It's not like there are really rare pistols out there.
Instead of picking up a "rare uber gun" your chances of getting can use the already established gear aquisition rules. Etiquette tests, contacts, etc. All available on the street gear is listed (based on what the contact can sell) and then you make a test to see if one is available. They could even code in the paying more to get it rules.

I hated that aspect of SWG. The Heavy Blaster pistol (Like Han used) was one of the most dangerous weapons, both in the movies and in the pen and paper versions of the Starwars universe, yet it was a low end POS in SWG.
DarusGrey
A SR MMO would probly work alot better then most would think, the problem is most people tend to take MMO and think about the crap put forth by WoW, EQ etc, and then try to fit SR into *those* mechanics..and surprise..isn't gonna work.

"Farming" your right, wouldn't work, the "reward" for a shadowrun should take the form of contacts mainly, or maybe to get something "rare" you have to actually steal it if you can't buy it.

At least in the version I have in my mind.. SR would fit great into an MMO, or just a good RPG.

The only issue is with the advancement system, the karma system (as stands in SR3) is just not compatible.

Alot of the "balance factor" in it is fact that it can take several years of RL playing to get to the saturation point where you have so much karma it just starts getting silly.

A game on otherhand tends to accelerate that, I imagine if an MMO had current advancement mechanics..the best characters would all be Samurai/adepts who have 0.1 essence millons of cyber..and spent 1000 karma on initation/power points, because the acceleration allows that kinda thing to happen alot faster then it would in tabletop game.

But since this is in SR4 section..maybe alot of these issues are corrected.
Kaosaur
Actually, I would think it would work great as an MMO.

You could eliminate farming and use the Availabilty scores as hard and fast rules for item rarity.

As far as scripting goes, all the devs have to do is compile a very vast set of runs. Most runs fit into a set few types anyway...very repetetive stuff. Teams could go on short quests Phantasy Star Online style and it would work extremely well...

And if anyone wants to "borg" they can go Ghoul-hunting in abandoned buildings just like in the Shadowrun game for Genesis....

SR would be EXTREMELY easy to make into an MMO and the best part is that it wouldn't be the same as all the other games and could still retain almost all of Shadowrun's flavor.

People would sit in bars and stuff and wait for runs to drop on them (or they can obtain them in other ways) and there can be scripted random events dropped on the whole bar. Great stuff for everyone...It would take a lot of work on the developers parts BUT...they don't have to keep adding and tweaking content because the system and items are already there. They would only need to do periodic updates to the system as a whole and could focus the rest of their time on adding content (runs, runs and more runs).

The only tricky part really is finding ways to allow players to expand their influence in game and actually apply that in ways that every other player can use.
Nikoli
The biggest hurdle I see to it is that the initiative system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012